Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

neomax
Topic Author

What are the chances of Tehran-Toronto?

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:51 am

Seeing as YYZ is known for hosting a wide variety of airlines not seen at JFK or LAX, and with relations much less frosty than those between the US and Iran, as well as a sizable Iranian diaspora in Toronto, and with an A330 capable of operating the flight, what are the chances of seeing Tehran-Toronto in the future?

hisham

Re: What are the chances of Tehran-Toronto?

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:55 am

Very slim.

Bobloblaw

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:00 am

neomax wrote:
Seeing as YYZ is known for hosting a wide variety of airlines not seen at JFK or LAX, and with relations much less frosty than those between the US and Iran, as well as a sizable Iranian diaspora in Toronto, and with an A330 capable of operating the flight, what are the chances of seeing Tehran-Toronto in the future?

Which wide variety of airlines serve YYZ that dont serve JFK???

neomax
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:23 am

Bobloblaw wrote:

Off the top of my head, I can think of Cubana, Azores, Ethiopian, Pakistan, and Jet Airways.

Bobloblaw

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:26 am

neomax wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

Off the top of my head, I can think of Cubana, Azores, Ethiopian, Pakistan, and Jet Airways.

ok, well i guess that is along the lines of IR

Dominion301

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:33 am

neomax wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

Here’s three biggies off the top of my head that serve YYZ, but not JFK (2/3 used to): Air Canada, WestJet and everyone’s favourite :stirthepot: United :rotfl:

As for YYZ-Tehran, it appeared to be moving towards possibly happening (would need a bilateral too of course), but with Drumpf and company around for at least another 2.5 years, it won’t be anytime soon.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:37 am

Slim to none.

And I would think that "none" has the best chance.

YYZatcboy

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:38 am

Dominion301 wrote:
neomax wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

Here’s three biggies off the top of my head that serve YYZ, but not JFK (2/3 used to): Air Canada, WestJet and everyone’s favourite :stirthepot: United :rotfl:

As for YYZ-Tehran, it appeared to be moving towards possibly happening (would need a bilateral too of course), but with Drumpf and company around for at least another 2.5 years, it won’t be anytime soon.

WestJet serves JFK from YYC daily...

spinkid

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:55 am

I think the original poster was wondering more along political lines, what airlines can you see in Canada, but not U.S.

Cubana, Pakistan, Jet Airways.............................

tpaewr

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:02 am

Nihl

whywhyzee

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:10 pm

YYZ was planning on making YYZ their inaugural North American destination following the delivery of their new widebodies and a relaxation of sanctions. I actually worked with their PR team to supply some photos for the launch promos. Now that the sanctions are not being dropped and it seems nothing is going to change, I don't imagine they will be doing much if any growth.

FlyRow

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:45 pm

After 'Argo-movie' .... 100% likely with all that movie traffic.

-very very slim traffic plus rather long flight, real chance: nihil-

LGAviation

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:56 pm

There is quite a sizeable community of people that travel between North America and Iran and that could be a major future business opportunity for them. The question for them is how to reach them and at what cost to their other network.

While Canada certainly would be possible under the current sanctions regime, that would only give them direct access to the sizeable community in Canada itself but it would tie quite a few aircraft at the time when many European routes (HAM, MXP, FRA, CGN...) could probably handle upgauges or increases in frequency if Iran Air had more new aircraft.

I personally think that they should develop a stronger partnership with either LH or TK which both are already strong Iran Air destinations and focus on connections through these places which only for Canadian passengers would be an inconvenience while American passengers probably won't mind connecting at one or the other airport.

If flying to the US or Canada, Iranians are exempt from the requirement for transit visas connecting though Europe.

longhauler

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Tehran was on the list of "possibilities" for new Air Canada routes. I haven't heard much since.

I think it is like Beirut. There is a definite commercial case for the route, but political issues overshadow.

Dominion301

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:27 pm

YYZatcboy wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
neomax wrote:

WestJet serves JFK from YYC daily...

Oh right, I forgot that they had moved from EWR to be closer to DL. But United says it all, LOL.

yowza

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:37 pm

longhauler wrote:
I think it is like Beirut. There is a definite commercial case for the route, but political issues overshadow.

:checkmark:
/Thread

keesje

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:38 pm

If DT moves out of the way Southern CA would be a big THR market, currently filling EK A380s to LAX.

cougar15

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:44 pm

keesje wrote:
If DT moves out of the way Southern CA would be a big THR market, currently filling EK A380s to LAX.

.. and here was me thinking they were only full of Indians, as many a US poster often tells us relating to EK existence & success …... ;) ;)

I see prospects of such service, if for no other reasons, just for the Canadians to stick the middle finger to the chaps next door! The market would surely be there.

neomax
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:21 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
YYZ was planning on making YYZ their inaugural North American destination following the delivery of their new widebodies and a relaxation of sanctions. I actually worked with their PR team to supply some photos for the launch promos. Now that the sanctions are not being dropped and it seems nothing is going to change, I don't imagine they will be doing much if any growth.

Very interesting. Looks like they got a lot closer than I thought.

LGAviation wrote:
There is quite a sizeable community of people that travel between North America and Iran and that could be a major future business opportunity for them. The question for them is how to reach them and at what cost to their other network.

While Canada certainly would be possible under the current sanctions regime, that would only give them direct access to the sizeable community in Canada itself but it would tie quite a few aircraft at the time when many European routes (HAM, MXP, FRA, CGN...) could probably handle upgauges or increases in frequency if Iran Air had more new aircraft.

I personally think that they should develop a stronger partnership with either LH or TK which both are already strong Iran Air destinations and focus on connections through these places which only for Canadian passengers would be an inconvenience while American passengers probably won't mind connecting at one or the other airport.

If flying to the US or Canada, Iranians are exempt from the requirement for transit visas connecting though Europe.

If the question is about aircraft, they can probably make it work with a few more secondhand A330's.

Freshside3

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:05 am

Would service from YUL work?

neomax
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:17 am

Freshside3 wrote:
Would service from YUL work?

Why wouldn't it work from YYZ?

willenglish

Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:26 am

IF it happens, I think it’d be on AC instead of IR. I don’t see it happening though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos