Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SUNCTRY738
Topic Author

SEA IAF project update

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:38 am

Can anyone provide us an update on the current status of the SEA IAF construction? The Port's website is pretty limited for any updates and I haven't found much of anything useful through internet searches during this summer.

Any firm completion date? Any firm number of gates and gate assignments yet?

Thanks

Prost

Re: SEA IAF project update

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:58 am

No increase in gates with the IAF project. Way behind schedule, structural steel went up about 6 weeks ago. They are currently building the support on the A concourse for the sky ridge, and ground work has begun in S satellite support for the sky ridge as well.

Overthecascades

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:07 am

Over budget Too.

TransWorldOne

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:08 am

What is SEA'S long term plan for growth? Isn't the new IAF already going to be over capacity during peak hours? The airport is an absolute mad house with little room to expand. Can PAE realistically take some of the pressure off SEA?

SUNCTRY738
Topic Author

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:09 am

So maybe a 2020 completion?

910A

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:18 am

Here is a link to a time-lapse showing the progress of construction up to July 13, 2018.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1vzTfi ... e=youtu.be
Note the year is incorrect on the video, per the Port the year is 2018.

Further research shows the tentative date of opening is now Feb 2020.
The expected cost of the new International Arrivals Facility at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport has swelled since last August by a further $40 million and now stands at $830 million, or 21 percent higher than originally estimated, according to a memo prepared by the Port of Seattle.

In addition, officials announced at a Port Commissioners meeting this past week that the project is running five months late and is now not expected to open until February 2020.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... -schedule/

717atOGG

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:45 am

TransWorldOne wrote:
What is SEA'S long term plan for growth? Isn't the new IAF already going to be over capacity during peak hours? The airport is an absolute mad house with little room to expand. Can PAE realistically take some of the pressure off SEA?

In SEA's master plan, there's a preliminary plan for a new terminal as an extension of Concourse D. Of course, that wouldn't open until the mid-late 2020's, but currently a 8-gate expansion of the North Satellite and a holdroom for hardstand flights are both being built currently to alleviate some of the gate crunch. I'm not sure if the new IAF will be over capacity during peak hours, but things have gotten so bad at the current facility that new airlines have had to get creative with their times on the ground, such as CX, who will arrive at 9 pm when no other widebodies would be using the IAF.

As for PAE, it can't realistically take pressure off of SEA. IIRC it is being built in a tight area with no real room to expand, plus it only has 2 gates (there is technically room for 3 though if one gate is split into two RJ gates). At most it's a niche airport for northern Seattle and Everett plus surrounding areas, kind of like a mini DAL.
A320/321, A332, 712, 73G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, E145, E175, CR9

wedgetail737

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:40 am

Aren't they allocating several gates on the A concourse as international-capable gates?

dashdrvr

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:14 am

Overthecascades wrote:
Over budget Too.

I really don't see the point in a 830 million dollar expansion. By ATC standards the airport is over capacity during normal hours. 15 plane lineups for takeoff and hour and half ground stops for flights less than 1 and half in length. More gates only makes it worse. Food Court is a disaster. Not near enough food services for amount of people flowing through. SEA went from a so so airport to a hole along the lines of the old DTW airport in pretty short order.

Sancho99504

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:31 am

dashdrvr wrote:
Overthecascades wrote:
Over budget Too.

I really don't see the point in a 830 million dollar expansion. By ATC standards the airport is over capacity during normal hours. 15 plane lineups for takeoff and hour and half ground stops for flights less than 1 and half in length. More gates only makes it worse. Food Court is a disaster. Not near enough food services for amount of people flowing through. SEA went from a so so airport to a hole along the lines of the old DTW airport in pretty short order.

Lack of gates is one of the biggest reasons why the place gets so backed up during peak hours. Having to park airplanes midfield for 30-40 minutes while waiting on gates causes problems. Having one way only taxiways coming into the gate areas cause some serious backups too. If I'm going to A12, I have to wait for everyone and their mom on A, B and half of S ti get out of the way. It used to be two way traffic in the alleyways.......
They built the west runway so that they could maintain simultaneous runway operations during inclement weather. You have 2 runways to use to clear out departures whilst using the west runway for continuous landings... but hey, it makes too much sense to do that
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

ER757

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:02 pm

dashdrvr wrote:
Overthecascades wrote:
Over budget Too.

Food court situation is temporary while the construction at the Central Terminal is underway - when completed, not only will the previously existing spaces be back, but additional food options along with a viewing area will be opening on the mezzanine level. If the drawings are any indication, it will be quite impressive.

BA

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:52 pm

The IAF will increase the number of international capable gates from the current 12 to 20 gates by converting several of the Concourse A gates into international capable.

In addition, the new hall will comfortably be able to handle 2,600 passengers per hour which is more than double the capacity of the current hall in the South Satellite.

It cannot come soon enough.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Prost

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:50 pm

It will offer more international capable gates, but it will not provide more gates.

iamlucky13

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Prost wrote:
No increase in gates with the IAF project.

The Port says:
Nearly double international capable gates (from 12 to 20)

However, if I understand right, that is due to converting some domestic gates in the A-concourse to international, not building more gates. The Port apparently does not care about making clear information about the project easy to find on their website.

The same website still lists the budget as $790 million, even though it was reported over 4 months ago it had grown to $840 million.

Looking back at past reporting, it was "originally" $605 million in 2015, but it's not hard to search back another year and see that at the time detailed design started, the expected cost was $316 million.

717atOGG wrote:
As for PAE, it can't realistically take pressure off of SEA. IIRC it is being built in a tight area with no real room to expand, plus it only has 2 gates (there is technically room for 3 though if one gate is split into two RJ gates). At most it's a niche airport for northern Seattle and Everett plus surrounding areas, kind of like a mini DAL.

My unprofessional opinion from some basic measurements on aerial images of the currently planned layout is they can fit 2-4 more gates without too much trouble. They could hypothetically make room for more by relocating other existing buildings. None of this has been proposed in any public plan that I know of.

This will not improve conditions at SeaTac compared to the current situation. It will only help reduce how quickly SeaTac gets more crowded.

BA

Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:43 pm

Here's a timelapse video of the construction up until last month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1vzTfi3mQY
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Prost

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:24 pm

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/d7875e20-1e ... laces.html

The Port of Seattle has replaced the two managers in charge of its International Arrivals Facility (IAF) project at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport as construction cost estimates increased to $968 million...

...Port Commissioner Stephanie Bowman requested the audit after learning the estimated cost increased to to $830 million, up 5 percent from $790 million in November 2017 and up 36 percent from the original projected cost estimate of $608.4 million in late 2015...

...No final maximum guaranteed price had been fixed for the construction contract, despite it being under construction for two years and five months behind schedule.

Steinbrueck said the port has reached a final framework agreement that caps costs at $968.4 million with a scheduled completion of July 30, 2020.

The Port of Seattle really doesn’t have a grip on this project.

iamlucky13

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Prost wrote:
https://finance.yahoo.com/m/d7875e20-1ead-3455-a2a2-ed712c3fc75e/port-of-seattle-replaces.html

The Port of Seattle has replaced the two managers in charge of its International Arrivals Facility (IAF) project at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport as construction cost estimates increased to $968 million...

...Port Commissioner Stephanie Bowman requested the audit after learning the estimated cost increased to to $830 million, up 5 percent from $790 million in November 2017 and up 36 percent from the original projected cost estimate of $608.4 million in late 2015...

...No final maximum guaranteed price had been fixed for the construction contract, despite it being under construction for two years and five months behind schedule.

Steinbrueck said the port has reached a final framework agreement that caps costs at $968.4 million with a scheduled completion of July 30, 2020.

The Port of Seattle really doesn’t have a grip on this project.

Note also they are quoting the cost at the time the construction contracts were signed, if I remember right. Back when the commissioners were making the decision to proceed with the project, they were talking about a $316 million budget. Considered from that baseline, we're not talking about 60% budget overrun, but a 206% overrun.

That comes from here and the Port meeting minutes from the same day, at which time they had the scope of the project sufficiently advanced to approve the budget for the design contractor.
https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/bus ... 75055.html

Design work on that project is just beginning and the final prices for the international facility aren’t nailed down. Preliminary cost estimates say the facility will cost $316 million, but port executives expect the final estimates could escalate by up to $100 million, bringing facility construction cost to more than $400 million. Construction could begin in the third quarter of 2015 with completion in the last quarter of 2018.

rampbro

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:32 pm

ER757 wrote:
dashdrvr wrote:
Overthecascades wrote:
Over budget Too.

Food court situation is temporary while the construction at the Central Terminal is underway - when completed, not only will the previously existing spaces be back, but additional food options along with a viewing area will be opening on the mezzanine level. If the drawings are any indication, it will be quite impressive.

How impressive can it be now that Ivar's is gone?!?!? Can you tell that I am still smarting over this?!?!?!?!

Gotta say though, Floret and Rel'lish are pretty good though....

iamlucky13

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:58 pm

rampbro wrote:
How impressive can it be now that Ivar's is gone?!?!? Can you tell that I am still smarting over this?!?!?!?!

Sorry for carrying on with the digression about the food court, but since it was mentioned, and it relates to another example of how the Port Commission makes decisions that affect the airport's finances:

I'm not familiar with Floret, but Rel'Lish is another Kathy Casey-affiliated restaurant like the Lucky Louie restaurant proposal that beat out Ivars.

Something the media never picked up on when they were reporting on Ivars losing their bid to keep their SeaTac location, is that Kathy Casey is affiliated with HMS Host, a multinational food concessionaire specializing in airport food service that I'm pretty sure currently holds the largest number of concessions leases of any vendor at SeaTac. One of Casey's listed partners was also an HMS Host manager. There was stated to be another partner financing the restaurant, but as far as I know, the identity of the financier was never stated. I think I can guess who, or rather what company it is.

Anyways, the Port scored Lucky Louie with 20 points out of 20 for "small business," while Ivars only earned 8 out of 20, and consequently lost.

ER757

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:00 pm

rampbro wrote:
ER757 wrote:
dashdrvr wrote:

Can't blame you for being upset about Ivar's going away, have yet to sample Floret or Rel'lish. More restaurants are opening in the not too distant future as well. Once the central terminal facelift is done, I may start to wonder if I am volunteering at an airport or a food court :smile:

DL747400

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:58 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Considered from that baseline, we're not talking about 60% budget overrun, but a 206% overrun.

Wait, is this Port of Seattle or PANYNJ?
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

hiflyeras

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:23 am

They’re not talking about it because they’re badly over budget and behind schedule. Taxiway work the next 3-4 months will only add to the misery of flying out of SEA.

BA

Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:13 am

Here's the presentation from the port commission meeting today:
https://meetings.portseattle.org/portme ... tation.pdf

Projected opening is now July 30, 2020.

PDX88

Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:25 am

hiflyeras wrote:
They’re not talking about it because they’re badly over budget and behind schedule. Taxiway work the next 3-4 months will only add to the misery of flying out of SEA.

It barely started and the misery is already in full swing. 60 and 90 minute delays on each of my Seattle-bound flights so far since construction's started. As a Seattle based crew member and commuter these next 3 months are going to suck.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos