jumbojet
Topic Author

Delta Equips 600th Aircraft With Seatback Entertainment

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:33 pm

Delta came out with a piece of news on Friday that sort of flew under the radar. However, the news is rather big and felt it deserved starting a thread, Where DL's direct competitors are busy hastily removing seatback entertainment, siting erroneous facts such as everyone brings their own device, Delta is hard at work doing the exact opposite. As of last Friday, they have the most planes with seatback entertainment. Shows that they actually listen to and care about customers needs (9 abreast coach seating on the 777's).

The airline's Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Tim Mapes explained:
We continue to invest in seatback screens, because customers continue to tell us they're important. With seatback screens, customers don't have to choose between using their phones or watching a movie. Whether they want to work, relax, or a little bit of both -- we want to give our customers the ability to choose and make the most of their time in fligh

Several media outlets picked up on this story. I think DL should plaster this news on billboards, subway cars and other high traffic areas in big and small cities.

I think it was the AA CEO who said everyone brings their own device anyway so that was one of their reasons to remove IFE.

Case in point, a friend took his family on a trip. Two small kids and his wife. They leave laptops at home when on family vacations so just two small cellphones to split between two adults and 2 children for IFE. They took UA out and DL back. The UA (new bird) had no IFE seatback screens whereas the DL bird (brand new A321) had very large IFE screens in coach. I told the older kid what AA and UA were doing and even he said he never would fly those airlines again and believe it or not, these things are very impressionable on even young kids

at any rate, here is one of the articles:

These entertainment sources add to the weight of the aircraft, thereby impacting fuel costs. The maintenance bill can be significant, too.
At least those are two of the justifications presented by American Airlines CEO Doug Parker, whose airline is progressively removing all seatback screens.
Parker believes that ultimately people will prefer to bring their own devices. The airline's job will merely be to give them great Wi-Fi and content they can stream.
Delta's announcement, though, shows the contrary approach. t.

https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk/de ... right.html

cledaybuck

Re: More Screens, More Choices: Delta Equips 600th Aircraft With Seatback Entertainment

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:41 pm

While the idea is nice, I found the functionality to be less than great. I was stabbing at the screen with my finger over and over because at least half the time it didn't work and/or was exceedingly slow. One of our screens didn't work at all.

ikolkyo

Re: More Screens, More Choices: Delta Equips 600th Aircraft With Seatback Entertainment

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:46 pm

UA and AA will be just fine. It’s just a 10” screen people!

rj777

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:47 pm

I wonder if the screens will find their way onto the mainline T-tails (MD-88/90/717)

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:48 pm

IFE was the secret to VX’ blazing success :roll:
E pur si muove -Galileo

airbazar

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:51 pm

I'm glad someone is adding screens. After doing a tcon flight on UA where 1 leg was on a newly refurbished PS aircraft and the other on one without screens, the difference between watching a movie on a real screen and watching it on my 3" phone screen is staggering.
ikolkyo wrote:
UA and AA will be just fine. It’s just a 10” screen people!

Which is still 3x larger than my phone.
i know hardly anyone chooses their flight based on screen size but for long segments I certainly will pay more attention now after the experience I just described above.

0newair0

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:53 pm

rj777 wrote:
I wonder if the screens will find their way onto the mainline T-tails (MD-88/90/717)

No TVs for T-Tails.
That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!

cledaybuck

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:54 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
IFE was the secret to VX’ blazing success :roll:
And why NK, F9, and G4 just can seem to get anywhere. I mean, just look at F9's financials with and without IFE.

Cubsrule

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:55 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Case in point, a friend took his family on a trip. Two small kids and his wife. They leave laptops at home when on family vacations so just two small cellphones to split between two adults and 2 children for IFE. They took UA out and DL back. The UA (new bird) had no IFE seatback screens whereas the DL bird (brand new A321) had very large IFE screens in coach. I told the older kid what AA and UA were doing and even he said he never would fly those airlines again and believe it or not, these things are very impressionable on even young kids.

I don't pay much attention to IFE when traveling for business (which, like most HVCs, is the vast majority of my travel). But, I just had my kids on a DL 753 and was shocked how much they loved the IFE even though we travel with devices. Perhaps reliably working powerports could ameliorate the lack of screens, but most carriers (including DL) seem to have trouble with that.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

MalcolmInTheMoM

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:30 pm

If there's a PTV onboard people are bound to use it without question. The problem is that they can be frustrating both for those using them and for those who don't. You either have to press the screen so hard that you move the seat in front of you or you have this screen in front of you that doesn't go off (I know to dim them, but tons of people will fly with the PTV on its menu screen for the whole flight. That's got to be uncomfortable.)

What will be interesting to see is how the two strategies play out over time. AA and UA with free BYOD IFE vs. DL's PTVs.

SDFguy

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:40 pm

I've found the IFE screens on Delta planes to be quite difficult to use.

PacificWest

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:06 pm

I always choose Delta on flights over 2.5+ hours because of the IFE. I'll pay up to 10% more to fly them, because it's always a much more enjoyable flight and I don't dread it.

I love Alaska's service, but I'm disappointed they went the Wall Street route and repeat the "everyone has an ipad" narrative. I already know UA and AA hate their (domestic) customers, so I'm not surprised by them.

DeltaRules

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:17 pm

I appreciate DL sticking with AVOD. It feels like one attempt at giving the customer a reason to fly them as opposed to "We're gonna yank the monitors. Just bring your iPad, I mean, everybody has one, right?" (I don't.)

cledaybuck wrote:
While the idea is nice, I found the functionality to be less than great. I was stabbing at the screen with my finger over and over because at least half the time it didn't work and/or was exceedingly slow. One of our screens didn't work at all.

Were they the old-school Song monitors with the white frames or the newer black ones? The white ones are long in the tooth, but the black have seemed to work fine for me.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

toobz

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:22 pm

I am one of those that choose based on personal IFE. And I would and have paid extra for the benefit. Good on them once again for being customer friendly. As small as this may be, it is welcomed.

bpat777

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:50 pm

Pay attention AA. This is one reason DL is the go to airline for domestic travel.

cledaybuck

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:58 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
I appreciate DL sticking with AVOD. It feels like one attempt at giving the customer a reason to fly them as opposed to "We're gonna yank the monitors. Just bring your iPad, I mean, everybody has one, right?" (I don't.)

cledaybuck wrote:

Were they the old-school Song monitors with the white frames or the newer black ones? The white ones are long in the tooth, but the black have seemed to work fine for me.
I don't remember. It was a 757 if that helps. Of course, some day the newer ones will be long in the tooth too. Will DL keep refurbishing the IFE systems to keep them up to date?

moa999

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Which families/kids don't have their own phones/tablets

Cheap android tablets about $100 eg. Lenovo

The 10yo IFE on planes. Eg 4" Rockwell Collins that Qantas still has on 3 aircraft is embarrassing.

MIflyer12

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:03 pm

0newair0 wrote:
rj777 wrote:

No TVs for T-Tails.

I'm glad Delta is adding AVOD. The screen size, response time, and resolution of the latest system is very good. (B6, take note.) But as they may rationalize not adding AVOD to the MD-88s (they're mostly going away within 3 years) and 717s (they're short-haul), it's still 27% of the mainline fleet without AVOD.

MCIRNO

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Let me get this straight: DL is choosing to give their customers a better experience and some are knocking them for it? For as much as many complain about how modern air travel stinks compared to 'how it used to be', you'd think that everyone would be happy about DL's attempt...

enilria

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:12 pm

It's a great product, but I have to wonder with pretty much everybody carrying a tablet/ipad/phone would they have added all that weight in retrospect?

SESGDL

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:13 pm

MCIRNO wrote:
Let me get this straight: DL is choosing to give their customers a better experience and some are knocking them for it? For as much as many complain about how modern air travel stinks compared to 'how it used to be', you'd think that everyone would be happy about DL's attempt...

I know, it really is sad isn't it? Are people actually complaining that a company is trying to give its customers a choice? The race to the bottom continues... Now people don't even WANT to have a choice.

Jeremy

AWACSooner

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:40 pm

MCIRNO wrote:

It's the same folks that knock WN for their 2 free checked bags...but defend the airlines that charge for carry-ons. Damn the customers, it's all about the bottom line for the shareholders!

dmstorm22

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:44 pm

enilria wrote:
It's a great product, but I have to wonder with pretty much everybody carrying a tablet/ipad/phone would they have added all that weight in retrospect?

To me there's a couple things keeping the UA BYOD IFE approach from working at its fullest:

1.) The myriad issues of trying to use it on a laptop (minority of users, but still annoying)
2.) the seemingly 50/50 proposition that your seat outlet will work (and the general annoyance of not having one outlet per seat)

Fix those two things and I would be 100% fine with the UA approach.

I'll commend Delta for making seat-back IFE a priority and making it work, but I think BYOD is a fine long-term strategy if those two things get fixed.

global2

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:52 pm

I've never been a fan of DL, but I must say I'm very disappointed with AA whom I've always gone out of my way to fly with in the past. I don't own a tablet, and I'm not inclined to watch a movie on a tiny phone screen. My laptop is too big and cumbersome to deal with in flight. Doesn't B6 have IFE in all their seats as well?

Kno

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:09 pm

IMO DL is by far the best major in the states. The IFE is 2nd to none in the US and I greatly appreciate the options. 1st world problem I know, but I for one don't really feel like fumbling around with my laptop and making sure I have tons of pre-downloaded content for my trip. If its not a work trip I'm not really interested in bringing my laptop at all. UA and AA are banking on the notion that most people have tablets - idk where this huge tablet community is but very few people I know have or use them and I never see more pax than I can count on my fingers using them on flights. Nobody wants to watch on their iphone either.

I remember as a kid UA always felt more premium than DL or AA, now DL feels miles ahead. Between the great IFE and the fact that I continue to have positive customer service experiences with them, including swift and compassionate handling of IRROPS situations, I will continue to fly DL as frequently as possible. The fact that they still fly boat loads of 757s and it's easy to catch a widebody to most major west coast cities doesnt hurt either ; ).

planecane

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:19 pm

I recently flew DL one way and AA back on a transcontinental US trip. DL was a noticeably better experience from the gate agents to the cabin crews (2 stop so it wasn't a one-off). The IFE screens were icing on the cake. The AA with BYOD and power at every seat was OK but you still have to position it somehow. The phone holders on some of the planes are a bit of a PITA. I watched a guy struggle for 10 minutes until he figured out that the holder was pressing the volume down button so he kept getting muted.

Based on this experience, given similar itinerary, I'd pay at least 10% more to fly Delta vs. any other domestic airline.

tistpaa727

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:24 pm

One upside to IFE not mentioned here, especially for those that don't travel often, is the monitor on the back of a seat "looks modern" which can go a long way in the perception the average Joe and Jane traveler can have of an airline. Yes, many have their own tablets, phones etc. in which the battery won't last the entire flight or the USB doesn't charge it fast enough to counter the media drain, but having a screen makes the plane appear newish. It's where perception can become reality even if those of us on anet know better.
Don't sweat the little things.

dbo861

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Any word if Delta's A220s will have IFE?

avier

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:39 pm

cledaybuck wrote:

Ahh, reminds me of my aunt who recently flew UA long-haul to Asia - ~15hr flight- and her screen didn't work in Y+. She couldn't shift seats either as the plane was packed and she was utterly bored for that flight. This is the issue with IFE monitors. Its like handing out to a bunch of kids candies and leaving out on a few. Those few are not going to be happy. And with the size and scale of operations in US domestic this is bound to happen more with IFE breakdowns/issues (i.e probability).

So, yes, I like the idea of few airlines like UA/AA dropping the monitors for the domestic legs. Makes the cabin more tidier, rather than all those wires hanging everywhere at the end of the flight. Saves them fuel, saves them dollars.

I for one always have on a minimum my phone (6.2") + iPad . So I like the idea of IFE streaming, which in itself is a "choice" of accessing entertainment or not. Rather than have those screens pop out on your face and feel compelled to watch it because everyone else is.
IFE monitors are more needed on long haul flights.

Also on my last long haul which had two long segments, on a very premium asian carrier, I got bored of their content on the first leg only on their 77W and by the time I was on their second leg, their flagship A380, I never even wanted to touch the screen because of the same content in it. I just slept through that leg.

usxguy

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:40 pm

PacificWest wrote:
I love Alaska's service, but I'm disappointed they went the Wall Street route and repeat the "everyone has an ipad" narrative. I already know UA and AA hate their (domestic) customers, so I'm not surprised by them.

Alaska offers players for rent on flights of 3 hours or more... you can flip them over & hang from your seat back!
xx

gatibosgru

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:54 pm

It's such a nice bonus, even if you can survive without it. Props to DL for always improving their service.
@DadCelo

EA CO AS

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:10 pm

I think seatback IFE is neat and wish AS, along with others, made it standard.

Having said that, after seeing the numbers ($1M per plane to retrofit, and that's before added fuel burn, etc.) there's just no business case to support it, particularly when various studies have shown that upwards of 90% of passengers do already have a WiFi enabled device on them when they travel.

And having seen the compensation given out when seatback IFE fails (because when it does, it does so spectacularly, sometimes taking down the whole row!), it's a service failure waiting to happen on every single flight.

I just don't see any valid business case supporting it on less than 5-6 hour missions, really.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

airzim

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Ignoring the pluses and/or minuses of having a seatback TV importance for travel, I did a quick comparative look at United's fleet with seatback entertainment.

Assuming I calculated this correctly, 965 planes (entire narrowbody, E170/5 and CRJ7s fleets with exception of some 753, and Guam based 737s-who have AVOD) have PDE. 442 have seatback screens (with DirectTV or AVOD).

418 planes that have both seatback screens and PDE. PDE and AVOD are free, LiveTV is charged.

Not sure how it compares with Delta's numbers, since they don't break them down by fleet.

Just a point of comparison.

LFutia

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:26 pm

This is one of the reasons as to why I fly Delta. I can charge my phone and watch a movie. I don't have to worry about draining my battery because there is no IFE. I must say I was very surprised that Delta flew the 739 on my MSP-ORD flight. for the quick 48 minute flight the screen was just the right touch to a long day of flying.
Leo/ORD

n92r03

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:04 pm

While I would not pay for the IFE, I'm usually working on my laptop, I can understand in this day and age that people will be bored (oh the horror).

Do these IFE screens require the "box" under each middle seat? Being stuck in the middle seat with even less legroom really sucks.

gatibosgru

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:17 pm

dbo861 wrote:
Any word if Delta's A220s will have IFE?

According to a CNN article from last year they're getting a different IFE

"In-flight internet provider Gogo and Delta Air Lines on Tuesday announced it was unveiling a new kind of tablet that would be affixed to the seat-back. Rather than a wired, custom-designed screen, Delta would install standardized Android tablets at each seat that would wirelessly stream content from an on-board server.

The new screens will start rolling out on the first of 75 new Bombardier C Series aircraft arriving at Delta in the spring."
https://money.cnn.com/2017/09/28/techno ... index.html
@DadCelo

questions

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:22 pm

I’m glad DL is using the seatback approach vs BYOD.

The trend is NOT that most customers have their own device.

The trend IS that a lot of people use a second screen, e.g., at home they watch TV while doing something else on their smartphone.

Inflight, I will watch a movie on the seatback screen while using my iPhone to text friends, purchase something online, read/send emails.

LAXBUR

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:44 pm

I pretty much only fly Alaska and Delta. Delta’s older IFEs are definitely difficult to use. I recently flew AA and one flight had IFE and the other didn’t. My biggest issue with BYOD is there’s nowhere to put them during service. When the clip seats arrive that will help. And on my return AA flight without the IFE the WiFi kept disconnecting. But anything transcon or less really doesn’t need IFE if the seats have someplace to clip your device.

OA940

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:44 pm

MCIRNO wrote:

The stupidity of the human race...
A350/CSeries = bae

cledaybuck

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:51 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
I think seatback IFE is neat and wish AS, along with others, made it standard.

Having said that, after seeing the numbers ($1M per plane to retrofit, and that's before added fuel burn, etc.) there's just no business case to support it, particularly when various studies have shown that upwards of 90% of passengers do already have a WiFi enabled device on them when they travel.

And having seen the compensation given out when seatback IFE fails (because when it does, it does so spectacularly, sometimes taking down the whole row!), it's a service failure waiting to happen on every single flight.

I just don't see any valid business case supporting it on less than 5-6 hour missions, really.
AS's streaming service was just fine for me on my ipad recent flight to OGG. If anything, I liked it better than DL's in seat service on the way back. I can see how those without a tablet might feel differently though.

JamesCousins

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:05 pm

moa999 wrote:

The 10yo IFE on planes. Eg 4" Rockwell Collins that Qantas still has on 3 aircraft is embarrassing.

That's not the point, though. Tablets could be a dollar and it still wouldn't alleviate the hassle associated with downloading films or TV shows for many people. When DL, UA and AA are the same price knowing you can jump aboard and dive into a fairly new film is a nice thing to have...
Q400, A320-200, A321-200, 737-500, 737-800, 747-400, 757-200, 787-9 // FCA, TOM, MON, MT, BA, VS, DL, BE

dmstorm22

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:29 pm

JamesCousins wrote:
moa999 wrote:

That's not the point, though. Tablets could be a dollar and it still wouldn't alleviate the hassle associated with downloading films or TV shows for many people. When DL, UA and AA are the same price knowing you can jump aboard and dive into a fairly new film is a nice thing to have...

Not sure I understand this point. BYOD is the same set-up as AVOD. You don't have to download anything (unless UA is making you download that weird plug-in to use a laptop).

Super80Fan

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Has it been determined yet if Delta's A220's will have PTV's, or just streaming entertainment?
RIP McDonnell Douglas

cschleic

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:44 pm

SESGDL wrote:
MCIRNO wrote:

I know, it really is sad isn't it? Are people actually complaining that a company is trying to give its customers a choice? The race to the bottom continues... Now people don't even WANT to have a choice.

Jeremy

A number of the comments have focused on the problems using IFE systems, not whether it's there or not. Since having something that doesn't work or is difficult to use can be worse than not having it at all, it's understandable.

There are other factors with the difference between in-seat and BYOD....is in-seat satellite or ground based (makes a difference if going to, say, Hawaii), is BYOD streaming in the plane or do you have to load everything ahead of time, and is all in-seat content free or is some with a fee? And so on.

KMCOFlyer

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:48 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Has it been determined yet if Delta's A220's will have PTV's, or just streaming entertainment?

DLs A220 will have a built in “tablet” for IFE that wirelessly sends content to the screen. They will run the same OS as other DL IFE screens, it’s just the data is sent wirelessly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUc74EX84LA

Exeiowa

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:40 pm

I like the in seat because

A) I dont have to hold it, or try to awkwardly prop it up, or stop watching the movie when they bring round food.

B) I dont have to worry about the charge level of my phone when I arrive at my destination.

C) I dont have to find a bunch of stuff to download that I might not then like

D) I might end up watching something I would not otherwise come across.

E) I love the flight tracker especially so I can wave at my folks as I travel over my homeland for work on a reasonably frequent basis. Closest I get to visiting

F) Not having to cart around extra electronics just for the for the flight and associated security inconvenience. Work lap top wont let me use Netflix for some reason....

G) With screen can still choose other option if preffered.

panamair

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Some of the comments here make it sound like it's an either or situation on Delta with the PTVs..the fact is that Delta's AVOD PTVs are simply another IFE OPTION - they still have Delta Studio (which is the stream-to-your-own-device platform, similar to what AA and UA are transitioning to) on their planes. So if you don't like the PTV or find it hard to use, then by all means go for Delta Studio streaming...the point is that there are two IFE options on many of Delta's planes, whereas on many other carriers, there is only one option. How can anyone complain about having more choices?

TEY1330

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:53 pm

Bravo Delta. American will no longer be my first choice for domestic.

cpd

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:05 pm

OA940 wrote:
MCIRNO wrote:

The stupidity of the human race...

Give them standing seats and they'll cheer about it.

We do need to remember that a.net isn't the general public. A bunch of aviation geeks is different to the average traveler.

chonetsao

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:09 pm

I like to have choices. I am for it for following reasons:
1, Mobile device is too small for the movie, and the laptop sometimes can be too big. If I want to have a rest, my next seat neighbour is watching a movie on his/her giant laptop screen can be annoying.
2, Have you ever seen people watching stuff on their phone without headphones? I have and frequently. At least with seatback IFEs you have to have a pair earphones.
3, What if there is a security alert and TSA decides that all personal devices have to be checked-in!
4, When I have a seat free next to me, it is great to have a screen on moving maps and another for a good movie! (seat arrangement and neighbours allowed of course)
5, What if I have lost my charging cord enroute! Nightmares. Or for one in one billion change that my phone totally died on me! or one in one million chances that I accidentally clicked on a spyware and my phone is locked, or one in one hundred thousand chances that too many attempt made with the wrong password/finger print/facial recognition!
6, Yeah someone may take a Rhino as emotionally support animal and that beast eats my tablet...
7, Oh before I forget, I might have to lend my phone to the nothing else to do but forever texting cabin crew who wants to pretends to be a stranger to ask question on the secret lover of his/her boyfriend/girlfriend?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos