Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

0newair0

Delta Equips 600th Aircraft With Seatback Entertainment

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:15 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
dbo861 wrote:
Any word if Delta's A220s will have IFE?

According to a CNN article from last year they're getting a different IFE

"In-flight internet provider Gogo and Delta Air Lines on Tuesday announced it was unveiling a new kind of tablet that would be affixed to the seat-back. Rather than a wired, custom-designed screen, Delta would install standardized Android tablets at each seat that would wirelessly stream content from an on-board server.

The new screens will start rolling out on the first of 75 new Bombardier C Series aircraft arriving at Delta in the spring."
https://money.cnn.com/2017/09/28/techno ... index.html

This system is also going in the A330neos.
Last edited by qf789 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: flamebait title
That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!

FlyHappy

Re: More Screens, More Choices: Delta Equips 600th Aircraft With Seatback Entertainment

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:25 pm

moa999 wrote:
Which families/kids don't have their own phones/tablets

Cheap android tablets about $100 eg. Lenovo

The 10yo IFE on planes. Eg 4" Rockwell Collins that Qantas still has on 3 aircraft is embarrassing.

Good IFE onboard makes huuuuuge difference for families with younger kids.
It isn't about having your own gear - its about something unfamiliar for curious minds and fingers to explore. (not even to mention the wholly different content)

It makes all the difference. My 8 & 5 y/o kids specifically ask me if we are flying the plane "with the little tv's".
the presence of good IFE literally reduces my traveling stress tenfold.

here's how important it is: I've stopped flying narrowbody J with my kids, because the seatback IFE screen is too far away for them, so back to Y we go, where they tap away happily and kill up to a 5 hour flight quietly.
that, my friend, is priceless - and no amount of my own gear can duplicate that.

jeffh747

Re: More Screens, More Choices: Delta Equips 600th Aircraft With Seatback Entertainment

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:26 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
Has it been determined yet if Delta's A220's will have PTV's, or just streaming entertainment?

DLs A220 will have a built in “tablet” for IFE that wirelessly sends content to the screen. They will run the same OS as other DL IFE screens, it’s just the data is sent wirelessly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUc74EX84LA

Thanks for sharing this link. I read a little bit more into this new product and can comfortably say that I think this is the future of inflight entertainment. No more having to press hard to get a response from the IFE because these tablets are highly responsive, and it can help mitigate issues with maintenance since each tablet is fully modular. No more entire rows of IFE being inop because one is broken. Plus, since these tablets are fully wireless, and the tablets themselves are far lighter compared to today’s IFE, the weight issues are somewhat negated.

Delta has proven themselves to be a constantly innovative company over the past few years, focused on customer service, with the new investments in the airport SkyClubs, new cabins, and now the decision to stay with in-seat AVOD. When it comes to the major US3, I think they’re the best right now, which hurts because I used to be a hardcore fAAnboy a couple years ago.
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

PEK777

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:15 am

The in seat thing is actually very useful. I fly ATL-NYC almost weekly these days. I have a iPhone, iPad, and Huawei phone in addition to my laptop. It typically takes about 25+ minutes to establish a connection for ife (need to forget network, then renew lease, etc). If I want to watch Indiana Jones on the flight, I barely make it to the snake scene with this constraint. With the gate to gate ife, we pull into the gate just as that old guy is wheeling the crate into the warehouse. And I get to see that classic fight with the German tough guy on the tarmac.

fanoftristars

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:10 am

First off, for the general public, there is absolutely no argument: PTVs in an airplane whether you chose to use them or not are better than not having them. Sure there will be the fanboys of AA or UA that try to give the losing argument that somehow less choice is better for them, but it's simply ridiculous. Every time I plan a trip with friends they always ask, "Are we on a plane with TVs?" I was on an A320 not long ago where the people boarding behind me said, "Wow, this plane must be brand new!" I'm sure it was 20+ years old...

Walk down the isle on any Delta flight with PTVs. About 80% of them are on and showing content. At a minimum, people will put on the moving map while they read a book or work. They're a great opportunity to promote the brand during boarding, during the safety video and prior to a movie starting (AKA "Keep Climbing") They will continue to be a differentiator for domestic flights.

As for those that say they are heavy, I'd love to see what Delta's fuel cost is on an A320 on an average sector having PTVs vs UA's A320s without. What does it cost for a 800 mile flight to fly them around? What is that cost per passenger? I'd say it's negligible.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

deltal1011man

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:27 am

enilria wrote:
It's a great product, but I have to wonder with pretty much everybody carrying a tablet/ipad/phone would they have added all that weight in retrospect?

What do you mean?

They are still doing mods and new deliveries will still come with seat back IFE. On top of that Delta/Delta Flight products is working with Gogo on the new wireless IFE that will come in the C10/220s

So obviously Delta still sees value in the product and is still trying to advance the technology.

dbo861 wrote:
Any word if Delta's A220s will have IFE?
EA CO AS wrote:
I think seatback IFE is neat and wish AS, along with others, made it standard.

Having said that, after seeing the numbers ($1M per plane to retrofit, and that's before added fuel burn, etc.) there's just no business case to support it, particularly when various studies have shown that upwards of 90% of passengers do already have a WiFi enabled device on them when they travel.

And having seen the compensation given out when seatback IFE fails (because when it does, it does so spectacularly, sometimes taking down the whole row!), it's a service failure waiting to happen on every single flight.

I just don't see any valid business case supporting it on less than 5-6 hour missions, really.

bias does that to people.

Delta management has made it clear that they believe things like IFE, 3-3-3 in the 777s, fleet wide wifi etc. etc. are a big part (along with reliability) to its revenue premium in the domestic market place.

panamair wrote:
Some of the comments here make it sound like it's an either or situation on Delta with the PTVs..the fact is that Delta's AVOD PTVs are simply another IFE OPTION - they still have Delta Studio (which is the stream-to-your-own-device platform, similar to what AA and UA are transitioning to) on their planes. So if you don't like the PTV or find it hard to use, then by all means go for Delta Studio streaming...the point is that there are two IFE options on many of Delta's planes, whereas on many other carriers, there is only one option. How can anyone complain about having more choices?

exactly this.
The market has shown time and time again that people what options and choices when they are traveling, and Delta is trying to provide as many options as possible.

Super80Fan wrote:
Has it been determined yet if Delta's A220's will have PTV's, or just streaming entertainment?

they will have the new wireless IFE provided by Gogo and Delta flight products.

Look for that system to roll out across other fleets as they either get delivered (339s and sounds like 321Ns) or as refurbishments come due ie the 764 mods.

I would put money on the 777s being the last airplanes to get wired IFE in a refurb and the 321CEO/739s to be the last planes delivered with wired IFE.

DeltaRules

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:51 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
0newair0 wrote:
rj777 wrote:
I wonder if the screens will find their way onto the mainline T-tails (MD-88/90/717)

No TVs for T-Tails.

I'm glad Delta is adding AVOD. The screen size, response time, and resolution of the latest system is very good. (B6, take note.) But as they may rationalize not adding AVOD to the MD-88s (they're mostly going away within 3 years) and 717s (they're short-haul), it's still 27% of the mainline fleet without AVOD.

Wasn't the original plan for the MD-90 to get AVOD, which is part of the reason why they have the same style seatbacks as planes which got PTVs, just no monitor?
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

deltal1011man

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:54 am

DeltaRules wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
0newair0 wrote:

No TVs for T-Tails.

I'm glad Delta is adding AVOD. The screen size, response time, and resolution of the latest system is very good. (B6, take note.) But as they may rationalize not adding AVOD to the MD-88s (they're mostly going away within 3 years) and 717s (they're short-haul), it's still 27% of the mainline fleet without AVOD.

Wasn't the original plan for the MD-90 to get AVOD, which is part of the reason why they have the same style seatbacks as planes which got PTVs, just no monitor?

yes.

jetblueguy22

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:56 am

I’m a book person (I know, NERD), but my big turn off with the BYOD is the lack of a power port. I have no problem using my own device to stream entertainment when I want to, frankly I prefer it, but if you’re going to want me to use my own device I better have a plug at the seat. That’s where DL is lacking IMO.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

UGA777

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:01 am

Ask my company if it makes a difference. We pay extra just to fly Delta. The on board product is leaps and bounds above AA and UA.

EA CO AS

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:36 am

deltal1011man wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Having said that, after seeing the numbers ($1M per plane to retrofit, and that's before added fuel burn, etc.) there's just no business case to support it, particularly when various studies have shown that upwards of 90% of passengers do already have a WiFi enabled device on them when they travel.

And having seen the compensation given out when seatback IFE fails (because when it does, it does so spectacularly, sometimes taking down the whole row!), it's a service failure waiting to happen on every single flight.

I just don't see any valid business case supporting it on less than 5-6 hour missions, really.

If by "bias" you mean "Saw the numbers involved and changed my mind about a business case being there" - because as I stated at the beginning, I genuinely like seatback IFE - then yeah, I suppose objective, raw facts equal "bias." :roll:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

pdxav8r

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:36 am

questions wrote:
I’m glad DL is using the seatback approach vs BYOD.

The trend is NOT that most customers have their own device.

The trend IS that a lot of people use a second screen, e.g., at home they watch TV while doing something else on their smartphone.

Inflight, I will watch a movie on the seatback screen while using my iPhone to text friends, purchase something online, read/send emails.

+100. Got so used to dual screens at work and at home, I feel naked without the extra screen. I just don’t get the blowback, especially in that it just gives the passenger an extra option. Nicely done Delta!

RTW00

Re: Delta Equips 600th Aircraft With Seatback Entertainment

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:44 am

I love the familiarity of using my phone however, it is not very convenient for my NECK and always prefer the bigger seatback screens.

If the seatbacks are little modified to dock my phone, I would use it without any problem....till then I prefer bigger seatback entertainment.

boilerla

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:47 am

Any entertainment that takes away from legroom is a waste. My iPad doesn’t take away from my personal space.

mdavies06

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:57 am

Good job on DL and other airlines that provide personal IFE onboard. However,
1) I never choose IFE over price, loyalty to an airline, safety or convenience of schedule.
2) USB charging port is more important. my own tablet and smartphone has more content relevant to me than any IFE can offer.

N867DA

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:00 am

I much prefer seatback AVOD. Supplying entertainment through onboard WiFi is not a full solution. Phone screens are smaller, a power plug is often not available at every seat, and it is harder to view the screen in economy. I shudder at the thought of trying to watch a TV show on a phone or tablet while eating a meal (even one that's been carried onboard).
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

ilovelamp

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:59 am

Another potential benefit of seatback IFE is redundancy. These WiFi systems aren’t 100% reliable. Neither is the seatback IFE, of course, but at least Delta has the redundancy in most of their fleet.

Also, if anyone is looking for a way to use wireless Bluetooth headphones with seatback IFE...checkout Twelve South's AirFly. It’s a Bluetooth module that plugs into the headphone jack.

https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/airfly

For the record I’m a happy customer so forgive the shameless plug.

Sancho99504

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:02 am

I have a Microsoft Surface with a huge screen yet I prefer a PTV because I don't want a tray in my way all flight and it is too big for the holders.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

avier

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:41 am

So the basic essence of this thread has come down to " I fly/prefer DL because my five or ten year old likes the inflight screens to play on".

DL's approach here is to influence ones decision to fly them through their kids basically. Much like adopting those east asian carriers approach in painting their planes in special children's themes like Hello Kitty, etc., to woo the younger audience who are important when it comes to deciding who and what to fly on at times.

But I doubt the effect though on business/corporate pax & such frequent fliers who probably wouldn't care much. I have across come many such pax who don't even use IFE when in J/F class -with bigger and better monitors- and they usually work on their personal devices, read a book, have decent conversations with fellow pax/colleagues or relax through the flight.

musman9853

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:33 pm

airbazar wrote:
I'm glad someone is adding screens. After doing a tcon flight on UA where 1 leg was on a newly refurbished PS aircraft and the other on one without screens, the difference between watching a movie on a real screen and watching it on my 3" phone screen is staggering.
ikolkyo wrote:
UA and AA will be just fine. It’s just a 10” screen people!

Which is still 3x larger than my phone.
i know hardly anyone chooses their flight based on screen size but for long segments I certainly will pay more attention now after the experience I just described above.

lol you need a new phone
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

enilria

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:22 pm

deltal1011man wrote:
enilria wrote:
It's a great product, but I have to wonder with pretty much everybody carrying a tablet/ipad/phone would they have added all that weight in retrospect?

What do you mean?

They are still doing mods and new deliveries will still come with seat back IFE. On top of that Delta/Delta Flight products is working with Gogo on the new wireless IFE that will come in the C10/220s

So obviously Delta still sees value in the product and is still trying to advance the technology.

Meaning, it is probably costing them $80m in fuel carrying around those screens. Maybe more. If they had only offered a wifi based solution I wonder at what point the lines cross and they would have been equally customer acceptable but without all the added weight/fuel burn. We may be there now. Even kids have tablets.

SUNCTRY738

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:34 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

If by "bias" you mean "Saw the numbers involved and changed my mind about a business case being there" - because as I stated at the beginning, I genuinely like seatback IFE - then yeah, I suppose objective, raw facts equal "bias." :roll:

I think your missing the much bigger revenue picture from a much larger airline than Alaska. No disrespect or anything, but DL's revenue numbers and related strategy are much different than Alaska's. And I love both airlines. I have no doubt it is a much harder business case for Alaska to have seat back IFE on every mainline aircraft. That point is what gives DL an advantage in this area. DL is focusing on having a revenue premium on a global network.

dmstorm22

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:56 pm

PEK777 wrote:
The in seat thing is actually very useful. I fly ATL-NYC almost weekly these days. I have a iPhone, iPad, and Huawei phone in addition to my laptop. It typically takes about 25+ minutes to establish a connection for ife (need to forget network, then renew lease, etc). If I want to watch Indiana Jones on the flight, I barely make it to the snake scene with this constraint. With the gate to gate ife, we pull into the gate just as that old guy is wheeling the crate into the warehouse. And I get to see that classic fight with the German tough guy on the tarmac.

That goes both ways though.

Just flew EWR-IAH-EWR on UA, B738 with BYOD on the way to IAH and B764 with AVOD on the way back.

On the flight there with BYOD, I was able to connect to United Wifi immediately when we boarded, and could stream the entire flight. The power port worked. It was a good experience.

On the way back, while the AVOD was available on the ground, it would pause anytime the captain or purser made an announcement (and we had a particularly chatty captain), and similarly stop to show the safety video plus 2-3 adds.

I think AVOD in a vacuum is better, but there are slight drawbacks.

gatibosgru

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:07 pm

avier wrote:
So the basic essence of this thread has come down to " I fly/prefer DL because my five or ten year old likes the inflight screens to play on".

I think the overwhelming majority in this thread is that adults enjoy having options, and having both on DL make for a great flying experience. I don't know where the "five to ten year olds" came in other than some examples.

avier wrote:
I have across come many such pax who don't even use IFE when in J/F class

Any little bit helps us folk in the back.
@DadCelo

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos