Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:20 am

Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:13 pm

EDMONTON, Aug. 20, 2018 /CNW/ - Flair Airlines (Edmonton, AB), Canada's only independent low fare airline today announced it is introducing non-stop flights to six popular U.S. destinations this winter. The new routes will extend Flair's rapidly growing network to Florida's Orlando International Airport, St. Pete-Clearwater (Tampa Bay) and Miami as well as to Palm Springs, Las Vegas and Phoenix-Mesa Airport.


https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/flair-adds-low-fare-usa-routes-691260501.html
 
flyb
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:39 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:09 pm

Interesting move looks to be a competitive application to improve Florida access from Winnipeg and Edmonton. They have to find Niche market/routes to survive.
 
berari
Posts: 917
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Am I the only one concerned that this airline is growing too fast? Who's bankrolling them?
 
flyb
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:39 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:24 pm

Due to winter, they had to make adjustments to grab sun destinations. I'd be more concerned if they only focused on domestics routes.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2875
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:25 pm

That's a whole whackload of routes, including some where they're voluntarily taking on Swoop head on.

No mention of the flight frequency for any of these (wonder whether any of these are more than 2x/week?). YWG just gained a bunch of new transborder routes in one fell 'swoop'.
 
berari
Posts: 917
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
That's a whole whackload of routes, including some where they're voluntarily taking on Swoop head on.

No mention of the flight frequency for any of these (wonder whether any of these are more than 2x/week?). YWG just gained a bunch of new transborder routes in one fell 'swoop'.


YEG-PSP is 3x per week with tickets around $325 all in.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 24772
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:33 pm

flyb wrote:
Interesting move looks to be a competitive application to improve Florida access from Winnipeg and Edmonton. They have to find Niche market/routes to survive.

Flying Canadians to Florida in winter is not a niche route.

You can't swing a dead cat around MIA/PIE/MCO in winter without hitting a Canadian.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
flyb
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:39 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:39 pm

True not a niche route for Canadian! But newer for YEG, as its been focused on AZ , NV, and CA for the past number of years...not FL.
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:53 pm

The usual Canadian Snowbird routes. It is getting to the point where these are announced on a regular basis. IMO it's becoming oversaturated.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
User avatar
Rajahdhani
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:03 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
The usual Canadian Snowbird routes. It is getting to the point where these are announced on a regular basis. IMO it's becoming oversaturated.


Moreover, these are, at best - seasonal routes. Surely packed in the Winter, but Canada is 'livable' (gorgeous) in the Summer.
 
flyb
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:39 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:00 pm

For YEG and YWG this provides options to avoid transfers in YYC or YYZ for MIA for example. Yes lots of competition on the routes otherwise. But looking at YEG to MCO Flair prices are much lower than WS or AA for example.

Good to see the expansion, hope they can continue to grow at a rate that they can remain or be profitable and remain in the sky.
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1501
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Will be curious to see how they do here in PHX with Swoop already coming, plus we have Rouge as well...especially since Flair will be at AZA.
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
910A
Posts: 1891
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:18 pm

cathay747 wrote:
Will be curious to see how they do here in PHX with Swoop already coming, plus we have Rouge as well...especially since Flair will be at AZA.

Swoop will 2x weekly to YEG from AZA.
 
greenair727
Posts: 1471
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:27 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:20 pm

would love to see a YEG-CLE route.
 
flyb
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:39 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Don't see any demand for a CLE route
 
mwmav8r01
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:22 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:07 pm

Suprised to see WESTERN Canada to PIE. Thatd be a suprise if it sticks. Hopefully it does.
 
greenair727
Posts: 1471
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:27 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:16 pm

flyb wrote:
Don't see any demand for a CLE route


Canadians love Cleveland--its just too hard to get to unless you're coming from YYZ.
 
sixtyseven
Posts: 829
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:42 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:27 pm

STANDBY FOR INCOMING RANT BY JIMBO....
Stand-by for new ATIS message......
 
axiom
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:42 pm

mwmav8r01 wrote:
Suprised to see WESTERN Canada to PIE. Thatd be a suprise if it sticks. Hopefully it does.


Agreed -- this is the biggest twist to the announcement. Or flair.
 
BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:20 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:06 pm

axiom wrote:
mwmav8r01 wrote:
Suprised to see WESTERN Canada to PIE. Thatd be a suprise if it sticks. Hopefully it does.


Agreed -- this is the biggest twist to the announcement. Or flair.


Seems like a ripe selection market wise and to get it with no competition makes it better for Flair. PIE is perfect airport for them too and the market they are trying to capture. Very SunWing like.

This is something I would like to see Swoop develop and mature over at TPA, the longer thinner Western Canadian markets, after Eastern/North Atlantic markets of course.
 
skyharborshome
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:19 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:09 pm

cathay747 wrote:
Will be curious to see how they do here in PHX with Swoop already coming, plus we have Rouge as well...especially since Flair will be at AZA.


A physician in town told me that 25% of snowbirds are now Canadians and up to that percentage makes up new home buys. While I do not believe the latter, the former could be true.
Fly CHD!
 
Airontario
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2001 12:04 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:22 am

greenair727 wrote:
flyb wrote:
Don't see any demand for a CLE route


Canadians love Cleveland--its just too hard to get to unless you're coming from YYZ.


Wait...what? What is the point of making such a ridiculous statement?
 
deltadudejg
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:13 am

Anyone have any ideas where they're going to be securing the 737-800s from?
Aviation Enthusiast working in Airport Operations
 
master14225
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 6:38 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:56 am

Kinda sad they didn't add any US routes out of YYZ. Frontier should add some YYZ routes as they did for YYC. I guess I'm heading down to BUF again to fly JetBlue and Southwest.
 
flyb
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:39 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:06 am

Looks like these 738's are run by AirTransat.

Wonder if you'll be able to use Aeroplan on these routes? One would assume you would.
 
BML87
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:16 am

master14225 wrote:
Kinda sad they didn't add any US routes out of YYZ. Frontier should add some YYZ routes as they did for YYC. I guess I'm heading down to BUF again to fly JetBlue and Southwest.


Flair added YYZ-MIA.
 
jimbo737
Posts: 540
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:18 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:27 am

Call it a rant if you'd like, or perhaps consider it sage advice from someone who's been actively involved with 3 low cost start ups that now operate close to 400 tails.

And who knows what's next...... 8-)

Flair continues to make strategic mistake after strategic mistake.

Did anyone at Flair consider why WS waited until they had about 45 tails before they started they're sched sun destinations almost 10 years after launch? And why WS started with a couple of sun routes rather than throwing darts at the board hoping something would stick.

YEG-MIA is close to 2,600 miles......in a 737-400. That could get interesting when the winter winds start to howl.

MIA a "low cost" airport? Huh?

This will be amusing to watch unfold as the reality of winter conditions, a widely geographically scattered 20+ year old fleet with virtually no domestic feed, competition from a significantly lower cost operator, (don't think for a nano second that Flair has anything close to the lowest cost structure in Canada), and an organization that as recently as 10 days ago was flailing around the Cdn markets looking for cash from domestic investors, without even bringing their Executive Chairman to said meetings, comes home to roost.

And is Flair naive enough to believe Swoop allocated all it's winter capacity in its announcement a few weeks ago?

You'd have to have one heck of a sense of adventure to entrust your winter holiday plans to this outfit.
 
BML87
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:12 am

jimbo737 wrote:
YEG-MIA is close to 2,600 miles......in a 737-400. That could get interesting when the winter winds start to howl.


They'll be using a 737-800 on that route.
 
flyb
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:39 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:43 pm

[url][/url]
flyb wrote:
Looks like these 738's are run by AirTransat.

Wonder if you'll be able to use Aeroplan on these routes? One would assume you would.


Well with Aeroplan being purchased by Air Canada, I’m assuming Flair and Air Transat won’t be part of that program as planned.

One note, flair is designed on a ULCC structure WS was not. WestJet also has the pleasure of filling in a void left by bankruptcy of Canadian structured after the likes of Southwest. Today they are not a low coat carrier.

For the consumer I truly hope Flair succeeds. They have a long road a head of them though.
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:02 pm

I find it interesting how they'll get into MCO as opposed to SFB. It'll be interesting to see how they do in US leisure markets.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
 
sixtyseven
Posts: 829
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:42 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:13 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
Call it a rant if you'd like, or perhaps consider it sage advice from someone who's been actively involved with 3 low cost start ups that now operate close to 400 tails.

And who knows what's next...... 8-)

Flair continues to make strategic mistake after strategic mistake.

Did anyone at Flair consider why WS waited until they had about 45 tails before they started they're sched sun destinations almost 10 years after launch? And why WS started with a couple of sun routes rather than throwing darts at the board hoping something would stick.

YEG-MIA is close to 2,600 miles......in a 737-400. That could get interesting when the winter winds start to howl.

MIA a "low cost" airport? Huh?

This will be amusing to watch unfold as the reality of winter conditions, a widely geographically scattered 20+ year old fleet with virtually no domestic feed, competition from a significantly lower cost operator, (don't think for a nano second that Flair has anything close to the lowest cost structure in Canada), and an organization that as recently as 10 days ago was flailing around the Cdn markets looking for cash from domestic investors, without even bringing their Executive Chairman to said meetings, comes home to roost.

And is Flair naive enough to believe Swoop allocated all it's winter capacity in its announcement a few weeks ago?

You'd have to have one heck of a sense of adventure to entrust your winter holiday plans to this outfit.


Oh it’s a rant alright. Who’s a good little chihuahua??
Stand-by for new ATIS message......
 
jimbo737
Posts: 540
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:18 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:25 pm

BML87 wrote:
jimbo737 wrote:
YEG-MIA is close to 2,600 miles......in a 737-400. That could get interesting when the winter winds start to howl.


They'll be using a 737-800 on that route.


Who’s -800’s?
 
axiom
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:13 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I find it interesting how they'll get into MCO as opposed to SFB. It'll be interesting to see how they do in US leisure markets.


Yet chose PIE over TPA.

Less of a parallel, but I was mildly surprised to see MIA over FLL.
 
BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:20 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:17 pm

axiom wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
I find it interesting how they'll get into MCO as opposed to SFB. It'll be interesting to see how they do in US leisure markets.


Yet chose PIE over TPA.

Less of a parallel, but I was mildly surprised to see MIA over FLL.


Yeah I found that odd, my only guess is PIE offered perhaps more of an incentive/landing fee waiver, etc that made PIE more logical. PIE has the advantage of fitting the beach route over TPA.
 
axiom
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:24 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
axiom wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
I find it interesting how they'll get into MCO as opposed to SFB. It'll be interesting to see how they do in US leisure markets.


Yet chose PIE over TPA.

Less of a parallel, but I was mildly surprised to see MIA over FLL.


Yeah I found that odd, my only guess is PIE offered perhaps more of an incentive/landing fee waiver, etc that made PIE more logical. PIE has the advantage of fitting the beach route over TPA.


Yes - unlike SFB, PIE in some ways has the geographical advantage to the region's big attraction -- if the primary clientele is the beach visitor. TPA is much closer to the population center of the region, however.
 
flyb
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:39 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:49 am

[twoid][/twoid]
jimbo737 wrote:
BML87 wrote:
jimbo737 wrote:
YEG-MIA is close to 2,600 miles......in a 737-400. That could get interesting when the winter winds start to howl.


They'll be using a 737-800 on that route.


Who’s -800’s?


Transat
 
jimbo737
Posts: 540
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:18 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:01 pm

Genius move.

In a chronically low margin business, where airlines obsess about cutting costs where ever possible, the supposed lowest cost operator,which is a fairy tale unto itself, contracts flying, out, thus handing Transat, it's competition, margin on a silver platter.

The only person that made money on Greyhound Air was Barry Lapointe, who made his profit margin regardless of how much Greyhound lost, (which was a lot).

The same will occur here. Transat will take Flair's money all day long, with payment taken before push back. JME is smart enough to know not to extend any credit to these sorts of operators.

Even the most obtuse and amateur analyst would quickly figure out that contracting out sched flying on this sort of basis is idiotic and does not work.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2875
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:18 pm

WestJet are firing another shot at Flair (under the guise of 'listening to the local market'...funny how they don't do that anywhere Flair doesn't exist...must be a total coincidence) by adding back 4x weekly mainline on top of Swoop: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/w ... 40101.html
 
jimbo737
Posts: 540
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:18 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:43 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
WestJet are firing another shot at Flair (under the guise of 'listening to the local market'...funny how they don't do that anywhere Flair doesn't exist...must be a total coincidence) by adding back 4x weekly mainline on top of Swoop: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/w ... 40101.html


Which likely frees up the Swoop tail, as well as the others they've been sandbagging, to do other things.

So who do you think has lower costs?

Swoop who fly organically with the benefit of the larger entities economies of scale but much less complexity, (and therefore cost, with no brand confusion issues to contend with), or Flair, who have all their costs to contend with, and now have to pay a margin to Transat to operate the flights for them?

WS looked at this exact model, albeit with different aircraft types, in 1995. Preliminary discussions occurred with KFC in Calgary.

Basic analysis definitively concluded the model did not work. Little has changed since, (other than fuel is 3x the price).

Flair has yet to figure this out. They will, the hard way.

The lack of domestic investor interest in the venture, which is required to keep their ownership % on side with 49% cap, tells the story. If investors thought it was a solid bet, Flair would be turning down equity offers left, right and center.

Anyone dialed into the financial side of the business knows that Flair story is stale on the street and has no traction. I know they were pounding the pavement recently, and were doing so without their Executive Chairman in tow, which, frankly, is a bit weird. Investors want to see a good plan and good management. Showing up to pitch sessions without the big Kahuna does not inspire confidence.

Claiming to be profitable in July in Canada isn't much of a story. Toys R Us were profitable in December. So what? A duck with a lawn chair strapped to its back will make money in Canada in July and August.

It's those other 10 months of the year that investors are interested in and after 5 years + of trying, they remain uninterested in the story.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2875
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:14 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
WestJet are firing another shot at Flair (under the guise of 'listening to the local market'...funny how they don't do that anywhere Flair doesn't exist...must be a total coincidence) by adding back 4x weekly mainline on top of Swoop: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/w ... 40101.html


Which likely frees up the Swoop tail, as well as the others they've been sandbagging, to do other things.

So who do you think has lower costs?

Swoop who fly organically with the benefit of the larger entities economies of scale but much less complexity, (and therefore cost, with no brand confusion issues to contend with), or Flair, who have all their costs to contend with, and now have to pay a margin to Transat to operate the flights for them?

WS looked at this exact model, albeit with different aircraft types, in 1995. Preliminary discussions occurred with KFC in Calgary.

Basic analysis definitively concluded the model did not work. Little has changed since, (other than fuel is 3x the price).

Flair has yet to figure this out. They will, the hard way.

The lack of domestic investor interest in the venture, which is required to keep their ownership % on side with 49% cap, tells the story. If investors thought it was a solid bet, Flair would be turning down equity offers left, right and center.

Anyone dialed into the financial side of the business knows that Flair story is stale on the street and has no traction. I know they were pounding the pavement recently, and were doing so without their Executive Chairman in tow, which, frankly, is a bit weird. Investors want to see a good plan and good management. Showing up to pitch sessions without the big Kahuna does not inspire confidence.

Claiming to be profitable in July in Canada isn't much of a story. Toys R Us were profitable in December. So what? A duck with a lawn chair strapped to its back will make money in Canada in July and August.

It's those other 10 months of the year that investors are interested in and after 5 years + of trying, they remain uninterested in the story.


In 1995 those 'other' KFC aircraft would have been the Greyhound 727s.

I agree that Flair is making it up on the fly. They announced that YEG would become their 'connecting hub', yet all of the announcements since then (i.e. moving out of YHM, YEG/YWG-south with no connections) give no indication to making YEG a connecting point.

It still boggles my mind that they're ignoring the 2nd and 5th largest cities in Canada, even if they don't employ any bilingual FAs...which is very hard to believe. I hope they succeed in the long-term, but their lack of any coherent strategy reeks of amateurism. Jetlines, if they do in fact launch next year with that pair of 320s, is equally puzzling as to what they've announced they'd plan on doing thus far.
 
BML87
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:14 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
WestJet are firing another shot at Flair (under the guise of 'listening to the local market'...funny how they don't do that anywhere Flair doesn't exist...must be a total coincidence) by adding back 4x weekly mainline on top of Swoop: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/w ... 40101.html


It's not on top of Swoop. Swoop was going to do 11 weekly YEG-LAS, they'll now do 7, with the other 4 going to WS.

And people in Edmonton were angry for a number of reasons:
    Once the WS flights were cancelled they weren't put onto the non-stop Swoop flights they were routed through YYC
    Can't earn/redeem rewards on Swoop
    Can't book vacation packages

I think they actually did hear loud and clear.
 
jimbo737
Posts: 540
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:18 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:15 pm

You are correct vis a vis KFC's 727's, but numbers were run on DC9's and 737-200 / 300's, (neither of which KFC was interested in operating), and the economics still didn't work, and by a longshot.

At the time Valujet was snapping up all the DC9's in the market, and performance wise, the DC9 was marginal out of YLW.

This is a business where margin - every single penny - has to be recaptured , not given away.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2875
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:03 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
You are correct vis a vis KFC's 727's, but numbers were run on DC9's and 737-200 / 300's, (neither of which KFC was interested in operating), and the economics still didn't work, and by a longshot.

At the time Valujet was snapping up all the DC9's in the market, and performance wise, the DC9 was marginal out of YLW.

This is a business where margin - every single penny - has to be recaptured , not given away.


The only time it does make sense is for tour operators (e.g. Celebrity X Cruises), but even there most of that is now done in-house (e.g., TS dumping C6, who now no longer exist). New Leaf certainly learned that.
 
flyb
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:39 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:52 pm

Interesting read as we watch Flair enter this next phase. Impressive with 90% LF, surprised honestly. With 75% of business out of YEG, I wonder how that is affecting WS and AC.

Low-fare alternative Flair Airlines had a high-flying summer, according to a company news release.

The privately-owned airline reportedly doubled its capacity in June, expanding its network to 10 cities including Victoria and Halifax. The flights themselves reportedly surpassed passenger projections.

“Since mid-June … our fleet of seven aircraft has carried more than a quarter million passengers and we’re currently enjoying load factors in excess of 90 per cent,” David Tait, Flair’s executive chairman, said in the release
Continued... via
https://edmontonjournal.com/business/lo ... 1535491588
 
alan3
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:13 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:27 pm

So, Flair are trying to make it work by adding sun routes. Despite how aggressive AC and WS are about any competition, Sunwing and Transat have made it work, in no small part because they are owned by or partnered with package travel providers. Perhaps Flair can perhaps make it work to sun destinations by partnering with tour operators?

Not surprised to see how touchy the Big 2 and their supporters are about any competition (just see WS's response to Flair in YHM and YEG). If Australia, a smaller country than Canada, can make it work with Qantas/Jetstar, Virgin and Tiger, all competing on both domestic and holiday routes, there should be room in Canada for the competition.
 
flyb
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:39 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:52 am

Not surprised at all especially with Flair targeting YWG and YEG two larger secondary airports. Curious who their winter routings will do.

I’m sure Swoop has similar numbers, but obviously canabolising WS exsisting route structure.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2875
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:19 pm

It didn’t take long for WS to redeploy the 4x weekly YEG-LAS that were moved back to mainline. New Rex weekly YEG-YWG on Swoop.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/s ... 67701.html
 
Salomon
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Anyone with more details as to how the flights will be operated? Someone mentioned using B738 from Air Transat, would that be wet-lease or dry-lease?
Takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory.
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7054
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:39 am

Salomon wrote:
Someone mentioned using B738 from Air Transat, would that be wet-lease or dry-lease?


Only the title is freely readable but it says it all: https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... ir-transat
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2875
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Flair Adds Canada-US Routes (MCO/PIE/MIA/AZA/PSP/LAS)

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:20 pm

I just noticed something. Flair will have 0% USA point-of-sale. If you go on their website, it's impossible to booked MIA-YEG. Only YEG-MIA is possible for example.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos