janders
Topic Author

Air Asia X looks at US West Coast

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:31 pm

Seems plans are back on the table to fly to US West Coast again.

Fernandes says the carrier intends to start flights via Japan after they receive its first Airbus A330neos in 2019.

Both LA and SF are being evaluated but Fernandes says "If I were I betting man, you'd probably say Los Angeles first. But both have very large Asian communities as well. Both [are destinations] that people want to fly to"

Seems he is looking at Tokyo also as the Japan gateway "Tokyo, because of the shape of the world, it is so central to the world, it is 12 hours to Los Angeles, It really is fantastic positioning for an airline."

AirAsia X's Fernandes affirms US west coast plans
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ns-451215/
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

lightsaber

Re: Air Asia X looks at US West Coast

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:42 pm

I find it more interesting the A339 delivery schedule.

However, taking advantage of Japan as a natural launch point is wise.

Does any Japanese airport have enough surplus capacity to set up a hub wave of size?

I believe a long haul opperator with excellent cost control could stimulate TPAC travel. For what I envision, efficient and desirable connections are required. Or will that be left to Korea and China? Japan just has the O&D and geographic advantage.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

enilria

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:57 pm

janders wrote:

Fernandes says the carrier intends to start flights via Japan after they receive its first Airbus A330neos in 2019.

Both LA and SF are being evaluated but Fernandes says "If I were I betting man, you'd probably say Los Angeles first. But both have very large Asian communities as well. Both [are destinations] that people want to fly to"

Seems he is looking at Tokyo also as the Japan gateway "Tokyo, because of the shape of the world, it is so central to the world, it is 12 hours to Los Angeles, It really is fantastic positioning for an airline."

Correct me, but I thought there were bilateral restrictions on Tokyo 5th freedom and that was why KIX-Hawaii? Perhaps he is starting up a Japanese subsidiary to bypass that?

believeinflight

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:57 pm

Isn't Air Asia X based in Malaysia? So Japan might be a scissor hub between N America and SE Asia for this airline?

LAXintl

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:17 pm

As far as the US is concerned they have held authority since 2015 so nothing to hamper them on this end.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Polot

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:21 pm

LAXintl wrote:
As far as the US is concerned they have held authority since 2015 so nothing to hamper them on this end.

Air Asia X already flies to the US (HNL), just not the mainland.

abrelosojos

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:26 pm

enilria wrote:
Correct me, but I thought there were bilateral restrictions on Tokyo 5th freedom and that was why KIX-Hawaii? Perhaps he is starting up a Japanese subsidiary to bypass that?

= No harm in getting AirAsia Japan to fly these routes then. But with Fernandes, it is any news to keep himself and the airline visible in the news cycle it seems.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

bfitzflyer

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:36 pm

Opportunity is ripe as SFO TOKYO fares are really high nonstop. Gone from a lot of players to basically AA/JAL and ANA/UA so competition is way down smaller aircraft compared to all the 747's that used to fly it.

717atOGG

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:45 pm

I actually think this could work. O&D on California-Japan is really high, and any connecting pax to KUL is just gravy. Plus, as mentioned before, fares on US-Japan are pretty high so they could help to bring them down a bit. Being a LCC, they might be able to do lower-yield routes too like NGO-LAX or NRT-LAS.

I found a OMAAT article on this if you want take a look or haven't read the Flightglobal one yet. https://onemileatatime.com/air-asia-x-west-coast-usa/
Long live the Boeing 757!

enilria

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:01 pm

LAXintl wrote:

enilria wrote:
janders wrote:

I looked it up. They can do LAX/SFO from Tokyo, but HNL and the rest of the USA only from KIX/NGO/etc.

A Malaysian carrier may operate Malaysia-TYO-HNL, but no 5th freedom traffic.
A Malaysian carrier may operate Malaysia-TYO-LAX/SFO with no restriction except that only code sharing is allowed beyond LAX/SFO.
A Malaysian carrier may operate unlimited 5th Freedom beyond Japan from all other gateways except TYO.

https://www.mavcom.my/wp-content/upload ... ements.pdf

787fan8

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:05 pm

If I'm not mistaken, I believe they are also looking at starting LAS as well.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

bzcat

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:09 pm

Malaysia also has 5th freedom ex-TPE but I suspect NRT will offer better opportunities for Air Asia X.

PatrickZ80

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:36 pm

According to this news article (in Dutch) they will probably operate these flights from Nagoya.

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... nd-amerika

For sure it will not be Tokyo, that market is too congested. Too much competition. Not that it matters much as Japan will basically be nothing but a fuel stop, so likely they won't pick the most expensive airports. Nagoya suits them. Public there is lower yielding and therefor more likely to pick an LCC over a legacy airline, so this is actually an advantage to them.

If this goes on it'll almost be possible to fly low-cost around the world on 2 LCCs. Only gap is Bangkok where Norwegian and Air Asia each use a different airport, so you'd have to change airports. Same could be the case if they pick San Francisco where Norwegian uses Oakland, but most likely they'll start Los Angeles first so that shouldn't be a problem.

ddp

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Any talk of YVR? Could they make that work long term?

LAXintl

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:42 pm

5th freedom via Tokyo is no issue for Malaysian carriers. If one remembers MAS LAX service for many years was via Narita before transferring to Taipei.

Also operating via Japan is a good move for them. The Air Asia partnership with Rakuten the largest e-commerce site in Japan is what is largely helping fill the HNL service. I am sure they similarly will generate sales for West Coast routes as well.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Midwest2K

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:56 pm

Dear new posters:

West coast refers to California, Oregon, and Washington State.

Please do not say how Airport ABC (east of the Rocky Mountains) should get this service.

Cdydatzigs

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:13 pm

I wouldn't count out SAN either, with its large Asian and military population, as well as the brand new international terminal.

Polot

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:16 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
According to this news article (in Dutch) they will probably operate these flights from Nagoya.

For sure it will not be Tokyo, that market is too congested. Too much competition. Not that it matters much as Japan will basically be nothing but a fuel stop, so likely they won't pick the most expensive airports. Nagoya suits them. Public there is lower yielding and therefor more likely to pick an LCC over a legacy airline, so this is actually an advantage to them.

If this goes on it'll almost be possible to fly low-cost around the world on 2 LCCs. Only gap is Bangkok where Norwegian and Air Asia each use a different airport, so you'd have to change airports. Same could be the case if they pick San Francisco where Norwegian uses Oakland, but most likely they'll start Los Angeles first so that shouldn't be a problem.

Japanese O&D traffic will likely be huge drivers for the success of these flights. Japan is more critical than just being a fuel stop, as Japan-USA traffic is much higher than Malaysia-USA.

many321

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Cdydatzigs wrote:
I wouldn't count out SAN either, with its large Asian and military population, as well as the brand new international terminal.

Agreed. I'd also add ONT. By the end of the year, if CI makes their TPE flight work with their night swap, AirAsia could check ONT out as an alternative to LAX.

7673mech

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Midwest2K wrote:
Dear new posters:

Please do not say how Airport ABC (east of the Rocky Mountains) should get this service.

No Miami??? :-)

lavalampluva

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:04 pm

LAX and SFO are typically the first mainland cities to get service from Asia.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

Midwest2K

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:16 pm

7673mech wrote:
Midwest2K wrote:
Dear new posters:

Or ATL, AUS, BNA, BOS, CLE, CLT, CMH, CVG, DFW, DTW, EWR, IAD, IAH, IND, JFK, MCI, MSP, ORD, PHL, PIT, RDU, STL, or the airport of the week.

lightsaber

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Midwest2K wrote:
7673mech wrote:
Midwest2K wrote:
Dear new posters:

Or ATL, AUS, BNA, BOS, CLE, CLT, CMH, CVG, DFW, DTW, EWR, IAD, IAH, IND, JFK, MCI, MSP, ORD, PHL, PIT, RDU, STL, or the airport of the week.

No DEN? Technically on the other side of the divide...
:P
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

mdavies06

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:40 am

I believe it is only a matter of time before Air Asia X will use its Japan AOC to launch these flights. The group has just topped up its order to 100. They will eventually place a portion of this on the Japan AOC, and so not related to 5th freedom between Malaysia and Japan. I do question what their plan for the rest of USA is as the 330neo might be out of range for the rest of the USA from Japan at their configuration.

master14225

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:44 am

Does everyone forget about YVR or SEA? California is not the entire west coast and it pisses me off when people think it is...

Newbiepilot

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:48 am

They have to wait until 4th quarter of 2019 for first delivery of the A330neo, so it will be a while before we know exactly what they plan to do.

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:54 am

mdavies06 wrote:
I believe it is only a matter of time before Air Asia X will use its Japan AOC to launch these flights. The group has just topped up its order to 100. They will eventually place a portion of this on the Japan AOC, and so not related to 5th freedom between Malaysia and Japan. I do question what their plan for the rest of USA is as the 330neo might be out of range for the rest of the USA from Japan at their configuration.

At 7200nm range, the A33N will be just fine. All of the USA (with the exception of Puerto Rico) is well inside the range circle from NRT.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:00 am

master14225 wrote:
Does everyone forget about YVR or SEA? California is not the entire west coast and it pisses me off when people think it is...

YVR & SEA aren't in the West Coast. They're in another dimension :lol:
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

juliuswong

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:19 am

bzcat wrote:
Malaysia also has 5th freedom ex-TPE but I suspect NRT will offer better opportunities for Air Asia X.

TPE is possible for D7 but BR and CI are now offering very competitive rate via KUL. Hence may not be able to compete competitively in long term.

TF is/was in Japan for past few days, meeting up with different aviation/airport authorities and things are certainly looking up for TF. There is a reason why TF has been very patient with DJ's setup. After much delay, I mean very long wait, finally it was allowed to take off. They were incurring high cost when their A320 were sitting idle at NGO for more than a year (some newly delivered A320ceo were diverted to other subsidiaries). Now with AOC in hand, they would need to build substantial market recognition and following before venturing into US West Coast.

Issue on hand: how JAL new long haul subsidiary and ANA plans to fight them will determine the survival.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

Polot

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:28 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
mdavies06 wrote:

At 7200nm range, the A33N will be just fine. All of the USA (with the exception of Puerto Rico) is well inside the range circle from NRT.

East coast US might be a challenge. Remember Air Asia X has a densier than normal configuration. Air Asia X has expressed concern about LHR-KUL (although the 251t A339 probably took care of that)- Tokyo-NYC for example is even farther and the distance gets longer as you move down the coast.

trex8

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:34 am

An a339 is not flying westbound against the jetstream from the us east coast or midwest to Japan with any worthwhile payload. oh maybe they will need some a338s for that! theres always ANC or HNL to stop, doubt the people flying them will care if trip takes 2 hours longer.

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:51 am

Polot wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
mdavies06 wrote:

East coast US might be a challenge. Remember Air Asia X has a densier than normal configuration. Air Asia X has expressed concern about LHR-KUL (although the 251t A339 probably took care of that)- Tokyo-NYC for example is even farther and the distance gets longer as you move down the coast.

Their configuration is indeed heavy, but I also factored that into the original claim I made. As well, with a PAX load of 440 (I think Air Asia X might be a less), they're probably a bit lighter on belly cargo than a more traditional configuration; the weight delta may not be as much as it would at first seem. I'm sure more solid numbers are due out soon or presently, but a 7200nmi airplane with a nominal load probably can do the 6460nm that, say, NRT-MIA would require.

None of that means I think they're planning on doing that, of course. I just don't think the 339's range would be a show stopper, even if they did have to take a small payload hit.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

Polot

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:57 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Polot wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Their configuration is indeed heavy, but I also factored that into the original claim I made. As well, with a PAX load of 440 (I think Air Asia X might be a less), they're probably a bit lighter on belly cargo than a more traditional configuration; the weight delta may not be as much as it would at first seem. I'm sure more solid numbers are due out soon or presently, but a 7200nmi airplane with a nominal load probably can do the 6460nm that, say, NRT-MIA would require.

None of that means I think they're planning on doing that, of course. I just don't think the 339's range would be a show stopper, even if they did have to take a small payload hit.

That 7200nm marketing number is already with no cargo (just bags), no wind, and 287 passengers. That is how Boeing and Airbus provide marketing still air ranges. Air Asia X’s will seat ~90-100 more people based on their current A333 configuration and if they use space flex or not. Air Asia X carries cargo as well.

eta unknown

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:17 am

Polot wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

Japanese O&D traffic will likely be huge drivers for the success of these flights. Japan is more critical than just being a fuel stop, as Japan-USA traffic is much higher than Malaysia-USA.

+1. These flights are all about Japanese originating pax- not a mere refueling stop!

monomojo

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:42 am

Midwest2K wrote:
7673mech wrote:
Midwest2K wrote:
Dear new posters:

woohoo, let's talk MCO!

FA9295

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:50 am

For those of you who are mentioning YVR, the title of this thread clearly says "US West Coast".

That consists of SEA, PDX, LAS, RNO, SFO/SJC/OAK/SMF, LAX/ONT, SAN

As for what I think are likely and unlikely to happen:

- Some people on here have mentioned LAS. I think this could work, and I also think that a LCC such as Air Asia X would perform better on the route then a legacy carrier.
- LAX, ONT, SJC and SFO are always on the table (with ONT being the outlier, of course). Although, I think OAK may also suit them well, given that airport tends to attract more LCCs.
- Forget about PDX, SMF and RNO. Low demand.
- SEA or SAN may be able to work, but I would think that partnering with a U.S. airline (such as Alaska) would benefit them. Although as an LCC, I don't see that happening at all.
Last edited by FA9295 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

FA9295

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:51 am

monomojo wrote:
Midwest2K wrote:
7673mech wrote:

woohoo, let's talk MCO!

You're forgetting about the infamous XNA! ;)

c933103

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:00 am

enilria wrote:
janders wrote:

If they setup an AirAsia X Japan then they won't have such limitation and that shouldn't be too hard given they already have AirAsia Japan. However, since AirAsia Japan is now operating with NGO as base airport, they won't be able to get much local feed at Tokyo
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

c933103

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:01 am

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/201808 ... 81000.html

In a separate news, AirAsia CEO responded to NHK's interview, in which he mentioned that in the future they want to open route to destinations such as America Los Angels and Europe in the future from Hokkaido.
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

gunsontheroof

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:16 am

master14225 wrote:

Well, the OP specifically cited LAX and SFO as the markets being looked at, so there's that. YVR and SEA are doing just fine these days. I'm not sure that SEA can handle much more in the way of international growth these days and it's probably not going to post terrific yields for an airline like Air Asia X. As others have said, LAX and SFO are almost always the first destinations for US-bound Asian operators, and there's plenty of good reason for it.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

melpax

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:14 am

FA9295 wrote:
For those of you who are mentioning YVR, the title of this thread clearly says "US West Coast".

- Some people on here have mentioned LAS. I think this could work, and I also think that a LCC such as Air Asia X would perform better on the route then a legacy carrier.
- LAX, ONT, SJC and SFO are always on the table (with ONT being the outlier, of course). Although, I think OAK may also suit them well, given that airport tends to attract more LCCs.
- SEA or SAN may be able to work, but I would think that partnering with a U.S. airline (such as Alaska) would benefit them. Although as an LCC, I don't see that happening at all.

If you look at what they're doing in Melbourne (moving their flights from MEL to AVV), they will proably fly to ONT & OAK rather than LAX or SFO. Especially if those secondary airports are cheaper than the 'main' airport to operate out of & it's nearby suburbs have a large Asian immigrant population (as is the case with AVV).
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

reality

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:50 pm

. . . and don't forget this . . . from 2009!

“Undoubtedly when we picked the Raiders as the team we would feature, we obviously had Oakland on our mind,” said Tony Fernandes, chief executive of AirAsia Group. “Because this airport has lots of low-cost carriers, in our mind it’s a logical step to come here.”

PIC: "AirAsia Flight Attendents from Malaysia take photos in front of the new Raiders branded A340 airplane at the Oakland Maintenance Center at the Oakland International Airport in Oakland, Calif. on Monday Sept. 14, 2009. AirAsia and the Oakland Raiders have partnered to expand the Raider's fan base in Asia and to promote the AirAsia brand in the United States."

Of course the Raiders are off to Las Vegas now! Perhaps AirAsiaX will follow. :)

SOURCE: https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2009/09/14 ... -branding/

PW100

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:59 pm

Midwest2K wrote:
Dear new posters:

You mean, stay away from discussing the large untapped DTW market that DL does not want to see??? :o
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

SonaSounds

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:36 pm

reality wrote:
. . . and don't forget this . . . from 2009!

“Undoubtedly when we picked the Raiders as the team we would feature, we obviously had Oakland on our mind,” said Tony Fernandes, chief executive of AirAsia Group. “Because this airport has lots of low-cost carriers, in our mind it’s a logical step to come here.”

PIC: "AirAsia Flight Attendents from Malaysia take photos in front of the new Raiders branded A340 airplane at the Oakland Maintenance Center at the Oakland International Airport in Oakland, Calif. on Monday Sept. 14, 2009. AirAsia and the Oakland Raiders have partnered to expand the Raider's fan base in Asia and to promote the AirAsia brand in the United States."

Of course the Raiders are off to Las Vegas now! Perhaps AirAsiaX will follow. :)

SOURCE: https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2009/09/14 ... -branding/

Given both LEVEL and BA are leaving OAK and DY is rumored to be leaving OAK next year as well I would think AirAsia might want to reconsider that option. Yields on average are 3x-4x higher at SFO than OAK and 2x at SFO than SJC. The few more bucks in CPE is easily offset with even a slight yield difference especially given that all of BA, IB, and DYs catering is done at SFO and has to be trucked to OAK/SJC let alone most of the cargo is trucked and processed at SFO as well.

Although my money is on them starting LAX first

c933103

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:07 pm

FA9295 wrote:

Is PHX "West Coast"?

ucdtim17

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:25 pm

SonaSounds wrote:
DY is rumored to be leaving OAK next year as well

:eyebrow: source?

BayAreaFlyer

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:59 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:

He has no source, it’s false information.

SonaSounds

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:26 pm

BayAreaFlyer wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:

Or maybe some of us aren't armchair airline CEOs and know a thing or two because we actually work in the industry :roll:

I'll tag you in this post within the next 18 months

eamondzhang

Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:54 am

trex8 wrote:
An a339 is not flying westbound against the jetstream from the us east coast or midwest to Japan with any worthwhile payload. oh maybe they will need some a338s for that! theres always ANC or HNL to stop, doubt the people flying them will care if trip takes 2 hours longer.

Show me your proof when normal A333 can do LAX-HND easily already, heck they even do YVR-PVG now.

Michael

ucdtim17

Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:43 pm

BayAreaFlyer wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:

So when would we know if this is going to happen? Some time this fall? Christmas?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos