Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
xjetflyer2001
Topic Author
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:20 pm

200 Destinations for KDEN

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:58 pm

Denver International Airport will soon reach 200 total destinations, an elite group of only a few airports to have so many destinations including ORD, DFW, and a few others.

With this tremendous milestone is it only up for DIA from here?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... R2A4MwGb1G
Last edited by xjetflyer2001 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4843
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:03 pm

DEN is impressive.
 
mwmav8r01
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:22 pm

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:05 pm

If I could only fly a leg in there and not get a runway or arrival change Id be more impressed :-)

On a side note, didnt they lose flights with Great Lakes shutting down? Or were those just transfered to others?
 
xjetflyer2001
Topic Author
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:14 pm

mwmav8r01 wrote:
If I could only fly a leg in there and not get a runway or arrival change Id be more impressed :-)

On a side note, didnt they lose flights with Great Lakes shutting down? Or were those just transfered to others?


I'm not sure about all, but I know Boutique picked up some of them, they only had 3 or 4 destinations I believe when they shut down anyway
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6194
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:38 pm

Is there a list of number of destinations by airport?
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
User avatar
787fan8
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:09 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Is there a list of number of destinations by airport?

That's something I wish I could see as well. It's amazing how much DEN has grown the past few years in terms of destinations, and I'm sure that with the new gates under construction, more are on the way.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate
 
EWRandMDW
Posts: 446
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:28 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:15 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Is there a list of number of destinations by airport?


I'm curious to know if by destination they mean airport or city. MDW and ORD both serve Chicago so if counting by city it's 1 destination, if counting by airport it's 2.
 
SPREE34
Posts: 1744
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:09 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:18 pm

mwmav8r01 wrote:
If I could only fly a leg in there and not get a runway or arrival change Id be more impressed :-)

On a side note, didnt they lose flights with Great Lakes shutting down? Or were those just transfered to others?


Yup. In 24 yeas the promised ATC abilities/capabilities still haven't materialized.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.
 
LHUSA
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:15 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:20 pm

A bit off topic, but I recall maybe 10 years ago that MSP has the most destinations of any airport (can't remember if that was US or worldwide). Does anyone else remember this? I think the number was over 200.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7344
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:35 pm

What was destination #200?
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
CIDFlyer
Posts: 2158
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:19 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:00 am

LHUSA wrote:
A bit off topic, but I recall maybe 10 years ago that MSP has the most destinations of any airport (can't remember if that was US or worldwide). Does anyone else remember this? I think the number was over 200.


I seem to recall this as well.
 
believeinflight
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:34 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:02 am

Denver is conveniently located centrally in North America, so a great connecting point
 
RushmoreAir
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:29 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:10 am

I did some quick analysis of top airports in the world by number destination airports (e.g. ORD & MDW = 2 destination airports), for calendar year 2018.

Seems like ATL and ORD basically tie for most "well served" destinations (at least 3x daily, airline agnostic), whereas PEK and major European airports have many more subdaily leisure destinations that pump up their total. DEN is at 197 in this ranking, as of today's filed schedules, placing it at 22nd worldwide. Looking at destinations served at least daily year-round, DEN has 146 which would place it at #6 worldwide, behind ORD/DFW/ATL/FRA/AMS in that order.

Rank Airport Total Dests ≥3x daily ≥1x daily ≥1x weekly ≥26 ops/year < 26 ops/year
1 FRA 318 75 75 117 25 26
2 CDG 301 66 72 127 16 20
3 IST 272 54 87 127 4
4 AMS 263 75 72 100 7 9
5 MUC 262 60 61 91 27 23
6 PEK 247 56 57 130 2 2
7 ORD 246 115 64 55 6 6
8 ATL 246 118 48 66 6 8
9 LGW 234 34 66 95 17 22
10 DFW 233 93 84 43 5 8
11 DXB 229 49 79 92 6 3
12 MAN 218 21 53 104 11 29
13 PVG 217 54 45 110 2 6
14 BCN 214 40 56 95 11 12
15 MAD 213 56 44 93 13 7
16 LHR 207 64 53 71 15 4
17 YYZ 206 63 42 72 15 14
18 VIE 204 36 46 77 21 24
19 BRU 201 25 49 96 15 16
20 STN 200 18 57 106 11 8
21 SVO 199 53 55 64 16 11
22 DEN 197 86 60 33 11 7
23 FCO 197 43 49 87 7 11
24 DUS 196 26 35 91 25 19
25 LAX 195 73 38 62 4 18
NW UA DL F9 CO WN LO QF FI AC MU CA EU LH LX DY B6 AA HA NZ MW HU U2 SK AF EK IB HX WS G4 AZ IG 4B

The views and opinions as expressed in this post are entirely my own and are not those of my employer, Hawaiian Airlines, Inc
 
axiom
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:20 am

Fascinating analysis, Rushmore. Thanks for sharing. May I ask how you compiled the data, and from where? Really interesting stuff!
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8475
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:30 am

LHUSA wrote:
A bit off topic, but I recall maybe 10 years ago that MSP has the most destinations of any airport (can't remember if that was US or worldwide). Does anyone else remember this? I think the number was over 200.


I really doubt it, even at the height of the Saabs and flights to Thunder Bay, Kenora, etc.
 
BAINY3
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:37 am

LHUSA wrote:
A bit off topic, but I recall maybe 10 years ago that MSP has the most destinations of any airport (can't remember if that was US or worldwide). Does anyone else remember this? I think the number was over 200.

There's no way it had the most destinations overall. Maybe the most destinations per capita by metro area or something like that, but even for that one I thought DEN was slightly higher than MSP.
 
airtrantpa
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:53 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:19 am

I wonder how long G4 will keep the AVL-DEN route seems like such an odd city pair to me
AirTran: Go there's no stopping you!
712,722,732,733,735,73G,738,739,752,753,762,763,764,772,A318,319,320,320,343,L1011,D8,M82/88/90

flown on all U.S based carriers that have existed since 1991
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:18 am

Wonder how far over 200 it'll go once the expansion is done and WN adds new destinations.
 
RushmoreAir
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:29 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:06 pm

axiom wrote:
Fascinating analysis, Rushmore. Thanks for sharing. May I ask how you compiled the data, and from where? Really interesting stuff!


Data came from one of the industry schedule reference services, much like where Enrilia gets the weekly schedule update. Then just a bit of excel magic and here we are.
NW UA DL F9 CO WN LO QF FI AC MU CA EU LH LX DY B6 AA HA NZ MW HU U2 SK AF EK IB HX WS G4 AZ IG 4B

The views and opinions as expressed in this post are entirely my own and are not those of my employer, Hawaiian Airlines, Inc
 
axiom
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:59 pm

RushmoreAir wrote:
axiom wrote:
Fascinating analysis, Rushmore. Thanks for sharing. May I ask how you compiled the data, and from where? Really interesting stuff!


Data came from one of the industry schedule reference services, much like where Enrilia gets the weekly schedule update. Then just a bit of excel magic and here we are.


Makes sense -- thanks, and thanks again for running the report. If you ever wanted to run one for US airports, I'm sure you'd get a good discussion going. Be fascinating to see the differences (if any) among the FAA's 30 large hub airports. (Or maybe it's time that I get access and run it myself...)
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:04 pm

airtrantpa wrote:
I wonder how long G4 will keep the AVL-DEN route seems like such an odd city pair to me


Just announced that it will be seasonally resumed early next year, in February. Must have done reasonably well.
 
evank516
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:28 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:
I wonder how long G4 will keep the AVL-DEN route seems like such an odd city pair to me


Just announced that it will be seasonally resumed early next year, in February. Must have done reasonably well.


This is probably a result of a lot of people from the Northeast retiring to this region of NC who may enjoy skiing in the winter or something. Move out of the expensive Northeast to the cheaper South and boom, disposable income.
 
airtrantpa
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:53 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:39 pm

evank516 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:
I wonder how long G4 will keep the AVL-DEN route seems like such an odd city pair to me


Just announced that it will be seasonally resumed early next year, in February. Must have done reasonably well.


This is probably a result of a lot of people from the Northeast retiring to this region of NC who may enjoy skiing in the winter or something. Move out of the expensive Northeast to the cheaper South and boom, disposable income.



Well AVL is in the mtns on WNC amd we have ski resorts in the area, but of it works im glad for G4, AVL needs more NS flights besides Florida, CLT, ORD, ATL amd EWR
AirTran: Go there's no stopping you!
712,722,732,733,735,73G,738,739,752,753,762,763,764,772,A318,319,320,320,343,L1011,D8,M82/88/90

flown on all U.S based carriers that have existed since 1991
 
evank516
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:52 pm

airtrantpa wrote:
evank516 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

Just announced that it will be seasonally resumed early next year, in February. Must have done reasonably well.


This is probably a result of a lot of people from the Northeast retiring to this region of NC who may enjoy skiing in the winter or something. Move out of the expensive Northeast to the cheaper South and boom, disposable income.



Well AVL is in the mtns on WNC amd we have ski resorts in the area, but of it works im glad for G4, AVL needs more NS flights besides Florida, CLT, ORD, ATL amd EWR


Yeah, but nothing beats the ski resorts of Vail, Aspen, and surrounding areas. People fly to DEN and drive or take a shuttle.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 20538
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:49 pm

RushmoreAir wrote:
I did some quick analysis of top airports in the world by number destination airports (e.g. ORD & MDW = 2 destination airports), for calendar year 2018.

Seems like ATL and ORD basically tie for most "well served" destinations (at least 3x daily, airline agnostic), whereas PEK and major European airports have many more subdaily leisure destinations that pump up their total. DEN is at 197 in this ranking, as of today's filed schedules, placing it at 22nd worldwide. Looking at destinations served at least daily year-round, DEN has 146 which would place it at #6 worldwide, behind ORD/DFW/ATL/FRA/AMS in that order.

Rank Airport Total Dests ≥3x daily ≥1x daily ≥1x weekly ≥26 ops/year < 26 ops/year
1 FRA 318 75 75 117 25 26
2 CDG 301 66 72 127 16 20
3 IST 272 54 87 127 4
4 AMS 263 75 72 100 7 9
5 MUC 262 60 61 91 27 23
6 PEK 247 56 57 130 2 2
7 ORD 246 115 64 55 6 6
8 ATL 246 118 48 66 6 8
9 LGW 234 34 66 95 17 22
10 DFW 233 93 84 43 5 8
11 DXB 229 49 79 92 6 3
12 MAN 218 21 53 104 11 29
13 PVG 217 54 45 110 2 6
14 BCN 214 40 56 95 11 12
15 MAD 213 56 44 93 13 7
16 LHR 207 64 53 71 15 4
17 YYZ 206 63 42 72 15 14
18 VIE 204 36 46 77 21 24
19 BRU 201 25 49 96 15 16
20 STN 200 18 57 106 11 8
21 SVO 199 53 55 64 16 11
22 DEN 197 86 60 33 11 7
23 FCO 197 43 49 87 7 11
24 DUS 196 26 35 91 25 19
25 LAX 195 73 38 62 4 18

I personally appreciate the work you put in and the easy to understand format.

What I didn't understand is how far down the list 200 is today! I fully expect the new IST to top the list in 2020.

This list highlights how many destinations are less than daily.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10197
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:43 pm

evank516 wrote:
This is probably a result of a lot of people from the Northeast retiring to this region of NC who may enjoy skiing in the winter or something. Move out of the expensive Northeast to the cheaper South and boom, disposable income.

No offense but no one if going to pick North Carolina for its skiing least of all people from the Northeast who can't stand the heat and humidity of the region. Why do I know? My Boston based company established a presence in RDU and thy literally had to bribe people to convince anyone to move down there.
 
Rdh3e
Posts: 3632
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:07 pm

airbazar wrote:
evank516 wrote:
This is probably a result of a lot of people from the Northeast retiring to this region of NC who may enjoy skiing in the winter or something. Move out of the expensive Northeast to the cheaper South and boom, disposable income.

No offense but no one if going to pick North Carolina for its skiing least of all people from the Northeast who can't stand the heat and humidity of the region. Why do I know? My Boston based company established a presence in RDU and thy literally had to bribe people to convince anyone to move down there.

You misread his post. He says people from the northeast who love to ski have moved to NC. They thus need a way to get to a ski resort. Hence AVL-DEN.
 
evank516
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:38 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
airbazar wrote:
evank516 wrote:
This is probably a result of a lot of people from the Northeast retiring to this region of NC who may enjoy skiing in the winter or something. Move out of the expensive Northeast to the cheaper South and boom, disposable income.

No offense but no one if going to pick North Carolina for its skiing least of all people from the Northeast who can't stand the heat and humidity of the region. Why do I know? My Boston based company established a presence in RDU and thy literally had to bribe people to convince anyone to move down there.

You misread his post. He says people from the northeast who love to ski have moved to NC. They thus need a way to get to a ski resort. Hence AVL-DEN.


Thank you for clarifying.
 
SurfandSnow
Posts: 1591
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:09 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:44 pm

All three of DEN's major hub carriers are busy adding service to new destinations. I would not be surprised to see WN add nonstop service to Costa Rica; perhaps they will even do the Caribbean. UA continues to expand into niche markets (FLG, MMH, MRY and STS are the latest examples). Further additions like ACV, ALW, BTM, CYS, FWA, GCN, GRB, IFP, LWS, MHK, MOB, PDT, PIR, ROW, WYS, etc. certainly could be possible. F9 could seemingly do anything, from a resumption of Alaska services (if they give FAI another go that would count as another market for DEN) to trying something out of left field like BTV or GUA. Then there are other carriers.. G4 could add service to another unserved market, such as PVU or VPS. Norwegian could add nonstop service to unserved destinations in Europe. KE could start flying to ICN. The possibilities are endless for DEN, what with the booming local economy and enduring popularity of the city with young professionals that love to travel...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:42 am

evank516 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:
I wonder how long G4 will keep the AVL-DEN route seems like such an odd city pair to me


Just announced that it will be seasonally resumed early next year, in February. Must have done reasonably well.


This is probably a result of a lot of people from the Northeast retiring to this region of NC who may enjoy skiing in the winter or something. Move out of the expensive Northeast to the cheaper South and boom, disposable income.


Believe it or not, many of us who grew up in the South also like skiing. :biggrin:
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1424
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:43 am

airbazar wrote:
evank516 wrote:
This is probably a result of a lot of people from the Northeast retiring to this region of NC who may enjoy skiing in the winter or something. Move out of the expensive Northeast to the cheaper South and boom, disposable income.

No offense but no one if going to pick North Carolina for its skiing least of all people from the Northeast who can't stand the heat and humidity of the region. Why do I know? My Boston based company established a presence in RDU and thy literally had to bribe people to convince anyone to move down there.


Interestingly, many of us feel the same about Boston.
 
User avatar
United787
Posts: 2942
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 12:20 pm

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:22 am

Curious if anyone knows how many destinations are served by a combined JFK, LGA and EWR...
 
airbazar
Posts: 10197
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:15 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
Believe it or not, many of us who grew up in the South also like skiing. :biggrin:

Some of my best skiing buddies live in Atlanta and every year we go on a ski vacation in the Rockies.
 
evank516
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:02 pm

airbazar wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
Believe it or not, many of us who grew up in the South also like skiing. :biggrin:

Some of my best skiing buddies live in Atlanta and every year we go on a ski vacation in the Rockies.


Funny, my cousin lives in Chattanooga and he and his wife go skiing out west too :D
 
rph99
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 3:27 am

Re: 200 Destinations for KDEN

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:52 am

F9 will no doubt add more cities (even just once or twice a week). I expect more in the N.E.

A few years ago Frontier ran daily flights from Denver to MROC on an A319. I took it a several times over the years and a gate agent once told me the flight was ALWAYS booked full. They could without doubt make that work again. It was a great red eye with an early morning flight back to DEN.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos