Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Skyblue39

Re: AA announces PHL-TXL/DBV/BLQ/EDI, PHX-LHR, DFW-DUB/MUC, CLT-MUC, ORD-ATH

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Only last week, I got lambasted for suggesting that US Airlines are not interested in MAN. To further cement this notion, AA then scrap MAN-ORD. It’s clear that TATL traffic from MAN cannot really support year-round service with the exception of NYC and Florida. All other routes are highly seasonal and suited to leisure carriers. Therefore I can’t see UA stepping in with ORD-MAN.

DobboDobbo

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:44 pm

UA have applied to use the B767 on MAN-EWR. Whether that comes to pass is another matter, but it indicates UA are looking to grow at MAN rather than retreat.

bridge29

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:00 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
Skyblue39 wrote:
Only last week, I got lambasted for suggesting that US Airlines are not interested in MAN. To further cement this notion, AA then scrap MAN-ORD. It’s clear that TATL traffic from MAN cannot really support year-round service with the exception of NYC and Florida. All other routes are highly seasonal and suited to leisure carriers. Therefore I can’t see UA stepping in with ORD-MAN.

PHL-MAN is year-round.

American 767

Re: AA announces PHL-TXL/DBV/BLG/EDI, PHX-LHR, DFW-DUB/MUC, CLT-MUC, ORD-ATH

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:12 pm

Rookie87 wrote:
Would this mean JFK becomes a 777 station for transatlantic? And this being the move of all 767s to PHL?

I haven't heard any official announcement about that but according to everything I see in the forum, it looks like this is what is going to happen in the near future. They are already about to remove the last 2 TATL flights on the 757s out of JFK: EDI and DUB. After that, they will stop flying the 757 on TATL runs out of JFK. And the only two destinations in Europe to which they still fly the 767 out of JFK are CDG and MAD. It looks like PHL and MIA will soon be the last two bases for the 757 and 767 aircraft.
Ben Soriano

atx11

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:55 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
chepos wrote:
DaufuskieGuy wrote:

God bless em if it works, with zero muc feed and little in dfw save a few small tx cities it seems like a stretch

You obviously have never been to DFW or have no clue the scope of the hub. Little in DFW, that is just such an absurd comment on so many levels.

Well you do have the Texas cities but getting west of that you can go thru other hubs both in US and e.g. phx could do lhr, and of course from the west coast it's non stop. Mexico and Lat Am pax its not easy to fly thru a us hub easier in lhr fra etc.

But the 788 is pretty small so maybe it works. Lh used to have a 343 from fra now a 330 btw

Did I miss an LAX/PHX to MUC nonstop route announcement on AA? Do you understand the hub model of US airlines and their alliances? How do you think DFW-HKG/PEK/PVG/ICN/anywhere else survive? Based on Dallas and other Texas cities alone? For awhile people were having to fly back East to Dallas from the West Coast to pick up the HKG flight.

Have you ever connected at LHR before? I think everyone stateside (with a clue) would take a DFW connection of LHR anyway of the week.

LH was going to up-gage back to a 343 before this announcement fwiw.

Freshside3

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:12 am

Skyblue39 wrote:

Most of the problem is that the US3 are spazzing out over the Brexit, and that most of the non-LHR flights have become casualties...…….seems to be a common thread, during the past couple of years, that flights to BHX, MAN, NCL, GLA, BFS, etc. have either been reduced our eliminated...…...due to over-reaction on the Brexit. Seems to be the most logical reason.

And UA definitely won't do ORD-MAN.

admanager

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:52 am

Dominion301 wrote:
admanager wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Probably close to 20 years. It was an early 738 route.

Looks like AC will be rejoicing at this announcement too.

Actually over 43 years at a minimum. Copied from Departedflights.com for 1975 OAG Toronto

AMERICAN AIRLINES
Aircraft Operated:
Boeing 707/707-320 FanJet, Boeing 727-100, Boeing 727-200, McDonnell Douglas DC-10
Destinations Served:
Chicago O'Hare, Los Angeles, New York LaGuardia

Perhaps my memory's fading, but I seem to recall AA announcing the YYZ-LAX route in the late 90s? In other words, I don't know whether YYZ-LAX on AA has been continuous since at least 1975???

It's been continuous for AA, But in 1991 AS started non=stop LAX-YYZ which didn't last long. They even gave away free gold coins on the route (I assume thinking those travelling on expenses would be able to 'pocket' the gold coin while expensing the airfare. Below is the route announcement.
Santa Ana Orange County Register (Newspaper) - October 1, 1991, Santa Ana, California Tuesday, October 1, 1991 The Orange County Register A19DISCOVER GOLD 3&000 FEET ADOVE CANADA. Starting October 8, you can strike it rich on Alaska Airlines. Because when you fly our new daily nonstops from Los Angeles International to Toronto, we'll give you one free pure gold Canadian coin worth $41 U.S. We'll give you another one (also free) when you fly back

usflyer msp

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:09 am

admanager wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
admanager wrote:
Actually over 43 years at a minimum. Copied from Departedflights.com for 1975 OAG Toronto

AMERICAN AIRLINES
Aircraft Operated:
Boeing 707/707-320 FanJet, Boeing 727-100, Boeing 727-200, McDonnell Douglas DC-10
Destinations Served:
Chicago O'Hare, Los Angeles, New York LaGuardia

Perhaps my memory's fading, but I seem to recall AA announcing the YYZ-LAX route in the late 90s? In other words, I don't know whether YYZ-LAX on AA has been continuous since at least 1975???

It's been continuous for AA, But in 1991 AS started non=stop LAX-YYZ which didn't last long. They even gave away free gold coins on the route (I assume thinking those travelling on expenses would be able to 'pocket' the gold coin while expensing the airfare. Below is the route announcement.
Santa Ana Orange County Register (Newspaper) - October 1, 1991, Santa Ana, California Tuesday, October 1, 1991 The Orange County Register A19DISCOVER GOLD 3&000 FEET ADOVE CANADA. Starting October 8, you can strike it rich on Alaska Airlines. Because when you fly our new daily nonstops from Los Angeles International to Toronto, we'll give you one free pure gold Canadian coin worth $41 U.S. We'll give you another one (also free) when you fly back

It has not been continous for AA. The current LAX-YYZ route was launched in conjunction with QF dropping YYZ in 2000. It was discussed on A.net --
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51687&p=370987

airzona11

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:55 am

Freshside3 wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:

Most of the problem is that the US3 are spazzing out over the Brexit, and that most of the non-LHR flights have become casualties...…….seems to be a common thread, during the past couple of years, that flights to BHX, MAN, NCL, GLA, BFS, etc. have either been reduced our eliminated...…...due to over-reaction on the Brexit. Seems to be the most logical reason.

Where do you see overreaction or anything Brexit based? These airlines have a fixed amount of assets (planes) and need to operate them where they can earn the largest return. All of those secondary cities are very well served from partner hubs. They clearly are making more money flying widebodies to the large EU hubs and having that traffic connect. Long and thin routes are expensive and don't make a lot of money. Continental had a large UK network, but Continental also was not making sums of money. The reason the flights are canceled is they aren't making money or if they are they can make better money elsewhere. Not Brexit. LHR > GLA/NCL/MAN/BHX/etc

LAX772LR

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:58 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Though who knows: AA is getting cozier with CZ in the region. Maybe CX could offer DL a simple codeshare-- stranger things have happened. Or HX, who knows.

Back when DL first cancelled SEA-HKG, I already kind of thought that DL could have codeshare with HX to increased its connection network (albeit not by much) ex-HKG.

I wondered the exact same thing.

Granted, there are restrictions on how much an HKG carrier can transit codeshare pax from the USA to PRC, so that might have limited the utility, but still it seems like it could've greatly assisted DL with HKG point of sale.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Dominion301

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:45 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
admanager wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

It has not been continous for AA. The current LAX-YYZ route was launched in conjunction with QF dropping YYZ in 2000. It was discussed on A.net --
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51687&p=370987

LOL so my memory was half-decent. I was right about the then-new 738s and I was only off by a couple of years. I wonder whether this is a case of losing the WS codeshare and thereby losing all the WS connections? Wonder whether we'll eventually see a daily YYZ-LAX on DL to compliment WS' services.

Brandon757

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:44 pm

atx11 wrote:
DaufuskieGuy wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
chepos wrote:

You obviously have never been to DFW or have no clue the scope of the hub. Little in DFW, that is just such an absurd comment on so many levels.

Well you do have the Texas cities but getting west of that you can go thru other hubs both in US and e.g. phx could do lhr, and of course from the west coast it's non stop. Mexico and Lat Am pax its not easy to fly thru a us hub easier in lhr fra etc.

But the 788 is pretty small so maybe it works. Lh used to have a 343 from fra now a 330 btw

Did I miss an LAX/PHX to MUC nonstop route announcement on AA? Do you understand the hub model of US airlines and their alliances? How do you think DFW-HKG/PEK/PVG/ICN/anywhere else survive? Based on Dallas and other Texas cities alone? For awhile people were having to fly back East to Dallas from the West Coast to pick up the HKG flight.

Have you ever connected at LHR before? I think everyone stateside (with a clue) would take a DFW connection of LHR anyway of the week.

LH was upgauging to a 346 next summer. I've seen posts on a DFW Spotters Facebook that they have decided to not do this now. How reliable that is I do not know.

mfe777

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:07 pm

delete, double post
Last edited by mfe777 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mfe777

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:08 pm

Brandon757 wrote:
atx11 wrote:
DaufuskieGuy wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]

LH was upgauging to a 346 next summer. I've seen posts on a DFW Spotters Facebook that they have decided to not do this now. How reliable that is I do not know.

Lufthansa just had to write off an A340-600 due to fire, and yes, the upgauge was cancelled. Load factors continue to be strong but if the aircraft isn't there, it isn't there. I think a 747 upgauge would be too big of a jump in capacity.

FCOTSTW

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:53 pm

asuflyer wrote:
BLQ and DBV are very interesting for the usually conservative AA.

You are right! Very much so! So far, Italian destinations for US carriers (besides MXP and FCO) have been VCE (DL/UA/US Airways... did AA pick this route up?) and PSA (DL). Very first time I hear a transatlantic US carrier going into BLQ. I am really curious about the outcome of this. It is a very industrial area and I am sure it can have a good chance of success.

American 767

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:37 pm

And what about trying PHL-SVO on the 767? Would that work? It doesn't look like they will launch any new international routes from JFK but they possibly could do so from their PHL main hub. And what about PHL-AGP on the 757, even if only seasonal? That would also be a good idea.
Ben Soriano

usflyer msp

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:40 pm

American 767 wrote:
And what about trying PHL-SVO on the 767? Would that work? It doesn't look like they will launch any new international routes from JFK but they possibly could do so from their PHL main hub. And what about PHL-AGP on the 757, even if only seasonal? That would also be a good idea.

No US carrier will be flying to Russia anytime soon.

winginit

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:02 pm

So is AA now going to try and camp on both ORD-PEK and ORD-PVG slots/authorities? Can't imagine DL or UA will let that fly without a legal contest.

Bigant0408

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:05 pm

American 767 wrote:

IMO I doubt AA would start any routes to Russia since there's barely any routes in general from US carriers. As for AGP I know AA has been interested in this route in which I read an article with Vasu Raja stated this. He didn't mentioned which market they would intend on flying from but if or when it does start I bet more than likely it'll be from PHL at least
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

jetsetter629

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:17 pm

bridge29 wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
Skyblue39 wrote:

PHL-MAN is year-round.

This has been a well performing route for years and years, supported by a lot of corporate pharma traffic

Freshside3

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:25 pm

airzona11 wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:

Where do you see overreaction or anything Brexit based? These airlines have a fixed amount of assets (planes) and need to operate them where they can earn the largest return. All of those secondary cities are very well served from partner hubs. They clearly are making more money flying widebodies to the large EU hubs and having that traffic connect. Long and thin routes are expensive and don't make a lot of money. Continental had a large UK network, but Continental also was not making sums of money. The reason the flights are canceled is they aren't making money or if they are they can make better money elsewhere. Not Brexit. LHR > GLA/NCL/MAN/BHX/etc

Maybe I'm wrong.....but it seemed like too much of a coincidence that the timeframe of these services cancelling or downsizing, one right after another, right after Britain announced the plans to leave the EU. Difficult not to think "cause and effect", and assuming that was the case. Thanks for clarifying that.

jbs2886

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:26 pm

winginit wrote:
So is AA now going to try and camp on both ORD-PEK and ORD-PVG slots/authorities? Can't imagine DL or UA will let that fly without a legal contest.

Depends on if DL/UA want more Chinese rights. If they do, they'll get them. AA threw such a fit over both HND and Chinese rights when DL would seasonally adjust (yes, sometimes to the extreme), but still within their right. So if DL/UA want those rights, AA made its bed.

GSP psgr

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:33 pm

American 767 wrote:

I would think we would see Helsinki before Moscow; apparently Moscow and St. Petersburg are the top connecting markets for the JFK-HEL service. I'm actually a bit surprised we didn't see PHL-HEL as a summer seasonal A332; Finnair chose LAX instead.

American 767

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:15 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
American 767 wrote:

I would think we would see Helsinki before Moscow; apparently Moscow and St. Petersburg are the top connecting markets for the JFK-HEL service. I'm actually a bit surprised we didn't see PHL-HEL as a summer seasonal A332; Finnair chose LAX instead.

Yes HEL also is another possible market to look at from PHL or even CLT, since AY is in One World. But the question is would it be on AA or AY metal?

From PHL:
On AY metal it would be either an A333 or A359. On AA metal it would be a 757, a 763 or an A332.

From CLT:
On AY metal same as above. On AA metal most likely it would be an A332 because CLT is an A330 base for AA. Not a 763 because those are ending up being based out of PHL, and maybe MIA, and definitely not a 757 for the same reason and also CLT-HEL is a bit too long for a 757 to be flown nonstop although the 757 has flown MAN-ORD nonstop before.

Now here is another interesting question. Will PHL and CLT ever see the 787? I think they will eventually, in four or five years from now, when the A333s and 763s are gone, and when the 787 fleet grows.
Ben Soriano

Bigant0408

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:29 pm

American 767 wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:
American 767 wrote:

Yes HEL also is another possible market to look at from PHL or even CLT, since AY is in One World. But the question is would it be on AA or AY metal?

From PHL:
On AY metal it would be either an A333 or A359. On AA metal it would be a 757, a 763 or an A332.

From CLT:
On AY metal same as above. On AA metal most likely it would be an A332 because CLT is an A330 base for AA. Not a 763 because those are ending up being based out of PHL, and maybe MIA, and definitely not a 757 for the same reason and also CLT-HEL is a bit too long for a 757 to be flown nonstop although the 757 has flown MAN-ORD nonstop before.

Now here is another interesting question. Will PHL and CLT ever see the 787? I think they will eventually, in four or five years from now, when the A333s and 763s are gone, and when the 787 fleet grows.

787's will be based in PHL in 2-3 years as it was stated by AA staff few months back. I can't wait for that to happen as it seems like AA dumps the older aircraft to PHL

Fastphilly

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:02 pm

atx11 wrote:
DaufuskieGuy wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
chepos wrote:

The only people that would back track from the west coast to fly AA out of DFW to HKG are your price sensitive backpack travelers (the most undesirable segment), West Coast cities have had many choices to fly to HKG for decades (CX, SQ or UA). Don’t exaggerate.

PHLspecial

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:04 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
787's will be based in PHL in 2-3 years as it was stated by AA staff few months back. I can't wait for that to happen as it seems like AA dumps the older aircraft to PHL

At the end of 2019 only 6 B767 will be retired. Maybe PHL will get lucky and see 1 or 2 787 at PHL by 2020. Mostly likely the 2021 season is when PHL will see the full 787s in service.

atx11

Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:58 am

Fastphilly wrote:
atx11 wrote:
DaufuskieGuy wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]

The only people that would back track from the west coast to fly AA out of DFW to HKG are your price sensitive backpack travelers (the most undesirable segment), West Coast cities have had many choices to fly to HKG for decades (CX, SQ or UA). Don’t exaggerate.

Umm, please explain how it was an exaggeration... Just stating a fact. Not in the slightest just for “backpack travelers” as individuals wanting to use SWUs, miles + copay upgrades, corp travel, etc had to utilize this route for a period of time. For a flight of this length, there were quite a few pax in such a scenario.

Bigant0408

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:24 am

PHLspecial wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

At the end of 2019 only 6 B767 will be retired. Maybe PHL will get lucky and see 1 or 2 787 at PHL by 2020. Mostly likely the 2021 season is when PHL will see the full 787s in service.

Seems like forever but at least PHL will finally get newer aircraft eventually.

Fastphilly

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:47 am

atx11 wrote:
Fastphilly wrote:
atx11 wrote:

Umm, please explain how it was an exaggeration... Just stating a fact. Not in the slightest just for “backpack travelers” as individuals wanting to use SWUs, miles + copay upgrades, corp travel, etc had to utilize this route for a period of time. For a flight of this length, there were quite a few pax in such a scenario.

It is for back packers/trash yield passengers pure and simple. Nobody is going to add 7 to 8 hours to their travel time for the sake of miles unless they are rock bottom yield passengers trying to fly as many miles as possible for a coveted upgrade. That reeks of low yield. Furthermore, it is minuscule that any passenger from the major west coast cities would fly to DFW and connect for a flight to Hong Kong. Yes you are exaggerating.

atx11

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:43 am

Fastphilly wrote:
atx11 wrote:
Fastphilly wrote:

It is for back packers/trash yield passengers pure and simple. Nobody is going to add 7 to 8 hours to their travel time for the sake of miles unless they are rock bottom yield passengers trying to fly as many miles as possible for a coveted upgrade. That reeks of low yield. Furthermore, it is minuscule that any passenger from the major west coast cities would fly to DFW and connect for a flight to Hong Kong. Yes you are exaggerating.

You’re out over your skis here. Not going to turn this into a pissing contest, but this was definitely not for backpackers when the route first launched. Emphasis on *first launched*. Also, you’re not adding a flight for miles (no clue where that came from), as an EXP/CK you have SWUs or you can also use Miles + copay for upgrades. You’re not using those on CX...

Idk if you’re an old LUS guy or what, but for LAX AA elites, it was a no brainer flying 2.5 hrs back to DFW from LA to snag a J seat to HKG. Again, this was when the flight first launched...not now.

Also when trashing people as “low-yield” remember some employers only pay coach fare, and at the time PE was not around yet. So yes, you had biz travelers backtrack to get an upgrade for a 15 hr flight. Not every single biz traveler is going to shell out $5000 for J.

Just from a personal note, not that this makes any difference whatsoever, I was on this flight monthly and shared quite a few trips with LAX based flyers when the DFW route first started. So before accusing someone of exaggerating, get your facts straight.

jfklganyc

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:06 pm

You guys in Philly are bitchin about old planes.

We have no planes coming to JFK from AA.

Those old planes were our planes!

Just to give you a reality check

FSDan

Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:22 pm

The only real surprises to me in these route announcements are PHL-BLQ and PHL-DBV (both good surprises!), and to some extent ORD-MAN being dropped. AA couldn't make PHL-FRA work year-round, so I'm not at all surprised to see that go. I'm hopeful that they'll restart JFK-FRA at some point with a competitive aircraft (787) in a few years since they're claiming to focus on business travelers in NYC.

PHL-MUC moving down to CLT isn't all that surprising to me either. It's well-documented that the CLT area has lots of corporate ties to Bavaria (and not just BMW), and CLT is in a good location to offer connections to Florida and the rest of the South - it's what has kept DL's ATL-MUC flight going strong for decades. I'm not sure what business ties there are between PHL and MUC, but they must not have looked as compelling on paper as the prospects in CLT...

Dropping DUB, EDI, and PAP from JFK makes sense given AA's overall strategy in NYC. FLL-PAP also isn't too surprising since AA's pulling out of almost all point-to-point markets. All that's left for them to cut at this point are PIT-RDU (I'd expect DL to step in on that one), BOS-MDT, BOS-ROC, and BOS-SYR (again, perhaps opportunities for DL to steal from AA as they beef up BOS). And then some Sat-only beach market flying that probably is just for utilization purposes anyway...

I guess I'd count the ORD-NRT reduction as somewhat of a surprise as well, although given the JV with JL, AA will still technically have a daily+ option to sell in the ORD-NRT market.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

N649DL

Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:42 pm

Damn these are insane additions especially with Croatia service. PHL must be an ATM for AA for them to launch these routes.

usflyer msp

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:08 am

N649DL wrote:
Damn these are insane additions especially with Croatia service. PHL must be an ATM for AA for them to launch these routes.

I am actually curious as to how AA plans on serving DBV on the days its' flight does not operate. BA only serves DBV from LGW which makes their flight essentially useless for NA and IB's flights only connect to the TATL bank in one direction. It would hurt their loads if pax could only travel on the days AA is operating.

N649DL

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:18 am

usflyer msp wrote:
N649DL wrote:

I am actually curious as to how AA plans on serving DBV on the days its' flight does not operate. BA only serves DBV from LGW which makes their flight essentially useless for NA and IB's flights only connect to the TATL bank in one direction. It would hurt their loads if pax could only travel on the days AA is operating.

They have to be keeping extra 763 to account for it. That and I'm extremely surprised they're doing PHX-LHR with a 777. Very cool, thought it would be 763.

chepos

Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:08 am

N649DL wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
N649DL wrote:

They have to be keeping extra 763 to account for it. That and I'm extremely surprised they're doing PHX-LHR with a 777. Very cool, thought it would be 763.
m

It would make no sense loostics wise to operate a 763 between PHX-LHR, that equipment type does not even operate to either LHR or PHX. I was expecting more of a 332 but the 772 is what makes most sense.
Fly the Flag!!!!

acentauri

Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

FSDan wrote:
The only real surprises to me in these route announcements are PHL-BLQ and PHL-DBV (both good surprises!), and to some extent ORD-MAN being dropped. AA couldn't make PHL-FRA work year-round, so I'm not at all surprised to see that go. I'm hopeful that they'll restart JFK-FRA at some point with a competitive aircraft (787) in a few years since they're claiming to focus on business travelers in NYC.

PHL-MUC moving down to CLT isn't all that surprising to me either. It's well-documented that the CLT area has lots of corporate ties to Bavaria (and not just BMW), and CLT is in a good location to offer connections to Florida and the rest of the South - it's what has kept DL's ATL-MUC flight going strong for decades. I'm not sure what business ties there are between PHL and MUC, but they must not have looked as compelling on paper as the prospects in CLT..........

LH is upgrading PHL-FRA daily - year round next year, with the more premium heavy main line A330-300, versus the previous A340-300 CityLine (leisure configured) aircraft. Why AA is moving MUC to CLT escapes me. This'll create head to head competition with LH for long standing commercial contracts and resident German leisure travelers. Several years ago, LH stated that CLT-MUC was one of the airline's most profitable routes, due principally to commercial contracts. At the time, AA and LH also entered into a mutual operating agreement, permitting AA to sell tickets on the LH CLT-MUC flight, even though AA was no longer a member of Star-Alliance. I don't know if this agreement still stands. These changes may be nothing other than a supplement to that agreement, giving PHL-FRA solely to LH in exchange for AA getting a piece of the CLT-MUC pie, or something more clandestine.

EvanWSFO

Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:34 pm

If BLQ and DBV last the entire S19 season, it will be a shocker.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

klwright69

Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:04 pm

So AA will just do MIA to PAP? I recall UA couldn't make EWR-PAP work either.

PHLspecial

Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:08 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:

What do you mean? It's not for PHL O&D. It's for seasonal travelers connecting through PHL. Simply it's cheaper for me to drive up to NYC have a connecting flight through PHL to BLQ or DBV.

Why do you think it's going to perform poorly?

chepos

Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:51 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:

People on here said the same thing about PRG and BUD, both are coming back. You never really know how a route will perform until it is flown. BLQ is a bit of a head scratcher but with the amount of American traffic to DBV that one will most prob work, I was expecting ZAG more than DBV tbh.
Fly the Flag!!!!

BA744PHX

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:17 am

Not posted in OAG, but from what I see MIA goes from 2 daily LHR on AA to 1 daily for S19. At the same time BA has added an additional flight for 3 daily 747's for S19.

PHX flight will be in rotation with RDU

City Departure Arrival Aircraft Flight #
RDU 5:55PM LHR 6:35AM B772 174
LHR 9:30AM PHX 12:30PM B772 195
PHX 3:00PM LHR 9:20AM B772 194
LHR 10:30AM RDU1:55PM B772 173

N649DL

Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:03 am

chepos wrote:
N649DL wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

m

It would make no sense loostics wise to operate a 763 between PHX-LHR, that equipment type does not even operate to either LHR or PHX. I was expecting more of a 332 but the 772 is what makes most sense.

Why? I just find it aggressive that AA would jump into PHX-LHR with a 777 instead of a 787 or 763. Cool either way though.

chepos

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:14 pm

N649DL wrote:
chepos wrote:
N649DL wrote:

m

Why? I just find it aggressive that AA would jump into PHX-LHR with a 777 instead of a 787 or 763. Cool either way though.

AA and BA are in a JV, BA in the summer operates a second frequency on the route a couple of days a week on the 747, this replaces that but daily with a smaller equipment. AA knows how BA is doing on this route as they will operate on the route as one (per the JV), they are not going blindly and playing a guessing game. In the summer the BA flight is very busy, hence why a second frequency was added.
Fly the Flag!!!!

JonNYC

Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:52 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
Not posted in OAG, but from what I see MIA goes from 2 daily LHR on AA to 1 daily for S19. At the same time BA has added an additional flight for 3 daily 747's for S19.

Was covered a bit here a ways back:
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... on-market/

Swadian

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:09 am

American 767 wrote:

That would be PHL-DME to connect with S7. Would only happen if there's a détente with Russia.

American 767 wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:
Would this mean JFK becomes a 777 station for transatlantic? And this being the move of all 767s to PHL?

I haven't heard any official announcement about that but according to everything I see in the forum, it looks like this is what is going to happen in the near future. They are already about to remove the last 2 TATL flights on the 757s out of JFK: EDI and DUB. After that, they will stop flying the 757 on TATL runs out of JFK. And the only two destinations in Europe to which they still fly the 767 out of JFK are CDG and MAD. It looks like PHL and MIA will soon be the last two bases for the 757 and 767 aircraft.

DFW still sees the 757 on DFW-LIM.

winginit wrote:

DL just dropped SEA-HKG and I can't imagine UA doing much better in China. AA could move to PHL or DFW.

GSPFlyer

Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:00 am

LGAviation wrote:
CLT-MUC is interesting, let's see whether they talked to BMW because otherwise both DFW and CLT might be overkill.

Don't forget Siemens, they have a large presence in Charlotte.

AAIRLINERS

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:17 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
AAIRLINERS wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
AA holds onto JFK-CDG.

I would hope that goes 2x 757 with 767s looking to be on their way to PHL. Frequency is important, 777 seems like alot of seats at one time to me.

Both CDG and MAD Will be a single 772 a day. I definitely agree about the overage of seats though. Then again MXP and BCN do it. Should it not work there’s not a lot of routes that would sustain 772 usage in the system.
Definitely not a good sub for the 767 in thinner markets. The A332 certainly but I think that ship has sailed.
I think after 2019 there will be continued reduction at JFK limiting INT to LHR, GRU, and hopefully EZE. Where to go with the unused frames will be interesting. Perhaps replacing the A333 from PHL and CLT to LHR...that might make more sense IMO.

AA wants to get the mechanically unreliable 757/767 fleet out of the JFK market to simplify maintenance and consolidate at PHL, where the terrible hard product hurts them less.

Personally I think it is bigger than that. Your point about the 757/767 fleet consolidating at PHL makes sense for both reasons. Here's where I disagree on the 772. The 772 is the 762 of the late eighties and nineties. AA is trying to make it work by adding seats but still it does not competitively fit into the market where it is flying out of JFK with the exception of Deep South and LHR, the latter by virtue of the BA agreement.
Problem is, there is no where in the route system that they can be used effectively (ie economically) particularly with the advent of the 787 and A350 for long range flights and again the 787 and A330 for the shorter flights. In this case it is put them where they can hurt AA the least. As a pilot I love the 772 for its sturdiness and ease of operation. But it is very apparent to me that time is not on its side going into the relatively near future. The 773 maybe around for quite awhile but as others have stated the 772 might be relegated to the package haulers before long.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:38 pm

The issue isn't the 777, its the AA route system that isn't able to support a 777 any more. There was a time where they could effectively use the plane on certain city pairs and given the freight, on international segments. But as AA has faced additional competition, added Mr Parker and his entourage, and retrenched to what it is now trying to portray as "fortress hubs," they have seen market share decline, delayed aircraft deliveries, cancelled new plane acquisitions, while playing the old, "trust us we know best and just need XX quarters to succeed."

The bottom line is: Either your with Parker and his view of how the airline is being run your not. Until that question is settled, it will be a "bumpy ride."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos