Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Qantas PER-LHR reporting extremely high load factors, now QF’s most profitable route

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:10 am

Alan Joyce has reported today at the sidelines of the QF group results PER-LHR is recording high load factors of 92% across all classes while premium cabins are at 94%, making it the most profitable route for QF, the average loaf factor across the network is just over 80%.

Qantas says the service is performing way above expectations.

Qantas will also wait around another 6 months before announcing PER-CDG with an announcement expected in the first quarter next year.

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/qan ... y-records/
Forum Moderator

Judge1310

Re: Qantas PER-LHR reporting extremely high load factors, now QF’s most profitable route

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:18 am

Accolades to Qantas! :-)
If you've got the equipment and can make the yields work then it sounds like PER to Europe and such is a slam-dunk! :)

Bluebird191

Re: Qantas PER-LHR reporting extremely high load factors, now QF’s most profitable route

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:25 am

Will be interesting to know it is considered “QF’s most profitable route”. Is it maybe profit per flight operated; profit per passenger; profit per week; profit per month; or some kind of other way of measuring profitability?

LAXLHR

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:41 am

Judge1310 wrote:
Accolades to Qantas! :-)
If you've got the equipment and can make the yields work then it sounds like PER to Europe and such is a slam-dunk! :)

Let's see. London is a very different market to the rest of Europe for Oz.
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 330s 340s 350 380

planemanofnz

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:46 am

Interesting - I wonder if this would lead BA and/or VS to take a look at LHR - PER themselves?

Cheers,

C.

Bogof7478

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:05 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Interesting - I wonder if this would lead BA and/or VS to take a look at LHR - PER themselves?

Cheers,

C.

BA will find it difficult to provide onwards connectivity from Perth, Qantas can spread people over syd mel etc. Once theres equipment that can do lon-syd direct then it’ll be interesting

planemanofnz

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:20 am

Bogof7478 wrote:
BA will find it difficult to provide onwards connectivity from Perth, Qantas can spread people over syd mel etc. Once theres equipment that can do lon-syd direct then it’ll be interesting

I thought I read that most of this flight was O&D in nature, and connections were minimal? For connections, BA can always put passengers on QF metal at PER, if need be, through a codeshare (and VS on VA metal)? I'm sure QF codeshares with BA at LHR?

Cheers,

C.

Andy33

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:25 am

planemanofnz wrote:
I thought I read that most of this flight was O&D in nature, and connections were minimal?

The LHR-PER continues to MEL and the PER-LHR starts at MEL, so pax to/from MEL probably aren't counted as connecting.

TC957

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:39 am

Hang on....what happened to all those here on a-net that insisted ULR flights are a tough call to make any money on at all ?

Max Q

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:40 am

Interesting

For people on the east coast of Australia that connect through Perth en route to London they are adding time to their journey as that’s south of a great circle route

Stopping in Hong Kong is as direct as possible so I wonder why that’s not significant to people?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

ZaphodHarkonnen

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:42 am

TC957 wrote:
Hang on....what happened to all those here on a-net that insisted ULR flights are a tough call to make any money on at all ?

That was my first thought as well. lol

ULH is still going to be risky and the price of fuel will have a massive effect on the profitability of such routes. But sometimes when you gamble you win big. Looks like the Qantas team did their homework and found a winner.

Flanker7

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:47 am

TC957 wrote:

There all in hiding :x
Flying blue only if possible

Qf648

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:48 am

May be most profitable per head count but at 217 people per plane vs 300+ in a 380 May not be generating the same revenue.

But congrats nevertheless and will be trying his route in 2 weeks

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:49 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
TC957 wrote:

That was my first thought as well. lol

ULH is still going to be risky and the price of fuel will have a massive effect on the profitability of such routes. But sometimes when you gamble you win big. Looks like the Qantas team did their homework and found a winner.

I suspect the route routing is where the money is.

Rumor has it that these flights are able to carry 10 tonne of freight whilst at the same time fly faster. This suggests the 787's are literally surfing the jet streams.

cam747

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:00 am

qf789 wrote:
Alan Joyce has reported today at the sidelines of the QF group results PER-LHR is recording high load factors of 92% across all classes while premium cabins are at 94%, making it the most profitable route for QF, the average loaf factor across the network is just over 80%.

I’m glad the route is working out well for them, and hopefully it continues, and leads to PER being a mini 787 hub over time. However I just want to put a couple of things into perspective:
  • Load factors should be REALLY high. They have replaced a daily 484-seat A380 service that had a one city catchment (MEL), with a 236-seat B789 service with a two city catchment (MEL & PER).
  • Its still early days. It will be interesting to see what repeat bookings are like next year. I say this because I know two clients who have done the route, one in economy who has sworn never to do it again, and another in J who found it bearable, but would still prefer to go via SIN. I know its not a big sample size to make judgement though.

cougar15

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:14 am

Great to hear, now waiting on FRA/CDG (in that order)……..
some you lose, others you can´t win!

dredgy

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:29 am

cam747 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
  • Load factors should be REALLY high. They have replaced a daily 484-seat A380 service that had a one city catchment (MEL), with a 236-seat B789 service with a two city catchment (MEL & PER).

While you make a valid point, the data doesn’t seem to be backing that up because something like 75% of load is O&D traffic, which means the flight would be profitable without any connections at all. It would indicate the most people flying from MEL are doing so with Emirates, QF via sin or other airlines.

Waterbomber

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:40 am

Qf648 wrote:
May be most profitable per head count but at 217 people per plane vs 300+ in a 380 May not be generating the same revenue.

I remain very skeptical. The route launched a few months ago and there is still a novelty effect and the mass hysteria of the marketing wave that generated a lot of attention.

It will be interesting to see if there will be returning customers. Only few people fly long haul weekly.

Also very doubtful that this route is the most profitable in absolute terms.
Either that or they should be dumping their A380's right away, and not refurbishing them.

I maintain my opinion that this is a very risky move for QF as they are losing market share very quickly.
Short term profits, mid term losses, long term disaster.
By the time their 778's get delivered, even that may be too big for the Kangaroo route.

Waterbomber

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:43 am

Qf648 wrote:

I remain very skeptical. The route launched a few months ago and there is still a novelty effect and the mass hysteria of the marketing wave that generated a lot of attention.

It will be interesting to see if there will be returning customers. Only few people fly long haul weekly.
It will be interesting to see how the route holds over the winter, because it's not hard to be profitable in the high season.

Also very doubtful that this route is the most profitable in absolute terms. It's just a CEO trying to justify a plan that has a lot of issues in it (B778X/A350KULR) because no airline openly ever announces what routes are making money.
Either that or they should be dumping their A380's right away, and not refurbishing them.

I maintain my opinion that this is a very risky move for QF as they are losing market share very quickly.
Short term profits, mid term losses, long term disaster.
By the time their 778's get delivered, even that may be too big for the Kangaroo route.

We'll see who is right, but the more I see the CEO shouting success, the more I feel that he's worried.

AsiaTravel

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Waterbomber wrote:
It will be interesting to see how the route holds over the winter, because it's not hard to be profitable in the high season.

Premium cabins are already filled up to at least 70% for the next two months already and May and June were the low season.

RJMAZ

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:22 pm

Does Qantas actually use LHR on the flight plan? There is probably not enough reserve fuel so they might use a closer airport on the flight plan and divert to LHR every time.

Qantas has done this before on westbound flights from North America. They put Brisbane as the destination on the flight plan but all passengers are flying to Sydney. They calculate the fuel usage while over the pacific and decide if they can make it to Sydney. On the odd occasion with strong winds the flight has to go to Brisbane for a fuel stop.

Its a little bit dodgy but you can effectively get around the rules and add 5-10% effective range to the aircraft.

If the 789's are carrying payload they probably have 100-200nm extra range under the belt.

I'm surprised Qantas isnt talking about Melbourne to Athens. Only 200nm further.
Last edited by RJMAZ on Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XAM2175

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:26 pm

cam747 wrote:
They have replaced a daily 484-seat A380 service that had a one city catchment (MEL), with a 236-seat B789 service with a two city catchment (MEL & PER).

To some extent it even extends the catchment to ADL, CBR, and even BNE - for the former two it removes the back-track to MEL or SYD and is the first all-QF metal one-stop to LHR they've had in a long time, if ever, and for the latter it's now a second all-QF option on top of going via SIN.

EChid

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:29 pm

TC957 wrote:

Of anyone, I suspect Australians to be the most prepared for the idea of an extremely long flight. It's essentially a necessity for them to go anywhere except Southeast Asia. If anyone can put off a ULR, it's them.

That said, given my conversations with Australians they are all willing to try an alternative first and then make a decision - so I suspect that there are a lot of first-timers and we'll need to see if they come back. Lots of Aussies tried DXB once and then decided they much preferred stopping over in SIN (can't blame them, really). It may be the same thing here - but time will tell.

winGl3t

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:29 pm

RJMAZ wrote:
If the 789's are carrying payload they probably have 100-200nm extra range under the belt.

I'm surprised Qantas isnt talking about Melbourne to Athens. Only 200nm further.

I'm not surpresed the aren't.
Too low yielding (albeit high volume) and too long haul.

AsiaTravel

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:35 pm

cam747 wrote:
They have replaced a daily 484-seat A380 service that had a one city catchment (MEL), with a 236-seat B789 service with a two city catchment (MEL & PER).

MEL wasn't the only city catchment, Dubai was, and all of its connection to the EK network. I flew QF9/10 countess of times and only did the whole journey twice, the other times I would fly to Dubai and then take an EK flight to a secondary city in Europe or flyLHR to DXB then onward to PER on EK.

parapente

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:39 pm

I would respectfully suggest they are way past the 'novelty' factor-if (and I doubt it) it ever existed.I know plenty of people (business and pleasure) who have taken and all without exception preferred it to 'the usual'.So the extraordinary load factors come as no surprise.As such It is very likely imho that non stop from other Aus cities will be equally popular when the day comes.

Rishul93

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:47 pm

Waterbomber wrote:
Qf648 wrote:

Also very doubtful that this route is the most profitable in absolute terms.

As per the article - " making it the airline’s most profitable service say, analysts."

Nice play of words in there, with no credibility of whats mentioned.

Fact remains it is a 236 seater aircraft.
At 92% overall load factor, we can be fairly certain that there isn't a lot of cargo revenue contribution.

Mini1000

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:59 pm

winGl3t wrote:
RJMAZ wrote:

Yes, and just to skip ahead, they ain't gonna fly non-stop to Malta either.

zeke

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:10 pm

qf789 wrote:

Those load factors are too high if true, they would need to be turning away business to average those numbers.

RJMAZ wrote:
Does Qantas actually use LHR on the flight plan? There is probably not enough reserve fuel so they might use a closer airport on the flight plan and divert to LHR every time.

I suspect they do, they do not normally file destination alternates, they have an all engine diversion point.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Blerg

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:12 pm

What kind of service does Qantas offer on such a long flight? Is it any different from other long-haul routes?

Polot

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:22 pm

I question whether PER-LHR is actually QF’s most profitable flight, but some of you really need to learn the distinction between revenue and profit.

RJMAZ

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Polot wrote:
I question whether PER-LHR is actually QF’s most profitable flight, but some of you really need to learn the distinction between revenue and profit.

They could make PER-LHR double daily. That would have more revenue than a single A380.

lhrsfosyd

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:41 pm

Maybe second daily could work?

PER-LHR 2340-1000 +1
LHR-PER 2115-2100 +1

AECM

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:54 pm

lhrsfosyd wrote:

PER-LHR 2340-1000 +1
LHR-PER 2115-2100 +1

10h00 is a busy time at LHR and after such a long route holding patterns is not a good thing

Etheereal

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:25 pm

cam747 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I’m glad the route is working out well for them, and hopefully it continues, and leads to PER being a mini 787 hub over time. However I just want to put a couple of things into perspective:
  • Its still early days. It will be interesting to see what repeat bookings are like next year. I say this because I know two clients who have done the route, one in economy who has sworn never to do it again, and another in J who found it bearable, but would still prefer to go via SIN. I know its not a big sample size to make judgement though.

Not surprising, considering its ECONOMY for ULH.

FriscoHeavy

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:41 pm

This is great news for QF. Glad the flight is doing so well. To be the most profitable right off the bat is really saying something. Most routes don't turn a profit for many months. Congrats to QF -- I hope to see further development and success via Perth.
Whatever

Arion640

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:08 pm

AECM wrote:
lhrsfosyd wrote:

PER-LHR 2340-1000 +1
LHR-PER 2115-2100 +1

10h00 is a busy time at LHR and after such a long route holding patterns is not a good thing

Yes it is. At around 5am when QF9 comes in it’s usually one of the first, with dual runway landings.

WorldFlier

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Qf648 wrote:

And if you can't fill an A380...does it matter that its not a 380?

Qantas can either continue playing 2nd fiddle to Emirates, or they can use the 787 (and later the 777-8) as intended.

Landing a plane also costs money because a planes life can be cut short by cycles as well as hours.

Keith2004

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:39 pm

But I thought nobody wanted to be on a plane that long and most people preferred to stretch their legs on a connecting flight :lol: :lol:

skipness1E

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:46 pm

Arion640 wrote:
AECM wrote:
lhrsfosyd wrote:

PER-LHR 2340-1000 +1
LHR-PER 2115-2100 +1

Yes it is. At around 5am when QF9 comes in it’s usually one of the first, with dual runway landings.

Single runway ops til 6am

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:59 pm

TC957 wrote:

This speaks to one airport pair operated by one carrier. It does little to generalize the value of ULH flying.

Arion640

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:07 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
AECM wrote:

Single runway ops til 6am

I stand corrected

Redwood839

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:07 pm

I just checked the pricing for next week and it's actually quite ok. 301 quid for a non stop LHR-PER is all good on my books. I've done 14 hours in a A340 and it was okay, you kinda go nuts in the last 2 hours but it's not that bad.

16 hours in a 789 without a dry sinus? Sure.

airzona11

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:10 pm

This is a way to earn a premium in a very competitive market. It shows that people are willing to pay for time.

ElroyJetson

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:22 pm

TC957 wrote:

With a crappy A345 no question. With a 789 a very different story. :D
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100

XAM2175

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:40 pm

AsiaTravel wrote:
MEL wasn't the only city catchment, Dubai was, and all of its connection to the EK network. I flew QF9/10 countess of times and only did the whole journey twice, the other times I would fly to Dubai and then take an EK flight to a secondary city in Europe or flyLHR to DXB then onward to PER on EK.

The QF-EK JV is still in operation, even with QF9/10 currently standing apart from it due to EK's lack of traffic rights for UK-Aus not via DXB and QF1/2 returning to SIN. Passengers can still access the majority of the EK network on QF codes via DXB - it's just that they now won't fly on QF metal for the legs to and from DXB (and I do note with a few dummy bookings ex-Australia that the sales engine's default order lists the EK-operated flights after a large number of QF-BA combos via LHR)

RJMAZ wrote:
Does Qantas actually use LHR on the flight plan?

Not sure how they file it but LCA seemed to the Euro-end diversion destination of choice for the A388s out of DXB when they actually needed to do it.

Mini1000 wrote:
RJMAZ wrote:

Yes, and just to skip ahead, they ain't gonna fly non-stop to Malta either.

QF in Europe has always been a sticky one - the demand that drives UK-Australia doesn't really exist in the same way for other ports, which is what drove (on top of the other overheads involved in flying the 744s out of SIN and the overall profitability issues with QF International at the time) Rome, Paris, and Frankfurt to drop off the map, and even then LHR became a bloodbath against ME and Asian carriers.

Personally I still have my doubts about the PER-CDG rumours - I'm sure there'll be a level of customer interest in it but I can't quite see it stacking up financially, and I seem to recall the bilateral is still a bit tight (though if it capped seats the 789 will change that equation). I'd be thinking FRA first, but hey, QF know what tickets they're selling and what the costs will be like so I'm ready to be surprised!

lightsaber

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:44 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
TC957 wrote:

With a crappy A345 no question. With a 789 a very different story. :D

Being serious, ULH will always be replaced early.

Look at QF's 747SP, as soon as larger 747s were available, they flew secondary routes. The 789s will be configured once the RFP aircraft are delivered. How quickly, unless motivated by maintenance, will tell us relative ULH economics.

I'm excited by ULH doing well. There are only so many routes.

For QF: SYD-DFW/LHR/JFK. Perhaps with 789 economics a few more Pacific destinations?

For SQ:. SIN-LAX, SFO, and JFK

The reality is, only a few cities have enough premium traffic for ULH:. LHR, CDG, FRA, JFK, LAX, SFO, IAH, DFW, SYD, SIN, HKG. Select flights to JNB. I wish DL luck on ATL-DEL. DXB-FLL just confuses me despite me being a B6 fan.

If I missed a very high premium market, educate me.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.

JerseyFlyer

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:01 pm

I would like to know the percentage of pax that fly all the way MEL - PER - LHR.

As stated above they might as well transition via Dubai or HKG - is the same seat all the way the differentiator?

AsiaTravel

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:07 pm

JerseyFlyer wrote:
I would like to know the percentage of pax that fly all the way MEL - PER - LHR.

As stated above they might as well transition via Dubai or HKG - is the same seat all the way the differentiator?

26% in May, so should be around that.

VC10DC10

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:24 pm

winGl3t wrote:
RJMAZ wrote:

Sorry for being ignorant, but what drives high traffic volume between MEL and ATH?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos