factsonly
Topic Author

BA drops Tehran from 23 September 2018

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Following Air France and KLM's decisions to halt IKA flights per September 2018, now BA has decided to do the same as per 23 September 2018:

- LHR 21:10 - IKA 05:25 BA153 B772 Tue, Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun
- IKA 07:35 - LHR 11:25 BA154 B772 Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sun

This leaves IranAir as the sole carrier on:
- IKA - AMS
- IKA - CDG
- IKA - LHR

jetsetter629

Re: BA drops Tehran from 23 September 2018

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:47 pm

There are many parallels to air service to Iran and Cuba. European (Iran) and US (Cuba) airlines rushed to add service only to realize the demand is really not there and slowly begin withdrawing service...

LGAviation

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:08 pm

jetsetter629 wrote:
There are many parallels to air service to Iran and Cuba. European (Iran) and US (Cuba) airlines rushed to add service only to realize the demand is really not there and slowly begin withdrawing service...

I don't think the two are too comparable. European tourism to Iran was on the rise and were it not for the US restrictions on VWP usage post Iran visits, I think many more would visit.

Also, in some European countries like Germany and Sweden, there is quite a sizeable Persian/Iranian community that frequently travel back and forth.

With LH Group being the only remaining major EU carrier, I wouldn't be surprised if they increased frequency (up gauges on LH seem unlikely from the 744 and also on OS with their limited number of wide bodies). Iran Air can't grow given that their shortage of planes.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

factsonly
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:09 pm

This has more to do with a recent US foreign policy reversal and the return of economic sanctions on Iran.

This impacts any corporation doing business in the USA and Iran.

fltbumped

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:09 pm

jetsetter629 wrote:

this is demand related, but is more of a Sanction issue. As the result of the sanctions, Iranian currency has devalued and now there is less demand.
Also, US sanctions may also target violators such as BA, KLM ...

LISCGN

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:16 pm

jetsetter629 wrote:

The demand is there. I wouldn't be surprised if this were a downturn on Trump's mess in this affair. France is already pulling out all the automotive staff they sent over a couple of years ago.

amax1977

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Good for LH, TK, EK & QR!

maxfly

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:30 pm

Even LH seems to be reducing capacity to IKA - starting 03/31/19 the A333 will replace the B744 on the daily rotation from FRA.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-17aug18/

SCQ83

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:47 pm

BA should deploy that capacity in friendly, progressive and peaceful countries and cities in the region like TLV, JED or RUH.

alan3

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:51 pm

So, for areas with a large Persian community, in particular like Los Angeles...connecting through Europe is now much less of an option.

Does Iran Air have interline with carriers that fly into AMS, CDG and LHR?

If not, I assume hubs like IST or DXB are getting most Iran bound traffic now?

chunhimlai

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:51 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
BA should deploy that capacity in friendly, progressive and peaceful countries and cities in the region like TLV, JED or RUH.

With their best of the world buisiness class (First) and Premium Economy Class (Club World) product
Last edited by chunhimlai on Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

santi319

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:52 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Hahahaha I almost spit my coffee reading this.

neomax

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:56 pm

Unfortunate, but I hope to see it return one day.

seat24charlie

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:57 pm

santi319 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Yes, I was rather hoping it's satire as well.

Thibault973

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:59 pm

factsonly wrote:
Following Air France and KLM's decisions to halt IKA flights per September 2018, now BA has decided to do the same as per 23 September 2018:

This leaves IranAir as the sole carrier on:
- IKA - AMS
- IKA - CDG
- IKA - LHR

Actually Mahan Air also serves IKA-CDG. Apparently their LF averages in the lower 50's tho so we'll see how long this last, even though they just added a 5th weekly frequency.

texdravid

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Great news. Shows sanctions are working.
The west must continue to apply severe pressure to force the theocratic government to its knees and usher in the great Persian country that is modern and secular.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

GSP psgr

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:21 pm

I wonder where BA decides to use the spare capacity. ISB? CCU? STL? DMM?

SCQ83

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:23 pm

seat24charlie wrote:
santi319 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Yes, I was rather hoping it's satire as well.

Saudi economy is out of recession and Israeli economy is doing very well.

TLV, JED and RUH are in record high PAX numbers; with record of international visitors. So moving capacity to Israel or KSA could only make sense. Maybe BA could try LHR-DMM or LGW-ETM (VDA for the time being).

SelseyBill

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:24 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

.....good to see satire is alive and well on 'a-net'.......

Varsity1

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:36 pm

Loads were already poor.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

seat24charlie

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:40 pm

texdravid wrote:
The west must continue to apply severe pressure to force the theocratic government to its knees and usher in the great Persian country that is modern and secular.

The only people on their knees are the innocent people of Iran, who are now stockpiling food if they're lucky and starving on the streets if they're not.

That includes my own brothers and sisters so excuse me for taking personal f---ing offence at your nonsense.

SCQ83

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:52 pm

texdravid wrote:

Well said. However I don't understand why POTUS allows European carriers to operate to Iran. He should do the same as companies trying to sell products in Iran: block them from operating in the US. So if Lufthansa wanted to continue flying to Iran, they would be banned from flying to the US. Easy choice.

alan3

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:58 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Well said. However I don't understand why POTUS allows European carriers to operate to Iran. He should do the same as companies trying to sell products in Iran: block them from operating in the US. So if Lufthansa wanted to continue flying to Iran, they would be banned from flying to the US. Easy choice.

Are you joking again? Plenty of countries violate human rights and global security...everyone in the world now needs to ask US permission if they can fly there? The US has had sanctions on Cuba for decades and yet their closest ally Canada flies multiple daily flights on multiple airlines. I have an idea...why not just allow China and US to have final authority over all airlines in the world.

neomax

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:01 pm

texdravid wrote:

These kind of people are worse than animals.

readytotaxi

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:19 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
texdravid wrote:

"Well said. However I don't understand why POTUS allows European carriers to operate to Iran."

POTUS tells European carriers where they may fly?????????? Is it April 1st already?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

MaksFly

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Really dumbfounded at some of the comments here... Don't get me wrong, overall I approve of POTUS, BUT Iran is just a topic that lemmings like to support without have any freaking idea of what they are talking about, nevermind asking them to locate it on the map.
People are so caught up on villianizing a culture they will likely never meet or have contact with, so they just stop thinking about it... yet far more oppressive regimes are heralded as successes. The difference? One dictator buys Boeing/GE/Lockheed products, the other does not.

LMFNINJA

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:30 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

An ignorant barb about TLV. I wouldn't be surprised if you have never visited that city.

TheLion

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:43 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Certainly pressure is needed, but by ripping up the best deal in decades, a deal done while a more moderate leader is in charge, will only prove harmful in the long run; the ensuing economic troubles were seeing will likely lead to the hardliners coming back into power.

But POTUS “allow” carriers to operate to Iran? How naive and imperialist is your worldview. Seriously, like hello :banghead:

MaksFly wrote:
Really dumbfounded at some of the comments here... Don't get me wrong, overall I approve of POTUS, BUT Iran is just a topic that lemmings like to support without have any freaking idea of what they are talking about, nevermind asking them to locate it on the map.
People are so caught up on villianizing a culture they will likely never meet or have contact with, so they just stop thinking about it... yet far more oppressive regimes are heralded as successes. The difference? One dictator buys Boeing/GE/Lockheed products, the other does not.

Overall you approve of him? Jeez what’s the matter with you. Any sensible person can see the harm he causes across the board. Easily one of the worst leaders the US has ever had, and that’s saying something.

However I do agree with your last point about the perception of regimes related to aviation. It really does depend on who you’re in league with and who buys your products, with the aviation industry a key driver of decision making. And that's a truly sad state of affairs.

Indeed my own UK government embarrass so many of our people by selling arms and military aircraft to the evil Saudi regime. We should not be doing this, even if it means losing jobs in the short term.

seat24charlie

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:19 pm

kitplane01 wrote:
MaksFly wrote:

More accurately, Iran tries to build nuclear weapons and Saudi Arabia does not.

Yeah, they just fund and fuel Wahhabi terrorism and kill thousands in the process, real idols of peace and democracy

opticalilyushin

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:23 pm

I'm not sure what is more disturbing, the hatred some people have for Iran, whilst forgetting what we-the Western World did to their democracy decades ago, or the fact that they think Trump can and should dictate to the many democracies of Europe what and where their airlines can fly to..now who sounds like the dictator? I wouldn't wish hatred but where is your condemnation of the atrocities that your so-called allies are responsible for?

Back on topic, the BA loads have been pretty low, sometimes around 100 or so, I wonder if they would consider using one of their mid-haul A321s instead? Can they refuel in IKA now?

jumpjets

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:41 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
I wonder where BA decides to use the spare capacity. ISB? CCU? STL? DMM?

Maybe the Pittsburgh announcement was made in the knowledge that an aircraft was coming back into the pool to allow a reshuffling of capacity and the introduction of a new route.

workhorse

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:53 pm

texdravid wrote:

"The West" is a lot of people, a lot of whom do not share your government's warmongering agressive stance.

As for "the sanctions are working", what I can promise you is that me, as a citizen of a "Western" country, will vote for the most anti-US candidates at all upcoming elections. Despite the fact that I have family in the US and that I love the country. So the sanctions ARE working, yes, or at least, they do have effect.
Last edited by workhorse on Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stylo777

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:56 pm

I understand that this topic is challenging to discuss without touching politics, but let's try to remain on topic and focused on facts and figures...

A big issue is the inability to transfer funds outside of Iran. AFAIK airlines are trying to countersteer this by fully refueling their aircraft and selling tickets only from abroad (or at least by foreign credit card where possible). This sound to me like a situation similar to Venezuela when pretty much all EU/US majors left CCS. Nevertheless, those measures are only a drop on the hot stone.

LH together with OS have a long standing history in Tehran and TK is quite strong with optimal transfer opportunities to EU/NA via IST, O&D between IR and TR and actually the coverage of many destinations in IR. Their LAX flights basically life by Iranian customers visiting their homecountry (the other half of LAX flyers being TLV bound passengers - talking about "politics".....). With AF/KL and now BA closing shops, it might steer some passengers to above mentioned 3 carriers; however, this is still limited by the fact that nowadays Iranians have a hard time affording trips abroad at all. With LH even downgauging to 333 there are effectively more than 110 seats less on daily basis on the market and who knows what OS will decide since they operate twice daily, both on 320. They already moved out of IFN and SYZ.

In overall it remains a big, big challenge and it's extremely sad to see and follow such negative developments.

williaminsd

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:43 pm

seat24charlie wrote:
texdravid wrote:

The only people on their knees are the innocent people of Iran, who are now stockpiling food if they're lucky and starving on the streets if they're not.

That includes my own brothers and sisters so excuse me for taking personal f---ing offence at your nonsense.

Sorry about your brothers and sisters, but this is the absolute truth. Glad to see Europe join America with strong sanctions to prevent the world's leading terrorist state from exporting further misery throughout the world.

andrewying

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:02 am

POTUS has the right to negotiate a deal, but deal has to be approved by the Congress first. Obama negotiated a deal which US didn’t approve at all. There was never a treaty with Iran.

Armodeen

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:13 am

SCQ83 wrote:

I see what you did there :lol: :lol: :lol:

lhrsfosyd

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:14 am

If humanity is to progress, certain mindsets must be eradicated using peaceful methods, one of which are economic sanctions.

Iran is not compatible with the Western world and ideas of equality seem abstract to its citizens regardless of the social ladder. I hope the US will impose similar sanctions on other similarly progressive nations in the region.

eamondzhang

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:00 am

lhrsfosyd wrote:
If humanity is to progress, certain mindsets must be eradicated using peaceful methods, one of which are economic sanctions.

Iran is not compatible with the Western world and ideas of equality seem abstract to its citizens regardless of the social ladder. I hope the US will impose similar sanctions on other similarly progressive nations in the region.

Unfortunately USA will never do that and we can all call it a double standard.

Using the USA logic the whole ME region should be sanctioned years ago. Yet the USA didn't. So you know the rest of the story.

I just couldn't care to reply to those idiots in this thread.

Back to topic, sad to see another route gone from IKA.

Michael

jodieellis

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:10 am

Because the Iran Sanctions has occurred probably.

LAX772LR

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:13 am

LGAviation wrote:
jetsetter629 wrote:

I don't think the two are too comparable. European tourism to Iran was on the rise and were it not for the US restrictions on VWP usage post Iran visits, I think many more would visit.

And yet, you just described exactly what happened with Cuba:
Tourism sharply on the rise, impending expectation of relaxed/renewed relations and even the potential dropping of sanctions and restrictions on travel...

...then a different government takes over, rips the above to shreds, and the moronic requirements for travel remain in place. Of course the airlines are over-capacity with that.

That said, I will say that expectations were perhaps unrealistic by the public. Some people were seriously under the impression that post-2016 there'd be such unbridled restoration of activities between the USA and Cuba that there would be a travel-rush to the area by tourists wishing to see it as it is, before there was a McD's or Starbucks on every corner.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

JayBCNLON

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:14 am

andrewying wrote:
POTUS has the right to negotiate a deal, but deal has to be approved by the Congress first. Obama negotiated a deal which US didn’t approve at all. There was never a treaty with Iran.

Of course there was and even is a treaty. Just because the US has weird legislation it doesn’t mean that the remaining 5 countries and entities do not have a signed treaty.

JayBCNLON

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:18 am

kitplane01 wrote:

More accurately, Iran tries to build nuclear weapons and Saudi Arabia does not.

One country already has built a nuclear weapon in the region. Does that make it a „bad“?

Kiwirob

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:46 am

SCQ83 wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Are you joking, if the US blocked LH or any other EU carrier you can bet on it that the EU would block US carriers, it would be tit for tat, everyone loses.

The US is messing up big time at the moment.

Kiwirob

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:48 am

lhrsfosyd wrote:

Why should all countries become westernised? What gives us the right to push our agenda and way of life onto them?

globetrotter94

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:58 am

amax1977 wrote:
Good for LH, TK, EK & QR!

Yes, and on that subject, any of them hiking frequencies?
6E, 9W, AF, AI, B6, BA, BI, BR, CA, DN, GA, IC, JL, KL, KU, NH, QR, SQ, TG, TK*, UA, VS

cougar15

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:09 am

jetsetter629 wrote:

How about the big picture? European holiday makers have been enjoying cheap Cuba Holidays for decades, even with the US embargo in place! Nobody gave a stuff, including Canada and everybody flew/flies there.
Iran, sadly is a whole different kettle of fish (and here I go getting all political) thanks to Dumf - I was hoping the EU would be more stringent on this (including to lost Brexit souls) , but I guess that will not be the case. Sad for BA.... high revenue flights that will be no more......
some you lose, others you can´t win!

kitplane01

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:17 am

Kiwirob wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Are you joking, if the US blocked LH or any other EU carrier you can bet on it that the EU would block US carriers, it would be tit for tat, everyone loses.

The US is messing up big time at the moment.

I understood that if some company does business in Iran, it is blocked from the US market. In particular, if Lufthansa does business in Iran, they cannot do business in the US. We're not telling Lufthansa what it has to do; we're telling it what it has to do if it wants to be in the US market. (I concede that's a small distinction.)

kitplane01

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:32 am

Kiwirob wrote:
lhrsfosyd wrote:

Why should all countries become westernised? What gives us the right to push our agenda and way of life onto them?

He didn't say they had to be westernized. He implied they had to be compatible with the western world. If he means don't fund terrorists, that's not such an unreasonable requirement. If he means they must allow women to have the same jobs, at the same pay as men, that's not totally evil. If he means they must have a McDonalds on every street ...

lhrsfosyd

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:54 am

Iran represents the worst humanity has to offer - inequality, injustice, corruption, violence, lack of personal freedom. Iran does not contribute anything positive to the world.

And yes, countries like Iran should aspire to follow Western values of equality and freedom, birthright of every human being, in order for humanity to progress.

Might come as a surprise but peace, stability and happiness thrive in secular nations.

londonistan

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:16 am

And to think I was accused recently of going off topic on a recent thread about PanAm 707s. Irrelevant, somebody said. Many more irrelevancies here, may I suggest. The topic is airlines Not Going To Iran - not pot shots at USA, Iran and anybody else you can think of...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos