Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aaflyer777

Re: Alaska Airlines to announce new markets soon

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:15 pm

I would think SJC-BOS has a decent shot, plenty of traffic to the bay area from BOS and competition is limited to B6

tphuang

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:32 pm

I think AS will do the only thing that makes sense here which is to continue adding to SEA. They said that SEA allocates gate space based on ASM, so the only way to keep DL out of more gate access is put all the resources in SEA. That's essentially what B6 is doing at BOS, although to a smaller degree. And that seems like what they are doing based on OAG threads the last few weeks. There isn't going to be anything fancy. Just continued expansion of SEA hub and adding PAE service to keep AS the most relevant carrier in Seattle.

At some point, we will have a recession and DL will have to scale back its empire building ambition and AS will have more breathing room.

csweet

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:01 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Passedv1 wrote:
Yes...new market announcements coming soon. No doubt.

SEA-CLT and SFO-CLT is my guess.

It's not CLT.

Why is it not CLT?

Ziyulu

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:05 pm

How about flights to PEK, PVG, NRT, ICN, or TPE?

SyracuseAvGeek

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:11 pm

Buffalo please!
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

enilria

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:18 pm

axiom wrote:
enilria wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
Well, their SFO experiment epically failed.

I think they need to add at least 3 SFO markets to change the impression the focus City there is in trouble. I doubt they will do that. 2 or less I think.

What would they even add? They've tried the obvious midcon routes. Long and thin transcons? Great niche, I'm sure...

I think they will add something because they can't possibly be ready to throw in the towel yet, so more likely they will throw a bone with 1 or maybe two new routes. I think less than 3 is just perfuming the pig and is born out of desperation to find something that will work.

jbs2886

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:35 pm

csweet wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Passedv1 wrote:

It's not CLT.

Why is it not CLT?

EA CO AS has more information than we do, so if he says its not CLT...its not, whether you like it or not.

evank516

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:43 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
Not in this announcement.. But in the future, does anyone else see Alaska going into the smaller airports like KISP, KPVD, KBDL, KSWF, KBTV, etc?

BDL MAYBE, all of the others, no.

Flaps

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:48 pm

I would like to see LAX-PIT and or SAN-PIT but my crack pipe is currently empty.

NameOmitted

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:52 pm

Dillingham, Cold Bay, Sand Point, Saint George, Saint Paul and Dutch? There's a group rate for all of them right now, with additional flights into King Salmon as a bonus...

...edit to add, is there anything in the.QX contracts that world prevent.ALK from owning and operating another regional?
Last edited by NameOmitted on Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

holeham

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:58 pm

any chance that they go to 2x a day SEA-TPA?

NameOmitted

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:01 pm

Kidding aside, ANC-MSP world be fantastic. Well, for me at least. I doubt it world make sense as both Delta and Sun County already fly it.

Of course, Delta uses the 757 which, as we all know, has magical powers to make things work that no other aircraft can possibly match, so there is that...

KLMatSJC

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:04 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
What's left intra-California? Return of OAK-SNA?

OAK-SAN/SNA/LAX/BUR. OAK is the fourth largest airport in the state and they barely touch it, with zero intrastate service. They’re spending a lot of money on advertising in the east bay, including Oakland-specific advertising, but making no attempt to leverage that with any service. They’re clearly flailing at SFO; at some point their darts on a wall strategy has to land on trying new OAK service.

It's actually now the fifth largest. SJC passed it in monthly passengers in November, and last month in yearly passengers.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

csweet

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:11 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
csweet wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

It's not CLT.

Why is it not CLT?

EA CO AS has more information than we do, so if he says its not CLT...its not, whether you like it or not.

thank you for the clarification
Last edited by csweet on Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

axiom

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:43 pm

holeham wrote:

SEA-TPA goes double daily over the winter holiday period -- that's something. The route is bursting at the seams at 1/daily. May be the route with the highest load factor in the AS system, or up there, to be sure.

BoeingGuy

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:43 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
csweet wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

It's not CLT.

Why is it not CLT?

Someone posted this in another thread recently too. They said AS looked at CLT and decided against it.

MDGLongBeach

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:44 pm

New markets you say? Maybe sight seeing and acrobatic flights in their proven and suitable q400s? that should be interesting :P

(I’m sorry lol)

aaway

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:06 pm

Fairbanks was a recipient in the most recent round of SCASD grants for the development of a route to either LAX or PHX. I'd assumed that AA was a likely sponsor of the application. Perhaps this has the markings of AS participation instead. (Edit: In reviewing the application, SFO also gets a mention, but the application air carrier support letter was submitted by UA.)
Last edited by aaway on Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

AirFiero

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:11 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
csweet wrote:

Why is it not CLT?

Someone posted this in another thread recently too. They said AS looked at CLT and decided against it.

(Not directed at you, Boeing)

Why would AS fly those two routes? AA already flies the crap out of those routes, and AS passengers wouldn’t be able to get AAdvantage miles. They’d be competing directly against their “partner”. Now, if it was a route that AA DIDNT fly to CLT, maybe.

FA9295

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:14 pm

holeham wrote:

It'll go 2x daily in the winter months.

TWA302

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:14 pm

I really wish they would re-start STL-PDX. Those flights, from the LF numbers I have seen were in the the Low/Mid 90's!

BenflysDTW

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:20 pm

PDX-RDU also seems like a good candidate, DL stated earlier that they weren’t interested in that route and instead said that they would put more frequencies on SLC/SEA.

spinotter

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:24 pm

klm617 wrote:
SEA-GRR I could see.

Really? How about SEA-CIU. SEA-IMT, or SEA-CMX?

N592NW

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:46 pm

SEA to GRR is too far for an e-jet and doesn’t have enough demand for anything bigger. I predict DSM on an e-jet will be announced.

SFOtoORD

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:54 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
VX was profitable a couple of quarters during the most profitable time in aviation history. Yet they were unprofitable for several years while every other carrier was printing a billion dollars a quarter.

Good thing AS always has an excuse for their $2B purchase.

Funny how none of those reasons are anything other than "excuses" to VX fanboys who still can't get over their loss. Of course, had these supposedly loyal VX customers paid a few bucks more each time they flew them, they may have remained independent.

Oh well... :duck:

Pretty sad that Team AS best argument is casting aspersions at the airline they bought and it’s customers. Perhaps that explains the initial struggles at SFO.

EA CO AS

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:58 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
csweet wrote:

Why is it not CLT?

Let me elaborate; I cannot state definitively, with 100% certainty, that it’s not CLT. What I should have said is that while I do not have the final list of new markets yet, what I do know is AS continues to look at CLT often and based on a number of factors, continues to say “pass,” and that was in a far better fuel and revenue environment. With both markedly worse than anytime in the past 3-5 years, if AS didn’t lainch CLT back then, they won’t anytime soon.

Of course our planning people could always turn that on its head and announce dailies to CLT from SEA, SFO, and PDX, but it’s just really, really unlikely.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ucdtim17

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:01 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
What's left intra-California? Return of OAK-SNA?

OAK-SAN/SNA/LAX/BUR. OAK is the fourth largest airport in the state and they barely touch it, with zero intrastate service. They’re spending a lot of money on advertising in the east bay, including Oakland-specific advertising, but making no attempt to leverage that with any service. They’re clearly flailing at SFO; at some point their darts on a wall strategy has to land on trying new OAK service.

It's actually now the fifth largest. SJC passed it in monthly passengers in November, and last month in yearly passengers.

I missed that news. I thought OAK had a more comfortable lead, but guess not.

Either way, even if they have zero interest in ex-OAK business, OAK is still one of the largest markets for those southern California airports (#1 BUR, #8 SNA, #10 SAN; not top 10 at LAX but 613k annual passengers). How compelling is your SAN "focus city" supposed to be if your offer against ~hourly WN 737 service SAN-OAK is 0.00 flights?

AirFiero

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:43 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

Either way, even if they have zero interest in ex-OAK business, OAK is still one of the largest markets for those southern California airports (#1 BUR, #8 SNA, #10 SAN; not top 10 at LAX but 613k annual passengers). How compelling is your SAN "focus city" supposed to be if your offer against ~hourly WN 737 service SAN-OAK is 0.00 flights?

Perhaps you answered your own question. Why would AS jump into a route with existing hourly flights on a competitor like WN?

dbo861

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:49 pm

N592NW wrote:
SEA to GRR is too far for an e-jet and doesn’t have enough demand for anything bigger. I predict DSM on an e-jet will be announced.

SEA-GRR is only 35nm farther than SFO-MSN and United is able to operate EJets on that route. I’m not sure how much 35nm matters(not even 10 minutes flying time), but if United makes MSN work, I don’t see why GRR would be an issue.

joeljack

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:05 pm

dbo861 wrote:
N592NW wrote:

SEA-GRR is only 35nm farther than SFO-MSN and United is able to operate EJets on that route. I’m not sure how much 35nm matters(not even 10 minutes flying time), but if United makes MSN work, I don’t see why GRR would be an issue.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SEA-GRR,+SEA-MSN

185 miles further, not 35 miles.

dbo861

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:12 pm

joeljack wrote:
dbo861 wrote:
N592NW wrote:

United operate SFO-MSN with ejets, which is 1772nm according to gcmap.com. SEA-GRR is 1807nm, only 35nm farther.

ucdtim17

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:19 pm

AirFiero wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:

Perhaps you answered your own question. Why would AS jump into a route with existing hourly flights on a competitor like WN?

Well what's the point of trying anything? They're on lots of routes with heavy competition. Perhaps it is indeed the case that through the years OAK is always in the exact sweet spot of being a large enough market to attract heavy service from WN, but not large enough to entice AS to offer service. AS is happy to run loss leading planes on other routes to try to expand network connectivity and make inroads against WN, but not here. Through recession and boom, the exact appropriate level of service at OAK is always 4x mainline to SEA, 3x QX to PDX and the assorted Hawaii routes.

(Although it should be noted these rules only apply in the past decade. Prior to that, before they were trying to be California's airline or #mostwestcoast, they had up to 6x mainline on PDX-OAK. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

joeljack

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:55 pm

dbo861 wrote:
joeljack wrote:
dbo861 wrote:

United operate SFO-MSN with ejets, which is 1772nm according to gcmap.com. SEA-GRR is 1807nm, only 35nm farther.

Sorry, I misread! My bad. :)

AirFiero

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:32 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
Well what's the point of trying anything? They're on lots of routes with heavy competition. )

That comment was a bit hyperbolic. I made a clear point that starting new service in the face of existing hourly service would be really difficult. Aren’t there better battles for AS to fight? And OAK is one of WNs biggest stations. Additionally, I think it was tphuang, our resident stat guru, who said that yields intra-California are not good. Why get into a battle like that?

psa1011

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:20 pm

I also think AS could start more service from OAK with e-jets: OAK-FAT/SBA/PSP etc.

allegiantflyer

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:35 pm

PHX-Cali is a huge hole in the network. Arizona is literally right next to California, which is their area of concentration as of late and we haven't seen any new markets. PHX-SFO was operated for 30 days in 2018 but we haven't heard anything about it being resumed either full time or for another month this season. Huge let down.

alasizon

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:59 pm

allegiantflyer wrote:
PHX-Cali is a huge hole in the network. Arizona is literally right next to California, which is their area of concentration as of late and we haven't seen any new markets. PHX-SFO was operated for 30 days in 2018 but we haven't heard anything about it being resumed either full time or for another month this season. Huge let down.

PHX-California is super competitive between AA & WN. AS is also gate space limited in PHX at the moment so at best they could add 1-2 flights a day to SJC/SFO and maybe SAN but beyond that; its already tapped out pretty well.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

ucdtim17

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:07 pm

AirFiero wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
Well what's the point of trying anything? They're on lots of routes with heavy competition. )

That comment was a bit hyperbolic. I made a clear point that starting new service in the face of existing hourly service would be really difficult. Aren’t there better battles for AS to fight? And OAK is one of WNs biggest stations. Additionally, I think it was tphuang, our resident stat guru, who said that yields intra-California are not good. Why get into a battle like that?

The reason it has hourly service is it's a very large market, with only one operator. It's just in this odd no man's land - not as large (or competitive) as SFO-LAX, yet far larger than most of the other markets they've opened in the past few years.

I'm sure it's the case that they look at their intra-CA numbers on other routes, figure in response from WN at OAK and decide it'd be even worse there. It just seems like an odd equilibrium to land and stay on, even as they make a big advertising push in the area and keep failing on other routes.

SLCUT2777

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 pm

klm617 wrote:
SEA-GRR I could see.

This will NEVER work if SEA-IND couldn't
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

AirFiero

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 pm

psa1011 wrote:
I also think AS could start more service from OAK with e-jets: OAK-FAT/SBA/PSP etc.

I have been wondering about the viability of a middle of California “hub”, including a concentration of flights from smaller markets to the north and south. I’m not sure AS would do that, though. They have several p2p routes such as MRY-SAN on ejets. Airlines seem to be getting away from flights like the ones you listed above and are using ejets to go directly to hubs, focus cities or other routes where a smaller jet can potentially be profitable. Would routes like OAK-FAT/SBA/PSP be viable?

phxa340

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:36 pm

alasizon wrote:
allegiantflyer wrote:

PHX-California is super competitive between AA & WN. AS is also gate space limited in PHX at the moment so at best they could add 1-2 flights a day to SJC/SFO and maybe SAN but beyond that; its already tapped out pretty well.

It’s actually not that competitive IMO. LAX-PHX maybe yes. But fares SAN/SFO/SJC are usually 200+ minimum for a relatively short flight, AA/WN prints money on the PHX-Cali flights, AS could too.

tphuang

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:37 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

The reason it has hourly service is it's a very large market, with only one operator. It's just in this odd no man's land - not as large (or competitive) as SFO-LAX, yet far larger than most of the other markets they've opened in the past few years.

I'm sure it's the case that they look at their intra-CA numbers on other routes, figure in response from WN at OAK and decide it'd be even worse there. It just seems like an odd equilibrium to land and stay on, even as they make a big advertising push in the area and keep failing on other routes.

It will be interesting to check out the numbers of oak pdx and oak sea later this year. Or even sjc pdx. Wn has added a lot of capacity there. If they don’t suffer much yield drop there, it will be a really bad sign from as.

And the big hit for as will be when wn enters Hawaii.

AirFiero

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:40 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

There is similar service on routes like SJC-LAX, with various airlines that have jumped in and out on more than one occasion. Either AA or UA recently dropped that route. VX flew it for about a year, then dropped it. AS could give it a shot, but AGAIN, starting off against hourly service is quite a hill to climb.

For reference, Number of flights on a Monday on WN to LAX
OAK 14
SJC 11
SFO 10

crescent

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:47 pm

To be fair, AS walked into WN hourly service with SAN-SJC and SAN-SMF and SJC-SNA, so yeah they could do OAK-SAN too.

OAK for whatever reason is just not a favorable yield city- B6 evacuated what was once a big-time schedule there long ago; Level has quickly moved its BCN flight to SFO from OAK; DL comes close to not bothering (no flights to SEA or LAX or MSP)

zackary747

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:00 pm

SLCUT2777 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
SEA-GRR I could see.

Umm, SEA-IND is still an active route and is working extremely well......

Could GRR work? Not with a 737 that's for sure.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinkfroot

Travels (2020): ATL-IND (DL)

FA9295

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:01 pm

zackary747 wrote:
SLCUT2777 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
SEA-GRR I could see.

Umm, SEA-IND is still an active route and is working quite well......

I think MSN would be considered before GRR...

zackary747

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:35 pm

FA9295 wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
SLCUT2777 wrote:

Umm, SEA-IND is still an active route and is working quite well......

I think MSN would be considered before GRR...

I have to agree with that. MSN is also in range for the E175 while I believe GRR is just outside of that range. MSN seems to be the stronger candidate for SEA as well.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinkfroot

Travels (2020): ATL-IND (DL)

ASFlyer

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:04 pm

Passedv1 wrote:

In answer to an employee question on the internal webpage, they confirmed it would not be CLT but they were not yet ready to announce whatever new city they were looking at.

Balloonchaser

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:31 pm

What about Alaska Air in the Caribbean?

Overthecascades

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:37 pm

Probably more instate routes in California.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos