Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bfitzflyer

Re: Alaska Airlines to announce new markets soon

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:54 pm

So AS spent a ton of money to end up exactly where they started. Now this financially may actually be a good thing, but feels like they are boxed back in at SEA at the end of the day. Feels a lot like AA mergers with Reno Air and TWA in some ways. Almost nothing left from the acquired airline.

32andBelow

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:55 pm

bfitzflyer wrote:
So AS spent a ton of money to end up exactly where they started. Now this financially may actually be a good thing, but feels like they are boxed back in at SEA at the end of the day. Feels a lot like AA mergers with Reno Air and TWA in some ways. Almost nothing left from the acquired airline.

Do they have 100 a320s parked? Because that is basically what you are implying

bfitzflyer

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:05 am

32andBelow wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:

Do they have 100 a320s parked? Because that is basically what you are implying
Only 1 year in, I can see that happening as they are all leased.

KICT

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:07 am

All signs point to AS offloading the Airbus fleet. That's all I'm going to say.
The MELs are stacking up...
Last edited by KICT on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
People are saying. Believe me.

klm617

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:09 am

spinotter wrote:
klm617 wrote:
SEA-GRR I could see.

Really? How about SEA-CIU. SEA-IMT, or SEA-CMX?

I think SEA-TVC, SEA-APN and SEA-PLN would come first don't you ?
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:13 am

joeljack wrote:
dbo861 wrote:
N592NW wrote:
SEA to GRR is too far for an e-jet and doesn’t have enough demand for anything bigger. I predict DSM on an e-jet will be announced.

SEA-GRR is only 35nm farther than SFO-MSN and United is able to operate EJets on that route. I’m not sure how much 35nm matters(not even 10 minutes flying time), but if United makes MSN work, I don’t see why GRR would be an issue.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SEA-GRR,+SEA-MSN

185 miles further, not 35 miles.

You are comparing SEA-MSN to SEA-GRR not SFO-MSN to SEA-GRR.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

gregn21

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:39 am

LAS focus city / hub- They would basically need to add 5-7 of the following while up gauging service to current hubs:

ORD
JFK
BOS
DTW
MSP
DAL
AUS
IAH
SNA
IAD
SLC
DEN
OAK
HNL
OGG
FLL
MCO

Fits the "best in the west" model, works better for flying 737's to the east coast, huge leisure market and fast growing population, plenty of room for gate expansion, routes like ORD, DTW, Texas doable with E175s, not much competition at LAS (a 50 million pax airport) other than WN

**This will literally never happen**

jplatts

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:55 am

gregn21 wrote:
LAS focus city / hub- They would basically need to add 5-7 of the following while up gauging service to current hubs:

DAL

Fits the "best in the west" model, works better for flying 737's to the east coast, huge leisure market and fast growing population, plenty of room for gate expansion, routes like ORD, DTW, Texas doable with E175s, not much competition at LAS (a 50 million pax airport) other than WN

**This will literally never happen**

VX dropped DAL-LAS nonstop service after the acquisition of VX by AS, and AS currently has no plans on bringing back DAL-LAS nonstop service. WN also serves LAS nonstop from many markets that aren't served by AS.

jplatts

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:07 am

VX considered adding service to ATL and Houston prior to the VX-AS merger, but neither AS or VX have added SFO-ATL, LAX-ATL, SFO-IAH, or LAX-IAH nonstop service.

Here is the link to one of the articles that stated that VX was considering serving ATL and Houston: https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/reports/virgin-america-targets-us-airways-with-launch-of-philadelphia-service-in-april-66235.

Houston is served by HOU in addition to IAH, and AA and DL also serve both IAH and HOU in Houston. The articles didn't mention which Houston airport VX would have added service to if it started service out of HOU, but I think that VX would probably have started service out of IAH if it had added service to Houston.

While VX starting service out of HOU might have been a possibility prior to the VX-AS merger, AS is unlikely to start service out of HOU since AS already serves IAH in Greater Houston.

AS still has opportunities to add ATL-LAX, ATL-SFO, IAH-LAX, and IAH-SFO nonstop service, even though VX is no longer around. Will AS add ATL-LAX, ATL-SFO, IAH-LAX, or IAH-SFO nonstop service?

alasizon

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:14 am

Balloonchaser wrote:
What about Alaska Air in the Caribbean?

Via where? Not enough traffic, nor the legs to make it from SEA. LAX is already competitive and thin.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

cvgComair

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:25 am

Yossarian22 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:
SEA-JAC is still the only domestic SEA market Delta flies that AS does not.

DL also serves its CVG focus city nonstop from SEA, and AS doesn't currently serve CVG. Both DL and AS also already have nonstop service from SEA to DL's LAX, SLC, MSP, DTW, JFK, and ATL hubs and DL's BOS and RDU focus cities.

AS could add SEA-CVG nonstop service in order to better compete against DL in the SEA market. CVG also used to have 3 daily nonstops out of SEA on DL 10 years ago, but DL currently only has 1 daily nonstop to CVG from SEA.

Given that DL, which would have connections at both ends, doesn’t fly SEA>CVG year round, it seems like it would be a challenge for Alaskan to step in and make it work with connections and loyalty only in SEA.

That is DL's own doing, it is not because of a lack of demand. They have no competition on the route so they were charging ungodly fares in order to skim off the premium traffic, so the PDEW has been quite suppressed. F9 was going to launch service, but DL announced year round service within a matter of days, F9 pulled out, then DL went back to seasonal. They have since lowered fares a bit, so now it is year-round except for 6 weeks in Jan/Feb. However, there is definitely still some more growth that could come on the route.

scoping2008

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:00 am

bfitzflyer wrote:

What are you talking about? You speak as if they've closed up shop in California.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:05 am

I don't think LAS makes much sense. The legacies run large planes to their hubs. Allegiant flys to the smaller cities. WN pretty much flies everywhere there is heavy volume. Spirit and Frontier cleans up everything else. There is no real opportunities in LAS for domestic traffic. AS would just be competing in a very crowded very say of week variable market. I dont think it makes too much sense for them.

FA9295

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:15 am

scoping2008 wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:

What are you talking about? You speak as if they've closed up shop in California.

Some people would argue that they have indeed closed up shop in California (SFO). Not that I agree with them or anything, but fanboys will be fanboys I guess...

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:27 am

This announcement should provide some clarity on what direction AS wants to go in:
1.Focus on SEA put all resources and defend the main hub
2.Expand PDX
3.Focus on the CA focus cities
4.add a new focus city
5. Go Frontier style and just fly a bunch of random routes they see underserved (lets hope they don't)

AS is going to have alot of slack this announcement should be pretty large and hopefully will indicate what direction they want to go. I will be excited as i really can't see what they want to do right now.

gunsontheroof

Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:29 am

flyguy84 wrote:
Well, their SFO experiment epically failed.

Or, they cut the fat from a failing airline after acquiring it.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

ericm2031

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:08 am

psa1011 wrote:
I also think AS could start more service from OAK with e-jets: OAK-FAT/SBA/PSP etc.

SJC would make more sense with the focus city there. Would probably capture a lot of existing traffic UA has going to SFO as those travelers are at the mercy of SFO ATC delays and UA commands a pretty high price on those routes.

GSP psgr

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:22 am

My guesses: SEA-CLT/CLE/YYZ, resume PDX-DTW/DEN, SFO-ANC/IAH/CLT(somewhere UA is too timid to go)

FA9295

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:33 am

GSP psgr wrote:
My guesses: SEA-CLT/CLE/YYZ, resume PDX-DTW/DEN, SFO-ANC/IAH/CLT(somewhere UA is too timid to go)

They just got rid of PDX-DTW, I doubt that they would add it back so quickly. Also, SEA-CLT has been debunked several times on this thread.

FA9295

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:49 am

My guesses for SEA and PDX: (obviously I don't think that these would be announced all at once, but overtime, this is where I see any new route additions going for AS)

SEA:
SEA-ELP (1x daily, E175)
SEA-MSN (1x daily, E175)
SEA-TUL (1x daily, E175)
SEA-DSM (1x daily, E175)
SEA-JAC (1x daily, E175)
SEA-BTM (1x daily, Q400)

PDX:
PDX-SAT (1x daily, E175)
PDX-DEN (3x daily, E175)
PDX-SBP (1x daily, E175)
PDX-GTF (1x daily, Q400)

I'm not really sure about the California hubs/focus cities. With the ongoing turf war with Southwest, it's anybody's guess at who will add what next, in my opinion...

Also, I can't see any new trans-con routes from PDX until Alaska can figure out a way to make their current seasonal routes work year-round. (such as ATL, BWI and PHL).

ERJ170

Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:03 pm

Okay... just to jump on the “what if” but unlikely announcement... I’m gonna say AS will include 1 daily RDU-SAN/PDX (and take the including incentives being offered by RDU and SAN.. and add another almost daily (5x weekly) to SEA to put the jump on DL who plans to add a 2nd daily...

Thoughts? Go.....
Aiming High and going far..

hiflyeras

Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:33 pm

I'm guessing BZE....3x weekly from SFO and 4x from LAX.

NameOmitted

Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:21 pm

I've read a few times that AS is able to have slack in the system. Does this slack account for the renovation of the Airbus fleet?

2 ancillary questions, how rapidly does SeatGuru tend to update aircraft maps, and who owns the seats that.AS is about to put into leased aircraft?

jbs2886

Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:25 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Okay... just to jump on the “what if” but unlikely announcement... I’m gonna say AS will include 1 daily RDU-SAN/PDX (and take the including incentives being offered by RDU and SAN.. and add another almost daily (5x weekly) to SEA to put the jump on DL who plans to add a 2nd daily...

Thoughts? Go.....

Source for DL adding 2nd daily SEA-RDU?

SANFan

Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:28 pm

Interesting to see all these wish-lists from pretty much every city in the country. Not unusual. I've got my wish-list for SAN of course and won't bother mentioning it here.

The surprising thing that hasn't gotten much mention in this thread is the low-growth predictions by Andrew at the last earnings call. (He mentioned ~2% growth for 2018 and the same for 2019.) That indicates to me not a lot of new routes or flights coming anytime soon. It looks like AS is still very involved in figuring out the aftermath of the Virgin takeover.

Also, this thread is based on a tweet from some unknown person at AS so, for several reasons, I'm not too excited or hopeful that there will be much happening. (I hope I'm wrong.)

bb

Midwestindy
Topic Author

Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:32 pm

SANFan wrote:
Interesting to see all these wish-lists from pretty much every city in the country. Not unusual. I've got my wish-list for SAN of course and won't bother mentioning it here.

The surprising thing that hasn't gotten much mention in this thread is the low-growth predictions by Andrew at the last earnings call. (He mentioned ~2% growth for 2018 and the same for 2019.) That indicates to me not a lot of new routes or flights coming anytime soon. It looks like AS is still very involved in figuring out the aftermath of the Virgin takeover.

Also, this thread is based on a tweet from some unknown person at AS so, for several reasons, I'm not too excited or hopeful that there will be much happening. (I hope I'm wrong.)

bb

1. It's already been confirmed by multiple other people that AS is planning on announcing new routes soon.
2. They have cut over a dozen routes recently, so their margin for growth is higher than 2%
ORD & IND

AA & DL

FATFlyer

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
1. It's already been confirmed by multiple other people that AS is planning on announcing new routes soon.
2. They have cut over a dozen routes recently, so their margin for growth is higher than 2%

That is what I posted from the conference call announcement in reply #85.

Although the growth guidance for 2019 is 2%, AS said in the conference call last month that they would be adjusting the route system and reallocating capacity. Probably some routes will be cut and some will see frequency reductions. That will result in opportunity for more new routes.

AS also said they will focusing on west coast originating passengers. Most new routes will be based on the demand for a destination from the current west coast cities. My guess is they will also be looking to defend west coast market share.

There have been rumors of some new Hawaii routes for the last year or two. Supposedly 2X or 3X per week from some of the smaller west coast cities. At FAT, ground level boarding gates 6/8 have been used by Alaska branded flights. Currently gate 8 is being redesigned to handle up to a 737 with a hold room remodel and the addition of a jetway. It may not happen but I would also not be surprised to see FAT-Hawaii flights on AS.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

jplatts

Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:12 pm

GSP psgr wrote:

Of the routes that you listed, I agree that AS could add at least SEA-CLE, PDX-DEN, SFO-ANC, and SFO-IAH nonstop service. VX had also previously considered adding SFO to Houston nonstop service prior to the VX-AS merger.

flyfresno

Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:18 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

That is what I posted from the conference call announcement in reply #85.

Although the growth guidance for 2019 is 2%, AS said in the conference call last month that they would be adjusting the route system and reallocating capacity. Probably some routes will be cut and some will see frequency reductions. That will result in opportunity for more new routes.

AS also said they will focusing on west coast originating passengers. Most new routes will be based on the demand for a destination from the current west coast cities. My guess is they will also be looking to defend west coast market share.

There have been rumors of some new Hawaii routes for the last year or two. Supposedly 2X or 3X per week from some of the smaller west coast cities. At FAT, ground level boarding gates 6/8 have been used by Alaska branded flights. Currently gate 8 is being redesigned to handle up to a 737 with a hold room remodel and the addition of a jetway. It may not happen but I would also not be surprised to see FAT-Hawaii flights on AS.

Does AS have any code-share agreements interisland? I would think they would need to offer OGG connections at the very least to make smaller markets work, although 2X per week to HNL with timed connections in SEA/PDX/SAN would probably be good in the high season.

jed747

Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:26 pm

I think that AS should try to go head to head on West Coast service out of Oakland with SWA. Without actually checking it seems to me that in the old days of PSA and AirCal there was a lot more service out of OAK than there is now. Not to mention a great number of the North-South routing that SWA is offering out of OAK is ridiculous.

If you look at the the SWA routes from OAK to PDX or SEA you find yourself flying an hour or more South to LAX, SAN or LAS before then flying North. The trips take twice as long, in fact almost all day and are very expensive when compared to AS direct flights. You are paying SWA for the privilege of flying two hours South then another 4 hours North. OAK offers AS less expensive real estate, better operating conditions than SFO and is surrounded by a large population base. But for some reason AS likes to us RJ's at Oakland.

tphuang

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:24 pm

There are some really amusing suggestions on this thread. Remember, they are also going to probably upgauge some aircraft over next year, so they will see less than 2% increase in number of flights. And they've already added some more frequency out of Seattle and only cut a few routes that's once daily. There isn't going to be that many adds with this announcement.

LAXBUR

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:36 pm

jed747 wrote:
I think that AS should try to go head to head on West Coast service out of Oakland with SWA. Without actually checking it seems to me that in the old days of PSA and AirCal there was a lot more service out of OAK than there is now. Not to mention a great number of the North-South routing that SWA is offering out of OAK is ridiculous.

If you look at the the SWA routes from OAK to PDX or SEA you find yourself flying an hour or more South to LAX, SAN or LAS before then flying North. The trips take twice as long, in fact almost all day and are very expensive when compared to AS direct flights. You are paying SWA for the privilege of flying two hours South then another 4 hours North. OAK offers AS less expensive real estate, better operating conditions than SFO and is surrounded by a large population base. But for some reason AS likes to us RJ's at Oakland.

These decisions aren’t arbitrary. If a RJ is the best aircraft for the mission, they use an RJ. Plus, if OAK was such a better proposition someone else would have moved or started their operation there already. AS already has the real estate at SFO.

Only an idiot would be booking OAK-SoCal-PacNW. Not sure what you are driving at there. WN may offer those routings but they have plenty of non-stops.

ERJ170

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:57 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

Thoughts? Go.....

Source for DL adding 2nd daily SEA-RDU?

Didn’t say was but did say likely...

Source
Aiming High and going far..

ucdtim17

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:10 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
jed747 wrote:

These decisions aren’t arbitrary. If a RJ is the best aircraft for the mission, they use an RJ. Plus, if OAK was such a better proposition someone else would have moved or started their operation there already. AS already has the real estate at SFO.

Only an idiot would be booking OAK-SoCal-PacNW. Not sure what you are driving at there. WN may offer those routings but they have plenty of non-stops.

The decisions aren’t arbitrary but as we’ve seen from the AS experience at SFO since the merger, it’s not an exact science either. They’re trying a lot and throwing back those that don’t work to their expectations. It is obviously not the case that at any given point in time they are perfectly efficient with their fleet and network.

ucdtim17

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:13 pm

jed747 wrote:

There was a larger variety of service in the past but OAK is near its all time peak passenger count and will probably hit it this year or next.

As mentioned above, WN does offer plenty of nonstops to SEA and PDX (and GEG and soon PAE), so there probably aren’t many people flying OAK-LAS-PDX

TheFlyGuy

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:49 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
As a PHL follower id love to see PHL-SAN to give AA some competition and also PHL to San Jose. Doubt any of them will happen tho but wishful thinking

Agreed. SJC would be my first choice as it would be a new destination from PHL. AS and AA are the only two carriers likely to ever operate this route. I too would love to see AS launch PHL-SAN to give AA some competition and boost capacity between the two markets. These routes might be wishful thinking but stranger things have happened. I think the most likely AS expansion at PHL would be making the PDX flight year-round and I’m kinda surprised AA doesn’t already fly it year-round. Seems odd to have two carriers both operating this route seasonally.

wedgetail737

Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:31 pm

TheFlyGuy wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
As a PHL follower id love to see PHL-SAN to give AA some competition and also PHL to San Jose. Doubt any of them will happen tho but wishful thinking

Agreed. SJC would be my first choice as it would be a new destination from PHL. AS and AA are the only two carriers likely to ever operate this route. I too would love to see AS launch PHL-SAN to give AA some competition and boost capacity between the two markets. These routes might be wishful thinking but stranger things have happened. I think the most likely AS expansion at PHL would be making the PDX flight year-round and I’m kinda surprised AA doesn’t already fly it year-round. Seems odd to have two carriers both operating this route seasonally.

I have my wishlist like SEA-MRY and SEA-ITO...but I don't see these routes happening anytime soon...if at all. Unfortunately, MMH is going away.

I would have thought F9 would have moved to the newer terminal and keep WN in their own concourse. That would leave another couple of additional gates at AS concourse for growth.

For SAN, I'm hoping SAN-BOI will be brought back and maybe some additional East Coast nonstops.

For SEA, how about returning to COS. I am holding out hope for SEA-ELP, SEA-JAX and SEA-PBI.

For West-Coast-centric service, maybe the return of STS-LAS, OAK-SNA/ONT/BUR, SEA/PDX-SCK or BFL.

I'm interested to see what happens. We already know where AS wants to go from PAE, eventually.

mtnwest1979

Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:11 pm

Umm BOI-SAN hasn't gone anywhere. OO still plying a EMB on it.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

BoeingGuy

Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:24 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
TheFlyGuy wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

I have my wishlist like SEA-MRY and SEA-ITO...but I don't see these routes happening anytime soon...if at all. Unfortunately, MMH is going away.

I would have thought F9 would have moved to the newer terminal and keep WN in their own concourse. That would leave another couple of additional gates at AS concourse for growth.

For SAN, I'm hoping SAN-BOI will be brought back and maybe some additional East Coast nonstops.

For SEA, how about returning to COS. I am holding out hope for SEA-ELP, SEA-JAX and SEA-PBI.

For West-Coast-centric service, maybe the return of STS-LAS, OAK-SNA/ONT/BUR, SEA/PDX-SCK or BFL.

I'm interested to see what happens. We already know where AS wants to go from PAE, eventually.

I could see SEA-MRY sometime.

ITO couldn't even sustain SFO service. I personally like Hilo because it's more authentic Hawaii, but it's not where the tourists go.

PBI and JAX couldn't sustain LAX service, so I wouldn't expect SEA to work.

I expect SEA-COS will return soon. I thought that did well but was just discontinued due to the QX pilot shortage.

Not sure if SCK and BFL could sustain SEA service.

Any chance that AS could resume SEA-LGB?

FA9295

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:42 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
TheFlyGuy wrote:

I could see SEA-MRY sometime.

ITO couldn't even sustain SFO service. I personally like Hilo because it's more authentic Hawaii, but it's not where the tourists go.

PBI and JAX couldn't sustain LAX service, so I wouldn't expect SEA to work.

I expect SEA-COS will return soon. I thought that did well but was just discontinued due to the QX pilot shortage.

Not sure if SCK and BFL could sustain SEA service.

Any chance that AS could resume SEA-LGB?

I can't find the source right now (I think it was a tweet by some airline analysis employee) that they are profoundly uninterested in resuming LGB service.

crescent

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:00 am

SMF-EWR (not done by UA)

enilria

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:10 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
This announcement should provide some clarity on what direction AS wants to go in:
1.Focus on SEA put all resources and defend the main hub
2.Expand PDX
3.Focus on the CA focus cities
4.add a new focus city
5. Go Frontier style and just fly a bunch of random routes they see underserved (lets hope they don't)

AS is going to have alot of slack this announcement should be pretty large and hopefully will indicate what direction they want to go. I will be excited as i really can't see what they want to do right now.

If there is gate space in SEA they will expand there. If not, I expect SJC/SAN. I would say LAX except I'm pretty sure no gates. I do expect them to throw SFO a bone with maybe 1 route.

tphuang

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:12 am

interesting, AS also cut its Saturday only JFK-PSP service.

Bigant0408

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:50 am

TheFlyGuy wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

The only other airlines I could see fly to SAN from PHL is either Spirit or Frontier seasonal service. But back to AS yea I’m surprise PDX service isn’t year round. Maybe one day.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

PlanesNTrains

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:01 am

tphuang wrote:

It doesn’t seem like a market that Alaska would consider core to their network. PSP is not that big of a market and I doubt the 1-weekly route will be missed. Does B6 fly it? It seems like a more logical route for them.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

master14225

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:47 am

AS should seriously add SEA-YYZ, with the growth of both Toronto and Seattle tech hubs, this route could be viable w more airlines other than AC. Seattle is home of Amazon and Microsoft.

FA9295

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:50 am

I wonder how SFO-ANC would do. I know VX had tried it at one point, but I think that AS would have greater success with it under on their product.

FA9295

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:52 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
tphuang wrote:

It doesn’t seem like a market that Alaska would consider core to their network. PSP is not that big of a market and I doubt the 1-weekly route will be missed. Does B6 fly it? It seems like a more logical route for them.

Yes, B6 does fly this route.

questions

Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:33 am

KICT wrote:
All signs point to AS offloading the Airbus fleet. That's all I'm going to say.
The MELs are stacking up...

What are MELs?

questions

Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:49 am

This acquisition was not about growth. While AS picked up more market share for its $2.6B acquisition the transaction was more about preventing a competitor acquiring VX and placing AS’s long term viability in question.

Strategically at this point AS needs to:
- cut all the bleeding from its VX acquisition
- expand beyond its geographically limited hub and develop focus city markets
- leverage its partnerships with non-US airlines to make those focus cities compelling

AA, DL, UA, WN, AS and B6. During the next recession there will be another shake out. Financial strength will be important but also, based on how the recession hits, geographic exposure may come into play.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos