Varsity1

Re: Alaska Airlines to announce new markets soon

Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:50 am

questions wrote:
KICT wrote:
All signs point to AS offloading the Airbus fleet. That's all I'm going to say.
The MELs are stacking up...

What are MELs?

Minimum equipment lists. Things/systems break on aircraft to the point of something constantly being broken. As opposed to downing the aircraft every time something minor breaks, airlines have minimum equipment lists approved by the manufacturer allowing operation with equipment inop. Some come with limitations, like unable to fly above FL350 with he yaw damper inop or something along those lines.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Chugach

Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:55 am

FA9295 wrote:
I wonder how SFO-ANC would do. I know VX had tried it at one point, but I think that AS would have greater success with it under on their product.

AS has flown it in the past, too, albeit not for a decade or so. When VX tried it, UA responded by doubling its frequency and putting 757’s on the route.

I’d be surprised if it’s not on the list for AS again, but I suspect they have bigger fish to fry at SFO right now. Most connecting traffic can flow just as easily over SEA/PDX, and ANC-Bay Area isn’t a huge local market...if it was I think you’d see UA on it year round instead of just summer and Christmas/Spring Break.

questions

Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:27 am

[threeid][/threeid]
Varsity1 wrote:
questions wrote:
KICT wrote:
All signs point to AS offloading the Airbus fleet. That's all I'm going to say.
The MELs are stacking up...

What are MELs?

Minimum equipment lists. Things/systems break on aircraft to the point of something constantly being broken. As opposed to downing the aircraft every time something minor breaks, airlines have minimum equipment lists approved by the manufacturer allowing operation with equipment inop. Some come with limitations, like unable to fly above FL350 with he yaw damper inop or something along those lines.

Thanks.

BoeingGuy

Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:32 am

FA9295 wrote:
I wonder how SFO-ANC would do. I know VX had tried it at one point, but I think that AS would have greater success with it under on their product.

AS flew SFO-ANC awhile back too but it didn’t stick, nor did the number of other routes that pmAS tried from SFO.

BA

Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:46 am

enilria wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
This announcement should provide some clarity on what direction AS wants to go in:
1.Focus on SEA put all resources and defend the main hub
2.Expand PDX
3.Focus on the CA focus cities
4.add a new focus city
5. Go Frontier style and just fly a bunch of random routes they see underserved (lets hope they don't)

AS is going to have alot of slack this announcement should be pretty large and hopefully will indicate what direction they want to go. I will be excited as i really can't see what they want to do right now.

If there is gate space in SEA they will expand there. If not, I expect SJC/SAN. I would say LAX except I'm pretty sure no gates. I do expect them to throw SFO a bone with maybe 1 route.

SEA's additional gate space:

"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

scoping2008

Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:12 am

FA9295 wrote:
scoping2008 wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:
So AS spent a ton of money to end up exactly where they started. Now this financially may actually be a good thing, but feels like they are boxed back in at SEA at the end of the day. Feels a lot like AA mergers with Reno Air and TWA in some ways. Almost nothing left from the acquired airline.

What are you talking about? You speak as if they've closed up shop in California.

Some people would argue that they have indeed closed up shop in California (SFO). Not that I agree with them or anything, but fanboys will be fanboys I guess...

And I'd like a fact-based explanation from those people as to why they ("fanboys") believe that to be the case. Particularly since AS has added more intra-California flying and exter-California flying post-merger than either pre-merger AS or pre-merger VX had combined.

QXAS

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:20 am

master14225 wrote:
AS should seriously add SEA-YYZ, with the growth of both Toronto and Seattle tech hubs, this route could be viable w more airlines other than AC. Seattle is home of Amazon and Microsoft.

YYZ seems to me to be a big hole in the AS network. Especially when the Blue Jays come to town and take over Safeco Field, I think to myself why does AS not serve Toronto? Does anyone here have an answer to that?
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

EA CO AS

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:34 am

QXAS wrote:
I think to myself why does AS not serve Toronto? Does anyone here have an answer to that?

I don't know that it has been looked at lately, but after the short-lived LAXYYZ experiment in the early 90s, there had always been hesitation to consider YYZ again.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

USAirKid

Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:43 am

BA wrote:
enilria wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
This announcement should provide some clarity on what direction AS wants to go in:
1.Focus on SEA put all resources and defend the main hub
2.Expand PDX
3.Focus on the CA focus cities
4.add a new focus city
5. Go Frontier style and just fly a bunch of random routes they see underserved (lets hope they don't)

AS is going to have alot of slack this announcement should be pretty large and hopefully will indicate what direction they want to go. I will be excited as i really can't see what they want to do right now.

If there is gate space in SEA they will expand there. If not, I expect SJC/SAN. I would say LAX except I'm pretty sure no gates. I do expect them to throw SFO a bone with maybe 1 route.

SEA's additional gate space:

Yup. They're building a bus gate building that immediately before the Alaska drop off area as you drive in on departures drive. Its looking like it is nearing completion. Since SeaTac is discounting fees for flights from the bus gates, I'd expect the big takers to be Spirit and Frontier. I could also see Norwegian using that gate, although I'm not sure if international departures are allowed off of those gates.

HPRamper

Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:38 am

I'm going to turn the page back a couple of years and hope for SEA-FAR and SEA-FSD on E-jets. :bouncy:

usairways85

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:23 am

GSP psgr wrote:
My guesses: SEA-CLT/CLE/YYZ, resume PDX-DTW/DEN, SFO-ANC/IAH/CLT(somewhere UA is too timid to go)

I cannot find SEA-CLT data, but here is the SFO-CLT data. I would not call shying away from a market with 800+ more seats than the PDEW as a timid move. AA's 800 lb gorilla schedule and capacity make it incredibly difficult for any airline to take a run at it with such a low PDEW.

2017 SFO-CLT PDEW
Q1: 221
Q2: 350
Q3: 322
Q4: 315

Rough AA capacity: 1,122 seats.

AirFiero

Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:34 am

Are you able to see the SJC - CLT numbers? AA has been running that route seasonally for summer. It's a route I need to take occasionally, and am curious if it has any chance of going year round.

gunsontheroof

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:12 am

QXAS wrote:
master14225 wrote:
AS should seriously add SEA-YYZ, with the growth of both Toronto and Seattle tech hubs, this route could be viable w more airlines other than AC. Seattle is home of Amazon and Microsoft.

YYZ seems to me to be a big hole in the AS network. Especially when the Blue Jays come to town and take over Safeco Field, I think to myself why does AS not serve Toronto? Does anyone here have an answer to that?

A bit tangential to the topic at hand, but it's important to note that the Jays are pretty much Canada's team--not just Toronto. The Toronto-based fans travel in droves for sure (and seem to have a great time doing it...I've served more than a few at various bars), but a ton of that crowd is making the trip down I-5 from British Columbia to see the games. There isn't another American League stadium until you hit Oakland, so Seattle is a big one for them.

To get back to the thread, I'm not sure YYZ is a huge priority for AS. AC has gone back and forth between equipment over the last decade or so (E190/A320) and loads seem to be decent, but I don't think they've ever gone more than twice daily. With no real connection options on the YYZ end, it's hard to see AS entering that market. It's also worth noting that SEA-anything outside of B.C./Alberta seems to be a bit of a non-starter. SEA-YUL gets kicked around (here) from time to time, but I doubt that will be announced by anyone before we see AS take a crack at SEA-YYZ.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:38 am

QXAS wrote:
master14225 wrote:

You do realize those Jays fans are driving in from Vancouver and other parts of BC and not coming from Toronto right? The Jays are Canadas team for Baseball their fans are everywhere in Canada. Seattle is their only chance to see the Jays live so they make the trip.

tphuang

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:48 am

gunsontheroof wrote:
QXAS wrote:
master14225 wrote:

A bit tangential to the topic at hand, but it's important to note that the Jays are pretty much Canada's team--not just Toronto. The Toronto-based fans travel in droves for sure (and seem to have a great time doing it...I've served more than a few at various bars), but a ton of that crowd is making the trip down I-5 from British Columbia to see the games. There isn't another American League stadium until you hit Oakland, so Seattle is a big one for them.

To get back to the thread, I'm not sure YYZ is a huge priority for AS. AC has gone back and forth between equipment over the last decade or so (E190/A320) and loads seem to be decent, but I don't think they've ever gone more than twice daily. With no real connection options on the YYZ end, it's hard to see AS entering that market. It's also worth noting that SEA-anything outside of B.C./Alberta seems to be a bit of a non-starter. SEA-YUL gets kicked around (here) from time to time, but I doubt that will be announced by anyone before we see AS take a crack at SEA-YYZ.

Exactly.

Sea Montreal imo has no demand. Toronto can at least catch on to some tatl connection traffic on ac. Ac has so much of continental USA connected that us carriers simply can’t compete. It also helps they have the jv with ua.

c933103

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:51 am

New market?
Canada/Mexico/Japan/China NE?
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

RWA380

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:10 am

I've read through this thread & I think there are lots of good answers (of course they are all to a hypothetical situation currently) but IMHO, AS is doing exactly what ALL other mergers or acquisitions by carriers has needed to do. Use the new metrics of the surviving carrier & try to make them fit as well as you can, with the absorbed carrier.

At this point AS is trimming fat on under-performing routes VX operated, now those same routes are no longer viable for the AS system. It's just in the phase where the juggling & swapping is happening & I fully expect AS to cut further routes. Once it has been pared down to a point where AS can make a sizable push in a hub city or two,

I know AS has a much longer term strategy at SFO, this was well thought out with plans for a decade or better in view when the merge was completed. AS is not going anywher at SFO & in a few years, we'll see a stronger AS presence there.

I think locking in some routes to Hawaii before WN drops in would be best for AAG, I am so thankful that AS didn't ever seriously consider an Inter-Island operation out of HNL using QX Q-400's. It's my opinion only, but I feel as if WN may have operational issues, running Inter Island hops all day long like has been planned. Without a maintenance facility there, I suspect there will be more than a few ferry flights bringing wounded birds back to the mainland, after suffering at the hard rigors of Inter-Island fling over years on an aircraft.

For the future I'd like to see AS at BZE, I would like to see QX buy KS & operate their Saab fleet in AK. I would like if QX would fly triangle routes on the Q-400, re-claiming some cities they dropped when the Q-200's left & the economy tanked. PDX-LMT-RDD-PDX or PDX-ACV-RDD-PDX, PDX-YKM-PSC-PDX.

I want to see AS connect more of the dots on the west coast, the 20+ r/t's a day between So Cal & Arizona, flights from SAN & SJC to the places with little to no competition. If AS wants to be the "go to" west coast carrier, they need to be in every top ten market from at least their bigger stations like SAN, LAX, SJC, SFO & SMF.

Do not expect AS to go nuts expanding at all, the announcements will be mostly pretty fairly adds & make perfect sense. Some you may question, but I guarantee whatever AAG decides to do, it was well thought out & many months of calculations & investment go into each new addition. I feel AS is on course from their digestion of VX.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

usairways85

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:45 am

AirFiero wrote:
Are you able to see the SJC - CLT numbers? AA has been running that route seasonally for summer. It's a route I need to take occasionally, and am curious if it has any chance of going year round.

2017 CLT-SJC PDEW
Q1: 44
Q2: 62
Q3: 61
Q4: 46

AirFiero

Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:47 pm

usairways85 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

2017 CLT-SJC PDEW
Q1: 44
Q2: 62
Q3: 61
Q4: 46

Thanks!

Probably not good enough numbers to sustain year round non stops

wedgetail737

Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:02 pm

RWA380 wrote:
I've read through this thread & I think there are lots of good answers (of course they are all to a hypothetical situation currently) but IMHO, AS is doing exactly what ALL other mergers or acquisitions by carriers has needed to do. Use the new metrics of the surviving carrier & try to make them fit as well as you can, with the absorbed carrier.

At this point AS is trimming fat on under-performing routes VX operated, now those same routes are no longer viable for the AS system. It's just in the phase where the juggling & swapping is happening & I fully expect AS to cut further routes. Once it has been pared down to a point where AS can make a sizable push in a hub city or two,

I know AS has a much longer term strategy at SFO, this was well thought out with plans for a decade or better in view when the merge was completed. AS is not going anywher at SFO & in a few years, we'll see a stronger AS presence there.

I think locking in some routes to Hawaii before WN drops in would be best for AAG, I am so thankful that AS didn't ever seriously consider an Inter-Island operation out of HNL using QX Q-400's. It's my opinion only, but I feel as if WN may have operational issues, running Inter Island hops all day long like has been planned. Without a maintenance facility there, I suspect there will be more than a few ferry flights bringing wounded birds back to the mainland, after suffering at the hard rigors of Inter-Island fling over years on an aircraft.

For the future I'd like to see AS at BZE, I would like to see QX buy KS & operate their Saab fleet in AK. I would like if QX would fly triangle routes on the Q-400, re-claiming some cities they dropped when the Q-200's left & the economy tanked. PDX-LMT-RDD-PDX or PDX-ACV-RDD-PDX, PDX-YKM-PSC-PDX.

I want to see AS connect more of the dots on the west coast, the 20+ r/t's a day between So Cal & Arizona, flights from SAN & SJC to the places with little to no competition. If AS wants to be the "go to" west coast carrier, they need to be in every top ten market from at least their bigger stations like SAN, LAX, SJC, SFO & SMF.

Do not expect AS to go nuts expanding at all, the announcements will be mostly pretty fairly adds & make perfect sense. Some you may question, but I guarantee whatever AAG decides to do, it was well thought out & many months of calculations & investment go into each new addition. I feel AS is on course from their digestion of VX.

Well said!

Besides my wishlist (realistic or not) of SEA-MRY and the return of STS-LAS and SEA-COS. Some additional routes and returning routes/cities would include BTM, SEA-BOI.

I would also like to see a codeshare agreement with Cape Air out of BIL and maybe some non-traditional routes like BIL-SFO, BIL-LAX or BIL-SAN.

F9Animal

Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:40 pm

[u][u][/u][/u]
WaywardMemphian wrote:
MEM/LAX and MEM/SEA, one can drram can't they

I am surprised more airlines havent jumped on the MEM opportunity! I believe Alaska would do very good flying into MEM from a majority of their focus cities.
I Am A Different Animal!!

hiflyeras

Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:54 pm

RWA380 wrote:

I was in SFO a couple of weeks ago and was impressed by the size of the AS operation. I read they're working on a new club lounge for SFO as well. They want to keep the gates they have and expand their footprint in SFO from what I've heard.

ucdtim17

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:19 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

I was in SFO a couple of weeks ago and was impressed by the size of the AS operation. I read they're working on a new club lounge for SFO as well. They want to keep the gates they have and expand their footprint in SFO from what I've heard.

They're "working on" it as in discussing with the airport where they could put a lounge. It's still a long ways from coming into existence.

bigfoot0503

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:37 pm

BenflysDTW wrote:
PDX-RDU also seems like a good candidate, DL stated earlier that they weren’t interested in that route and instead said that they would put more frequencies on SLC/SEA.

You're off a bit on this one....

Joe Esposito, Delta's senior vice president for network planning attended a July 2018 meeting with 250 community/business leaders in in the RDU area. When asked by the attendees if Delta would add a RDU-PDX non-stop flight.

-Esposito... "Delta has been beefing up its western network in recent years and described Portland as an important destination. But he said the airline will likely first add additional daily nonstop flights to its hub in Salt Lake City and to Seattle, which offers connections to several cities in Asia".

That statement to me clearly does not suggest that Delta isn't interested in a RDU-PDX non-stop flight.

Source:
http://www.aviationpros.com/news/124226 ... row-at-rdu

OKCDCA

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:44 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
I could see SEA-MRY sometime.

ITO couldn't even sustain SFO service. I personally like Hilo because it's more authentic Hawaii, but it's not where the tourists go.

PBI and JAX couldn't sustain LAX service, so I wouldn't expect SEA to work.

I expect SEA-COS will return soon. I thought that did well but was just discontinued due to the QX pilot shortage.

Not sure if SCK and BFL could sustain SEA service.

Any chance that AS could resume SEA-LGB?

Hopefully COS is included, I remember the pilot shortage being the reason it was cut and no mention of the route performing negatively. Sounds like F9 did well with their SEA-COS service this summer and are looking at it coming back next year. It'd be nice to have another option going west besides UA to LAX although I'm not sure how many people would connect through SEA to get places on the west coast.

I'd also like to OKC get another route on AS. I believe the SEA flight load factor is hovering in the high 80's low 90's, so maybe test the waters to SAN or SJC?

Chuska

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:54 pm

Its been awhile but last I heard was that Paine Field was to be up an running next month, PAE-LAX/LAS/PHX/PDX/SAN/SFO/SJC/SNA. Anyone have word on that?

hiflyeras

Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:53 pm

Chuska wrote:
Its been awhile but last I heard was that Paine Field was to be up an running next month, PAE-LAX/LAS/PHX/PDX/SAN/SFO/SJC/SNA. Anyone have word on that?

I heard after the first of the new year. A shame as they'll miss all the holiday traffic.

jetmatt777

Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:53 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
I could see SEA-MRY sometime.

ITO couldn't even sustain SFO service. I personally like Hilo because it's more authentic Hawaii, but it's not where the tourists go.

PBI and JAX couldn't sustain LAX service, so I wouldn't expect SEA to work.

I expect SEA-COS will return soon. I thought that did well but was just discontinued due to the QX pilot shortage.

Not sure if SCK and BFL could sustain SEA service.

Any chance that AS could resume SEA-LGB?

Hopefully COS is included, I remember the pilot shortage being the reason it was cut and no mention of the route performing negatively. Sounds like F9 did well with their SEA-COS service this summer and are looking at it coming back next year. It'd be nice to have another option going west besides UA to LAX although I'm not sure how many people would connect through SEA to get places on the west coast.

I'd also like to OKC get another route on AS. I believe the SEA flight load factor is hovering in the high 80's low 90's, so maybe test the waters to SAN or SJC?

Right out of the gate OKC was filling the flight. It’s been operating for 3 years with no sign of an upgrade or any additions. Kind of strange. It’s definitely a long flight. I’ve flown on it a few times (including the inaugural flight)
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Varsity1

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:00 pm

Was in SEA last night and blown away by the amount of AS metal just sitting around!

A massive amount of slack in the fleet right now.

A side note:

AS needs to get with the ball game on the onboard soft product. FA's wearing T shirts with stretched out neck collars and wings pinned on?? Random/inconsistant FA annoucements throughout flight.
What's the story here??
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

BA

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:03 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
Besides my wishlist (realistic or not) of SEA-MRY and the return of STS-LAS and SEA-COS. Some additional routes and returning routes/cities would include BTM, SEA-BOI.

SEA-BOI was not cut. It's still operating.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

BoeingGuy

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:11 pm

BA wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Yes, Butte was cut close to 10 years ago. He may mean SEA-BOI on AS metal. It has been flown mainline in the past.

I’m surprised that AS flies SEA-SBP but not SEA-MRY.

BA

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:22 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
BA wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Yes, Butte was cut close to 10 years ago. He may mean SEA-BOI on AS metal. It has been flown mainline in the past.

AS mainline still operates SEA-BOI. It's mixed Mainline/Horizon/Skywest.

JayWings

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Was in SEA last night and blown away by the amount of AS metal just sitting around!

A side note:

AS needs to get with the ball game on the onboard soft product. FA's wearing T shirts with stretched out neck collars and wings pinned on?? Random/inconsistant FA annoucements throughout flight.
What's the story here??

The amount of metal you see on the ground is due to the recently adopted arrival and departure bank set up. It enables more connection opportunities for pax, and doesn’t necessarily indicate a large amount of slack in the fleet.

The T shirts are a remnant from VX’s summer shirts. Agreed the quality of the shirt needs an upgrade but I’m sure it’s a nice warm weather alternative to polyester. Quite sure that will go away once the new uniform is released next year.

There’s no reason for “random, inconsistent announcements” as every employee has all the announcements they need on their company device. Could have been an off day for that particular FA or maybe a brand new one or who knows? It’s the human element of any airline.

If T shirts and a few one-off random announcements are all there is to worry about with the Alaska on board soft product then I’d say they’re doing quite well in the midst of a billion dollar merger. I’ll enjoy charging my phone, watching free movies and texting inflight for free while I sip my Woodford and Ginger in premium after a friendly FA hands me some trail mix. Just my 2 cents.

LAXBUR

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:31 pm

BA wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
BA wrote:

AS mainline still operates SEA-BOI. It's mixed Mainline/Horizon/Skywest.

SEA-BOI was 10x daily this summer with two 739s. Going back to 8x with one mainline for winter. BOI is a mini focus city with point to point flying. SEA would be the last route to be cut.

They even built a ground load jetway (which is strange because you go outdoors to a jetway - but eliminates stairs).

Varsity1

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:17 pm

JayWings wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

A side note:

What's the story here??

The amount of metal you see on the ground is due to the recently adopted arrival and departure bank set up. It enables more connection opportunities for pax, and doesn’t necessarily indicate a large amount of slack in the fleet.

The T shirts are a remnant from VX’s summer shirts. Agreed the quality of the shirt needs an upgrade but I’m sure it’s a nice warm weather alternative to polyester. Quite sure that will go away once the new uniform is released next year.

There’s no reason for “random, inconsistent announcements” as every employee has all the announcements they need on their company device. Could have been an off day for that particular FA or maybe a brand new one or who knows? It’s the human element of any airline.

If T shirts and a few one-off random announcements are all there is to worry about with the Alaska on board soft product then I’d say they’re doing quite well in the midst of a billion dollar merger. I’ll enjoy charging my phone, watching free movies and texting inflight for free while I sip my Woodford and Ginger in premium after a friendly FA hands me some trail mix. Just my 2 cents.

I was in the airport for 4 hours and several 737's sat on hard stands the entire night. Also noticed two FI 757's sitting overnight together.

What's the story with the new arrival/departure bank? I can't help but think that AS is prime to take SEA-International on some widebodies. Tokyo and London with their quasi-one world partners.

Hubs are only as strong as whats on the other side of them, in this case it's a door to Asia.

wedgetail737

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:44 pm

BA wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Sorry about that. I typed "SEA" and meant SAN.

LAXBUR

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:46 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
BA wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Well, good news there too. SAN-BOI has been operating for a few years uninterrupted.

SANFan

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:13 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
Well, good news there too. SAN-BOI has been operating for a few years uninterrupted.

SAN-BOI has actually been flying full-time since Fall 2013! AS now has competition on the route (WN) and I wouldn't be totally shocked to see AS/QX/OO go daily-double in the market one of these days. Two daily r/t on EMJs would offer something that WN can't -- a choice of times. I believe there's enough traffic for AS to offer that for the many "commuters" flying frequently between the two cities. (That would make more sense than AS going mainline on the route.)

The route started out with some sort of subsidy from the Idaho end -- Boise really wanted nonstop service to San Diego! -- but I'm sure that has long-since expired.

And starting in a bit over a month, we will see the re-start of nonstop service from SAN to GEG, another route long overdue. (Both BOI and GEG were last served when ExpressJet (XE) was in the market. (AS/QX pulled out not too long after XE folded.)

bb

IADCA

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:17 pm

I do wonder if they'd consider SJC-IAD. There's no incumbent carrier, the flights from SFO are full and fares high (at least anecdotally) on both AS and UA, and there's a fair amount of traffic from Silicon Valley to DC - again anecdotal but a lot of the people on those flights are carrying baggage branded from Stanford or the major tech companies in Menlo Park, Mountain View, and Cupertino.

I'm in that neck of the woods and would gladly use SJC rather than SFO if only some carrier would give me the option of a nonstop. I'd think that AS could leverage the legacy VX FF base in the area to give that a shot, but who knows.

hiflyeras

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
I was in the airport for 4 hours and several 737's sat on hard stands the entire night. Also noticed two FI 757's sitting overnight together.

AS has around 250 airframes but there's less than a dozen or so cities that can support a 'redeye' flight out of SEA and avoid parking a plane all night. Yes, you could maybe add some others but it needs to be a large enough market to justify it (they're generally not as popular and a harder sell) and it's a long enough flight that it doesn't arrive at 3 or 4am...no one wants to fly on that.

Airlines such as FI have to choose whether it's economical to turn a plane right away or to lay the crew over and leave the next day after they get sufficient rest.

CobaltScar

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:00 am

hiflyeras wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Airlines such as FI have to choose whether it's economical to turn a plane right away or to lay the crew over and leave the next day after they get sufficient rest.

OR give them absurdly long 28+ hour layovers and the previous crew takes the flight after their 28+ hour long layover. Really the only way to to do these and still get the plane working again at 6am.

jetpixx

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:45 am

I know all of us here on A.net know AS is much more than an Alaskan or West Coast network, but the name 'Alaska' doesn't do them any favors. I think AS should totally rebrand itself.

Yes, people can do research...and WN seems to do all right despite not being limited to 'just' the Southwest...but it takes years, and some of the routes they're trying, unless marketed to the gills, just won't do well because many casual travelers won't think to even check AS for a JFK-SFO routing. They're not trained to do so.
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LGA, M57, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR

jetpixx

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:46 am

I have never flown AS, but would love to give them a shot on RDU-SEA. They sound like a great airline. But I think for a lot of East Coast people, they only associate them with AS...don't know they took over VX, have a rather extensive network, etc. Anyway, just looking at it from the casual traveler...we know the difference between an E175 and 739. We know they fly from the Northeast to California, and you don't have to go anywhere near Alaska to use them. I just think a rebrand would do so much for them.
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LGA, M57, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR

scutfarcus

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:56 am

I'd love to see them grab MKE-SFO before (or if ever) United does it. Heck, throw in MKE-LAX, why not? Only one WN flight a day that's always priced high and full can't be too hard to compete with.

wedgetail737

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:01 am

LAXBUR wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
BA wrote:

Really? Man...I must be really hibernating under a rock...LOL! Thanks for the info!

FA9295

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:02 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:
BenflysDTW wrote:
PDX-RDU also seems like a good candidate, DL stated earlier that they weren’t interested in that route and instead said that they would put more frequencies on SLC/SEA.

You're off a bit on this one....

Joe Esposito, Delta's senior vice president for network planning attended a July 2018 meeting with 250 community/business leaders in in the RDU area. When asked by the attendees if Delta would add a RDU-PDX non-stop flight.

-Esposito... "Delta has been beefing up its western network in recent years and described Portland as an important destination. But he said the airline will likely first add additional daily nonstop flights to its hub in Salt Lake City and to Seattle, which offers connections to several cities in Asia".

That statement to me clearly does not suggest that Delta isn't interested in a RDU-PDX non-stop flight.

Source:
http://www.aviationpros.com/news/124226 ... row-at-rdu

I would say that they are interested in RDU-PDX, but I don't see them starting it anytime soon. Maybe within 2-3 years (unless if AS starts it earlier).

wedgetail737

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:05 am

jetpixx wrote:
I have never flown AS, but would love to give them a shot on RDU-SEA. They sound like a great airline. But I think for a lot of East Coast people, they only associate them with AS...don't know they took over VX, have a rather extensive network, etc. Anyway, just looking at it from the casual traveler...we know the difference between an E175 and 739. We know they fly from the Northeast to California, and you don't have to go anywhere near Alaska to use them. I just think a rebrand would do so much for them.

AS is still focused on the west coast and probably continue to do so. Changing the "Alaska" name would be a fatal mistake on their part. AS doesn't have any near-term plans to expand throughout the East Coast. Why? The East Coast market is saturated as it is. It will take time for the AS name to become well-known on the East Coast. But I don't think the SEA-RDU route is suffering because of the "Alaska" name.

Varsity1

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:30 am

I love the 'Alaska' name.

Sounds adventerous and conveys the airline's strong heritage.

whpbur

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:34 am

Does anyone know how the 3X daily AS SJC-BUR e175 route is performing? Meeting expectations? Will AS keep it status quo?

questions

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:35 am

ucdtim17 wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

They're "working on" it as in discussing with the airport where they could put a lounge. It's still a long ways from coming into existence.

According to flysfo.com:

Timeline:

July 2019: 9 gates open in Boarding Area B; new Consolidated Security Checkpoint opens; T1 Center partially opens
March 2020: 9 more gates open in Boarding Area B (18 gates total), entire south check-in lobby
Q2 2021: International Connector open, 7 additional gates (25 gates total), swing gates open
Q4 2022: All gates open; Boarding Area B and T1 fully operational

Which airline is moving into T1, AA or AS?

If AA, wouldn’t AS takeover AA’s Admiral club in T2?

If AS, wouldn’t the T1 design include lounge space for AS?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos