Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jbs2886

Re: Alaska Airlines to announce new markets soon

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:54 pm

questions wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
questions wrote:

No conspiracy theories.

AS is in the middle of the pack and is likely to be squeezed at both sides.
Their primary hub is geographically disadvantaged.

This is not a swipe against their historic success. It’s just a significant challenge. If I had to chose between AS or Macy’s, I’d certainly chose AS!

/
Squeezed at both sides? You realize Jetblue had the worst 2018 of any major US airline right?

You missed the point.

AA, DL, UA, WN <=> AS <=> B6, NK, G4, F9

US3 + Southwest <=> Alaska (full svc reg player) <=> jetBlue, Spirit, Allegiant, Frontier (LCC, ULCC, Discount)

Strategically, their “where to play, how to win” choices will likely be squeezed from both sides.

Lets be realistic, JetBlue isn't really a "low cost carrier" anymore. Particularly since introducing Mint.

tphuang

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:19 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
questions wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

Oh boy, here comes all the merger conspiracy theories.

No conspiracy theories.

AS is in the middle of the pack and is likely to be squeezed at both sides.
Their primary hub is geographically disadvantaged.

This is not a swipe against their historic success. It’s just a significant challenge. If I had to chose between AS or Macy’s, I’d certainly chose AS!

/
Squeezed at both sides? You realize Jetblue had the worst 2018 of any major US airline right?

JetBlue had a really good q1, above average. And q2 margin was higher than aa and ua. Nowhere close to being worst of 2018.

SANFan

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:33 pm

joeljack wrote:
I read through the thread, I don't think anyone mentioned this but could they take around 10- E175's and base them into LAS? Fly them only to non-southwest markets on a 1x-3x daily basis. You would compete with Allegiant on a few routes but most of those are only 2x per week and don't cater to the business traveler. Examples might be Santa Barbra, Eugene, Medford, Fresno, Monterey, Redmond, other Montana and Washington cities seasonally.

Just trying to think outside the box where there is limited competition so don't kill me if you think it is a bad idea.

I don't think you have a bad idea at all. I do however doubt that AAG would be interested in fighting all the competition and crowding at Vegas., especially WN, G4 and even DL's focus operation there. I know it's a huge market but tends to be low-yielding and already has lots of service. They're already facing those issues at LAX.

Since AS just pulled their (inherited) nonstop to JFK, and the nonstop service to ANC is gone, that would also indicate their intent to keep LAS as a regular but well-served out-station from their hubs and focus cities. That situation could change in the future but for now, I don't think so.

That being said, I do expect that LAS will see service to AAG's growth points in California in the not-too-distant future. As part of growing their CA presence, AS needs to connect McCarran with at least SAN, SNA and SJC at a minimum, with maybe FAT, SMF & STS in the mix. It's certainly possible that some of the other w/c cities you mentioned could also see service to LAS at some point but I'm sure that would be down the list a ways. (BTW, I think PHX will see the same adds as LAS from AS one of these days.)

AS of course already serves LA and SFO from Vegas, and LAS-PAE should start sometime soon. Beyond that, I think AS will be happy to let WN and G4 serve the rest of the world from Vegas.

bb

LAXBUR

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:12 pm

My personal opinion is Vegas won't get much more, if any service adds in the future. Remember, they tried SLC-LAS and pulled that really quickly. Granted there's decent competition on the route. A hodgepodge of low yielding routes are doubtful. I personally would love some more SoCal-Vegas flights on AS/VX metal, but that isn't likely. If Delta wasn't already on a couple of these routes I'd say maybe, but certainly not now.

I'm not doom and gloom, but there are not a ton of places for Alaska to go right now. I really expect things to mostly stay as they are with some intra-CA adds here and there and SEA Area/SAN/SJC routes til they can better figure out SFO.

YouGeeElWhy

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:25 pm

It feels like AS hung themselves by paying too much for VX and by expending too many resources integrating VX at a critical point when those resources could have been used to fight off DL in SEA. It would not surprise me if UA or AA tried to scoop them up as this current administration would likely not block that merger, but when (soon???) a more liberal/consumer friendly administration takes the White House it will become almost impossible without AS being on life support.

SANFan

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:46 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
It feels like AS hung themselves by paying too much for VX and by expending too many resources integrating VX at a critical point when those resources could have been used to fight off DL in SEA. It would not surprise me if UA or AA tried to scoop them up as this current administration would likely not block that merger, but when (soon???) a more liberal/consumer friendly administration takes the White House it will become almost impossible without AS being on life support.

Hey, I tried folks... (per my post #294 up-thread.)

LAXBUR wrote:
My personal opinion is Vegas won't get much more, if any service adds in the future. Remember, they tried SLC-LAS and pulled that really quickly. Granted there's decent competition on the route. A hodgepodge of low yielding routes are doubtful. I personally would love some more SoCal-Vegas flights on AS/VX metal,

I'm intrigued by your use of the term "AS/VX metal". Umm, how to say this nicely... there is no ''VX metal' any more. "AS metal" is sufficient. (Save some keystrokes!)

But moving forward, there was talk when DL started flying SAN-LAS a couple of years ago, that they did it simply as a shot over AS's bow as they expected AAG to enter the market soon.
And I still expect that to happen.

bb

LAXBUR

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:47 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:

I'm not sure what else Alaska could do to fight off DL in SEA. I don't believe they've seceded on many, if any routes they share with Delta. They still have 50% market share. Adding a bunch more capacity wouldn't really help anyone since most routes already have a high service level. Heck, even Boise had 10x SEA-BOI on AS with two 739s compared to DLs 5 RJs. Plus, buying VX did absorb another airline on a few routes that AS, DL, and VX shared. So merger aside I don't know what else they could be doing there.

LAXBUR

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:52 pm

SANFan wrote:
YouGeeElWhy wrote:

Hey, I tried folks... (per my post #294 up-thread.)

LAXBUR wrote:
My personal opinion is Vegas won't get much more, if any service adds in the future. Remember, they tried SLC-LAS and pulled that really quickly. Granted there's decent competition on the route. A hodgepodge of low yielding routes are doubtful. I personally would love some more SoCal-Vegas flights on AS/VX metal,

I'm intrigued by your use of the term "AS/VX metal". Umm, how to say this nicely... there is no ''VX metal' any more. "AS metal" is sufficient. (Save some keystrokes!)

But moving forward, there was talk when DL started flying SAN-LAS a couple of years ago, that they did it simply as a shot over AS's bow as they expected AAG to enter the market soon.
And I still expect that to happen.

bb

I'm well aware. But at the moment VX planes are still flying around with VX paint scheme, layout, and their not so happy flight crews regardless of who holds the certificate. Once crew integration is in place I'll feel a little more like I'm on an AS plane. Till then their robotic FAs and IFE systems remind me of something other than Alaska.
Last edited by LAXBUR on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

questions

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:11 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
questions wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
/

You missed the point.

AA, DL, UA, WN <=> AS <=> B6, NK, G4, F9

US3 + Southwest <=> Alaska (full svc reg player) <=> jetBlue, Spirit, Allegiant, Frontier (LCC, ULCC, Discount)

Strategically, their “where to play, how to win” choices will likely be squeezed from both sides.

Lets be realistic, JetBlue isn't really a "low cost carrier" anymore. Particularly since introducing Mint.

Well I didn’t know what the heck to call that group, perhaps “all other” would have been better.

LAXBUR

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:37 pm

FYI looks like mainline flights will be on SJC-LAX beginning in January. Currently 4x RJ, will be 3x Airbus and 1x RJ.

CMH shows Airbus from Seattle. Don't have exact start date but shows in schedule for next summer (July).

kavok

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:55 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see, long term, a lot more growth from AS at SJC. Maybe boost the focus city status up to small hub eventually.

Even though SFO and OAK are nearby, I think AS has the potential to really grow a niche for themselves with all of the tech companies around SJC, and growing the list of destinations could help facilitate that.

BA

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:01 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
YouGeeElWhy wrote:

I'm not sure what else Alaska could do to fight off DL in SEA. I don't believe they've seceded on many, if any routes they share with Delta. They still have 50% market share. Adding a bunch more capacity wouldn't really help anyone since most routes already have a high service level. Heck, even Boise had 10x SEA-BOI on AS with two 739s compared to DLs 5 RJs. Plus, buying VX did absorb another airline on a few routes that AS, DL, and VX shared. So merger aside I don't know what else they could be doing there.

AS hasn't ceded any routes to DL from SEA. While AS has made cuts at other stations, they've held their ground in SEA very well. Better than I've expected to be honest.

I believe the only "significant" cut in SEA recently was the discontinuing of COS and that was due to the pilot shortages at QX. Hopefully the route will come back, but either way, COS has never been served by DL from SEA so they did not "cede" the route to DL.

What has helped is SEA has organically been a booming market over the past several years which has helped accommodate the growth of both DL and AS.

AS' challenges at growing in SEA are the lack of gates. The airport is bursting in the seams and this is impacting service levels.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

BA

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:12 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
CMH shows Airbus from Seattle. Don't have exact start date but shows in schedule for next summer (July).

Good catch. Looks like it starts March 4.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

SANFan

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:47 pm

BA wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

According to AS's online schedules, start date is March 7.

(I searched and don't find any additional CMH-service on AS...)

bb

hiflyeras

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:00 am

LAXBUR wrote:
I'm well aware. But at the moment VX planes are still flying around with VX paint scheme, layout, and their not so happy flight crews regardless of who holds the certificate. Once crew integration is in place I'll feel a little more like I'm on an AS plane. Till then their robotic FAs and IFE systems remind me of something other than Alaska.

If their intention is to bite off their nose to spite their face then it sounds like some are doing a good job? The pilots and cabin crew all got a very big raise...it's time for them to pull up their panties and show why they somehow won all these awards or they can apply somewhere else and start all over. Some probably already have...and it's bye Felicia. Every airline goes through this in an acquisition....the non-surviving carrier's s%#& didn't stink and was the greatest airline since Sliced Bread Airlines. Agree...AS needs to integrate the crews, step up the painting, change to identical on-board product with the prescribed inflight service being done and get everyone in the same uniform asap.

Midwestindy
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:22 am

alfa164 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
And her comment was to appease a customer who was disappointed that AS is (again) cutting MEX. I agree that I'd take that with a grain of salt.

You think the AS social media team is allowed to make up random statements like that? There is no way they were allowed to say something like that unless an announcement was actually planned.

Maybe not "allowed" to make up statements... but it is definitely possible the agent was just trying to placate an irate passenger. It is hard to believe such a "major announcement" would not have leaked somewhere - probably here on A.net - if a random customer service agent (and surely not the only customer service agent) knows about it.

There announcements do not happen in a vacuum... I will believe it when I see it.

Hahahahahaha, and lo and behold....

SANFan wrote:
BA wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

According to AS's online schedules, start date is March 7.

(I searched and don't find any additional CMH-service on AS...)

bb
ORD & IND

AA & DL

LAXBUR

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:44 am

hiflyeras wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

If their intention is to bite off their nose to spite their face then it sounds like some are doing a good job? The pilots and cabin crew all got a very big raise...it's time for them to pull up their panties and show why they somehow won all these awards or they can apply somewhere else and start all over. Some probably already have...and it's bye Felicia. Every airline goes through this in an acquisition....the non-surviving carrier's s%#& didn't stink and was the greatest airline since Sliced Bread Airlines. Agree...AS needs to integrate the crews, step up the painting, change to identical on-board product with the prescribed inflight service being done and get everyone in the same uniform asap.

Yeah I find the attitude to be pretty inexplicable. But the arrogance was around before the merger.

I have a friend who is an AS FA with years of seniority and 700 VX FAs will be in front of them. So they got a raise, equivalent seniority, and less tasks thanks to IFE removal. Why you mad? lol

I hear integration starts early 2019.

Balloonchaser

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:31 am

Why does AS show KISP as a bookable destination?

FA9295

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:47 am

Balloonchaser wrote:
Why does AS show KISP as a bookable destination?

Through their codeshare network with American Airlines.

jsteeves3

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:07 am

FA9295 wrote:
adam47150 wrote:
Here's my completely crazy, off the wall guess at new routes for AS: SDF-LAX or SDF-BOS. The local business community is pushing for flights to these two cities.

SDF-BOS? That's more of a JetBlue kind of flight... And I'm sure they would start JFK-SDF before BOS-SDF.

I think BOS is actually more likely to get the service over JFK on B6.... look at MSP, ATL, DFW etc.

ryanrap1

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:14 am

Anyone think SAT will get some additional service? The only flight to SEA is always packed

toering

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:32 am

How about FAR! Some years ago there was rumor of SEA-FAR... lets see it happen.

wedgetail737

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:48 am

ryanrap1 wrote:
Anyone think SAT will get some additional service? The only flight to SEA is always packed

Maybe AS will add a seasonal redeye on the SEA-SAT route like they did on the SEA-AUS route.

obelau24

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:57 am

hiflyeras wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

VX pilots had consistently excellent customer service skills - from their announcements to greeting passengers at the door; the cabin crews though I all found to have a stick up their asses. Actually it was the same attitude I found with their ground staff as well. I hated talking to a VX agent af SFO so I did my very best to avoid any interaction. The crew did the same - they went out of their way to avoid interacting with passengers lol. That was the beauty of Red, you order and they plop it down on your table and no one has to talk to each other.

Ex-VX employees have A LOT to learn from their new employer.

BA

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:04 am

USAirKid wrote:
BA wrote:
enilria wrote:
If there is gate space in SEA they will expand there. If not, I expect SJC/SAN. I would say LAX except I'm pretty sure no gates. I do expect them to throw SFO a bone with maybe 1 route.

SEA's additional gate space:

Yup. They're building a bus gate building that immediately before the Alaska drop off area as you drive in on departures drive. Its looking like it is nearing completion. Since SeaTac is discounting fees for flights from the bus gates, I'd expect the big takers to be Spirit and Frontier. I could also see Norwegian using that gate, although I'm not sure if international departures are allowed off of those gates.

Regarding international, Norwegian is regularly boarding its passengers remotely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxz_I-mpAKU

I've seen passengers boarding the bus out of the new gate A20/A21 ramp that was built at the end of Concourse A recently.

questions

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:21 am

obelau24 wrote:
VX pilots had consistently excellent customer service skills - from their announcements to greeting passengers at the door; the cabin crews though I all found to have a stick up their asses. Actually it was the same attitude I found with their ground staff as well. I hated talking to a VX agent af SFO so I did my very best to avoid any interaction. The crew did the same - they went out of their way to avoid interacting with passengers lol. That was the beauty of Red, you order and they plop it down on your table and no one has to talk to each other.

I generally liked VX. Agree re the pilots.

I found a lot of the FAs were millennials who needed experienced mentors. My favorite experience:
- F class; nearly four hour flight
- I asked the FA for a snack. She said she didn’t have it up front
- I, the customer, asked her if she could see if they were available in the back. She said she’d see and disappeared to the back
- 20+ minutes later she returned. “They are all out” and walking! The guy across the aisle looked over, rolled his eyes and laughed
- She didn’t say, “Sorry that took so long”... “Can I get you something else”.... Noooo, she kept walking!
- She sat down in the jump seat and opened her book

She did the absolute the minimum. A lot of FA’s working the F cabin walk through many times offering drinks and snacks... because it’s part of the expected service... because they want to do a good job in the eyes of the passengers... and because they are bored!!

LAXBUR

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:59 am

questions wrote:
obelau24 wrote:

I generally liked VX. Agree re the pilots.

I found a lot of the FAs were millennials who needed experienced mentors. My favorite experience:
- F class; nearly four hour flight
- I asked the FA for a snack. She said she didn’t have it up front
- I, the customer, asked her if she could see if they were available in the back. She said she’d see and disappeared to the back
- 20+ minutes later she returned. “They are all out” and walking! The guy across the aisle looked over, rolled his eyes and laughed
- She didn’t say, “Sorry that took so long”... “Can I get you something else”.... Noooo, she kept walking!
- She sat down in the jump seat and opened her book

She did the absolute the minimum. A lot of FA’s working the F cabin walk through many times offering drinks and snacks... because it’s part of the expected service... because they want to do a good job in the eyes of the passengers... and because they are bored!!

I recently had a VX FA stand over me and talk to a jump-seating pilot next to me. I assumed she was collecting trash as she walked up since they made the approach announcement. I had put my tray table away and was awkwardly holding my trash as she decided to have a full on conversation with the pilot (who didn't seem too interested in her conversation). Generally, they've avoided eye contact when delivering snacks or drinks. I never had anyone outright rude, but they seemed disinterested. That's why I think many VX "frequent" flyers that are up in arms haven't actually flown Alaska yet or are too ashamed to admit their biggest complaint is less about service and more Alaska isn't as cool to put on Instagram. That purple mood lighting gets the most likes! haha

nine4nine

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:21 am

I noticed AS has started moving the VX metal to some of the north/south markets the past 2 days. N837VA 320 has been doing back and forth SEA-BUR the past 2 days (I hope some pics get posted as this would be first time virgin colors at Burbank) and SEA-SNA is seeing VX metal as well. Is this permanent or for crew familiarization on these new routes for VX crews?
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

SANFan

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:04 pm

It's official - SEA-CMH starts March7, 2019 using an AS A320.

So the first announcement is out and it's a pretty major one for AS (and for CMH.)

It does appear from the source of all this conjecture that the term "new markets" was used so I assume there will be more announcements from AS over the next few weeks. So let's let this thread about those new announcements and new routes continue to be used to discuss AS mergers, AS v. VX and everything else not related to the subject!

bb

YouGeeElWhy

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:12 pm

Why not create the normal network thread like the other "carriers".

We can continue in this thread on discussing VX and how AS is going to be consumed by DL/WN/UA/AA :rotfl:

Chugach

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:40 pm

SANFan wrote:
joeljack wrote:
I read through the thread, I don't think anyone mentioned this but could they take around 10- E175's and base them into LAS? Fly them only to non-southwest markets on a 1x-3x daily basis. You would compete with Allegiant on a few routes but most of those are only 2x per week and don't cater to the business traveler. Examples might be Santa Barbra, Eugene, Medford, Fresno, Monterey, Redmond, other Montana and Washington cities seasonally.

Just trying to think outside the box where there is limited competition so don't kill me if you think it is a bad idea.

I don't think you have a bad idea at all. I do however doubt that AAG would be interested in fighting all the competition and crowding at Vegas., especially WN, G4 and even DL's focus operation there. I know it's a huge market but tends to be low-yielding and already has lots of service. They're already facing those issues at LAX.

Since AS just pulled their (inherited) nonstop to JFK, and the nonstop service to ANC is gone, that would also indicate their intent to keep LAS as a regular but well-served out-station from their hubs and focus cities. That situation could change in the future but for now, I don't think so.

That being said, I do expect that LAS will see service to AAG's growth points in California in the not-too-distant future. As part of growing their CA presence, AS needs to connect McCarran with at least SAN, SNA and SJC at a minimum, with maybe FAT, SMF & STS in the mix. It's certainly possible that some of the other w/c cities you mentioned could also see service to LAS at some point but I'm sure that would be down the list a ways. (BTW, I think PHX will see the same adds as LAS from AS one of these days.)

AS of course already serves LA and SFO from Vegas, and LAS-PAE should start sometime soon. Beyond that, I think AS will be happy to let WN and G4 serve the rest of the world from Vegas.

bb

ANC-LAS is winter seasonal. Contrary to popular belief, there is a decent winter seasonal market from ANC...AS runs ANC-OGG/KOA/LAS/PHX as winter seasonal, and ANC-LAX exists in the winter months mostly to help feed Mexico flights.

MAH4546

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:34 pm

Chugach wrote:
SANFan wrote:
joeljack wrote:

bb

ANC-LAS is winter seasonal. Contrary to popular belief, there is a decent winter seasonal market from ANC...AS runs ANC-OGG/KOA/LAS/PHX as winter seasonal, and ANC-LAX exists in the winter months mostly to help feed Mexico flights.

Most of that LAXANC traffic is likely local. It’s the bird largest local market from ANC after SEA and FAI.
a.

ucdtim17

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:37 pm

I hope that wasn't the extent of the new market announcements

Passedv1

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:44 pm

SANFan wrote:

So the first announcement is out and it's a pretty major one for AS (and for CMH.)

It does appear from the source of all this conjecture that the term "new markets" was used so I assume there will be more announcements from AS over the next few weeks. So let's let this thread about those new announcements and new routes continue to be used to discuss AS mergers, AS v. VX and everything else not related to the subject!

bb

internal announcement states: "...three more to come this year."

hiflyeras

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:06 pm

'Cultural Training' starts soon at AS. All employees required to attend. It's well known that VX cabin crew need to up their customer service and lose the attitude. They're no longer going to be allowed to hide in the galley or merely respond to a blinking screen or push a button to play the safety demo. AS FF'ers now flying an Airbus on a previous Boeing route will be all over them if they don't provide the same level of service as legacy AS crew. AS management will be hauling them in for a discussion and if you get enough bad letters you'll be out the door. And integrating the crews (starting early 2019) will have them working with AS crews...they won't put up with any of this nonsense.

SANFan

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Chugach wrote:
SANFan wrote:
bb

Correction. As I posted up-thread, and you quoted me (above), LAS-ANC was seasonal -- it no longer exists. PHX-ANC remains.

Passedv1 wrote:

Thank you very much for that info -- that's what I was hoping to hear!

The speculation should continue. (I know mine will!)

bb

BoeingGuy

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:34 pm

Passedv1 wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

Three more new destinations or three connect-the-dots routes?

hiflyeras

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:01 pm

One of the routes was supposedly going to elicit some ‘excitement’. I’m not sure if CMH fits that description! ;)

Bluegrass60

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:11 pm

SDF is putting together a $7M package to attract service to various cities. SEA, SFO and RDU are among the markets they would like to get service. Have no idea how AS is doing on SEA-CHS or SFO-RDU....but a short stop at SDF from RDU and CHS...with x-connect to SEA/SFO (and reverse) seems like it could make sense and make those routes stronger? Maybe allow for 2/day on both routes as well.

If not AS.....DL should take a look at the same thing

Passedv1

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:07 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:

“In the past 18 months we’ve added 38 new West Coast routes, with three more to come this year. “

msycajun

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:02 pm

Passedv1 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

“In the past 18 months we’ve added 38 new West Coast routes, with three more to come this year. “

Is that number referring to things like SEA-CMH that touch the west coast, or only routes that begin and end on the coast?

Midwestindy
Topic Author

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:03 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
SDF is putting together a $7M package to attract service to various cities. SEA, SFO and RDU are among the markets they would like to get service. Have no idea how AS is doing on SEA-CHS or SFO-RDU....but a short stop at SDF from RDU and CHS...with x-connect to SEA/SFO (and reverse) seems like it could make sense and make those routes stronger? Maybe allow for 2/day on both routes as well.

That is never going to happen
ORD & IND

AA & DL

Overthecascades

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:26 pm

Just when Will Alaska announce new routes? All these speculations and blah blah can be tiring after so many days! Am I alone??

SANFan

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Overthecascades wrote:
Just when Will Alaska announce new routes? All these speculations and blah blah can be tiring after so many days! Am I alone??

Terribly sorry you have to wait and wait... Must be awful.

To remind you, the OP quotes the source saying:
Stay tuned in the coming weeks for new markets to be announced. - Laura

That seems to be about the best we got from AS. So sorry it's so tiring for you. Maybe you should just ignore everything going on here and check back in mid-September.

So we have 1 announced new route so far and 3 more announcements to go. Not bad Alaska!

bb

Bluegrass60

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:44 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

That is never going to happen

"Thanks MidwestIndy. Why would that never happen? Am sure both of those routes are thin. A quick stop at SDF would more than pay for the stop. One of these days the carriers are going to run out of LH routes that make any sense. I see where AS dropped IND-SFO. (because UA has 1-2 daily). Let's just agree that SDF will get more service before IND gets anything else over the Atlantic or the Pacific...."

BA

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:46 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
Am sure both of those routes are thin. A quick stop at SDF would more than pay for the stop.

How do you know they are thin? Do you have access to specific performance data on these specific routes or are you just speculating?

Varsity1

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:48 pm

LAX-MCI :?:

Bluegrass60

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:58 pm

If AS flies both routes every day on 145 seat equipment...there are 105,000 seats available on each route each year. Aside from the AS nonstop from CHS...the CHS traveler can choose to fly with connection via AA, UA, WN and DL. CHS CSA is less than 1M. CHS does have robust tourism and a Boeing factory...BUT...I suspect many of those 105,000 seats are empty.

For RDU-SFO...105,000 seats if flown every day RT. It would compete with 1-2 UA nonstops plus connections available via DL, AA, UA and WN. DL has focus at RDU and lots of DL FF....so one AS flight might struggle.

kcrwflyer

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:19 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:

Stopping is expensive and there's not really such thing as a short stop. You lose the plane for another hour or so. Adding a stop to RDU/CHS-west coast really diminishes the value of what is supposed to be nonstop service.

There isn't a lot of stuff that the airlines outright don't do anymore that would still be a good idea. Sure, WN does lots of one-stop "direct" stuff, but that's a different model than what you're looking at here.

Bluegrass60

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:05 pm

kcrwflyer wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

Stopping is expensive and there's not really such thing as a short stop. You lose the plane for another hour or so. Adding a stop to RDU/CHS-west coast really diminishes the value of what is supposed to be nonstop service.

There isn't a lot of stuff that the airlines outright don't do anymore that would still be a good idea. Sure, WN does lots of one-stop "direct" stuff, but that's a different model than what you're looking at here.

"Adding a stop would add time. Suspect 30 mins on the ground would be all that is needed. WN turned in 10-15 mins at many airports. Likely would add some fuel costs. Value to the CHS/RDU passenger would be an AS connection to SEA/SFO which would not be available otherwise. Value to AS...increases likelihood of profitability on thin routes; provide new flight options for pax in SEA/SFO/RDU/CHS and SDF."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos