Page 2 of 2

Re: New airline, two new destinations for SBA

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:56 pm
by ericm2031
OAK begins Oct 16 and LAS begins Oct 18. Timings seem a little odd

Re: New airline, two new destinations for SBA

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:39 pm
by Boston92
Looks like they plan on OAK-SBA-LAS-SBA-OAK for the aircraft.

Re: New airline, two new destinations for SBA

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:56 pm
by SBAer
ericm2031 wrote:
OAK begins Oct 16 and LAS begins Oct 18. Timings seem a little odd


10am flight to Vegas on Friday and no Saturday service seems like a swing and a miss.

Unrelated to this conversation, but local news guy on the radio here in SB said third destination announcement is upcoming and mentioned "Utah." Sounding like the returning of Delta is around the corner?

Re: New airline, two new destinations for SBA

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:28 pm
by ucdtim17
Nice to see another Bay Area-SBA option aside from the exorbitantly priced and frequently delayed/cancelled SFO-SBA UA service

Re: New airline, two new destinations for SBA

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:20 pm
by evank516
SBAer wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:
OAK begins Oct 16 and LAS begins Oct 18. Timings seem a little odd


10am flight to Vegas on Friday and no Saturday service seems like a swing and a miss.

Unrelated to this conversation, but local news guy on the radio here in SB said third destination announcement is upcoming and mentioned "Utah." Sounding like the returning of Delta is around the corner?


Seems like a fair guess. Unless it's G4 to Provo which I doubt.

Re: New airline, two new destinations for SBA

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:50 pm
by wedgetail737
Contour Airlines? Really? That seems like a business departure for Contour, since they fly mainly EAS flights. But that means two ERJ-135's out of OAK each day.

They are a good little airline. I flew on the OAK-CEC service with them. Friendly service and quite a bit of legroom.

Re: New airline, two new destinations for SBA

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:00 pm
by molitvic20

Re: New airline, two new destinations for SBA

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:14 pm
by diverdave
SBAer wrote:
Unrelated to this conversation, but local news guy on the radio here in SB said third destination announcement is upcoming and mentioned "Utah." Sounding like the returning of Delta is around the corner?


SBA-SLC is about 615 miles. I wonder if that fulls under the distance limit that DL is using for 50 seat regional jet service.

There's been so much new service added to SBA, that I would be surprised to see the widget return unless SkyWest needs a route for some aircraft.

Re: New airline, two new destinations for SBA

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:25 pm
by Boston92
diverdave wrote:
SBAer wrote:
Unrelated to this conversation, but local news guy on the radio here in SB said third destination announcement is upcoming and mentioned "Utah." Sounding like the returning of Delta is around the corner?


SBA-SLC is about 615 miles. I wonder if that fulls under the distance limit that DL is using for 50 seat regional jet service.

There's been so much new service added to SBA, that I would be surprised to see the widget return unless SkyWest needs a route for some aircraft.


SBA is a large hole in their network. There is plenty of available growth at SBA.

SBA has a large catchment area itself, but a I'd wager even a large portion of this catchment area utilize BUR/LAX most of the time. There are probably ~500 seats a day on motorcoach services that solely rely on this traffic to LAX from the SMX and SBA areas, in addition to those that drive themselves.

Re: New airline, two new destinations for SBA

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:13 am
by 910A
wedgetail737 wrote:
Contour Airlines? Really? That seems like a business departure for Contour, since they fly mainly EAS flights. But that means two ERJ-135's out of OAK each day.

They are a good little airline. I flew on the OAK-CEC service with them. Friendly service and quite a bit of legroom.

Agreed, I suppose the OAK-SBA route will prevent the plane from CEC to sit there idle all day at OAK. Hum, flight numbers #3201/3202 look like its a continuation of the CEC flight. CEC-OAK-SBA and back.

Re: New airline, two new destinations for SBA

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:40 am
by wedgetail737
SBAer wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:
OAK begins Oct 16 and LAS begins Oct 18. Timings seem a little odd


10am flight to Vegas on Friday and no Saturday service seems like a swing and a miss.

Unrelated to this conversation, but local news guy on the radio here in SB said third destination announcement is upcoming and mentioned "Utah." Sounding like the returning of Delta is around the corner?


Saturday is actually a relatively, low travel day for LAS since most people (and packages) include the Saturday-night stay. So I don't think Contour is too out-of-line not offering Saturday flights. I would fly them again to SBA.