Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Luisvalero
Topic Author

Why Easyjet/Ryanair don’t fly to Istanbul?

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:53 am

I’ve been days Ago in Istanbul and it was absolutely full of tourits, so i’m wondering why big european LCC aren’t there either in IST or most logically SAW. It’s one of the TOP 10 most visited cities in the world and quite close to european capitals.

santos

Re: Why Easyjet/Ryanair don’t fly to Istanbul?

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:11 am

I think Easyjet used to fly to SAW

Probably they can’t compete with TK, Atlas, Pegasus when it comes down to operation costs/price.

ChrisKen

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:23 am

Easyjet fly to the south western beach resorts. Smart money is it being due to Turkey being seen as a sunny beach destination rather than an Istanbul city break. There's more than enough flights into Istanbul to cater for those wishing to see there.

There's also heighten security concerns with Turkey in general.

[email protected]

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:24 am

EZY used to serve SAW
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

SCQ83

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:30 am

ChrisKen wrote:
Easyjet fly to the south western beach resorts. Smart money is it being due to Turkey being seen as a sunny beach destination rather than an Instanbul city break.

Istanbul was an increasingly popular city break before the downturn there. As other mentioned, easyJet flew to SAW from LGW, LTN and BSL (at least). TUIfly (then Jetairlfly) served BRU and CRL, Eurowings (then Germanwings) flew to DTM, SXF, CGN and STR, Wizzair to BUD and Vueling to BCN. Most of those (maybe with the exception of Germanwings which could be used by the VFR Turkish in Germany) catered to the European city breaker.

With the Istanbul bombings and the Turkish carriers flooding Europe with cheap fares via Istanbul, all that is gone.

Also, while I don't refute Istanbul was "absolutely full of tourists" as the OP mentions, if you look at the Top 10 nationalities visiting Istanbul, that includes Iran, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Russia and Ukraine. Those are not markets for easyJet/Ryanair.

ChrisKen

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:40 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Istanbul was an increasingly popular city break before the downturn there.

I can't disagree with that but I still believe the majority will think 'Med beach' before City break when Turkey is mentioned.

The current schedules would appear to back that up.

airbazar

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:17 pm

One reason is, despite TK being a full service carrier it has costs comparable to the LCC's. Also with TK's vast coverage of Europe combined with congestion restrictions at Istanbul airports, it makes it very difficult for LCCs who typically thrive on underserved, overpriced markets to compete.

Galwayman

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Probably because Pegasus’s flies Lon > Ist and has labour costs at fraction of FR or Easy. Also the full service options are very very reasonably priced

Easy used to fly to SAW

Blerg

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:18 pm

I think it also has to do with Pegasus being a lowcost airline which heavily relies on the transfers. These transfer passengers enable them to add additional frequencies to many destinations easyJet or Ryanair couldn't. Flexibility coupled with low fares seems to be the winning formula here.

ikolkyo

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:22 pm

Might also be an issue that IST is currently overcrowded.

Galwayman

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:25 pm

Blerg wrote:
I think it also has to do with Pegasus being a lowcost airline which heavily relies on the transfers. These transfer passengers enable them to add additional frequencies to many destinations easyJet or Ryanair couldn't. Flexibility coupled with low fares seems to be the winning formula here.

Exactly , Pegasus has an extremely hard to beat strategy - Lcc costs , amazing geographical location and transfers . Easy can’t compete , and FR aren’t interested

lightsaber

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Exactly , Pegasus has an extremely hard to beat strategy - Lcc costs , amazing geographical location and transfers . Easy can’t compete , and FR aren’t interested

Bingo! Transfers are key for frequency.

In other topics posters want to exclude discussing international to international connections. But they are a way to seed flights. Passengers today demand frequency and are willing to pay for it. P2P commands a yeild premium. So to/from Istanbul Pegasus will be a preferred airline. If they provide connections others do not compete P2P or do not offer competitive times, a win for Pegasus.

Modern IT infrastructure reduces the cost of connections. High frequency allows for recovery from missed connections.

For example, I often cannot make an early non-stop with my kids and one child cannot sleep on aircraft, so often I must connect. But if I can fly direct...

FR and U2 need to figure out how to offer cheap connections. Their model is last generation LCC. If you add a service customers buy at a profit band your competitor doesn't.... Then you have no competition.

Many LCCs have figured out how to connect cheaply. So just as WN had to evolve it's model (connections and adding large airports), so will the EU LCCs.

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

mercure1

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:43 pm

One issue is bilaterals.

While most EU nations have quite liberal bilaterals with Turkey, carriers cannot serve Turkey outside of where their AOC is based. So incase of Ryanair it would be Ireland and Easyjet where ever its AOC is based these days.

EU and Turkey are working towards a unified essentially open-skies bilateral, but until such happens carriers are limited in the routes they can operate (and in some cases frequencies also)
mercure f-wtcc

PatrickZ80

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:24 pm

mercure1 wrote:
One issue is bilaterals.

While most EU nations have quite liberal bilaterals with Turkey, carriers cannot serve Turkey outside of where their AOC is based. So incase of Ryanair it would be Ireland and Easyjet where ever its AOC is based these days.

EU and Turkey are working towards a unified essentially open-skies bilateral, but until such happens carriers are limited in the routes they can operate (and in some cases frequencies also)

This is true. Turkey is not part of the European open-skies agreement but instead relies on bilaterals between countries. This makes it harder for European airlines to serve Turkey, they have to get special permits for each route they want to serve. Unlike routes within Europe which they can just start as they please. Together with strong competition from Turkish carriers and a shrinking demand this makes European LCCs can't fly to Turkey profitably.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos