Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jplatts
Topic Author

Upcoming WN schedule extension on 8/30

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:15 pm

The upcoming WN schedule extension on August 30th will extend the WN flight schedule from March 7, 2019 to April 5, 2019. This upcoming WN schedule extension will cover the Spring Break period.

WN will have more room to add more nonstop flights out of LAX in 2019 since Terminal 1 renovations at LAX are scheduled to be completed by the end of this year. Will WN announce any new nonstop routes out of LAX on August 30th?

What new routes is WN likely to announce on August 30th? What WN seasonal nonstop routes are likely to resume on March 7, 2019? What other WN schedule changes are likely to be announced on August 30th?

Balloonchaser

Re: Upcoming WN schedule extension on 8/30

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:29 pm

Hawaii
Caribbean
KLAS from KISP

FA9295

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:31 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
Hawaii
Caribbean
KLAS from KISP

Lots of people have been saying LAS-ISP on here. Seems plausible considering some of the other way out there nonstops that WN has from LAS...

barney captain

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:42 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
Hawaii
Caribbean
KLAS from KISP

HI will be a separate announcement - don't look for it on the 30th.
Southeast Of Disorder

jplatts
Topic Author

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:44 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:
KLAS from KISP
Lots of people have been saying LAS-ISP on here. Seems plausible considering some of the other way out there nonstops that WN has from LAS...

I agree that WN could possibly bring back LAS-ISP nonstop service, and in addition, WN could also add LAS-CVG and LAS-MEM nonstop service. WN could also extend LAS-MSP nonstop service to daily, year-round nonstop service.

There was an article titled "Southwest Airlines CEO sees growth for carrier in Las Vegas" that was published on the Las Vegas Review Journal's website earlier this year, and that article could be found at https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/southwest-airlines-ceo-sees-growth-for-carrier-in-las-vegas/, and that article had said that WN is planning on further expansion at LAS.

What other nonstop routes could WN add out of LAS?

WaywardMemphian

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:57 pm

jplatts wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:
KLAS from KISP

I agree that WN could possibly bring back LAS-ISP nonstop service, and in addition, WN could also add LAS-CVG and LAS-MEM nonstop service. WN could also extend LAS-MSP nonstop service to daily, year-round nonstop service.

There was an article titled "Southwest Airlines CEO sees growth for carrier in Las Vegas" that was published on the Las Vegas Review Journal's website earlier this year, and that article could be found at https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/southwest-airlines-ceo-sees-growth-for-carrier-in-las-vegas/, and that article had said that WN is planning on further expansion at LAS.

What other nonstop routes could WN add out of LAS?

Well you named the two that comes to my mind. Allegaint seems to be flying it 4x weekly a lot and without any connecting plus Frontier continues their nonstops as well.

But... with DAL going 3x and Denver starting up in Oct I doubt we see MEM/LAS this go around. MEM does seem like it should be in line for it. Can't think of a larger WN market that far west to not have it.

727LOVER

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:04 pm

Excluding Hawaii, is WN done with new domestic markets?

They've gone into the last large market, CVG. They got rid of FL cities they didn't want. So domestically, are they done?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

WeatherPilot

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:07 pm

SYR please.

jplatts
Topic Author

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:09 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
Caribbean

I am surprised that WN hasn't yet added HOU-PUJ nonstop service with HOU being one of the major international gateways for WN and with PUJ already having nonstop service to ATL, BWI, MDW, and FLL on WN. I think that the addition of HOU-PUJ nonstop service will likely be one of the next international adds that WN will make at HOU.

WN is also still expanding domestically at HOU, and WN could add nonstop service to HOU from CVG, CLE, DTW, MSP, ONT, and SFO.

barney captain

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:24 pm

727LOVER wrote:

They've gone into the last large market, CVG. They got rid of FL cities they didn't want. So domestically, are they done?

By "domestic" I assume you're asking about the lower 48, because I suspect Alaska isn't too far in the future. Other than that, FAT and maybe Montana (possibly BIL) might happen one day.
Southeast Of Disorder

jplatts
Topic Author

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:29 pm

barney captain wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

By "domestic" I assume you're asking about the lower 48, because I suspect Alaska isn't too far in the future. Other than that, FAT and maybe Montana (possibly BIL) might happen one day.

While WN hasn't yet announced plans to serve ANC, there are some articles that said that WN is considering adding service to ANC. There was also an presentation given by David Harvey, the Managing Director of Business Development at WN, at the 2016 ACI-NA JumpStart Air Service Development Conference that said that Anchorage, Cincinnati, Honolulu, and Kahului are the top 4 domestic markets that weren't served by WN back in 2016.

WNflyer1523

Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:40 pm

I'd really love to see more ISP stuff. Please. Besides a couple frequencies, WN hasn't added a new destination to ISP since the mid 2000's.

Cubsrule

Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:55 pm

jplatts wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:
Caribbean

I am surprised that WN hasn't yet added HOU-PUJ nonstop service with HOU being one of the major international gateways for WN and with PUJ already having nonstop service to ATL, BWI, MDW, and FLL on WN. I think that the addition of HOU-PUJ nonstop service will likely be one of the next international adds that WN will make at HOU

Remember, for the Caribbean HOU largely collects passengers from the western half of the country. Those folks, by and large, have better access to Hawaii and Mexico than to the Caribbean. What advantage does PUJ have in that sort of market?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

mtnwest1979

Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:59 pm

With rise in fuel, perhaps a few route cuts as well. Doubt anything of real consequence will be added.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

jplatts
Topic Author

Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:52 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Remember, for the Caribbean HOU largely collects passengers from the western half of the country. Those folks, by and large, have better access to Hawaii and Mexico than to the Caribbean. What advantage does PUJ have in that sort of market?

WN currently has nonstop service to MBJ and SJU in the Caribbean from HOU. WN also will resume Saturday-only seasonal HOU-AUA nonstop service on November 10th.

UA does have weekend-only nonstop service to PUJ from IAH, and AA and SY both have sesaonal nonstop service to PUJ from DFW. DL and SY also serve PUJ nonstop from MSP. There is some demand for service to PUJ from Texas, Minnesota, and places further west, or AA, DL, UA, and SY wouldn't otherwise be serving PUJ nonstop from Texas or Minnesota.

There might be enough demand for WN to add HOU-PUJ nonstop service on a seasonal basis since there is nonstop service to PUJ from IAH, DFW, and MSP. There are some leisure travelers in Texas and states further west who prefer to fly on WN over other airlines. WN would also be able to connect passengers to PUJ from at least ABQ, AUS, DAL, DEN, ELP, LAS, LAX, MAF, OKC, PHX, and TUL through HOU if it added HOU-PUJ nonstop service.

rj777

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:40 pm

Maybe they'll add more stuff from MKE

SyracuseAvGeek

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:55 pm

SYR for domestic
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

WeatherPilot

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:25 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
SYR for domestic

SYR passenger numbers have been looking great this year. I'd be surprised if they DIDN'T come to SYR by the end of this year.

jplatts
Topic Author

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:30 am

727LOVER wrote:

While PAE is the only new destination in the contiguous U.S. that will be added by WN in the near future, there are a few additional domestic markets in Alaska and the U.S. Virgin Islands that WN could add service to. WN will also still add many new nonstop routes between existing WN destinations within the contiguous U.S.

TYSflyer

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:54 am

WeatherPilot wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
SYR for domestic

SYR passenger numbers have been looking great this year. I'd be surprised if they DIDN'T come to SYR by the end of this year.

No offense but just about every similar sized market can say the same thing right now. This country has been experiencing very impressive passenger numbers recently and many airports have also been posting record growth numbers. WN seems very focused on Hawaii and until that comes to fruition I doubt we will see any other new markets launched.

jplatts
Topic Author

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:12 am

WN could resume CVG-PHX nonstop service and add CVG-MCO nonstop service. There are some markets similar in size to or smaller than CVG such as ALB, AUS, BUF, CLE, CMH, BDL, IND, MCI, MKE, BNA, and PIT that currently have significantly more O&D demand to MCO than CVG does. WN can likely stimulate additional demand for CVG-MCO service if it added CVG-MCO nonstop service since some other similarly-sized markets have significantly more O&D demand to MCO than CVG does. WN also would be able to more easily connect passengers to FLL from CVG if it added CVG-MCO nonstop service.

TucsonDave

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:18 am

WeatherPilot wrote:
SYR please.

SYR is long overdue.

midway7

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:27 am

Hoping for something new to my new home airport PDX.....

ADrum23

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:33 am

midway7 wrote:

I wish my airport (BNA) would get connected to PDX. Someday......

usflyguy

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:34 am

mtnwest1979 wrote:
With rise in fuel, perhaps a few route cuts as well. Doubt anything of real consequence will be added.

except WN is hedged, no?
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

FA9295

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:59 am

ADrum23 wrote:
midway7 wrote:

I wish my airport (BNA) would get connected to PDX. Someday......

This seems like a WN kind of route. I know that both airports have extensively pushed for this route, so now it's only just a matter of time...

wnflyguy

Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:52 am

PAE and Hawaii are delayed starting pending the FAA review. So I don't expect anything else from that area. LGB staying at 11 flights until end of the year. In September LGB January extinction will be add or when the additional slots are permanently awarded. Next release will be normal seasonal shifts with seasonal additions added. Nothing shocking excepted.
Also Boeing slowed down MAX deliveries so that's going to have a impact. The followings release goes hand in hand with the SNA slot allocation so that could have big adjustments.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

aeropix

Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:37 am

barney captain wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

I suspect Alaska isn't too far in the future.

Ironically, Southwest did serve Anchorage briefly in the mid 1990's after the acquisition of Morris Air. Although they never used the Southwest brand on the route, Southwest employees (including myself at the time) could use their travel benefits on the flight, and I seem to remember selling "interline" tickets that connected the Morris flights with the rest of the network, so in an oblique way it counts, and I am surprised at the long absence from the market since then.

southwest1675

Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:45 pm

BNA-PDX seems to be overdue. BNA-IND is also a likely route sometime in the future.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

flymco753

Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:49 pm

DTW-MCO either will be scheduled to end in April or will stay Saturday only year round.

TPA-DTW returns for spring break.

I can see RSW-DTW happening too.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

wnflyguy

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:33 pm

Rumor WN may use some excess capacity slots/Seats available in SNA.
Speculation has them making SNA-ABQ a daily flight November-February.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

jplatts
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:30 am

Even though ATL is currently the only destination that WN serves nonstop from RIC, WN could add RIC-MDW nonstop service. RIC is in a big enough market to support nonstop service to MDW on WN since WN already has nonstop service to MDW from East Coast markets smaller than RIC such as ALB and BUF. WN would also be able to connect passengers to additional destinations from RIC if it added RIC-MDW nonstop service.

mtnwest1979

Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:31 am

Ugh, WN "could" do a zillion things. Really need a synopsis of possibilities?
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

stlgph

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:08 am

Here's hoping for that long awaited Spokane - Corpus Christi.

Absolutely unbelievable this hasn't been added.

jplatts wrote:
Even though ATL is currently the only destination that WN serves nonstop from RIC, WN could add RIC-MDW nonstop service. RIC is in a big enough market to support nonstop service to MDW on WN since WN already has nonstop service to MDW from East Coast markets smaller than RIC such as ALB and BUF. WN would also be able to connect passengers to additional destinations from RIC if it added RIC-MDW nonstop service.

Amazing! And depending on the day's flight route, from Richmond they could fly over Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Columbus on the way to Chicago and wave at everyone below to everyone else flying into Midway from those cities to make connections westbound. Such possibilities!
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jbpdx

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:27 am

stlgph wrote:

Absolutely unbelievable this hasn't been added.

Rumor is that Southwest has lost out to Frontier for the coveted Colorado Springs-Tallahassee nonstop.
^

jplatts
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:37 am

stlgph wrote:

WN is unlikely to ever add GEG-CRP nonstop service. I also do not expect WN to add nonstop service to any Texas markets out of GEG anytime soon.

While I could see WN possibly bringing back CRP-DAL nonstop service at some point, I do not expect WN to add nonstop service out of CRP to any destinations outside of Texas. There is also less demand for WN service in CRP than in any other market in the contiguous U.S. that is currently served by WN except for GSP.

stl07

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:48 am

Rumors at WN for a BLV PAP route
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Balloonchaser

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:02 am

WNflyer1523 wrote:
I'd really love to see more ISP stuff. Please. Besides a couple frequencies, WN hasn't added a new destination to ISP since the mid 2000's.

In reality, SW could chase F9 out of LIMA by competing for their airport back..

ISP-MDW (instead of ORD)
ISP-SJU
ISP-ATL
ISP-RSW
ISP-DEN
ISP-LAS (Just Because)

Jshank83

Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:04 am

wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

They ran STL-SNA over both holiday periods last year, it would be nice to see it come back for that again.

N383SW

Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:18 am

Jshank83 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

They ran STL-SNA over both holiday periods last year, it would be nice to see it come back for that again.

Didn’t we lose the flight originally because of the SNA slot allocation?

barney captain

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:18 am

jplatts wrote:
stlgph wrote:

WN is unlikely to ever add GEG-CRP nonstop service. I also do not expect WN to add nonstop service to any Texas markets out of GEG anytime soon.

While I could see WN possibly bringing back CRP-DAL nonstop service at some point, I do not expect WN to add nonstop service out of CRP to any destinations outside of Texas. There is also less demand for WN service in CRP than in any other market in the contiguous U.S. that is currently served by WN except for GSP.

/Sarcasm. :roll:
Southeast Of Disorder

jplatts
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:29 am

Balloonchaser wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:

ISP-MDW (instead of ORD), ISP-SJU, ISP-ATL, ISP-RSW, ISP-DEN, ISP-LAS (Just Because)

In addition to MDW, SJU, ATL, RSW, DEN, and LAS, WN could also add nonstop service to BNA and STL out of ISP.

ibthebigd

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:59 am

I hope IND gets some LUV

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wnflyguy

Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:03 pm

N383SW wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Didn’t we lose the flight originally because of the SNA slot allocation?

Yes but usually at the end of each year SNA has excess capacity available. The airport always hold back some capacity so it doesn't break it's allowed passengers cap agreement with the surrounding cities. Add this to seasonal shift some airlines cut capacity by not using their fully awarded allocation.
The airport will offer airline some seasonal excess capacity to keep up the target budgeted goal for the airport. Historically only WN in the past has added the additional capacity.
Flyguy

evank516

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:00 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:

ISP-MDW (instead of ORD)
ISP-SJU
ISP-ATL
ISP-RSW
ISP-DEN
ISP-LAS (Just Because)

If WN announces ISP-ATL, Delta will do it the next day. I've seen similar things happen in the same Metro Area.

It won't happen this run, but I'm sort of hoping to see them re-start EYW sometime soon. Just waiting on some ops standards updates from the WN side and EYW should be good to go again with the airport improvements taken care of.

evank516

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:01 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:

ISP-MDW (instead of ORD)
ISP-SJU
ISP-ATL
ISP-RSW
ISP-DEN
ISP-LAS (Just Because)

If WN announces ISP-ATL, Delta will do it the next day. I've seen similar things happen in the same Metro Area. It won't happen though.

ISP-LAS is one I can see. They ran it in the past, and with market conditions improving I could see that one coming back.

It won't happen this run, but I'm sort of hoping to see them re-start EYW sometime soon. Just waiting on some ops standards updates from the WN side and EYW should be good to go again with the airport improvements taken care of.

Balloonchaser

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:29 pm

evank516 wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:

ISP-MDW (instead of ORD)
ISP-SJU
ISP-ATL
ISP-RSW
ISP-DEN
ISP-LAS (Just Because)

If WN announces ISP-ATL, Delta will do it the next day. I've seen similar things happen in the same Metro Area. It won't happen though.

ISP-LAS is one I can see. They ran it in the past, and with market conditions improving I could see that one coming back.

Yep. We would love to see Delta at LIMA ;)

ATL could run fine on 2 carriers (SW and DL.. F9 would probably pull out of ISP-ATL)

evank516

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:54 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

ISP-MDW (instead of ORD)
ISP-SJU
ISP-ATL
ISP-RSW
ISP-DEN
ISP-LAS (Just Because)

Yep. We would love to see Delta at LIMA ;)

ATL could run fine on 2 carriers (SW and DL.. F9 would probably pull out of ISP-ATL)

So would I considering I live in Westbury and want to use an airport with cheaper parking :D

Coronado990

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:26 pm

ISP-LGB non-stop. Long Island to Long Beach.
Cornucopia

fraspotter

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:42 pm

Already served by WN (barely) but would be nice if they stopped neglecting RIC with some new routes that don't rely on ATL so much.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos