Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DCA-ROCguy

Re: Upcoming WN schedule extension on 8/30

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:35 pm

BWI-ROC shows three nonstop flights again in the schedule extension. It shows down to two in February, so apparently that was a temporary reduction.
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

SurfandSnow

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:31 pm

Wow! I was expecting to see STL-PVR/SJD added before any STL-Caribbean services. I'm pleasantly surprised to see MKE-CUN and BWI-SJD come back (I figured BWI-SJD was a goner once MDW-SJD got added).
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

wnflyguy

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:50 pm

LAX-CUN being cut down to weekend service. Went from 2 daily > 1 Daily > Sat/Sun service. I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually gets dropped altogether.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

Buffalomatt1027

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:44 am

WN not expanding in Buffalo / BNIA is kind of a bummer......

dolphinflyer

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:59 am

I’m guessing that a lot of WN’s net available capacity during 1H2019 will be devoted to the new Hawaii flying. Each one of those round trip flights will require a full aircraft unit. With four initial California gateway airports and four Hawaiian islands to serve that means up to 16 aircraft devoted to transpac and inter-island flying. The upcoming couple of additional Southwest schedule extensions are bound to disappoint most mainland US stations.

lat41

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:22 pm

WNflyer1523 wrote:
Nothing significant from ISP.
I feel bad for MHT. MDW is down to 1x daily and so is TPA.

Just more of the trend that Manchester has had to sacrifice full flights that people were used to paying a premium for in order for WN to bolster BOS, where the competition is hammering them.

stl07

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:05 pm

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:

Why, they seem to be satisfied with service there since they didn't make any major cuts.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Buffalomatt1027

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:28 am

stl07 wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:

Why, they seem to be satisfied with service there since they didn't make any major cuts.

Every route WN has from BNIA is VERY popular. Orlando, Tampa, Phoenix, Chicago Baltimore (WN hub).... all have done VERY well. Lots of Canadians come down to fly to warmer destinations. That is why I thought they would expand and try new routes to see how they do. St. Louis, Nashville, or some other destinations.

Jshank83

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:34 am

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:

Every route WN has from BNIA is VERY popular. Orlando, Tampa, Phoenix, Chicago Baltimore (WN hub).... all have done VERY well. Lots of Canadians come down to fly to warmer destinations. That is why I thought they would expand and try new routes to see how they do. St. Louis, Nashville, or some other destinations.

The airport has said they want STL so maybe at some point. Not surprised it wasn't this one though. This one was going to focus on warm weather for spring break. EAst/West bound doesn't help with that much.

phllax

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:48 am

wnflyguy wrote:
LAX-CUN being cut down to weekend service. Went from 2 daily > 1 Daily > Sat/Sun service. I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually gets dropped altogether.

Flyguy

It's too crowded. Today alone there are 6 flights, 2 of which are red-eyes for a total of 1012 seats. There's the WN 737 (143), Interjet 320 (150) 4 739's (3x DL at 180 each, 1 UA at 179). Alaska/Virgin and AA are gone. Even UA has trimmed the schedule, as they also usually operate a red-eye.

Buffalomatt1027

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:02 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

The airport has said they want STL so maybe at some point. Not surprised it wasn't this one though. This one was going to focus on warm weather for spring break. EAst/West bound doesn't help with that much.

Exactly warm weather destinations..... cater to the Canadian passengers that come over the board and fly out of Buffalo. Sunwing has also catered to this with flights to Cancun, Jamaica, and Punta Cana during the winter. F9 with flights to florida too.

Again, WN does well in Buffalo. I am sure in the distant future they will expand their routes.

dbo861

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:48 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
FYI.
We are currently accepting air reservations through April 7, 2019. On September 27, 2018 we will open our schedule for sale through June 8, 2019. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-sc ... TSCHEDULES

It looks like they've already pushed the next schedule extension back a month and a half to November 15.

SteveXC500

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:00 pm

That's a big shift to go out 1.5 months.

SANFan

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:14 pm

Hopefully, the delay is somehow related to Hawaii and/or PAE announcements and start-ups. Since many of us are expecting (or at least hoping) both of those new routes to see some action in the next couple of months, WN could be giving themselves some breathing room to accommodate necessary changes to the network to manage those new routes.

:crossfingers:
bb

mtnwest1979

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:15 pm

Uh, 9/27 until 11/15 is just shy of 3 weeks, not a month and a half..
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

dbo861

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:42 pm

mtnwest1979 wrote:

There's a whole month in there called October.

cledaybuck

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:45 pm

dbo861 wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:

Yep. It's number 10. You know that one between 9 and 11. :D
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

enilria

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:58 pm

BTW, to use a Beltway term...this schedule change was the biggest NothingBurger ever.

wnflyguy

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:59 pm

[url][/url]
SANFan wrote:
Hopefully, the delay is somehow related to Hawaii and/or PAE announcements and start-ups. Since many of us are expecting (or at least hoping) both of those new routes to see some action in the next couple of months, WN could be giving themselves some breathing room to accommodate necessary changes to the network to manage those new routes.

bb

According to sources WN will have an Hawaii update sometime are 2:00PM (Herb Time) today on it's employee Web page. Sources saying that's why the next schedule update pushed back to November 15.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

mtnwest1979

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:21 pm

dbo861 wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:

HAHAH UGH! Stupid me. Yeah, and it is even my favorite month. I am used to the metric year, with only 10 months. October and March are omitted.
Cripes, Anyway, prob due to HI flying. IMO.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

barney captain

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:05 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
[url][/url]
SANFan wrote:

bb

According to sources WN will have an Hawaii update sometime are 2:00PM (Herb Time) today on it's employee Web page. Sources saying that's why the next schedule update pushed back to November 15.

Flyguy

It was an "Ask Gary" video piece that basically reiterated we're still on track to start selling and hopefully flying by fall. Everything hinges on the FAA approval
which is on schedule. He emphasized that "if" it slips into the first quarter of 19' it's no great issue.
Southeast Of Disorder

Silver1SWA

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:05 pm

barney captain wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
[url][/url]
SANFan wrote:

bb

Flyguy

It was an "Ask Gary" video piece that basically reiterated we're still on track to start selling and hopefully flying by fall. Everything hinges on the FAA approval
which is on schedule. He emphasized that "if" it slips into the first quarter of 19' it's no great issue.

Man I was hoping for something more concrete and specific because these vague updates have been very difficult for some of us.
Last edited by Silver1SWA on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

barney captain

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Ha, that depends who you ask. I fully understand the situation but these same vague responses have been really frustrating for a few of us.

Believe me I get it - I can't wait to do that flying. But it's very hard to be specific when you're dealing with the FAA - they have zero timeline.
Southeast Of Disorder

AirFiero

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:53 pm

mtnwest1979 wrote:
dbo861 wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:

HAHAH UGH! Stupid me. Yeah, and it is even my favorite month. I am used to the metric year, with only 10 months. October and March are omitted.
Cripes, Anyway, prob due to HI flying. IMO.

Are you one of them Canadians on metric time? ;)

wnflyguy

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:01 am

Yep as stated above it was basically the same thing WN been peddling so far this year.
Update is no update waiting on the FAA. I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming MX TA Vote which isn't likely to pass has something more to do with the slowness than the FAA.
But that's just my speculation.
While I know they hopefully want to start right away.
I'm gonna guess more like a May or June start now.
Please please WN prove me wrong.

Flyguy

SANFan

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:15 am

Aww, poo!

Okay, well then... Any updates on PAE anyone? Oh yeah, that's right -- "waiting on the FAA".... But has anyone heard anything recently?

bb

dbo861

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:52 pm

dbo861 wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
FYI.
We are currently accepting air reservations through April 7, 2019. On September 27, 2018 we will open our schedule for sale through June 8, 2019. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

It looks like they've already pushed the next schedule extension back a month and a half to November 15.

The website is back to showing September 27 as the date of the next schedule extension. I curious why the back and forth.

wnflyguy

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:43 pm

dbo861 wrote:
dbo861 wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
FYI.

The website is back to showing September 27 as the date of the next schedule extension. I curious why the back and forth.

Well there's a lot of speculation about what's going on. In the past I would post everything just for good conversation and fun. But I always seem to get burned at the stake for doing that.
So after sifting thru all the conspiracy theories I decided to post the two I like the best since it includes Hawaii and LGB.

Release moved back to September 27 because that's the planned Hawaii schedule release.
Hawaii service will start Saturday October 27 giving WN 30 days to sale seats.
Launch service will be small with 8 daily flights.
OAK will have 2 HNL and 2 OGG.
SAN will have 1 HNL and 1 OGG.
SMF will have 1 HNL.
SJC will have 1 HNL.

November 17 will see KOA added.
December 15 will see LIH added ,LAX service starts and limited inter Island.

Aircraft dedicated to Hawaii estimated 16 to 18 by December.

I truly don't see Hawaii before spring 2019 now.
But if I wanna have hopes for an earlier start date I like the way this one sounds.
This is from just another airline nerd guessing.
Because anyone from WN quickly replies waiting for the FAA were right on schedule response.

LGB rumors have Swirled that JetBlue has officially released the slots back to the city.
LGB will award the slots to others on September 25.
As of now nobody wants them except WN.
If WN gets all 11 slots in addition to the 2 xtra SMF and 3 LAS flights. WN will add 4 SJC and 2 daily DEN.

Enjoy Flyguy

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos