Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

believeinflight
Topic Author

Emirates expansion in N. America

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:12 pm

What would be Emirates' next destination in North America? My predictions are one of the following-

Calgary
Denver
Vancouver
Detroit
Philadelphia
DC

787fan8

Re: Emirates expansion in N. America

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:16 pm

I think my Andrew Lincoln quote pretty much says all to where I want them to fly to next.
Last edited by 787fan8 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

RJNUT

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:17 pm

they already serve DC

believeinflight
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:18 pm

787fan8 wrote:
I think my quote pretty much says where I want them to fly to next.

How could I miss ATL? Thanks!

Bigant0408

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:26 pm

As a Philly native and PHL fanatic I say PHL but I feel they would need to either purchase 787 or 350 or fly the few 772 they have. I can picture Detroit due to middle eastern communities. Emirates already flies to IAD. As for Canadian destinations Vancouver is possible. Atlanta and Denver would be the only other destinations I can thing with larger market feed that could possible work.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

iseeyyc

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:28 pm

believeinflight wrote:
What would be Emirates' next destination in North America? My predictions are one of the following-

Calgary

Somehow I think you share one of my pastimes.

adamblang

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:38 pm

iseeyyc wrote:
believeinflight wrote:

Calgary

Well stated iseeyyc.

748iDEN

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:45 pm

I would hope that they begin to serve DEN soon as I think the market could support it pretty well. It would also round out the intercontinental options at DEN and should be viable for EK. ATL is also an excellent idea but I worry that there would be so much push back from DL that it wouldn’t end up happening, almost like an unspoken agreement.

berari

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:47 pm

believeinflight wrote:

Calgary
Denver
Vancouver
Detroit
Philadelphia
DC

Calgary and Vancouver at the mercy of the bilaterals. The renwal allowed for more expansion but they will likely increase YYZ and that's that.

DC already served at IAD.

ER757

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:47 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
As a Philly native and PHL fanatic I say PHL but I feel they would need to either purchase 787 or 350 or fly the few 772 they have. I can picture Detroit due to middle eastern communities. Emirates already flies to IAD. As for Canadian destinations Vancouver is possible. Atlanta and Denver would be the only other destinations I can thing with larger market feed that could possible work.

They've got an MOU for 42 787's so maybe PHL will be one of the future destinations?
My guess would be ATL for the next North American city though - hard for me to believe they aren't going there yet.

klm617

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:48 pm

As long as Trump is in the Whitehouse it's going to be status quo for the ME3.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

jmmadrid

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:52 pm

Canadian destinations are not going to happen in the near future thanks to the Air Canada lobby. It took the canadian government many years to grant additional rights to the United Arab Emirates and they might feel it is enough for now.

Next in the list should be Montreal, but again, EK will have to wait until the canadian government have another brief seizure of common sense.

Happy to be proved wrong.
Don’t confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

dodgers702

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 pm

believeinflight wrote:

Calgary
Denver
Vancouver
Detroit
Philadelphia
DC

You forgot to add Mexico City (it is technically part of N. America)…. :D

Bigant0408

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:36 pm

ER757 wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

They've got an MOU for 42 787's so maybe PHL will be one of the future destinations?
My guess would be ATL for the next North American city though - hard for me to believe they aren't going there yet.

Yea a 787 would work since QR 350 fits well for PHL. I know for ATL they did mention of looking into when Delta pulled out but who knows. Emirates def has been quiet on the North American front besides recent capacity upgrade to Toronto.

neomax

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:43 pm

dodgers702 wrote:
believeinflight wrote:

Calgary
Denver
Vancouver
Detroit
Philadelphia
DC

And probably the next one to be added.

Miami

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:54 pm

Isn't QR struggling at PHL?

Don't see EK flying there anytime soon.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Polot

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:57 pm

EK is ordering 787-10 for “regional” ops. You are not going to see them in North America, they can’t even make that distance.

Bigant0408

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:01 pm

Miami wrote:
Isn't QR struggling at PHL?

Don't see EK flying there anytime soon.

I know when they first started PHL service they struggled and IMO I think it major reason was from a crappy 10am departure from Philly. Not sure how they doing now since they changed to evening departure but based of summer flights planes look 85-90% full. I agree tho it might take long while if EK does decide on service

PHLspecial

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:11 pm

EK could experiment with the 772 with service to PHL. Though Vancouver or Mexico City is probably selected first before PHL.

LH658

Cancun, Mexico City, Havana, Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Montreal, Philadelphia, Detroit, Minneapolis, PHX, Denver, Atlanta. Some of these seem more likely then others.

LH658

Las Vegas

scbriml

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:32 pm

Polot wrote:
EK is ordering 787-10 for “regional” ops. You are not going to see them in North America, they can’t even make that distance.

Correct.

The only time you'll see an EK 787 in the USA will be for flight testing and then delivery.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

AIRTRANSAT767

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:40 pm

Go CYVR and CYYC !!
i love air transat and fan all boeing

dfwjim1

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:41 pm

Nobody has mentioned Austin yet...

boeing737max

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:46 pm

Polot wrote:

They have conversion rights for ordering the -9. It would allow EK to enter long haul markets where the incoming 777-8 is simply too big.

Arion640

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:57 pm

scbriml wrote:
Polot wrote:

Correct.

The only time you'll see an EK 787 in the USA will be for flight testing and then delivery.

Unless they eventually convert to the -9 and anything is possible...

Arion640

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:58 pm

berari wrote:
believeinflight wrote:

Calgary
Denver
Vancouver
Detroit
Philadelphia
DC

Calgary and Vancouver at the mercy of the bilaterals. The renwal allowed for more expansion but they will likely increase YYZ and that's that.

I think they have increased YYZ from 3 to 6 weekly.

I’m not sure how Canada can be claim to be so liberal but won’t let its privatised airline compete properly.
Last edited by Arion640 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

airzona11

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:58 pm

boeing737max wrote:
Polot wrote:

They have conversion rights for ordering the -9. It would allow EK to enter long haul markets where the incoming 777-8 is simply too big.

Long and thin does not work for the EK model. I doubt they would use 789s for long and thin.

Planes4you

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:37 pm

LH658 wrote:
Cancun, Mexico City, Havana, Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Montreal, Philadelphia, Detroit, Minneapolis, PHX, Denver, Atlanta. Some of these seem more likely then others.

If anything PHX and CUN are the least likely.Seriously what aircraft would they send to those airports.

dcajet

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:19 am

dodgers702 wrote:
believeinflight wrote:

Calgary
Denver
Vancouver
Detroit
Philadelphia
DC

EK is due to start DXB-BCN-MEX in November.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

dodgers702

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:23 am

dcajet wrote:
dodgers702 wrote:
believeinflight wrote:

Calgary
Denver
Vancouver
Detroit
Philadelphia
DC

Thanks for the info. I knew they wanted to start flights by years end but didnt know they had mentioned a specific month they would like to start... :smile:

dcajet

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:28 am

dodgers702 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
dodgers702 wrote:

Thanks for the info. I knew they wanted to start flights by years end but didnt know they had mentioned a specific month they would like to start... :smile:

They signed today a code share agreement with Interjet: https://newsbeezer.com/mexico/interjet- ... nterlinea/

EK's entry into the MEX market has been a bit of a good Mexican soap opera, as AM, that had announced it would be resuming MEX-BCN service withdrew its plans when EK was given authority for the flight to BCN.

jodieellis

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:04 am

believeinflight wrote:

Calgary
Denver
Vancouver
Detroit
Philadelphia
DC

They already fly to DC, but maybe suggested is SJC or PHX or maybe MSP?

portcolumbus

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:54 am

LH658 wrote:
Las Vegas

Would love to see it but not optimistic. QR announced service, pushed it back and still hasn't started.

ninspeed

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:06 am

iseeyyc wrote:
believeinflight wrote:

Calgary

As much as I would love to see this myself as a YYC guy, I also know that they would have a hard time filling a 2 or 3x weekly flight. Even BA is pulling daily service soon. The economy here will really need to boom again if they come to YYC..

EChid

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:07 am

jmmadrid wrote:
Canadian destinations are not going to happen in the near future thanks to the Air Canada lobby. It took the canadian government many years to grant additional rights to the United Arab Emirates and they might feel it is enough for now.

Next in the list should be Montreal, but again, EK will have to wait until the canadian government have another brief seizure of common sense.

Happy to be proved wrong.

Perfectly stated. This is correct, and EK has already announced that they're making use of the broadened bilateral to increase the frequency of their flights to YYZ. So, nothing in Canada for now. I'm not sure why YUL isn't first on the list of Canadian airport options in this thread, but it probably would be if they ever could. Second largest market in Canada that has been a reasonable success for both TK and QR, I believe.

emiratesdriver

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:53 am

With over 40 pilot resignations in July and only 15 replacements I think on balance the posters on here need to be speculating what routes will be cut or reduced to allow more capacity into the US.
In real terms the pilot establishment at EK has shrunk by around 10% per airframe in the last 24 months so it begs the question how will it be crewed when pilots are at max hours for the month and the year.
It is also worth noting that the website “professional pilots rumour network” has been blocked in the UAE as it is viewed by the management at EK as unhelpful to recruitment efforts, for the most part as the posts there are frighteningly accurate in their content.
Just a few facts to balance the speculation.

goboeing

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:33 am

emiratesdriver wrote:
It is also worth noting that the website “professional pilots rumour network” has been blocked in the UAE as it is viewed by the management at EK as unhelpful to recruitment efforts, for the most part as the posts there are frighteningly accurate in their content.

The brains of those in charge of making that decision must be the size of cashews.

Hmm, I wonder if the pilot group collectively often leaves the UAE with their laptops and tablets, and logs onto wifi on a layover where they are free to browse and post as they wish.

Unreal!

pabloeing

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:54 am

YVR and ATL

jfk777

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:30 am

Its probably not politically viable for Emirates to expand their already very large operation in the USA.

cougar15

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:50 am

emiratesdriver wrote:
With over 40 pilot resignations in July and only 15 replacements I think on balance the posters on here need to be speculating what routes will be cut or reduced to allow more capacity into the US.
In real terms the pilot establishment at EK has shrunk by around 10% per airframe in the last 24 months so it begs the question how will it be crewed when pilots are at max hours for the month and the year.

Second post now of yours in recent threads on this! I do need to comment. Keep reading all this, yet nightstopping thru DWC last Tuesday , there was 2 Tripples and one A380 parked up (Tues early eve & Wed afternoon) . Guess the rest of the fleet must be (crewed & ) busy. EK needs crew, and at the risk of repeating myself, so does every other EU, US, Asian and Ocenanic operator at present!

Interesting comment on the plum, aehm prune being blocked, surely a competent EK Jockey has figured out the workaround for that one.......?

As to the thread, waiting on ATL.......
some you lose, others you can´t win!

erikgrinsvall

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:00 am

It'd be more likely for EK to start service between Dominca than anything new into Canada.

EK's DXB-BCN-MEX has been postponed and will not commence any time soon as it stands. New allegations from US Admin.

emiratesdriver

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:37 am

cougar15 wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:

Second post now of yours in recent threads on this! I do need to comment. Keep reading all this, yet nightstopping thru DWC last Tuesday , there was 2 Tripples and one A380 parked up (Tues early eve & Wed afternoon) . Guess the rest of the fleet must be (crewed & ) busy. EK needs crew, and at the risk of repeating myself, so does every other EU, US, Asian and Ocenanic operator at present!

Interesting comment on the plum, aehm prune being blocked, surely a competent EK Jockey has figured out the workaround for that one.......?

Cougar,

With respect to airframes crewed, there was enough fat left in the system when airframes were rested to cover the summer peak by cancelling blocks of summer leave on the 380 particularly for Captains. I know as my summer leave was first postponed then cancelled. The can has been kicked down the road until November where the original projections were for another 250 pilots on property thanks too the significant recruitment effort started at the beginning of the year, unfortunately for EK only 125 or so have been recruited and somewhere in the order of 230 have left.
Every 380 skipper I know were well over 100hrs for June and July, in some cases closer to 115hrs, that gets old very very quickly and will continue the steady stream of resignations.
Regarding the website issue, you are indeed correct, It is a feeble attempt by someone with brains the size of a walnut to muzzle the reports coming out from current EK pilots in the hope I’m assuming that the local version of reality can attract more applicants.
Regarding the quality of new joiners, I recently operated a LHR with an F/O who had previously flown ATR72s, he had 0 previous jet experience and had only operated into the EU/UK on one previous occasion, this is now typical of EK new recruits, even the Ryanair pilots are staying away.
ATL won’t happen anytime soon, and as I said expect further postponements or cancellations as crews max out on hours again.

chrisnh

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:49 am

With a fleet that is badly skewed toward the big side, they’re running out of places on this continent where a daily 77W would work. Too few 77L’s to matter; 787s (whichever variant) ordered way too late.

cougar15

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:17 am

emiratesdriver wrote:
cougar15 wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:

Cougar,

With respect to airframes crewed, there was enough fat left in the system when airframes were rested to cover the summer peak by cancelling blocks of summer leave on the 380 particularly for Captains. I know as my summer leave was first postponed then cancelled. The can has been kicked down the road until November where the original projections were for another 250 pilots on property thanks too the significant recruitment effort started at the beginning of the year, unfortunately for EK only 125 or so have been recruited and somewhere in the order of 230 have left.
Every 380 skipper I know were well over 100hrs for June and July, in some cases closer to 115hrs, that gets old very very quickly and will continue the steady stream of resignations.
Regarding the website issue, you are indeed correct, It is a feeble attempt by someone with brains the size of a walnut to muzzle the reports coming out from current EK pilots in the hope I’m assuming that the local version of reality can attract more applicants.
Regarding the quality of new joiners, I recently operated a LHR with an F/O who had previously flown ATR72s, he had 0 previous jet experience and had only operated into the EU/UK on one previous occasion, this is now typical of EK new recruits, even the Ryanair pilots are staying away.
ATL won’t happen anytime soon, and as I said expect further postponements or cancellations as crews max out on hours again.

Now hang on, and my apologies to the audience of this platform , I will now be guilty of thread drift to reply to you ! But I will come back to EK to the US in the end!
So, as you mention LHR, I would have to pressume you are not on the tractor (777), but one the whale (A380)!

I totally agree with a lot of what you say, especially relating to new joiners, but do not blame them, the system is at fault (60 A220´s/ C300´sor whatever ordered by/to Air Baltic for P2F ((that´s `pay to fly` for the audience)) skippers, those poor young guys.....)

So from what I can gather, you operate the A380 at EK. And you operate it with a FO who had previously flown ATR72s, he had 0 previous jet experience and had only operated into the EU/UK …. quoting you!
Look, I am only a lonely old man, a freight dog nowaydays, but I am going to call BS on that one!

Emirates has (many) issues, Emirates needs to fix those issues (Retention/Rosters/Package) urgently.....

And to get back to the subject at hand, if you are operating into LHR on the whale with an ATR72 FO, then i am sure there will be plenty of new EK flights to the US on the whale going forward with a number 2 and a number 3 that have ATR experience only, whilst you enjoy that messy bunk)!
About here, I am going to say...... major BS, anything else would break thread rules and my personal communication standards !

Anyway, still looking forward to EK into ATL, I actually think a freight service may be first!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

emiratesdriver

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:37 am

So from what I can gather, you operate the A380 at EK. And you operate it with a FO who had previously flown ATR72s, he had 0 previous jet experience and had only operated into the EU/UK …. quoting you!
Look, I am only a lonely old man, a freight dog nowaydays, but I am going to call BS on that one!

Cougar, yes previously on the John Deere but the last 5 years on the 380.
My FO for clarity sake, ex ATR72...joined EK with approx 1800TT, typed, line-trained with one EU/UK trip during training and when I had him as my FO he had 12 operating sectors behind him with about 90 jet hours total, this is the quality and experience that EK are now able to attract and are happy to release to line as 2 IC on a 560 tonne jet with 500 pax, this is the reality.
BTW the 777F did operate to hotlanta for a while.

dcajet

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:56 am

erikgrinsvall wrote:
It'd be more likely for EK to start service between Dominca than anything new into Canada.

EK's DXB-BCN-MEX has been postponed and will not commence any time soon as it stands. New allegations from US Admin.

I may be missing something here, but what would the US have to say about a route between the UAE to Mexico via a third party EU country?

BREECH

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:03 am

believeinflight wrote:

Calgary
Denver
Vancouver
Detroit
Philadelphia
DC

Just check where Delta and AA are laying people off. That would be the Emirates next destination. And the scene of the next cry-me-a-river press-conference about "unfair competition".
No friendship, love or respect unite people as much as shared hatred.
Sergey Dovlatov

neomax

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:28 am

dcajet wrote:
erikgrinsvall wrote:

I may be missing something here, but what would the US have to say about a route between the UAE to Mexico via a third party EU country?

What jurisdiction does the US have on an EU-MEX route?

dodgers702

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:34 am

erikgrinsvall wrote:

Do you have a source or article that states what you said? The only article I can find was back in July where they claim fifth freedom rights haven’t been granted to EK as of yet.

https://a21.com.mx/aerolineas/2018/07/0 ... -barcelona

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos