Midwestindy
Topic Author

Air service announcement SRQ 08/28/18

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:40 pm

https://www.bradenton.com/news/business ... 85055.html

Sarasota has an air service announcement on Tuesday (tomorrow), "Airport officials and an undisclosed airline are expected to make an announcement Tuesday of new passenger service coming to Sarasota Bradenton International Airport."

Any ideas who it could be? I wouldn't be surprised if F9 added more service to SRQ since they currently only fly to CLE.
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019

klm617

Re: Air service announcement SRQ 08/28/18

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:51 pm

NK to Detroit would be nice.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

SRQLOT

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:53 pm

It would be exciting if it is F9 with Las Vegas and Philadelphia as they are showing those on their website when you click on destinations for SRQ. Since the airport wrote new passenger service, I’m not sure if that would be plural. I did see the CEO of Elite at SRQ yesterday, guessing it’s Elite.

evank516

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:05 pm

Glad to see SRQ is doing well. Also seems like the existing carriers (DL, UA, AA, and B6) re-upped their agreements with the airport too. Guess that answers the question as to whether B6 is doing well there or not.

SRQLOT

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:22 pm

evank516 wrote:
Glad to see SRQ is doing well. Also seems like the existing carriers (DL, UA, AA, and B6) re-upped their agreements with the airport too. Guess that answers the question as to whether B6 is doing well there or not.

Yes they resigned leases for another 5 years. As for B6, their flights to New York look full, during the summer it was mainly E190. The Boston flight is starting the seasonal 23 days earlier and I’ll be going to Boston in 1.5 weeks, exited as it is my first time in Boston and first time on B6. A month ago they did have great prices to Boston round trip for $200 so I went for it.

zackary747

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:32 pm

I can see F9 adding more. F9 tends to add things in 1-2 different 'waves' it seems like. If it is F9 it could possible be SRQ-RDU/AUS.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr

Balloonchaser

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:24 pm

F9 to ISP, PVD, TTN, PHL, BUF, AUS from SRQ

NWADTWE16

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:43 pm

Nice one F9, this is smart, and your cornering the ULCC market in SWFLA with huge adds also at RSW. Side note: G4 plans to operate near 100 weekly departures at PGD this winter. Too bad for all these vacationers the water is toxic, and all the fish have died, along with turtles, manatees, sharks etc
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

enilria

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:15 pm

klm617 wrote:

I have the impression F9 announced their early Winter schedule already and since SRQ is Winter season that leads me toward your NK speculation or somebody like Elite.

SRQLOT

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:17 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
F9 to ISP, PVD, TTN, PHL, BUF, AUS from SRQ

Ah that would be an insane announcement! How many of these would actually make it to first flight???

Balloonchaser

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:56 pm

enilria wrote:
klm617 wrote:

I have the impression F9 announced their early Winter schedule already and since SRQ is Winter season that leads me toward your NK speculation or somebody like Elite.

Then I’d love to see Elite expand at KISP ;)

SRQLOT

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:05 am

One thought is would SRQ waste Human Resources to make an announcement at the airport for Elite? Did they have something at the airport for Frontier when the CLE announcement was made?

757usairways

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:56 am

On frontiers website, on the drop down for SRQ I’m seeing LAS and PHL.

Jshank83

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:00 am

757usairways wrote:

LAS you can connect thru CLE. PHL not sure why it shows up.

727LOVER

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:30 am

Jshank83 wrote:
757usairways wrote:

It's been like that for a week....and guess what?
IT'S NOW BOOKABLE !!

EDIT: a little birdie told me AA will be following.....but granted, I don't know how knowledgeable this birdie is...HA HA :rotfl:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

zackary747

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:00 am

Jshank83 wrote:
757usairways wrote:

SRQ-PHL is showing as a nonstop route. Starts Dec. 10th and appears to be seasonal.

SRQ-LAS appears to be connecting through CLE.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr

SRQLOT

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:26 am

zackary747 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
757usairways wrote:

SRQ-PHL is showing as a nonstop route. Starts Dec. 10th and appears to be seasonal.

I did notice that few days for LAS, but if you try to do a round trip you will notice that you can’t return on Fridays. They are flying to CLE Monday’s and Fridays, and the LAS shows up as returns on Thursdays. So there is something wrong there?

enilria

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:36 pm

enilria wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Well, I was wrong I guess. More F9...

evank516

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:49 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
757usairways wrote:

IT'S NOW BOOKABLE !!

EDIT: a little birdie told me AA will be following.....but granted, I don't know how knowledgeable this birdie is...HA HA :rotfl:

AA seems to be picking up in SRQ. CLT-SRQ has seen some upgauges to mainline which is never a bad thing.

Dominion301

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:52 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

I did notice that few days for LAS, but if you try to do a round trip you will notice that you can’t return on Fridays. They are flying to CLE Monday’s and Fridays, and the LAS shows up as returns on Thursdays. So there is something wrong there?

Is the LAS return a Thursday night red-eye with a late Friday morning SRQ arrival?

ikramerica

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:03 pm

The linked article talks of a huge uptick in traffic. It seems to coincide with the opening of the inconvenient rental facility at TPA. In interviews many travelers voiced their displeasure with the added time and hassle it takes to arrive at TPA now and that they would rather connect and use SRQ. Having just used the TPA system with two small children I’d have to agree. Arriving was hell. Leaving wasntbdo bad. But the distances required to walk with luggage and no assistance are pretty extreme and overall 20-30 minutes are added to the airport time.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

rnav2dlrey

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:18 pm

ikramerica wrote:
The linked article talks of a huge uptick in traffic. It seems to coincide with the opening of the inconvenient rental facility at TPA. In interviews many travelers voiced their displeasure with the added time and hassle it takes to arrive at TPA now and that they would rather connect and use SRQ. Having just used the TPA system with two small children I’d have to agree. Arriving was hell. Leaving wasntbdo bad. But the distances required to walk with luggage and no assistance are pretty extreme and overall 20-30 minutes are added to the airport time.

agreed. flying into TPA is almost always at least 15-25% cheaper from me than SRQ (from the northeast). staying on anna maria and lido, i’ve generally been fine with the extra drive time compared to SRQ. but the extra time required to get to/from new rental car facility (which is beautiful!) is a negative, and now i’m willing to pay a few bucks more to fly into SRQ and be complacent with the awful selection hertz has there.

joeljack

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:52 pm

rnav2dlrey wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

agreed. flying into TPA is almost always at least 15-25% cheaper from me than SRQ (from the northeast). staying on anna maria and lido, i’ve generally been fine with the extra drive time compared to SRQ. but the extra time required to get to/from new rental car facility (which is beautiful!) is a negative, and now i’m willing to pay a few bucks more to fly into SRQ and be complacent with the awful selection hertz has there.

I go to Lakeland and usually I'm just there for the day. That new rental car facility in TPA is terrible. I now fly only to Orlando even though I like Tampa better. It seems to cost me about 20-30 minutes compared to the old way of getting your car. That said, I can see SRQ picking up traffic because of the rental situation in TPA. It is sort of like LAS, I only uber or taxi now there because that rental facility is miles away and takes forever. That isn't an option though in Florida because the distances are huge!

I really wish airlines just flew to Lakeland but that's a different subject.

SRQLOT

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:22 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

Is the LAS return a Thursday night red-eye with a late Friday morning SRQ arrival?

Ah you are right. 12 hour total time for around $500 no thanks!!!

727LOVER

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:27 pm

joeljack wrote:
rnav2dlrey wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

I go to Lakeland and usually I'm just there for the day. That new rental car facility in TPA is terrible. I now fly only to Orlando even though I like Tampa better. It seems to cost me about 20-30 minutes compared to the old way of getting your car. That said, I can see SRQ picking up traffic because of the rental situation in TPA. It is sort of like LAS, I only uber or taxi now there because that rental facility is miles away and takes forever. That isn't an option though in Florida because the distances are huge!

I really wish airlines just flew to Lakeland but that's a different subject.

Funny to me you mentioned LAS......just visited for the 1st time back in February----rental car pick-up &&&&&&& return was pure hell !!

What time is this announcement???
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

axiom

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:29 pm

Great news for SRQ. Criminally underused facility.

As for these complaints about TPA, I can't help but chuckle. Really? Really, now? It's hardly that much of a hassle to use the new facility. It remains far more pleasant an experience than most other large hub airports, and we're still talking about a relatively short walk. I always maintain sympathy for people with disabilities, who might struggle with increased distances, but everyone else clearly hasn't spent a lot of time at EWR or MIA or SFO. TPA is not Fort Wayne, folks.

ikramerica

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:51 pm

axiom wrote:

As for these complaints about TPA, I can't help but chuckle. Really? Really, now? It's hardly that much of a hassle to use the new facility. It remains far more pleasant an experience than most other large hub airports, and we're still talking about a relatively short walk. I always maintain sympathy for people with disabilities, who might struggle with increased distances, but everyone else clearly hasn't spent a lot of time at EWR or MIA or SFO. TPA is not Fort Wayne, folks.

It absolutely positively IS that much of a hassle.

Before: get luggage from delta carousel, have wife wait with kids while I walk across street to put car seat and a couple of pieces of luggage in rental car, come back to get rest and get kids and out in 10 minutes.

Now: collect luggage. Carry car seat, kids, luggage for 4 to rental elevator clear across the terminal. Take elevator. Walk again 1/2 way across terminal. Try to hurry everyone onto the train and hopefully find one seat for wife to hold littlest one. Travel in train with few seats that is rough and dangerous for standing. Get off on second stop. Take all the stuff another long distance to get to the car area. Then, see the “Before” for the rest of the procedure.

If you don’t see how much harder that is, I don’t know what to tell you.

At SRQ, see the “Before” but without the initial tram from the concourse to the terminal.

We flew into TPA mainly for the nonstop from LAX to avoid connecting with kids. But connecting now is easier than the TPA shuttle shuffle, the drive is shorter to see family (Holmes Beach and Bradenton).

Even if it’s not a ton of people turned off by TPA in favor of SRQ, it’s likely enough to balloon SRQ anemic numbers.

Let’s just hope that SRQ doesn’t use the excuse of “we need to build a garage for parking” to instead move the rental lots to a remote location via bus like San Jose. They will find that their rising slope of passenger traffic will transform into a crater.

Cubsrule

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:03 pm

ikramerica wrote:
axiom wrote:

Before: get luggage from delta carousel, have wife wait with kids while I walk across street to put car seat and a couple of pieces of luggage in rental car, come back to get rest and get kids and out in 10 minutes.

Now: collect luggage. Carry car seat, kids, luggage for 4 to rental elevator clear across the terminal. Take elevator. Walk again 1/2 way across terminal. Try to hurry everyone onto the train and hopefully find one seat for wife to hold littlest one. Travel in train with few seats that is rough and dangerous for standing. Get off on second stop. Take all the stuff another long distance to get to the car area. Then, see the “Before” for the rest of the procedure.

At SRQ, see the “Before” but without the initial tram from the concourse to the terminal.

We flew into TPA mainly for the nonstop from LAX to avoid connecting with kids. But connecting now is easier than the TPA shuttle shuffle, the drive is shorter to see family (Holmes Beach and Bradenton).

Even if it’s not a ton of people turned off by TPA in favor of SRQ, it’s likely enough to balloon SRQ anemic numbers.

Let’s just hope that SRQ doesn’t use the excuse of “we need to build a garage for parking” to instead move the rental lots to a remote location via bus like San Jose. They will find that their rising slope of passenger traffic will transform into a crater.

Is there some evidence that people choose airports based on rental car hassle? When MDW opened its rental car center and added the bus ride in ~2013, we did not see ORD's passenger numbers skyrocket or MDW's plummet.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

klm617

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:20 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
ikramerica wrote:
axiom wrote:

Is there some evidence that people choose airports based on rental car hassle? When MDW opened its rental car center and added the bus ride in ~2013, we did not see ORD's passenger numbers skyrocket or MDW's plummet.

You can't even compare ORD and MDW to TPA and SRQ
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Cubsrule

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:31 pm

klm617 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

Feel free to suggest a better comparison . . . MDW is the only airport I can think of with a major nearby competitor where the rental car experience has recently become much worse.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

axiom

klm617 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

Why not? They're adjacent airports, and the premise is that there is relative substitutability. I am okay with that premise, to a point.

Here's my issue: TPA is approximately twenty times larger than SRQ, and ten times larger than PIE. You are welcome to pay more for the convenience of the smaller airport (it's a gem, I love using it), but you need to have some perspective when you talk about the experience. TPA is a large airport now. It has large airport dynamics. And for a large airport, it is still a relatively straightforward experience.

cheapgreek

evank516 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

IT'S NOW BOOKABLE !!

AA seems to be picking up in SRQ. CLT-SRQ has seen some upgauges to mainline which is never a bad thing.

Starting Dec 19 2018, two A319 on the route. They end on March 2 2019.

evank516

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:35 pm

cheapgreek wrote:
evank516 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

IT'S NOW BOOKABLE !!

Starting Dec 19 2018, two A319 on the route. They end on March 2 2019.

That's pretty impressive, and not the first Florida station to see such upgauges lately either. Seems to be a new thing on CLT-Florida routes that were previously all Eagle.

neomax

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:39 pm

With all due respect, complaints about the rental car of all things is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. The new rental car facility is indeed farther but its literally a train ride away and the actual facility is way better than the old one. I honestly do not believe it takes more than 5 minutes extra to get to the new one and definitely would not use SRQ just on the basis of the freaking rental car lmao.

727LOVER

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:40 pm

evank516 wrote:
That's pretty impressive, and not the first Florida station to see such upgauges lately either. Seems to be a new thing on CLT-Florida routes that were previously all Eagle.

If you're talking about MLB....they lose the mainline, but go up 1 flight in frequency

evank516

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:43 pm

727LOVER wrote:
evank516 wrote:

If you're talking about MLB....they lose the mainline, but go up 1 flight in frequency

No not MLB, though that was impressive too. I know PNS saw similar upgauges too this year, maybe VPS too or that was just DFW.

SANFan

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:47 pm

ikramerica wrote:
axiom wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Why not leave wife, kids and most luggage at the baggage claim, YOU ride the train to the RCF, pick up the car, drive to the terminal and pick up the family and baggage? That's how most folks do it when rental cars are remote.

Doesn't sound much different than your "before" scenario, except maybe a few extra minutes...

bb

BTVB6Flyer

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:52 pm

In general and at the end of the day, I would bet it typically boils down to: price (savings) > distance of rental car center

727LOVER

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:45 pm

With all the arguing about TPA's RCF...did yall FORGET why we're here ??!!

OK, as expected,....Frontier is starting SRQ-PHL...twice weekly beginning Dec 10

http://amp.bradenton.com/news/business/ ... 48610.html
Last edited by 727LOVER on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

747d10

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:58 pm

727LOVER wrote:
OK, as expected,....Frontier is starting SRQ-PHL...twice weekly beginning Dec 10

My hopes are dashed again......
Please give us (ok, probably just me) B6 to FLL. I know, ain't ever gonna happen.
flown: E145/190;F100;L10/15;DC8;D8S;D10;M11;D91/S/5;M80;M90;717;727;72S;732/3/4/5/G/8/9;
741/2/3/4;752;762/3/4;77E/L;A300;310;319;320;321;330;Concorde

SurfandSnow

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:00 pm

Great to see SRQ get more low fare nonstop service to its key snowbird markets. I'm sure BWI is now a top priority for the powers that be...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

727LOVER

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:10 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
Great to see SRQ get more low fare nonstop service to its key snowbird markets. I'm sure BWI is now a top priority for the powers that be...

DEFINITELY....gold mine Feb 15 thru Apr 1

SRQLOT

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:15 pm

747d10 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

My hopes are dashed again......
Please give us (ok, probably just me) B6 to FLL. I know, ain't ever gonna happen.

Maybe one day Southwest will fly it!! But why Silver has not even touched SRQ yet?? I know so many people including myself that go to Key West and Miami multiple times a year from Sarasota and Bradenton area, and backtracking to Tampa is not worth it.

727LOVER

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:14 pm

SRQLOT wrote:

Maybe one day Southwest will fly it!! But why Silver has not even touched SRQ yet?? I know so many people including myself that go to Key West and Miami multiple times a year from Sarasota and Bradenton area, and backtracking to Tampa is not worth it.

SRQ is a smaller market and it's in the middle of the state....sure, TLH & PMS are small markets, buth they are far enough away from South Florida. SRQ-FLL/MIA, you are competing with the car. Unless the fare is going to be $80 or less RT, people would rather drive. Key West is really, the only place I could see them flying.

727LOVER

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:20 pm

By the way....anyone think we will get a response from AA ?

Bigant0408

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:40 pm

727LOVER wrote:
By the way....anyone think we will get a response from AA ?

I think so. Give it maybe two weeks we’ll here about it just like they did with PHL-Madison and PHL-Omaha.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

ikramerica

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:29 pm

SANFan wrote:
ikramerica wrote:
axiom wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Why not leave wife, kids and most luggage at the baggage claim, YOU ride the train to the RCF, pick up the car, drive to the terminal and pick up the family and baggage? That's how most folks do it when rental cars are remote.

Doesn't sound much different than your "before" scenario, except maybe a few extra minutes...

bb

You can leave my special needs son and 1 year old baby alone with my wife for 1/2 hour in an airport. After a 5 hour flight. I value my marriage.

One of the main reasons we would fly into TPA was that SRQ doesn’t have emerald aisle so we have to pay more for rental car there. For example, we got a minivan for a discounted midsize rate this time. But it’s not worth the hassle now.

Pellegrine

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:59 pm

Can I selfishly get a 2nd daily n/s DCA-SRQ. I fly first DCA-SRQ-DCA 6 times a year on AA.
oh boy, here we go!!!

727LOVER

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
Can I selfishly get a 2nd daily n/s DCA-SRQ. I fly first DCA-SRQ-DCA 6 times a year on AA.

PNS has two....meanwhile TLH has none...go figure

Pellegrine

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:21 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

PNS has two....meanwhile TLH has none...go figure

Surprised PNS has two. I don't think TLH has the money cachet necessary to support a n/s necessarily, I'm sure AA is happy to route that traffic over CLT. I usually try to avoid CLT stops on my way to the SE US from DCA, they're a waste of time...but sometimes you can get all mainline jets by 1-stopping in CLT.
oh boy, here we go!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos