WNflyer1523
Topic Author

Frontier announces HRL

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:40 pm

https://www.valleymorningstar.com/news/ ... 7347f.html
2x weekly service to ORD and 3x weekly to DEN starting in November on an A320. Interested to see how this works out.

LHUSA

Re: Frontier announces HRL

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:49 pm

F9 should really considering entering this competition....

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_PDC_World_Darts_Championship>

enilria

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:50 pm

WNflyer1523 wrote:
https://www.valleymorningstar.com/news/local_news/frontier-airlines-coming-to-harlingen-airport/article_6d6fadae-aadc-11e8-b03d-a3f014a7347f.html
2x weekly service to ORD and 3x weekly to DEN starting in November on an A320. Interested to see how this works out.

I think in Winter it works depending on the schedule

Frontier14

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:55 pm

LHUSA wrote:

Darn how many more southern dart targets are still available for F9 to try? They are helping to keep routes-on-line in business :hyper:

Frontier 14

evank516

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:17 pm

Whoa...HRL. And WN announces MDW in 3...2...1...(just kidding)

SurfandSnow

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:18 pm

HRL has supported WN for over 40 years, while UA just added ORD-BRO. To be sure, crazier things have happened than this!
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

spinkid

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:36 pm

OK.
DEN makes sense since that offers lots of connections.
ORD? that confuses me. I would have expected LAS, MCO or anywhere else in Florida.

flyguy84

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:42 pm

UA already announced BRO-ORD service so this must be an attempt to erode that...
SFO

IFlyVeryLittle

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:58 pm

Also added SRQ-PHL two days a week, beginning in december.

TWA772LR

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:03 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
UA already announced BRO-ORD service so this must be an attempt to erode that...

SY also does MSP-HRL seasonal. The RGV is popular with northerners.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

evank516

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:08 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:

SY also does MSP-HRL seasonal. The RGV is popular with northerners.

As does DL.

ScottB

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:21 pm

WNflyer1523 wrote:

I can see it working for those interested in warmer weather in the RGV or the beaches of South Padre. The main issue would be building awareness outside of Texas.

TWA1985

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:17 pm

spinkid wrote:
OK.
ORD? that confuses me. I would have expected LAS, MCO or anywhere else in Florida.

Why wouldn’t ORD make sense? It’s a focus city for Frontier with service to:

Cancún, Charleston, Denver, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, Orlando, Pensacola, Phoenix, Punta Cana, Colorado Springs, El Paso, Fort Myers, Long Island/Islip, Miami, Palm Springs, Puerto Vallarta, San José del Cabo, Syracuse, Tampa, Trenton and how Harlingen.
Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.

727LOVER

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:18 pm

No one has mentioned it...but HRL is F9's 100th destination
:praise: :praise: :praise: :praise: :praise: :praise: :birthday:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

zackary747

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:28 pm

LHUSA wrote:

I heard that Frontier has special seasonal darts that disappear without warning. :D

Seriously tho, I wish Frontier would let people know when a seasonal route isn't going to return.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr

DFWAviator76

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:56 am

flyguy84 wrote:

I follow Texas aviation pretty closely but wasn't aware of that. Wonder why UA went with BRO instead of MFE or HRL? Seems like the other two airports are more convenient for most of the Valley.

rph99

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:06 am

727LOVER wrote:

Such exciting news! Of course Frontier has a plethora of flaws but I still love them. I just have a strong connection with them because I’ve lived in Denver my entire life...they have always been my go to airline.

I do wish their 100th destination was an airport I’ve heard of tho. I had never heard of HRL until today’s announcement.

F9LASDEN

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:54 am

rph99 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Such exciting news! Of course Frontier has a plethora of flaws but I still love them. I just have a strong connection with them because I’ve lived in Denver my entire life...they have always been my go to airline.

I do wish their 100th destination was an airport I’ve heard of tho. I had never heard of HRL until today’s announcement.

I love F9 too. I lived in Denver for my entire life too (until moving to Las Vegas last summer, another F9 focus city) and they’ve been my go-to carrier for quite awhile and will continue to be for the foreseeable future (I even hit Elite status for this year and am on track to do so again next year). True that they’re not without their quirks or flaws, but they’re not enough for personally to stop flying them (though I could see people in residing in cities where they’ve quickly entered and exited a lot of markets to be more wary of them; luckily DEN and LAS both are pretty stable). I’m personally excited about them hitting 100 destinations and for what F9’s future may hold.
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right

rph99

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:27 pm

F9LASDEN wrote:
rph99 wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

I love F9 too. I lived in Denver for my entire life too (until moving to Las Vegas last summer, another F9 focus city) and they’ve been my go-to carrier for quite awhile and will continue to be for the foreseeable future (I even hit Elite status for this year and am on track to do so again next year). True that they’re not without their quirks or flaws, but they’re not enough for personally to stop flying them (though I could see people in residing in cities where they’ve quickly entered and exited a lot of markets to be more wary of them; luckily DEN and LAS both are pretty stable). I’m personally excited about them hitting 100 destinations and for what F9’s future may hold.

My #1 hope is that they bring back the Animal Tail commercials. They are such iconic commercials and really set them apart from a marketing standpoint.

F9LASDEN

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:49 pm

rph99 wrote:
F9LASDEN wrote:
rph99 wrote:

My #1 hope is that they bring back the Animal Tail commercials. They are such iconic commercials and really set them apart from a marketing standpoint.

I loved those commercials and hope to see them return sometime as well. They still use the animals in their marketing, and I like that their current livery features the animal tail names painted on the planes, but nothing really compares to those commercials.
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right

spinkid

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:18 pm

If you want to have a fun time. Take a look at their route map. It's pretty dizzying

https://www.flyfrontier.com/travel/my-trips/route-map/

gustywinds

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:45 pm

The map is a mess and is never up to date. They still haven’t added HSV, LFT etc. The app has an interactive map but it’s never up to date and is missing cities.

This link does show city pair options available, not nonstops, but what one could book -

https://flights.flyfrontier.com/en/site ... hts/page-1

MIflyer12

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:56 pm

spinkid wrote:
OK.

Ask the Mexican Consulate in Chicago how many 1st generation immigrants from Mexico are living in Chicagoland. Ask how many are from the lower Rio Grande Valley.

DDR

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:36 pm

spinkid wrote:
If you want to have a fun time. Take a look at their route map. It's pretty dizzying

WOW. How many planes do they have? Looks like they must have a huge fleet to operate that many routes. I'm curious how the trips are created for the crews since they have so much non base flying.

alggag

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:49 pm

DDR wrote:
spinkid wrote:

WOW. How many planes do they have? Looks like they must have a huge fleet to operate that many routes. I'm curious how the trips are created for the crews since they have so much non base flying.

The route network becomes less impressive when you consider that many flights are 1x per day or less.

alasizon

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:14 pm

alggag wrote:
DDR wrote:
spinkid wrote:

The route network becomes less impressive when you consider that many flights are 1x per day or less.

And even less impressive once you realize that there are a bunch of Volaris routes included in there as well.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

axiom

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:39 am

Beyond the fact that a third of the routes on that map will be gone (or different) in three months, I can't help but chuckle at how utterly useless the map is at actually conveying where they fly. Strictly from an information communication perspective, all it really says is "mess". ;-)

I don't mean this as a dig -- they're profitable and innovative, so more power to them for being creative.

DENflyer10

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:28 pm

Story out of local paper in Harlingen regarding city's air service development program incentives that lured F9 and soon AA to HRL and whether or not they will stay once the tap runs dry.

F9 load factors are around 79% which is healthy for these infant markets between HRL and DEN, ORD. However F9 spokeswoman's response should keep us on our toes until the market demand can prove itself long term.

“We are happy with our performance in Harlingen and we will continue to fly the new routes that we started in winter into our summer 2019 schedule,” spokeswoman Kelsey Hustead stated.

The response failed to directly answer the question of whether the airliner will remain in Harlingen.

https://www.valleymorningstar.com/news/ ... 6f406.html

freakyrat

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:37 pm

DENflyer10 wrote:
Story out of local paper in Harlingen regarding city's air service development program incentives that lured F9 and soon AA to HRL and whether or not they will stay once the tap runs dry.

F9 load factors are around 79% which is healthy for these infant markets between HRL and DEN, ORD. However F9 spokeswoman's response should keep us on our toes until the market demand can prove itself long term.

“We are happy with our performance in Harlingen and we will continue to fly the new routes that we started in winter into our summer 2019 schedule,” spokeswoman Kelsey Hustead stated.

The response failed to directly answer the question of whether the airliner will remain in Harlingen.

https://www.valleymorningstar.com/news/ ... 6f406.html

Before F9 became n ULCC they were flying DEN-SBN 3X weekly on a 130 seat A319 and averaged LF's of 84%. They flew the route for 9 months and left. They were given 750,000 in incentives which they didn't use. They flew close to 22,000 passengers in and 22,000 passengers out on 192 flights With average fares of $118.00 each way that is a little over 5 million gross. Do not know what their operating costs or yields were but they had to make a profit. When they decided to become a ULCC and give up connecting passengers in Denver that's when they left. F9 could still make this work seasonally as they boarded most of their passengers during the months of MAR-SEP. Because of F9's demonstrated loads out of the airport AA has moved back with service to CLT and DFW and after a slow first month start has been successful. So you kind of wonder what dartboard F9 uses and how they judge the success of their strategy.

WaywardMemphian

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:23 pm

All if this is exactly why they re entered BKg last year and returning again. Lots of locals want year round. Again it was doing very well but that shift in focus cut the route. F9 and AirTran/Southwest had hit 115k enplanements from BKG a year before Southwest gutted the route and Frontier went ULCC.

Silver Dollar City had record breaking crowds this winter and Frontier missed most of it as sercice ended for the year in early Nov. Gotta carry it through to New Year Day and crank it back up for Spring Break travel.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos