Breathe
Topic Author

Laudamotion to double Airbus fleet following completion of Ryanair deal

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:47 pm

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0 ... bus-fleet/

Laudamotion has announced that it will double its Airbus fleet from 9 to 18 aircraft by next summer following the completion of Ryanair’s purchase of 75% shareholding in the airline from Niki Lauda in August.

Laudamotion also announced a new aircraft livery which reflects the airline's Austrian heritage.

Eurowingsa320

Re: Laudamotion to double Airbus fleet following completion of Ryanair deal

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:07 pm

I wonder when we will see there first aircraft in this livery

Waterbomber

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:25 pm

Michael is packing up some pounds.

nikeson13

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:42 pm

Looks good
Nikolas

BlueSky1976

Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:53 pm

I like it.
It's got a bit of the original LaudaAir feeling to it.
Tarriffs are taxes. Taxation is theft. You are not entitled to anything.
If it's a Boeing, I'm not going.

aemoreira1981

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:42 pm

Looks much better than carrying the defunct Air Berlin logo on the vertical stabilizer.

ODwyerPW

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:43 pm

'Oh Lauda!!, Michael is getting fat!'
learning never stops.

jeffh747

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:47 pm

BlueSky1976 wrote:
I like it.
It's got a bit of the original LaudaAir feeling to it.

It definitely looks like a much more modern LaudaAir livery. It has many of the original aspects in this new livery, such as the grey underbelly with the red stripe, as well as a more clean L/arrow on the tail. I like this livery quite a lot. Much better than his previous airline’s livery, FlyNIKI.
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

shamrock350

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:52 pm

Love the new livery, feels like a fresh update of the original Lauda design. The website titles give it a mid-2000s feel though!

LH748

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:09 pm

That looks surprisingly good
I'm somewhat surprised that they stick to Airbus though
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

devron

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:18 pm

Where will they get these planes from? It seems everyone wants and airbus now and is reactivating "old" planes (e.g. easyjet A319) or prolonging leases.

Blerg

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:50 pm

So they plan on doubling their fleet by next summer? I guess VIE will become extremely crowded next year as I am sure Level and Wizz Air will also expand their Viennese fleet.

lightsaber

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:11 pm

devron wrote:
Where will they get these planes from? It seems everyone wants and airbus now and is reactivating "old" planes (e.g. easyjet A319) or prolonging leases.

The reactivation is due to NEO delays. There is a temporary delay in planned fleet rotations. There are 1366 A319s flying per Airfleets' production summary. There is always fleet turnover.

Easyjet will return to retiring A319s late this year.

Go to the NEO and MAX production threads. They both discuss the glider problem.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

zkojq

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:39 pm

What a shame Niki was not able to be at the livery unveiling. I hope he is better soon, but I guess he will have to be very 'hands off' for a good while.
First to fly the 787-9

leghorn

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:42 pm

A32X planes are there to make it seem credible that Ryanair have a 2nd option when negotiating with Boeing. M O'L said this in a quarterly results press conference.

kaitak

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:04 pm

I think the new livery looks great ... the current/original livery was always a bit "meh" - uninspired and boring.

I like the way they've made the titles a bit, well, lauda ...

Blerg

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:45 am

Who is the guy on the right? CEO?

oldannyboy

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:59 am

Excellent!
I love the new livery - very LaudaAir-like! well done. I like the respect shown here to the heritage and the great name.
Wishing them all the very best!

Samrnpage

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:52 am

Whats everyones thoughts on why they are staying with Airbus? It would be very easy to switch over to 738s. Is it because they want to tell boeing to keep their prices reasonable or are they testing how the a320 works profit wise?

Momo1435

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:00 am

Blerg wrote:

Laudamotion’s CEO, Andreas Gruber

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/laud ... -purchase/

1989worstyear

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:07 am

devron wrote:

Also, very little has changed technologically for NB's since the certification of the A320-200 in November of 1988.

An A320 from 1993 is the same as a new NEO minus the engines - so with the NEO delays a 25-30 year old CEO is still your next best bet.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

devron

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:50 pm

Blerg wrote:

Waterbomber wrote:

I was looking at the ladies.

1989worstyear wrote:
Also, very little has changed technologically for NB's since the certification of the A320-200 in November of 1988.

An A320 from 1993 is the same as a new NEO minus the engines - so with the NEO delays a 25-30 year old CEO is still your next best bet .

Lightsaber wrote:
The reactivation is due to NEO delays. There is a temporary delay in planned fleet rotations. There are 1366 A319s flying per Airfleets' production summary. There is always fleet turnover.

I know the background of easyjet and that old planes are not bad, my question is with the new player on the market and a lot of legacy airlines also in the market for old planes where will Lauda Motion get theirs from?

lightsaber

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:00 pm

devron wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Waterbomber wrote:

1989worstyear wrote:

An A320 from 1993 is the same as a new NEO minus the engines - so with the NEO delays a 25-30 year old CEO is still your next best bet .

Lightsaber wrote:

I know the background of easyjet and that old planes are not bad, my question is with the new player on the market and a lot of legacy airlines also in the market for old planes where will Lauda Motion get theirs from?

NEO upgrades avionics and some actuators to give better maintenance diagnostics.

New A32x have better coatings, new materials in the wings clips (prevents the island hoping corrosion issue) and there are many PIPs.

I'm forgetting the line number reinforcement started for Sharklets too.

So there are actually numberous little improvements that cut costs and downtime for newer aircraft.

There are plenty vof airlines selling. With 1366 A319s on the market, no one is dependent on Easyjet for supplies. The NEO engine production issues will be resolved soon freeing up those Easyjet A319s anyway.

The A32x family has what is called a liquid aftermarket. Demand rises and falls which just changes the transaction price. Due to the expanding global economy and NEO engine shortage, demand is high. A few years ago demand was low, so some A32x were scrapped. Judging by the surge in NEo and MAX deliveries, CFM has overcome their bottlenecks recently.

The airlines complaining about lack of Pratt spares shows they are still behind the curve.

Procuring the small number desired shouldn't be too bad.

Assuming Pratt puts PW1100G production into gear, Indigo will start releasing CEOs quickly and that includes IIRC 11 CFM powered examples. While A320s, there is a hand me down effect.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Aisak

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:15 pm

Blerg wrote:
So they plan on doubling their fleet by next summer? I guess VIE will become extremely crowded next year as I am sure Level and Wizz Air will also expand their Viennese fleet.

And Easyjet EU. But expanding the fleet doesn't mean all the new planes (or current for that matter) have to be based in VIE. Holding a EU/Austrian AOC means they can wear the Austrian flag but be based in France or Italy for example.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but Vueling/Level Austrian legal entity could be a way to transfer Vueling ES (and FCO.... and AMS) operation under the austrian flag. It's tricky they chose to operate under the level brand for VIE shorthaul instead of established Vueling.
That way IAG could use the current VY/VLG AOC for Level longhaul operations in BCN. Also It would void the "political concerns" about Vueling operative efficiencies in Spain as the competent authorities would be the Austrian ones. Not likely but you can expect anything in this business lately...

Samrnpage wrote:
Whats everyones thoughts on why they are staying with Airbus? It would be very easy to switch over to 738s.

Very easy..... should they have the crew to operate them. And that's not that easy for the Irish to accomplish as it was in the past.
This also means the can not only fish for 738 crew members but also for A320 Series. Being Austrian-registered the airline can fly thoughtout the entire EU.
Last edited by Aisak on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrianDromey

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:22 pm

It’s interesting that the publicity rendering depicts IAE engines. Laudamotion currentky uses CFM engines. Nikki (like AeroLloyd before it) was originally an IAE operator, although switched to CFM at some point. I assume to maintain commonality with AB.

FR are, of course, one of CFMs largest customers with the 738/8MAX. I wonder if FR think IAEs might be a good idea, maybe to keep CFM honest? It’s not unprecedented, AA, IAG and LH operate mixed engines on their A32x. I’m sure others do too.

1989worstyear

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:50 pm

lightsaber wrote:
devron wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Waterbomber wrote:

1989worstyear wrote:

Lightsaber wrote:

NEO upgrades avionics and some actuators to give better maintenance diagnostics.

New A32x have better coatings, new materials in the wings clips (prevents the island hoping corrosion issue) and there are many PIPs.

So there are actually numberous little improvements that cut costs and downtime for newer aircraft.

There are plenty vof airlines selling. With 1366 A319s on the market, no one is dependent on Easyjet for supplies. The NEO engine production issues will be resolved soon freeing up those Easyjet A319s anyway.

The A32x family has what is called a liquid aftermarket. Demand rises and falls which just changes the transaction price. Due to the expanding global economy and NEO engine shortage, demand is high. A few years ago demand was low, so some A32x were scrapped. Judging by the surge in NEo and MAX deliveries, CFM has overcome their bottlenecks recently.

The airlines complaining about lack of Pratt spares shows they are still behind the curve.

Assuming Pratt puts PW1100G production into gear, Indigo will start releasing CEOs quickly and that includes IIRC 11 CFM powered examples. While A320s, there is a hand me down effect.

Lightsaber

You could say the same things about the 763, but nobody except cargo airlines wants those.

The A320 is special in that in has changed so little in the past 30 years but still remains an industry leader. The 767 and 757 were dead about 17 years after EIS by comparison.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

lightsaber

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:55 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
It’s interesting that the publicity rendering depicts IAE engines. Laudamotion currentky uses CFM engines. Nikki (like AeroLloyd before it) was originally an IAE operator, although switched to CFM at some point. I assume to maintain commonality with AB.

FR are, of course, one of CFMs largest customers with the 738/8MAX. I wonder if FR think IAEs might be a good idea, maybe to keep CFM honest? It’s not unprecedented, AA, IAG and LH operate mixed engines on their A32x. I’m sure others do too.

With various PBTH plans available, it is cheaper to switch engines than before. Indigo has 11 CFM powered A320, however they were hit with high maintenance bills... Downside of not knowing the new engines.

Lightsaber

eurowings

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:03 pm

The livery is great, the format is also in keeping with the Ryanair livery (billboard style with logo on the tail). Say what you want about the business but I think the Ryanair Group definitely has the best liveries among the European LCCs! Very smart compared to easyJet, Wizz, Vueling etc...
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

FL420

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Looks nice, good luck to them. Alas, another LCC surpasses LH in terms of looks.

offloaded

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Funny that MOL and Gruber are pictured with two female models/FAs, but there's no more grid girls in F1.

Good to see FAO VIE as a route.

Any idea how FR's long haul deal with UX is working out?
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

luv2cattlecall

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:19 pm

1989worstyear wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
devron wrote:

Lightsaber

You could say the same things about the 763, but nobody except cargo airlines wants those.

The A320 is special in that in has changed so little in the past 30 years but still remains an industry leader. The 767 and 757 were dead about 17 years after EIS by comparison.

My gut told me that you were wrong, but upon research, wow, surprised how little has changed overall. Certainly the things they did changed have a strong impact, but the number of things wasn't some huge list like I expected.

Although, I thought I once read that Airbus had been adding incremental upgrades at various times through the years, instead of waiting for the NEO to do everything?

1989worstyear

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:43 pm

luv2cattlecall wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

My gut told me that you were wrong, but upon research, wow, surprised how little has changed overall. Certainly the things they did changed have a strong impact, but the number of things wasn't some huge list like I expected.

Although, I thought I once read that Airbus had been adding incremental upgrades at various times through the years, instead of waiting for the NEO to do everything?

Certain parts and systems have been upgraded since the first -200 rolled out of Toulouse in '88, but I guess my point is that these improvements aren't any different from any longer-lived variant like the 763 or A306, for example.

Changing a wing for instance is much more significant than introducing a new CSS or CIDS, for example.

Newbiepilot

Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:40 am

1989worstyear wrote:
devron wrote:

An A320 from 1993 is the same as a new NEO minus the engines - so with the NEO delays a 25-30 year old CEO is still your next best bet.

Dude, you dont know what you are talking about. A modern A320 does not navigate like an original A320 at all. The original A320 had no GPS, ILS CAT IIIb, RNAV, RVSI, modern FMC, EFIS, ADSB, etc. To get a 1993 vintage A320 fully capable of flying today in Europe, an airline would spend around $1 million in avionics upgrades. I assume you have never sat in the flight deck of a modern jet. 1988 was still the dark ages of navigation.

smartplane

Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:02 am

lightsaber wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:

With various PBTH plans available, it is cheaper to switch engines than before. Indigo has 11 CFM powered A320, however they were hit with high maintenance bills... Downside of not knowing the new engines.

Most leasors now insist on PBTH, even with NB engines, unless leasee is US3, E3, or similar. More flexibility when leasing used aircraft, but generally if engines already on PBTH, leasor won't want to lapse unless the leasee undertakes to cover the re-join fees as part of the end of lease payment.

1989worstyear

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:18 am

Newbiepilot wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:
devron wrote:

Dude, you dont know what you are talking about. A modern A320 does not navigate like an original A320 at all. The original A320 had no GPS, ILS CAT IIIb, RNAV, RVSI, modern FMC, EFIS, ADSB, etc. To get a 1993 vintage A320 fully capable of flying today in Europe, an airline would spend around $1 million in avionics upgrades. I assume you have never sat in the flight deck of a modern jet. 1988 was still the dark ages of navigation.

DLH was able to do it easily. Also, "new" 763 freighters are getting LCD's and newer FMC's so why is that different for the A320?

The A320 is simply a design introduced when innovation started taking a nose dive and therefore is still state of the art 30 years later. Gen x and millenial morons just need to realize they have had nothing original to give for commercial aviation.

Newbiepilot

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:38 am

1989worstyear wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:
Gen x and millenial morons just need to realize they have had nothing original to give for commercial aviation.

I dont see how your beliefs amd obsession with the year 1988 relate to A319s being brought back to service. 1990s vintage A319s are viable airplanes to replace grounded or delayed NEOs.

VSMUT

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:11 am

Newbiepilot wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:
devron wrote:

And the list goes further. The A320 Enhanced program improved aerodynamics, added improved engines and reduced the weight. There is a list of several hundred minor and major improvements made over the years. Even something as minor as replacing the original lights with LEDs.

1989worstyear wrote:
Gen x and millenial morons just need to realize they have had nothing original to give for commercial aviation.

"Millenials" were still toddlers when the A320 was originally built, and are only just beginning to come of age where they will be able to take the helm of major aerospace corporations. You can hardly blame "Millenials" for lack of innovation, when the corporations were led by unambitious and unimaginative "Greatest Generationers" and "Baby Boomers".

1989worstyear

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:23 am

VSMUT wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:

And the list goes further. The A320 Enhanced program improved aerodynamics, added improved engines and reduced the weight. There is a list of several hundred minor and major improvements made over the years. Even something as minor as replacing the original lights with LEDs.

1989worstyear wrote:

"Millenials" were still toddlers when the A320 was originally built, and are only just beginning to come of age where they will be able to take the helm of major aerospace corporations. You can hardly blame "Millenials" for lack of innovation, when the corporations were led by unambitious and unimaginative "Greatest Generationers" and "Baby Boomers".

LED's? That's really the best you can come up with?

The last 763's use LED's also, but it's still a 1986 airplane. Just stop it please.

VSMUT

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:26 am

1989worstyear wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:

1989worstyear wrote:

The last 763's use LED's also, but it's still a 1986 airplane. Just stop it please.

"Several hundred, including LEDs"

Perhaps you are in need of reading comprehension classes?

1989worstyear

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:39 am

VSMUT wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

"Several hundred, including LEDs"

Perhaps you are in need of reading comprehension classes?

Ok. Where is this list?

SQ789

Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:01 pm

Eurowingsa320 wrote:
I wonder when we will see there first aircraft in this livery

Probably around later this year maybe in Q4 2018?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

Blerg

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:00 am

Anyone know how Vienna has been performing so far and if any of the new entrants have announced some changes for the next summer season?

andymartin

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:01 pm

I hope O'Learys other hand is nowhere inappropriate.

Birdwatching

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:30 am

Does anybody know where Laudamotion is getting their new A320/321s from that I have read are joining the fleet in September? September is almost over?
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

Eurowingsa320

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:05 am

Tc-jpc ex TK airbus a320 spotted with the new livery

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpc4lcEgGQ2 ... oblo7e5bnz

Blerg

Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:29 pm

Eurowingsa320 wrote:
Tc-jpc ex TK airbus a320 spotted with the new livery

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpc4lcEgGQ2 ... oblo7e5bnz

I love it, it has a bit of a retro feel.

Any news on how they are doing so far? I saw they added several destinations out of STR.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos