Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Irehdna
Topic Author

EK EWR flight a "Brilliant Strategy"

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Seems that DXB-EWR is doing well. However, calling Newark a "small city in New Jersey that most Americans have never heard of" is a bit misleading IMO.

https://www.businessinsider.com/emirate ... ket-2018-8

NYPECO

Re: EK EWR flight a "Brilliant Strategy"

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:40 pm

The part about a small city was referring to Edison, New Jersey, not Newark. Still a useless thing to put in the article's title though.

Antarius

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:10 pm

Its business insider. Clickbait tripe
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

FA9295

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:16 pm

Antarius wrote:
Its business insider. Clickbait tripe

:checkmark: Yep. But they still don't clickbait nearly as bad as inc.com: viewtopic.php?t=1401779

dmstorm22

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:27 pm

People for years have noted the giant Indian community in NJ that are closer to EWR.

If truly EK suddenly discovered this wealth of a population in 2017, then truly shame on them.

Also, laugh at it 'not cannabilizing its JFK business' when they dropped a frequency from JFK to move it to EWR.

jayunited

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:42 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
People for years have noted the giant Indian community in NJ that are closer to EWR.

If truly EK suddenly discovered this wealth of a population in 2017, then truly shame on them.

Also, laugh at it 'not cannabilizing its JFK business' when they dropped a frequency from JFK to move it to EWR.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the article, this topic has been discussed a length on multiple threads on the site and others did EK and the Business Insider reporter just figure this out?
EK dropped a JFK frequency to add EWR that by definition is cannibalism, I'm guessing the reporter failed to take note of this small schedule change.

enilria

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:20 am

NYPECO wrote:
The part about a small city was referring to Edison, New Jersey, not Newark. Still a useless thing to put in the article's title though.

If it weren't for the airport, I wager nobody would have heard of Newark.

Confuscius

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:10 am

enilria wrote:

The airport is a blessing, otherwise Newark would only be known as the carjacking and chop shop capital of the U.S.
Ain't I a stinker?

Flighty

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:09 am

If EK did not know there is a high revenue global market near EWR, then it is a miracle they know anything.

Confuscius

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:55 am

Flighty wrote:
If EK did not know there is a high revenue global market near EWR, then it is a miracle they know anything.

I think they know where Jersey City is...
Ain't I a stinker?

VTORD

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:38 am

At this point it's anybody's guess how "brilliant" is defined.....

SurfandSnow

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:08 am

EWR *still* can’t handle the A380?!?!!? Are there plans to rectify this?
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

TWA772LR

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:36 am

dmstorm22 wrote:

If i had to take a stab at it, id say they dropped their weakest JFK frequency in favor of a prime time arrival/departure from EWR.

How does the timing of the EWR operation compare to their JFK timings?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Brickell305

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:17 am

dmstorm22 wrote:

You clearly didn’t understand what was written. The article said they expect to grow at Newark without cannibalizing its CURRENT JFK service, after already acknowledging that they shifted one of the flights to Newark. That means they don’t expect to reduce JFK any further while being able to grow at Newark. They’ve already informed the reader that JFK is at three flights now.

Brickell305

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:21 am

jayunited wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the article, this topic has been discussed a length on multiple threads on the site and others did EK and the Business Insider reporter just figure this out?
EK dropped a JFK frequency to add EWR that by definition is cannibalism, I'm guessing the reporter failed to take note of this small schedule change.

The article literally mentions the schedule change right at the beginning. Again, they don’t expect growth at Newark to cannibalize CURRENT JFK service. Not past JFK service. Not what it was once (4x daily) but what it currently is as in how it’s served now (3x daily).

NYPECO

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:09 am

enilria wrote:
NYPECO wrote:

I don't know about that. It is the largest city in New Jersey and is pretty close to NYC.

ltbewr

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:22 am

Newark itself is a relatively small city vs. NYC, but Northern and Central NJ, its primary customer base is over 5 Million in population. Add in another million or more from some downstate NY counties, NE PA and you have a major market. For those customers using EWR is a no brainer vs. the gauntlet of time, distance, cost and multiple public transit facilities to use if going to JFK.
EK's service from EWR to DXB is a great choice for many in the EWR side of the market, especially for those going to India, south Asia, middle east, cities EK serves from DXB. EK has far better customer service vs. Air India or via Europe, competitive airfares and via a well run, low hassle hub.

jfklganyc

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:45 am

Newark is well know for insurance companies, its portugese district, corrupt governance, and high crime.

You sell Newark short!

airzim

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:58 am

SurfandSnow wrote:

I believe it technically "can" handle an A380 movement, but would shut down operations given the spacing between the taxiways. Apparently LH just barely squeezes the 748i into EWR. Plus the banjo terminals at B would effectively render any adjacent gates and taxiways unusable. Perhaps the new Terminal A could be adjusted to handle A380 ops but wouldn't solve the taxiway issues.

As far as I know, there are no plans to accommodate an A380 at EWR. And frankly given the limited growth of A380 operations worldwide, it just wouldn't be cost effective to make any modifications for a plane that likely will never show up anyway.

BaconButty

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:27 am

According to Schmid, the [Indian sub-continent] accounts for roughly 1/3 of the airline's entire US business.

Only one third? Much less than I imagined.
Down with that sort of thing!

SelseyBill

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:27 am

jfklganyc wrote:
Newark is well know for insurance companies, its portugese district, corrupt governance, and high crime.....

.......don't forget The 'Bing'.......

Polot

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:09 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:

As far as major airports go EWR is rather small in physical size. Very diificult to bring a A380 in without disrupting operations, and very difficult to rectify that.

jayunited

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:13 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
The article literally mentions the schedule change right at the beginning. Again, they don’t expect growth at Newark to cannibalize CURRENT JFK service. Not past JFK service. Not what it was once (4x daily) but what it currently is as in how it’s served now (3x daily).

A schedule change implies moving a flights departure/arrival time, it does not mean moving a frequency from one airport to another. If they didn't expect their EWR service to have an impact on the JFK service EK would still be flying 3x daily JFK-DXB and 1x daily EWR-DXB. However thats simply not the case, they canceled one of their JFK frequencies to launch EWR no matter how you and EK try to spend it this is cannibalism. EK could not maintain 3x daily nonstop flights on their JFK-DXB route while at the same time launching 1x daily nonstop flight EWR-DXB.

BaconButty

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:38 pm

jayunited wrote:
A schedule change implies moving a flights departure/arrival time, it does not mean moving a frequency from one airport to another. If they didn't expect their EWR service to have an impact on the JFK service EK would still be flying 3x daily JFK-DXB and 1x daily EWR-DXB. However thats simply not the case, they canceled one of their JFK frequencies to launch EWR no matter how you and EK try to spend it this is cannibalism. EK could not maintain 3x daily nonstop flights on their JFK-DXB route while at the same time launching 1x daily nonstop flight EWR-DXB.

@Brickell305 is right. The article concedes that current EWR service came at the expense of a JFK frequency. However, they say future grown will not. I don't understand what's got you and @dmstorm22 upset.

Hence the Emirates' decision this June to shift one of its four daily flights operating out of JFK International Airport in New York across the Hudson River to Newark, New Jersey.
Emirates expects to be able to cultivate new business from its New Jersey flights without cannibalizing the company's existing JFK traffic.
Down with that sort of thing!

enilria

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:39 pm

NYPECO wrote:
enilria wrote:
NYPECO wrote:

I don't know about that. It is the largest city in New Jersey and is pretty close to NYC.

Newark/Population
281,764 (2016)

Amazing that the largest city in NJ has only 281,000 people.

Brickell305

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:30 pm

jayunited wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

I'm sorry if you don't have the ability to understand what was written. However, the article states very early on that a flight was switched from JFK to EWR. It's stated right at the beginning. What it says is that the airline does not expect growth at EWR to cannibalize *again* CURRENT (as in what is happening right now, not what used to happen.) service levels at JFK. So basically, just to make it simpler for you, what the article is saying is that yes they went from 4x JFK to 3x JFK and 1x EWR however they do not expect any potential FUTURE (as in what has not yet presently occurred but may occur at some point) growth at EWR to affect the 3x JFK that is flown now.

MaverickM11

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:38 pm

An EK nonstop to a North American destination with a large Subcontinent population
I don't take responsibility at all

dmstorm22

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:44 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

I'm sorry if you don't have the ability to understand what was written. However, the article states very early on that a flight was switched from JFK to EWR. It's stated right at the beginning. What it says is that the airline does not expect growth at EWR to cannibalize *again* CURRENT (as in what is happening right now, not what used to happen.) service levels at JFK. So basically, just to make it simpler for you, what the article is saying is that yes they went from 4x JFK to 3x JFK and 1x EWR however they do not expect any potential FUTURE (as in what has not yet presently occurred but may occur at some point) growth at EWR to affect the 3x JFK that is flown now.

I won't speak for Jayunited, but at least for me, I take issue with the entire article.

I'm biased, as I'm Indian-American, born in Edison to two parents from India. I am that target market. Firstly, within the Indian community (which EK should have their fingur on the pulse), Edison is not some unknown city - or to a larger degree the Indian community in NJ. We've been clamoring for ME3 service out of EWR for years as something that makes perfect sense.

Anyway, back to the point, I also take issue at EK acting like this is purely a strategic move to shift a flight to EWR, not to somewhat also admit that they are reducing capacity from the NYC market (4x daily A388 vs. 3x A388 & 1x 77W).

You are right by the exact reading this EWR flight shouldn't further reduce JFK capacity (that said, wonder how they feel about AI's potential BOM-EWR flight that was mentioned on another thread), but I think that's pure EK spin to dress up what in reality is at best a move that should have been made years ago, or at worst an admittance they are starting to feel tightening in the NYC market..
Last edited by dmstorm22 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmstorm22

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:45 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Newark is well know for insurance companies, its portugese district, corrupt governance, and high crime.

You sell Newark short!

Don't forget the beautiful Prudential Center that was supposed to 'revitalize' the city.

STT757

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Newark is a finalist for the Amazon Hq2 location.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Brickell305

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:00 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
jayunited wrote:

I won't speak for Jayunited, but at least for me, I take issue with the entire article.

I'm biased, as I'm Indian-American, born in Edison to two parents from India. I am that target market. Firstly, within the Indian community (which EK should have their fingur on the pulse), Edison is not some unknown city - or to a larger degree the Indian community in NJ. We've been clamoring for ME3 service out of EWR for years as something that makes perfect sense.

Anyway, back to the point, I also take issue at EK acting like this is purely a strategic move to shift a flight to EWR, not to somewhat also admit that they are reducing capacity from the NYC market (4x daily A388 vs. 3x A388 & 1x 77W).

You are right by the exact reading this EWR flight shouldn't further reduce JFK capacity (that said, wonder how they feel about AI's potential BOM-EWR flight that was mentioned on another thread), but I think that's pure EK spin to dress up what in reality is at best a move that should have been made years ago, or at worst an admittance they are starting to feel tightening in the NYC market..

That I understand. I can see why you would take issue with that. I do think they were referring to the "average American" when they mentioned that it's a town most do not know and not to people within the Indian American community but I definitely understand why that would rub the wrong way.

evank516

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:02 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

If i had to take a stab at it, id say they dropped their weakest JFK frequency in favor of a prime time arrival/departure from EWR.

The nonstop DXB-EWR-DXB flight (EK223/224) operates during the day time at a very, very similar time to EK203/204 at JFK. EWR-ATH-DXB (EK210) departs at a similar time to EK202 at JFK.
Last edited by evank516 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dmstorm22

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:04 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

That I understand. I can see why you would take issue with that. I do think they were referring to the "average American" when they mentioned that it's a town most do not know and not to people within the Indian American community but I definitely understand why that would rub the wrong way.

I'm probably being a bit too harsh - and EK didn't pick the headline - but it's more that EK came across as acting like they looked at the map of hte US with a magnifying glass and uncovered a rare gem that no one had ever seen before.

That same 'Edison' (really all of North & Central Jersey) has supported non-stop EWR-DEL/BOM flights for over a decade!

dmstorm22

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:08 pm

evank516 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

The nonstop DXB-EWR-DXB flight (EK223/224) operates during the day time at a very, very similar time to EK203/204 at JFK. EWR-ATL-DXB (EK210) departs at a similar time to EK202 at JFK.

Think you meant EWR-ATH-DXB.

I wonder how much of the traffic DXB gets on that is from EWR-ATH and the reverse.

I believe EK does pretty well in getting people on their JFK-MXP-DXB runs that are only flying JFK-MXP/MXP-JFK.

MaverickM11

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:11 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

You sell Newark short!

Don't forget the beautiful Prudential Center that was supposed to 'revitalize' the city.

Newsflash. EWR serves a catchment area that includes areas besides the city of Newark itself. :roll:
I don't take responsibility at all

evank516

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:16 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

The nonstop DXB-EWR-DXB flight (EK223/224) operates during the day time at a very, very similar time to EK203/204 at JFK. EWR-ATL-DXB (EK210) departs at a similar time to EK202 at JFK.

Think you meant EWR-ATH-DXB.

I wonder how much of the traffic DXB gets on that is from EWR-ATH and the reverse.

I believe EK does pretty well in getting people on their JFK-MXP-DXB runs that are only flying JFK-MXP/MXP-JFK.

Yeah I did sorry. No sleep plus so used to ATL is having it's toll ;)

jayunited

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:23 pm

Brickell305 wrote:

I do understand what was written and I still stand by my statement this route already represents growth which came at the expense of JFK. Any future growth at EWR that specifically targets the Indian population in New Jersey will impact JFK. I'm will to bet if in the future EK goes daily double nonstop to DXB from EWR they would once again have to cut a nonstop DXB route from JFK or downguage one flight from an A380 to a 77W. The only way JFK will not be impacted by EK at EWR is if the future growth targets people traveling to European destinations using 5th freedom rights. It is obvious a majority of the traffic from this region if they were flying EK was traveling to JFK. A second daily nonstop flight to DXB from EWR will negativity impact JFK because it would siphon more of the traffic JFK-DXB depends on over to EWR-DXB.

I completely understood what EK was saying I personally don't believe them and I respect your decision to disagree with me and believe what EK has stated. However, if the day comes that EK goes daily double from EWR to DXB and they still maintain daily double A380 service to DXB from JFK please feel free to dig up this thread and I will gladly eat humble pie, but right now I believe EK is grandstanding and that is my personal opinion.

rbavfan

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:37 pm

airzim wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:

I believe it technically "can" handle an A380 movement, but would shut down operations given the spacing between the taxiways. Apparently LH just barely squeezes the 748i into EWR. Plus the banjo terminals at B would effectively render any adjacent gates and taxiways unusable. Perhaps the new Terminal A could be adjusted to handle A380 ops but wouldn't solve the taxiway issues.

As far as I know, there are no plans to accommodate an A380 at EWR. And frankly given the limited growth of A380 operations worldwide, it just wouldn't be cost effective to make any modifications for a plane that likely will never show up anyway.

The 748i does not barely squeeze into EWR. It can operate from any airport the 747 can use. Newark has dealt with 747's for decades.

rbavfan

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:42 pm

jayunited wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

I believe they cut from 4 to 3 flights a while back. So keeping the current 3 & adding the Newark flight does not reduce JFK service.

dmstorm22

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:00 pm

rbavfan wrote:
jayunited wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

I believe they cut from 4 to 3 flights a while back. So keeping the current 3 & adding the Newark flight does not reduce JFK service.

I'm pretty sure the cut was the same time the EWR-DXB non-stop was launched - or at minimum announced in conjunction.

It was not two distinct events.

rbavfan

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:35 pm

STT757 wrote:
Newark is a finalist for the Amazon Hq2 location.

And how does that make it a large town. Walmart is based in Bensonville, it's still a small town.

Polot

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:58 pm

rbavfan wrote:
airzim wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:

The 748i does not barely squeeze into EWR. It can operate from any airport the 747 can use. Newark has dealt with 747's for decades.

The 748 is 4m wider than the 744. For an airport as tight as EWR that matters. That means the 747-8 is restricted to certain taxi ways and taxi speeds. See https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/ ... roved.html

The 747-8 is a code F plane, while the 744 is just barely a code E plane. Being code F changes changes the minimum runway and taxiway width requirements. See https://www.boeing.com/commercial/aerom ... 2010_q3/3/

The A380 is a further 11m wider than the 747-8. EWR can squeeze to make the 748 operateable, but the A380 is basically a no go unless you want to halt all ground operations when a A380 is taxiing/landing/taking off.

yowza

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:04 pm

If Tim Clark wasn't already knighted this would have guaranteed it. /s

N649DL

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:14 pm

Confuscius wrote:
enilria wrote:

The airport is a blessing, otherwise Newark would only be known as the carjacking and chop shop capital of the U.S.

I've had more fun at McGovern's bar in Newark than I've had at EWR.

enilria

Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:04 pm

N649DL wrote:
Confuscius wrote:
enilria wrote:

Of course the bars at EWR are fun...and nobody has a gun...except sky marshalls. Yeah, you are right, stick to McGovern's.

N649DL

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:10 pm

enilria wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Confuscius wrote:

Of course the bars at EWR are fun...and nobody has a gun...except sky marshalls. Yeah, you are right, stick to McGovern's.

LOL McGovern's is actually a great bar - very friendly service and the neighborhood is up and coming.

JFKIceman

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:48 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:

The runway is long enough to accommodate it but there isn't enough space between the parallel taxiways. So if it were to come in the whole airport would have to stop for it pull into a stand.

At the stand it would has limited spots to go. Terminal B and Terminal C are the only ones that have customs, and as we know United owns that terminal. Leaving Terminal B the only place that it can go. If it can if it will block out a couple adjacent gates. So operating a 380 into EWR won't be ideal,

From what I've heard the new Terminal will have the capabilities to accommodate only up to a 767 sized A/C

PerfectGriffin

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:04 pm

A brilliant strategy? They were years late in launching the route, and even when they launched it, it was via Athens. Both of these moves prove EK didn't believe they could fill the plane to EWR.

jerseyewr777

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:35 pm

PerfectGriffin wrote:
A brilliant strategy? They were years late in launching the route, and even when they launched it, it was via Athens. Both of these moves prove EK didn't believe they could fill the plane to EWR.

I agree 100 percent! Very late!!! Headline should be "Shame on them" for not launching it 10 years ago! I work for a transportation company & they get a large amount of pax from Jersey City alone. Many we speak with are happy to finally see them at EWR. They no longer have to make that journey to JFK. Also, with TK resuming EWR, I wouldn't be surprised to see them do the same as EK & reduce a frequency at JFK.

klwright69

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Well, true, Perfectgriffen. And UA had India all to itself.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos