Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seansasLCY
Topic Author

Skywork goes bust

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:42 pm

It would appear that Swiss regional carrier Skywork has suspended operations due to financial problems.

https://m.bernerzeitung.ch/articles/5b8 ... 669a000001

seansasLCY
Topic Author

Re: Skywork goes bust

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:45 pm

davidjohnson6

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:54 pm

So what happens now at Bern and (to a lesser extent) Lugano ?

Samrnpage

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:36 am

Wasnt unexpected, another small independant carrier goes.

leleko747

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:58 am

It isn't the first time they bite some dust, right? I remember they had a fleet of Dash 8 Q400, Dornier 328... and a colorful blue/green livery. These were all gone, and they got some Saab 2000s.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

[email protected]

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:41 am

The curse of Airliner World strikes again!
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

terrificturk

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:28 am

leleko747 wrote:
It isn't the first time they bite some dust, right? I remember they had a fleet of Dash 8 Q400, Dornier 328... and a colorful blue/green livery. These were all gone, and they got some Saab 2000s.

They didn't 'go bust' then, but merely returned the Q400s as they were initially too large. They did earn money with the Do328 ops, but their cist structure was prohibitive from teh beginning. Outsourcing MRO to an overexpensive Third Party didnt help. Their management skills were poor from the start. Sad to see them go.

B747forever

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:32 am

[email protected] wrote:

First thing I thought of when reading the news! Anyway, sad to see them go.
Work Hard, Fly Right

flyingturtle

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:40 am

seansasLCY wrote:
Swiss regional carrier

*cough* I highly suspect most Skywork connections were international, but here we go as a tiny little country. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

This means Bern is more or less down to some holiday charters, business aviation, the federal government's airplane base, flight instruction, sightseeing flights, a glider base... and the Swiss Air Rescue still has a EC145 chopper there. Well done, capital of Switzerland. :praise: :wink2:

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Zaf

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:55 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Swiss have a great rail network. Easy to transfer BSL, ZRH, GVA and MXP.

BRN and LUG will focus on holiday charters

jghealey

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:56 am

They were grounded for three days last year due to financial issues too. But they managed to prove they had the money to continue operations somehow. Apparently Bern Airport is trying to arrange flights with other airlines to some of the most popular destinations. The only airline I can think would operate them is Helvetic? Although they use most of their planes for LX wetleases.

oldannyboy

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:07 am

flyingturtle wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:
Swiss regional carrier

*cough* I highly suspect most Skywork connections were international, but here we go as a tiny little country. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

This means Bern is more or less down to some holiday charters, business aviation, the federal government's airplane base, flight instruction, sightseeing flights, a glider base... and the Swiss Air Rescue still has a EC145 chopper there. Well done, capital of Switzerland. :praise: :wink2:

David

I know, sad, but in all honesty what can you expect from a city of that size?... The fact that it is the Swiss capital is fairly irrelevant in mere aviation terms, and especially as far as the global aviation market is concerned. Zurich and Geneva is where the money and businesses are!
It's called the "Canberra/Brasilia/Bern/Bonn/The Hague/Pretoria syndrome"!

SCQ83

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:10 am

What happened to flyBMI MUC-BRN service? It doesn't show anymore.

Number6

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:27 am

This a real shame. SkyWork seemed to have been caught by surprise here. They announced a new route from Vienna just a few days ago, and their management seemed to be ‘on the ball’ with keeping the company growing slowly without over taxing the finances. I’ll miss those Saab’s. :(

sixfootscream

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:46 am

[photoid][/photoid]
SCQ83 wrote:
What happened to flyBMI MUC-BRN service? It doesn't show anymore.

They ceased flying to BRN in 2016.

holcakker

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:49 am

B747forever wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

First thing I thought of when reading the news! Anyway, sad to see them go.

The problem was apparent when reading the AW article. An airline CEO publicly moaning about the price of spare parts (in detail) is never a good sign. Nor does changing the equipment back and forth.

sixfootscream

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:51 am

I flew them once on MUC-BRN. It was a great flight. Sad to see them go. I even considered apply for a job with them. Glad I didn't. It is sad to that BRN doesn't seem to grow. Could we possible see LH restart the MUC-BRN service or even fly FRA-BRN? I was anyways surprised that there is no connection to a major European hub like FRA,MUC,VIE,BRU,AMS and LHR to funnel connecting passengers. Can a CRJ-900 land in BRN?

Number6

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:08 am

It’s a tough market and a real shame. There’s been increased competition on some routes as well. They pretty much had Graz - Berlin to themselves, but easyJet just began operating the same route. The S2000 can’t compete with an A319. It’s a real shame to see them go. :(

Thibault973

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:17 am

sixfootscream wrote:
I flew them once on MUC-BRN. It was a great flight. Sad to see them go. I even considered apply for a job with them. Glad I didn't. It is sad to that BRN doesn't seem to grow. Could we possible see LH restart the MUC-BRN service or even fly FRA-BRN? I was anyways surprised that there is no connection to a major European hub like FRA,MUC,VIE,BRU,AMS and LHR to funnel connecting passengers. Can a CRJ-900 land in BRN?

AF flew CGR-BRN for a minute, operated by Airlinair's ATR42/72

juliuswong

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:22 am

[email protected] wrote:

I always wonder how many airlines which were featured in AirlinerWorld have folded. Lolx, can be a pretty long list.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

cougar15

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:47 am

juliuswong wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I always wonder how many airlines which were featured in AirlinerWorld have folded. Lolx, can be a pretty long list.

Oh well, at least we know not to fly a Sabb2000 around Europe on the weekend, as you won´t get parts till the ´Gerries´ open up on Monday morning!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

Number6

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:01 am

While this is terrible for SkyWork, Bern Airport will really suffer. It’s already in a tricky situation, trying to get upgrades to the runway instrumentation. Now a lack of a home carrier is going to really pile on the pressure. They’ve been working hard trying to get the airport’s profile higher among the French speaking population just the west, but without a regular service carrier, all that effort could be seen as wasted potential. It’s a sad day for both SkyWork and Bern in general.

jodieellis

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:10 am

Yeah this is so weird, so no airline flying to and from Bern now? Looks like Helvetic just offered it's seasonal operation from Bern to 10 cities in Europe using their Embraer 190.

jodieellis

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:13 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:

I don't think there will be any such commercial flight in Bern again with exception for seasonal routes that are offered by competitor Helvetic.

SCQ83

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:38 am

oldannyboy wrote:
I know, sad, but in all honesty what can you expect from a city of that size?... The fact that it is the Swiss capital is fairly irrelevant in mere aviation terms, and especially as far as the global aviation market is concerned. Zurich and Geneva is where the money and businesses are!

I reckon trains play a big role here. I just checked in SBB and Bern HB - Zurich Flughafen is as quick as 1h10' with no change train (I went once to Bern and I thought it was more!). Bern HB - Basel Airport is 1h15' including the change to the bus in Basel HB.

So really hard to compete with those two airports that have so much offer. Also it is not uncommon for Swiss residents to have a GA travel card or Half-Fare travel card which makes trains in Switzerland free or 50% off, making access to those airports much more affordable. For someone with GA card, travelling by train from Bern to ZRH or BSL is free.

sergegva

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:53 am

SCQ83 wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

I reckon trains play a big role here. I just checked in SBB and Bern HB - Zurich Flughafen is as quick as 1h10' with no change train (I went once to Bern and I thought it was more!). Bern HB - Basel Airport is 1h15' including the change to the bus in Basel HB.

So really hard to compete with those two airports that have so much offer. Also it is not uncommon for Swiss residents to have a GA travel card or Half-Fare travel card which makes trains in Switzerland free or 50% off, making access to those airports much more affordable. For someone with GA card, travelling by train from Bern to ZRH or BSL is free.

By train, indeed, Bern is well connected to the other cities in Switzerland, but for Ticino/LUG, it's another story. The quickest train connection between Geneva and Lugano still takes more than 5 hours, even with the new Gothard Tunnel! There will be a problem for business between Lemanic Region and Ticino, because a round trip in the same day is no more possible. To go from several daily flights to none is surprising, to say the least.

Number6

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:58 am

For Bern airport, it’s main problem is runway length. The Saab was pushing the limits in hot days and fully loaded, while Germania flew a few A319’s out of Bern a few years ago, they were payload restricted. Any attempts to legthen the runway is met with opposition from the community. Add to that some pretty lumpy terrain, and the pool of aircraft types that can operate from Bern is incredibly small.

Revelation

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:09 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Number6 wrote:
While this is terrible for SkyWork, Bern Airport will really suffer. It’s already in a tricky situation, trying to get upgrades to the runway instrumentation. Now a lack of a home carrier is going to really pile on the pressure. They’ve been working hard trying to get the airport’s profile higher among the French speaking population just the west, but without a regular service carrier, all that effort could be seen as wasted potential. It’s a sad day for both SkyWork and Bern in general.

Bern got burned, big time.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

airtrantpa

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:49 pm

[email protected] wrote:

I said the same the same thing abkut airways in the mid 2000s thy did wonderful articles on hmy harmony, Aloha, Zoom, etc and within 3 months they shut down
AirTran: Go there's no stopping you!
712,722,732,733,735,73G,738,739,752,753,762,763,764,772,A318,319,320,320,343,L1011,D8,M82/88/90

flown on all U.S based carriers that have existed since 1991

sergegva

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:55 pm

Anybody know if Lugano Airport is certified for the CS100, or could be certified for it? Runway lenght is 1420m versus 1508 for LCY. If yes, can LX relaunch this market? Some years ago, Crossair's GVA-LUG was quite sucessful, and the line continued many years after SR's demise, with FlyBaboo and Darwin.

konkret

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:09 pm

Seems like an opening for Adria and its Saabs.

stylo777

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:24 pm

sergegva wrote:
Anybody know if Lugano Airport is certified for the CS100, or could be certified for it? Runway lenght is 1420m versus 1508 for LCY. If yes, can LX relaunch this market? Some years ago, Crossair's GVA-LUG was quite sucessful, and the line continued many years after SR's demise, with FlyBaboo and Darwin.

They don't need the CS1 since they are wetleasing OS Dash's and currently sending them 4x daily to LUG from ZRH. They might as well route those through to GVA or even operate with one single aircraft solely GVA-LUG.

But (which is a very big BUT), the demand has to be there and the business case positive. Without any state subsidies I don't see any possibilities as well as chances in this regards, quite unfortunate though...

flyingturtle

Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Now, Skywork is officially bust.

The FOCA (federal office of aviation) intended to withdraw the operating permit on Monday, but upon agreement with Skywork, they only did so on Wednesday evening.

The reason? Skywork wanted to fly home Berne's Young Boys football team from their successful Champions League game in Zagreb.

Well, some travel agencies are really, really pissed now. The booking tools were kept open til Wednesday evening. Some local travel agencies used to book 75% of their customers on Skywork flights - after all, they have interlined and codeshared with KLM.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos