Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

irishpower
Topic Author

New Airports in Europe or North America?

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:34 pm

Will we see any new airports being built from scratch in North America or Europe in the next 20 years?

I’m not talking about extending current airports like FRA or LHR but rather new, large, international airports being built from the ground up.

I know about existing projects like IST (which is technically in Europe) and MEX but what about elsewhere? US, Canada, the EU?

Thoughts?

planeguy

Re: New Airports in Europe or North America?

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:40 pm

Well, as far as Europe is concerned, Berlin-Brandenburg comes to mind. :duck:

SCQ83

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:41 pm

PatrickZ80

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:49 pm

Not exactly a large airport and also not completely built from the ground up, but soon Lelystad will open as a secondary airport for Amsterdam. It used to be a small general aviation airport, but the last few years it has been expanded. The runway has been extended, a new taxiway and platform have been added and a terminal building has been built. If all goes according to plan it should open next year. Amsterdam airport is more than full and so they need a relief airport which will be Lelystad.

There are also plans for a new airport for Lisbon. The current Lisbon airport is located in the middle of the city and cannot grow. It also causes a lot of complaints about planes flying very low over the city. A new location hasn't been chosen yet, but I figure within the next 20 years we'll see something.

cranberrysaus

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:14 pm

I think a second ATL airport will happen in my lifetime. Whether that's in 20 years or 40, I don't know.

gunnerman

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:18 pm

In South East England getting even one additional runway is proving difficult, and a new airport in the Thames Estuary was rejected.

neomax

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:22 pm

Mexico City comes to mind.

As far as other airports, there is no doubt NY will get a clean sheet airport. When, I don't know. But NY knows they need it and the rest of us knew it 10 years ago. The current system is not exactly a disaster but is not a workable long-term solution as air travel continues to skyrocket. The congestion nightmare unfolding in London right now is at most just two decades away from being in New York and they will eventually have to be serious with themselves and put a clean sheet airport on the table. People can laugh all they want now, talk to me 20 years from now.
Last edited by neomax on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tys777

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:25 pm

Williston ND, has a new "International" airport being built from scratch set to open in 2019. Not large by any means but hard to do in this NIMBY happy country of ours.

http://www.xwaproject.com

OlympicATH

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:19 pm

The new HER in Greece. Current airport has been over capacity for years.

PatrickZ80

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:27 pm

OlympicATH wrote:
The new HER in Greece. Current airport has been over capacity for years.

That's not completely new either. It's planned to be a shared facility with Kasteli Airbase, an existing military airport. Besides it won't be a replacement, just an addition.

If this happens Crete will have 4 commercial airports (it currently has 3). Chania, Heraklion, Sitia and Kasteli.

flyPIT

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:54 pm

SJO replacement and eventually LAS will need a second airport, currently proposed at Ivanpah.

planeguy wrote:

irishpower wrote:
I’m not talking about extending current airports like FRA or LHR but rather new, large, international airports being built from the ground up.

OlympicATH

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:45 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
If this happens Crete will have 4 commercial airports (it currently has 3). Chania, Heraklion, Sitia and Kasteli.

Current HER is scheduled to shut down once the new airport opens. There is no need for two airports in Heraklion so close to each other.

Yes it’s an expansion of the existing military airfield but it’s a significant project and effectively a brand new civil airport as you say.

RCS763AV

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:35 pm

Not in North America but pretty close, CTG (Cartagena-Rafael Núñez International Airport) in Colombia will be replaced with a new facility (Cartagena-Bayunca International Airport) by 2025-7 if it all goes according to plan (if the unsolicited PPP project reaches final approval to start building).

SkyVoice

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:35 am

What is the status--if any--of the proposed third Chicago area airport near Peotone? And, is there any chance that Meigs Field (CGX) might ever be rebuilt?

globetrotter94

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:03 am

planeguy wrote:

If we're throwing up fantasies, might as well say Boris Island... or a 3-runway Heathrow :duck: :duck:

chunhimlai

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:42 am

New istanbul airport

Begues

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:55 am

For Europe it is easy to answer, next year it is planned that the new Lisbon airport will beguin contruction. It will be built in Montijo 42 km from the city centre and is designed to be easilly uppgradable up to and beyond 50 million passengers, the first phase will have 20-25 million pax capacity. Montijo will be built with 2 parallel runways from start and there will be room for additional runways.

http://www.lisbon-airport.com/new-lisbon-airport.html

gunnerman

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:20 am

But isn't the Montijo Air Base supposed to be converted from an Air Force base to a civilian airport and operated in conjunction with the existing Lisbon airport?

airbazar

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:51 am

Begues wrote:
For Europe it is easy to answer, next year it is planned that the new Lisbon airport will beguin contruction. It will be built in Montijo 42 km from the city centre and is designed to be easilly uppgradable up to and beyond 50 million passengers, t
he first phase will have 20-25 million pax capacity. Montijo will be built with 2 parallel runways from start and there will be room for additional runways.

http://www.lisbon-airport.com/new-lisbon-airport.html

Nope, That was the new Lisbon airport which was to replace the current one, which was to be built in Alcochete, not at Montijo.. That project was shelved years ago.
The new plan is to build a Low Cost airport at the Montijo air base as a reliever to LIS. As far as that goes I will file it under "I believe it when I see it".
I'm almost 50 years old and I've been hearing about a plan to build a new airport in Lisbon my entire life.

UWPAviation

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:25 pm

SkyVoice wrote:
What is the status--if any--of the proposed third Chicago area airport near Peotone? And, is there any chance that Meigs Field (CGX) might ever be rebuilt?

Meigs Field can never be rebuilt. They tore everything down. They put up a pretty nice amphitheater on half it.

As for a third chicago airport I mean they already have it. Milwaukee and Rockford have both seen increased passenger numbers each year since the recession. Especially MKE has expanded tremendously.

My vote would be for a NYC area airport or for a second Atlanta area airport.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos