Jshank83
Topic Author

AA862 almost lands at the wrong airport

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:08 am

Apparently AA862 from PHL to RSW almost landed at FMY today instead. Got to 800 feet then pulled back up.

I guess I'm not 100% familiar with how pilots land. I thought most of them the time they locked into the glide slope from the runway, so shouldn't they know if they are on the right airport or not? Or if it is good weather is is more visual?

Either way a big mistake.

Saw it initially here. https://twitter.com/lmvanover/status/10 ... 72097?s=21

Flightaware here.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL ... W/tracklog

Hopefully this hasn't already been posted. I searched around for it.

FA9295

Re: AA862 almost lands at the wrong airport

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:22 am

Wow. 800 feet seems pretty close-in to realizing that they are attempting to land at the wrong airport. I wonder what took them so long to finally figure it out. The weather definitely plays a role in it, since Florida deals with thunderstorms on a regular basis.

There was a similar story several years back of a Boeing 747 freighter landing at a small Kansas airport by accident: https://www.cnn.com/2013/11/21/travel/k ... index.html

thekorean

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:31 am

Well, you know, close enough!

blackbox67

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:02 am

Here is some add info
https://twitter.com/JacdecNew

GoSteelers

Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:26 pm

The FAF for RSW is 1500, so 800 isn’t as low as you would think. However, this looks close. This happens often enough at Fort Myers where this isn’t all that shocking. There are procedures to try and prevent this from a controller point of view, but speaking from my own experience as an approach controller, you can do everything right; ie., Page Field 10 o’clock, 6 Miles, Southwest Florida International 11 o’clock, 9 Miles, report RSW IN SIGHT, and a pilot can still make that sharp turn and line up towards FMY. I’ve seen it first hand multiple times.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:05 pm

I’d bet, outside busy hubs, the majority of approach clearances are visuals. They save time, can increase runway acceptance rates. But, you do have to correctly identify the airport and not just focus in on a runway. RSW looks considerably different than FMY—it has a big terminal, runway is twice as long, a cargo ramp and FBO opposite side of the runway from the terminal; It’s south of the main populated area, not next to several malls and a busy street. Pilots who attempt or succeed at landing at the wrong airport aren’t looking at all the cues, they’re too focused on a runway.

Yes, after forty years, I’ve flown visuals all over, day and night, but the two of us up front briefwhat were looking for and tune in the runway navaids. I’ve never come close, too. Once, in the LA basin going into Los Alamitos, I had a co-pilot who thought she was too cool for school accept a visual. I asked where she thought the airport was? I don’t know, but we’re cleared for the visual. I tartly said, go back and ask for the approach even if is clear and a million.

GF

evank516

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:35 pm

I find it odd for RSW. FMY has two intersecting runways and RSW has a single runway. Don't you see the difference sooner than 800 feet? Those frequent thunderstorms don't usually come with low cigs either.

evomutant

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:39 pm

This is why I tune the localiser where available, even when flying a visual approach. Many operators require it.

It's not nannying, or a fear of flying the aircraft. It is situational awareness.

NYCSKYGUY

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:17 pm

evomutant wrote:
This is why I tune the localiser where available, even when flying a visual approach. Many operators require it.

It's not nannying, or a fear of flying the aircraft. It is situational awareness.

There really isn't any tuning in the Airbus. They would have a runway loaded and an approach loaded in the FMS....The FMS would autotune the ILS. That or have some sort of RNAV approach. But 99.9% of the time there is some RWY and approach loaded in the FMS just to close it out.

TWA772LR

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:48 pm

When pilots actually/almost land at the wrong airport, do they face disciplinary action? If so what kind is it?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

kiowa

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:12 pm

Has any US airline actually landed at a wrong airport in the last few years? I remember a Northwest Airline DC10 landed in the wrong country once but that was maybe 15 years ago.

stratosphere

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:12 pm

blackbox67 wrote:
Here is some add info
https://twitter.com/JacdecNew

The twitter is wrong also KPGD is Punta Gorda not FMY

kiowa

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:15 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
When pilots actually/almost land at the wrong airport, do they face disciplinary action? If so what kind is it?

The Northwest pilots both left the airline. One was fired and one retired. I believe the engineer/ second officer kept her job.

Antarius

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:21 pm

kiowa wrote:
Has any US airline actually landed at a wrong airport in the last few years? I remember a Northwest Airline DC10 landed in the wrong country once but that was maybe 15 years ago.

2014 I believe. WN plane landed at a tiny county airport instead of Branson. And in 2016 a DL flight landed at a military base vs the commercial one in South Dakota.

Regarding the Northwest one, didnt know about that.. some googling later, it was supposed to be DTW-FRA and ended up in BRU.

Whoops
Last edited by Antarius on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19:SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI BNA

TWA772LR

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:22 pm

kiowa wrote:

NW/DL has landed at the air force base in Grand Forks(?) instead of the airport.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

crj900lr

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:36 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

It all depends on the situation. Some disciplinary action is more severe depending on how severe the incident is/was. I would say in this case a meeting with the chief pilot is probably gonna happen and probably some recurrent training and possibly a demotion to f/o for the captain for a little. It really all depends how serious it is and what company policy might be.

nine4nine

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:44 pm

kiowa wrote:

Someone already mentioned the WN and 747 freighter incident in Kansas. But if memory serves me correct I believe an AA MD80 had either landed or did a touch and go after realizing that Whiteman Municipal Airport wasn’t Burbank Airport somewhere around 1987 or 1988.
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

Cactusjuba

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:56 pm

They were probably at about a 3 mile final when they started the go around. Hopefully they will be hanged, drawn and quartered to serve as an example to other pilots. Almost making a big mistake will not be tolerated. That would really promote a safety culture and get to the root cause.

crj900lr

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:00 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:
They were probably at about a 3 mile final when they started the go around. Hopefully they will be hanged, drawn and quartered to serve as an example to other pilots. Almost making a big mistake will not be tolerated. That would really promote a safety culture and get to the root cause.

Another wonderful comment on this site. I would be surprised if either of them lost their job.

DocLightning

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:04 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:

:checkmark:

Yup! And it is absolutely intolerable to realize you're making a mistake and correct it because it's the end of your career anyway as soon as you even *THINK* of making a mistake.

/s :roll:
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DocLightning

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:05 pm

crj900lr wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:

Another wonderful comment on this site. I would be surprised if either of them lost their job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

CrimsonNL

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:17 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:

I think you are confusing AA with QR/EK..
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

Tucker1

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:50 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:

There's something seriously wrong with you.

SuseJ772

I have flown into FMY but never RSW. I can see the happening. While yes FMY has intersecting and RSW does not, the approach in question is more than less parallel.

This doesn’t strike me as incredibly egregious. They realized their error before touchdown. Not “no biggie,” but also not the end of the world.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

kiowa

Antarius wrote:
kiowa wrote:

2014 I believe. WN plane landed at a tiny county airport instead of Branson. And in 2016 a DL flight landed at a military base vs the commercial one in South Dakota.

Regarding the Northwest one, didnt know about that.. some googling later, it was supposed to be DTW-FRA and ended up in BRU.

Whoops

Any idea what happened to the Delta or Southwest pilots?

jfklganyc

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:26 pm

Demotion to FO?

Haha. Likely not.

This is a loss of situational awareness that was realized and corrected.

A file letter, a meeting, perhaps some recurrent training...nothing more.

Airlines dont operate under fear...If they did they would be a lot more accidents

Cubsrule

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:37 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Demotion to FO?

Haha. Likely not.

Airlines dont operate under fear...If they did they would be a lot more accidents

While I agree with you about this particular incident, zero fear isn’t ideal either. The captain of 9L 3407 shouldn’t have been employed by a Part 121 carrier.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

CanesFan

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:22 am

jfklganyc wrote:
Demotion to FO?

Haha. Likely not.

Probably won't even be a file letter unless a loss of separation occurred as a result. Maybe a call from the FOQA gatekeeper. AA has a no-fault go around policy. This incident will likely be included in our human factors training in recurrent.

CanesFan

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:29 am

Cubsrule wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
Demotion to FO?

Haha. Likely not.

While I agree with you about this particular incident, zero fear isn’t ideal either. The captain of 9L 3407 shouldn’t have been employed by a Part 121 carrier.

Actually any kind of "fear" would do more harm than good. Recognizing, understanding, and learning from incidents like this are how the industry achieves as high a safety level that it has.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:48 am

[twoid][/twoid]
SuseJ772 wrote:
I have flown into FMY but never RSW. I can see the happening. While yes FMY has intersecting and RSW does not, the approach in question is more than less parallel.

This doesn’t strike me as incredibly egregious. They realized their error before touchdown. Not “no biggie,” but also not the end of the world.

They’re entirely different if you look at anything beyond the runway touchdown zone. I’ve been to both numerous times. The ONLY thing they have in common is they are parallel, 10nm apart. They appear very different, the terrain features around them are different, it’s not remotely the same. Fly with more awareness than the touchdown zone. Tunnel vision is the reason for SA loss. If a pilot is so task saturated that he or she can’t look beyond the runway at features to confirm the airport, they don’t belong in the front of a plane. This is PPL stuff.

Good on them for correcting things at 800’, but should never have happened.

GF

Cubsrule

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:53 am

CanesFan wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
Demotion to FO?

Haha. Likely not.

Actually any kind of "fear" would do more harm than good. Recognizing, understanding, and learning from incidents like this are how the industry achieves as high a safety level that it has.

There’s a point after which there ought to be consequences. What about a captain who had this sort of incident once a month? Once a week?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

CanesFan

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:05 am

Cubsrule wrote:
CanesFan wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

There’s a point after which there ought to be consequences. What about a captain who had this sort of incident once a month? Once a week?

And there is. There's a big difference between a one-off incident like this where the crew trapped the error and did the right thing vs the Colgan accident where the captain was known for being a weak pilot and ultimately wound up in the perfect situation to cause the most harm. Rest assured, if incidents like this become commonplace for particular crewmember, the company will take notice. At my previous airline, there was a captain who was repeatedly the subject of consistent complaints from his first officers. The company eventually arranged a "unannounced" line check and his qualifications were temporarily suspended until he was retrained.

Cactusjuba

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:12 am

Super80Fan wrote:
Hey, these are union mainline pilots, they could kill every passenger/FA in the back & survive and they'd still have their job the next day.
:liar:

So unfair. At my job if I slaughter and maim I'm looking at termination, maybe suspension for a bit if you're lucky.

Back in the good ole days they'd just fire your a[ ]. No investigations, no contractual employee termination policy, no "why did it happen and how can we learn from it" PC millennial garbage. :stirthepot:

SWADawg

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:21 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
SuseJ772 wrote:

They’re entirely different if you look at anything beyond the runway touchdown zone. I’ve been to both numerous times. The ONLY thing they have in common is they are parallel, 10nm apart. They appear very different, the terrain features around them are different, it’s not remotely the same. Fly with more awareness than the touchdown zone. Tunnel vision is the reason for SA loss. If a pilot is so task saturated that he or she can’t look beyond the runway at features to confirm the airport, they don’t belong in the front of a plane. This is PPL stuff.

GF

You’re comments are an embarrassment to the piloting profession. There but by the grace of god go I, is what you should have said. I’ve never flown a perfect flight, nor met a perfect pilot. I guarantee that you’ve had your share of SA loss in your long and illustrious career. If you say that you haven’t, then you’re lying. A little humility on your part would go a long way with your fellow professional aviators.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

kiowa

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:33 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Hey, these are union mainline pilots, they could kill every passenger/FA in the back & survive and they'd still have their job the next day.

The Northwest pilots were ALPA, union, mainline pilots. Neither one kept their jobs. I have no idea what happened to the SWA pilots. What a silly comment.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:22 pm

What’s embarrassing is the idea that “but for the Grace of God” is what keeps millions of passengers safely on their way. It’s humility and adherence to procedure, not the grace of god that kept me alive thru 45 years of flying. It was mid-day, clear and 10 mile visibility for the crew of AA862; fatigue is unlikely unless they were ending and all-nighter from the west coast, weather doesn’t look too challenging as they appear to be on a visual approach. Are pilots today so dependent on the FMS and the touchdown zone that they can’t do some simple pilotage for the last 10 miles?

Yes, I lost SA at times but it was at 200’ in an A-10 over Turkey or in snow showers in the Adirondacks not on a visual approach to a familiar US airport under radar control. I’ve been to perhaps a dozen funerals of friends who showed me how not to fly airplanes and nearly was the center of attention in my own after a mid-air. I don’t need lessons on humility.

Perfect flight, no, but never cocked one up where I made headlines with paying passengers. And I’ve landed in more challenging places than Ft Myers. Like in India with no navaids except a hand drawn map on an envelope or in a sand storm in Saudi.

GF

Caspian27

Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:04 am

TWA772LR wrote:
kiowa wrote:

NW/DL has landed at the air force base in Grand Forks(?) instead of the airport.

It was at Ellsworth AFB instead of RAP.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/rapidcityj ... 8.amp.html
Meanwhile, somewhere 35,000 ft above your head...

TOGA10

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:37 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

So unfair. At my job if I slaughter and maim I'm looking at termination, maybe suspension for a bit if you're lucky.

Back in the good ole days they'd just fire your a[ ]. No investigations, no contractual employee termination policy, no "why did it happen and how can we learn from it" PC millennial garbage. :stirthepot:

The PC millennial garbage started back in the 70ies, after the Tenerife disaster. Maybe read a bit about CRM and learn a thing or two.
Love flying, hate the alarm at 3 in the morning, love watching the sun rise at 5:30. It's all about compromises.

TVNWZ

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:07 pm

Might be interesting to listen to the CVR for the 10 minutes leading up to this I’m sure the company will.

Shortssc1

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:31 pm

Another example a few years ago in Northern Ireland.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... travelnews

The military airfield mentioned at Ballykelly has since closed.

crownvic

Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:02 pm

rbavfan

Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:15 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
SuseJ772 wrote:

GF

Yes they look different. But there has been no indication if this was the first time this particular pilot flew the route. If he was new it would make a big difference. After all did you know the difference before you saw them both?

Cactusjuba

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:24 pm

TOGA10 wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

The PC millennial garbage started back in the 70ies, after the Tenerife disaster. Maybe read a bit about CRM and learn a thing or two.

Recycle your sarcasm detector. :roll:

GatorClark

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:28 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

Probably won't even be a file letter unless a loss of separation occurred as a result. Maybe a call from the FOQA gatekeeper. AA has a no-fault go around policy. This incident will likely be included in our human factors training in recurrent.

Forgive me for asking, but what exactly is a "no-fault go around policy"?

BoeingGuy

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:45 pm

GatorClark wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Forgive me for asking, but what exactly is a "no-fault go around policy"?

It means no questions asked if the crew elects to do a missed approach for safety reasons. Even though it burns more fuel and adds more time, the crew can elect to do a go-around if it’s necessary in their judgement. They won’t get questioned for it.

jfklganyc

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:40 am

Im being quoted for info I didnt post above.

TOGA10

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:42 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:
TOGA10 wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:

Recycle your sarcasm detector. :roll:

Whoops, sorry...
Love flying, hate the alarm at 3 in the morning, love watching the sun rise at 5:30. It's all about compromises.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos