Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

binayak
Topic Author

India-South America flights . Commercially nonviable?

Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:54 am

Hello everyone. In a recent thread a topic of "exotic destinations " arose and someone told about South America. As of now there are no non stops between India and South america. My question is whether the market is so low yielding that even one flight isn't possible?

I took out a random route and saw the fares for BOM- GIG.

https://www.google.co.in/search?source= ... 95tXAcr3kY

As evident south america fares are much much greater than what we pay for India-US. So that means even if majority traffic consists of tourists , they are still paying good amounts and will continue to for a non stop if that happens .
Also distance wise the route I saw BOM-GIG has a great circle distance less than that of BOM-ATL ( a route which will happen next year)

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=BOM-GIG,+BOM-ATL,+BOM-JFK

So even after a distance much like typical ULH, high paying pax, why there aren't flights in this market ?

CARST

Re: India-South America flights . Commercially nonviable?

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:15 am

binayak wrote:
Hello everyone. In a recent thread a topic of "exotic destinations " arose and someone told about South America. As of now there are no non stops between India and South america. My question is whether the market is so low yielding that even one flight isn't possible?

I took out a random route and saw the fares for BOM- GIG.

https://www.google.co.in/search?source= ... 95tXAcr3kY

As evident south america fares are much much greater than what we pay for India-US. So that means even if majority traffic consists of tourists , they are still paying good amounts and will continue to for a non stop if that happens .
Also distance wise the route I saw BOM-GIG has a great circle distance less than that of BOM-ATL ( a route which will happen next year)

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=BOM-GIG,+BOM-ATL,+BOM-JFK

So even after a distance much like typical ULH, high paying pax, why there aren't flights in this market ?

The route is only viable if flown via Europe or via the southern US, by a European or US airline. Everything else is dreaming in La La Land.

Low yield, low demand, few business ties, few historical ties. A nonstop route would never work. It's not about the distance, but about the people wanting to travel on such a route.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:51 am

You could also do it using JNB as connection.
Or ADD maybe?
CMM as wel??

3rdGen

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:57 am

There's already a one stop option via ME3. If the Indian airlines got their act together it might be a good way to connect the Eastern part of South America to East Asia.

bsbisland

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:09 pm

GRU would be the largest market and ET, EK and QR already take care of this market. Don't think would be viable nowadays.

lightsaber

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:00 pm

3rdGen wrote:
There's already a one stop option via ME3. If the Indian airlines got their act together it might be a good way to connect the Eastern part of South America to East Asia.

Indian Airlines would need the connections EK provides to fill the plane with enough premium traffic.

I do not see this happening. ET would probably be the best choice of connections or Europe.

Lightsaber

dcajet

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:02 pm

EK, ET & QR already take good care of it from the continent's two largest business centers: Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo. Any nonstop flight would be doomed to fail due to low commercial ties, huge distance, lack of premium traffic, etc.

believeinflight

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:43 pm

The best I can hope for so far is a 5th freedom route through Europe by Air India, so maybe DEL-CDG-GRU

globetrotter94

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:56 pm

lightsaber wrote:
3rdGen wrote:

Indian Airlines would need the connections EK provides to fill the plane with enough premium traffic.

I do not see this happening. ET would probably be the best choice of connections or Europe.

Lightsaber

I don't know if ET is making much profit flying Indians to South America, but they certainly seem to consistently offer some of the cheapest fares, at least to Sao Paulo.

globetrotter94

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:00 pm

believeinflight wrote:
The best I can hope for so far is a 5th freedom route through Europe by Air India, so maybe DEL-CDG-GRU

Any particular reason CDG? I would think LIS would be a better stopover option for that particular route?

ojjunior

Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:29 pm

believeinflight wrote:

No thanks.

wenders825

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:14 pm

there's so little market. Indian populations in south america are miniscule and business ties are few

Spiderguy252

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:00 pm

South America is the only part of the world where India has very little to do with.

I suspect there are more NRIs / American Indians visiting South America from the US / Canada in any given year vs Indians from India itself.

Kadish

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:50 pm

globetrotter94 wrote:
believeinflight wrote:

Any particular reason CDG? I would think LIS would be a better stopover option for that particular route?

The best choice Is LIS n then MAD...why CDG?

believeinflight

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:34 am

Kadish wrote:
globetrotter94 wrote:
believeinflight wrote:

The best choice Is LIS n then MAD...why CDG?

I'm not sure about the DEL-LIS traffic being as big as DEL-CDG or even DEL-MAD/BCN

zakuivcustom

Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:39 am

wenders825 wrote:
there's so little market. Indian populations in south america are miniscule and business ties are few

Well, if you count Suriname and Guyana as part of South America (Which they are geographically, just not culturally), there are certainly tons of people with Indian roots there (aka "Indo-Caribbean", same applied for Trinidad & Tobago). On the other hand, no, those Indo-Caribbeans are not going to fly to India any time soon (Their diaspora are in UK, US, and Canada), nor there are any giant Indian corporations in Suriname or Guyana or T&T.

vadodara

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:22 am

It would be a stretch before India can attract the diaspora in Trinadad, Suriname, Guyana.

Better to try and focus on E Africa. Even Fiji would be a better bet.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos