Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260

Re: Irish 9/18: Autumnal aviation

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:17 pm

EI321 wrote:
I think they could get another 5+ years from the logo and livery if they wanted..It has aged very well, but there are very few livery's left that have cheatlines along the windows these days. The area where the green and blue lines stop suddenly aft of the forward doors does look a bit awkward. I think a KLM style refresh would work and wouldn't require the entire fleet to be painted straight away.

The uniforms are awful and need replacement, particularly the men's one.

Agree the livery when launched in the 90’s was so good and timeless it could easily do another decade with maybe just minor updates. I still have some of the original promotional material about the current livery from the time. It was a revolution and loved by all. Just hope we are not all dissapointed come 2019.

OA260

Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:57 pm

Norwegian Air Pulls Out of Belfast International

Norwegian Air has announced that it is axing flights from Northern Ireland to New York and Boston...

https://nitravelnews.com/news/norwegian ... rnational/

cc47

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Do people believe the 320s will be painted in the new livery and if so, will DVM, DEI and DEO?

shamrock350

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:50 pm

I wonder if the Aer Club branding has any subtle hints. Clearly some thought went into its design, they chose a unique font to the overall brand, designed an entirely new logo and it's easily the best looking of IAG carriers.

The logo itself is quite interesting, it's a recreation of the main shamrock but that's not obvious at first glance until you see the shape of third leaf in its outline, the lines creating the logo represent 'route lines" which are either spreading out or returning home to what would be the centre of the shamrock.

I don't think that particular design is dynamic enough to be used company wide from aircraft to letterheads or website to boarding passes but it could give us an idea of where the brand is headed or at least the logo and typeface options.
Last edited by shamrock350 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alancostello

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:50 pm

cc47 wrote:
Do people believe the 320s will be painted in the new livery and if so, will DVM, DEI and DEO?

I would say the retro would be kept around at the very least, the rugby liveries, maybe? Hard to tell.

shamrock350

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:55 pm

alancostello wrote:
cc47 wrote:

I would say the retro would be kept around at the very least, the rugby liveries, maybe? Hard to tell.

The deal with the Irish Rugby Team has just been extended for another three years, it's been hugely successful so I'd say the Green Spirit jets are here to stay.

The retro I'm not so sure about, it must be due a repaint soon and with other airlines this usually means it reverts to the corporate livery. It depends on how they feel about, it's been popular but if next year is seen as a year of new starts and fresh new looks it could be a victim.

Eirules

Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:48 pm

Dublin Airport tweeted an hour ago about 4 new transatlantic services in 2019. AA to DFW, EI to MSP & YUL. What am I missing?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

shamrock350

Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:56 pm

Eirules wrote:
Dublin Airport tweeted an hour ago about 4 new transatlantic services in 2019. AA to DFW, EI to MSP & YUL. What am I missing?

Norwegian to Toronto Hamilton...

Eirules

Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:10 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Eirules wrote:

Ah ok grand
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

Galwayman

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:20 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
TUGMASTER wrote:
Change the BA blue and red to two different shades of green for EI. Red and yellow for IB,grey and yellow for VY Blue and green for Level,two shades of blue for when AY finally succumb to IAG machine...

That sounds truly dreadful

Agreed - absolutely dreadful idea.

shamrock350

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Some of the previous logos Aer Lingus may currently be taking inspiration from.

A lot of comparisons to the KLM update have been made, personally I dislike the KLM swoosh as it looks like somebody slipped with the paint brush but Aer Lingus has a long history with dutch designers. The 1960s livery now featured on the Retrojet was designed by Willem van Velzen, he also did numerous posters, paintings and advertising campaigns for Aer Lingus which are still hanging in head office building and available to view online through various searches.

Aer Lingus could do a lot worse than take look back at some of those designs.

Galwayman

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:42 pm

shamrock350 wrote:

A lot of comparisons to the KLM update have been made, personally I dislike the KLM swoosh as it looks like somebody slipped with the paint brush but Aer Lingus has a long history with dutch designers. The 1960s livery now featured on the Retrojet was designed by Willem van Velzen, he also did numerous posters, paintings and advertising campaigns for Aer Lingus which are still hanging in head office building and available to view online through various searches.

Just lovely ... all they need to do is write ‘ top o the morning ‘ all over the aircraft and dress the crew as leprechauns and it’ll be so Oirish ... perfect , thank you

mast2407

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:49 pm

It’s the first time I even noticed the KLM swoosh. I was wondering what everyone was harping on about. I’m still wondering, because I’d agree with Shamrock350: it looks like a mistake.
Here’s to the diminishing hope of a 330 getting decked out in all singing, all dancing, glittering and dazzling green, with a Shamrock that lights up the runway.

cc47

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:59 am

EI-RJD and 'RJN seem to have been flown to NWI for EI livery painting.

OA260

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:34 pm

Galwayman wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Just lovely ... all they need to do is write ‘ top o the morning ‘ all over the aircraft and dress the crew as leprechauns and it’ll be so Oirish ... perfect , thank you

Maybe a bit of red white and blue to reflect both cultures on the Island ;)

shamrock350

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:58 pm

Belfast International Airport's statement on Norwegian is worth a read, even if just for a laugh.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 49744.html

Sounds like the place is run by some very mature and level headed business minds, much like the DUP they often throw money at.

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:09 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Belfast International Airport's statement on Norwegian is worth a read, even if just for a laugh.

Sounds like the place is run by some very mature and level headed business minds, much like the DUP they often throw money at.

Yes, they seem to have the DUP's talent for tact as well!

Just a question confusing me about the new EI brand. There is mention of it being introduced in January, but the first A321LR is not coming until (I think the second quarter), so presumably an A321LR won't be the first aircraft to get it?

(Hopefully it'll be 'EDY, which badly needs a repaint!).

Wonder if EI has made any progress on a replacement S/H fleet, in which case some of the earlier aircraft (CVx) won't be repainted?

AmricanShamrok

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:10 pm

shamrock350 wrote:

Very unprofessional by BFS. They also threw a very public hissy fit and released a fiery press release when EI moved their ops to BHD a few years back.

Skyblue39

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Having been born and raised in Northern Ireland, I can vouch that this is sadly rather typical up here - it has always been a constant blame game. Blame Dublin for having no APD and attracting NI passengers, blame the airline, blame everybody but themselves. BFS is an absolute kip of an airport anyway, they need to start looking closer to home. Suggesting that passengers in NI must take a "lengthy" journey to Dublin to catch a TATL flight is laughable. If they continue with this childish approach, airlines will think twice about serving this airport or risk being publicly lambasted if they ever decide to end a route.

JAmie2k9

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:00 pm

The routes keep coming for Cork, Ryanair announce 2 weekly Naples service for July/August.

Milan BGY back for July/August. ALC gets full summer season.
Last edited by JAmie2k9 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cc47

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:01 pm

Im from Cork and even we wouldnt say that hahaha.

Skyblue39

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Ryanair also have just announced a new Dublin - Cagliari route.

shamrock350

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Ryanair must be close to overtaking Aer Lingus at Cork in terms of routes offered, Aer Lingus probably still offer more seats on a year round basis but it'll be interesting to see their response, if any! Shannon meanwhile appears to waiting patiently for something from either airline.

cc47

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:08 pm

More brilliant news for Cork today. Fantastic.

OA260

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:10 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
Having been born and raised in Northern Ireland, I can vouch that this is sadly rather typical up here - it has always been a constant blame game. Blame Dublin for having no APD and attracting NI passengers, blame the airline, blame everybody but themselves. BFS is an absolute kip of an airport anyway, they need to start looking closer to home. Suggesting that passengers in NI must take a "lengthy" journey to Dublin to catch a TATL flight is laughable. If they continue with this childish approach, airlines will think twice about serving this airport or risk being publicly lambasted if they ever decide to end a route.

Very strong language bordering liable in the comments BFS representatives made !

AmricanShamrok

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:35 pm

EI up to their old tricks...today's EI135 (SNN-BOS) cancelled citing "KNOCK ON IMPACT FROM RECENT WEATHER DISRUPTIONS", aircraft then ferried to DUB and is now operating the EI139 (DUB-BOS).

shamrock350

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:17 am

kaitak wrote:
Just a question confusing me about the new EI brand. There is mention of it being introduced in January, but the first A321LR is not coming until (I think the second quarter), so presumably an A321LR won't be the first aircraft to get it?

(Hopefully it'll be 'EDY, which badly needs a repaint!).

Wonder if EI has made any progress on a replacement S/H fleet, in which case some of the earlier aircraft (CVx) won't be repainted?

The CEO made it sound like it would be launched on the A321LR but I'd say an A330 is likely to be first if it's being revealed in January. I think 'EAV or 'EDY would be a good guess, those are the two remaining A330s due a repaint as all the other have been painted at some point over the past three years starting the -200s and eventually the -300s ('DUZ, 'ELA) last year. The rest of the fleet obviously being new/leased and painted prior to delivery.

Aer Lingus hasn't announced plans to actively look for a short haul replacement. It continues to be an "as and when" situation with aircraft being replaced when leases are up, usually by slightly younger second hand frames, key example would be the ex-Vueling and ex-Aeroflot frames joining last year.

I believe around half the A320 fleet is owned including the early 'CVx registered aircraft so Aer Lingus might want a few more years out of them. The bulk of the owned aircraft aren't exactly old, the youngest four frames being just over 7 years old so there's very little need to replace those if ownership costs are low. The leased frames include the early 'DEx deliveries of which the majority had their original 10 year leases extended in 2014, I doubt they were extended for another 10 years but 5 or 7 seems likely which means either next year or 2021 is when those leases run out again.

OA260

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:30 am

Norwegian Airlines has flown 250,000 people from Dublin to US

Carrier announces milestone a day after row over its decision to cut Belfast services to US

Norwegian Air has flown 250,000 people from Dublin to New York state and Rhode Island since it launched its services 14 months ago.

The news comes following a war of words over the airline’s decision to axe flights between Belfast International Airport and the same destinations earlier this week.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 9?mode=amp

——

From Concorde to Capone: Model aircraft collection lands at Shannon

The world's largest collection of model aircraft has found a permanent home in Shannon Airport.

Limerick man Michael Kelly's lifelong obsession with aviation has seen him amass 2,300 diecast model airplanes over 50 years.
The unique exhibit includes model aircraft of 40 years old and more, featuring a range of Concordes, the Sunderland aircraft owned by gangster Al Capone from the 1930s and the full Aer Lingus collection.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/fro ... 55304.html

dstc47

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:39 am

Sunderland owned by Al Capone from the 1930's - how unlikely is that. There were no civil Sunderlands available before the end of WWII.
Al died in 1947 so the only "ownership window" is during a post 1945 military disposal, not likely to have been quick, until 1947.

Perhaps confusion with some other aircraft.

stratocruiser

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:54 am

shamrock350 wrote:
I wonder if the Aer Club branding has any subtle hints. Clearly some thought went into its design, they chose a unique font to the overall brand, designed an entirely new logo and it's easily the best looking of IAG carriers.

The logo itself is quite interesting, it's a recreation of the main shamrock but that's not obvious at first glance until you see the shape of third leaf in its outline, the lines creating the logo represent 'route lines" which are either spreading out or returning home to what would be the centre of the shamrock.

I don't think that particular design is dynamic enough to be used company wide from aircraft to letterheads or website to boarding passes but it could give us an idea of where the brand is headed or at least the logo and typeface options.

That’s a pretty hideous distortion of a shamrock and I sincerely hope they don’t use that to replace what really is a very iconic logo!

I agree with those who suggest the that the current quite unique colour scheme, perhaps with some minor modifications such as extending the cheat line forwards, would be good for many years yet, but sadly these decisions are in cold corporate hands!

Bill

klm617

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:16 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Eirules wrote:

Actually DUB-YUL is already served.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

ClassicLover

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:47 pm

stratocruiser wrote:
I agree with those who suggest the that the current quite unique colour scheme, perhaps with some minor modifications such as extending the cheat line forwards, would be good for many years yet, but sadly these decisions are in cold corporate hands!

Hopefully those "cold corporate hands" as you say it, have contracted a decent company to do the redesign. A great creative company can do amazing things with branding.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:18 am

Man tackled to the tarmac by Dublin Airport police after storming onto runway to make Amsterdam flight

A man who was late for a Ryanair flight from Dublin to Amsterdam had to be pinned down by airport police after running out of Terminal One towards the plane.

The man was seen by passengers already on board the flight banging on the window trying to get the aircraft to wait.

He then broke through a door and made his way onto the apron, trying to flag the aircraft down.

www.independent.ie/irish-news/man-tackl ... 59902.html

EI321

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:28 am

stratocruiser wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
I agree with those who suggest the that the current quite unique colour scheme, perhaps with some minor modifications such as extending the cheat line forwards, would be good for many years yet

I agree, EI are basically looking to fix some that is not really broken. I think that there is room for minor improvements. Retaining the current deep shade of green and changing the colors and size of chatlines, plus moving from straight lines into to a more curved pattern would look great and not require extensive changes to most of the fleet.

The way in which the lines stop aft of the forward doors looks particularly awkward on the ATRs as they done have any windows or doors in that area.

Also, with the new Cityjet RJ's joining the fleet for a year or two (they are due to be replaced soon) and the inevitable addition of Superjets or even CRJ's from cityjet or E190s from stobart, its probably worth looking at changing the 'regional' titles.

I think in reality we are likely to end up with less green on the aircraft however, probably something like LAN Chile's livery but with Green instead of Blue and Red.

AmricanShamrok

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:17 pm

EI321 wrote:
stratocruiser wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
I agree with those who suggest the that the current quite unique colour scheme, perhaps with some minor modifications such as extending the cheat line forwards, would be good for many years yet

I agree, EI are basically looking to fix some that is not really broken. I think that there is room for minor improvements. Retaining the current deep shade of green and changing the colors and size of chatlines, plus moving from straight lines into to a more curved pattern would look great and not require extensive changes to most of the fleet.

The way in which the lines stop aft of the forward doors looks particularly awkward on the ATRs as they done have any windows or doors in that area.

Also, with the new Cityjet RJ's joining the fleet for a year or two (they are due to be replaced soon) and the inevitable addition of Superjets or even CRJ's from cityjet or E190s from stobart, its probably worth looking at changing the 'regional' titles.

I think in reality we are likely to end up with less green on the aircraft however, probably something like LAN Chile's livery but with Green instead of Blue and Red.

Will the WX aircraft have the "Regional" titles applied to them? Or will they be considered mainline?

Ticketyboo

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:49 pm

EI321 wrote:
stratocruiser wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

I would agree. I think EI would get a far better response from their passengers if they quit calling them 'guests' and focused in stead upon improving the product such as an intra-EU Business Class, improve the Lounge in Dublin which is so below par that it's not funny, and add some real value to Aer Club.

shamrock350

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:44 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
EI321 wrote:
stratocruiser wrote:

Will the WX aircraft have the "Regional" titles applied to them? Or will they be considered mainline?

I believe it’s mainline. There was no mention of it coming under the Regional brand in the original announcement.

CFNFlyer

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:20 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Ryanair must be close to overtaking Aer Lingus at Cork in terms of routes offered, Aer Lingus probably still offer more seats on a year round basis but it'll be interesting to see their response, if any! Shannon meanwhile appears to waiting patiently for something from either airline.

Already confirmed last week that they plan to respond so more route announcements likely

The IAG-owned airline is planning to combat Ryanair’s bid for Cork Airport domination by extending its own services in the coming months.

When asked by travel industry figures this week if it was committed to expanding in Cork, Aer Lingus chief executive Stephen Kavanagh was bullish.

“We are the largest airline in Cork and we intend to maintain that position,” Mr Kavanagh said.
He said Aer Lingus would be making announcements in the coming weeks focusing on expansion in mainly European cities.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 69126.html

EI321

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:43 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
EI321 wrote:

I believe it’s mainline. There was no mention of it coming under the Regional brand in the original announcement.

They should just put cityjet titles on it in place of the regional ones and continue to run it as a niche route for the time being until the new partnership is fully established. Would make sense. I wonder are they maintaining full cityjet levels of service or going to drop it down to the same as Aer Lingus. The route has a high level of passenger loyalty from the business community and charges a premium, so I'd imagine the regular passengers wont want it to change. The main rival, BA city flyer, offers a higher level of service than BA mainline - free drink + snacks and larger baggage allowance etc.

ClassicLover

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:41 pm

EI321 wrote:
I wonder are they maintaining full cityjet levels of service or going to drop it down to the same as Aer Lingus. The route has a high level of passenger loyalty from the business community and charges a premium, so I'd imagine the regular passengers wont want it to change. The main rival, BA city flyer, offers a higher level of service than BA mainline - free drink + snacks and larger baggage allowance etc.

Good question!

My guess is they'll make it like Aer Lingus as they did with Stobart, but as it's LCY I guess it's also possible they might go the other way. If it were me, I'd make it the same as the rest of Aer Lingus for product consistency.

You can hear the screams in the Irish Independent now - "Aer Lingus charging less for LCY flights but passengers given FREE FOOD in latest rip-off scandal" ... yawn :)
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

mast2407

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:18 pm

Was passing through SNN this evening at about 6:30, saw an American 767 (I think!) on the tarmac. Any clues as to why it was there?
Also nice to see the BA 777’s getting some fresh air in Shannon.

shamrock350

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:38 pm

EI321 wrote:
I wonder are they maintaining full cityjet levels of service or going to drop it down to the same as Aer Lingus. The route has a high level of passenger loyalty from the business community and charges a premium, so I'd imagine the regular passengers wont want it to change. The main rival, BA city flyer, offers a higher level of service than BA mainline - free drink + snacks and larger baggage allowance etc.

Originally it was going to be the standard Aer Lingus product, charge for seats, baggage and food but a quick dummy booking shows one checked bag is now included even on the lowest fare and the ability to select seats is no longer available. It looks like the full service CityJet product could be continuing under the Aer Lingus brand.

OA260

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:14 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Originally it was going to be the standard Aer Lingus product, charge for seats, baggage and food but a quick dummy booking shows one checked bag is now included even on the lowest fare and the ability to select seats is no longer available. It looks like the full service CityJet product could be continuing under the Aer Lingus brand.

??

shamrock350

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:14 am

OA260 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

??

Ignore that and go to the next stage.

Kevin.

JAmie2k9

Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:21 am

Could be a glitch make the most of it just incase....

shamrock350

Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:28 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Could be a glitch make the most of it just incase....

The site has been glitchy since the small update to the booking process but the LCY route is the only one showing this. It also skips the seat selection process entirely, appears to be free at check in instead.

OA260

Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:39 am

shamrock350 wrote:
The site has been glitchy since the small update to the booking process but the LCY route is the only one showing this. It also skips the seat selection process entirely, appears to be free at check in instead.

I only ever get Advantage or Plus fares so would not notice it. I do have some flights to LCY booked for future but on each occasion it has let me select my seats. So its either a glitch or after thought policy change. Id be annoyed if any future bookings do not allow seat selection in advance at time of booking though.

AmricanShamrok

Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:23 pm

mast2407 wrote:
Was passing through SNN this evening at about 6:30, saw an American 767 (I think!) on the tarmac. Any clues as to why it was there?
Also nice to see the BA 777’s getting some fresh air in Shannon.

AA203 (AMS-PHL) diverted to SNN yesterday (I don't know the reason). It continued its journey back to PHL this morning as AA9240. You're correct in that it was a 763.

embraer420

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:15 pm

I fear the new Aer Lingus livery may look like this:

I hope it's not but IAG like white paint, BA, IB and VY all have white liveries. I think it would look good if they just removed the cheatline and changed the colour of the shamrock on the tail to a different shade of green.

A lot of people would be annoyed if the green went completely.

AmricanShamrok

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:22 pm

embraer420 wrote:
I fear the new Aer Lingus livery may look like this:

I hope it's not but IAG like white paint, BA, IB and VY all have white liveries. I think it would look good if they just removed the cheatline and changed the colour of the shamrock on the tail to a different shade of green.

A lot of people would be annoyed if the green went completely.

I share this fear - I’m picturing something similar to that image but with billboard AER LINGUS titles across the fuselage.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos