797
Topic Author
Posts: 1433
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:51 am

American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:26 am

In an internal memo, American Airlines (AA) confirmed that its fleet of 23 Boeing 767-300(ER)s will be phased out in 2021. Ryan Travis, Managing Director of Fleet Planning at AA, confirmed that “The 767 will retire in early 2021 as new 787s arrive.”

Currently, AA operates 24 767-300(ER)s, the oldest being delivered back in 1993. The current average age of the 767 fleet is 20 years.

IMHO, it's still quite a long time for the 767s to continue running Transatlantic Ops!

Here's the ling to the story: https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/aa-conf ... etirement/
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5516
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:56 am

797 wrote:
In an internal memo, American Airlines (AA) confirmed that its fleet of 23 Boeing 767-300(ER)s will be phased out in 2021. Ryan Travis, Managing Director of Fleet Planning at AA, confirmed that “The 767 will retire in early 2021 as new 787s arrive.”

Currently, AA operates 24 767-300(ER)s, the oldest being delivered back in 1993. The current average age of the 767 fleet is 20 years.

IMHO, it's still quite a long time for the 767s to continue running Transatlantic Ops!

Here's the ling to the story: https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/aa-conf ... etirement/


I have flown so many TATL & Hawaii flights on the AA 763's, I still love this aircraft for it's passenger friendly seat layout. I can remember flying them so vividly, routes that started on the 767-200 like BRU that ended up on the 763, but LHR-ORD, ORD-CDG, DFW-LGW, ORD-BRU & I was ticketed ORD-AMS-ORD back in the late 90's but AA never flew the inaugural flight.

I never knew the reason why they abandoned the route, well before the planned start date. SFO-HNL, LAX-OGG/HNL plus some domestic routes like JFK-MIA & SEA-MIA & LAX-MIA too. I will miss the 763's, my last one was Nov 2012 on HA from HNL to PDX.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
vorellanaj
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:58 am

Good retirement date , 767 product are inferior on AA widebody fleet due lack of PTV. Plus, the engines fitted are non FADEC CF6-80C2.

The newest at retirement date will have 17-18 years, highly probable to be converted to freighter following older sisters.
The aviation world will be bored if only twins fly with commercial passengers. I love 747s
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1198
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:01 am

Good riddance. The AA 767's are unreliable, dingy on the inside (particularly in economy) with an interior look stuck in 1987. The front of the cabin has been upgraded but the issue here is reliability. Just look at what happened to AA 94 from JFK to MAD on Wednesday this week. Took off, returned to JFK 3 hours later. Replacement aircraft did exactly the same. Both were 767-300ERs.
 
pabloeing
Posts: 586
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:14 am

¿How many widebodies have AA on order?
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5432
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:24 am

Awful planes in Y.

Awful!

Reminded me of an L1011 in the mid 80s.

From an aviation buff perspective, they were cool relics...but they cant be competitive in any way
 
User avatar
ricport
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:48 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:47 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
Good riddance. The AA 767's are unreliable, dingy on the inside (particularly in economy) with an interior look stuck in 1987. The front of the cabin has been upgraded but the issue here is reliability. Just look at what happened to AA 94 from JFK to MAD on Wednesday this week. Took off, returned to JFK 3 hours later. Replacement aircraft did exactly the same. Both were 767-300ERs.


Yikes. Just curious - what - if any - compensation did they offer everyone? How did everyone end up getting to MAD? Thanks!
 
asuflyer
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:47 am

The seats are the worst. The 1997-2003 deliveries have the original seats and have not been replaced since manufactured.
 
Andy33
Posts: 2446
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:08 pm

Well that's one more airline who won't be ordering 797/MOM planes as 767 replacements, then.
Now this isn't bad news for Boeing at all - they are buying 787s instead, after all. It doesn't mean that AA will never order 797/MOM at all either, just that the 767 replacement part of the plane's mission is getting less and less significant as the months pass without a launch date.
 
IWMBH
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:09 pm

ricport wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
Good riddance. The AA 767's are unreliable, dingy on the inside (particularly in economy) with an interior look stuck in 1987. The front of the cabin has been upgraded but the issue here is reliability. Just look at what happened to AA 94 from JFK to MAD on Wednesday this week. Took off, returned to JFK 3 hours later. Replacement aircraft did exactly the same. Both were 767-300ERs.


Yikes. Just curious - what - if any - compensation did they offer everyone? How did everyone end up getting to MAD? Thanks!


I don't know what the rules are in the US but as far as I know they don't have to compensate by law. EU carriers have to compensate the travellers for delays and cancellations by law, so I think they've to at least pay the travellers from the EU a certain amount.
 
RvA
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:20 pm

IWMBH wrote:
ricport wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
Good riddance. The AA 767's are unreliable, dingy on the inside (particularly in economy) with an interior look stuck in 1987. The front of the cabin has been upgraded but the issue here is reliability. Just look at what happened to AA 94 from JFK to MAD on Wednesday this week. Took off, returned to JFK 3 hours later. Replacement aircraft did exactly the same. Both were 767-300ERs.


Yikes. Just curious - what - if any - compensation did they offer everyone? How did everyone end up getting to MAD? Thanks!


I don't know what the rules are in the US but as far as I know they don't have to compensate by law. EU carriers have to compensate the travellers for delays and cancellations by law, so I think they've to at least pay the travellers from the EU a certain amount.


No compensation due here I believe. Flights FROM the US only have to pay out compensation if something within their control causes the delay/cancellation if its an EU based airline.
US carriers are only subject to this on the flights departing from the EU I believe.
 
IWMBH
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:22 pm

RvA wrote:
IWMBH wrote:
ricport wrote:

Yikes. Just curious - what - if any - compensation did they offer everyone? How did everyone end up getting to MAD? Thanks!


I don't know what the rules are in the US but as far as I know they don't have to compensate by law. EU carriers have to compensate the travellers for delays and cancellations by law, so I think they've to at least pay the travellers from the EU a certain amount.


No compensation due here I believe. Flights FROM the US only have to pay out compensation if something within their control causes the delay/cancellation if its an EU based airline.
US carriers are only subject to this on the flights departing from the EU I believe.


Thats to bad. This was probably a code sharing flight between AA and BA/IB does that make a difference?
 
RvA
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:11 pm

IWMBH wrote:
RvA wrote:
IWMBH wrote:

I don't know what the rules are in the US but as far as I know they don't have to compensate by law. EU carriers have to compensate the travellers for delays and cancellations by law, so I think they've to at least pay the travellers from the EU a certain amount.


No compensation due here I believe. Flights FROM the US only have to pay out compensation if something within their control causes the delay/cancellation if its an EU based airline.
US carriers are only subject to this on the flights departing from the EU I believe.


Thats to bad. This was probably a code sharing flight between AA and BA/IB does that make a difference?


Not as far as I know. It would go by the operating carrier not the marketing carrier.
 
Andy33
Posts: 2446
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:11 pm

IWMBH wrote:
RvA wrote:
IWMBH wrote:

I don't know what the rules are in the US but as far as I know they don't have to compensate by law. EU carriers have to compensate the travellers for delays and cancellations by law, so I think they've to at least pay the travellers from the EU a certain amount.


No compensation due here I believe. Flights FROM the US only have to pay out compensation if something within their control causes the delay/cancellation if its an EU based airline.
US carriers are only subject to this on the flights departing from the EU I believe.


Thats to bad. This was probably a code sharing flight between AA and BA/IB does that make a difference?

Makes no difference at all. US airline departing from the USA means that US rules apply. EC261/2004 is very specific that the operating carrier (not the marketing one) is the governing factor.
 
Newbiepilot
Posts: 3639
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:18 pm

vorellanaj wrote:
Good retirement date , 767 product are inferior on AA widebody fleet due lack of PTV. Plus, the engines fitted are non FADEC CF6-80C2.

The newest at retirement date will have 17-18 years, highly probable to be converted to freighter following older sisters.


It’s surprising to me that in one thread we have people complaining about cabin width and how 17 inch seats and 3x3x3 are so unbearable in the 787, and in another thread, the airplane with some of the widest economy seats is talked about as inferior due to age of the cabin and no PTVs. AA really can’t win here.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:36 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
vorellanaj wrote:
Good retirement date , 767 product are inferior on AA widebody fleet due lack of PTV. Plus, the engines fitted are non FADEC CF6-80C2.

The newest at retirement date will have 17-18 years, highly probable to be converted to freighter following older sisters.


It’s surprising to me that in one thread we have people complaining about cabin width and how 17 inch seats and 3x3x3 are so unbearable in the 787, and in another thread, the airplane with some of the widest economy seats is talked about as inferior due to age of the cabin and no PTVs. AA really can’t win here.


AA could win by putting pivot bins and AVOD in coach on 767s the way Delta did.
 
ikramerica
Posts: 14884
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:41 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
vorellanaj wrote:
Good retirement date , 767 product are inferior on AA widebody fleet due lack of PTV. Plus, the engines fitted are non FADEC CF6-80C2.

The newest at retirement date will have 17-18 years, highly probable to be converted to freighter following older sisters.


It’s surprising to me that in one thread we have people complaining about cabin width and how 17 inch seats and 3x3x3 are so unbearable in the 787, and in another thread, the airplane with some of the widest economy seats is talked about as inferior due to age of the cabin and no PTVs. AA really can’t win here.

AA could Have updated their cabins man years ago. It’s not an either or.

The reliability complaints remind me of the A300 fleet. But those weren’t that old when the issues started.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
planecane
Posts: 1078
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Andy33 wrote:
Well that's one more airline who won't be ordering 797/MOM planes as 767 replacements, then.
Now this isn't bad news for Boeing at all - they are buying 787s instead, after all. It doesn't mean that AA will never order 797/MOM at all either, just that the 767 replacement part of the plane's mission is getting less and less significant as the months pass without a launch date.


That's quite the leap. If the MOM ever exists and is cheaper to operate on TATL than a 787-8 by a significant margin, why couldn't they buy that for the TATL routes and move the 787's to other routes? Just because the 787 is more cost effective than a 767 doesn't mean that it will prevent any future order for a model optimized for these routes.
 
9w748capt
Posts: 1625
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:05 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
vorellanaj wrote:
Good retirement date , 767 product are inferior on AA widebody fleet due lack of PTV. Plus, the engines fitted are non FADEC CF6-80C2.

The newest at retirement date will have 17-18 years, highly probable to be converted to freighter following older sisters.


It’s surprising to me that in one thread we have people complaining about cabin width and how 17 inch seats and 3x3x3 are so unbearable in the 787, and in another thread, the airplane with some of the widest economy seats is talked about as inferior due to age of the cabin and no PTVs. AA really can’t win here.


This times 1,000,000. Give me 8 hours on a 767 any day before 8 hours on a 737 or 3-4-3 777 in Y. I can read a book for a few hours and not be tied to a screen for once. Quite refreshing actually!
 
IAmGaroott
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:27 pm

Andy33 wrote:
Well that's one more airline who won't be ordering 797/MOM planes as 767 replacements, then.
Now this isn't bad news for Boeing at all - they are buying 787s instead, after all. It doesn't mean that AA will never order 797/MOM at all either, just that the 767 replacement part of the plane's mission is getting less and less significant as the months pass without a launch date.


Though it hasn't yet been defined, I still think the 797/MOM has a place at AA. Their 757 fleet isn't getting any younger and lack fuel efficiency. A 797 would be great for western European and Hawaiian flights. Some might argue an A321LR order, but AA seems to favor Boeing for their longer-haul aircraft. Also, I expect the A321neo order to replace old LUS A321/A320s on a 1:1 basis.
 
IAmGaroott
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:34 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:
vorellanaj wrote:
Good retirement date , 767 product are inferior on AA widebody fleet due lack of PTV. Plus, the engines fitted are non FADEC CF6-80C2.

The newest at retirement date will have 17-18 years, highly probable to be converted to freighter following older sisters.


It’s surprising to me that in one thread we have people complaining about cabin width and how 17 inch seats and 3x3x3 are so unbearable in the 787, and in another thread, the airplane with some of the widest economy seats is talked about as inferior due to age of the cabin and no PTVs. AA really can’t win here.


This times 1,000,000. Give me 8 hours on a 767 any day before 8 hours on a 737 or 3-4-3 777 in Y. I can read a book for a few hours and not be tied to a screen for once. Quite refreshing actually!


I debated this with someone just yesterday. A middle seat on a 3-4-3 or 2-4-2 for longer than 4 hours will drive anyone mad. If I'm stuck in the center of a widebody in Y, it's the only reason I'd prefer a 767.
 
Austin787
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:39 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:44 pm

Enjoy the 767s while they last. Best economy configuration at 2-3-2, even if the onboard product is outdated.
 
AaronPGH
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:48 pm

Yikes, that's still a long time to go with such a worn out interior.
 
noviorbis77
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:50 pm

767 is a very nice way to cross the Atlantic
 
User avatar
tjwgrr
Posts: 2415
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2000 4:09 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:08 pm

More 767's for Prime Air.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.
 
Andy33
Posts: 2446
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:25 pm

planecane wrote:
Andy33 wrote:
Well that's one more airline who won't be ordering 797/MOM planes as 767 replacements, then.
Now this isn't bad news for Boeing at all - they are buying 787s instead, after all. It doesn't mean that AA will never order 797/MOM at all either, just that the 767 replacement part of the plane's mission is getting less and less significant as the months pass without a launch date.


That's quite the leap. If the MOM ever exists and is cheaper to operate on TATL than a 787-8 by a significant margin, why couldn't they buy that for the TATL routes and move the 787's to other routes? Just because the 787 is more cost effective than a 767 doesn't mean that it will prevent any future order for a model optimized for these routes.


But if the earliest a MOM could possibly go into quantity production is 2025/26, which seems to be the consensus here, and AA intends to replace all its 767s by 2021, then any future AA order for MOM planes won't be as 767 replacements, will it? It may be because AA believes the new model is ideal for some of its routes, including TATL, but it won't be because there is a pressing need to replace 767s, since there will be no 767s by then.

Instead, if they do eventually come to believe that a 788 is too much plane for TATL work (which remains to be seen), they'll have to find something decidedly profitable for those 788s to do instead that allows them to justify the capital expenditure of buying MOMs for these routes. Organic growth would probably take care of that over time, but not overnight.
 
MCIRNO
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:44 pm

RWA380 wrote:
SFO-HNL, LAX-OGG/HNL plus some domestic routes like JFK-MIA & SEA-MIA & LAX-MIA too. I will miss the 763's, my last one was Nov 2012 on HA from HNL to PDX.


My first 767 flight was AA39 SFO-HNL...and then I promptly flew it annually, even when they switched it to a 757 for a year or so after 9/11. I miss having the odd ball SFO-HNL flights by DL, NW, CO, and AA
 
727200
Posts: 633
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:45 pm

I love how people post they are happy this plane is going away because it doesn't have PTV's and that qualifies it as the worst plane flying? Or that they break so that is another mark against them.

Does your car break every now and then? Do you have a computer or phone to entertain yourself? Do these same poster's watch Sponge Bob?
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2398
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:55 pm

planecane wrote:
Andy33 wrote:
Well that's one more airline who won't be ordering 797/MOM planes as 767 replacements, then.
Now this isn't bad news for Boeing at all - they are buying 787s instead, after all. It doesn't mean that AA will never order 797/MOM at all either, just that the 767 replacement part of the plane's mission is getting less and less significant as the months pass without a launch date.


That's quite the leap. If the MOM ever exists and is cheaper to operate on TATL than a 787-8 by a significant margin, why couldn't they buy that for the TATL routes and move the 787's to other routes? Just because the 787 is more cost effective than a 767 doesn't mean that it will prevent any future order for a model optimized for these routes.


Also what exactly is meant by transatlantic? Does it mean any flight that crosses the Atlantic or east coast US to Europe? Even if 787-8's are too much plane for shorter transatlantic routes compared to an eventual MOM, they are still very efficient compared to existing 767's. Even if 787-8's were bought to replace 767's now, they could later be put on longer and thinner routes to Europe from hubs located further west like DFW and LAX when MOM's. Also that 787's could be used on routes where cargo is more important.
 
bgm
Posts: 2135
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:04 pm

727200 wrote:
I love how people post they are happy this plane is going away because it doesn't have PTV's and that qualifies it as the worst plane flying? Or that they break so that is another mark against them.

Does your car break every now and then? Do you have a computer or phone to entertain yourself? Do these same poster's watch Sponge Bob?


Do you yell at people to get off your lawn? ;)

The 767s have dispatch reliability issues with AA compared to other fleet types. I don't mind the old seats so much, but the minuscule overhead bins create headaches for everyone's kitchen sink that they bring onboard.
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]
 
ikramerica
Posts: 14884
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:34 pm

787s can act as 767 replacements now and then become 772 replacements later when MOMs come in that are more efficient as TATL birds. It’s not an either/or.

One would also assume that by 2025 there would be at least one more 787 engine PIP that would add to its range/efficiency as a 777 replacement.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2206
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:44 pm

Slightly off topic...TAM flies their 767s between various cities in Brazil and MIA. Do they experience reliability problems with their 767s?
 
INFINITI329
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:46 pm

If the 797 comes to fruition, I fully expect AA to convert some 787 options to the 797
 
1989worstyear
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:22 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Slightly off topic...TAM flies their 767s between various cities in Brazil and MIA. Do they experience reliability problems with their 767s?


Probably. EIS was still well before 1988.

They're dumping several built in 2006 and this will continue through next year - you don't see this happening to 12/13 year old A320's, 777's, or A330's.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...
 
musman9853
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:48 pm

thank god. take all of american's 767s and 757s and burn them asap please.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
ahj2000
Posts: 1175
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:52 pm

What they really should've done was refitted them almost five years ago when they announced the mega-refresh. It's ridiculous that his has gone on for so long. LA and DL have 767s I'd actually seek out over the 787/777.
-Andrés Juánez
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 17910
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:15 pm

1989worstyear wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
Slightly off topic...TAM flies their 767s between various cities in Brazil and MIA. Do they experience reliability problems with their 767s?


Probably. EIS was still well before 1988.

They're dumping several built in 2006 and this will continue through next year - you don't see this happening to 12/13 year old A320's, 777's, or A330's.

12 years is a normal lease term.A320s.
Indigo was rolling A320s off lease even earlier.

Right now there is a very healthy 767P2F market. There is demand which boosts the resale value of <20 year old 767s.

And EK is rolling 12 year old 777s off leases. So it happens to every aircraft sold in large quantity.

I believe AA realizes these 763ERs will drop in value dramatically if not sold with enough life to justify conversion.

Viable 767 conversion stock is getting scarce. AA has enough aircraft on order to take advantage of the selling opportunity.

The reality is the A321LR, 787, and A350 will squeeze the resale value of prior generation widebodies. Excluding the late build 763ER pax aircraft sold at reduced prices as compensation for late 787s, there just isn't much great stock left. AA was probably made an offer on these 767s.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
User avatar
American 767
Posts: 4425
Joined: Wed May 19, 1999 7:27 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:25 pm

It sounds like they will be converted to freighters, or at least some of then, and have some time left to fly cargo once they leave AA. It reminds me when 30 years ago in the late 80s Delta and United announced the retirement of their last DC-8s and some of those got converted to freighters. Back then there were a lot of DC-8s around the world flying as freighters and a few still flying as passenger haulers. Now it's the same with the 767.

So by 2021 American will have phased out from its fleet three aircraft types, the 767, the MD-80 which will be gone end of next year, and the E-190. Gone also by 2021 will be the ex-US 757s currently doing PHX-Hawaii runs. By the time the last 763 leaves the 77E retirement will begin I would presume, and the 738 retirement will have begun that we know already. However the 24 remaining nAAtive 757s will still be in the fleet as far as we know up to this point, or at least some of those 24 aircraft. American hasn't said anything yet about the retirement of the last 757s.
Ben Soriano
 
planecane
Posts: 1078
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:30 pm

On, let's say a 4500 nmi trip, what is the approximate fuel burn of a 787-8 vs. 767-300ER?
 
User avatar
American 767
Posts: 4425
Joined: Wed May 19, 1999 7:27 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:58 pm

planecane wrote:
On, let's say a 4500 nmi trip, what is the approximate fuel burn of a 787-8 vs. 767-300ER?


About 20% less for a 787. Let's say a 767 will burn 85000 lbs of fuel, a 787 will only burn 70000 lbs of fuel on the same distance flown.
Ben Soriano
 
planecane
Posts: 1078
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:08 pm

American 767 wrote:
planecane wrote:
On, let's say a 4500 nmi trip, what is the approximate fuel burn of a 787-8 vs. 767-300ER?


About 20% less for a 787. Let's say a 767 will burn 85000 lbs of fuel, a 787 will only burn 70000 lbs of fuel on the same distance flown.


I know that the 20% is Boeing's marketing but I assume they are using per seat numbers and choosing a disatance where the 787-8 has the biggest advantage. I was curious in the real world for a shortish trip what the difference would be.
 
SPREE34
Posts: 1730
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:09 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:35 pm

musman9853 wrote:
thank god. take all of american's 767s and 757s and burn them asap please.


What is your age?
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.
 
deltal1011man
Posts: 5332
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:17 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:57 pm

1989worstyear wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
Slightly off topic...TAM flies their 767s between various cities in Brazil and MIA. Do they experience reliability problems with their 767s?


Probably. EIS was still well before 1988.

They're dumping several built in 2006 and this will continue through next year - you don't see this happening to 12/13 year old A320's, 777's, or A330's.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

as much as you want this to be true....it isn't and EIS of the type has (repeat after me) NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIABILITY
 
AA747123
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:19 pm

vorellanaj wrote:
Good retirement date , 767 product are inferior on AA widebody fleet due lack of PTV. Plus, the engines fitted are non FADEC CF6-80C2.

The newest at retirement date will have 17-18 years, highly probable to be converted to freighter following older sisters.


And by 2021 none of the fleet will have PTV as AA has already said they are all being removed.
 
N649DL
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:27 am

Wow lot's of hate for the AA 763 on this thread. Com'on, they're not that bad. Y interiors got a refresh with new seat covers and whatnot.

I think AA is spoiled is just used to having new Airbuses delivered on a weekly basis to them these days. Recall they even sold off a 2002 built 757 recently and I was thinking....like why? They could've used it somewhere in the network.

Some brought up no new seats on the planes since 1997. I don't think that's true. Y got the blue seats with adjustable headrests installed later in and around 2000 and AA got a top off order of 763s in 2003 to replace the TWA 763s they inherited. They even had remotes in coach because AA was going to install PTV but couldn't afford it.
 
musman9853
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:19 am

SPREE34 wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
thank god. take all of american's 767s and 757s and burn them asap please.


What is your age?



fairly young. early 20s.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
soflaflyer
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:35 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:02 am

N649DL wrote:
Wow lot's of hate for the AA 763 on this thread. Com'on, they're not that bad. Y interiors got a refresh with new seat covers and whatnot.

I think AA is spoiled is just used to having new Airbuses delivered on a weekly basis to them these days. Recall they even sold off a 2002 built 757 recently and I was thinking....like why? They could've used it somewhere in the network.

Some brought up no new seats on the planes since 1997. I don't think that's true. Y got the blue seats with adjustable headrests installed later in and around 2000 and AA got a top off order of 763s in 2003 to replace the TWA 763s they inherited. They even had remotes in coach because AA was going to install PTV but couldn't afford it.


Dated interiors are bad, yes, but the worse problem for me are the reliability issues. Even AA stated this several years ago and put together a plan to improve their reliability but I'm not aware if either the plan was unsuccessful or never carried out.
 
vorellanaj
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:04 am

AA747123 wrote:
vorellanaj wrote:
Good retirement date , 767 product are inferior on AA widebody fleet due lack of PTV. Plus, the engines fitted are non FADEC CF6-80C2.

The newest at retirement date will have 17-18 years, highly probable to be converted to freighter following older sisters.


And by 2021 none of the fleet will have PTV as AA has already said they are all being removed.


none of the NARROWBODY fleet (minus A321 Transcon). No plans to remove PTV from widebodies.
The aviation world will be bored if only twins fly with commercial passengers. I love 747s
 
miaami
Posts: 902
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:27 am

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:06 am

vorellanaj wrote:
AA747123 wrote:
vorellanaj wrote:
Good retirement date , 767 product are inferior on AA widebody fleet due lack of PTV. Plus, the engines fitted are non FADEC CF6-80C2.

The newest at retirement date will have 17-18 years, highly probable to be converted to freighter following older sisters.


And by 2021 none of the fleet will have PTV as AA has already said they are all being removed.


none of the NARROWBODY fleet (minus A321 Transcon). No plans to remove PTV from widebodies.



The LAA 319s are keeping the PTVs as well.
 
vorellanaj
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: American Airlines Confirms 767 Retirement Date

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:16 am

miaami wrote:
vorellanaj wrote:
AA747123 wrote:

And by 2021 none of the fleet will have PTV as AA has already said they are all being removed.


none of the NARROWBODY fleet (minus A321 Transcon). No plans to remove PTV from widebodies.



The LAA 319s are keeping the PTVs as well.


Thanks. I forgot those sub-fleet. (sharklet winged A319). A321 and 737-800 with PTV will be standardized to no PTV and entertainment from streaming via wireless.
The aviation world will be bored if only twins fly with commercial passengers. I love 747s

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos