Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:10 pm

Aust BT is reporting that GA will re-deploy 77W capacity gained from dropping LHR - CGK, to MEL - DPS. This is no surprise - the MEL - DPS market has been absolutely booming of late, growing ~25% in the first 6 months of 2018. MEL - DPS is now MEL's fastest growing route, followed by, IIRC, MEL - HKG and MEL - LAX. With the 330 gained from this replacement, I wonder if they'd re-start BNE?

See: https://www.ausbt.com.au/garuda-axes-no ... ta-flights.

Cheers,

C.
Last edited by planemanofnz on Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11126
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:11 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
It seems that on top of QF considering ORD, SEA and SFO ex-BNE, they're also considering BNE - YVR, as well as additional BNE - Asia routes. No specific Asian destinations are mentioned - perhaps CGK? ICN?

"There are a number of new destinations we’re considering for new direct services from Brisbane, including Seattle, Chicago and San Francisco in the US, as well as Vancouver and cities in Asia."

See: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 5016f.html.

I don't remember Alan Joyce ever talking about BNE - YVR being a possibility for QF? It seems strange to me - why YVR, when you could fly to SEA and have 1) no competition, and 2) a hub to feed you, through AS?

Cheers,

C.


Those routes have been mentioned as potential 789 routes. Both CGK and ICN are definite no-nos for 789's in the current configuration. I would expect the markets QF are considering in Asia would be SIN and HKG, maybe Japan
Forum Moderator
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:19 pm

qf789 wrote:
Both CGK and ICN are definite no-nos for 789's in the current configuration. I would expect the markets QF are considering in Asia would be SIN and HKG, maybe Japan

He did say "new destinations" and "direct services" though - so while the 789's may well go on BNE - HKG and BNE - SIN, Alan Joyce's comments do suggest something more than this? If not a 789 on a new BNE - Asia service, then perhaps a 332 or 333 to ICN?

qf789 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
It seems that on top of QF considering ORD, SEA and SFO ex-BNE, they're also considering BNE - YVR

Those routes have been mentioned as potential 789 routes.

I see it being reported way back last year, which I must have overlooked.

See: https://blueswandaily.com/qantas-to-use ... e-seattle/.

Surely YVR would be down that list - definitely behind SEA, given AS?

Cheers,

C.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:29 pm

QF742 wrote:
JQ haven’t really shown very much interest in increasing Thailand services. The routes they fly to Thailand basically haven’t changed since they were launched. As far as I know they only fly MEL/SYD-HKT and MEL-BKK, none of which are daily.

Well, MEL - HKT's performance has been shocking this year - it's MEL's worst-performing non-stop route.

In the 6 months to June, traffic on MEL - HKT dropped to ~53,000 passengers from ~62,000 a year earlier.

I don't know what's going on there, but hopefully JQ can turn things around? Maybe TG's cuts will assist?

Cheers,

C.
 
qf002
Posts: 3669
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:42 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
I don't remember Alan Joyce ever talking about BNE - YVR being a possibility for QF? It seems strange to me - why YVR, when you could fly to SEA and have 1) no competition, and 2) a hub to feed you, through AS?


The quote in the link is almost identical to the one QF provided over a year ago when the first announced the BNE base - "From Brisbane, the Qantas Dreamliner is capable of flying non-stop to destinations such as Seattle, Chicago and San Francisco in the United States, Vancouver in Canada, as well as Asia." - so I’d take it with a grain of salt.

The comments made in this AusBT article from a couple of weeks ago are pretty direct.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:55 pm

qf002 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
I don't remember Alan Joyce ever talking about BNE - YVR being a possibility for QF? It seems strange to me - why YVR, when you could fly to SEA and have 1) no competition, and 2) a hub to feed you, through AS?


The quote in the link is almost identical to the one QF provided over a year ago when the first announced the BNE base - "From Brisbane, the Qantas Dreamliner is capable of flying non-stop to destinations such as Seattle, Chicago and San Francisco in the United States, Vancouver in Canada, as well as Asia." - so I’d take it with a grain of salt.

To be fair, the comment on Asia is a bit different - that one from a year ago talks about how the 789 is capable of flying BNE - Asia, whereas the one from the article this week 1) talks about QF actively considering new BNE - Asia routes (albeit QF might have done this before, through a different article), and 2) doesn't link a new route to to the 789. Then again, I'm probably reading too much into this.

Nevertheless, I'm quite interested in this BNE - Asia opportunity, as I just can't see a compelling destination for the QF brand to serve - of the 'big' markets I can think of, only CGK, KIX, PEK and SGN lack year-round competition ex-BNE, but all are low-yielding ex-BNE? ICN only has a small amount of competition through KE, but may have volume and yield to make it viable. Still, quite a risk though, isn't it?

Cheers,

C.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8372
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:13 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
qf002 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
I don't remember Alan Joyce ever talking about BNE - YVR being a possibility for QF? It seems strange to me - why YVR, when you could fly to SEA and have 1) no competition, and 2) a hub to feed you, through AS?


The quote in the link is almost identical to the one QF provided over a year ago when the first announced the BNE base - "From Brisbane, the Qantas Dreamliner is capable of flying non-stop to destinations such as Seattle, Chicago and San Francisco in the United States, Vancouver in Canada, as well as Asia." - so I’d take it with a grain of salt.

To be fair, the comment on Asia is a bit different - that one from a year ago talks about how the 789 is capable of flying BNE - Asia, whereas the one from the article this week 1) talks about QF actively considering new BNE - Asia routes (albeit QF might have done this before, through a different article), and 2) doesn't link a new route to to the 789. Then again, I'm probably reading too much into this.

Nevertheless, I'm quite interested in this BNE - Asia opportunity, as I just can't see a compelling destination for the QF brand to serve - of the 'big' markets I can think of, only CGK, KIX, PEK and SGN lack year-round competition ex-BNE, but all are low-yielding ex-BNE? ICN only has a small amount of competition through KE, but may have volume and yield to make it viable. Still, quite a risk though, isn't it?

Cheers,

C.


You can pretty safely assume that it would be a route already served from SYD. ICN is the only market that is glaringly missing for QF in Asia IMHO, but if/when it is relaunched it will be SYD-ICN.

Of routes that QF serve ex-SYD you’re looking at BKK, PEK, PVG, MNL, KIX, CGK, DPS.

A 737 on BNE-DPS is probably the only one of those which is likely IMHO.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:09 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
ICN is the only market that is glaringly missing for QF in Asia IMHO, but if/when it is relaunched it will be SYD-ICN.

It may actually make sense for QF to serve ICN from BNE, given how competitive SYD - ICN is (with up to 2x daily 380's over NW).

RyanairGuru wrote:
You can pretty safely assume that it would be a route already served from SYD.

QF seems to not be concerned about serving new destinations from BNE only, given its consideration of BNE - SEA or BNE - ORD.

Cheers,

C.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:14 pm

QuayWeeAir wrote:
I do not see this ending well for Samoa Airways.

I wonder if OL and QF should codeshare on SYD / BNE / AKL - APW? OL seems to be cozy with FJ, who in turn are a QF partner.

Cheers,

C.
 
User avatar
allrite
Posts: 2614
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:43 pm

QF742 wrote:
MEL-KIX could be an interesting route for JQ to try. Although there’s a fair bit of new capacity MEL - Japan.


Right now a Qantas Rose Bay to KIX service might be more useful...
I like artificial banana essence!
 
Gemuser
Posts: 5084
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:09 am

allrite wrote:
QF742 wrote:
MEL-KIX could be an interesting route for JQ to try. Although there’s a fair bit of new capacity MEL - Japan.


Right now a Qantas Rose Bay to KIX service might be more useful...

Right on Allrite!!!
I wonder if they can source some S25s? :-)

Gemuser
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1972
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:37 am

planemanofnz wrote:
It's just a rumour at this stage, but in another site it was stated that LA has internally confirmed that they will open a third Australian port, with BNE and ADL being the two ports under consideration, and BNE being preferred (IMO, it's interesting that ADL is even being considered). In what's set to be a big shake-up, QF will operate SYD - SCL daily, LA will operate MEL - SCL daily, and LA's SYD - AKL - SCL service will become de-tagged. It's not clear whether BNE would be served non-stop from SCL, or via AKL, but I assume it would be the latter, so as to support LA's AKL frequencies and not give NZ an advantage. Does anyone have more information on this?

Cheers,

C.


Interesting moves. The de-tag isn't surprising, and it would probably start to come under ACCC pressure anyway (like South African and Hong Kong flights have in the past).

If AKL is used for BNE, SYD and MEL services, then it would be interesting to see what this means for loads to AKL and then loads beyond AKL. AKL would become a mini-hub for LA. Could they somehow have a plane based in AKL (on a rotational basis somehow) or are they going to have to run 3 aircraft to AKL that each go onto BNE/SYD/MEL?
 
User avatar
vhqpa
Posts: 1705
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:44 am

I doubt QF would launch BNE-ICN when KAL can only make it work 4 weekly with no nonstop competition, and that's feeding a hub in ICN.

If they do put a 789 on BNE-Asia I can only see it replacing an existing A330 to SIN or HKG.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"
 
kriskim
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:33 am

planemanofnz wrote:
QF742 wrote:
JQ haven’t really shown very much interest in increasing Thailand services. The routes they fly to Thailand basically haven’t changed since they were launched. As far as I know they only fly MEL/SYD-HKT and MEL-BKK, none of which are daily.

Well, MEL - HKT's performance has been shocking this year - it's MEL's worst-performing non-stop route.

In the 6 months to June, traffic on MEL - HKT dropped to ~53,000 passengers from ~62,000 a year earlier.

I don't know what's going on there, but hopefully JQ can turn things around? Maybe TG's cuts will assist?

Cheers,

C.


Can I ask where you are getting this information from? A link would be great !
A world built upon connectivity.
 
moa999
Posts: 946
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:15 am

kriskim wrote:
Can I ask where you are getting this information from? A link would be great !

Try the Mel Airport thread on Skyscraper city
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthre ... ics/548727
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:40 am

qf2220 wrote:
If AKL is used for BNE, SYD and MEL services, then it would be interesting to see what this means for loads to AKL and then loads beyond AKL. AKL would become a mini-hub for LA. Could they somehow have a plane based in AKL (on a rotational basis somehow) or are they going to have to run 3 aircraft to AKL that each go onto BNE/SYD/MEL?

No - most likely, IMO, we'll see:

1) MEL - SCL: 7x weekly
2) SYD - SCL: 10-14x weekly
3) BNE - AKL - SCL: 5x weekly

Separately, I wonder if LA will reduce reliance on its SCL hub for Australasia, by adding a link to GRU and/or LIM?

Cheers,

C.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:57 am

vhqpa wrote:
I doubt QF would launch BNE-ICN when KAL can only make it work 4 weekly with no nonstop competition, and that's feeding a hub in ICN.

Yes, but QF does have 1) a hub at BNE and 2) a big FFP base, that it can feed the flight with - those don't support KE's BNE service, but may do for QF, if QF started the flight. I also note that Korean visitor arrivals to Australia are growing strongly (with 30% of visitors visiting Queensland) and yet little additional non-stop capacity is being added - therefore QF should be able to take away from the higher-end connecting airlines, like CX, who seem to be absorbing the growth. Further, a new non-stop service is likely to stimulate new demand.

Cheers,

C.
 
oskarclare
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:53 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:17 am

planemanofnz wrote:
vhqpa wrote:
I doubt QF would launch BNE-ICN when KAL can only make it work 4 weekly with no nonstop competition, and that's feeding a hub in ICN.

Yes, but QF does have 1) a hub at BNE and 2) a big FFP base, that it can feed the flight with - those don't support KE's BNE service, but may do for QF, if QF started the flight. I also note that Korean visitor arrivals to Australia are growing strongly (with 30% of visitors visiting Queensland) and yet little additional non-stop capacity is being added - therefore QF should be able to take away from the higher-end connecting airlines, like CX, who seem to be absorbing the growth. Further, a new non-stop service is likely to stimulate new demand.

Cheers,

C.


I know its about QF but Asiana would probably suit well 4x weekly on BNE-ICN. Would drive demand, have good connections and maybe make KE increase to more flights year-round. BTW, KE most likely upgrading ICN-BNE to 789 with announcement expected soon
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:24 am

oskarclare wrote:
I know its about QF but Asiana would probably suit well 4x weekly on BNE-ICN. Would drive demand, have good connections and maybe make KE increase to more flights year-round. BTW, KE most likely upgrading ICN-BNE to 789 with announcement expected soon

The difference, of course, being that OZ is not in great shape at the moment, so would be less able and willing to take the risk. They also wouldn't have a point of difference to KE, with their hub being on the ICN end too (while, in contrast, QF's hub and FFP base on the Australia end is not available to KE or OZ). That's fine in a big market like SYD, but less so in a smaller market, such as BNE.

Cheers,

C.
 
QF742
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:10 am

planemanofnz wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
If AKL is used for BNE, SYD and MEL services, then it would be interesting to see what this means for loads to AKL and then loads beyond AKL. AKL would become a mini-hub for LA. Could they somehow have a plane based in AKL (on a rotational basis somehow) or are they going to have to run 3 aircraft to AKL that each go onto BNE/SYD/MEL?

No - most likely, IMO, we'll see:

1) MEL - SCL: 7x weekly
2) SYD - SCL: 10-14x weekly
3) BNE - AKL - SCL: 5x weekly

Separately, I wonder if LA will reduce reliance on its SCL hub for Australasia, by adding a link to GRU and/or LIM?

Cheers,

C.


If anything I would see LA delinking SYD-AKL-SCL and starting non-stop to SYD and possibly reducing AKL. I don’t see why LA would bother starting another one stop route to BNE. Surely it would be quite costly and they would be better off utilising QF to feed their AKL flight ex BNE. LA could later start a non stop flight to BNE if the demand was there.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:17 am

QF742 wrote:
I don’t see why LA would bother starting another one stop route to BNE. Surely it would be quite costly and they would be better off utilising QF to feed their AKL flight ex BNE. LA could later start a non stop flight to BNE if the demand was there.

Another way of looking at it is that in order to be able to build up demand at BNE to support a non-stop flight in the future, LA may need to have a greater brand presence in the BNE market than merely relying on a code-sharing partner. At the same time, the BNE tag would help to sustain higher frequencies at AKL, which in turn would help LA to better compete with NZ - one of its key competitors in the corridor.

Cheers,

C.
 
QF742
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:34 am

planemanofnz wrote:
QF742 wrote:
I don’t see why LA would bother starting another one stop route to BNE. Surely it would be quite costly and they would be better off utilising QF to feed their AKL flight ex BNE. LA could later start a non stop flight to BNE if the demand was there.

Another way of looking at it is that in order to be able to build up demand at BNE to support a non-stop flight in the future, LA may need to have a greater brand presence in the BNE market than merely relying on a code-sharing partner. At the same time, the BNE tag would help to sustain higher frequencies at AKL, which in turn would help LA to better compete with NZ - one of its key competitors in the corridor.

Cheers,

C.


I see your point - but at the same time LA launched a non-stop to MEL without entering the market first with a one-stop. Either way, it will be interesting to see if this is any more than a rumour but certainly some interesting discussion being had!
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:53 am

QF742 wrote:
LA launched a non-stop to MEL without entering the market first with a one-stop.

Very true, albeit MEL is a market double the size of BNE, with arguably less need to be 'built up' in the way a tag would grow BNE.

Let's wait and see!

Cheers,

C.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11126
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:36 am

Forum Moderator
 
Obzerva
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:05 am

planemanofnz wrote:
vhqpa wrote:
I doubt QF would launch BNE-ICN when KAL can only make it work 4 weekly with no nonstop competition, and that's feeding a hub in ICN.

Yes, but QF does have 1) a hub at BNE and 2) a big FFP base, that it can feed the flight with - those don't support KE's BNE service, but may do for QF, if QF started the flight. I also note that Korean visitor arrivals to Australia are growing strongly (with 30% of visitors visiting Queensland) and yet little additional non-stop capacity is being added - therefore QF should be able to take away from the higher-end connecting airlines, like CX, who seem to be absorbing the growth. Further, a new non-stop service is likely to stimulate new demand.

Cheers,

C.


Given QF codeshare on OZ's existing SYD service, QF could consider BNE-ICN with OZ codesharing on them.
Frequent flyers at both ends and little risk for OZ.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1972
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:22 am

planemanofnz wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
If AKL is used for BNE, SYD and MEL services, then it would be interesting to see what this means for loads to AKL and then loads beyond AKL. AKL would become a mini-hub for LA. Could they somehow have a plane based in AKL (on a rotational basis somehow) or are they going to have to run 3 aircraft to AKL that each go onto BNE/SYD/MEL?

No - most likely, IMO, we'll see:

1) MEL - SCL: 7x weekly
2) SYD - SCL: 10-14x weekly
3) BNE - AKL - SCL: 5x weekly

Separately, I wonder if LA will reduce reliance on its SCL hub for Australasia, by adding a link to GRU and/or LIM?

Cheers,

C.


You know - a remote scissor hub at AKL could be quite an interesting strategy. SCL and maybe GRU dailies to AKL, continuing onto SYD and MEL respectively (with overflows booked onto QF services). Perhaps a 4pw to BNE via AKL too. Or, perhaps a 3rd aircraft coming across from say EZE? I have no numbers to sense check any of this so could be off the reservation somewhat.....
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:26 am

Obzerva wrote:
Given QF codeshare on OZ's existing SYD service, QF could consider BNE-ICN with OZ codesharing.

IMO, that's a very good idea - I think OZ should be looking for more such partnerships, including one with NZ to AKL too.

Cheers,

C.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:32 am

qf2220 wrote:
You know - a remote scissor hub at AKL could be quite an interesting strategy. SCL and maybe GRU dailies to AKL, continuing onto SYD and MEL respectively (with overflows booked onto QF services). Perhaps a 4pw to BNE via AKL too. Or, perhaps a 3rd aircraft coming across from say EZE? I have no numbers to sense check any of this so could be off the reservation somewhat.....

For the Australians though, that adds nothing - it merely moves the single stop en-route from SCL to AKL. It would also likely cannibalize the SCL service(s).

That being said, GRU - SYD or MEL probably has big enough potential that it'd be worth LA doing, even if sabotaging SCL. GRU - AKL? IMO, not so much.

I think that the scissor hub strategy at AKL is best left to NZ, with NZ connecting SYD, MEL, BNE, OOL, ADL, CNS and PER to EZE, and later, GRU and LIM.

Cheers,

C.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7500
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:45 am

qf2220 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
It's just a rumour at this stage, but in another site it was stated that LA has internally confirmed that they will open a third Australian port, with BNE and ADL being the two ports under consideration, and BNE being preferred (IMO, it's interesting that ADL is even being considered). In what's set to be a big shake-up, QF will operate SYD - SCL daily, LA will operate MEL - SCL daily, and LA's SYD - AKL - SCL service will become de-tagged. It's not clear whether BNE would be served non-stop from SCL, or via AKL, but I assume it would be the latter, so as to support LA's AKL frequencies and not give NZ an advantage. Does anyone have more information on this?

Cheers,

C.


Interesting moves. The de-tag isn't surprising, and it would probably start to come under ACCC pressure anyway (like South African and Hong Kong flights have in the past).

If AKL is used for BNE, SYD and MEL services, then it would be interesting to see what this means for loads to AKL and then loads beyond AKL. AKL would become a mini-hub for LA. Could they somehow have a plane based in AKL (on a rotational basis somehow) or are they going to have to run 3 aircraft to AKL that each go onto BNE/SYD/MEL?


LA serving SYD/MEL/BNE from AKL all at once is very unlikely, I’m not sure if they could technically base an aircraft at AKL or not but you would need 3 frames coming from SCL/LIM/GRU or something all arriving early am connecting to each other for the onward Australia leg.

On this topic personally I’ll go with LA launch 3 weekly non stop SYD services with those 3 days AKL flights continuing to BNE, when QF retire the 744 I could see them increasing SCL to a daily 789 and LA doing the same going non stop daily to SYD so a 2 daily 789 QF/LA to SYD, MEL-SCL daily LA 789 and a daily possibly 788/789 SCL-AKL-BNE, AKL offers connections to HKG where CX codeshare, AKL is better than SYD/MEL/BNE given CX are maxed out on flights to Australia.

I find it unlikely LA will cede the AKL market to NZ given NZ are increasing EZE I don’t see LA reducing AKL.

There was talk some time back of a LIM service to AKL/SYD, I wonder if this is still on the cards?
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2842
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:48 am

qf789 wrote:

My Midas spend is credited to Velocity Rewards ;-)
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2842
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:57 am

Re recent chatter re BNE-ICN... can't see QF launching this at all... route is too much ex Korea originating and KE's BNE flights aren't as profitable as before- they have stated at industry functions they are losing a lot of Korea traffic to CZ/MU. However, moving from an A333 to a B789 will help reduce operating costs.

Garuda MEL-DPS 77W... oh dear... the increased capacity will enable lower fares, but again the operating costs will be horrific. MEL-DPS is borderline profitable and the A333 costs $11K/flight hour to operate.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:16 am

eta unknown wrote:
KE's BNE flights aren't as profitable as before- they have stated at industry functions they are losing a lot of Korea traffic to CZ/MU.

Is that attributable to weakness on KE's part though, or BNE's? I suggest the former:

1) KE's brand value in Korea has plummeted recently, on the back of numerous 'chaebol' scandals. For example, in April, the airline had to suspend one of its executives after she threw a drink at an associate during a business meeting. The head of KE's wife was then investigated for verbal and physical abuse in May. These, of course, follow the 'nut rage' scandal. There was a big protest in Seoul against KE, following the events.

2) Meanwhile, Korean visitor arrivals to Australia continue to boom off of an already high base of about ~300,000 annually (there has been growth of ~100,000 since early 2015 (!), with the growth rate cooling to +6% in the year to March 2018, after +24% in 2016). ~30% of these Korean visitor arrivals visit Queensland. It's a top 10 tourism and trading market for Australia, the latter of which will help to support freight on any new air services.

IMO, if there's any time for QF to compete against KE at SYD and/or BNE, it is now!

Cheers,

C.
 
User avatar
Velocity7
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:21 am

planemanofnz wrote:
a19901213 wrote:
I kinda hope this happen so VA has better chance joining A*.

That won't happen - NZ would block it.

Cheers,

C.


I've seen many comments about how NZ could veto VA's entry into *A. Can someone explain exactly why they are able to do this?

I would have thought that an alliances strength was greater than its individual members. Might not be good for NZ for whatever reason but might be great for other member airlines. I'm just surprised one member has that type of influence
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:24 am

eta unknown wrote:
BNE-ICN... can't see QF launching this at all... route is too much ex Korea originating

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't other QF markets majority foreign-originating too, like PEK, PVG and/or KIX?

There are still about 80,000 - 90,000 Australians visiting Korea annually, which is up from 70,000 about 5 y/ ago.

See: https://kto.visitkorea.or.kr/eng/touris ... /inout.kto.

Cheers,

C.
 
Qantas16
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:31 am

Air Asia X is increasing SYD/OOL/PER services over the Christmas period.

OOL-KUL increased to 11x weekly (was daily)
PER-KUL increased to 11x weekly (was daily)
SYD-KUL increased to 2x daily (was 11x weekly)

Source:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -increase/
 
downdata
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:42 am

Did QF cancel KIX for the next few days now that its underwater?
 
User avatar
JBusworth
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:52 am

downdata wrote:
Did QF cancel KIX for the next few days now that its underwater?


This afternoons QF33 to KIX was cancelled. The next flight is not till Saturday (it is only 3x weekly) so we will have to see what the situation is like by then.
 
jupiter2
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 11:30 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:18 am

downdata wrote:
Did QF cancel KIX for the next few days now that its underwater?


They've got the 330 in the shed now getting its floats fitted. Should be quite the sight :hyper:
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1803
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:18 am

Velocity7 wrote:
I've seen many comments about how NZ could veto VA's entry into *A. Can someone explain exactly why they are able to do this?

I would have thought that an alliances strength was greater than its individual members. Might not be good for NZ for whatever reason but might be great for other member airlines. I'm just surprised one member has that type of influence

A prospective airline willing to join the alliance must get approvals from all the existing full members; if one of them don't nod then it's a no-go (any of the three is the same IIRC).

Michael
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:18 am

The latest on WA's Busselton Margaret River Airport, and it's not good - delays! According to WA's Tourism Minister, a lack of commitment from airlines was the driving factor behind delays to completing the terminal. “The demand is simply not there." A shame, really.

See: https://www.margaretrivermail.com.au/st ... est/?cs=12.

Cheers,

C.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:22 am

PER's new $30 million fund to attract flights and support tourism is being slammed.

Nationals Member for the South West Colin Holt MLC said at a time when our regional economy desperately needed jobs and an economic boost the project would provide, the McGowan government was shovelling money to the city by providing what it describes as “a pot of gold at the end of the runway” for Perth.

Do people think this is valid? I guess you've got to spend money to make money?

See: https://www.margaretrivermail.com.au/st ... est/?cs=12.

Cheers,

C.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:24 am

CX has re-iterated that “there are definitely no plans for first class out of Australia” - not a surprise.

See: https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific ... ng-flights.

Cheers,

C.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:30 am

NZ's leased ex-SQ 777-200ER will be placed on SYD - RAR in the NW - not a surprise, as I assume the route isn't product-sensitive.

See: https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 1207065600.

Cheers,

C.
 
FromCDGtoSYD
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:05 am

planemanofnz wrote:
CX has re-iterated that “there are definitely no plans for first class out of Australia” - not a surprise.

See: https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific ... ng-flights.

Cheers,

C.


I don't know, with all the first class to and from SIN with QF, SQ, EK and BA I would have though HKG could attract some too, even if it's for the sake of offering it to connecting passengers, I guess not.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:46 am

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
... with all the first class to and from SIN with QF, SQ, EK and BA I would have though HKG could attract some too, even if it's for the sake of offering it to connecting passengers, I guess not.

There are some key differences though. For starters, ex-Australia, BA, EK and QF largely only offer First Class through Singapore and not to it, in its own right.

Meanwhile, SQ seems different to CX:

1) SQ is positioning itself at the top of the value chain, while CX is not - e.g. CX is introducing to 3-4-3 in Y on 77W's, and SQ is introducing regional flat beds in J.

2) SQ has a bigger presence in the Australia - Europe corridor, helped by its VA partnership and a bigger EU network than CX - this corridor has a market for F.

3) SQ has 380's, which are conducive to developing a premier F - CX's lack of 380's means it's not likely to ever have a premier F, reducing its F competitiveness.

There probably is a similar level of F demand for Australia to Singapore and Hong Kong, but it all comes down to differences between CX and SQ as businesses.

Cheers,

C.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11126
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:01 pm

JBusworth wrote:
downdata wrote:
Did QF cancel KIX for the next few days now that its underwater?


This afternoons QF33 to KIX was cancelled. The next flight is not till Saturday (it is only 3x weekly) so we will have to see what the situation is like by then.


Some carriers have already cancelled flights for the next week at least so I would expect QF wont be operating the next couple of scheduled flights
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11126
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:16 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
PER's new $30 million fund to attract flights and support tourism is being slammed.

Nationals Member for the South West Colin Holt MLC said at a time when our regional economy desperately needed jobs and an economic boost the project would provide, the McGowan government was shovelling money to the city by providing what it describes as “a pot of gold at the end of the runway” for Perth.

Do people think this is valid? I guess you've got to spend money to make money?

See: https://www.margaretrivermail.com.au/st ... est/?cs=12.

Cheers,

C.


Well this isn't surprising coming from a National. This is the same party that 9 years ago created the Royalty for Region scheme which saw a large increase of money spent in regional areas at the expense of money being pulled out of Perth which saw a decline in spending in the metro area on much needed services. What this bonehead of a politician fails to recognise is PER is the gateway to the state and that the whole mantra coming from the government is not just about PER but attracting visitors to all parts of the state, which will in fact benefit electorates like this bonehead of a politician in the long run.
Forum Moderator
 
ZuluAlpha
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:22 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:51 pm

qf789 wrote:
JBusworth wrote:
downdata wrote:
Did QF cancel KIX for the next few days now that its underwater?


This afternoons QF33 to KIX was cancelled. The next flight is not till Saturday (it is only 3x weekly) so we will have to see what the situation is like by then.


Some carriers have already cancelled flights for the next week at least so I would expect QF wont be operating the next couple of scheduled flights



Jetstar Japan have cancelled their NRT KIX flights.

I think it might be a while until there is any movement at KIX

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-04/j ... e/10200814
Flown on:_CRJ, CR7 D10 DHT DH8, DH2, DH3, DH4, EMB, E45, E75, E90, F28 J32 M80 SH6 320, 32B, 332, 333, 380, 717, 732, 733, 734, 73H, 743, 744, 752 762, 763, 772, 77W
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1972
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:29 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
LA serving SYD/MEL/BNE from AKL all at once is very unlikely, I’m not sure if they could technically base an aircraft at AKL or not but you would need 3 frames coming from SCL/LIM/GRU or something all arriving early am connecting to each other for the onward Australia leg.

On this topic personally I’ll go with LA launch 3 weekly non stop SYD services with those 3 days AKL flights continuing to BNE, when QF retire the 744 I could see them increasing SCL to a daily 789 and LA doing the same going non stop daily to SYD so a 2 daily 789 QF/LA to SYD, MEL-SCL daily LA 789 and a daily possibly 788/789 SCL-AKL-BNE, AKL offers connections to HKG where CX codeshare, AKL is better than SYD/MEL/BNE given CX are maxed out on flights to Australia.

I find it unlikely LA will cede the AKL market to NZ given NZ are increasing EZE I don’t see LA reducing AKL.

There was talk some time back of a LIM service to AKL/SYD, I wonder if this is still on the cards?


I agree and I will believe it when I see it but it is an interesting discussion item. It could offer some interesting one stop services to a range of SAmerican cities from a range of Australian ones. I do hear a few people use QR/EK etc to get to GRU/GIG and other places, so this could tap into that market. I had forgotten LIM, and given its high tourism draw from Australia (with Machu Picchu and the Galapagos on many travellers lists, and given that SAmerican tourism is more premium than say beach Asian tourism (Thailand/Bali etc) a premium carrier could possibly make it work.
 
cam747
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:33 pm

I can't provide a link or source yet, but SQ having a 'big' announcement at ADL today. Rumour is they are upgrading their daily service to an A350 from December. As a frequent user of this service it will be a welcome upgrade in product for ADL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos