Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tullamarine

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:41 pm

cam747 wrote:
I can't provide a link or source yet, but SQ having a 'big' announcement at ADL today. Rumour is they are upgrading their daily service to an A350 from December. As a frequent user of this service it will be a welcome upgrade in product for ADL.

This makes sense as the A330s are being replaced by the A359s and 78Js. Either could easily do the route but for Y pax the A350 is the more comfortable option.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

ben175

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:49 pm

Surely ADL will get the 78J? SQ’s 350s are quite premium heavy.

cam747

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:59 pm

ben175 wrote:
Surely ADL will get the 78J? SQ’s 350s are quite premium heavy.

SQ are about to take delivery of some 'regionally' configured A350's with just J & Y. So I'm assuming it will be one of the first of these that will service ADL. Im sure AusBT will be onto it with the details after its announced today.

planemanofnz

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:40 am

qf789 wrote:
What this bonehead of a politician fails to recognise is PER is the gateway to the state and that the whole mantra coming from the government is not just about PER but attracting visitors to all parts of the state, which will in fact benefit electorates like this bonehead of a politician in the long run.

I agree with you. I will say though, with any sort of fund or spending like this, it's always good to get metrics for success in place and transparency. For example, spending this money on junkets can easily be abused or wastefully spent - like, why did they bother to meet many of the regional airlines in India who don't have the planes to fly to PER, when UL, just down the road not only has the planes, but is also potentially looking to expand in Australia (albeit to SYD, but PER might've been able to convince them otherwise)? I'm definitely no expert, but I think UL on one of its NEO's could be a good add for PER, feeding QF through OW, and playing on PER's geography.

Cheers,

C.

IndianicWorld

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:48 am

planemanofnz wrote:
qf789 wrote:
What this bonehead of a politician fails to recognise is PER is the gateway to the state and that the whole mantra coming from the government is not just about PER but attracting visitors to all parts of the state, which will in fact benefit electorates like this bonehead of a politician in the long run.

I agree. I will say, though, with any sort of fund or spending like this, it's always good to get metrics for success in place and transparency.

Cheers,

C.

Fully agree. No use throwing money at something that isn’t properly planned.

For a state the size of WA (population wise), I agree that having PER as a focal point makes sense, but there will always be those asking for more if they are outside the metro area.

I must say though, I do feel that WA needs to create an improved product for tourists to consider going there, as at present there really is only limited appeal for many to consider visiting. Being so far from other main markets in this country makes it even more important to create enough of a reason to add cost and time to itineraries to head there.

planemanofnz

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:04 am

The latest on VA, according to Reuters this morning:

* CEO hunt not yet at shortlist stage - chairman

* Diverse boardroom makes search more difficult - recruiter

* Singapore Airlines, Nanshan not interested in HNA stake - sources

I thought SQ was interested in increasing its stake?

See: https://in.reuters.com/article/virgin-a ... NL3N1VK31R.

Cheers,

C.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:18 am

Effective 18 Dec 18 SQ278/279 SIN-ADL A350 will replace A333

https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-airl ... ource=hero
Forum Moderator

tullamarine

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:46 am

planemanofnz wrote:
The latest on VA, according to Reuters this morning:

* CEO hunt not yet at shortlist stage - chairman

* Diverse boardroom makes search more difficult - recruiter

* Singapore Airlines, Nanshan not interested in HNA stake - sources

I thought SQ was interested in increasing its stake?

See: https://in.reuters.com/article/virgin-a ... NL3N1VK31R.

Cheers,

C.

The CEO search was always envisaged as taking quite a while. JB's retirement isn't scheduled until the end of next year though he will obviously leave early once a candidate is selected and in place.

SQ will play their cards close to their chest. They want HNA to come to them as a distressed seller; going the other way will only force up the price they have to pay.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

planemanofnz

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:03 am

Do people think that Australia loosening its visa restrictions on Papua New Guineans will help Australia - POM flights? Papua New Guinea is still quite underdeveloped, so I don't imagine that it has the potential to produce that many visitor arrivals to Australia, but maybe I'm wrong. I guess any support would be welcomed, given 1) loads are shocking low, and 2) a PX - QF partnership is off the cards.

See: https://www.radionz.co.nz/international ... isa-policy.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:12 am

tullamarine wrote:
The CEO search was always envisaged as taking quite a while. JB's retirement isn't scheduled until the end of next year though he will obviously leave early once a candidate is selected and in place.

At senior management levels though, there'll may be be longer notice periods and the likes of extended non-compete clauses to take account of, so I'd have thought that they'd be trying to get things moving along. It'll be interesting to see whether they shortlist a local.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:20 am

TT is trialling a new check-in process that uses a tag system to ensure all passengers cabin bags have been checked and given the green light for boarding. Under the system, carry-on bags that have been weighed and checked for size will be tagged, and the tags will be stamped with the date so they can’t be re-used.

While for the airline, this may be more about keeping weight in check, for me, there's another good benefit - overhead compartments can open in turbulence and luggage can fall on the heads of passengers, causing injury, so this new policy may help to mitigate the risk of injury (lighter luggage causes less intensive injury).

See: https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-a ... d20c19d415.

Cheers,

C.

brucetiki

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:41 am

planemanofnz wrote:
TT is trialling a new check-in process that uses a tag system to ensure all passengers cabin bags have been checked and given the green light for boarding. Under the system, carry-on bags that have been weighed and checked for size will be tagged, and the tags will be stamped with the date so they can’t be re-used.

While for the airline, this may be more about keeping weight in check, for me, there's another good benefit - overhead compartments can open in turbulence and luggage can fall on the heads of passengers, causing injury, so this new policy may help to mitigate the risk of injury (lighter luggage causes less intensive injury).

Cheers,

C.

Makes perfect sense for TT (and most LCC's) to do this. Can see JQ following suit soon enough.
The early bird catches the worm, the late bird will be featured on a You Tube video

Qantas16

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:10 am

brucetiki wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Makes perfect sense for TT (and most LCC's) to do this. Can see JQ following suit soon enough.

Jetstar has been doing this for years... as do many international airlines operating into Australia including FJ, CI, OD, PR and I'm sure many more...

planemanofnz

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:16 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Jetstar has been doing this for years... as do many international airlines operating into Australia including FJ, CI, OD, PR and I'm sure many more...

Are you sure? I've flown CI and JQ in recent years on Australia - New Zealand flights, and haven't had this happen to me.

Cheers,

C.

tullamarine

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:20 am

Qantas16 wrote:
brucetiki wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Lots of airlines tag but it can be hit and miss with some agents asking and others not. For example, EK used to tag all cabin baggage but I was never checked at the gate as to whether the bag was tagged which kind of defeated the purpose. TT seem to be instituting a stricter regime with date stamps etc though TT was already quite firm in checking weight at boarding. What I don't quite understand is when this will occur. TT has fully automatic check-in at some ports so it can't happen at check-in unless roaming staff are going to do it.

tullamarine

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:27 am

planemanofnz wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

At senior management levels though, there'll may be be longer notice periods and the likes of extended non-compete clauses to take account of, so I'd have thought that they'd be trying to get things moving along. It'll be interesting to see whether they shortlist a local.

Cheers,

C.

It is probably more interesting whether they go for airline experience. It was rumoured that Ahmed Fahour had been approached but he has also been approached by QF to see if he would be interested in eventually succeeding AJ. He has great financial (NAB) and logistical (AusPost) experience but no direct airline experience.

It would be reasonable to expect a gardening period/notice period of about 6 months.

If the ownership issue is as live as rumours suggest (and some say it isn't) then a confirmed candidate probably won't happen until this is decided. A new majority owner will want to own this decision and any external hire would want surety that they weren't going to be punted after only a few months in the job for the new owner's preferred CEO.
Last edited by tullamarine on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qantas16

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:32 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

Are you sure? I've flown CI and JQ in recent years on Australia - New Zealand flights, and haven't had this happen to me.

Cheers,

C.

JQ has dedicated Cabin Baggage Agents at the larger ports (unsure if for international flights) and they monitor certain (random) flights. They will do an announcement ~45mins before the flight asking for people to come forward and get their bags tagged at the boarding gate. This then gives people the opportunity to repack before boarding if they are overweight. If people don't and they get pulled aside during boarding (and the bag is over 7kg) they will get charged $50, the bag will get placed in the hold and their is no guarantee it will make that flight and will then travel on next available (which you must collect from the airport).

When I travelled CI on BNE-AKL I had my carryon tagged but I think as Tullamarine said its often hit-and-miss as to whether it happens and probably really depends on whether your carryon bag looks big/heavy or not

tullamarine wrote:
Lots of airlines tag but it can be hit and miss with some agents asking and others not. For example, EK used to tag all cabin baggage but I was never checked at the gate as to whether the bag was tagged which kind of defeated the purpose. TT seem to be instituting a stricter regime with date stamps etc though TT was already quite firm in checking weight at boarding. What I don't quite understand is when this will occur. TT has fully automatic check-in at some ports so it can't happen at check-in unless roaming staff are going to do it.

This is very true. I have often not been tagged at all and the next time I'll get told to go repack for a 8kg carry on.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:24 am

Just on SQ SIN-ADL, the 2 class A359 has a total of 303 seats, 40J263Y

BNE is believed to get the 2 class A359 in 2019

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/ade ... haul-a350/

Forum Moderator

jman

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:55 am

Qantas16 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

JQ has dedicated Cabin Baggage Agents at the larger ports (unsure if for international flights) and they monitor certain (random) flights. They will do an announcement ~45mins before the flight asking for people to come forward and get their bags tagged at the boarding gate. This then gives people the opportunity to repack before boarding if they are overweight. If people don't and they get pulled aside during boarding (and the bag is over 7kg) they will get charged $50, the bag will get placed in the hold and their is no guarantee it will make that flight and will then travel on next available (which you must collect from the airport).

When I travelled CI on BNE-AKL I had my carryon tagged but I think as Tullamarine said its often hit-and-miss as to whether it happens and probably really depends on whether your carryon bag looks big/heavy or not

tullamarine wrote:

This is very true. I have often not been tagged at all and the next time I'll get told to go repack for a 8kg carry on.

It's $60 you get charged.

At the end of the day, whether the Cabin Baggage Officers make an announcement to weigh bags or not, it comes down to the Cabin Crew. They can decide whether your carry on bag will come onto the plane with your or not

planemanofnz

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:08 am

CA is slightly adjusting its CTU - SYD service:

Chengdu – Sydney eff 03JAN19 High-Density A330-200 operating, replacing -300. 3 weekly (Previous plan: eff 01DEC18)

See: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-06sep18/.

Does anyone know how this service is doing?

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:12 pm

SQ is seeing demand out of PER for its North American flights, through SIN.

“We are seeing an increased uptake from Perth,” Goh said. “We know there is a market and a strong market actually.”

See: http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... -a350-900/.

I wonder if PER would ever see SQ 380's? SQ does deploy them regionally.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:14 pm

SQ seems to have been worried about missing out on Economy Class demand at BNE, hence the move to the regional 359 - hopefully the switch works out for them. “People are missing out on economy and we couldn’t carry as many passengers as we had in the past."

Cheers,

C.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:15 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
SQ is seeing demand out of PER for its North American flights, through SIN.

“We are seeing an increased uptake from Perth,” Goh said. “We know there is a market and a strong market actually.”

I wonder if PER would ever see SQ 380's? SQ does deploy them regionally.

Cheers,

C.

I cant see SQ operating A388 here. The flight is around 4 hours 40 minutes and they would do better operating a 2 class aircraft over a 3 or 4 class aircraft. Currently the 4 flights see the following

SQ215/216 787-10 (36J301Y) 337 seats
SQ214/223 772, reg SQ or SR version (38J228Y) 266 seats
SQ213/226 772 SV reg (26J245Y) 271 seats
SQ225/224 333 (30J255Y) 285 seats

Overall this is a total 130J1029Y seats (total 1159) a day. Best case scenario if they all upgraded to 787-10 seat count will go up to 144J1204Y (total 1348) seats a day, that nearly an extra 200 seats a day. I think we will see a mix of 787-10 and A359R at PER. Once that is achieved if extra capacity is needed I think they will add another service.

I would also be interested to see what the plans are for Scoot as looking at the load factors a service increase could well and truly be on the cards
Forum Moderator

planemanofnz

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:43 pm

qf789 wrote:
Best case scenario if they all upgraded to 787-10 seat count will go up to 144J1204Y (total 1348) ...

I agree that there'll be growth. SQ will pick up more US traffic as its US network grows, and it also stands to gain Velocity FFP traffic who may have previously used EY ex-PER to Europe, post-EY's PER exit. This traffic has premium potential, which may warrant a 380.

Some other points:

1. Given that they're already at 4x daily on PER - SIN, I don't see a 5th daily frequency doing much to enhance transit options - in fact, I think even if they replaced two flights with one 380 one, they'd still be able to maintain most of their competitive connections through SIN.

2. Competitive developments at PER should give SQ cause for thought - QF has gone non-stop to LHR, while QR has upped its game with the use of the 380. In order for SQ to remain competitive on PER - Europe, it might deem the 380 to be a useful weapon against others.

3. Given the short flight time to PER, rotating a 380 through PER might improve the sub-fleet's utilisation - there are limited short-haul markets where this would be practical (IMO, SIN - CGK / KUL / BKK are too short, while MNL lacks PER's options for SQ to tap transits).

Cheers,

C.

ben175

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:09 am

Anyone who why last nights VA693 MEL-PER departed this morning 15 hours late?

eta unknown

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:48 am

Re SQ BNE-SIN 2 class A350: so one thing we can take from this decision is the reduced economy seating on the current A350 has not been offset with that aircraft's premium economy offering. Perhaps EK will be in for a surprise when premium is introduced in that market.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:19 am

ben175 wrote:

I would say the aircraft went tech, there was an A332 flying yesterday with an issue, nothing safety related but would have made it uncomfortable for passengers. XFJ is operating the route today which flew in from HKG this morning, XFE was suppose to operate VA697 last night but never left MEL until this morning. XFE was planned to overnight in PER anyway so it hasnt caused major impacts across the A332 fleet however VA556, VA569 and VA572 will all experience delays today.
Forum Moderator

tullamarine

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:55 am

eta unknown wrote:
Re SQ BNE-SIN 2 class A350: so one thing we can take from this decision is the reduced economy seating on the current A350 has not been offset with that aircraft's premium economy offering. Perhaps EK will be in for a surprise when premium is introduced in that market.

It will all depend on how much of EK's pax are only doing BNE-SIN. The experience of SQ and CX is that medium haul services are marginal for W whereas on long haul has it very popular. I guess QF may have a similar experience with lots of discounted W seats available on the A380 MEL-SIN flight (QF35/QF36).

eamondzhang

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:19 am

qf789 wrote:
ben175 wrote:

I would say the aircraft went tech, there was an A332 flying yesterday with an issue, nothing safety related but would have made it uncomfortable for passengers. XFJ is operating the route today which flew in from HKG this morning, XFE was suppose to operate VA697 last night but never left MEL until this morning. XFE was planned to overnight in PER anyway so it hasnt caused major impacts across the A332 fleet however VA556, VA569 and VA572 will all experience delays today.

Funny thing is that Collingwood FC was supposed to be on this flight - and I believe they got stuck :stirthepot:

planemanofnz wrote:

If SQ sees an increase in premium demand I would say they would upgrade one of the flights to 77W first before jumping onto A380 ship - this way they can give the market F and W capacity without dumping too much capacity. I know that would mean a bit reduction in Y seat but I believe that can be compensated via 78J upgrade.

Michael

ben175

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:59 am

If SQ sees an increase in premium demand I would say they would upgrade one of the flights to 77W first before jumping onto A380 ship - this way they can give the market F and W capacity without dumping too much capacity. I know that would mean a bit reduction in Y seat but I believe that can be compensated via 78J upgrade.

Michael

The only way I could see SQ bringing the 380 here is if they merged the SQ214 and 226 services together back to a 3:55pm departure like the old days. That would free up an aircraft for a new route too.

I agree though, I think its far more likely we will see the 359 and 77W before we get the whale.

planemanofnz

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:00 am

More criticism of the the expansion of Busselton Airport in WA - this time, it's being called a "pup", because "discussions with carriers failed to win any interest and the prospect of a turnaround was minimal." What do people think - is it worth developing Busselton?

See: https://thewest.com.au/news/busselton-d ... b88951251z.

Cheers,

C.

QF742

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:20 am

planemanofnz wrote:
More criticism of the the expansion of Busselton Airport in WA - this time, it's being called a "pup", because "discussions with carriers failed to win any interest and the prospect of a turnaround was minimal." What do people think - is it worth developing Busselton?

Cheers,

C.

I think upgrading the airport in Busselton could work for flights from SYD/MEL - at least seasonally on JQ perhaps. The Margaret river area and it’s beaches are amazing places to holiday (much better than QLD personally). There’s a decent amount of tourism infrastructure in the region as well. I would imagine the traffic flow would be largely east coast to Busselton, which is probably another challenge.

redroo

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:25 am

QF742 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

I think upgrading the airport in Busselton could work for flights from SYD/MEL - at least seasonally on JQ perhaps. The Margaret river area and it’s beaches are amazing places to holiday (much better than QLD personally). There’s a decent amount of tourism infrastructure in the region as well. I would imagine the traffic flow would be largely east coast to Busselton, which is probably another challenge.

Mixed on this one. I think the area could sustain a Jetstar flight once a week from Sydney and Melbourne BUT I sort of like that it’s hard to get to. Last thing I want is the region over run with tourists :-)

wj888

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:31 am

qf789 wrote:

With QR and now SQ bringing 359s to ADL, any hope that EK will upgauge their 77W to a 388?

-Eternal optimist (wj888)

planemanofnz

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:33 am

redroo wrote:
Mixed on this one. I think the area could sustain a Jetstar flight once a week from Sydney and Melbourne BUT I sort of like that it’s hard to get to. Last thing I want is the region over run with tourists :-)

I've heard that the drive down there from PER actually is an attraction in and of itself, given its beauty, and so tourists want to do the drive over flying there. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Separately, could Busselton act as a sort of secondary or LCC PER airport? It's ~200 km from PER, compared to 150 km for WTB - BNE, which IMO, makes it unlikely to be suitable for such a role.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:34 am

wj888 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

With QR and now SQ bringing 359s to ADL, any hope that EK will upgauge their 77W to a 388?

Yes, they hope to upgrade ADL to a 380 at some point, they just haven't confirmed when.

Emirates hopes to upgrade all its flights to Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide to Airbus A380 jets on the back of the airline's recent US$16 billion order for an additional 36 superjumbos on top of its current 101-strong fleet.

See: https://www.ausbt.com.au/emirates-ceo-p ... h-adelaide.

Cheers,

C.

cpd

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:41 am

wj888 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

The EK 777-300/ER isn't too bad, the ones I've been on had the new business class and in my opinion it is superior to the A380 for comfort.

The A380 has the bar of course, but you aren't going to be there all the time. For economy class passengers I realise it is all academic as they get jammed in on both planes. I'm very lean so seat width matters little to me, it's more about the seat being soft enough and having enough leg room.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:51 am

Several flights are being diverted due to weather at SYD

QF580 PER-SYD diverted to CBR
CI51 TPE-SYD diverted to CBR
VA556 PER-SYD diverted to MEL
VA970 BNE-SYD diverted to MEL

Wonder if CBR is getting their credit card machine ready!!!
Forum Moderator

waoz1

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:55 am

planemanofnz wrote:
redroo wrote:

I've heard that the drive down there from PER actually is an attraction in and of itself, given its beauty, and so tourists want to do the drive over flying there. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Separately, could Busselton act as a sort of secondary or LCC PER airport? It's ~200 km from PER, compared to 150 km for WTB - BNE, which IMO, makes it unlikely to be suitable for such a role.

Cheers,

C.

Well its not exactly close and drives is a bit mundane (also motorway is being upgraded which does cause some delays), there was numerous reports they were trying to attract JQ. I even saw reports of a few times a week to MEL were in the works.
There is some VA flights to Bussleton but that's also to cater for the fifo crowd down that way.

redroo

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:59 am

waoz1 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
redroo wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Well its not exactly close and drives is a bit mundane (also motorway is being upgraded which does cause some delays), there was numerous reports they were trying to attract JQ. I even saw reports of a few times a week to MEL were in the works.
There is some VA flights to Bussleton but that's also to cater for the fifo crowd down that way.

The drive is nothing special. It’s not like the pacific highway when you drive down the Hawkesbury. Once you’re in the region the scenery is worth looking at. Caves Road is particularly pretty. It’s an easy 3 hour drive though. Not at like intense like the drive out of Sydney to the Hunter.

redroo

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:00 am

qf789 wrote:

Tell me about it. I’m trying to get back to Perth. Second groundstop now. It’s going to be fun at Sydney for a while.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:13 am

redroo wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Tell me about it. I’m trying to get back to Perth. Second groundstop now. It’s going to be fun at Sydney for a while.

What flight are you on? From what I have heard XFJ which is operating VA556 will position back to SYD and then fly to PER, its not expected to arrive at PER until 100am, its then due to do the red eye back to SYD however the A332 from VA474 may be switched to operate that now, I will have a better idea what's going once I get to work soon
Forum Moderator

ben175

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:53 am

Chaos at MEL as they’ve cancelled almost all MEL-SYD flights from 7pm onwards except for one.

I was booked on 494 (a practically empty 330 service) and now I will be spending the night at the Parkroyal. Apparently QF won’t cover my hotel room in Sydney for tonight - would Amex travel insurance cover this if it’s weather related?

mh124

Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:22 am

planemanofnz wrote:
redroo wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Unfortunately not, its a solid 2 hr 30 minute drive in no traffic conditions from Perth to Busselton.
I was hoping that the reginonal catchment of Bunbury-Australind-Busselton and Margaret River and Augusta (roughly 150K people) would have been enough to sustain a 3 weekly service (when coupled to incoming east coast tourism). But - it's not exactly a well off place. These towns are full of retirees who moved there because its cheap and young families, who also moved there, because its cheap. Not exactly people who fly to the East Coast every second month. Overall disappointing but perhaps not that surprising. Bit like how an Indian airline won't be flying to Perth anyting in the next 3 or 4 years.

QF742

Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:42 am

mh124 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
redroo wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Unfortunately not, its a solid 2 hr 30 minute drive in no traffic conditions from Perth to Busselton.
I was hoping that the reginonal catchment of Bunbury-Australind-Busselton and Margaret River and Augusta (roughly 150K people) would have been enough to sustain a 3 weekly service (when coupled to incoming east coast tourism). But - it's not exactly a well off place. These towns are full of retirees who moved there because its cheap and young families, who also moved there, because its cheap. Not exactly people who fly to the East Coast every second month. Overall disappointing but perhaps not that surprising. Bit like how an Indian airline won't be flying to Perth anyting in the next 3 or 4 years.

I think revisiting this in a few more years could be worthwhile. I know a lot of Melburnians who travel to this region and it seems to be getting more popular. I think a 3x weekly flight between Oct/Nov - Easter could work to begin with. Let’s see where things are at in a few years when the WA economy hopefully starts to recover.

Obzerva

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:09 pm

QF742 wrote:
mh124 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

I think revisiting this in a few more years could be worthwhile. I know a lot of Melburnians who travel to this region and it seems to be getting more popular. I think a 3x weekly flight between Oct/Nov - Easter could work to begin with. Let’s see where things are at in a few years when the WA economy hopefully starts to recover.

I think for it to work they'll have to promote the flights as "Busselton - Margaret River" the same way PPP stopped being just Proserpine and leaned heavily on Whitsunday Coast

IndianicWorld

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:25 pm

EY454 (AUH-SYD) also diverted to MEL tonight. Nice to see the EY A380 back at MEL briefly :)

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:27 pm

Update on delays for PER

VA569 SYD-PER delayed about 15 hours, will now depart SYD around 930am
Tomorrow’s VA470 PER-BNE delayed about 6 hours

Qantas has cancelled
QF481 MEL-PER
QF583 SYD-PER
QF652 BNE-PER

Jetstar has cancelled JQ982/983 OOL-PER-OOL
Forum Moderator

QF41

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:42 pm

HBA airport...

I was just looking at flight radar and it appears that HBA will have 7 planes on the ground:

VH-VXM- Qantas
VH-YFX - Virgin
VH-VOP - Virgin
VH-YQW - Qantaslink
VH-VOP - Virgin

Those staying overnight plus:

VH-VWX - Jetstar heading to MEL

and:

VH-VGU - Jetstar that has been on the ground for 34hrs

My question, is HBA now using buses? from memory the apron can fit 5 aircraft. Seems like room is running out down there, especially when a plane goes tech!
Hopefully the terminal expansion that is in the planning stage includes a bigger apron.

Cheers
Must be somewhere can't be nowhere

QF, VA, JQ, SQ, AA, BA, DJ, MH, RJ, EK, EY, GA, AY, LA, CU, UL, NZ, CI, PR, AZ, AT, U2, MZ, NC, 3K

ZuluAlpha

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Regards SYD wether tonight and looking at flight radar at 2356Lt and it appears that dispensation has been granted as 2 departures have just occurred ..

QF548 to BNE and QF491 to MEL, both departed about 10 minutes ago.
Flown on:_CRJ, CR7 D10 DHT DH8, DH2, DH3, DH4, EMB, E45, E75, E90, F28 J32 M80 SH6 320, 32B, 332, 333, 380, 717, 732, 733, 734, 73H, 743, 744, 752 762, 763, 772, 77W