Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Qantas inaugural MEL-SFO today

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:13 pm

The inaugural Qantas QF49 MEL-SFO flight has just departed MEL. The first flight is being operated by VH-ZND

https://www.flightradar24.com/QFA49/1db6a3af

The expected flight time for the first flight is 13 hours and 13 minutes

https://twitter.com/AusBT/status/1035857320389963776
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Re: Qantas inaugural MEL-SFO today

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:29 pm

Forum Moderator

EddieDude

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:14 pm

Congrats to MEL, SFO and QF! Nice route.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

lightsaber

Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:01 pm

Yes, congrats!

I love all the new P2P routes emerging. Airports with O&D demand and the capacity to increase the number of flights, such as MEL, will thrive. I am all for minimizing the number of flights (my sister recently missed a connection punctuating the preference for direct flights).

QF is certainly using the abilities of the 789!

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

JAAlbert

Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:15 pm

It seems the 787 is a perfect aircraft for Qantas by allowing the airline to fly new or renewed routes.

B747forever

Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:49 pm

I am still surprised that QF is the one starting the route and not UA bearing in minde all feed at their SFO hub.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Arion640

Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:59 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Yes, congrats!

I love all the new P2P routes emerging. Airports with O&D demand and the capacity to increase the number of flights, such as MEL, will thrive. I am all for minimizing the number of flights (my sister recently missed a connection punctuating the preference for direct flights).

Lightsaber

Is it that P2P though? MEL is still a QF hub and has feed.

While the 787 has allowed the creation of flights that would of not been commercially viable before, a true P2P would be Darwin-SFO if you get me?

I can name few routes which don’t have a hub at each end the 787 has helped initiate.

XAM2175

Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:35 pm

B747forever wrote:
I am still surprised that QF is the one starting the route and not UA bearing in minde all feed at their SFO hub.

I know it's not the same as a joint-venture or even basic codeshare arrangement but QF have had an interline agreement with UA for some time now - I've seen quite a number of QF-UA itineraries out of LAX, for example.

Can see your point though.

babastud

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:06 pm

B747forever wrote:

I felt for some time that SFO was undeserved to Australia with a single UA SYD flight. There was a myth out there that only LAX flights to Australia could work. This has changed in the last 5 years. It took some time for QF to finally bring back the SYD-SFO flight, and they are doing really well on it! UA could have jumped into the MEL-SFO before QF, but choose to route LAX instead. This has allowed QF to strike first, and the demand is their on both sides with strong business O+D and transit. QF should do really well on this flight, and I'm sure UA will look closely to see if they may want to start a MEL flight also from SFO. UA has mostly relied on NZ to route through and connect to Brisbane, Mel and such to SFO. This should change now, as there is plenty of demand for more Australia service.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:24 pm

Perhaps part of the reason this flight has potential is because the aircraft is a 2-engine with smaller seating capacity. In this way the discounting of seats just to fill up a larger aircraft, doesn't have as great an effect on the route. Hence the yield is greater and of course this all corresponds to the time frame of the 787.

ACCS300

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:30 pm

JAAlbert wrote:
It seems the 787 is a perfect aircraft for Qantas by allowing the airline to fly new or renewed routes.

Very similar to the way Air Canada is deploying it's new 787-9s and 787-8s on new routes like YVR-MEL and YVR-BNE. Qantas and AC have similar sized home-markets and seem to have somewhat similar long-haul strategies these days
Last edited by ACCS300 on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speedalive

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:30 pm

Man that must be a bit of pain for the pilots to put in all of those coordinates in the FMS prior to the flight lol. Never seen so many for one flight. Especially since there's no short cut (eg: 5750N instead of N5700.0W05000.0) for those coordinates in particular and I don't think there'd be a company route for a long flight like that..
Last edited by Speedalive on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neomax

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:32 pm

I think MEL-SFO was a matter of time. But it should’ve been UA doing this first in my opinion. Nothing against QF but they aren’t exactly known for trying “new” routes compared to UA.

musman9853

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:39 pm

so does anyone else think with all the success the 787 has had at qantas, we could be looking at another top up order in the future?
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

Melbourne

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Good to see some real expansion by QF out of MEL recently.

I recall QF operated services to SFO from MEL around 10 years or so ago onboard 744s not sure if it was via SYD.

jayunited

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:06 pm

babastud wrote:
I felt for some time that SFO was undeserved to Australia with a single UA SYD flight. There was a myth out there that only LAX flights to Australia could work. This has changed in the last 5 years. It took some time for QF to finally bring back the SYD-SFO flight, and they are doing really well on it! UA could have jumped into the MEL-SFO before QF, but choose to route LAX instead. This has allowed QF to strike first, and the demand is their on both sides with strong business O+D and transit. QF should do really well on this flight, and I'm sure UA will look closely to see if they may want to start a MEL flight also from SFO. UA has mostly relied on NZ to route through and connect to Brisbane, Mel and such to SFO. This should change now, as there is plenty of demand for more Australia service.

First let me say congrats to QF for jumping on this route.
Secondly I agree SFO to Australia has been underserved for years, UA chose the safe route LAX-MEL, but I think we may see UA launch this route either in Oct 2020 or January 2021. Reason I'm estimating fall or winter 2020, 2021 is deliveries of UA recently order batch of 4 789s starts in 2020. This could provide UA with the necessary aircraft to launch this route and it will also give UA time to study the route.

redroo

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:57 pm

Arion640 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Yes, congrats!

Lightsaber

While the 787 has allowed the creation of flights that would of not been commercially viable before, a true P2P would be Darwin-SFO if you get me?

I can name few routes which don’t have a hub at each end the 787 has helped initiate.

They are P2P.

All the Australian capital cities have flights intra-state and technically have “feed”. But 98pc of the Aussie population lives in the capital cities. You’d be lucky to get one passenger from port Hedland on the PER LHR flight in a month never mind a day. We’re not spread out in the same way as the USA. The capital cities are a long way from being HUBS like our American cousins think of HUBS.

Gemuser

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:52 pm

redroo wrote:
They are P2P.

All the Australian capital cities have flights intra-state and technically have “feed”. But 98pc of the Aussie population lives in the capital cities. You’d be lucky to get one passenger from port Hedland on the PER LHR flight in a month never mind a day. We’re not spread out in the same way as the USA. The capital cities are a long way from being HUBS like our American cousins think of HUBS.

Bit of an exaggeration there Redroo! The capital cities have about 58 - 60% of the Aussie population [approximately 15 million out of 25 million]. In the context of MEL - SFO, MEL is a very reasonable hub for connecting intrastate Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, southern New South Wales and even CBR & PER to SFO.

Gemuser

QF742

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:57 pm

Great to see MEL finally being connected to a second mainland city! Well overdue!

Anyone have any insights as to how forward bookings are looking?

Hopefully if the AA-QF JV is approved we will see MEL-DFW launched as well.

bunumuring

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:05 am

Hey Gemuser,
I doubt that many Canberrans would choose Melbourne over Sydney as a connecting point for flights to SFO. I certainly have never heard of any planning to do so, though that's not saying much. Flights I believe are generally cheaper SYD-SFO and there's a choice of airline : two compelling reasons. Also, a three hour drive to Sydney Airport isn't too bad if that how you want to get to the connecting hub.
I agree however that for Tasmanians and South Australians, Melbourne would probably be the preferred option.
Cheers
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

Gemuser

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:26 am

bunumuring wrote:
Hey Gemuser,
I doubt that many Canberrans would choose Melbourne over Sydney as a connecting point for flights to SFO. I certainly have never heard of any planning to do so, though that's not saying much. Flights I believe are generally cheaper SYD-SFO and there's a choice of airline : two compelling reasons. Also, a three hour drive to Sydney Airport isn't too bad if that how you want to get to the connecting hub.
I agree however that for Tasmanians and South Australians, Melbourne would probably be the preferred option.
Cheers
Bunumuring

You can't say that yet because there has not been a MEL - SFO non stop. I think that at specific times a CBR-MEL-SFO routing will be cheaper than CBR-SYD-SFO routing and if so people will use it. I have been offered a SYD-MEL-LAX routing on the QF website and even more bizarrely SYD-BNE-AKL routing on the VA website. It all depends on price [which depends on demand] & how convenient the connection.

Gemuser

RyanairGuru

Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:15 am

bunumuring wrote:
Hey Gemuser,
Cheers
Bunumuring

I used to be a travel agent in Canberra and MEL was incredibly popular as a transit point among the Canberran travelling public as the international and domestic terminals are co-located which makes it much easier than SYD. To the US the additional flying time CBR-MEL-LAX is 40 minutes longer than CBR-SYD-LAX, which is negligible on a flight that long, whereas heading west the total flying time via MEL is actually slightly quicker to destinations like SIN and DXB (obviously dependent on schedules for the domestic connection).
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Arion640

Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:47 am

redroo wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Yes, congrats!

Lightsaber

They are P2P.

You’re missing the point. I’m not saying MEL is a hub on the scale of AMS, but it certainly has feed.

A true P2P route is stand alone.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:49 am

VH-ZND prior to departure for the inaugural SFO-MEL flight with VH-OEG operating QF74 to SYD in the background,

https://twitter.com/timjue/status/1036093425379041281
Forum Moderator

Dogbreath

Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:58 am

Speedalive wrote:
Man that must be a bit of pain for the pilots to put in all of those coordinates in the FMS prior to the flight lol. Never seen so many for one flight. Especially since there's no short cut (eg: 5750N instead of N5700.0W05000.0) for those coordinates in particular and I don't think there'd be a company route for a long flight like that..

I don't fly for Qantas (but fly 787's for another airline), but I doubt very much that they would need to manually load the FMC with the flight plan. Most modern airlines download the flight plan via ACARS, saving an awful lot of time and reduces the risk for human error at this late stage in the preflight. After the flight plan is downloaded from ACARS, the flight crew then do a quick Route Check as part of their Preflight checks. For the oceanic portion of the flight, they would also do a check of the FMC tracks and distances against the flight plan data between oceanic waypoints to confirm the correct routing.

If during flight an amended route is required and a long waypoint such as N5700.0 W05000.0 is needed, the naming convention for the 787 FMC is N57W050. When inserted and prior to execution of the new route, you press the line select key adjacent to the waypoint and place it into the scratchpad. The full coordinates N5700.0 W050000.0 will show in the scratchpad and is the procedure used to confirm the full waypoint coordinates are correctly inserted. You then need to confirm the tracks and distances are correct (this is found in the Jeppesen Manual or a Company manual). If OK, the new route is executed and flown.

The only time you would need to insert the full lat/long coordinate into the FMC (during a flight plan route change) is if the waypoint is not a 'clean' lat/long, for example a half latitude N5730.0 W05000.0. This coordinate would need to be added in full, however the FMC will still name this as N57W050, hence the check of the full coordinate in the scratchpad before executing the new route.
Truth, Honour, Loyalty

Chasensfo

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:43 am

Melbourne wrote:

I recall QF operated services to SFO from MEL around 10 years or so ago onboard 744s not sure if it was via SYD.

Must have routed thru SYD, this was the first scheduled non-stop today. United used to have a 747 fly SYD-MEL which was sometimes sold as "SFO-MEL" on peoples itineraries, but of course had a stop.

Nice celebration at the gate, snagged a pair of Qantas 787 PJs no one wanted and got to handle QF49 and QF50. :)

QF49 crew wasn't very friendly and did not feel like having any kind of non-standard chat, outbound crew was awesome, as is typical for QF.

qf789 wrote:
VH-ZND prior to departure for the inaugural SFO-MEL flight with VH-OEG operating QF74 to SYD in the background,

AWESOME SHOT!

Qantas is dumping their SFO mechanics in favor of KLM Engineering, who will do this 787 flight and then take over the 747 a few months later. This comes just 2 years after QF dropped BA engineering for its own folks. This guy mechanic told me once that he was very sad that he wouldn't get to work on the 787, as he was very excited for it. When I recognized his voice and QF's 747 wasn't parking near the 787, there were no other flights in that area so I told him he could tow over and get pics from whatever angle he wants of the inaugural and then back on up and keep going to the gate. It made me very happy to do that for him, and was neat to see the 747 posing with the 787. I'm happy you caught it.

simpv

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:53 pm

That's great, and congrats to QF, MEL, and SFO!

This seems like a very efficient use, since the aircraft is only on the ground at SFO for 3 hours. I understand that SFO and LAX are used as gateways for connecting pax, but why aren't more US-Australia flights timed this way? It seems that a few flights could be changed to increase aircraft utilization.

bunumuring

Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:46 pm

Hey Gemuser and RyanairGuru,
Thanks for your replies. I appreciate your input and stand corrected. I guess the Canberrans I know who transit Sydney rather than Melbourne are in the overall minority. Where I live I can choose to fly domestically out of Canberra or Sydney and make the decision based on price, timing and airline equipment, as I pay for all flying out of my own pocket. My Canberrans friends and work colleagues seem to all use Sydney for international connections : never have I heard of any using Melbourne for international flights. They may not however be a representative sample of the wider Canberrans population.
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

XAM2175

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:02 pm

simpv wrote:
I understand that SFO and LAX are used as gateways for connecting pax, but why aren't more US-Australia flights timed this way? It seems that a few flights could be changed to increase aircraft utilization.

It's been discussed elsewhere but the basics of it are that passenger demand for departure and arrival times at both ends makes the long layovers effectively unavoidable. They could of course shorten them, but these seem to be the most commercially-viable schedules.

Correspondingly QF run a fairly-major line-maintenance base at LAX to at least use the time.

irishpower

Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:29 pm

Love the fact they gave a flight number of 49.

As in San Francisco 49ers. Or an ode to the gold rush in Northern California in 1849.

INFINITI329

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:37 pm

irishpower wrote:
Love the fact they gave a flight number of 49.

As in San Francisco 49ers. Or an ode to the gold rush in Northern California in 1849.

Probably a little bit of both the 49ers name is derived from the gold rush of 1849.

Gemuser

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:30 am

simpv wrote:

This seems like a very efficient use, since the aircraft is only on the ground at SFO for 3 hours. I understand that SFO and LAX are used as gateways for connecting pax, but why aren't more US-Australia flights timed this way? It seems that a few flights could be changed to increase aircraft utilization.

With a 19:00 arrival time into SFO it's not really much of a connection gateway for QF. That would mean any connection would have to be after about 21:00, are there many, maybe red eyes to the east coast other than NYC? That's why a late afternoon/evening arrival ex Australia is very uncommon, no connections. That's the reason the normal arrival time into the US from Australia is early morning to early afternoon.
The return flight leaves in the conventional 22:00 - 24:00 time slot, which does allow for connections but I suspect QF is not counting on many connections on the SFO end. So I would assume that LAX/DFW remain the main connection points to/from Australia for QF.

Gemuser

Chasensfo

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:10 am

Gemuser wrote:
simpv wrote:

With a 19:00 arrival time into SFO it's not really much of a connection gateway for QF. That would mean any connection would have to be after about 21:00, are there many, maybe red eyes to the east coast other than NYC?

Yes, in fact, some cities have flights in 2-3 different banks. I know AA has redeyes to DFW/CLT/PHL/ORD/MIA/JFK that pax from MEL can connect on to, plus I think Qantas has limited connections onto Alaska and jetBlue, don't they? I see the Qantas codeshare logo pop up all the time.

as739x

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:21 pm

[quote="Chasensfo"][quote="Melbourne"]Good to see some real expansion by QF out of MEL recently.

"When I recognized his voice and QF's 747 wasn't parking near the 787, there were no other flights in that area so I told him he could tow over and get pics from whatever angle he wants of the inaugural and then back on up and keep going to the gate. It made me very happy to do that for him, and was neat to see the 747 posing with the 787. I'm happy you caught it"

Showoff!!! Glad you guys have another beauty to watch from up there. SFO seems to keep getting them. Few more weeks and I'll be asking you to take my pic as I go by
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Gemuser

Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:56 am

From Chasensfo in reply 33:
"Yes, in fact, some cities have flights in 2-3 different banks. "
After about 21:00?

"I know AA has redeyes to DFW/CLT/PHL/ORD/MIA/JFK that pax from MEL can connect on to,"
None of these are "east coast other than NYC" except MIA & PHL that I asked about. I doubt PHL has much traffic to Australia and it would probably be easier to get the train to JFK [especially when the non stop comes about] or to connect on AA in DFW or LAX. MIA is a good possibility but again traffic level would be low and Florida would most likely be just one stop on a multi stop trip for most Australian POS, even many business trips. The other are adequately served via LAX/DFW.

"plus I think Qantas has limited connections onto Alaska and jetBlue, don't they? I see the Qantas codeshare logo pop up all the time."
On AS definitely, B6 not to my knowledge, but I could have missed the announcement. Even so how many of these connections are after 21:00? Not many I'd bet.

Gemuser

TonyBurr

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:56 am

Is that the same aircraft that made the initial PER-LHR?

PlaneBoo

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:26 am

TonyBurr wrote:
Is that the same aircraft that made the initial PER-LHR?

Yes, -ZND operated the inaugural direct QF9/10

Chasensfo

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:22 am

as739x wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:
Melbourne wrote:

"When I recognized his voice and QF's 747 wasn't parking near the 787, there were no other flights in that area so I told him he could tow over and get pics from whatever angle he wants of the inaugural and then back on up and keep going to the gate. It made me very happy to do that for him, and was neat to see the 747 posing with the 787. I'm happy you caught it"

Showoff!!! Glad you guys have another beauty to watch from up there. SFO seems to keep getting them. Few more weeks and I'll be asking you to take my pic as I go by

Dude,

"Ground we need to pull into the ramp for a minute"
"OK, 127.575"
(take photos)
"123 ready at spot 2"
"Ok continue Alpha, Alpha One"

:)

You'd barely recognize SFO now. Doing FIDS is a nightmare. Every IROP is a crisis, and carriers hop back and forth between A/G so often they don't even complain anymore. Airlines add SFO so often that not all the inaugurals even get an event anymore. Qantas threw a great shin dig at the MEL gate, biz class pajamas and custom Qantas tail cupcakes for all. Managed to snag 2 dozen because the health-conscious Aussies barely touched them. :)

Speedalive

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:10 pm

Dogbreath wrote:
I don't fly for Qantas (but fly 787's for another airline), but I doubt very much that they would need to manually load the FMC with the flight plan. Most modern airlines download the flight plan via ACARS, saving an awful lot of time and reduces the risk for human error at this late stage in the preflight. After the flight plan is downloaded from ACARS, the flight crew then do a quick Route Check as part of their Preflight checks. For the oceanic portion of the flight, they would also do a check of the FMC tracks and distances against the flight plan data between oceanic waypoints to confirm the correct routing.

If during flight an amended route is required and a long waypoint such as N5700.0 W05000.0 is needed, the naming convention for the 787 FMC is N57W050. When inserted and prior to execution of the new route, you press the line select key adjacent to the waypoint and place it into the scratchpad. The full coordinates N5700.0 W050000.0 will show in the scratchpad and is the procedure used to confirm the full waypoint coordinates are correctly inserted. You then need to confirm the tracks and distances are correct (this is found in the Jeppesen Manual or a Company manual). If OK, the new route is executed and flown.

The only time you would need to insert the full lat/long coordinate into the FMC (during a flight plan route change) is if the waypoint is not a 'clean' lat/long, for example a half latitude N5730.0 W05000.0. This coordinate would need to be added in full, however the FMC will still name this as N57W050, hence the check of the full coordinate in the scratchpad before executing the new route.

Thanks for the info Dogbreath! Learned something new :)

mooseofspruce

Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:56 am

It's been almost a week but here are some photos (they're clickable to enlarge):

(I figured if I went to SFO itself to spot, that I'd be competing with my spotter friends in some of the small spaces, and the flight was headed for gate A3 and would thus be difficult to photograph for non-passengers...so I went to Bayfront Park for a video where there were one or two other spotters total):

Check-in area:

Not long after I showed up just to have a look, the QF50 crew arrived and selfies and group photos with everything from the balloons to the promos on the columns ensued.

The terminal was also lit red, though not sure if it was actually for QF (I usually remember there being the airline's logo somewhere on it):

#GDayfromtheBay and #GDayMelbourne were the hashtags SFO and QF promoted so there might be more on various platforms under those tags.

qf789 wrote:

Oh, so that's who I met at the check-in area also taking photos of what was set up! I saw him holding a seat 2D boarding pass so I figured he was a passenger but he said he wasn't going anywhere :lol:; now I can put a name to a face (having read some of his news articles before...and I never asked for his name, whoops) and now it makes sense how that worked.
I saw a flock of Moosen! Many much moosen! Out in the woods, in the wood-es, in the woodsen!

smi0006

Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:59 am

Glad to see QF jump on this route, I was surprised UA announced SYD-IAH before SFO-MEL. Not sure if this will scare UA away or not? Not sure in the next five or so years the market will be big enough for UA and QF.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the AA/QF JV is approved we see this become daily;
QF MEL-SFO Daily
QF MEL-DFW 3-4 weekly 789
AA LAX-MEL 3-4 weekly taking over the current QF 789 2weekly releasing it for SFO.
Along with a potential:
QF BNE-ORD

Not much of a fleet planner so not sure QF 789 order could support this however.

simpv

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:34 pm

smi0006 wrote:
Glad to see QF jump on this route, I was surprised UA announced SYD-IAH before SFO-MEL. Not sure if this will scare UA away or not? Not sure in the next five or so years the market will be big enough for UA and QF.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the AA/QF JV is approved we see this become daily;
QF MEL-SFO Daily
QF MEL-DFW 3-4 weekly 789
AA LAX-MEL 3-4 weekly taking over the current QF 789 2weekly releasing it for SFO.
Along with a potential:
QF BNE-ORD

Not much of a fleet planner so not sure QF 789 order could support this however.

I could see MEL-SFO becoming daily as well. I've seen that in addition to AA, Alaska and occasionally UA allow connecting passengers on a QF. Do you think these would continue under a QF-AA JV? Or that these codeshare routes could produce enough connection passengers to maintain a daily MEL-SFO flight?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos