Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

indcwby
Topic Author

Typhoon Jebi hits Japan, KIX currently closed and underwater

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Residents across Japan should be making preparations as Typhoon Jebi is expected to threaten lives and property from Monday night into Wednesday. I am currently in Tokyo for business, but some of my colleagues seem to think this will be a minor event. Anyone have reports of flight cancellations that are pending? I have one colleague flying landing in Tokyo when this Typhoon hits Japan.
Last edited by qf789 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
A319, A320, A330, A340, B717, B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, CRJ7, DC10, MD88, MD11, E145, E175
"Always remember that you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands."

izbtmnhd

Re: Typhoon Jebi heading to Japan, Any reported disruptions?

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Yes it was Cat 5 storm in the Tropical Pacific. By the time it reaches Japan it will be fast moving weak Cat 1 storm hitting near Osaka.

Japanese don’t share the weather hysteria Americans have recently developed which is why they don’t think it’s a big deal. The islands get hit with quite a few storms every year.

lightsaber

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:14 pm

Note: This is an aviation forum. Please try to keep discussion related to aviation. Of course storm strength and track are part of that.
Winter is coming.

itisi

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:42 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Note: This is an aviation forum. Please try to keep discussion related to aviation. Of course storm strength and track are part of that.

We are talking about the effect the storm will have on aviation in Japan.... surely that's aviation related.

I would expect serious delays in Osaka seeing the eye is forecast to be very close!! Tokyo.... no doubt there will be effects there too.

Look out for more crazy videos of landings in Tokyo!
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)

c933103

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:42 am

izbtmnhd wrote:
Yes it was Cat 5 storm in the Tropical Pacific. By the time it reaches Japan it will be fast moving weak Cat 1 storm hitting near Osaka.

Japanese don’t share the weather hysteria Americans have recently developed which is why they don’t think it’s a big deal. The islands get hit with quite a few storms every year.

... some Japanese News are still saying it could be the first typhoon in 25 years to make landfall as Japanese main islands at a very strong intensity (85knot+ wind speed).
I would say those warning given by American agency/media to area forecasted to be affected by hurricane are not unjustified. More information will be necessary to help people better understand what kind of preparation they would need, but in those area that Hurricanes rarely hit, only limited amount of information can be put onto receivers with limited influence along with the ever-evolving uncertainty in forecast so what you can tell them would be how to face the event in this period of time instead of telling them why it might not hit that won't really be helpful
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

izbtmnhd

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:28 am

c933103 wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

... some Japanese News are still saying it could be the first typhoon in 25 years to make landfall as Japanese main islands at a very strong intensity (85knot+ wind speed).
I would say those warning given by American agency/media to area forecasted to be affected by hurricane are not unjustified. More information will be necessary to help people better understand what kind of preparation they would need, but in those area that Hurricanes rarely hit, only limited amount of information can be put onto receivers with limited influence along with the ever-evolving uncertainty in forecast so what you can tell them would be how to face the event in this period of time instead of telling them why it might not hit that won't really be helpful

I understand your point and disagree. I would say running headlines of Hurricane Lane as a Cat 4 storm to strike Hawaii was overhyping a CPHC forecast which showed Lane falling apart consistenly and never making landfall.

Anyway, JTWC has the typhoon at 75kts gusting to 90 at landfall. That’s a Cat 1 Hurricane. At little stronger than Jongdari earlier in the summer. We’ll see what happens.

It’s just going to be windy and rainy in Tokyo. Not much effect for aviation at HND or NRT.

The worst part is it’s hitting areas which have already seen above normal rains since the wet season started.

c933103

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:17 am

izbtmnhd wrote:
c933103 wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

I understand your point and disagree. I would say running headlines of Hurricane Lane as a Cat 4 storm to strike Hawaii was overhyping a CPHC forecast which showed Lane falling apart consistenly and never making landfall.

Anyway, JTWC has the typhoon at 75kts gusting to 90 at landfall. That’s a Cat 1 Hurricane. At little stronger than Jongdari earlier in the summer. We’ll see what happens.

It’s just going to be windy and rainy in Tokyo. Not much effect for aviation at HND or NRT.

The worst part is it’s hitting areas which have already seen above normal rains since the wet season started.

JMA is still forecasting 85kt wind gust 120 with 945hpa min pressure at landfall for Jebi.
Jongdari was not very strong, however it still caused some unexpected damages in Japan due to the unusual direction.
In Lane's case, iirc there were large disagreement between different forecast. More importantly in models that expected it to hit Hawaii its direction is also not going to follow what other already-rare occurrence of cyclone around that area. The complexity should be better delivered to citizens however residents in the area but bar that it is a good idea to advertise the "worst predictable scenario". Note that however that would not be worst case scenario as that's all probability.
As for the emphasis on it being Cat 4....that's what media will always do as that's the most eye-grabbing headlines. What can be improved however is how much detailed explanation can media provide. And again, since the frequency for the area to be hit by cyclones isn't high, local media there are most probably not experienced enough to deal with how to report cyclones with different characteristics and this would be the natural result.

TheKennady2

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:01 am

Most of JRs network in west and central Japan will be halted tomorrow, trains will like resume weds depending on the damage. As far as flights, there will likely be cancelations in Osaka, Nagoya, and smaller airports will be affected, crosswinds will be to strong and heavy rain makes landing hazardous. Schools and many workplaces will be halted tomorrow as well, this is the word i am getting from the Osaka/Kobe Area.

StTim

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:23 am

I was in Japan (Kyoto) a couple of weeks ago and a typhoon made landfall about the Osaka region then (there have been lots this year) and apart from a windy night in the hotel and some rail disruptions it was not disruptive.

Japan is very prepared for such weather incidents.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:41 am

Have a flight coming in few weeks, maybe it's going to be delayed?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

seansasLCY

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:45 am

SQ789 wrote:

I sincerely doubt a typhoon this week will delay your flight in a few weeks unless the airport is destroyed.

TheKennady2

Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:57 am

StTim wrote:
I was in Japan (Kyoto) a couple of weeks ago and a typhoon made landfall about the Osaka region then (there have been lots this year) and apart from a windy night in the hotel and some rail disruptions it was not disruptive.

Yes but this is the 5th Typhoon to come this way in the last 2 months or so, major flooding already killed 220 in west Japan/Okayama area, Japan has many hills and moutains, soft terrian which is susceptible to landslides and flooding. As long as the storm moves fast its usually not that bad but if the storm slows and dumps alot of rain problems can occur. I have gotten stuck in Osaka once and Kyoto once due to train service being suspended and busses full or not running. It can be a headace. I was in Kobe for the last Typoon and it passed through quick, not much damage, hope for the same this time.

TheKennady2

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:00 am

StTim wrote:

Yes but this is the 5th Typhoon to come this way in the last 2 months or so, major flooding already killed 220 in west Japan/Okayama area, Japan has many hills and moutains, soft terrian which is susceptible to landslides and flooding. As long as the storm moves fast its usually not that bad but if the storm slows and dumps alot of rain problems can occur. I have gotten stuck in Osaka once and Kyoto once due to train service being suspended and busses full or not running. It can be a headace. I was in Kobe for the last Typoon and it passed through quick, not much damage, hope for the same this time.

c933103

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:38 am

SQ789 wrote:

You need to check whether there're any new typhoons going to that area at that time.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:59 am

I just saw on flightradar24 that many flights to/from Japan are all delayed.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

izbtmnhd

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:13 pm

TheKennady2 wrote:
StTim wrote:

Storm is moving pretty fast and is not forecast to stall.

TheKennady2

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:19 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
TheKennady2 wrote:
StTim wrote:

Storm is moving pretty fast and is not forecast to stall.

Thankfully yes, i just hope JR is running again on weds, flights will be fine by weds morning.

raylee67

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:55 pm

Seems like it would be a big one. Cathay Pacific is reporting the following planned disruptions:

The following flights on Tuesday, 4 September 2018, have been cancelled:

CX548 from Hong Kong to Tokyo (Haneda Airport)
CX549 from Tokyo (Haneda Airport) to Hong Kong
CX568 from Hong Kong to Osaka
CX569 from Osaka to Hong Kong
CX564 from Hong Kong to Taipei
CX469 from Taipei to Hong Kong

The following flights on Tuesday, 4 September 2018, have been delayed by at least 4 hours.

CX530 from Hong Kong to Taipei
CX530 from Taipei to Nagoya
CX531 from Nagoya to Taipei
CX531 from Taipei to Hong Kong
CX564 from Taipei to Osaka
CX565 from Osaka to Taipei
CX565 from Taipei to Hong Kong
CX506 from Hong Kong to Osaka
CX507 from Osaka to Hong Kong
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

zakuivcustom

Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:40 pm

https://www.flypeach.com/pc/en/lm/flightStatus

Peach, based in KIX, is also cancelling a ton of flights.

ANA is cancelling most flights from Chugoku (HIJ/OKJ/YGJ), Kansai region (KIX/ITM/UKB), Shikoku (MYJ/TAK/TKS/KCZ), and Nagoya on 4th, Tohoku region on 5th (SDJ/FKS/AXT/AOJ, etc.) and some flights in Hokkaido late PM 5th (Pretty much every airport in Hokkaido except CTS):
https://www.ana.co.jp/fs/dom/en/

Same story for JAL:
https://www.jal.co.jp/cms/other/en/weat ... 01#OUTLOOK
https://www.jal.co.jp/cms/other/en/weat ... o_int.html

The storm seems to be moving quickly, though, so things should be back to normal in Western Japan by the 5th, and Northern Japan by the 6th.

eamondzhang

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:46 am

KIX is taking a heavy hit, flooded everywhere: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/201809 ... sult=台風21号

Reports also say all ILS systems down, together with VOR, DME, auto METAR system and wind detector for 24L. ATC personnel is evacuated.

Edit: apparently a ship just collided with the expressway bridge that connects KIX to the mainland.

Michael

Momo1435

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:03 am

It's a big one, I see a lot of images and videos of damage in the Kansai area on social media. The whole harbor area in Kobe was flooded, the latest pictures already show that the typhoon has passed. Hopefully the number of casualties will be limited.

Looking at the flooding at KIX and the heavy damage to the bridge there will most likely be disruptions for days to come.

downdata

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:26 am

eamondzhang wrote:
KIX is taking a heavy hit, flooded everywhere: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/201809 ... sult=台風21号

Reports also say all ILS systems down, together with VOR, DME, auto METAR system and wind detector for 24L. ATC personnel is evacuated.

Edit: apparently a ship just collided with the expressway bridge that connects KIX to the mainland.

Michael

It looks like the entire airport is under water...

ktachiya

Osaka Kansai Airport (KIX) underwater due to storm surge with bridge destroyed

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:32 am

Wow...

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... dm/065000c

Japanese media is reporting that Osaka Kansai Airport is underwater due to the storm surge from typhoon Jebi. To make matters worse, a vessel anchored in Osaka Bay drifted into the bridge linking the mainland and KIX. It seems that one side of the bridge is OK, but the side which goes from KIX to Osaka City has been chopped off with a tanker in its place.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/201809 ... 91000.html

Link only in Japanese...
Flown on: DC-10-30, B747-200B, B747-300, B747-300SR, B747-400, B747-400D, B767-300, B777-200, B777-200ER, B777-300

downdata

Re: Osaka Kansai Airport (KIX) underwater due to storm surge with bridge destroyed

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:34 am

Hmm i wonder how long before the airport is operational again... a week?

hongkongflyer

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:41 am

downdata wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:

Michael

It looks like the entire airport is under water...

and the damage to the only bridge linking the airport and the mainland
[img]https://scontent-hkg3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40662275_1764733420322518_8278580790531457024_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=296751c77c637d8a75f0613221352ab0&oe=5C3576C5
[/img]
credit: NHK

Chasensfo

Re: Osaka Kansai Airport (KIX) underwater due to storm surge with bridge destroyed

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:31 am

WOW! The Japanese are very resourceful, but I would imagine just about every airport vehicle and jetbridge has water damage. I'm sure the airport will be partially open within 1 week, but I'd be very impressed to see it fully operational.

JAL delayed their SFO-HND departure several hours but departed afterwards. I suppose UA34/35 won't be operating for a while, best of luck to any non-revs in KIX.

moa999

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:42 am

Ouch so looks like half the traffic lanes and at least one rail track out of action.

c933103

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:42 am

Are there any immigration facility left at ITM or have they installed any of those at UKB that could allow airlines to use them at alternative airport to fly passengers in?

qf789

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:12 am

Here are few photos of KIX underwater

https://twitter.com/AirportWebcams/stat ... 2362360832
Forum Moderator

itisi

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:22 am

The bridge is damaged, not destroyed. As for the airport not all is underwear and it was only the storm surge so it should dry quick. As for water in the buildings..... that's not good!

No road or rail link.... that's also going to be a problem.
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)

qf789

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:24 am

Another overview of the airport, there are a few aircraft on the ground as well

https://twitter.com/mainichiphoto/statu ... 7950724097
Forum Moderator

downdata

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:29 am

Im guessing all the flights will be diverted to ITM?

george77300

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:50 am

qf789 wrote:
Another overview of the airport, there are a few aircraft on the ground as well

https://twitter.com/mainichiphoto/statu ... 7950724097

I'm very surprised ANA decided to leave at least 3 planes there considering. Hopefully they will be fine.

zakuivcustom

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:57 am

itisi wrote:
The bridge is damaged, not destroyed. As for the airport not all is underwear and it was only the storm surge so it should dry quick. As for water in the buildings..... that's not good!

No road or rail link.... that's also going to be a problem.

Looks to me the rail bridge underneath is intact, as is the side of bridge going from KIX to "mainland".

As for flooding - 6R/24L (The original runway, close to the main terminal) is flooded, as is most of the main terminal (T1). T2 (The LCC terminal, use mainly by Peach) along with the other runway (6L/24R) looks fine, although I can imagined some of the localizer being damaged.

My guess is limit operation within a week. Domesic flights are going to ITM most likely. No clue about International flight, though. Extra flights into NGO? Or even TKS or OKJ?

TheKennady2

Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:03 pm

downdata wrote:

Most have been canceled, and the cancelations started yesterday so i did not notice many diversions.

c933103

Re: Typhoon Jebi hits Japan, KIX currently closed and underwater

Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:04 pm

Around 2650 people remain in the Kansai airport now.

globetrotter94

Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:05 pm

downdata wrote:

Or NGO. Or HND. Or NRT.
6E, 9W, AF, AI, B6, BA, BI, BR, CA, DN, GA, IC, JL, KB, KL, KU, NH, QR, SQ, TG, TK, UA, VS

c933103

Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:45 pm

ANA have already cancelled all tomorrow flights to Kansai Airport, and then even Osaka Itami airport flights are still expected to face delays or cancellation tomorrow depends or degree of damages the airport have received which the airport is currently checking

raylee67

Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:57 pm

CX has now cancelled all flights to KIX tomorrow (Sep 5) and the red-eye HKG-KIX on Sep 6 as well, apparently not anticipating the airport to be re-opened until Thurs mid-day the earliest.

The flooding at the apron looks very deep. News report also said underground facilities such as the train station is damaged by flood. Once the flood recede, they will probably need to check all the wires and pipes under the apron too. There will be a lot of clean-up work to do.

International flights to KIX will likely continued to be cancelled into tomorrow. For domestic flights into KIX, the airlines may have the option to re-route them to Itami or even Kobe, not sure if they will do that though.

Kobe Airport is also on a man-made island in the same bay, actually not that far from KIX. Did it get flooded too or is it spared?
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX

Francoflier

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:07 pm

The broken bridge is going to be the major -quite literal- roadblock going ahead.

It is unusable for vehicles, and I doubt trains will be allowed on it before repairs are done, which could take weeks.

They might have to setup an emergency ferry service in the meantime.

There is quite a lot of damage overall, and will take a long time to return to normality.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

LupineChemist

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:10 pm

raylee67 wrote:
CX has now cancelled all flights to KIX tomorrow (Sep 5) and the red-eye HKG-KIX on Sep 6 as well, apparently not anticipating the airport to be re-opened until Thurs mid-day the earliest.

The flooding at the apron looks very deep. News report also said underground facilities such as the train station is damaged by flood. Once the flood recede, they will probably need to check all the wires and pipes under the apron too. There will be a lot of clean-up work to do.

International flights to KIX will likely continued to be cancelled into tomorrow. For domestic flights into KIX, the airlines may have the option to re-route them to Itami or even Kobe, not sure if they will do that though.

Kobe Airport is also on a man-made island in the same bay, actually not that far from KIX. Did it get flooded too or is it spared?

Yeah, looks like they'll have to do a complete validation of electrical systems at the very least which can take a bit, even at Japanese speed. Though I imagine they'll be able to get essential systems within a couple days, but will definitely take longer to get to fully operational again.

For any geotechnical experts out there, any danger for the structural integrity of the runway/taxiways with flooding like this? I would think very little since it was made on reclaimed land.

jeffrey0032j

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:14 pm

All that damaged GSE will need time to be fixed or repaired or have replacements transported in before they can resume operations.

globetrotter94

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:14 pm

raylee67 wrote:

JAL does not have regular flights into UKB, so wonder if they even have the infrastructure in place to handle re-routes there?
6E, 9W, AF, AI, B6, BA, BI, BR, CA, DN, GA, IC, JL, KB, KL, KU, NH, QR, SQ, TG, TK, UA, VS

zakuivcustom

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:18 pm

Francoflier wrote:
It is unusable for vehicles, and I doubt trains will be allowed on it before repairs are done, which could take weeks.

Electricity and damage to signaling system would also be a problem. I actually didn't remember that (or the fact that the station is underground, even though I've used KIX multiple times). Even at Japanese speed, that would be at least two weeks (They'll definitely fix it quick, though, as the Airport Line actually makes money for JR West and Nankai, unlike some of the rural lines which can take a year or two to fix :white: ).

As for domestic flights - I would say maybe some upgauging here and there. Neither JL nor NH has a ton of domestic flights going into KIX anyway. MM would be hurt greatly with KIX shut down. T2 may be intact along with the runway, but ground access to/from the airport would be a big problem.

raylee67 wrote:

http://news.kobekeizai.jp/blog-entry-2457.html (Sorry Japanese Only)

No problems at all at Kobe Airport. I can imagined some additional flights going there temporarily, especially now that there won't be a problem with airspace conflict with KIX.

c933103

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:19 pm

raylee67 wrote:

No big problem at UKB according to report

globetrotter94

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Francoflier wrote:
The broken bridge is going to be the major -quite literal- roadblock going ahead.

There is quite a lot of damage overall, and will take a long time to return to normality.

Yep, I'm counting on the Kansai Airport Port becoming the lifeline in the upcoming weeks. They'll have to step up bus connections between the port and terminal as well.

DDR

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Francoflier wrote:

Agreed. Guess all the arm chair meteorologists talking about media hysteria were wrong.

My thoughts are with all of those affected by the storm - both stranded employees and passengers. Hopefully there will be no loss of life. I would imagine that there will probably be damage to tugs and other ground equipment. Hopefully the fuel tanks underground aren't contaminated.

raylee67

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:41 pm

globetrotter94 wrote:

Yep, I'm counting on the Kansai Airport Port becoming the lifeline in the upcoming weeks. They'll have to step up bus connections between the port and terminal as well.

That reminds me a few years ago when a ship hit the bridge connecting to HKG, and the bridge was closed for a few hours. Even that caused major disruption to traffic to/from the airport.

I cannot imagine there are nearly enough ferries and people to operate them, to even cover 10% of the capacity of the bridge.
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX

c933103

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:45 pm

Francoflier wrote:

Even the ferry operator for the link between KIX and Kobe is now saying that they won't operate the service tomorrow and still TBA thereafter

lightsaber

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:51 pm

c933103 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

Even the ferry operator for the link between KIX and Kobe is now saying that they won't operate the service tomorrow and still TBA thereafter

I wish them luck getting back to normal opperations.

How much capacity will the ferries enable?
Winter is coming.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos