Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789

Re: Typhoon Jebi hits Japan, KIX currently closed and underwater

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:00 pm

Another photo from a different angle of the current situation

https://twitter.com/AirportWebcams/stat ... 0329920512
Forum Moderator

DarthLobster

Re: Typhoon Jebi heading to Japan, Any reported disruptions?

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:02 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
Japanese don’t share the weather hysteria Americans have recently developed which is why they don’t think it’s a big deal. The islands get hit with quite a few storms every year.

If you had experienced the likes of Harvey, you would understand.

c933103

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:17 pm

Peach airlines say their three aircrafts at the airport together with their staffs and passengers are safe
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

c933103

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:21 pm

https://www.47news.jp/national/2733626.html
Amount of people trapped in Kansai airport have been updated to about five thousands

c933103

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:48 pm

According to announcement within KIX as relayed by people there on twitter, it seems like KIX will be closed at least until 6th September 15:00 local time. Also they said they have enough emergency food for 10,000 people for 3 days so that's not a problem for now. And it seems like they have opened some airside area of the airport for people staying in landside to take rest in.

TheKennady2

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:22 pm

Still baffles me how that Tanker ship was still out on the water, or anywhere near Major Bridge. I know sometimes it can be safer for some ships to ride out typhoons rather than remained moored but this is rediculous. The Airport is nearly Unusable without the bridge, ferries cant keep up with the traffic demand to KIX. KIX is the main airport in the region i live, im forced to use it and i hope everything is fixed in a month when i need to fly out of Japan.

zakuivcustom

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:53 pm

TheKennady2 wrote:
Still baffles me how that Tanker ship was still out on the water, or anywhere near Major Bridge. I know sometimes it can be safer for some ships to ride out typhoons rather than remained moored but this is rediculous. The Airport is nearly Unusable without the bridge, ferries cant keep up with the traffic demand to KIX. KIX is the main airport in the region i live, im forced to use it and i hope everything is fixed in a month when i need to fly out of Japan.

I'm not sure if the tanker ship is really "out on the water". There was a few ship that was moored but had their rope snap by the fierce wind. The tanker was also empty, although it has crew onboard.

P.S. Not sure about the condition of the roads INSIDE the airport. One of the two side of the bridge is definitely usable and will likely be used to eventually evacuate those stranded pax. Well, either that or it may be quicker to actually fly them out.

TheKennady2

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:18 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
TheKennady2 wrote:

I'm not sure if the tanker ship is really "out on the water". There was a few ship that was moored but had their rope snap by the fierce wind. The tanker was also empty, although it has crew onboard.

P.S. Not sure about the condition of the roads INSIDE the airport. One of the two side of the bridge is definitely usable and will likely be used to eventually evacuate those stranded pax. Well, either that or it may be quicker to actually fly them out.

If it was a Japanese crew on the ship i would bet they were trying to move the ship to another harbor, if it was a international crew maybe they became confused and overwhelmed by the weather and lost control of the ship in a area they were not as familiar with. I use to be in the NAVY and we never stayed near any hard land or infrastructure during a typhoon, we rode it out, i know not all ships can do that but if the crew was on board they were operating it in a confined area in dangerous weather. I imagine this could have been avoided. You are right about the other side of the bridge, it has 2 lanes so traffic can move on it but im sure it wont be open until the broken side is stabilized, and i cant imagine Trains underneath would be able to run.

c933103

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:19 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
TheKennady2 wrote:

Looking at Nexco's press release it seems like they are not separate bridges but instead they are built as a whole, so with one side of the bridge damaged to this extent, the other side might not function perfectly either.
NHK say the airport will check the condition/safety of the bridge tomorrow, and if they are okay then they will send passengers out by buses. Otherwise they will consider using ships.

TheKennady2

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Oh the ship was Anchored in the bay, not a good place during a typhoon

c933103

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:35 pm

Messages circulating on social network sites about KIX, to those who're now in the airport:
- Domestic depature gate area, hotel conference room, etc are now open.
- Emergency foods like dry bread and biscuits, water are now being distributed
- Unconfirmed information say that mobile phones can be recharged at Aeroplaza. Report also claims there are place to shower at Aeroplaza and that there the now opened conference room at Hotel Nikko is a good place to sleep at [with blankets being distributed there].
- Terminal 1 gate area seems to have better mobile phone signal reception

LAXdenizen

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Re: Damage to the bridge

It's going to be MONTHS if not a year+ to get that bridge fixed prior to the resumption of vehicular and train service.

FCOTSTW

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:49 pm

[quote="...some of my colleagues seem to think this will be a minor event...[/quote]

By having appreciated the sense of readiness and organization that the Japanese have, I am sure that they are ready to manage this event with the same attitude of any "ordinary" earthquake they commonly go through...

c933103

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:00 pm

According to NHK, they have find ship companies to start transporting people out of the airport from 6am today JST. They get three ships each with capacity of 110 passengers, and will run them at about 15-20 minutes interval. They are still going to check the bridge to see if it can be used to get people out by bus.

zakuivcustom

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:33 am

c933103 wrote:
According to NHK, they have find ship companies to start transporting people out of the airport from 6am today JST. They get three ships each with capacity of 110 passengers, and will run them at about 15-20 minutes interval. They are still going to check the bridge to see if it can be used to get people out by bus.

Following up.

The "rescue" for those stranded in KIX has began, with the "Bay Shuttle" (Usually run between KIX and UKB) running to get people off the island.

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASL951TG9L95UEHF001.html (Sorry Japanese only)

aemoreira1981

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:47 am

The three planes on the other side for ANA should be okay, but why didn't ANA evacuate those planes? I see it a while before the airfield is back to normal, and one has to account for the damage to the bridge to KIX.

asuflyer

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:50 am

Apparently the 3 ANA 767’s had their engines submerged in the standing water and it is not known what condition they are in.

jplatts

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:11 am

Would a 2nd bridge connecting the south side of KIX to Sennan ever get built? Constructing a 2nd bridge to KIX from Sennan would improve access to KIX in the event that the main bridge is damaged.

AEROFAN

Re: Typhoon Jebi heading to Japan, Any reported disruptions?

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:22 am

itisi wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Note: This is an aviation forum. Please try to keep discussion related to aviation. Of course storm strength and track are part of that.

We are talking about the effect the storm will have on aviation in Japan.... surely that's aviation related.

!

Go figure...
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

RobK

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:23 am

LAXdenizen wrote:
Re: Damage to the bridge

It's going to be MONTHS if not a year+ to get that bridge fixed prior to the resumption of vehicular and train service.

This is Japan, not America. It will be fixed and operational by next week. :yes:

frmrCapCadet

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:36 am

Japan has had some notable disaster unpreparedness and unacceptably slow recovery. It is simply silly to assert otherwise. They, like the US are awesome in some regards, less so in other.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

c933103

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:31 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Following up.

The "rescue" for those stranded in KIX has began, with the "Bay Shuttle" (Usually run between KIX and UKB) running to get people off the island.

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASL951TG9L95UEHF001.html (Sorry Japanese only)

They have also started using buses to send people out according to report

zakuivcustom

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:45 am

Just more KIX pics, taken 8am this morning Japan Time:

https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/photograph/ne ... OYT1I50030

Water is mostly gone. No detail report as to the extent of damages to equipments, though.

Francoflier

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:06 am

A lot of the equipment damage will depend on how much salt was in that water.
These storm create big waves and surges, so I'm guessing a lot of it came from the sea rather than the rain.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:09 am

My friend's flight is cancelled to KIX today. He is flying on China Eastern.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

piedmontf284000

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:29 am

Very tough times for KIX and the Osaka regional area. Wish them all the best in recovering asap.

With that said, I am starting to wonder if these "artificial island" airports like KIX, HKG, KKJ, NGO, and others is a recipe for disaster. While I understand the needs to put an airport out at sea due to land constraints, it is events like these that put such airports on the path to massive destruction. Granted these storms don't happen each year, but they definitively seem to be becoming more frequent and more severe.

bennett123

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:33 am

Are the ANA B767 ER or non ER.

The latter are 23-25 years old.

dampfnudel

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:54 am

piedmontf284000 wrote:
Very tough times for KIX and the Osaka regional area. Wish them all the best in recovering asap.

With that said, I am starting to wonder if these "artificial island" airports like KIX, HKG, KKJ, NGO, and others is a recipe for disaster. While I understand the needs to put an airport out at sea due to land constraints, it is events like these that put such airports on the path to massive destruction. Granted these storms don't happen each year, but they definitively seem to be becoming more frequent and more severe.

Well, this will definitely be a good test on the viability of these airports as well as the viability of building future artificial island airports in an increasingly threatening environment. A lot of people will be paying close attention to how long it takes for KIX to get back to full operations.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

ewt340

Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:36 am

Oh no, I'm going to Japan for important family matter in 2 weeks.

TC957

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:06 am

So only the 3 ANA aircraft were left at KIX when the storm struck ? Did Peach fly all their fleet out ?

blandy62

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:13 am

How about Kobe airport, it is very close to KIX and also on an artificial island. Did it get badly too?

c933103

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:27 am

TC957 wrote:
So only the 3 ANA aircraft were left at KIX when the storm struck ? Did Peach fly all their fleet out ?

Peach say their three aircrafts there are fine
blandy62 wrote:
How about Kobe airport, it is very close to KIX and also on an artificial island. Did it get badly too?

UKB is fine and have resumed operation

c933103

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:31 am

It seems like ANA have been asking Kansai when can KIX T1 back to operation but is having a hard time to extract information from the airport.

hongkongflyer

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:49 am

bennett123 wrote:

At lease one is JA626A, a 6.7 years old 767-300ER.
ANA don't have extensive domestic operation in KIX, so I bit the remaining two should be ER international birds as well.

c933103

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:56 am

dampfnudel wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:

Well, this will definitely be a good test on the viability of these airports as well as the viability of building future artificial island airports in an increasingly threatening environment. A lot of people will be paying close attention to how long it takes for KIX to get back to full operations.

More like, build your airport island properly so that the island's distance from sea surface won't reduce by 1/2 after 1/4 century, and pay attention to storm surge combined with other effects. The situation KIX experienced yesterday is pretty worse for the additional damages to the airport, but the storm itself is still not the strongest one despite enhanced by the high moving speed, the pressure of the cyclone is still relatively high that didn't actually draw that much water up with its strength stay above special warning level, the cyclone itself have been moving rather fast and thus the flood wasn't sustained for a long time, and the water level wasn't actually at highest tide either when the cyclone hit.

RickNRoll

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:03 am

Kansai probably don't know yet.

Olly2185

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:06 am

hongkongflyer wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

At lease one is JA626A, a 6.7 years old 767-300ER.
ANA don't have extensive domestic operation in KIX, so I bit the remaining two should be ER international birds as well.

Current aircraft at KIX according FR24

ANA 767s JA620A/JA622A/JA626A
Peach A320s JA802P/JA806P/JA808P

qf789

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:14 am

Thai Airways has cancelled flights to KIX through to next Tuesday 11th of September

https://twitter.com/ThaiAirways/status/ ... 7803719681
Forum Moderator

qf789

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:29 am

Air Asia X has cancelled flights for the next 24 hours, a couple of rescue flights have been operated via NGO

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/2018/ ... saka-japan
Forum Moderator

qf789

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:50 am

Forum Moderator

cesar666cu

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:03 pm

Isn’t the eastern runway at KIX more affected than the western runway and Kobe runway because the latest were built higher ?
All this in prevision of a possible sink of those runways in the future.

gatibosgru

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:14 pm

ewt340 wrote:
Oh no, I'm going to Japan for important family matter in 2 weeks.

I'm sure you'll be fine lol
@DadCelo

jumbojet

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:32 pm

qf789 wrote:
Air Asia X has cancelled flights for the next 24 hours, a couple of rescue flights have been operated via NGO

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/2018/ ... saka-japan

The UA SFO flight is cancelled the rest of the week and until further notice.

chiawei

Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:45 pm

China airlines, Eva Airways, and Tiger Air Taiwan has all cancelled KIX flights thru 9/11.

alberchico

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:31 pm

This was a pretty nasty storm:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-45417035
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

zakuivcustom

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:32 pm

Out of HKG, CX, UO, and HX all cancelled all flights to/from KIX until 9/9:
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US/ ... osure.html
https://www.hongkongairlines.com/en_US/ ... 0005562797
https://www.hkexpress.com/en-hk/your-tr ... el-notice/

In addition, HX will also upgauge their flights to OKJ (Okayama) and NRT to get the affected pax in/out of Osaka area.

c933103

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:38 pm

Osaka mayor have formally requested the national government to temporarily ease regulation against international flights from/to UKB and ITM until KIX recover.

raylee67

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:39 pm

CX has now cancelled all KIX flights up to the red-eye HKG > KIX on Sep 11. It seems to be in line with what Chinese and Taiwanese carriers are doing, so it's likely that KIX has notified the airlines 9/11 is the earliest possible day to re-open. Some newspapers in Hong Kong said internal news in CX is that KIX may be closed for a month!

Starting Sep 6, CX will also operate a special HKG-NGO-HKG flight, until KIX is re-opened. But that would not be nearly enough to cover, as KIX is served 4 to 6 daily depends on which day in the week.

I just checked randomly online and it seems that all HKG-NGO-HKG flights have no seats left from tomorrow to Sep 12. And HKG-HND/NRT is very tight as well during the period.

This is really bad for Japan. I would not be surprised if this actually knock 0.X% off Japan's GDP for this quarter.

This is a wake-up call for other similar airports on man-made islands (or semi-man-made-islands) such as NGO, ICN and HKG to look at their capabilities to withstand a combined high-tide and typhoon. It is reported that the water level of Osaka Bay rose by 3.29m at the height of the storm, overcoming the dike around the airport and many coastal areas.
Last edited by raylee67 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

Kikko19

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:41 pm

qf789 wrote:

did they run out of pumps?

raylee67

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:45 pm

Kikko19 wrote:
did they run out of pumps?

They were focusing on pumping all the flooded underground facilities and buildings. The apron is probably less of a concern.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos