MDGLongBeach
Topic Author

Why is Norwegian Air suffixed by “Shuttle”?

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi all,

Haven’t seen this answered yet. Why does Norwegian Air suffix themselves with “Shuttle”, does this have any purpose and do any other airlines in the world use the same suffix?

Thank you,

MDG

Zaf

Re: Why is Norwegian Air suffixed by “Shuttle”?

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:45 pm

Perhaps they shuttle people from strange places to feed real airports and real airlines? Or maybe they consider themselves so cheap you could shuttle to work and back every day?

Bostrom

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:50 pm

They started as regional airline flying regional routes in Western Norway, so it probably made sense at the time.

janders

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:55 pm

The companies name is Norwegian Air Shuttle (NAS)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Air_Shuttle
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

Cunard

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Their Wikipedia page explains the Airlines history and why the suffix ''shuttle'' is used.

To the OP why didn't you research it before opening a thread?

Zaf......Your reply is ridiculous :-)
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

drgmobile

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Just read the Wikipedia page. Not seeing an explanation of WHY the word "Shuttle" is used. Are we perhaps missing something Does perhaps it have with translation from Norwegian?

PatrickZ80

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:20 pm

Zaf wrote:
Or maybe they consider themselves so cheap you could shuttle to work and back every day?

That describes their situation today, but it hasn't always been like that. Before Norwegian was an LCC they were a regional airline, operating a fleet of Fokker F50s for SAS in Norway, basically what Wideroe is doing today. That airline was known as Norwegian Air Shuttle. That's where the name Shuttle originates.

At a certain moment Norwegian started selling their own tickets insteas of operating for SAS. That was basically the beginning of the Norwegian as we know it today.

aemoreira1981

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:31 pm

The original airline was Norwegian Air Shuttle, basically the former Busy Bee (key assets of Busy Bee after Busy Bee went bankupt started Norwegian about 5 weeks after Busy Bee closed). However, that is now but one of their four European AOCs. Norwegian basically became what it is today after the Braathens/SAS merger.

Lofty

Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:20 am

Not the only airline to use "Shuttle" BA domestic service all have "Shuttle" call signs.

BAeRJ100

Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:21 am

Lofty wrote:
Not the only airline to use "Shuttle" BA domestic service all have "Shuttle" call signs.

The discussion isn't about callsigns. It's about the name of the airline itself.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

rbavfan

Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:52 am

Still the Wiki does not say why Shuttle is in the name, Anywhere.

BTC

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:03 pm

rbavfan wrote:
Still the Wiki does not say why Shuttle is in the name, Anywhere.

And does it matter? Not really. It's fairly obvious what it means.

Feel free to edit the wiki for the obvious reasons though.
Flown in :- A319, A320, A321, A332, A359, BAC ATP, BAC-1-11, BAE146, B722, B732, B733, B734, B738, B744, B752, B762, B763, B772, B788, CS3, CRJ7, CRJ9, Dash 8, DC10, Dornier 328, E170, E190, HS 121 Trident, Shorts 360

[email protected]

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:11 pm

Probably because, as remains to this day, its core markets are high frequency services to/from Oslo. For example, BGO-OSL about 14 daily, TRD-OSL about 12 daily, and SVG about 11 daily (all rounded). Shuttle tends to denote high frequency operations.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Koosi

Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Is it really that hard to figure out if you look at the airline's history? As others have said, the airline originally flew short regional hops in Norway multiple times per day, i.e. operated an air shuttle in Norway, hence the name. So rather than "Norwegian Air suffixed by Shuttle" it's Air Shuttle prefixed by Norwegian.

An air shuttle is a scheduled airline service on short routes with a simplified fare and class structure. No exact definition exists, but frequency is usually hourly or more often and travel time is typically an hour or less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_shuttle

Trump Shuttle would be another example of the word shuttle used in an airline name. Other airlines use(d) it as a product name (e.g. Delta Shuttle, American Airlines Shuttle, Eastern Air Shuttle, US Airways Shuttle).

stlgph

Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:41 pm

Yes, it's hard to figure out. I mean, why research something? That's like ....so...library-like.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

chonetsao

Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:47 pm

yeah someone in the founding team had a brain fart and decide to add the name of Shuttle to Norwegian Air so that the Norwegian people won't be confused with this airline with the cruise ship company...Seriously? How about next questions: Why there is no American Airline Canada? why BA is called British Airways but not British Airlines? Why there is no English Airways? Why there is no Air Brazil or Brazair?...

JetBuddy

Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:59 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
The original airline was Norwegian Air Shuttle, basically the former Busy Bee (key assets of Busy Bee after Busy Bee went bankupt started Norwegian about 5 weeks after Busy Bee closed). However, that is now but one of their four European AOCs. Norwegian basically became what it is today after the Braathens/SAS merger.

Now, "Busy Bee" was a great airline name imho. I remember flying their Fokker F.27 between Oslo and Gothenburg back in the early 90s.

aemoreira1981

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:07 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Now, "Busy Bee" was a great airline name imho. I remember flying their Fokker F.27 between Oslo and Gothenburg back in the early 90s.

Given the ties between Norwegian and Busy Bee, there should be a Busy Bee retro on a 738 and a 789. In fact, the Norwegian (DY) AOC was originally issued to Busy Bee. To maintain it, certain personnel had to remain with the airline even after Busy Bee collapsed.

WPvsMW

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:41 pm

aemoreira1981, I love your posts. Always informative, with deep background. Busy Bee has me buzzing with awe.

Tristarsteve

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:46 pm

One of the Busy Bee B737-200 had a rear pax door that opened inwards, so it could be opened in flight!!
It was used as a trainer by the Norwegian Army parachutists, who jumped from the B737.
A one-off?

PatrickZ80

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:04 pm

Tristarsteve wrote:
One of the Busy Bee B737-200 had a rear pax door that opened inwards, so it could be opened in flight!!
It was used as a trainer by the Norwegian Army parachutists, who jumped from the B737.
A one-off?

That's the first time I've heard of that. I'm not saying it isn't true, it probably is, but it would require a lot of modifications. Not just to the door but to the entire pressurisation system. After all it's the pressurisation of the aircraft that keeps the door in place during the flight, this already starts a few feet above the ground.

A door that would open inwards would require something else to keep it in place. Also it could only be opened on low altitudes to prevent the pressurised air in the cabin being sucked out.

Mortyman

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Bostrom wrote:
They started as regional airline flying regional routes in Western Norway, so it probably made sense at the time.

Indeed

janders wrote:
The companies name is Norwegian Air Shuttle (NAS)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Air_Shuttle

The mother company is Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA ( ASA meaning public limited company in Norwegian )

PatrickZ80 wrote:
That's the first time I've heard of that. I'm not saying it isn't true, it probably is, but it would require a lot of modifications. Not just to the door but to the entire pressurisation system. After all it's the pressurisation of the aircraft that keeps the door in place during the flight, this already starts a few feet above the ground.A door that would open inwards would require something else to keep it in place. Also it could only be opened on low altitudes to prevent the pressurised air in the cabin being sucked out.

From 1980 the airline operated a single Boeing 737-2R4C. The aircraft was bought through a partnership with the Norwegian Armed Forces, in which it was specially equipped to meet military needs. Specifically, it was a combi variant, which encompassed a side loading door and the possibility to quickly rearrange the interior between all-passenger, all-freight, combined passenger and freight, as well as VIP configuration. The aircraft was designed to be able to operate out from gravel runways ( gravel kit ) and was also as the only 737 certified to be used for parachuting.

You can read about it here: https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive ... 01528.html

and here:

As you can see from this photo, the back door open outward and had airstairs included. I don't know how they did it, maybe the door could open multipal ways ? Fact is that this was a specially made aircraft from Boeing and apparently the only one of this kind

33lspotter

Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:56 pm

Cunard wrote:
Their Wikipedia page explains the Airlines history and why the suffix ''shuttle'' is used.

To the OP why didn't you research it before opening a thread?

There's writing where the meaning could be inferred, but it doesn't definitively say that it was given the name "Shuttle" because XYZ. Regardless, no need to be snarky.

Bostrom

Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:38 pm

Mortyman wrote:

As you can see from this photo, the back door open outward and had airstairs included. I don't know how they did it, maybe the door could open multipal ways ? Fact is that this was a specially made aircraft from Boeing and apparently the only one of this kind

In the article you inserted there is a mention of reducing power on the right engine, so the parachutists probably jumped from the other side.

WIederling

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:42 am

drgmobile wrote:
Just read the Wikipedia page. Not seeing an explanation of WHY the word "Shuttle" is used. Are we perhaps missing something Does perhaps it have with translation from Norwegian?

cite WP:EN:
"... It offers a high-frequency domestic flight schedule within Scandinavia and Finland,.."

Quite the hint for naming it "shuttle" isn't it?
Murphy is an optimist

LovePrunesAnet

Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:11 am

This thread..Part of what makes this site such an "interesting" forum. Some of these responses make me think of the movie titled "Grumpy Old Men."

My list of people to block posts from just grew by a few. For those who'd like to know how, click on the offending user and add them to your FOE list, then you won't see their snarky grumpy messages anymore

alan3

Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:46 am

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
This thread..Part of what makes this site such an "interesting" forum. Some of these responses make me think of the movie titled "Grumpy Old Men."

My list of people to block posts from just grew by a few. For those who'd like to know how, click on the offending user and add them to your FOE list, then you won't see their snarky grumpy messages anymore

Indeed. You've got to love people who, instead of ignoring or rolling their eyes at a post that doesn't interest them, actually take the time to write a snarky, sarcastic or rude response to it.

LovePrunesAnet

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:15 am

if the shoe fits, alan. my list is plus about 3 from here. actually make it +4
there are a great number of users who don't realize that convenient ignore feature exist, which is why i posted to the OP who was treated so rudely.
i came here to read the topic and was amazed at the bickering, but then i remembered where i was

WIederling

Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:16 am

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
if the shoe fits, alan. my list is plus about 3 from here. actually make it +4
there are a great number of users who don't realize that convenient ignore feature exist, which is why i posted to the OP who was treated so rudely.
i came here to read the topic and was amazed at the bickering, but then i remembered where i was

Ah, the wonderful filter bubble "flapper" tool.
Murphy is an optimist

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos