Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LOWS
Topic Author

OKC Discussion Thread - 2018

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:04 am

It seems like every other US airport has a "what's new" thread, so let's make one for OKC.

Some points to start:

1. 2017 had nearly four million passengers https://flyokc.com/2017-passenger-traffic-sets-all-time-record
2. When is construction expected to start on the new east gates? Who will occupy them?
3. Any chance of upguages or new service this year?

It makes me feel so old, thinking back to the old concourses with the 1980s mirror ceilings and DL/EV EMB120s to Atlanta and a UA 733 just down the hall, as I'd wait across the way for my WN 732 to MCI.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetmatt777

Re: What's new at OKC?

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:15 am

ViaAir begins 4x weekly to AUS in March
Frontier begins 4x weekly to SAN in April
American begins daily to PHX in April
American begins 2x daily to PHL in June

I believe the terminal and concourse expansion goes out to bid in April. Likely a 2 year construction. No idea on who will use the gates. I could see AA moving there to be closer to the main terminal and not out on he concourse. Just a hunch.

I'd like to see AS upgauge to mainline on SEA. Route has been running 80-90%+ since it had started nearly 3 years ago.

masonh2479

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:16 am

ViaAir is starting service to AUS March 1, originally supposed to start January 18th. I wonder what happened, I think it was 4x weekly and now is 3x weekly.

9w748capt

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:16 am

Haha, let's see if us OKCers can keep this thing going.

I bet F9 expands service and takes on Allegiant in the leisure markets.

Would love to see AA upgauge or expand OKC-ORD but that doesn't seem to be on the cards.

Go Thunder!

jplatts

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:09 am

WN could add a 2nd nonstop in each direction between OKC and MDW as it is unusual for WN to do only 1 daily nonstop in each direction from MDW to a market the size of OKC. In addition, there are destinations east of MDW that are not served nonstop from OKC, including IND, CVG, CMH, CLE, PIT, BOS, LGA, and DCA, and WN adding a 2nd nonstop in each direction between OKC and MDW would make it easier to connect to SWA destinations in the Eastern U.S. from OKC.

AWACSooner

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:50 am

I'm still waiting for OKC to actually launch some MCO and DCA n/s flights...DCA was promised before the Wright Amendment was lifted and never started...MCO was weekend only from time to time...and now F9 has moved in on that (with G4 service to SFB). A BNA option would be nice too...and OAK (to offer some competition to UA out of SFO on fares).

If the east concourse gets built, I bet it'll end up being a ULCC area, as they seem to be the only ones really jumping into OKC recently (other than AA).

TWA772LR

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:52 am

I connected on OKC once last year and wondered why WN doesn't fly OKC-Florida nonstop outside of seasonal MCO. A daily n/s to MCO TPA or FLL should be able to work.

Its a nice modern terminal though with a down-home feel. The oil wells on property were unique and added to the appeal.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

LOWS
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:10 am

Is the SkyWest maintenance base going to open this summer?

southwest1675

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:22 pm

Would like to see BNA-OKC
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

AusKlos

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:17 pm

LOWS wrote:
Is the SkyWest maintenance base going to open this summer?

The SkyWest facility is well under construction, I drove by on Tuesday and it looks like all of the support structure is up and they are starting to add the outer shell.

I could definitely see the ULCCs moving to the new East area and AA taking over the two(?) open use gates that G4 and F9 use. Does AS have a permanent gate now?

Ziyulu

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:18 pm

When will OKC see international flights?

OKCDCA

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:21 pm

9w748capt wrote:

Would love to see AA upgauge or expand OKC-ORD but that doesn't seem to be on the cards.

Go Thunder!

I'd really like to see OKC-ORD get upgauged as well. TUL is currently getting Envoy E75's and it would be nice to see the CR7's go away. Kind of the main reason I avoiding connecting through ORD when going back to OKC. I'll be interested to see if AA goes back to 4x daily to ORD and 3x to CLT during the summer or if the two new PHL flights will take their place. Either way, I'm really liking how AA is growing OKC.

AWACSooner wrote:
I'm still waiting for OKC to actually launch some MCO and DCA n/s flights...DCA was promised before the Wright Amendment was lifted and never started...MCO was weekend only from time to time...and now F9 has moved in on that (with G4 service to SFB). A BNA option would be nice too...and OAK (to offer some competition to UA out of SFO on fares).

If the east concourse gets built, I bet it'll end up being a ULCC area, as they seem to be the only ones really jumping into OKC recently (other than AA).

Would love to see a DCA flight as well. I'm not sure how LIT was able to get an E75 on AA before OKC but with most anything regarding DCA, I'm sure it was somehow political...

I'm really interested to see they went ahead with the second concourse... I'm not sure who they think is going to fill it unless they can convince the ULCC's to come in and really build up a base. Would be nice to see some international flights even if it is on Frontier or Allegiant. While I don't care for there business models, it's always nice to see air service grow. OKC as a whole has done a nice job growing, just need the state government to quit screwing around and get things back on track. It's tough living in DC now and looking in at all the problems (not like DC doesn't have its own...), but a part of me is glad to not be living there right now.

william

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

When Allegiant starts flying international.

jetmatt777

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:23 pm

Regarding ULCC:

1) G4 doesn't lease a gate, so they will likely stay put at Gate 1 and rent on a turn for turn basis just as they currently do.

2) I doubt F9 cares enough to move from Gate 12 to the newer section.

Alaska has always leased Gate 2 since they started. They never rented or borrowed.

jetmatt777

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:30 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Go Thunder!

I'd really like to see OKC-ORD get upgauged as well. TUL is currently getting Envoy E75's and it would be nice to see the CR7's go away. Kind of the main reason I avoiding connecting through ORD when going back to OKC. I'll be interested to see if AA goes back to 4x daily to ORD and 3x to CLT during the summer or if the two new PHL flights will take their place. Either way, I'm really liking how AA is growing OKC.

AWACSooner wrote:

Would love to see a DCA flight as well. I'm not sure how LIT was able to get an E75 on AA before OKC but with most anything regarding DCA, I'm sure it was somehow political...

I'm really interested to see they went ahead with the second concourse... I'm not sure who they think is going to fill it unless they can convince the ULCC's to come in and really build up a base. Would be nice to see some international flights even if it is on Frontier or Allegiant. While I don't care for there business models, it's always nice to see air service grow. OKC as a whole has done a nice job growing, just need the state government to quit screwing around and get things back on track. It's tough living in DC now and looking in at all the problems (not like DC doesn't have its own...), but a part of me is glad to not be living there right now.

For clarification, they are not proceeding with the full concourse buildout. It is a 4 gate extension mirroring the west to some effect. In the future, it can be expanded by 5 more gates. So really only a gain of 4 gates, with 1 being able to handle international arrivals with FIS facility.

The decision to proceed has been a long standing plan where the trigger was when the airport was down to 1 unleased gate, to automatically trigger the 4 gate expansion.

Midwestindy

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:33 pm

william wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

AC? to YYZ
ORD & IND

AA & DL

william

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:41 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
william wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

AC? to YYZ

My guess will be the Mexico and parts of the Caribbean. Places like Cancun/Cozumel are a given.

OKCDCA

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:22 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
william wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

AC? to YYZ

In terms of Canada, your best bets would probably be YCG or YEG for the oil market connections. I know some people who would prefer YCG for the access to skiing in Banff as well.

AWACSooner

Re: OKC Discussion Thread - 2018

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Well, having a FIS gate (or two) would be a great start for that addition...because we always get a crapton of diverts from DFW when the lightning starts striking within 500 miles of that airport.

LOWS
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:36 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
william wrote:

AC? to YYZ

In terms of Canada, your best bets would probably be YCG or YEG for the oil market connections. I know some people who would prefer YCG for the access to skiing in Banff as well.

I was meaning to ask if any of the fossil fuel companies have interests in Alberta or Saskatchewan. What about WestJet to YYC?

OKCDCA

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:08 pm

LOWS wrote:

I was meaning to ask if any of the fossil fuel companies have interests in Alberta or Saskatchewan. What about WestJet to YYC?

I meant to put YYC, got in a hurry and crossed up my codes. But yes, Devon Energy has their second HQ in Calgary and I'm sure there are probably some more connections.

SANFan

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:45 pm

I (and I'm sure Alaska Airlines does as well) hope that someday they will have more than one destination out of OKC. I'm quite sure they don't like having destination cities that see service to only SEA; and they have quite a few of those. LAX and SFO are prolly the most viable possibilities but I have no idea when, if ever, it could happen.

SAN might stand a remote chance but the traffic in the market is kind of iffy, around 60-70 PDEW -- right on the verge of being viable on the EMJ. (I don't think much about the sub-daily F9 service in the market as a deterrent since it probably won't last long.) I would love to see AAG fly between OKC and SAN but I'm not holding my breath.

bb

9w748capt

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:18 pm

LOWS wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

AC? to YYZ

Despite the oil connections, I can't imagine OKC-YYC has the numbers to justify such a route, especially with the behemoth DFW nearby. Flying to/from Canada is incredibly expensive in any case.

9w748capt

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:20 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
Well, having a FIS gate (or two) would be a great start for that addition...because we always get a crapton of diverts from DFW when the lightning starts striking within 500 miles of that airport.

It is a crazy sight seeing multiple 777s on the ground here - must be a shock to those from Tokyo lol.

I'm not sure a FIS gate changes anything though, as I'm sure AA's goal is to get any diversion here on it's way to DFW ASAP. Even if they let the passengers disembark and clear immigrations/customs here, AA would be faced with the nightmare of reaccomodating them.

32andBelow

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:09 pm

It seems like AS cycles MX planes through OKC pretty quickly. Every day there seems to be a different plane parked outside the MRO they use.

LOWS
Topic Author

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:58 pm

I don't know if there is any demand for a second IAD flight? I use the morning UA IAD flight a lot, but an early afternoon flight that's slightly better timed for European connections. The morning flight (I'm usually on it 2-3 times a month, both connection and O&D) always seems pretty full. Obviously no indication of yield etc.

SANFan

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:52 am

LOWS wrote:
I don't know if there is any demand for a second IAD flight? I use the morning UA IAD flight a lot, but an early afternoon flight that's slightly better timed for European connections. The morning flight (I'm usually on it 2-3 times a month, both connection and O&D) always seems pretty full. Obviously no indication of yield etc.

Since UA already serves the market, would they not have doubled up on the service if the traffic was there? I would expect 'yes' and that there isn't enough business in the city pair ...yet. I would bet they handle some fluctuations in the traffic with different sized aircraft on the single flight, which is lots cheaper than stating a second frequency.

Just my thoughts.

bb

Okcflyer

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:54 am

How many unique destinations are served from IAD that are not served from Chicago or Newark? I feel as if Chicago is better connecting City for international and domestic destinations ... at least 9 months of the year (winter is a bit scary from a planning perspective)

Sancho99504

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:09 am

SANFan wrote:
LOWS wrote:

Since UA already serves the market, would they not have doubled up on the service if the traffic was there? I would expect 'yes' and that there isn't enough business in the city pair ...yet. I would bet they handle some fluctuations in the traffic with different sized aircraft on the single flight, which is lots cheaper than stating a second frequency.

Just my thoughts.

bb

It took AA forever and then some to add additional OKC-LAX frequencies after they started and have floated between 2-3 flights daily since they added flights.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

b777erj145

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:04 am

jplatts wrote:
WN could add a 2nd nonstop in each direction between OKC and MDW as it is unusual for WN to do only 1 daily nonstop in each direction from MDW to a market the size of OKC. In addition, there are destinations east of MDW that are not served nonstop from OKC, including IND, CVG, CMH, CLE, PIT, BOS, LGA, and DCA, and WN adding a 2nd nonstop in each direction between OKC and MDW would make it easier to connect to SWA destinations in the Eastern U.S. from OKC.

Forget adding 2nd, WN doesn't even have a single non-stop flight to MDW anymore. They do have a direct, 1 stop no plane change, flight though.

9w748capt

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:06 am

LOWS wrote:

Good question - it'll be interesting to see how AA does on OKC-PHL given they're jumping right in with 2x/day. I wonder if it'll go down to daily after the summer.

I'm guessing any europe-bound traffic that UA carries is more than adequately served by ORD and IAH.

jetmatt777

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:01 pm

b777erj145 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Forget adding 2nd, WN doesn't even have a single non-stop flight to MDW anymore. They do have a direct, 1 stop no plane change, flight though.

It must have been a suspension due to the fleet abruptly shrinking with the 300's. Daily nonstop OKC-MDW resumes March 8.

jplatts

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:58 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
b777erj145 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

It must have been a suspension due to the fleet abruptly shrinking with the 300's. Daily nonstop OKC-MDW resumes March 8.

I agree that WN was suspending some flights during the aircraft shortage, but WN has already taken delivery of at least 55 planes since June 2017, including 27 737-800 planes, 15 used 737-700 planes, and 13 737 MAX 8 planes.

The O&D demand for MDW-OKC is greater in Q2 2017 than it was in 2015 or 2016, and there is an average of 141 passengers per day who travel solely between OKC and MDW on WN (even though this figure includes travel in both directions and travel between MDW-OKC on connecting flights).

OKC is the 2nd largest market in the U.S. with nonstop service from MDW that has only 1 daily nonstop in each direction to MDW on WN. The demand might be there for WN to add a 2nd OKC-MDW nonstop flight since there are travelers connecting to destinations further east from OKC through MDW.

LGA is one of the top destinations traveled to from OKC that does not have any nonstop service from OKC. There is enough demand for AA or DL to add nonstop service to LGA from OKC since there is an average of 128 passengers per day who travel between OKC and LGA. WN also has 6 daily nonstops between MDW and LGA, and adding a 2nd daily nonstop in each direction between OKC and MDW would also make it easier for travelers to connect to LGA from OKC through MDW on WN.

LOWS
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Sancho99504 wrote:
It took AA forever and then some to add additional OKC-LAX frequencies after they started and have floated between 2-3 flights daily since they added flights.

I'm guessing UA just wasn't getting what it needed from the OKC-LAX run? Or had a better use for that CR7/175?

LOWS
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:10 am

Also, from the ViaAir thread, it looks like they've pushed back their launch to Austin until April.

OKCDCA

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:42 pm

LOWS wrote:

I'm guessing UA just wasn't getting what it needed from the OKC-LAX run? Or had a better use for that CR7/175?

Is there a chance they were cannibalizing themselves with the SFO flight in terms of having redundant connections at both LAX and SFO and the SFO flight eventually won out?

LOWS wrote:
Also, from the ViaAir thread, it looks like they've pushed back their launch to Austin until April.

I'll be interested to see if this even gets off the ground at this rate.

Sancho99504

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:44 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
LOWS wrote:

Is there a chance they were cannibalizing themselves with the SFO flight in terms of having redundant connections at both LAX and SFO and the SFO flight eventually won out?

LOWS wrote:

I'll be interested to see if this even gets off the ground at this rate.

It's hard to tell what the reason is. OKC seems very temperamental compared to TUL, which isn't that far away and isn't much smaller. We will see what happens this summer when AA is running 1x OKC-PHX and 2x OKC-LAX, maybe PHX won't cannibalize LAX.

My guess is that LAX fair's better on LAX than UA because AS has been committed to the market for 15 years.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

LOWS
Topic Author

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:21 pm

Is OKC looking to attract WOW or maybe even Norwegian by adding an international gate? Or just G4 to Mexico?

http://www.news9.com/story/37532426/oklahoma-city-airport-prepares-for-international-flights

OKCDCA

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:23 pm

LOWS wrote:
Is OKC looking to attract WOW or maybe even Norwegian by adding an international gate? Or just G4 to Mexico?

http://www.news9.com/story/37532426/oklahoma-city-airport-prepares-for-international-flights

I'd imagine it would be G4 or F9 to Mexico. I doubt you'll ever see OKC-Europe non-stop, even at 1x weekly service...

Speaking of F9, I was really surprised to not see OKC gain anything with the recent new route additions. And regarding G4, what routes are they planning on operating this summer, I try to keep up with the weekly OAG changes but G4 is so erratic I can't keep up.

RJNUT

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:28 pm

in AUG WN drops to 3xdaily OKC-DAL. That is a surprise!

OKCDCA

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:49 pm

RJNUT wrote:

Not really, WN has been pretty neglectful of OKC over the last few years. MDW, MCI and ATL flights got cut, DCA was never started even though they seemed to elude that it would and really no new attempts at any new service, specifically FLL or BNA. But WN's track record of profitability speaks for itself so I'm sure if they thought there was opportunity they would do it.

b777erj145

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:44 am

OKCDCA wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

Not really, WN has been pretty neglectful of OKC over the last few years. MDW, MCI and ATL flights got cut, DCA was never started even though they seemed to elude that it would and really no new attempts at any new service, specifically FLL or BNA. But WN's track record of profitability speaks for itself so I'm sure if they thought there was opportunity they would do it.

Since Wright Amendment has been lifted WN will neglect OKC in regional market I believe. They will continue to expand DAL and to do that they will have to cut flights from somewhere because DAL cant expand

MrNuke

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:56 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
LOWS wrote:

I'd imagine it would be G4 or F9 to Mexico. I doubt you'll ever see OKC-Europe non-stop, even at 1x weekly service...

It will be interesting to see what happens. OMA had OMA-CUN lined up with NW in 2006 and CBP basically told the airport they wouldn't staff it even if a FIS facility was built. Similarly, LGB within the past couple of years had B6 wanting to fly to multiple destinations, but wasn't guaranteed CPB staffing either.

OKCDCA

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:50 pm

MrNuke wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:
LOWS wrote:

It will be interesting to see what happens. OMA had OMA-CUN lined up with NW in 2006 and CBP basically told the airport they wouldn't staff it even if a FIS facility was built. Similarly, LGB within the past couple of years had B6 wanting to fly to multiple destinations, but wasn't guaranteed CPB staffing either.

OKC already has a CBP office on-site on the north side of the airport. Now I'm not sure what kind of capabilities that office has nor if anybody in there could do clearance related duties but the presence of an office might help the cause.

[email protected]

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:09 pm

SANFan wrote:
SAN might stand a remote chance but the traffic in the market is kind of iffy, around 60-70 PDEW -- right on the verge of being viable on the EMJ.

Don't forget traffic will be stimulated by a non-stop service and of course even more so depending on whether the fares are lower than 1-stop options.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

LOWS
Topic Author

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:48 pm

Is Delta doing CR9 and 752 maintenance in OKC now? I've noticed a couple random ones, eg. BDL and unscheduled CR9s from MSP.

DDR

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:07 am

Slightly OT, but why does OKC have so much more service than TUL?

Seat1K

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:03 am

I always try to make a quick afternoon side trip to a secondary US airport when in the US on business. Managed BUF/SAV/MCI/CLE/PIT/SAN/RDU/BNA/AUS/TOL/LGB. This time I thought OKC and a ride on the MD-80 with AA. Some great fares for a lunchtime departure/back late afternoon. Settled into my seat 7A for the hour ride to OKC. Late arrival delay/fuelling delay/ramp evacuation due thunderstorm meant I would arrive after my return departed. Then my return posted a delay, but I offloaded myself. Took the shuttle back to the hotel and saw both flights cancelled.
Some other time OKC - sadly as I was looking forward to the ride and the visit.
Good luck

jetmatt777

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:29 pm

DDR wrote:

OKC is quite simply a much larger city than Tulsa. Tulsa's latest metro population (MSA) estimate is 961,000 while Oklahoma City metro (MSA) is 1.37 million. That's a difference of 412,000 people. Oklahoma City metro population is also growing nearly at 10% while Tulsa is growing at 5%.

More people and more jobs, just more people traveling.

DDR

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:14 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
DDR wrote:

OKC is quite simply a much larger city than Tulsa. Tulsa's latest metro population (MSA) estimate is 961,000 while Oklahoma City metro (MSA) is 1.37 million. That's a difference of 412,000 people. Oklahoma City metro population is also growing nearly at 10% while Tulsa is growing at 5%.

More people and more jobs, just more people traveling.

Thanks much for the answer. I always wondered what the difference was between the two cities. Makes sense with such a larger population that OKC would have more air service.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos