c933103
Topic Author

Typhoon Mangkhut impact on aviation

Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Typhoon Mangkhut is expected to hit area near Hong Kong at around Sunday or Monday with Super Typhoon intensity according to local intensity scale. Although there are still many days before the storm will actually come and thus forecast are still less than certain with only about 50% or so chance that this would actually be a direct hit, airlines like CX and HX have already started urging passengers to change their travel dates ahead of time and let passengers do so for free.

Last year when Typhoon Hato (which was weaker than this one) hit the area, the Zhuhai airport was flooded and Macau airport was also rendered inoperative for some times due to situation in the city there. Let's see will this typhoon be more destructive than that.

itisi

Re: Typhoon Mangkhut impact on aviation

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:13 am

As normal all focus on the storm near the US.... but yes this is a very stron and very large storm. Maximum gusts of 180kts.

Let's see what happens in the coming days. Right now it's due to pass just south of Hong Kong but I expect serious delays in southern Taiwan, Philippines and southern China.
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)

zakuivcustom

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:17 am

If the typhoon continue on its predict path, then yes, HKG will probably be shut down over the weekend, but not much longer.

Now, I don't know whether Macau learned their lessons from Hato (Seriously, talk about being totally unprepared, it's not about the storm surge damages b/c Hong Kong had some of those as well in low lying areas during Hato, but rather, the gov't literally have absolutely no clue what to do afterward, had to let PLA come in to clean things up, while their only solution is to hand out more money as usual).

P.S. I'm somewhat surprised at the lack of coverage 2-3 days ago even though the Typhoon, if its path was just slightly south, would literally wiped out Guam quicker than a North Korean nuke. Guam was spared the worst damage, though.

jrfspa320

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:34 am

I am due to fly to HK this weekend on QF, and dont really want to go now.....they dont have a change waiver on at the moment (CX does), hoping this will change today at some point...

Francoflier

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:12 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
Now, I don't know whether Macau learned their lessons from Hato (Seriously, talk about being totally unprepared, it's not about the storm surge damages b/c Hong Kong had some of those as well in low lying areas during Hato, but rather, the gov't literally have absolutely no clue what to do afterward, had to let PLA come in to clean things up, while their only solution is to hand out more money as usual).

I don't know about Macau's preparedness for Hato (or lack thereof), but Hato hit just south of the delta region.
HKG is well protected in these cases, being just north of the high hills on Lantau. MFM, on the other hand, was right on the line of fire with nothing to protect it from the destructive winds, waves and storm surge. It does not surprise me that it got a lot more damage than HKG.

Looking at Mangkhut's forecast track, it seems like this might be a repeat of Hato, but stronger...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

c933103
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:27 am

Francoflier wrote:
I don't know about Macau's preparedness for Hato (or lack thereof), but Hato hit just south of the delta region.
HKG is well protected in these cases, being just north of the high hills on Lantau. MFM, on the other hand, was right on the line of fire with nothing to protect it from the destructive winds, waves and storm surge. It does not surprise me that it got a lot more damage than HKG.

Looking at Mangkhut's forecast track, it seems like this might be a repeat of Hato, but stronger...

The post was more about the city instead of specifically the airport, IIRC MFM reopened on the next day or second next?
Indeed Macau was given an almost direct hit by Hato which make the situation much worse, however my understanding is that there're a lot more that can be done than telling people go to work as usual in the morning just hours before the typhoon come and tell people that it won't come the day before. On the side of recovery, a lot of things also happened due to lack of plan on what to do.

Francoflier

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:38 am

You're probably right, and I don't know much about Macau's preparedness and contigency plans for typhoons.
HK is quite proactive in closing up shop and battening down for them so I would have expected Macau to do something similar, but apparently not...

I do remember that picture of an E-jet (lineage?) Being blown against the railing in MFM... It wasn't pretty.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

hz747300

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:23 am

Interesting, due to fly to Singapore on Wednesday--should be ok. The last big storm knocked out a lot of the windows of the skyscrapers and apartments across Hong Kong.
Keep on truckin'...

itisi

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:31 am

hz747300 wrote:
Interesting, due to fly to Singapore on Wednesday--should be ok. The last big storm knocked out a lot of the windows of the skyscrapers and apartments across Hong Kong.

Nope... Macau had a few buildings that had windows blown out but not across the city. For Hong Kong, no... in the 30 or so years I can remember it's only happened to a few buildings.

zakuivcustom

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:15 pm

itisi wrote:
hz747300 wrote:

Nope... Macau had a few buildings that had windows blown out but not across the city. For Hong Kong, no... in the 30 or so years I can remember it's only happened to a few buildings.

A few skyscrapers (Hang Seng HQ and Central Plaza) had some of their windows knocked out during Hato. Then there is that window washing lift that damaged walls and windows in an apartment building. But yes, Damages were isolated and scattered overall.

Francoflier wrote:
You're probably right, and I don't know much about Macau's preparedness and contigency plans for typhoons.
HK is quite proactive in closing up shop and battening down for them so I would have expected Macau to do something similar, but apparently not...

I do remember that picture of an E-jet (lineage?) Being blown against the railing in MFM... It wasn't pretty.

HK Observatory had definite been a lot more proactive in recent years, and gave out warnings with plenty of time to make sure people shut down the city orderly.

And indeed I was talking about the aftermath response. Yes, natural diasasters happen, but then what? You send in resources to clean up and rebuild afterward. Nope, the govt was literally scrambling, pointing fingers.

Speaking of Macau, though, I just read on HK news that people are buying up all the water and emergency food supplies literally right now, so your ordinary Macanese definitely learned their lesson from Hato.

Otherwise, CX, HX, and UO are pretty much prepare to suspend all flights on 16th and 17th. Even if Mengkhut doesn't hit HK head-on, the storm is definitely large enough to create unsafe wind condition (although I am again prepared to read on the news on all these people that complain about how their flight is cancelled and ruin THEIR vacation and whatever). Well, I guess they can always fly KLM (they landed during the middle of Hato).

hz747300

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:27 am

itisi wrote:
hz747300 wrote:

I have video of the Hang Seng windows being blown out, and the in my own neighborhood, Tung Chung, windows were blown out of the apartment buildings here, especially the newer complexes. My sentence did not mean to have much hyperbole but based on fact.

There was one about eight years ago which did way more damage as I recall when I lived in DB which crush bus stops and blew a tree into the plaza mall.
Keep on truckin'...

zeke

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:54 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
If the typhoon continue on its predict path, then yes, HKG will probably be shut down over the weekend, but not much longer.

The airport will not shutdown, I do expect CX and KA to stop flights on Sunday at some stage. Passengers should check the CX-KA website for updates.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Francoflier

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:56 am

Fortunately for HK and Macao, it looks like it will not be a direct hit after all as it will pass about 150-200 km south of the Delta. It will still be quite a strong one however, and Will be closer to Macao than HK.

Not so fortunate for the Philippines as it will clip the Northern end of Luzon as a Cat 5 (stronger than Florence)...

zakuivcustom

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:00 am

zeke wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

The airport will not shutdown, I do expect CX and KA to stop flights on Sunday at some stage. Passengers should check the CX-KA website for updates.

Should have said expect all flights to be cancelled. Of course, if KLM decided to land a plane in the middle of a typhoon again, nobody will stop them.

Francoflier wrote:
Fortunately for HK and Macao, it looks like it will not be a direct hit after all as it will pass about 150-200 km south of the Delta. It will still be quite a strong one however, and Will be closer to Macao than HK.

Not so fortunate for the Philippines as it will clip the Northern end of Luzon as a Cat 5 (stronger than Florence)...

The outer band would still probably bring tons of rains to HK, although if it go that far west (to Leizhou Peninsula), storm surge/flooding should be minimal. The typhoon would also weaken by the time it passed Luzon anyway. On the other hand, northern Luzon is going to get slammed, literally.

zeke

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:57 am

zakuivcustom wrote:

Should have said expect all flights to be cancelled. Of course, if KLM decided to land a plane in the middle of a typhoon again, nobody will stop them.

No do not expect all flights to be cancelled, just operations suspension.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

zeke

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:06 am

Looks like the super typhoon will hit HKG earlier than expected. Passengers should seek updates from their airlines, CX and KA passengers can get updates from the Cathay Pacific.com

zakuivcustom

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:19 pm

Meanwhile, according to my relative (and verified myself on CX's website), CX has stopped all new reservations for flights from Sunday afternoon to Wednesday. Right now if you search for flights to/from HKG on those day on CX's website, it'll just say "Not available". For flights out of US that means any flights departing tomorrow would not be available for booking (for now).

itisi

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:50 pm

HX seem to have cancelled most flights and UO show as delayed to the 17th. AI, VS, UB, LQ, AY, LH, OS, SQ, AC, EY, LY, 9C, QF already showing as cancelled.

zakuivcustom

Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:08 am

All UA flights to/from HKG departing tomorrow from US are also cancelled (Not surprising, since those flights will arrived Sunday evening Hong Kong time, exactly the time which the typhoon is supposed to affect HKG the most).

Seems like CX also cancelled most flights departing/arriving in HKG on Sunday (16th) also (Except those leaving around 1am on Sunday, that is).

sennabestever

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:05 am

Will CX try to re-route passengers that are only transiting through Hong Kong to other One World airlines to their final destinations? Just curious how they will clear this big of a backlog without routing the transiting pax away from Hong Kong on other airlines?

qf789

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:23 am

CX is cancelling more than 240 flights, all flights between 2am Sunday and 4am Monday are cancelled

Cathay Dragon cancelling all flights Sunday and some flights on Monday as well

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/cat ... pproaches/

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US/ ... tions.html
Forum Moderator

qf789

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:32 am

Virgin Australia has cancelled both MEL-HKG and SYD-HKG for Sunday,

Monday's MEL-HKG (usual departure from MEL at 0030) is delayed to 930

https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/b ... el-alerts/

Qantas has cancelled today's Qf117/118 SYD-HKG

All Qantas flights to HKG on Sunday are cancelled

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-inf ... g-kong-sar
Forum Moderator

FSflyer899

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:40 am

Do CX/HX fly their aircrafts out of HKG and stay out through the storm, or just hope for the best that no damage is going to be done to the planes? Unlike the US, the carriers have other hubs they can fly their planes to. But for a city like Hong Kong or Singapore, there're no other places to go.

Devilfish

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:03 am

Planes are hunkered down in MNL unable to fly. Inbound flights were diverted to CEB including PR105 (77W) from SFO. Below are photos of damaged TUG air terminal in northern Luzon.....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnGOHaUU4AUZAg0.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnGOHaUU8AAxbqQ.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnGOHaWVAAAeqYj.jpg

https://scontent.fmnl7-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5C3B47CB

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... phoon.html

Guess the lightly used airport in Lallo (if it did not sustain much damage itself) will now get more flights until TUG is repaired. More images should be emerging when the weather calms down a bit.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

zakuivcustom

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Devilfish wrote:
Planes are hunkered down in MNL unable to fly. Inbound flights were diverted to CEB including PR105 (77W) from SFO. Below are photos of damaged TUG air terminal in northern Luzon.....

Wow...that's definitely some strong wind. They did took the blunt of the typhoon, though.

I guess Laoag airport is not damaged either? Haven't see any damage report there.

FSflyer899 wrote:
Do CX/HX fly their aircrafts out of HKG and stay out through the storm, or just hope for the best that no damage is going to be done to the planes? Unlike the US, the carriers have other hubs they can fly their planes to. But for a city like Hong Kong or Singapore, there're no other places to go.

Not that I'm aware of. And AFAIK the most likely damages are not the wind blowing into the planes, but some ground vehicles/jetways getting blown onto the plane anyway. I would say to certain extent that HKG is better prep for storm surge than KIX.

patrickw421

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:47 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. And AFAIK the most likely damages are not the wind blowing into the planes, but some ground vehicles/jetways getting blown onto the plane anyway. I would say to certain extent that HKG is better prep for storm surge than KIX.

I think at least HX is doing it, there are a few extra HX3xxx flight in the air such as B-LGB (A350), B-LND/B-LNG (A332), B-LPL/B-LPK (A320). Also so that they can carry extra pax back to Hong Kong once the typhoon is gone. There are still a few hours before the typhoon is really hitting HKG so there might be more to come.

zakuivcustom

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:39 pm

patrickw421 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

I think at least HX is doing it, there are a few extra HX3xxx flight in the air such as B-LGB (A350), B-LND/B-LNG (A332), B-LPL/B-LPK (A320). Also so that they can carry extra pax back to Hong Kong once the typhoon is gone. There are still a few hours before the typhoon is really hitting HKG so there might be more to come.

Only one I found for CX so far is this:
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/b-laf

But it could have just also be a flight for maintenance (CX having a maintenance base at XMN).

Right now if FR24 is correct, CX still have the following plane in HKG:
77W: B-KPI, B-KPR
333: B-LAM
359: B-LRM, B-LRS
773: B-HNF, B-HNG, B-HNH, B-HNK, B-HNM, B-HNN, B-HNP

P.S. Just on a side note, I almost forgot that today (15th) is the first flight for CX's HKG-IAD.

SKAirbus

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I am visiting Hong Kong at the moment and we have just been issued with a Storm Signal 8 out of 10. There is some talk of it being raised to 10 when the typhoon is closest to the territory at around midday local time.

As of 02:30 HKT all Cathay Pacific flights are suspended and will not resume until 04:00 HKT on the 17th at the earliest. Other airlines have taken similar precautions.

In addition, it appears the airport has drafted in extra staff to help keep restaurants and shops open longer and blankets, water and biscuits will be provided to stranded passengers.

I'm staying at a hotel facing the Victoria Harbour and everything is being boarded up. We are being looked after though and I likely won't be able to venture outside the hotel until Monday morning. Just hoping the storm surge won't flood the area I am in.

Not sure what possessed me go ahead with my holiday - but abandoning it would have cost me a lot more than just the flights! It's quite the adventure.

I am also very impressed by how people and authorities in Hong Kong don't panic - earlier today there was definitely a sense of urgency to get home and make storm preparations but no hysteria. All very orderly. Some certain countries hit by smaller storms could learn a thing or two!
Base: BRU

Gonzalo

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:10 pm

SKAirbus wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am visiting Hong Kong at the moment and we have just been issued with a Storm Signal 8 out of 10. There is some talk of it being raised to 10 when the typhoon is closest to the territory at around midday local time.

As of 02:30 HKT all Cathay Pacific flights are suspended and will not resume until 04:00 HKT on the 17th at the earliest. Other airlines have taken similar precautions.

In addition, it appears the airport has drafted in extra staff to help keep restaurants and shops open longer and blankets, water and biscuits will be provided to stranded passengers.

I'm staying at a hotel facing the Victoria Harbour and everything is being boarded up. We are being looked after though and I likely won't be able to venture outside the hotel until Monday morning. Just hoping the storm surge won't flood the area I am in.

Not sure what possessed me go ahead with my holiday - but abandoning it would have cost me a lot more than just the flights! It's quite the adventure.

I am also very impressed by how people and authorities in Hong Kong don't panic - earlier today there was definitely a sense of urgency to get home and make storm preparations but no hysteria. All very orderly. Some certain countries hit by smaller storms could learn a thing or two!

Did CX evacuated all of its planes from Hong Kong?
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

sennabestever

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:03 pm

I'm not overly familiar with the CX network but from looking at flightradar24 and filtering only CX metal- it makes you wonder if some of their birds are flying empty ATM to reposition them for after the storm? There are 4 777's headed to Heathrow all within about 90 minutes of each other (perhaps normal, I don't know?). MEL and SYD seem to be getting more CX than normal as well? I believe there will be three CX birds on the ground at MEL all at once here in a couple of hours? Similar for SYD as well. Something different for the spotters there if they have them all parked together?

zakuivcustom

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:26 pm

sennabestever wrote:
I'm not overly familiar with the CX network but from looking at flightradar24 and filtering only CX metal- it makes you wonder if some of their birds are flying empty ATM to reposition them for after the storm? There are 4 777's headed to Heathrow all within about 90 minutes of each other (perhaps normal, I don't know?). MEL and SYD seem to be getting more CX than normal as well? I believe there will be three CX birds on the ground at MEL all at once here in a couple of hours? Similar for SYD as well. Something different for the spotters there if they have them all parked together?

For London - it's completely normal. CX251 departs at 2355, CX237 on 0015 (Sun/Mon only), CX255 on 0025, along with CX343 departing at 0055 heading to LGW.

Not sure what you meant by MEL and SYD either. CX operate 3 daily flights to MEL and 4 daily to SYD. They cancelled all the return flight, though, so those planes would be just sitting in MEL or SYD, probably until Monday morning Australia time.

SKAirbus wrote:

The hysteria is actually already higher this time as the typhoon is definitely a monster (Maybe b/c now that Li Ka-shing retired, Li's Field is no longer in action? :scratchchin: ). Either way, typhoon hit Sunday, it's back in business on Monday, that's Hong Kong for you.

c933103
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:30 pm

It seems like UO (A Hong Kong LCC) did flown most of their aircrafts away from HKG

c933103
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:47 pm

Interesting it seems like SQ001 still arrived & departed as normal at HKG this morning

zakuivcustom

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:58 pm

c933103 wrote:
It seems like UO (A Hong Kong LCC) did flown most of their aircrafts away from HKG

I just checked FR24. HX has zero planes left in HKG (ICN seems to be the most popular place for HX to "park" their planes).

UO actually only have to fly one plane away from HKG (B-LCE, to KHH). The rest were all already at outstations, with HKExpress simply cancelling all the evening return flights on 15th.

Additionally, NX (Air Macau) also flew all their planes away. DAD seems to be their "evacuation" airport of choice.

blandy62

Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:56 am

quote="c933103"]Interesting it seems like SQ001 still arrived & departed as normal at HKG this morning[/quote]

yes say her departing this morning from my house. I heard 1 or 2 other departing before that. Typically doesn't make the stop unless it is really impossible. I seem to recall they also tried to stop during typhoon Hito but eventually diverted. May be someone can correct me if I am wrong

zeke

Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:20 am

c933103 wrote:
Interesting it seems like SQ001 still arrived & departed as normal at HKG this morning

T9 was hoisted at 7:40, they departed at 7:42. The outgoing pax would be ok, inbound pax probably stuck at the airport and above ground transport shuts down.

Wind at the moment is not too bad.

VHHH ARR ATIS F
0035Z HONG KONG ARRIVAL
INFORMATION F AT TIME 0035
ARRIVAL RUNWAY 07L
SIG WS AND MOD TURB FCST
RWY SFC WET
WIND 030 DEG 25 KT MAX 35 KT
VISIBILITY 4000 METRES RAIN
CLOUD FEW 1500 FT SCT 4000 FT
TEMPERATURE 25 DEWPOINT 23
QNH 990 HPA
TEMPO 1500 METRES HVY SHOWER
ACKNOWLEDGE INFORMATION
F ON FIRST CONTACT WITH
APPROACH

Bradin

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:01 am

As of two minutes ago, the Hong Kong Observatory has issued a Hurricane Signal, No. 10.

https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status ... 3788414977

https://www.hko.gov.hk/detail.htm

Hurricane Signal, No. 10
Tropical Cyclone Warning Bulletin

Here is the latest Tropical Cyclone Warning Bulletin issued by the Hong Kong Observatory.

The Hurricane Signal, No. 10, was issued at 9:40 a.m.

This means that winds with mean speeds of 118 kilometres per hour or more are expected.

At 10 a.m., Severe Typhoon Mangkhut was centred about 150 kilometres south-southeast of Hong Kong (near 21.0 degrees north 114.5 degrees east) and is forecast to move west-northwest at about 30 kilometres per hour towards the coast of western Guangdong.

Mangkhut continues to move steadily towards the coast of western Guangdong, edging further closer to Hong Kong with a high threat. According to the present forecast track, Mangkhut will be closest to the Pearl River Delta around noontime today, skirting about 100 kilometres to the south of Hong Kong. The Hurricane Signal, No. 10 will remain in force for a few hours.

The circulation of Mangkhut is extensive and winds are fierce. Mangkhut's intense rainbands are affecting Hong Kong, bringing frequent squalls and heavy rain. Sea will be phenomenal with swells. Local winds will change gradually from northeasterlies to easterlies. Areas which were previously sheltered may become exposed. Members of the public should stay on high alert.

Under the influence of storm surge, a high water level of about 3.5 metres or more above chart datum is expected at the Victoria Harbour between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m today; and a high water level of about 4.0 metres or more above chart datum is expected at Tai O between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. today. The high water level may cause severe flooding in low-lying areas.

The Observatory makes a special appeal to the members of the public to stay away from the shoreline, and not to engage in water sports.

In the past hour, the maximum sustained winds recorded at Waglan Island, Tate's Cairn and Cheung Chau were 140, 139 and 91 kilometres per hour with maximum gusts 170, 194 and 135 kilometres per hour respectively.

(Precautionary Announcements)

1. Do not go outside. If you are reasonably protected, stay where you are. Do not touch electric cables that have been blown loose.

2. Stay away from exposed windows and doors because glass, already under strain from wind pressure, will shatter easily if hit by a flying object. Make sure you have a safe place to shelter. You should only fix broken windows and doors when there is no danger in doing so.

3. People outdoors should find a safe place now and remain there until the danger is over.

4. Flights at Hong Kong International Airport may be affected by the weather. Please contact your airline for the latest flight information before departing for the airport.

Dispatched by Hong Kong Observatory at 09:45 HKT on 16.09.2018

zeke

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:05 am

Still not too bad at the airport

SKAirbus

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:14 am

zeke wrote:
Still not too bad at the airport

I’m at TST and the winds are absolutely horrific here. Just saw a tree fall into the highway. Luckily other than rogue taxi drivers, the roads are empty.

HKG is closed with all flights shown as cancelled with one or two as indefinitely delayed.

It’s going to be an intense 12 hours. Pray to Cher it won’t cause too much damage.

zeke

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:21 am

The wind is picking up, not that bad still

VHHH ARR ATIS L
0209Z HONG KONG ARRIVAL
INFORMATION L AT TIME 0209
ARRIVAL RUNWAY 07L
SIG WS AND MOD TURB FCST
RWY SFC WET
WIND 030 DEG 40 KT MAX 45 KT
VISIBILITY 1800 METRES
IN HVY RAIN
CLOUD FEW 1200 FT SCT 2500 FT
TEMPERATURE 25 DEWPOINT 24
QNH 985 HPA
ACKNOWLEDGE INFORMATION
L ON FIRST CONTACT WITH
APPROACH

zakuivcustom

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:45 am

SKAirbus wrote:
I’m at TST and the winds are absolutely horrific here. Just saw a tree fall into the highway. Luckily other than rogue taxi drivers, the roads are empty.

You mean taxi drivers that are standing by to charge people 5x the normal price :lol: :lol:

zeke wrote:
The wind is picking up, not that bad still

Isn't it suppose to be the worst from noon on? Looking at HKO data the storm surge wouldn't hit until 2pm-ish anyway.

P.S. Looking at FR24, I haven't seen (at least the northern part of) South China Sea being this empty (of planes) for a long time.

Bradin

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:05 am

Hong Kong Observatory has issued a Red Rainstorm Warning Signal
https://www.hko.gov.hk/textonly/warning/ec.htm

Red Rainstorm Warning Signal Special Announcement issued by the Hong Kong Observatory at 10:55 a.m.

The Rainstorm Warning Signal is now Red. This means that heavy rain has fallen or is expected to fall generally over Hong Kong, exceeding 50 millimetres in an hour, and is likely to continue.

Further heavy rain could cause, if not already caused, serious road flooding and traffic congestion and could disrupt normal school hours. Parents, students, school authorities and school-bus drivers should listen to radio or television announcements on schools. People who have to travel should carefully consider the weather and road conditions and take necessary precautions.

Heavy rain will bring flash floods, and flooding is occurring or is expected to occur in watercourses. People should stay away from watercourses. Residents living in close proximity to rivers should stay alert to weather conditions and should consider evacuation if their homes may become flooded.

Please listen to radio or watch television for traffic conditions and further announcements on the rainstorm.

Dispatched by Hong Kong Observatory at 10:55 HKT on 16.09.2018

zeke

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:19 am

Wind has really started to pickup in the last 30 minutes at the airport

zakuivcustom

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:46 am

The wind looks insane from the videos I've seen. And this is with the Typhoon not even directly hitting HK.

So far tons of down tree and tons of damaged windows reported. And this is just the beginning.

itisi

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:58 am

It's very very bad, the worst I've seen in my 30+ years here. Crazy winds and rain.

It's not even reaches the closet point yet!!!

As for SQ... they have shown numerous times that they don't follow the "rules" and do things their own way.......

SKAirbus

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:21 am

itisi wrote:
It's very very bad, the worst I've seen in my 30+ years here. Crazy winds and rain.

As for SQ... they have shown numerous times that they don't follow the "rules" and do things their own way.......

Yes - it's actually very frightening. My hotel faces Victoria Harbour and while I have a great view of the "action", I am worried the window could be damaged. The lights are also flickering on and off. Hopefully there won't be a power cut.

I have posted a few videos on Twitter if you want to look: @simonstorvik

zakuivcustom

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:35 am

SKAirbus wrote:
itisi wrote:

Yes - it's actually very frightening. My hotel faces Victoria Harbour and while I have a great view of the "action", I am worried the window could be damaged. The lights are also flickering on and off. Hopefully there won't be a power cut.

At least you're not at Harbour Grand Kowloon (in Hung Hom), where multiple windows were blown out:
https://hk.news.appledaily.com/breaking ... 6/58687997 (Chinese only...but the pictures are worth 1000 words)

RobK

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:36 am

SKAirbus wrote:

I was expecting armageddon but looks like a normal wet and windy day in HKG to me.

Edit : https://hk.news.appledaily.com/breaking ... 6/58687997

That's a bit more serious. :shock:

zakuivcustom

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:14 am

From Intercontinental HK, also pretty close to where SKAirbus is staying in (You are in Kowloon Shangri-la, correct?)

https://www.facebook.com/badguysonly/vi ... 993931217/

That's almost like tornado rather than a normal typhoon.

zeke

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:23 am

That’s a typhoon

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos