User avatar
EGTESkyGod
Topic Author
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Ryanair Launch Flights From Exeter

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:52 pm

Saw this last night before bed and came on this morning to see what discussion there has been, and can't find one! So here is the link:

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... es-1990195

Ryanair have moved into Flybe territory and announced flights from Exeter to Malaga, Malta and Naples.

I think this is great news for Exeter Airport and its desire for expansion. Easyjet are up the road in Bristol and Flybe had a bit of a monopoly at Exeter until now so some competition is great. Quite what this will mean long term I'm not sure. Discuss...
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait
 
LAXLHR
Posts: 448
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 am

Re: Ryanair Launch Flights From Exeter

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:16 am

Of course you cannot find one, its Exeter ;-) :-D

Good luck to them!
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10571
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: Ryanair Launch Flights From Exeter

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:13 am

It will be interesting to see what happens with BE's now competing service to Malaga. They have this market well cornered and operate throughout the winter, catering to the second home owners and expat market.

Good luck to them.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Ryanair Launch Flights From Exeter

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:32 am

Finally! Good for Exeter & Devon. I have wished for some expansion from my beloved Devon for so many years....
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5418
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Ryanair Launch Flights From Exeter

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:47 am

LAXLHR wrote:
Of course you cannot find one, its Exeter ;-) :-D

Good luck to them!


Will EXT be able to handle all that traffic without the 6 new planned runways?
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10571
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: Ryanair Launch Flights From Exeter

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:50 am

Also, interesting to note is that Naples was previously flown in from EXT in 2016, and that Air Malta had operated into EXT for years, again only ceasing in 2016.

Additionally FR serve both AGP and MLA from BRS, and have looked at serving AGP from NQY, meaning they'll have detailed catchment data to analyse. NAP is served by TOM and EZY from BRS, from which there will be similar, if less granular, data.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
User avatar
EGTESkyGod
Topic Author
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Re: Ryanair Launch Flights From Exeter

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:43 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Will EXT be able to handle all that traffic without the 6 new planned runways?


:rotfl: :stirthepot:

PlymSpotter wrote:
interesting to note is that Naples was previously flown in from EXT in 2016, and that Air Malta had operated into EXT for years, again only ceasing in 2016.


I remember Air Malta, and I'm surprised at Naples. Perhaps there is a larger market for Italian travel from the Westcountry than I previously thought?
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait
 
jomur
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: Ryanair Launch Flights From Exeter

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:11 am

Its probably because the the airport gave them reduced fees. Expect them to pull out when the fees go up to normal rates like they are doing at Glasgow.
 
User avatar
EGTESkyGod
Topic Author
Posts: 1523
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Re: Ryanair Launch Flights From Exeter

Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:48 am

Quick question, what businesses are there in Cranbrook? Any couriers such as DHL or FedEx? Could Exeter have the facilities and ability to become a cargo hub?
I came, I saw, I Concorde! www.gofundme.com/lineupandwait
 
UAL777UK
Posts: 2343
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:16 am

Re: Ryanair Launch Flights From Exeter

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:40 am

I am surprised that it took FR this long to get in there, although I suspect dangling a big carrot may of helped. Competition is always good. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.
 
[email protected]
Posts: 16616
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2001 6:29 pm

Re: Ryanair Launch Flights From Exeter

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:05 pm

JUST IN! Daily Exeter-Newark, 3x weekly Exeter-Boston, 4x weekly Exeter-Toronto. All by MAX 9s.

;-)
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."
 
User avatar
SamYeager2016
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:22 pm

Re: Ryanair Launch Flights From Exeter

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:14 pm

I realise my comment may not be that welcome to Exeter airport fans but it does strike me as Ryanair getting near to the bottom of the barrel. Whilst I don't want to derail this thread I wonder what this says about the ability of Ryanair to grow much further. I should point out that my parents have lived in Exeter since the late eighties so I'm no Exeter hater.
 
[email protected]
Posts: 16616
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2001 6:29 pm

Re: Ryanair Launch Flights From Exeter

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:24 pm

SamYeager2016 wrote:
I realise my comment may not be that welcome to Exeter airport fans but it does strike me as Ryanair getting near to the bottom of the barrel. Whilst I don't want to derail this thread I wonder what this says about the ability of Ryanair to grow much further. I should point out that my parents have lived in Exeter since the late eighties so I'm no Exeter hater.


Not at all: they'll be talking to hundreds of airports Europe-wide. This just happened now. There is no rhyme to going to X airport at Y time; it depends on the opportunity and deal. So you can't read anything into it.

Ryanair will carry about 140 million this year, with plans to carry 170m+ by 2020 and 200 million by 2024. This is per their annual reports and news articles*. This will mainly be achieved through their always getting better campaign and their focus on primary airports, plus opportunities at more traditional secondary and regional airports.

* E.g. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/uk.mobil ... KKCN1GI0UI
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 3943
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Ryanair Launch Flights From Exeter

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:37 pm

[email protected] wrote:
SamYeager2016 wrote:
I realise my comment may not be that welcome to Exeter airport fans but it does strike me as Ryanair getting near to the bottom of the barrel. Whilst I don't want to derail this thread I wonder what this says about the ability of Ryanair to grow much further. I should point out that my parents have lived in Exeter since the late eighties so I'm no Exeter hater.


Not at all: they'll be talking to hundreds of airports Europe-wide. This just happened now. There is no rhyme to going to X airport at Y time; it depends on the opportunity and deal. So you can't read anything into it.

Ryanair will carry about 140 million this year, with plans to carry 170m+ by 2020 and 200 million by 2024. This is per their annual reports and news articles*. This will mainly be achieved through their always getting better campaign and their focus on primary airports, plus opportunities at more traditional secondary and regional airports.

* E.g. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/uk.mobil ... KKCN1GI0UI


I can also see them grow somewhat on destinations that have pretty liberal bilaterals with the EU like they're currently doing in Israel and Jordan. They also got limited presence in Turkey already and I can see them grow there somewhat. Egypt could be their next destination, or maybe Cape Verde. And even in Europe there are still some opportunities left for them, like Iceland. What do you think would happen if Ryanair was able to get some slots at Keflavik?
 
[email protected]
Posts: 16616
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2001 6:29 pm

Re: Ryanair Launch Flights From Exeter

Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:28 pm

I can also see them grow somewhat on destinations that have pretty liberal bilaterals with the EU like they're currently doing in Israel and Jordan. They also got limited presence in Turkey already and I can see them grow there somewhat. Egypt could be their next destination, or maybe Cape Verde. And even in Europe there are still some opportunities left for them, like Iceland. What do you think would happen if Ryanair was able to get some slots at Keflavik?


Turkey/Egypt: not really, unless had other AOCs from other countries, or opportunities as with BTS-Turkey but these will be very limited. Otherwise only from Ireland. Cape Verde has open skies with the EU but I don't see it at all for FR. In any case, there are huge opportunities across the EU still and in it certain pockets elsewhere.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos