SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Dubrovnik Airport in negotiations with Air Transat

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:23 am

They are hoping to get flights from Toronto.

Last year, there were a total of 136.519 Canadian visitors entering Croatia, representing an increase of 24.4% on 2016. Air Transat says it sees a mix of both leisure and diaspora traffic on its flights to Zagreb. "We have seen all categories of passengers. There are those wishing to visit Croatia or just visit family and friends. There is a big Croatian community in Toronto and there is interest from Croatian travellers from both Europe and Canada". The Canadian leisure airline is expected to announce its 2019 summer plans by mid-October. The carrier is also believed to be considering seasonal flights from Montreal to Zagreb.

https://www.exyuaviation.com/2018/09/du ... h-air.html

https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Dubrov ... 18.2621926
Last edited by SQ22 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fixed
I have discovered that once people are truly captivated in their ignorance, they are generally unwilling to let the facts interfere.
(Rick Drury's Flightlines "Paychecks", Airways April 2003)

ryan78

Re: Dubrovnik Airport in negociations with Air Transat

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:11 pm

This would be a great add for next year, many people on those flights to ZAG often spend a day or two in Zagreb and then go to the coast, either Split, Dubrovnik, Pula, Zadar etc. Adding this flight will allow people to only do that trip one-way ie fly into ZAG and leave from DBV or vice versa. I think a 1 weekly A332 would be a good start to test it out, Croatia has been a hot destination for Canadians over the past few years.

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Could it be worthy to test it as a triangle route?
I have discovered that once people are truly captivated in their ignorance, they are generally unwilling to let the facts interfere.

ryan78

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:54 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
Could it be worthy to test it as a triangle route?

Maybe! Never thought of that as they don't do many triangle routes to Europe, the only one I can think of is LIS and OPO. A 2 weekly YYZ-ZAG with the addition of a 1 weekly YYZ-DBV-ZAG might be plausible and low risk when entering a new market.

aemoreira1981

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:22 pm

Given how JU is considering YYZ, what about potentially being triangular on YYZ-DBV-BEG-YYZ once weekly and the reverse on the other weekly frequency?

AIRTRANSAT767

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:02 pm

good news for air transat
i love air transat and fan all boeing

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:58 am

ryan78 wrote:

Maybe! Never thought of that as they don't do many triangle routes to Europe, the only one I can think of is LIS and OPO.

They have another in Italy. I believe they serve YYZ(or YUL)-SUF-FCO-YYZ.

ryan78

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:26 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
ryan78 wrote:

Maybe! Never thought of that as they don't do many triangle routes to Europe, the only one I can think of is LIS and OPO.

They have another in Italy. I believe they serve YYZ(or YUL)-SUF-FCO-YYZ.

Nope SUF is stand alone, YYZ-SUF-YYZ once a week on Tuesdays. And those flights are always full all summer.

ORDfan

Re: Dubrovnik Airport in negotiations with Air Transat

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Will be interesting to see if this develops. How has Air Canada Rouge been doing to ZAG?

Is there really enough demand from Canada for another flight to Croatia...would think this cannibalizes their ZAG loads, if they go this way...

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:52 am

ORDfan wrote:
Will be interesting to see if this develops. How has Air Canada Rouge been doing to ZAG?

Is there really enough demand from Canada for another flight to Croatia...would think this cannibalizes their ZAG loads, if they go this way...

Don't know, but here are some numbers regarding Croatia's airports.

The busiest airport in July was Split which saw 692,000 passengers, an increase of six percent when compared with 2017, and then in second place came Dubrovnik with 470,500 passengers followed by the capital Zagreb with 378,000.

https://www.thedubrovniktimes.com/news/ ... umper-2018

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/trav ... ik-airport

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:32 pm

In the end they have chosen to serve SPU once weekly starting in summer 2019.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1404959

EDIT:

...unless there's more to come...

Air Transat is expected to announce its full 2019 summer plans by mid-October. The carrier is also believed to be considering seasonal flights from Montreal to Zagreb and Toronto to Dubrovnik.

https://www.croatiaweek.com/air-transat ... an-summer/

AIRTRANSAT767

Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:04 pm

nice very nice for air transat !

AIRTRANSAT767

Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:30 pm

Bonne nouvelle pour air transat!

SCQ83

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:48 pm

ryan78 wrote:
This would be a great add for next year, many people on those flights to ZAG often spend a day or two in Zagreb and then go to the coast, either Split, Dubrovnik, Pula, Zadar etc. Adding this flight will allow people to only do that trip one-way ie fly into ZAG and leave from DBV or vice versa. I think a 1 weekly A332 would be a good start to test it out, Croatia has been a hot destination for Canadians over the past few years.

Zagreb has zero interest for North American tourists. There is a reason for those TATL services to Dubrovnik and now to Split.

Flying NA-Zagreb-Croatian Coast has no advantage over NA-FRA/MAD/MUC/VIE/ZRH-Croatian Coast. And with so little service from Zagreb to NA, passengers need to adjust to those schedules, while via FRA or MAD they have multiple daily combinations.

So as today, flying from North America to Dubrovnik via MAD or FRA is way more competitive than via Zagreb. Hence why the only way to attract customers looking for a quicker access to the coast is just flying non-stop to those destinations and not via ZAG.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos