oldannyboy

Re: London Stansted aims to secure flights to 25 long haul destinations over the next 5 years

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:08 pm

smallvoyageur wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
Do IAG have any long haul plans for Level in the UK? Could it be at STN? Just curious.

Well, I don't want to give Alex Cruz any ideas, but I for one could see a few LEVEL tails @ Gatters doing the cheapo longhauls in lieu of BA in a few years time....

Please do! I think Level would quietly fit in very well. ;)

Personally as someone living in Cambridgeshire and having a large Chinese community I am surprised that HU or its brotherly airlines choose STN as a stop. Especially since there are regularly frequent rail services from CBG station using CrossCountry and Greater Anglia.

Never at STN. Not IAG. Not in a million years. LGW it will be I'm afraid, when and IF the day comes.

shankly

Re: London Stansted aims to secure flights to 25 long haul destinations over the next 5 years

Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:41 pm

Cunard wrote:
STN has always had a very special place in my heart from my former plane spotting days when I first visited the airport in 1980 to see the Scandinavian charter invasion on a Sunday and the rare gems that were in for maintenance :-)

We must have shared salmon paste sandwiches and a penguin at some point Cunard as I was a STN spotter in those days

Sunday mornings with Lynjeflyg (F28), Braathens (F28 or 737), Busy Bee (F27 or 737), Scanair (DC8 or 9), Maersk (720) and Conair (720) and then all over again in the evenings but with the late night "exotic" Sterling (Caravelle or 727)

Used to sit for hours waiting for something to turn up in between the Ford 1-11's, CAFU 748, Transmeridian CL-44's, a BA Trident doing touch and go's and G-ASMY providing fun with EFATO practice for budding pilots
L1011 - P F M

Cunard

Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:43 pm

shankly wrote:
Cunard wrote:
STN has always had a very special place in my heart from my former plane spotting days when I first visited the airport in 1980 to see the Scandinavian charter invasion on a Sunday and the rare gems that were in for maintenance :-)

We must have shared salmon paste sandwiches and a penguin at some point Cunard as I was a STN spotter in those days

Sunday mornings with Lynjeflyg (F28), Braathens (F28 or 737), Busy Bee (F27 or 737), Scanair (DC8 or 9), Maersk (720) and Conair (720) and then all over again in the evenings but with the late night "exotic" Sterling (Caravelle or 727)

Used to sit for hours waiting for something to turn up in between the Ford 1-11's, CAFU 748, Transmeridian CL-44's, a BA Trident doing touch and go's and G-ASMY providing fun with EFATO practice for budding pilots

Oh yeah are memories of STN during that period are very familiar especially the ''Salmon paste sandwiches'' and those long hours without any movements whatsoever.

My first visit to Stansted was on Sunday morning in September 1979 and on the apron was a Braathens B732, Busy Bee B732, Lynjeflyg F28, Mearsk B720, Scanair DC8, Transair Sweden B721, an Air Guinee B732 and an Air Mali B721 over at the ATEL maintenance area which were all very rare visitors to the United Kingdom at the time and Stansted was very popular with the Scandinavian airlines during that period.

It's amazing to think how Stansted has evolved since those hazy days and that's why I have a particular fondness for the airport, the same can be said about Gatwick which I have never referred to as ''Gatters'' as some like to do which is a term that I find extremely annoying.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

santi319

Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Now B6 makes sense!

dcajet

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:07 pm

If cargo services count....

LH Cargo has inaugurated a weekly cargo non stop flight between Buenos Aires EZE and London Stansted STN. Operates on Thursdays with 77F equipment. So with this flight, EZE is connected non stop with 3 of London's airports: LHR (BA), LGW (DN) and STN (LH).

Vuelo De A Salida Llegada
LH 8272 Frankfurt (FRA) Campinas (VCP) 08:45 15:55
LH 8272 Campinas (VCP) Montevideo (MVD) 17:55 20:30
LH 8272 Montevideo (MVD) Buenos Aires (EZE) 22:30 23:15
LH 8273 Buenos Aires (EZE) Londres (STN) 01:15 15:00
LH 8273 Londres (STN) Frankfurt (FRA) 17:30 19:50
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

sand26391

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Not sure if this had been posted here b4, IndiGo airlines (6E) has planned to start 1 stop Delhi-STN & BLR-STN (or BLR-DEL-STN) this year with its Airbus A321N.

https://livefromalounge.boardingarea.co ... expansion/

Galwayman

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Easily achieved, STN is an amazing airport, with low costs for operators and a large catchment area ... some sort of connections/tranfers deal with FR and its a masssive game changer ...

Cunard

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:08 am

Ryanair don't do connections and transfer deals so you can discount that idea of being a massive game changer!

If on the other hand they did offer some sort of connections/transfer deal then it probably would be a game changer.

But Ryanair are not in the business of having connections or transfers, it would be too expensive and Ryanair being the airline that they are won't get involved in business like that when they would be liable for other airlines cancellations. There is alot involved in making connections and transfers work and Ryanair aren't the right airline for that.

But I fully agree with you that Stansted is an amazing airport with a very large catchment area. With the new arrivals terminal being built and the reconfiguration of the existing terminal into the departures terminal it's only going to get better :-)

When you quote ''easily achieved'' you have to remember that Stansted made this quote a year ago and in that time the only one long haul flight has been announced at Stansted that being the Emirates flight from DXB and that was announced before Stansted published their press statement regarding their aim in securing 25 long haul flights in 5 years. Even Primea were operating from Stansted when this press release was made and we all know what happened to them.

I fully believe that Stansted will gain more long haul routes but realistically they won't have 25 long haul routes within 4 years. I'm quoting 4 years because it's a year ago since the statement was first made.

Stansted currently sees a daily flight from DXB with Emirates and a second daily flight will be added from the 01 July 2019. The route has been an instant success and not surprising too.

Indigo seem like they could be the next long haul airline to officially announce Stansted with a BLR-DEL-STN flight.

JetBlue I have confidence in and I have no doubt that they will choose Stansted as their London airport of choice when they start flying transatlantic from Boston and New York JFK!

Regardless of all the comments from the US end who seem adamant it's going to be LHR.

Qatar Cargo already use Stansted for their cargo operations, the same with Turkish Airlines Cargo. Perhaps these two airlines could possibly launch passenger flights from Stansted in the future. Turkish Airlines having previously done so in the past.

Air Transat also used Stansted in the past on a regular basis, could they possibly make a return at some point or even WestJet with a route to Toronto?

With Thomas Cook Airlines and TUI both pulling their Florida flights from Stansted over the last few years could Virgin Atlantic possibly look at operating a seasonal weekly flight to Orlando like they do from Belfast and Glasgow?

It would give Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Holidays a north London airport for their popular Orlando flights!

Perhaps American Airlines could return to Stansted for the ''third'' time and reinstate their flight from New York JFK or even start a new route from Philadelphia?

There are several African airlines intending to return to the London market over the next few years and with slots getting rarer by the minute at LGW could they be possible future contenders for Stansted?

The Chinese airlines are being very aggressive at LHR lately with a plethora of new routes and new entrants being announced and any overflow would probably go to LGW.

Stansted could easily achieve a route to China especially with Cambridge being close to the airport.

But in saying that China Southern already serve Stansted with cargo flights from Guangzhou and they seem to be applying for many new routes to LHR plus they are going to be the main airline serving the new Beijing airport when it opens in a few years time. Could they possibly start passenger flights at some point to Stansted?

Interesting times lie ahead for Stansted but to say that 25 long haul destinations in 4 years is ''easily achieved'' is quite an overstatement in my opinion. 10 maybe 12 possibly 15 could be achievable but definitely not 25.

Although 25 long haul destinations at Stansted would be totally fantastic for the airport :-)

Stansted currently sees a variety of airlines serving the airport as well as being the United Kingdoms third busiest cargo airport and London's second busiest cargo airport by volume.

Current passenger airlines serving London Stansted Airport are.

Air Albania
Air Corsica
Air Moldova
Albawings
Arkia
Atlas Global
Aurigny
Austrian (seasonal charter)
BH Air (seasonal charter)
British Airways
Easyjet
Emirates
Eurowings
Jet2
Lauda
Loganair
Pegasus Airlines
Ryanair
Scandinavian Airlines
Thomas Cook Airlines
TUI
Wideroe
Titan Airways (charters)

Current cargo operations from the following include.

Asiana Cargo
ASL Airlines
Astral Aviation
CargoLogicAir
Cargolux
China Southern Airlines Cargo
FedEx
Fedex Feeder (Swiftair)
KLM Cargo
Lufthansa Cargo
Panalpina
Qatar Airlines Cargo
Royal Mail
Silk Way Airlines?
Turkish Airlines Cargo
UPS Airlines

There are rumours of Egyptair Cargo resuming flights.

People seem to underestimate how important or how busy London Stansted is, it's not only the third busiest London airport but also the third busiest airport in the United Kingdom with nearly 27 million passengers and almost 240,000 tonnes of cargo passing through the airport in 2018 and with these figures only expected to grow in 2019.
Last edited by Cunard on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

jfklganyc

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:14 am

Bluejet...enter stage left!

UAL777UK

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:25 am

Good luck STN with that ambitious forecast.

Apart from the fact that many have tried and failed they IMHO are going to have to make the rail connection experience a darn site better to Liverpool Street and as for driving to the airport......when they get any bad weather, the M11 can be hell on earth and no great alternatives.

And lets not even start when christ knows how man FR flights come in at pretty much the same time. The customs hall looks is swamped.

Good luck I say! :roll:

SeanM1997

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:35 am

Stansted 25 long haul destinations were desired - but at the time New York JFK, Boston, Washington Dulles and Toronto Pearson were also served, so we can now include them onto the list of desired airlines. Looking at what airlines have stated in the press about growth to the UK, it will be very hard for Stansted to grow to 25 long haul destinations by 2023. Below are the list of long haul routes most likely to start from London Stansted and the airlines who could operate them:

- Amman (Jordan) - Ryanair
- Aqaba (Jordan) - Ryanair
- Bangkok (Thailand) - Air Asia X
- Boston (USA) - JetBlue
- Delhi (India) - IndiGo (one-stop)
- Doha (Qatar) - Qatar Airways
- Hong Kong (Hong Kong) - Cathay Pacific
- New York JFK (USA) - JetBlue
- Orlando Sanford (USA) - TUI
- Singapore (Singapore) - Scoot

Existing long haul from Stansted:
- Dubai (UAE) - Emirates
- Tel Aviv (Israel) - EasyJet

bhxalex

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:51 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
Stansted 25 long haul destinations were desired - but at the time New York JFK, Boston, Washington Dulles and Toronto Pearson were also served, so we can now include them onto the list of desired airlines. Looking at what airlines have stated in the press about growth to the UK, it will be very hard for Stansted to grow to 25 long haul destinations by 2023. Below are the list of long haul routes most likely to start from London Stansted and the airlines who could operate them:

- Boston (USA) - JetBlue

- Dubai (UAE) - Emirates

Israel can't be considered long haul from London by any definition. Also Arkia serve TLV too.

c933103

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:04 am

I guess HKG is not impossible but I don't think there will be slots until after HKG expansion which would be after the stated timeframe?
And is there such demand from MNL? They don't even have daily flight to any airports in the London now.
Peace cannot counter violence when violence are being used by the powerful without mercy. #HongKong
But there is one possible exception. That is if the world could come together and make those who use violence lose their power. #China

Cunard

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:12 am

UAL777UK

I totally agree with many of your points.

Many airlines have tried and failed at Stansted in the past but to be honest I don't think that there was any real commitment from many of them from the very beginning and that includes Alitalia, America Airlines, KLM, Lufthansa amongst others.

The failures such as EOS, Maxjet, Primrea who's downfalls weren't totally attributed to the fact that they operated from Stansted, all those airlines had operating issues that finally brought them down.

I totally agree with you regarding the very poor rail connection to Liverpool Street Station. Although the airport are completely at loggerheads with the rail company's about upgrading the link to at least have a faster journey time than is currently available.
The problem lies in the approaches to Liverpool Street Station but there's current not enough rail capacity to do so unless MAG are happy to help with the financial costs involved in upgrading the connection.

Although rail is a major factor in the airport's transport links the airport state's that upto 50% of it's total passengers are using bus and coach to connect to the airport making Stansted the second busiest coach station in the United Kingdom.

The M11 is good when it's good but can be a complete nightmare if it's bad and as you say there's not really an alternative especially travelling northbound from the M25.

I also agree about the nightmare that is passport control and customs hall after a barrage of Ryanair flights have landed especially between the hours of 22.00 and 23.30. as you say it's swamped and not a nice experience whatsoever.

It took me nearly two hours from departing the aircraft to actually leaving the customs hall on one occasion, 30 minutes longer than my flight was. Luckily I didn't have far to go as I was staying at the nearby Radisson Blu Hotel a mere five minute walk direct from the terminal. I had booked the hotel knowing damb well how hectic the arrival part would be from past experiences. It was a two hour flight, we arrived at STN on-time was off the aircraft just after 23.00 and I remember walking into the hotel after 01.00 in the morning feeling absolutely shattered.

A new arrivals terminal is being built, arrivals experience will be greatly improved along with the reconfiguration of the existing terminal into the departures terminal and an extra security zone opening where the current arrivals is creating far more space in the departure lounge by upto 50% compared to now.

The airport can't do much regarding the M11 but they could contribute into making the rail connection faster.

On the plus side at least the airport are going to improve the layout of the current terminal and with the addition of the brand new arrivals terminal that's going to be fit for purpose unlike the current arrangement and the images that I've seen online show a vast improvement and the new arrivals terminal and reconfiguration of the current terminal look great. (If you haven't already seen them they are well worth looking at and the fly through CGI video really gives you a good impression on how it will eventually look)

Cunard

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:32 am

SeanM1997 wrote:

- Boston (USA) - JetBlue

- Dubai (UAE) - Emirates

I was actually going to name a few of those airlines and destinations you have listed and they all seem very plausible especially,

Air Asia X...Bangkok
Cathay Pacific...Hong Kong
Scoot...Singapore

The aforementioned Indigo...Delhi and of course JetBlue... Boston and New York JFK as I quoted in my previous post along with the possibility of Qatar Airways... Doha complimenting the airline's current cargo flights, the same with Turkish Airlines.

I would like to think that TUI at some point will resume long haul flying again from Stansted with Sanford or for that matter Orlando being an obvious ommission from the airport's route network.

You mentioned EasyJet and Tel Aviv, I've listed Arkia already in my airline list as they fly to Stansted year round now with their A321 after previously being seasonal.

Somon Airlines of Tajikistan have been quoted in mentioning their intention of flying to London and Stansted was mentioned so another possibility!

rida79

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:36 am

Local papers in Kuwait have mentioned in the past that Jazeera Airways has plans to serve London. Considering that they are a LCC airline and that slots at Heathrow are either restricted or expensive, I see them as a possible candidate to serve Stansted.

jamsco99

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:47 am

vhtje wrote:
STN is my local airport - I am in Cambridge and it is about 30 minutes’ drive from my home - but I avoid using. Why? Because it is such a miserable experience to use from a passenger’s perspective. It starts with the drop off - the greedy, grasping airport charges £2.00 (or is it £3.00 now?) to have my partner or a taxi drop me at the door. Even then it is not at the door, there still a sizeable walk to the terminal. No free luggage cart, of course, that’s another grasping £4. Then when you get to the terminal there are endless queues. Security is a horrid mess. Then you’re through to a giant shopping centre. There no doubting what the airport owners prioritise, it is retail over aviation. Arrivals is no better - the arrival experience is into a grim hall with poor signage and which is under constant construction. The whole experience is miles adrift from the experience at Heathrow T5. I could perhaps tolerate it on a short-haul cheap bucket-and-spade holiday, but for a business trip or a long haul - forget it I am going to Heathrow.

I avoid Stansted and I'm afraid even with the new arrivals building that it will still be a 'hole. Its like a giant food court from an 80s shopping mall. Poor security, not enough staff and Ryanair taking up most slots and not announcing gates until the last minute

Cunard

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:50 am

c933103 wrote:
I guess HKG is not impossible but I don't think there will be slots until after HKG expansion which would be after the stated timeframe?
And is there such demand from MNL? They don't even have daily flight to any airports in the London now.

MNL-LHR by PR is going daily this summer, it was previously 5 x weekly.

There is no way on earth that a route from Manila to London Stansted will ever materialize, I honestly don't understand how or why it's even on the airport's wish list!

I wouldn't take much notice of the stated timeframe of the airport's wish list, CX could announce plans for HKG-STN prior to the third runway being completed at HKG with service starting when the runway is actually built.

The first flight to depart from Hong Kong Chep Lak Kok Airport's new runway, a Cathay Pacific Airbus A350-1000 flying direct on a new daily nonstop flight to London Stansted Airport, now that would be something special :-)

Cunard

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:06 am

rida79 wrote:
Local papers in Kuwait have mentioned in the past that Jazeera Airways has plans to serve London. Considering that they are a LCC airline and that slots at Heathrow are either restricted or expensive, I see them as a possible candidate to serve Stansted.

So do I :-)

I read an article a while back on ch.aviation where it mentioned that Jazeera Airways was planning to serve London at some point and although it didn't mention a particular airport I obviously thought of Stansted being a possible contender. I'm pleased that you brought it up actually as I haven't seen or read anything recent regarding their plans. Jazeera Airways currently have one Airbus A320neo in their fleet with two more to be delivered this year plus eight Airbus A320 with two more examples joining the fleet soon.

So yes Jazeera Airways could well be another contender for Stansted from Kuwait.

There's a lot of Kuwaitis in London especially younger Kuwaitis who would use the flight!

c933103

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:39 am

Cunard wrote:
c933103 wrote:

MNL-LHR by PR is going daily this summer, it was previously 5 x weekly.

There is no way on earth that a route from Manila to London Stansted will ever materialize, I honestly don't understand how or why it's even on the airport's wish list!

I wouldn't take much notice of the stated timeframe of the airport's wish list, CX could announce plans for HKG-STN prior to the third runway being completed at HKG with service starting when the runway is actually built.

The first flight to depart from Hong Kong Chep Lak Kok Airport's new runway, a Cathay Pacific Airbus A350-1000 flying direct on a new daily nonstop flight to London Stansted Airport, now that would be something special :-)

After the third runway being completed, they will need to close down the two existing runway one by one and do months long maintenance works so new slots will not be immediately available after completion of the third runway.
Peace cannot counter violence when violence are being used by the powerful without mercy. #HongKong
But there is one possible exception. That is if the world could come together and make those who use violence lose their power. #China

B1168

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:30 pm

Cunard wrote:
The Chinese airlines are being very aggressive at LHR lately with a plethora of new routes and new entrants being announced and any overflow would probably go to LGW.

Stansted could easily achieve a route to China especially with Cambridge being close to the airport.

But in saying that China Southern already serve Stansted with cargo flights from Guangzhou and they seem to be applying for many new routes to LHR plus they are going to be the main airline serving the new Beijing airport when it opens in a few years time. Could they possibly start passenger flights at some point to Stansted?

Interesting times lie ahead for Stansted but to say that 25 long haul destinations in 4 years is ''easily achieved'' is quite an overstatement in my opinion. 10 maybe 12 possibly 15 could be achievable but definitely not 25.

Although 25 long haul destinations at Stansted would be totally fantastic for the airport :-)

I would like to go for it this way—cargo flight does NOT matter that much. Ages and ages has passed since CZ has rumored to fly pax to ORD, and they have run cargo there for ages alike, but they just don’t make pax happen......
As a general rule, you usually begin considering long haul destinations in London outside LHR/LGW with at least 3 daily flights. Among HKG’s 8 (or something of such) daily flights, 1 goes for LGW, while PVG sees 3 weekly LGW service in addition to its 17 weekly existing LHR service. And, LGW is NOT STN. That means even less demand for LGW. I optimistically call for 3 weekly of STN from PEK by massively codesharing across the British Isles; remember, UK is not part of Schengen zone, so transfer at STN usually stays within U.K.

Aisak

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:09 pm

santi319 wrote:
Now B6 makes sense!

That should do it. But simply because they would apply for slots at LHR, and would not find any slot pair suitable for their services. They they would head to LGW and again request for slots for their services.... and again would not find any suitable for their services.

jamsco99 wrote:
vhtje wrote:
STN is my local airport - I am in Cambridge and it is about 30 minutes’ drive from my home - but I avoid using. Why? Because it is such a miserable experience to use from a passenger’s perspective. It starts with the drop off - the greedy, grasping airport charges £2.00 (or is it £3.00 now?) to have my partner or a taxi drop me at the door. Even then it is not at the door, there still a sizeable walk to the terminal. No free luggage cart, of course, that’s another grasping £4. Then when you get to the terminal there are endless queues. Security is a horrid mess. Then you’re through to a giant shopping centre. There no doubting what the airport owners prioritise, it is retail over aviation. Arrivals is no better - the arrival experience is into a grim hall with poor signage and which is under constant construction. The whole experience is miles adrift from the experience at Heathrow T5. I could perhaps tolerate it on a short-haul cheap bucket-and-spade holiday, but for a business trip or a long haul - forget it I am going to Heathrow.

I avoid Stansted and I'm afraid even with the new arrivals building that it will still be a 'hole. Its like a giant food court from an 80s shopping mall. Poor security, not enough staff and Ryanair taking up most slots and not announcing gates until the last minute

It's quite logical.

If the company running the airport can't get enough money from the airlines' fees to run the airport (at a profit), and Ryanair is not know to pay list prices and shut up...
then the airport is forced to fetch the money from other areas.

That means what you see at STN, the Ryanair model of doing business. You pay for everything and get treated like cattle. You pay to drop off passengers, to park, to use a cart... don't dischard the Ryanair wet dream of charging to use the loo.

amc737

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:39 pm

Jazeera Airways are rumoured to be going to Gatwick, this would not surprise me and I would expect an evening in-bound to London, overnight back to Kuwait

I am surprised it took Emirates as long as it did to start Stansted, its gets a bad rep for having a smaller catchment then Luton but there are plenty of large towns and small cities that are closer to Stansted then Heathrow, even East London, a trip up the M11 or a trip round the busiest parts of the M25 to Heathrow or through the middle of London!

I also think Emirates will put Standard on the long-haul map although like has already been said I see a few destinations rather than 25.

Since Stansted was re-developed, most of its long-haul operations have been by smaller, financially insecure operators. EOS, Maxjet, Primera - I remember an operator from Gambia using a Czech IL-62 that got impounded at Stansted. The main reputable carriers pre-Emirates have really been American (twice), Continental and Air Asia X. Stansted has been unlucky in that events outside its control, Continental by 9/11, and both American services periods by the economic environment, I am aware that Americans second attempt was seen a spoiler to Maxjet and EOS but officially it was blamed on the GFC.

I'm not convinced Jetblue will use Stansted, as a new entrant, with cash they may be in a better position to get access to Heathrow, I wonder though if another spoiler attempt will use Stansted like Deltas proposed services to Gatwick to flood the market with capacity.

Amc737

evanb

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:13 pm

Aisak wrote:
That should do it. But simply because they would apply for slots at LHR, and would not find any slot pair suitable for their services. They they would head to LGW and again request for slots for their services.... and again would not find any suitable for their services.

New entrants get preferential access to slots that become available from the slot pool. While LHR might be a step too far for B6, LGW wouldn't. Also, while LGW is certainly constrained in terms of slots, it's not impossible to get.

If they need to spend money to get them they would have no problem. They spent $382 million on stock buy backs last year, and $390 million the year before. That suggests that there is plenty of capital available at B6 if necessary.

747megatop

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:49 pm

qf789 wrote:
London Stansted has said today that they aim to secure flights to at least 25 long haul destinations over the next 5 years. Those destinations include but not limited to

Asia - HKG, NRT or HND, CAN, SIN, PEK, BKK, ICN, PVG, MNL

US - LAX, SFO, ORD, MIA

Canada - YUL, YVR

India - DEL, BOM, CMB

Africa - JNB

Middle East - KWI

https://mediacentre.stanstedairport.com ... ul-growth/

Is this target ambitious? Are there any other destinations they may look at trying to attract?

The above routes will have to rely on O&D + International to UK Domestic connecting traffic. So, how many of the above proposed routes are viable and will survive?

BrooklyBOMgal

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:06 pm

qf789 wrote:
London Stansted has said today that they aim to secure flights to at least 25 long haul destinations over the next 5 years. Those destinations include but not limited to

India - DEL, BOM, CMB

https://mediacentre.stanstedairport.com ... ul-growth/

The airport's media centre believes CMB is in India.

dean

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:11 pm

I can see it happening in 5 years. That's a long time!

It's interesting that some of you bring up the "poor" condition of the airport (dirty toilets and slow access to the car parking lot — these can be changed really quick), however, there were nearly 28 M pax served in 2018 at STN. I don't see the point why these pax would take an intra-EU flight, but would not take any long-haul flights out of STN.

LON is a huge metropolitan area with extreme O/D traffic. For a great chunk of the over 170 million pax flying in/out LON annually, it's all about price. I don't think STN pax chose this specific airport because they don't like the toilets at LHR or LGW, but more likely because the price offered for their ride to point B was the cheapest.

It's an "easy" business decision for airlines:
1) price attractiveness — they need to offer cheaper prices than those LHR/LGW flights. This brings to the second question:
2) How much is it going to cost to fly to and from STN? Considering the fact that LGW and LHR are around their cap limits, I can see some business potential here. I think it's all up to STN to make it happen.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos