SCQ83

Re: CONFIRMED: Air France Announces Dallas-Paris starting 2019

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:30 pm

The title is wrong; it should read CDG-DFW or Paris-Dallas.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Don't know how much airline experience you have besides sitting in a seat, but marketing has direct influence over sked's.

peanuts

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:50 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Does the toilet roll start face up or down?
It doesn't matter. As poorly a job AF marketing has done on their Dallas write up, from an American perspective it's still a Dallas-Paris flight announcement. I'm sure in Paris the marketing announcement is reversed.

SCQ83

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:13 pm

peanuts wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

It doesn't matter. As poorly a job AF marketing has done on their Dallas write up, from an American perspective it's still a Dallas-Paris flight announcement. I'm sure in Paris the marketing announcement is reversed.

It is not about "perspective", it is about the home carrier base/airport. If it was AA or any American carrier launching this route, it should read as DFW-CDG.

trpmb6

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:16 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
peanuts wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

It is not about "perspective", it is about the home carrier base/airport. If it was AA or any American carrier launching this route, it should read as DFW-CDG.

This was already hashed out and then all the comments were deleted. I'm not sure why but we should probably just drop it..

Suffice to say, we all understand that AF is not opening a new hub in DFW for operations.

Nola

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:23 pm

SNN707 wrote:
Nola wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Who does AF code share with?

Nm found my answer. AF code shares with Delta in US but that's not going to help many on getting to DFW..

There are still a lot of DL flyers from when DFW was a DL hub. Some of them will probably migrate to this flight for European trips, especially if the planes have new cabins. The AF food is also generally pretty good, which cannot be said of AA or BA.

This flight may take some traffic from the IAH-CDG flight, though. For example, I'm a skyteam loyalist and from MSY. I've started taking UA to IAH and then getting on AF or KLM instead of going through JFK and a longer layover or ATL and a higher price.

My thought exactly. Lots of DL status members still in DFW. Nice flight to use those Skypesos on in the summer for a family trip to Paris.

As far as MSY is concerned, I'm wondering how much business BA (and to a minor extent DE) has siphoned off from DLs ATL/JFK/DTW transatlantic stranglehold they had from MSY - and how much yield. I think a clear answer to that would be DL running a nonstop to either CDG or AMS from MSY. If BA were to go daily from MSY, we could see a response from DL to get some of that revenue back. But DL is so profitable, they may just cocede those seats to BA to print even more money elsewhere....

I'm sure it has taken some business away but the only way to really know would be to know MSY-DL HUB-CDG/AMS numbers to compare. And that wouldn't even account for MSY based flyers who travel to IAH to get on DL/AF/KLM metal. I do wonder if there won't be some changes coming when the new North Terminal opens at MSY next year. DL is facing increased competition here from AA (and BA) in terms of flights. UA is opening a club (along with DL and a private operator) and will probably add flights too.

gokmengs

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:52 pm

[url][/url]
ubeema wrote:
Wow I’m so happy about that news. Planes4you started a thread about this yesterday.
The 8:15 arrival at CDG is perfect to make onward connections to Africa for me. I could not do that with AA arrival at 9:40 in T2A

And he/she got grilled and talked down,I’d like to see his post here:)
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

jasoncrh

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:59 pm

I've actually worked in the network planning and schedule planning division at several international and domestic airlines. The marketing department does not do any of that.

727200 wrote:
Don't know how much airline experience you have besides sitting in a seat, but marketing has direct influence over sked's.

neomax

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:02 pm

The amount of nitpicking is unbelievable. First everyone was clueless on “slots” when it was obvious to anyone with a pulse what he meant and now we’re agrguing about DFW-CDG vs CDG-DFW!?!

usairways85

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Brandon757 wrote:
Thank God for a new tail in DFW.

No offense, but BA, JL, LH, AC, AM, EK, QR, FI, WOW, KE, QF, TA, 40, Y4 is not too shabby. Sure there may be plenty of AA tails in there.

sassiciai

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:18 pm

neomax wrote:
The amount of nitpicking is unbelievable. First everyone was clueless on “slots” when it was obvious to anyone with a pulse what he meant and now we’re agrguing about DFW-CDG vs CDG-DFW!?!

So you don't have a pulse, if I extrapolate your definition!

Anyone with any understanding of flight directions will know the difference between CDG - DFW, and the opposite

Those are 2 different flights. AF would fly them from CDG as origin, while any USx airline might offer it as DFW to CDG. Competitive! With fare pressure. With reliability pressure, and thus the ability for the airline to take care of its pax when things go wrong

Do you want to be with AF when the new destination Dallas has an in-op aircraft for the flight back to CDG?

747superliner

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:58 pm

Always good when an airline announces new service (or in this case, a return) in the market. But seriously, it's not like DFW has never had CDG service or is starved for international carriers (of which there are about a dozen if not more). This is a well-established hub with plenty of carriers to choose from.

I wonder what this means for the viability of KLM returning next summer, both KLM and AF having a joint operation and AA likely having its own AMS flight back for the summer.

Not a big AF fan having flown it several times in the past but I wish it success at DFW :)

Popcorn125

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:09 pm

AA is now flying AMS-DFW seasonally, so the market is served again but not by KLM. I wonder why AA makes it work with a 772 while KLM struggled with an A330, even with ME3 competition. With EK downgrading DFW to a 77W and EY quiting the market all together, I wonder why KLM couldn't do a decent job at least. There must be some market at least for KLM. AA even upgraded the route from a 763 to a 772, so they must have been doing something better even though it looks like there serving the local market only, because DFW must not be a connecting point for most passengers.

Otherwise, hopefully Air France does well on CDG-DFW-CDG.

Rookie87

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:12 pm

I wonder what AA’s response would be if any. Add a 2nd frequency mirroring AF’s times or is that not available in CDG? I have no idea if CDG is slot controlled or not.

LH658

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:18 pm

mfe777 wrote:
Does anyone with a better knowledge of the Air France schedule know if a 10:10am departure on CDG-DFW leaves enough morning connection opportunities on routes like ABC-CDG-DFW? Does AF have a big arrival bank in the morning?

same ETD as IAH flight roughly. Many US bound flights have morning departure times. I am sure connections to India, Africa, Middle East, Europe, and etc.

braniff2hav

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:19 pm

I find it humorous that the AF Press Release never mentions Fort Worth, where the airport is located, not to mention the city itself being fairly sizable.

SNN707

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Nola wrote:
SNN707 wrote:
Nola wrote:

There are still a lot of DL flyers from when DFW was a DL hub. Some of them will probably migrate to this flight for European trips, especially if the planes have new cabins. The AF food is also generally pretty good, which cannot be said of AA or BA.

This flight may take some traffic from the IAH-CDG flight, though. For example, I'm a skyteam loyalist and from MSY. I've started taking UA to IAH and then getting on AF or KLM instead of going through JFK and a longer layover or ATL and a higher price.

My thought exactly. Lots of DL status members still in DFW. Nice flight to use those Skypesos on in the summer for a family trip to Paris.

As far as MSY is concerned, I'm wondering how much business BA (and to a minor extent DE) has siphoned off from DLs ATL/JFK/DTW transatlantic stranglehold they had from MSY - and how much yield. I think a clear answer to that would be DL running a nonstop to either CDG or AMS from MSY. If BA were to go daily from MSY, we could see a response from DL to get some of that revenue back. But DL is so profitable, they may just cocede those seats to BA to print even more money elsewhere....

I'm sure it has taken some business away but the only way to really know would be to know MSY-DL HUB-CDG/AMS numbers to compare. And that wouldn't even account for MSY based flyers who travel to IAH to get on DL/AF/KLM metal. I do wonder if there won't be some changes coming when the new North Terminal opens at MSY next year. DL is facing increased competition here from AA (and BA) in terms of flights. UA is opening a club (along with DL and a private operator) and will probably add flights too.

We just don't have that data. I am a UA guy (I know) but using awards on BA through LHR is brutal due fees and taxes. I fly to Europe on UA award space because of the sheer number of options. Others like you are DL ppl. So its hard to gauge vs pure cash price demand.

axiom

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:41 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
I find it humorous that the AF Press Release never mentions Fort Worth, where the airport is located, not to mention the city itself being fairly sizable.

Few Europeans will know of FW. It's sensible.

DFW17L

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:45 pm

braniff2hav wrote:

Fort Worth...Where the West Begins.

Dallas...Where the East sort of peters out.

braniff2hav

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:47 pm

I wonder what the DFW Airport Board thinks about that press release. LOL

FA9295

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Rookie87 wrote:
I wonder what AA’s response would be if any. Add a 2nd frequency mirroring AF’s times or is that not available in CDG? I have no idea if CDG is slot controlled or not.

I'm not sure if pulling a widebody aircraft from another route and placing it on this route is really all that worth it just to compete with AF. Considering that AA is planning on competing against Y4 on CLT-GDL and currently on DFW-KEF with FI and WW, it wouldn't surprise me. With that being said though, it's much easier to find aircraft to pull on short haul flights then long haul flights because there are more narrowbody aircraft available to pull then widebody aircraft.

questions

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:09 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Located in northern Texas, Dallas is the fourth most populous metropolitan area in the United States. Known as the "Big D", it is home to one of the country's largest industrial centers. Its oil center is the most important but the city is also at the forefront in the telecommunications and banking sectors. In terms of tourism and discovery, Dallas is not just a TV series. It is also the real home of cowboys with ranches and rodeos all over the city. The Big D also attracts visitors with its cultural attractions, including many museums - including the famous 6th Floor Museum in honor of John Fitzgerald Kennedy - galleries and districts dedicated to art as well as parks scattered between the skyscrapers.

This was definitely written by someone who doesn't live in Dallas!

Does anyone in Dallas refer to their hometown as The Big D? Or is The Big D to Dallas what Frisco is to San Francisco?

questions

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:12 pm

SNN707 wrote:
Nice flight to use those Skypesos on in the summer for a family trip to Paris.

Wouldn’t that require 3 million SkyPesos?

Sydscott

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:46 pm

B747forever wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:
Wonder what AA's response will be? 2x daily next summer?

2x DFW-CDG and start LAX-CDG

I don't think that AA will respond in any meaningful way, especially not with something like LAX-CDG. They have had their LAX hub for years and have not started LAX-CDG. I doubt this new AF service will be the tipping point.

You could more reasonably argue the reverse in that this is actually AF/KLM responding to AA starting DFW-AMS last year. Still, DFW is a significant metro area in the US and it makes sense that AF would fly there from CDG since they've the group already tried AMS on KLM.

Austin787

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:48 pm

I'm considering a vist to France next year. Nice to have another option to get there.

FA9295 wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:

I'm not sure if pulling a widebody aircraft from another route and placing it on this route is really all that worth it just to compete with AF. Considering that AA is planning on competing against Y4 on CLT-GDL and currently on DFW-KEF with FI and WW, it wouldn't surprise me. With that being said though, it's much easier to find aircraft to pull on short haul flights then long haul flights because there are more narrowbody aircraft available to pull then widebody aircraft.

If AA were to add a 2nd DFW-CDG flight, they have several options:
1) Delay 767 retirements.
2) Cancel another long haul route out of ORD or JFK and move that widebody to DFW-CDG

747superliner

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:43 pm

Here in Oklahoma City, I've heard many people call Dallas the "Big D", have been for years. After reading it for a second time, the Dallas marketing attempt by AF is not entirely bad, but it is clumsily put together. Whoever was in charge of composing it could have done a much better job than that (and I've been down to the Dallas-Ft. Worth area on multiple occasions). Also, Fort Worth definitely has made a name for itself but I suspect as someone else has pointed out, it gets overlooked/not that well-known, especially outside of the U.S. Kind of like why it's always New York (City) and Newark plays second fiddle to the Big Apple.

Anyway, back on topic, just a passing thought. If AA were to respond, could it use one of its 787s for a second daily summer-only service? I know that's not the priority for the 78's right now but just surmising. Then again it all depends on how strong the demand is for CDG flights to/from DFW. Currently AA has year-round service between DFW and CDG with 772ERs (and I think 763ERs in the slower winter season).

UA735WL

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:46 am

sassiciai wrote:
neomax wrote:

So you don't have a pulse, if I extrapolate your definition!

Anyone with any understanding of flight directions will know the difference between CDG - DFW, and the opposite

Those are 2 different flights. AF would fly them from CDG as origin, while any USx airline might offer it as DFW to CDG. Competitive! With fare pressure. With reliability pressure, and thus the ability for the airline to take care of its pax when things go wrong

Do you want to be with AF when the new destination Dallas has an in-op aircraft for the flight back to CDG?

I don't think that anyone who posts on a.net and clicked on this thread doesn't understand that Air *France* has a hub at CDG airport in Paris ...in *France*. Everybody understands that the AF flight to DFW originates in CDG. Nobody is arguing that it originates in DFW. But if I live in Dallas, I now have DFW-CDG as an option- making me a DFW originating pax. That's why it read "DFW-CDG" and not the other way around.

I don't want to be rude, but it's asinine and rather pedantic to continue arguing this point and to keep throwing the poor thread off-topic when it's already been made multiple times. That's why the previous posts were deleted- they were annoying and off-topic.

Now for something on-topic: Does anyone know which other AF destination hosted the most connections originating in DFW? I'm wondering if that destination will be greatly affected.

-Jonas :smile:
"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions" -Tex Johnston

737max8

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:15 am

klakzky123 wrote:
LY777 wrote:
AF A332s have an antiquated cabin. Although I am not a fan of AA, I will prefer an AA 772 over an AF A332

Arent the A332s getting upgraded cabins? They should have the new J product and updated Economy and PE products. It should be reasonably competitive with AA's flight.

The AA 772 is god awful in Y, so I will for sure give my attention to the AF A332.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388

ubeema

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:21 am

UA735WL wrote:
Now for something on-topic: Does anyone know which other AF destination hosted the most connections originating in DFW? I'm wondering if that destination will be greatly affected.

-Jonas :smile:

I have been a DFW resident for 12 years. Between myself and folks who are visiting us from France we average half dozen R/T between DFW and CDG on AF. 5 out of 6 times proposed connections were through ATL. DTW and MSP split the remainder.
Coincidentally my wife flew out today DFW-IAH on AA (separate ticket) then IAH-CDG on AF, tomorrow she is continuing onwards to Africa on AF. To my surprise She told me the flight was booked up at IAH. Today news is great news for us. Hope it is a success less the strikes

Rookie87

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:23 am

747superliner wrote:
Here in Oklahoma City, I've heard many people call Dallas the "Big D", have been for years. After reading it for a second time, the Dallas marketing attempt by AF is not entirely bad, but it is clumsily put together. Whoever was in charge of composing it could have done a much better job than that (and I've been down to the Dallas-Ft. Worth area on multiple occasions). Also, Fort Worth definitely has made a name for itself but I suspect as someone else has pointed out, it gets overlooked/not that well-known, especially outside of the U.S. Kind of like why it's always New York (City) and Newark plays second fiddle to the Big Apple.

Anyway, back on topic, just a passing thought. If AA were to respond, could it use one of its 787s for a second daily summer-only service? I know that's not the priority for the 78's right now but just surmising. Then again it all depends on how strong the demand is for CDG flights to/from DFW. Currently AA has year-round service between DFW and CDG with 772ERs (and I think 763ERs in the slower winter season).

They no longer fly the 767 on that route as far as I’ve seen. It goes between the 772ER and 789.

SNN707

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:23 am

questions wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Located in northern Texas, Dallas is the fourth most populous metropolitan area in the United States. Known as the "Big D", it is home to one of the country's largest industrial centers. Its oil center is the most important but the city is also at the forefront in the telecommunications and banking sectors. In terms of tourism and discovery, Dallas is not just a TV series. It is also the real home of cowboys with ranches and rodeos all over the city. The Big D also attracts visitors with its cultural attractions, including many museums - including the famous 6th Floor Museum in honor of John Fitzgerald Kennedy - galleries and districts dedicated to art as well as parks scattered between the skyscrapers.

Does anyone in Dallas refer to their hometown as The Big D? Or is The Big D to Dallas what Frisco is to San Francisco?

That's like the media calling NOLA "The Big Easy" and we all speak with a Cajun dialect. When in fact no locals call it the BE and many speak a dialect similar to Brooklynese or plain vanilla American English. But rarely Cajun or Southern Country. But the Stereotypes!

Will probably be referenced again when the new MSY airport terminal opens in FEB 2019. Of course alligators will be hanging around baggage claim as well.....

fraspotter

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:25 am

braniff2hav wrote:

“Located” in Fort Worth? It straddles the Dallas and Tarrant county lines and includes portions of the cities of Irving, Grapevine, Coppell and Euless.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

ubeema

CONFIRMED: Air France Announces Dallas-Paris starting 2019

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:25 am

Someone can double check but I believe 789 is operated during the summer on DFW-CDG-DFW since Dreamliner came onboard

stevend08

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:35 am

fraspotter wrote:
braniff2hav wrote:

“Located” in Fort Worth? It straddles the Dallas and Tarrant county lines and includes portions of the cities of Irving, Grapevine, Coppell and Euless.

Fun fact: DFW Airport is its own city with its own zip code.

ro1960

A

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:39 am

fraspotter wrote:

Is it normal to have flight numbers for a turnaround flight be nonconsecutive? Figured if the flight number to DFW was 150 then the return to CDG would either be 149 or 151.

AF has a very illogical flight numbering system. I started a thread about this a while ago:

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1401383

Not the only airline with strange numbering. Look at DL's flight numbers from JFK to CDG : 404. Return flight is: 263.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

ro1960

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:51 am

mfe777 wrote:
Does anyone with a better knowledge of the Air France schedule know if a 10:10am departure on CDG-DFW leaves enough morning connection opportunities on routes like ABC-CDG-DFW? Does AF have a big arrival bank in the morning?

CDG has a 70 minutes connection time for intra terminal flights and 90 minutes between terminals. So all of Skyteam flights arriving before 9:00 am are good candidates for feeding this new route. A quick look at FR24 gives for the 8:00-9:00am slot: ACC, DUS, LIN, MXP, CPH, BOM, TXL, BCN, BLR, OTP, MAD, FLR, GOT, ATH, TLS, GVA, KBP, LED, MRS, NUE, NCE, VCE, BIO, NAP, BUD, FCO, OSL, ARN EDI... not bad.

Plenty of other possibilities from other airlines too.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

alfa164

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:57 am

stevend08 wrote:
fraspotter wrote:
braniff2hav wrote:

Fun fact: DFW Airport is its own city with its own zip code.

Actual fact: It is not its own city; it is located within the city limits of - as fraspotter pointed out - multiple cities.

Not so fun fact: If you get a traffic ticket on DFW property, you will have to go to the court within whichever city the citation was issued.

It does have its own zip code.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

us330

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:35 pm

SNN707 wrote:
questions wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

That's like the media calling NOLA "The Big Easy" and we all speak with a Cajun dialect. When in fact no locals call it the BE and many speak a dialect similar to Brooklynese or plain vanilla American English. But rarely Cajun or Southern Country. But the Stereotypes!

Will probably be referenced again when the new MSY airport terminal opens in FEB 2019. Of course alligators will be hanging around baggage claim as well.....

FWIW, I believe it is Big D, not "the Big D." Minor point, but it drives me crazy. Nobody here ever really uses it, but it's not nearly as abrasive to our ears as Frisco is to San Franciscans.

Coming from a native Dallasite, I bet Betsy Price is having a fit. The rodeos and western heritage are all over in Fort Worth. The Kimball and the Fort Worth Modern Art Museum are better than their Dallas counterparts, which is kind of funny given that Fort Worth is traditionally more blue-collar than Dallas.

Dallas is a great place to live, but there's really not much for a tourist to do here.

trpmb6

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:43 pm

us330 wrote:

FWIW, I believe it is Big D, not "the Big D." Minor point, but it drives me crazy. Nobody here ever really uses it, but it's not nearly as abrasive to our ears as Frisco is to San Franciscans.

Coming from a native Dallasite, I bet Betsy Price is having a fit. The rodeos and western heritage are all over in Fort Worth. The Kimball and the Fort Worth Modern Art Museum are better than their Dallas counterparts, which is kind of funny given that Fort Worth is traditionally more blue-collar than Dallas.

Dallas is a great place to live, but there's really not much for a tourist to do here.

Yup, I think I mentioned the bit about rodeos and western heritage earlier, or it may have been someone else.

I also agree with the tourist comment. I was trying to think of what could really be put in the blurb to entice tourists... and came up empty.. Honestly, the only thing we like to do when visiting DFW anymore is head to Joe T Garcia's. And that's in Fort Worth! :lol:

DFW17L

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:47 pm

I hear "Big D" about as often as, "I'm from Texas...What country are you from?"

aviationjunky

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Planes4you wrote:
1st of all they already fly to SFO.2nd of all they won’t go anywhere near PHX.

Maybe it was OAK then? Somewhere in that region.

And why do you think they wouldn't do PHX?
LAS is Life

LH658

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:46 pm

Any companies we can see using this route?

snasteve

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:48 pm

ScottB wrote:
mfe777 wrote:

There's a ton of stuff that arrives CDG early in the morning; a bunch of DL's flights (which are fed by the AF hub) depart between 10 and 10:30 AM.

mfe777 wrote:
Up to 5 weekly flights starting March 31th for the entire 2019 summer season;

Sort of embarrassing that AF's English-language press release (which should be written by someone with a good command of English) used "March 31th." And not a single mention of Fort Worth in the press release; bet they love that on the other side of the Metroplex.

Isn't that what DFW means anyway, Dallas and Ft. Worth?

LH658

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:49 pm

AF IAH - CDG - XXX route does strong due energy traffic. Low season A330 Peak Season 777. IAH - CDG just tourist, plus Total, Engie, JDF SUEZ, Schlumbger.

JayBCNLON

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:55 pm

I guess since it’s AF it is announcing Paris-Dallas rather than Dallas-Paris ;)

trpmb6

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Serious question, how many people from France travel to the DFW area, or might connect through DFW? The way I see it, the travel will be more lopsided the opposite way, with US based tourists traveling to Paris rather than European based tourists traveling to DFW. I assume most European travelers coming through DFW will likely be for business.

legend500

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:30 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Serious question, how many people from France travel to the DFW area, or might connect through DFW? The way I see it, the travel will be more lopsided the opposite way, with US based tourists traveling to Paris rather than European based tourists traveling to DFW. I assume most European travelers coming through DFW will likely be for business.

Yeah, DFW is not a huge tourist destination given its size - this sort of route will be business, which is why AF will deploy their re-cabined A333s to this DFW-CDG route. I imagine some inquiries by business helped - certainly Airbus Helicopter's plant and new training center helped, as well as Dassault and Essilor's facilities. Still, even business doesn't fully explain this, as France isn't even one of DFW's 10 largest trading partners.

AF's press release is hilarious - the chambers of commerce in area have been trying to get away from the "cows'n'oil" stereotype for a generation now, and undoubtedly some people at Dallas CVB were very unhappy. That, plus the odd exclusion of Ft. Worth, even made it sound like AF was somehow intending to serve DAL - which would be hilarious.

They should do it.

ScottB

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:46 pm

snasteve wrote:
Isn't that what DFW means anyway, Dallas and Ft. Worth?

It does, but I dare you to even find a mention of "DFW" in the press release. One could be forgiven for thinking they were flying to Love Field given that the AF news item only mentions "Dallas."

khinstorff

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:48 pm

I’m wondering if this move signals a small build up of DFW by Delta. I remember there being a lot of discussion about DFW becoming a sizeable base (along with NYC) of A220 flying for the carrier. I’m definitely not saying 150+ departures, but this type of flight could be the start of that plan. Just thinking out loud.

us330

Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:22 am

khinstorff wrote:
I’m wondering if this move signals a small build up of DFW by Delta. I remember there being a lot of discussion about DFW becoming a sizeable base (along with NYC) of A220 flying for the carrier. I’m definitely not saying 150+ departures, but this type of flight could be the start of that plan. Just thinking out loud.

Probably as DFW will now be connected to both DL's transpacific JV partner hub and their transatlantic JV partner hub. I think there will likely be a gradual build-up for DL where DFW becomes an RDU-like operation for them. Not a hub per se but a focus city connected to hubs and strong O&D/corporate markets.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos