HAL
Topic Author
Posts: 1769
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 1:38 am

Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:37 am

Nothing from the company yet, but the BOS airport people are talking. https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/20 ... story.html

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5115
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:09 am

I had heard rumors that HA was looking for a second East Coast destination & Boston is a huge catchment area, WTG HA by finding an un-served non-stop market. Has BOS ever had non-stop service to Hawaii? Maybe UA in the 60's or 70's?
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7
 
HALOGG
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:44 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:28 am

Looks like the company just sent an email internally announcing Boston.


I’m thrilled to announce that Hawaiian Airlines will begin five-day-a-week service to Boston on April 4.

Boston is the largest U.S. market without nonstop service to Hawai‘i. With nearly 500 people flying between eastern New England and the Islands on any given day, it is an obvious opportunity for us to continue our North American growth. Boston-to-Hawaii travel generated about $76 million in airline ticket sales last year, and offering nonstop service to this market will provide us with a competitive advantage. Our JFK service has proven to be immensely popular with New Yorkers and Hawai‘i residents, and we are anticipating similar success with our Boston service.

At 5,095 miles, this becomes the longest regularly scheduled domestic route in U.S. history. We’ll be commemorating our 90th year of operation by designating the HNL-BOS flight with number HA90.

This is an exciting launch that gives us the opportunity to share our Hawaiian hospitality with a vibrant and world-class city.
 
hinckley
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:29 am

RWA380 wrote:
Has BOS ever had non-stop service to Hawaii? Maybe UA in the 60's or 70's?


No. This will be the first BOS-HNL non-stop. Quite a coup and a nice add for BOS.
 
Boof02671
Posts: 471
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:35 am

Plane type?
 
hinckley
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:39 am

Boof02671 wrote:
Plane type?


A330
 
hinckley
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:42 am

Schedule is loaded into HA system:
HA89 BOS-HNL 8:00am - 1:40 pm
HA90 HNL-BOS 1:45pm - 6:00am

Leaving and arriving into Terminal E according to the Globe article.
Last edited by hinckley on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
B752OS
Posts: 1060
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:52 am

hinckley wrote:
Schedule is loaded into HA system:
BOS-HNL 8:00am - 1:40 pm
HNL-BOS 1:45pm - 6:00am

Leaving and arriving into Terminal E according to the Globe article.


That makes sense, was wondering where they were going to go. Makese sense as Terminal E is pretty quite at that time of day and you wouldn't want to have a wide body closing off a gates in say Terminal C during B6's morning rush when they have all of their West Coast planes coming in along with the large outbound schedule they operate at this time.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5115
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 am

hinckley wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Has BOS ever had non-stop service to Hawaii? Maybe UA in the 60's or 70's?


No. This will be the first BOS-HNL non-stop. Quite a coup and a nice add for BOS.


Awesome, come & visit the Hawaiian Islands!

hinckley wrote:
Schedule is loaded into HA system:
BOS-HNL 8:00am - 1:40 pm
HNL-BOS 1:45pm - 6:00am

Leaving and arriving into Terminal E according to the Globe article.


Not much on B6 arriving before that departure out of Logan, but a myriad of options on the return flight out of Honolulu. Good luck HA! I think it'll be a hit.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7
 
hinckley
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:03 am

RWA380 wrote:
Awesome, come & visit the Hawaiian Islands!


I will! I just booked one of their promotional fares for next April. $1776 in F, RT. I flew up front in one of HA's 330s last year, SFO-OGG-SFO. It was a spectacular experience. Certainly equivelent to an international J-class. And fabulous service. I'm very excited about this new add to BOS!
 
johhn14
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:57 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:47 am

Interesting addition! An even more interesting introductory fare - $617
 
B747forever
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:05 am

Congrats to BOS!

hinckley wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Awesome, come & visit the Hawaiian Islands!


I will! I just booked one of their promotional fares for next April. $1776 in F, RT. I flew up front in one of HA's 330s last year, SFO-OGG-SFO. It was a spectacular experience. Certainly equivelent to an international J-class. And fabulous service. I'm very excited about this new add to BOS!


That is a really good price bearing in mind the BOS-HNL flight is scheduled at 11h 40mn and the return at 10h 15mn. Enjoy Hawaii!
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
airbazar
Posts: 8977
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:18 am

johhn14 wrote:
Interesting addition! An even more interesting introductory fare - $617

I just visited the Big Island this past Summer, from BOS. My 3rd trip to the islands. But I'm not sure about flying non-stop in economy if I had that option. This is one of those rare examples where the non-stop fare would have to be cheaper to convince me to spend that much time on a plane with domestic Y soft and hard products. Fares from BOS this past Summer were all around $600 on multiple airlines so a $617 introductory fare to HNL is nothing special.
I wonder how many East Coasters actually choose Oahu as a destination rather than another island which essentially means that a connection in HNL is required. And if I'm connecting, personally I'd rather connect somewhere half way there.
 
77H
Posts: 1152
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:24 am

hinckley wrote:
Schedule is loaded into HA system:
HA89 BOS-HNL 8:00am - 1:40 pm
HA90 HNL-BOS 1:45pm - 6:00am

Leaving and arriving into Terminal E according to the Globe article.


Looking at those times its safe to say they’ll be using two frames for this service? Is that typical of HA’s Mainland flying? Out-and-backs seem the standard for most of the carriers serving Hawaii.

If using 2 frames is abnormal, any insights as to why? The departure time from BOS clearly targets O&D traffic. I can’t imagine B6 has a sizeable arrival bank coming into BOS prior to that? B6 is HA’s only CS partner of note on the mainland. Seems odd they’d choose a departure time that doesn’t take advantage of B6’s BOS hub. Perhaps a sign that the relationship is cooling down? I believe HA’s LGB service is also timed in a way that limits connecting traffic off B6.

77H
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 4235
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:30 am

77H wrote:
hinckley wrote:
If using 2 frames is abnormal, any insights as to why? The departure time from BOS clearly targets O&D traffic. I can’t imagine B6 has a sizeable arrival bank coming into BOS prior to that?


BOS isn't a logical, distance-efficient connecting point for pretty much any U.S. airport xxx-BOS-HNL. This is going to need to rely on BOS O&D traffic.
 
airbazar
Posts: 8977
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:44 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
77H wrote:
hinckley wrote:
If using 2 frames is abnormal, any insights as to why? The departure time from BOS clearly targets O&D traffic. I can’t imagine B6 has a sizeable arrival bank coming into BOS prior to that?


BOS isn't a logical, distance-efficient connecting point for pretty much any U.S. airport xxx-BOS-HNL. This is going to need to rely on BOS O&D traffic.


It's a very similar schedule to JFK. No i don't think this means their relationship is souring :)
An 8am departure for an 11 hour flight is brutal tho. They should push that back to 10am.
 
DoctorVenkman
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:56 am

airbazar wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
77H wrote:


BOS isn't a logical, distance-efficient connecting point for pretty much any U.S. airport xxx-BOS-HNL. This is going to need to rely on BOS O&D traffic.


It's a very similar schedule to JFK. No i don't think this means their relationship is souring :)
An 8am departure for an 11 hour flight is brutal tho. They should push that back to 10am.


I have flown UA's EWR-HNL flight a couple of times which leaves around 8:30am. It's actually kind of nice IMO, especially if you're doing a Saturday - Saturday trip with a redeye back home. It arrives into HNL early afternoon so I have enough time to get to my hotel, unpack, and relax on the beach a bit before dinner. Then I have a coffee with dinner to push me through to ~10pm Hawaiian time.

If the flight left much later then most of the day would be wasted - as it is scheduled right now you get an extra half day in Honolulu.

On the other hand the scheduled return flight is brutal. Ideally it would leave around 5pm HST and arrive ~9am EST so that passengers would have more time in the morning to relax, plus an easier time sleeping. As it stands now I would much rather make a connecting flight through the west coast which departs later.
 
HAL
Topic Author
Posts: 1769
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 1:38 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:18 pm

A little more clarity now from the official HA news release. Five day-a-week service, with alk flights except Friday leaving BOS at 8:55am. Friday is at 8:00am. "Starting with the inaugural flight on April 4, HA90 will depart HNL every day but Tuesday and Wednesday at 1:45 p.m. and arrive at BOS the following morning at 6 a.m. Flight HA91 will depart BOS every day but Wednesday and Thursday at 8:55 a.m., except for Friday flights, which will depart at 8 a.m. The flights will arrive in Hawai'i the same day at 2:35 p.m. and the Friday flight will arrive at 1:40 p.m." https://newsroom.hawaiianairlines.com/r ... a-beantown

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:20 pm

No flatbed = no go.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 13313
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:21 pm

77H wrote:
hinckley wrote:
Schedule is loaded into HA system:
HA89 BOS-HNL 8:00am - 1:40 pm
HA90 HNL-BOS 1:45pm - 6:00am

Leaving and arriving into Terminal E according to the Globe article.


Looking at those times its safe to say they’ll be using two frames for this service? Is that typical of HA’s Mainland flying? Out-and-backs seem the standard for most of the carriers serving Hawaii.

If using 2 frames is abnormal, any insights as to why? The departure time from BOS clearly targets O&D traffic. I can’t imagine B6 has a sizeable arrival bank coming into BOS prior to that? B6 is HA’s only CS partner of note on the mainland. Seems odd they’d choose a departure time that doesn’t take advantage of B6’s BOS hub. Perhaps a sign that the relationship is cooling down? I believe HA’s LGB service is also timed in a way that limits connecting traffic off B6.

77H


It’s really pretty similar to a lot of their west coast flying except that the airplane is in the air longer and turns rather than RONing. HA has big banks arriving from the mainland in HNL (and OGG) late morning and departing early afternoon. The times aren’t bad on the Hawaii end even with a connection.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
HAL
Topic Author
Posts: 1769
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 1:38 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
No flatbed = no go.

HA does have lie-flat seats in business class.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 845
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:31 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
No flatbed = no go.

As per the note, HA has first class flatbed seats.

The flight is longer than TATL flights to LHR, FRA, MUC etc.

It is also a quiet time at Terminal E and I believe barring the BA LHR flight there isn't much going on that time unless EK starts the 2nd flight to DXB.

Good going BOS!
 
airbazar
Posts: 8977
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:32 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
I have flown UA's EWR-HNL flight a couple of times which leaves around 8:30am. It's actually kind of nice IMO, especially if you're doing a Saturday - Saturday trip with a redeye back home. It arrives into HNL early afternoon so I have enough time to get to my hotel, unpack, and relax on the beach a bit before dinner. Then I have a coffee with dinner to push me through to ~10pm Hawaiian time.

I guess it depends on whether you're a morning person and how hard it is for you to get to the airport. Here, an 8am departure means getting up at least at 5am and braving rush hour traffic to get to the airport on time. A 2 hour later departure still gets you into HNL in the mid afternoon. You also can't check-in anywhere before 3-4pm so arriving at 1:30 doesn't really help.

HAL wrote:
A little more clarity now from the official HA news release. Five day-a-week service, with alk flights except Friday leaving BOS at 8:55am. Friday is at 8:00am.

That's a lot better.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 1418
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Perfectly timed for JetBlue connections also.
Congratulations BOS.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4116
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Jetblue must be providing alot of feed for them. JFK, LGB, and now BOS
 
hinckley
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:46 pm

airbazar wrote:
I guess it depends on whether you're a morning person and how hard it is for you to get to the airport. Here, an 8am departure means getting up at least at 5am and braving rush hour traffic to get to the airport on time.


I do a lot of 5 - 7 am departures, so in many respects, 8 is a luxury. But how much does it really matter on a 10+ hour flight? Get up super early, get seated, and close your eyes. The more you can sleep, the shorter the flight is. And being super tired helps getting some sleep. imho.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:07 pm

hinckley wrote:
airbazar wrote:
I guess it depends on whether you're a morning person and how hard it is for you to get to the airport. Here, an 8am departure means getting up at least at 5am and braving rush hour traffic to get to the airport on time.


I do a lot of 5 - 7 am departures, so in many respects, 8 is a luxury. But how much does it really matter on a 10+ hour flight? Get up super early, get seated, and close your eyes. The more you can sleep, the shorter the flight is. And being super tired helps getting some sleep. imho.


Having done LHR/LGW- SFO a number of times which is a similar flight time. It really doesn’t, you are still beat at the end of it, frankly most people going won’t care if they arrive at 1.30 or 3, it’s an adventure and possibly a trip of a lifetime, I know I didn’t care when I got my flights, get up get to the airport and go. If you are a business person maybe it’s a little different, but for regular joe, won’t matter a bit to be honest
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 549
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:10 pm

iyerhari wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
No flatbed = no go.

As per the note, HA has first class flatbed seats.

The flight is longer than TATL flights to LHR, FRA, MUC etc.

It is also a quiet time at Terminal E and I believe barring the BA LHR flight there isn't much going on that time unless EK starts the 2nd flight to DXB.

Good going BOS!


Guaranteed flatbeds? If so, then HA might actually become an option to fly to Asia/Australia via Hawaii...
 
iyerhari
Posts: 845
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
No flatbed = no go.

As per the note, HA has first class flatbed seats.

The flight is longer than TATL flights to LHR, FRA, MUC etc.

It is also a quiet time at Terminal E and I believe barring the BA LHR flight there isn't much going on that time unless EK starts the 2nd flight to DXB.

Good going BOS!


Guaranteed flatbeds? If so, then HA might actually become an option to fly to Asia/Australia via Hawaii...

Well, Asia seems a tough sell correct from BOS considering BOS has a plethora of nonstop destinations already served. Australia and AUK is certainly a good option IMO for sure.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 13313
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:23 pm

airbazar wrote:
DoctorVenkman wrote:
I have flown UA's EWR-HNL flight a couple of times which leaves around 8:30am. It's actually kind of nice IMO, especially if you're doing a Saturday - Saturday trip with a redeye back home. It arrives into HNL early afternoon so I have enough time to get to my hotel, unpack, and relax on the beach a bit before dinner. Then I have a coffee with dinner to push me through to ~10pm Hawaiian time.

I guess it depends on whether you're a morning person and how hard it is for you to get to the airport. Here, an 8am departure means getting up at least at 5am and braving rush hour traffic to get to the airport on time. A 2 hour later departure still gets you into HNL in the mid afternoon. You also can't check-in anywhere before 3-4pm so arriving at 1:30 doesn't really help.


If you are staying anywhere other than Waikiki, the checkin issue isn’t much of an issue. With Hawaii’s seemingly incessantly terrible traffic, I actually prefer arriving either early afternoon or very late.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
DoctorVenkman
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:25 pm

airbazar wrote:
DoctorVenkman wrote:
I have flown UA's EWR-HNL flight a couple of times which leaves around 8:30am. It's actually kind of nice IMO, especially if you're doing a Saturday - Saturday trip with a redeye back home. It arrives into HNL early afternoon so I have enough time to get to my hotel, unpack, and relax on the beach a bit before dinner. Then I have a coffee with dinner to push me through to ~10pm Hawaiian time.

I guess it depends on whether you're a morning person and how hard it is for you to get to the airport. Here, an 8am departure means getting up at least at 5am and braving rush hour traffic to get to the airport on time. A 2 hour later departure still gets you into HNL in the mid afternoon. You also can't check-in anywhere before 3-4pm so arriving at 1:30 doesn't really help.


I've never had to wait for a hotel room when arriving into HNL at 1:30pm. By the time I've gotten my bags, picked up the rental car, and driven to the hotel it's getting close to 3pm. If you push that back 2 hours, you're not arriving to the hotel until 5pm, so you basically have to check in, unpack and go to dinner with no real relaxation in between. IMO that's worth getting up a little earlier to get to the airport.
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 935
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:25 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
No flatbed = no go.

As per the note, HA has first class flatbed seats.

The flight is longer than TATL flights to LHR, FRA, MUC etc.

It is also a quiet time at Terminal E and I believe barring the BA LHR flight there isn't much going on that time unless EK starts the 2nd flight to DXB.

Good going BOS!


Guaranteed flatbeds? If so, then HA might actually become an option to fly to Asia/Australia via Hawaii...


Maybe for rock bottom economy fares, but that’s about it. The routing is longer and if its business travel who wants to be stuck for 11 hrs w a bunch of Hawaii vacations. I’d also guess TPAC connections in HNL are probably lower yield than their Hawaii O&D traffic.
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:47 pm

They better serve complimentary meals on such a long flight. If AA or UA does it, it will be Buy on Board.
 
Kno
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:49 pm

B752OS wrote:
hinckley wrote:
Schedule is loaded into HA system:
BOS-HNL 8:00am - 1:40 pm
HNL-BOS 1:45pm - 6:00am

Leaving and arriving into Terminal E according to the Globe article.


That makes sense, was wondering where they were going to go. Makese sense as Terminal E is pretty quite at that time of day and you wouldn't want to have a wide body closing off a gates in say Terminal C during B6's morning rush when they have all of their West Coast planes coming in along with the large outbound schedule they operate at this time.


It’s too bad I actually prefer terminal C over E but I might be in the minority. They have plenty of gates for the a330 that don’t physically block other gates and considering that C used to be jammed full of 767s I don’t see it being a huge deal so I’d guess it’s just that jetblue needs every gate they can possibly get their hands on for their own jets.

I’m hoping the sales on these new flights last! I can’t book until tonight but I’d certainly like to!
 
jasoncrh
Posts: 638
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:29 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:51 pm

Hawaii is so so so out of the way going to Asia. These flights arent even aligned with their nonstop flights. I guess if you wanted to stay for a day or two in Hawaii on your way to /from Asia this could work.

Dieuwer wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
No flatbed = no go.

As per the note, HA has first class flatbed seats.

The flight is longer than TATL flights to LHR, FRA, MUC etc.

It is also a quiet time at Terminal E and I believe barring the BA LHR flight there isn't much going on that time unless EK starts the 2nd flight to DXB.

Good going BOS!


Guaranteed flatbeds? If so, then HA might actually become an option to fly to Asia/Australia via Hawaii...
 
DaveFly
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:35 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Congratulations to Hawaiian! I have flown the JFK-HNL route four times, and the service makes it worthwhile for me to hike to JFK. EWR is much closer, but HA is superior to UA on the route.
717,727,737,747,757,767,777,787
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42
 
hinckley
Posts: 489
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:08 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Guaranteed flatbeds? If so, then HA might actually become an option to fly to Asia/Australia via Hawaii...


HA's long-haul fleet is made up exclusively of A330s at this point and they all have flat-beds in F. And it's a beautiful hard product. It's really an international J-class seat rather than a domestic F-class.

My first trip down under (in 1989, BOS-ORD-SFO-HNL-AKL-CHC!!) went thru HNL, so it may be a fine connecting point to NZ or Australia, but I don't think the connections times would work well for those destinations.
 
alasizon
Posts: 1485
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
They better serve complimentary meals on such a long flight. If AA or UA does it, it will be Buy on Board.


AA actually offers complimentary meals in Y on their DFW-Hawaii routings so no reason to think that an even longer flight wouldn't be complimentary....

Cubsrule wrote:
If you are staying anywhere other than Waikiki, the checkin issue isn’t much of an issue. With Hawaii’s seemingly incessantly terrible traffic, I actually prefer arriving either early afternoon or very late.

This right here is the problem. The roads were never built to accommodate the hotel rush that happens. Plus if they aren't going to HNL, connecting in HNL to the other islands will put them there right in time to check-in.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7370
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:30 pm

hinckley wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Guaranteed flatbeds? If so, then HA might actually become an option to fly to Asia/Australia via Hawaii...


HA's long-haul fleet is made up exclusively of A330s at this point and they all have flat-beds in F. And it's a beautiful hard product. It's really an international J-class seat rather than a domestic F-class.

My first trip down under (in 1989, BOS-ORD-SFO-HNL-AKL-CHC!!) went thru HNL, so it may be a fine connecting point to NZ or Australia, but I don't think the connections times would work well for those destinations.


It’s perfect for SYD-HNL-BOS (21:40-11:35, 13:45-06:00) but doesn’t connect in the other direction. For Australian passengers looking for a few days vacation on the way home it’s a great option.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
pitbosflyer
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:46 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

BOS isn't a logical, distance-efficient connecting point for pretty much any U.S. airport xxx-BOS-HNL. This is going to need to rely on BOS O&D traffic.


They are going to be able to connect the few destinations that make sense with the early morning flights no problem. They have flights coming in from SYR, BUF, PHL, and PIT around 7. Anything farther away is going to want to connect in the middle of the country or on the west coast.
 
ASA
Posts: 1051
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:53 pm

iyerhari wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
No flatbed = no go.

As per the note, HA has first class flatbed seats.

The flight is longer than TATL flights to LHR, FRA, MUC etc.

It is also a quiet time at Terminal E and I believe barring the BA LHR flight there isn't much going on that time unless EK starts the 2nd flight to DXB.

Good going BOS!


Looks like distance wise it is even further than IST ... :crazy:

I haven't been to Hawaii or HA yet, so I'll probably take this opportunity up ... but otherwise it'll be more tempting to go to exotic and much cheaper :) places around the world!
 
SyracuseAvGeek
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:00 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

BOS isn't a logical, distance-efficient connecting point for pretty much any U.S. airport xxx-BOS-HNL. This is going to need to rely on BOS O&D traffic.


They are going to be able to connect the few destinations that make sense with the early morning flights no problem. They have flights coming in from SYR, BUF, PHL, and PIT around 7. Anything farther away is going to want to connect in the middle of the country or on the west coast.


Love the new connections, can either go JFK of BOS and get Hawaiian.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."
 
User avatar
haynflyer
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:36 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:46 pm

As a Hawaii resident who travels to Boston at least once a year (and who is currently sitting at La Guardia awaiting my flight to Boston as I write this) this is excellent news!

Let's hope the market agrees and makes this route a daily flight.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
 
tphuang
Posts: 2173
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:02 pm

jasoncrh wrote:
Hawaii is so so so out of the way going to Asia. These flights arent even aligned with their nonstop flights. I guess if you wanted to stay for a day or two in Hawaii on your way to /from Asia this could work.

Dieuwer wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
As per the note, HA has first class flatbed seats.

The flight is longer than TATL flights to LHR, FRA, MUC etc.

It is also a quiet time at Terminal E and I believe barring the BA LHR flight there isn't much going on that time unless EK starts the 2nd flight to DXB.

Good going BOS!


Guaranteed flatbeds? If so, then HA might actually become an option to fly to Asia/Australia via Hawaii...


Remember, HA is the only partner you can redeem TrueBlue points on.

So for someone out of BOS with a lot of TrueBlue points, they can certainly use it to redeem on a trip to Asia/Australia via HNL. I don't think it will be a huge number, but there will be some.

And I would imagine they will also rely on feed from morning flights into BOS.
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:03 pm

alasizon wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
They better serve complimentary meals on such a long flight. If AA or UA does it, it will be Buy on Board.


AA actually offers complimentary meals in Y on their DFW-Hawaii routings so no reason to think that an even longer flight wouldn't be complimentary....

Cubsrule wrote:
If you are staying anywhere other than Waikiki, the checkin issue isn’t much of an issue. With Hawaii’s seemingly incessantly terrible traffic, I actually prefer arriving either early afternoon or very late.

This right here is the problem. The roads were never built to accommodate the hotel rush that happens. Plus if they aren't going to HNL, connecting in HNL to the other islands will put them there right in time to check-in.


AA does not serve a meal on ORD to HNL. So sometimes, distance is not a factor.
 
jetbluefan1
Posts: 3186
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:39 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:28 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

BOS isn't a logical, distance-efficient connecting point for pretty much any U.S. airport xxx-BOS-HNL. This is going to need to rely on BOS O&D traffic.


They are going to be able to connect the few destinations that make sense with the early morning flights no problem. They have flights coming in from SYR, BUF, PHL, and PIT around 7. Anything farther away is going to want to connect in the middle of the country or on the west coast.


:checkmark: And you can add DCA to that list, and there could even be some New Yorkers who decide to take the short hop to BOS in case they want a few additional hours in HNL on the inbound or score a better fare vs the JFK flight.

That airside connection between E and C is starting to pay some dividends :bouncy:

tphuang wrote:
jasoncrh wrote:
Hawaii is so so so out of the way going to Asia. These flights arent even aligned with their nonstop flights. I guess if you wanted to stay for a day or two in Hawaii on your way to /from Asia this could work.

Dieuwer wrote:

Guaranteed flatbeds? If so, then HA might actually become an option to fly to Asia/Australia via Hawaii...


Remember, HA is the only partner you can redeem TrueBlue points on.

So for someone out of BOS with a lot of TrueBlue points, they can certainly use it to redeem on a trip to Asia/Australia via HNL. I don't think it will be a huge number, but there will be some.

And I would imagine they will also rely on feed from morning flights into BOS.


Great point. This actually gives B6's BOS corporate clients another great destination to spend their points for their own leisure travel, so even if B6 sees minimum feed opportunities this does further strengthen their position with BOS-based FF's.
 
bzcat
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:41 pm

77H wrote:
hinckley wrote:
Schedule is loaded into HA system:
HA89 BOS-HNL 8:00am - 1:40 pm
HA90 HNL-BOS 1:45pm - 6:00am

Leaving and arriving into Terminal E according to the Globe article.


Looking at those times its safe to say they’ll be using two frames for this service? Is that typical of HA’s Mainland flying? Out-and-backs seem the standard for most of the carriers serving Hawaii.

If using 2 frames is abnormal, any insights as to why? The departure time from BOS clearly targets O&D traffic. I can’t imagine B6 has a sizeable arrival bank coming into BOS prior to that? B6 is HA’s only CS partner of note on the mainland. Seems odd they’d choose a departure time that doesn’t take advantage of B6’s BOS hub. Perhaps a sign that the relationship is cooling down? I believe HA’s LGB service is also timed in a way that limits connecting traffic off B6.

77H


Doesn't look like a 2-frame utilization. The flight is not sitting at HNL all day... It is going out somewhere probably at around 4PM.

So it is a 1.5-frame utilization... a reasonable trade off to get optimized timing for O&D travelers in BOS.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 1582
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:54 pm

The 1:40pm arrival may be geared towards connecting flights out of HNL to other islands as well.

All I can say from my experiences in flying into Hawaii is that the earlier you can get there the better. Getting a couple hours of sleep on the planes goes a long way to adjusting. My first time ever flying into Hawaii my wife and I were so wiped out that we missed our first half day there.
 
TWA902fly
Posts: 2979
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 1999 5:47 am

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
alasizon wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
They better serve complimentary meals on such a long flight. If AA or UA does it, it will be Buy on Board.


AA actually offers complimentary meals in Y on their DFW-Hawaii routings so no reason to think that an even longer flight wouldn't be complimentary....

Cubsrule wrote:
If you are staying anywhere other than Waikiki, the checkin issue isn’t much of an issue. With Hawaii’s seemingly incessantly terrible traffic, I actually prefer arriving either early afternoon or very late.

This right here is the problem. The roads were never built to accommodate the hotel rush that happens. Plus if they aren't going to HNL, connecting in HNL to the other islands will put them there right in time to check-in.


AA does not serve a meal on ORD to HNL. So sometimes, distance is not a factor.


AA also does not fly ORD-HNL, so that's probably why they don't serve a meal on it. The route returns in December of this year, however.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Hawaiian going to BOS

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:10 pm

"Hawaiian said the Boston-Honolulu route will become the longest regularly scheduled domestic route in U.S. history at 5,095 miles."
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/09/1 ... -in-april/

Let's hope HNL/ATL is next. DL fares for lie-flat HNL/ATL at ~$3.5K should be HA's attention.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos