a350lover
Topic Author

Likely new LEVEL destinations

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:24 pm

In the next couple of weeks, some announcements are expected regarding the new routes to be launched by LEVEL (both in ORY and BCN) for the next summer season starting March 19. Apparently, some people in BCN advanced the new A330 to deploy there could potentially arrive earlier than expected in January.

From BCN: Despite NRT being probably the most desired unserved destination from BCN, LEVEL isn't ready yet. The additions would seem to be Westwards: YUL, YYZ, NYC, MIA... CUN, HAV, GIG, SCL? BOG and MEX would be cool too, but seem to be out of A330's possibilities.

From ORY: MRU, RUN, MIA or GIG? So that they could compete face to face with French Blue, Joon...

Any other thoughts?

timberwolf24

Re: Likely new LEVEL destinations

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:31 pm

It would not surprise me that AA ends ORD-CDG and LEVEL takes over with ORD-ORY. Same for ORD-BCN especially if Norwegian starts ORD-BCN.
Living in LA, ORD/MDW will always be home!

wedgetail737

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Maybe SEA is in the running. SEA doesn't have any nonstop service to BCN...or ORY for that matter. Maybe not likely, but anything is possible I guess. Also, SEA doesn't have a ton of room left in terms of gate space, unless they use a remote spot like Norwegian.

SCQ83

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:44 pm

Tourism in Barcelona has been hit this summer due to their secessionist propaganda and multiple attacks to tourists by both local radicals and illegal immigrants:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/10 ... spain-news

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -belt.html

At the same time other urban destinations in Spain like Madrid, Sevilla or Valencia hit all-time record arrivals. But after all Barcelona is not Spain :) (fortunately)

I doubt there is a need for many more destinations in the time being to bring American or Asian tourists to that holiday resort. On the other hand, LEVEL already tried briefly BCN-PUJ and cancelled it. Barcelona is not a major economic center like Madrid or Paris with a wealthy local population base that can support local-targeted long-haul leisure-oriented flights (like CUN, GIG or HAV).

sand26391

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:29 pm

Hope this helps wrt any new routes from BCN.....

SCQ83

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:06 pm

The 4.5 million "unserved" long-haul passengers is pure propaganda and wishful thinking from the regional government.

If those 4.5 million "unserved" PAX were served directly, how many PAX would fly to DXB, DOH or AUH? Or the European hubs? They mention 147.000 PAX "unserved" in BCN-NYC, but how many PAX use JFK/EWR to connect to other destinations?

Complete and utter nonsense, but I wouldn't expect anything else from something called "Barcelona Air Route".

adamh8297

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:46 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
The 4.5 million "unserved" long-haul passengers is pure propaganda and wishful thinking from the regional government.

If those 4.5 million "unserved" PAX were served directly, how many PAX would fly to DXB, DOH or AUH? Or the European hubs? They mention 147.000 PAX "unserved" in BCN-NYC, but how many PAX use JFK/EWR to connect to other destinations?

Complete and utter nonsense, but I wouldn't expect anything else from something called "Barcelona Air Route".

They should have used the term "underserved" but the NYC numbers could be simply passengers who were too cheap for the non-stops or got a cheap one-stop they couldn't pass up! I was shocked at the rise of the BOS-BCN market (over 100 PDEW in 2017) - a legitimate unserved market for the time the data was based.

IAG doesn't want LEVEL competing with AA or IB so maybe its MEX, SCL (do they have right plane?), or even BKK.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

Jouhou

Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:19 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

You seem to underestimate the appeal Barcelona has to US travelers. The U.S. Numbers don't look unreasonable at all, although out of date because I know at least BOS is served and the number cited looks the same as prior to BOS having service.

The issue with Barcelona is the lack of premium PAX which has made carriers reluctant to serve it. That's sort of why level exists now.

vhtje

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:13 pm

timberwolf24 wrote:
It would not surprise me that AA ends ORD-CDG and LEVEL takes over with ORD-ORY. Same for ORD-BCN especially if Norwegian starts ORD-BCN.

Why would anything LEVEL does affect AA, and vice-versa? I know AA is close to LEVEL’s IAG stablemates BA and IB, and has a TATL JV with them, but IAG’s brands operate independently and as far as I know, LEVEL does not participate in the TATL JV with AA.

Therefore, I do not see the connection you’re trying to make...?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

danipawa

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:16 pm

Hope to see PUJ again

NearMiss

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:40 pm

I can see them flying BCN - SCL in a near future.
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Balloonchaser

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:53 am

Does anyone else see LEVEL entering the TNCM (SXM) Market?

spinkid

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:18 am

Balloonchaser wrote:
Does anyone else see LEVEL entering the TNCM (SXM) Market?

I don't think so. Norwegian tried serving the Caribbean form Europe and did not do well.

Someone mentioned the unrest in Barcelona. Its not making the headlines here in the U.S. so that won't be deterring anyone on this side of the Atlantic from visiting.

aemoreira1981

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:30 am

From ORY, I could see LEVEL flying to SXM (it already serves PTP and FDF) and RUN, as well as HAV and SEZ. I also have to wonder if maybe LEVEL might challenge Norwegian head-on with its USA to French Carribbean network in the winter season, as well as Air France head-on year-round on its Caribbean network (Air France has two A320s that fly as far north as ATL) when they have more narrow-bodies transferred. Some of the excess A321LRs due to EI on lease could be redirected to LEVEL.

Depending on how the A321LR figures out, might it be feasible to operate to the French Carribbean in whatever configuration is selected for EI configuration? ORY-CAY is 3830 nmi and French Carribbean islands are in the 3600-3700 nmi range. ORY-CAY may not be legally dispatchable with an alternate, but FDF and PTP could be.

I honestly don't see any expansion from BCN, unless AA were to terminate JFK-BCN and transfer it to Level under the IAG/AA JV.

spinkid

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:54 am

I also wondered if they would compete with Norwegian on the FDF and PTP routes. I forgot that they already have that service. . In looking around on the web site I searched for FDF- BCN and the operator was listed as "Openskies for LEVEL & Vueling"
Newark is listed as "Openskies for LEVEL France"
Boston is listed as "Iberia for LEVEL Spain"

they are still a bit of a patchwork it seems.

3BNBE

Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:20 pm

From ORY, I don't think Réunion administration will let a new airline to start service between Paris and RUN, with French Bee heavily affecting Air Austral by taking 20% of the France-RUN market share. Mauritius has not even approved for French Bee to start service to MRU to protect MK and I don't think they'll let Level do so, except if it is from BCN, with Spain being a potential market for Mauritian tourism, with actually only Evelop operating seasonal flights from Madrid.

LupineChemist

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:24 pm

I wonder if Level would be interested in starting flights from MAD to be able to get connections from IB. Seems like it might be interesting for some low yield destinations like CUN and take on UX directly.

Could even do good to replace some frequencies to Ecuador that's largely VFR to be able to deploy those mainline aircraft on higher yielding routes.

Aisak

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:13 pm

spinkid wrote:
I also wondered if they would compete with Norwegian on the FDF and PTP routes. I forgot that they already have that service. . In looking around on the web site I searched for FDF- BCN and the operator was listed as "Openskies for LEVEL & Vueling"
Newark is listed as "Openskies for LEVEL France"
Boston is listed as "Iberia for LEVEL Spain"

they are still a bit of a patchwork it seems.

Indeed, they seems they have some background (and front-end) re-organization to do. Now Level can be IB 330 at BCN but without the OW benefits, openskies 330 at ORY or Vueling Austria 320. Level as a brand linking 3 different airlines but the service to expect is not standarized.

When you go to flylevel,com there's only mention to the longhaul operation, even on the fleet page. The only mention to the Austria shorthaul operation is justa hug banner taking you to a Vueling sub-site.

Why the VIE base launched as Level instead of Vueling is still unknown. Maybe related to union agreements having all Vueling operation in-house

chepos

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:34 pm

timberwolf24 wrote:

Considering AA has stated multiple times ORD BCN has proven successful, I am not sure why they would transfer the route to Level.
Fly the Flag!!!!

SCQ83

Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:06 am

LupineChemist wrote:
I wonder if Level would be interested in starting flights from MAD to be able to get connections from IB. Seems like it might be interesting for some low yield destinations like CUN and take on UX directly.

Could even do good to replace some frequencies to Ecuador that's largely VFR to be able to deploy those mainline aircraft on higher yielding routes.

LEVEL long-haul at the moment is just a marketing mimic, using Iberia or Open Skies' cost base. What would be Iberia's advantage replacing MAD-UIO with LEVEL? Air France uses JOON because they have lower costs (Iberia Express-like). I can't see any advantage of replacing a well-established brand like Iberia for a "cheaper-looking" brand (LEVEL) with the same cost base. Not to mention, that would be like an earthquake among Iberia's long-haul employees that would fight back.

As for CUN, you named it. It is a low-yield destination that works on 1000 EUR all included 1-week package. Air Europa does that very well. Iberia lacks long-haul planes so there are likely bigger fish to fry.

spinkid

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:54 am

They really should add Vienna, they can offer numerous connections through there. EWR-VIE , certainly places Austrian doesn't serve like FLL, BWI, and BOS

Sydscott

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:27 am

spinkid wrote:
They really should add Vienna, they can offer numerous connections through there. EWR-VIE , certainly places Austrian doesn't serve like FLL, BWI, and BOS

Agree. Strategically Level needs to be a first mover in VIE and stay ahead of the LCC pack there on both short haul and long haul routes. So it makes the most sense to:

- Continue working on the separate AOC for Level long haul so Iberia ceases operating like these;
- Add more A321's and/or A320's into VIE to continue building out Europe services;
- Add long haul aircraft into VIE. For a start OS flies to ORD, MIA and JFK which are all airports that have good AA connectivity.

If IAG is serious about building a hub at VIE the time for them to act is now.

mfe777

Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:09 am

On that graphic, the largest USA market not served to BCN is "Texas" which I guess would be an opportunity for AA or Level to DFW! Since they are both oneworld, they could connect all of TX and surrounding areas via DFW.

spinkid

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:05 am

Speaking of connections in Europe. I got busy playing around their web site and they offer a number of connections but mostly on their FDF-ORY route and a few others to PTP-ORY, some from YUL are bookable one way, but from the U.S. no connections can be found.

I found a great deal in October FDF-ORY for $298 roundtrip.....................I could bookend it with a JFK-FDF for $130 roundtrip...........That is all barebones, but still pretty cheap and if you have time for a Caribbean vacation and Paris vacation.

gatibosgru

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:12 am

I wonder if they'd go after Norwegian at GIG...
@DadCelo

KICT

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:25 am

ORY-MCO?
People are saying. Believe me.

SCQ83

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:58 am

spinkid wrote:

Vienna is also an outlier in Europe being a monopoly of Austrian in TATL routes. No Delta, no American, no Air Transat (not even United or Air Canada!). A major tourism destination and a wealthy local market, it should work for LEVEL TATL to the US/Canada.

a350lover
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:56 am

If LEVEL is first to arrive to the long-haul cake in Vienna, that'll be leading the market. The current short-haul offer there will see soon losers of this battle, so they better find something else to rely on soon. On top of that they could feed part of the long-haul offer, with the current short-haul network. Under the AOC which LEVEL uses for its operations out ot VIE, couldn't they accommodate a long-haul fleet?

EWR, IAD and ORD would be quite realistic and with future from VIE to me.

PatrickZ80

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:50 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Vienna is also an outlier in Europe being a monopoly of Austrian in TATL routes. No Delta, no American, no Air Transat (not even United or Air Canada!). A major tourism destination and a wealthy local market, it should work for LEVEL TATL to the US/Canada.

Air Canada is starting Toronto in spring 2019, but other than that indeed Austrian has a monopoly on TATL flights from Vienna. San Francisco is totally unserved from Vienna and Los Angeles only seasonal. These would make excellent destinations for Level.

Aic97

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:17 pm

a350lover wrote:
In the next couple of weeks, some announcements are expected regarding the new routes to be launched by LEVEL (both in ORY and BCN) for the next summer season starting March 19. Apparently, some people in BCN advanced the new A330 to deploy there could potentially arrive earlier than expected in January.

From BCN: Despite NRT being probably the most desired unserved destination from BCN, LEVEL isn't ready yet. The additions would seem to be Westwards: YUL, YYZ, NYC, MIA... CUN, HAV, GIG, SCL? BOG and MEX would be cool too, but seem to be out of A330's possibilities.

From ORY: MRU, RUN, MIA or GIG? So that they could compete face to face with French Blue, Joon...

Any other thoughts?

I could see HAV from BCN, as Plus Ultra ended it last year

Aic97

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:19 pm

a350lover wrote:

Any other thoughts?

dcajet

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:38 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
I wonder if they'd go after Norwegian at GIG...

They'd have to open a base @ LGW first...
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

whywhyzee

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:11 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
spinkid wrote:

Not the case any longer will AC announcing YYZ-VIE daily on the 789.

pipeafcr

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:17 pm

a350lover wrote:
BOG and MEX would be cool too, but seem to be out of A330's possibilities.

AV has been doing BCN on A330 for well over a decade now without issues, however I believe that BOG isn't the market LEVEL is targeting. They could try CTG
Felipe Carrillo

spinkid

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:36 am

even with AC in the mix, plenty of U.S. cities Level could serve frrom VIE

rgustafson

Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:53 am

What about LAS. Norwegian did very well in LAS but had issues with the heat and their heavy 787's that couldn't take off until the sun went down in the summer. Now they just service LAS in the fall and winter.
RGTWA

SCQ83

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:28 am

whywhyzee wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
spinkid wrote:

Not the case any longer will AC announcing YYZ-VIE daily on the 789.

True :). In any case Air Canada and Austrian will cooperate, so no real competition.

PatrickZ80

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:51 am

dcajet wrote:

No need to, they can fly there from other European bases and funnel the London traffic through there.

a350lover
Topic Author

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:53 am

From BCN both SCL and EWR are on the cards, apparently. Weird since EWR is mainly a Star Alliance territory with limited OneWorld presence (if any).

SCQ83

Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:03 am

I don't see anything weird on BCN-EWR on LEVEL. It is far more logical than LEVEL starting BCN-JFK.

LEVEL is a low-cost carrier that does not intend to connect passengers on other Oneworld carriers. So flying to JFK or EWR is quite irrelevant in that sense. On the other hand:

1) Iberia already flies JFK-BCN with AA (TATL JV)
2) Norwegian already flies EWR-BCN so they would compete with them
3) LEVEL already flies ORY-EWR.

So LEVEL starting BCN-JFK would compete with Iberia (AA) diluting yields and lowering prices. Not very smart. Starting BCN-EWR they compete with Norwegian (and why not, United).

Aic97

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:06 pm

a350lover wrote:
From BCN both SCL and EWR are on the cards, apparently. Weird since EWR is mainly a Star Alliance territory with limited OneWorld presence (if any).

Agree, I think SCL would be a wiser choice given that EWR & JFK are already served from BCN by multiple carriers and SCL is not served.

dcajet

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:15 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

No need to, they can fly there from other European bases and funnel the London traffic through there.

And how would that be directly competing with Norwegian's non stop from LGW to GIG?
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

PatrickZ80

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:59 pm

dcajet wrote:
And how would that be directly competing with Norwegian's non stop from LGW to GIG?

Very simple since most of the traffic is transfer traffic anyway. What does it matter if you transfer in London or in Barcelona for example?

And even for those that do originate in London, they might still compete on price. After all, the whole idea of an LCC is competition on price. A one-stop might be cheaper than a non-stop, so there you got your competition. However as said, for most passengers there's no difference since both options will be one-stop. For example if you live in Copenhagen and you want to go to Buenos Aires you might fly Norwegian Copenhagen - London Gatwick - Buenos Aires or you might fly Level Copenhagen - Barcelona - Buenos Aires. It's basically the same thing, but when Level is cheaper with a transfer in Barcelona that beats Norwegian with a transfer at Gatwick.

andrefranca

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:29 pm

I think they may want to wait presidential elections in Brazil to be over... but I am sure GRU and GIG are a good bet! (Brazilians are price sensitive customers they would take the LCC's in a blink).

PS- and before someone calls me out: now airlines in Brazil can charge for bags/seats/food etc... in the past it wasn't allowed.... and that used to be the "excuse" for LCC's not coming here.
Andre F. :blockhead:

a350lover
Topic Author

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:33 pm

Brazil has certainly one of the most-established low-cost markets in South America, that's for sure.

On the other hand, if we compare connections EU-hub (either BCN or LGW)-GIG, despite Vueling poor reputation from last summer ops, definitely it has a way larger network with over 100 destinations in summer season, and more than 50 in winter. Way above the number of destinations served in Norwegian short-haul in LGW.
Last edited by a350lover on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

a350lover
Topic Author

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:35 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
I don't see anything weird on BCN-EWR on LEVEL. It is far more logical than LEVEL starting BCN-JFK.

LEVEL is a low-cost carrier that does not intend to connect passengers on other Oneworld carriers. So flying to JFK or EWR is quite irrelevant in that sense. On the other hand:

1) Iberia already flies JFK-BCN with AA (TATL JV)
2) Norwegian already flies EWR-BCN so they would compete with them
3) LEVEL already flies ORY-EWR.

So LEVEL starting BCN-JFK would compete with Iberia (AA) diluting yields and lowering prices. Not very smart. Starting BCN-EWR they compete with Norwegian (and why not, United).

You are very right actually...

SCQ83

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:15 pm

andrefranca wrote:
I think they may want to wait presidential elections in Brazil to be over... but I am sure GRU and GIG are a good bet! (Brazilians are price sensitive customers they would take the LCC's in a blink).

Brazil is a not a major market for European tourists, there is a lot of competition (low fares) and local long-haul low-cost carriers (Azul) flying to Europe. Europe-GRU would be extremely dependant on the Brazilian point of sale and as the last few years have shown, Brazil is a very convulse economy, and IAG had to reduce or cut routes altogether. There is no reason why IAG (LEVEL) would enter that market.

andrefranca

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:06 pm

Brazil is a not a major market for European tourists, there is a lot of competition (low fares) and local long-haul low-cost carriers (Azul) flying to Europe. Europe-GRU would be extremely dependant on the Brazilian point of sale and as the last few years have shown, Brazil is a very convulse economy, and IAG had to reduce or cut routes altogether. There is no reason why IAG (LEVEL) would enter that market.

Azul is far from being a LCC carrier, in fact it is so hard to find good prices on them, even when you book early, here if you really want it cheap, you need to keep an eye on TAP or Royal Air Marroc! Aigle azur recently started VCP ORY with very fair prices! but we need more "cheapo" ones or we'll stick to the Argentina-Peru-Chile vacations...
Andre F. :blockhead:

tobsw

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:13 pm

According to catalan newspaper Ara,

Santiago de Chile (SCL)

New York JFK

New LEVEL destinations from Barcelona.

Tomorrow a press conference is taking place in Barcelona.

Source: https://m.ara.cat/economia/Level-Barcel ... 88154.html

TheEuphorian

Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:37 pm

Well:
ORY-HKT

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos