Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BWIAirport
Topic Author

Where can I find market data?

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:22 pm

I am beginning my term project for a marketing course which asks us to develop a new product from (ideally) an existing company and produce a marketing plan for it. My group is leaning towards an NMA, which my professor permits because such an aircraft has not yet been launched. I understand the design is up in the air and even the market for the new aircraft is the subject of debate, but for the sake of this project there is a plenty sufficient case for such an aircraft.
In many forums, especially those discussing new routes, I see many citing data regarding passenger demand between two cities. Where can I find this data? The use of these more concrete numbers will help anchor the marketing campaign.
I have read through the 60-page 797 forum on this site and there is certainly no shortage of articles from many different standpoints, and as aviation is a topic about which I am very passionate, I am excited about this school project.
Thanks for any help in finding this data, and feel free to give you two cents as well!

Apologies if this is in the wrong subforum.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

wrongwayup

Re: Where can I find market data?

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:29 pm

US DOT Form 41 data will give you who's flying what where within the US.

Anything more comprehensive or with more geographical reach is $$$ and usually limited to professionals, e.g.: https://www.diio.net/products/diio-mi/index.html

drdisque

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Here's another way you can look at the market for the aircraft:

The total number of 757's flying transatlantic and from the US to Hawaii and from the US to South America+767's flying transatlantic, North to South America, inter-asia, and short transpacific. That's the market that the NMA is going for. If you can't get to the exact number of frames you can also calculate block hours and back into frames from utilization.

Bobloblaw

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Is there BTS data?

RushmoreAir

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:35 pm

https://www.transportation.gov/policy/a ... are-report

For domestic O&D data, use Table 6 of the consumer airfare report. It shows the bi-directional daily total by metro area, in all markets with at least 10 bidirectional pax/day (or 5 PDEW - passengers daily each way). So remember to divide these by two to make it useful! wrongwayup is right though, for the easy to use comprehensive data, you'd need to pay $$$ for Diio/OAG/DDS or similar.
NW UA DL F9 CO WN LO QF FI AC MU CA EU LH LX DY B6 AA HA NZ MW HU U2 SK AF EK IB HX WS G4 AZ IG 4B

The views and opinions as expressed in this post are entirely my own and are not those of my employer, Hawaiian Airlines, Inc

drdisque

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
Is there BTS data?

BTS data just tracks how many flights operate how many seats they had, how many were full, and when the flight departed and arrived (and if it was delayed, how much). It's also provided in a raw "data dump" and is only domestic.

It notably, is missing O&D data and fares (although fares aren't terribly important for this use).

BWIAirport
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:03 pm

Thanks for the tips!
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

weaglibrium

Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:51 pm

drdisque wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:
Is there BTS data?

BTS data just tracks how many flights operate how many seats they had, how many were full, and when the flight departed and arrived (and if it was delayed, how much). It's also provided in a raw "data dump" and is only domestic.

It notably, is missing O&D data and fares (although fares aren't terribly important for this use).

This is not true. Form 41 Traffic data only includes what you suggest. There are multiple other Form 41 tables, and an entirely different database that includes domestic (public) and international (restricted) O&D data. All of this is maintained by the BTS.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos