Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
gsg013
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Re: UA to Initially Base 787-10 at EWR

Wed May 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Isnt EWR-TLV already a 777W and 777-200ER daily? I could see the 777-200ER being replaced by the Polaris 787-10
 
RainerBoeing777
Posts: 593
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Re: UA to Initially Base 787-10 at EWR

Wed May 09, 2018 11:02 pm

United needs more Dreamliners! more Boeing 787-9 for its transpacific routes, but 787-10 on its transatlantic routes and more boeing 787-8 on its Latin American routes and open new ones in Africa
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG - UA
 
VC10er
Posts: 4321
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: UA to Initially Base 787-10 at EWR

Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:24 pm

Won’t ULH from EWR be the refitted 772? HKG, BOM, Etc, Etc..? Please correct me if I’m wrong but won’t they still have the legs even with 10 abreast in Y?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3852
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: UA to Initially Base 787-10 at EWR

Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:43 pm

VC10er wrote:
Won’t ULH from EWR be the refitted 772? HKG, BOM, Etc, Etc..? Please correct me if I’m wrong but won’t they still have the legs even with 10 abreast in Y?


With 10 abreast in Y, anything TPAC or India likely not doable without major restrictions (outbound to the Orient, inbound from India). Those would have to move to the B77W or the B789. HKG is already at the edge of the B77E's range.
 
wn676
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:33 am

Re: UA to Initially Base 787-10 at EWR

Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:49 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
VC10er wrote:
Won’t ULH from EWR be the refitted 772? HKG, BOM, Etc, Etc..? Please correct me if I’m wrong but won’t they still have the legs even with 10 abreast in Y?


With 10 abreast in Y, anything TPAC or India likely not doable without major restrictions (outbound to the Orient, inbound from India). Those would have to move to the B77W or the B789. HKG is already at the edge of the B77E's range.


Which is why HKG will transition to the 77W, along with a few of the other current ULH 77E routes. The opening of a 787 base in EWR next year gives UA more flexibility to transition other routes to the -9 if necessary.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: UA to Initially Base 787-10 at EWR

Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:07 pm

VC10er wrote:
Won’t ULH from EWR be the refitted 772? HKG, BOM, Etc, Etc..? Please correct me if I’m wrong but won’t they still have the legs even with 10 abreast in Y?


Well, EWR-BOM is probably moving to 77W, starting out with it later in the year.

I believe the 77E's are all capable, though I think HKG could be an issue with 10 abreast? The rest should all be doable.
 
jcwr56
Posts: 1041
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:36 am

Re: UA to Initially Base 787-10 at EWR

Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:26 pm

AMollenhauer9 wrote:
So ORD will be the only UA hub without 787 service. They'll be flying the 767s to ORD until they're falling apart.


For very obvious reasons too. Try gating the 787's at T1 and T5 and the answer becomes apparent, you can't without a massive re-timing exercise to their operations.
 
VC10er
Posts: 4321
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: UA to Initially Base 787-10 at EWR

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:02 am

Are the new Polaris seats heavier per seat than what they are replacing? I would think so after flying in one about 6 times. They seem to have a lot more surface area and bells and whistles. But perhaps the 1-2-1 makes up for it on the 77E?
Or the 1-1-1 on the 767?
Are there actually going to be enough 77W’s to put more at EWR? Or will current 77W routes be switched to 78-10s?
So interesting!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
Okcflyer
Posts: 819
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 11:10 pm

Re: UA to Initially Base 787-10 at EWR

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:26 am

I think the 10Y range case is significantly overblown. Dispatchers familiar with the route have posted figures in the past showing there is even some cargo carried in addition to bags on HKG and DEL. The new config with premium Y is likely a strong product differentiator for the segment. I expect the 77E’s will continue to ply the route after reconfig unless demand (up
front especially) increases enough to fully justify the 77E. The only issues will be during rainy season in DEL due to poor runway drainage. However this effects every carrier and every aircraft model and isn’t any “worse” for the 77E.

I do expect some PW 77E will rotate through EWR after October. These will fly more premium mix routes where the 78J will serve the less premium routes due to the small J cabin. Overall, it’s a killer fleet mix for UA!

With the pull down of 767’s at EWR coming, are there any gate realignments announced yet? Will need to convert some 767 space to full 777/787/A350
 
United1
Posts: 4281
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: UA to Initially Base 787-10 at EWR

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:57 am

Okcflyer wrote:
I think the 10Y range case is significantly overblown. Dispatchers familiar with the route have posted figures in the past showing there is even some cargo carried in addition to bags on HKG and DEL. The new config with premium Y is likely a strong product differentiator for the segment. I expect the 77E’s will continue to ply the route after reconfig unless demand (up
front especially) increases enough to fully justify the 77E. The only issues will be during rainy season in DEL due to poor runway drainage. However this effects every carrier and every aircraft model and isn’t any “worse” for the 77E.



Indeed....we are only talking about a 9 seat difference between the current GE powered 77E configuration and a Polarized/Premium Plused 77E. Worst case scenario you have a 9 seat block until the dispatchers get a little more comfortable with the extra "potential" load.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
User avatar
adambrau
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:44 pm

United to operate 787-10 EWR-Europe and GUM-NRT Summer 2019

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:56 pm

From a UA insider. EWR to 6 markets in Europe - not yet disclosed. Finally UA gets the Dreamliner!!!
JFK Friendly
 
Waterbomber
Posts: 849
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:51 am

Re: United to operate 787-10 EWR-Europe and GUM-NRT Summer 2019

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:02 am

UA was one of the first Dreamliner operators, so I don't get your drift.
Also, its kind of obviois that the - 10 would be used for TATL.
 
Waterbomber
Posts: 849
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:51 am

Re: United to operate 787-10 EWR-Europe and GUM-NRT Summer 2019

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:03 am

UA was one of the first Dreamliner operators, so I don't get your drift.
Also, its kind of obviois that the - 10 would be used for TATL.
 
User avatar
adambrau
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:44 pm

Re: United to operate 787-10 EWR-Europe and GUM-NRT Summer 2019

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:05 am

Waterbomber wrote:
UA was one of the first Dreamliner operators, so I don't get your drift.
Also, its kind of obviois that the - 10 would be used for TATL.


I'm excited because EWR has no Dreamliners as of yet and I live in NYC. Nice to get some new metal to Europe! Better yet - seems like the official announcement is days away...
JFK Friendly
 
jayunited
Posts: 3501
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United to operate 787-10 EWR-Europe and GUM-NRT Summer 2019

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:05 am

I think your title is partially wrong. GUM-NRT will see the return of the domestic 772's not the 787-10s at least that is my understanding of it.
EWR to Europe 6 destinations will be upguaged to the 787-10 and while the GUM-NRT upguage was announce a few months ago my understanding is UA is planning some additional flights between Guam and Japan not that GUM-NRT is going 787-10.
I could be wrong we will have to wait and see, however I don't see UA dedicating a 787-10 to GUM-NRT because that would require UA to route the aircraft to HNL or NRT from one of our hubs here on the mainland and so far I haven't heard or read anything about UA using 787-10s to Hawaii or NRT
Last edited by jayunited on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
 
User avatar
adambrau
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:44 pm

Re: United to operate 787-10 EWR-Europe and GUM-NRT Summer 2019

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:08 am

jayunited wrote:
I think your title is partially wrong. GUM-NRT will see the return of the domestic 772's not the 787-10s at least that is my understanding of it.
EWR to Europe 6 destinations will be upguaged to the 787-10 and while the GUM-NRT upguage was announce a few months ago my understanding is UA is planning some additional flights between Guam and Japan not that GUM-NRT is going 787-10.


You would know better than me. I just saw it from a post on another site from a generally reliable source ;) I don't think I will ever fly NRT-GUM and vv so in any case I am happy the earlier indications of EWR getting a Dreamliner base is becoming true!
JFK Friendly
 
User avatar
adambrau
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:44 pm

Re: United to operate 787-10 EWR-Europe and GUM-NRT Summer 2019

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:13 am

adambrau wrote:
jayunited wrote:
I think your title is partially wrong. GUM-NRT will see the return of the domestic 772's not the 787-10s at least that is my understanding of it.
EWR to Europe 6 destinations will be upguaged to the 787-10 and while the GUM-NRT upguage was announce a few months ago my understanding is UA is planning some additional flights between Guam and Japan not that GUM-NRT is going 787-10.


You would know better than me. I just saw it from a post on another site from a generally reliable source ;) I don't think I will ever fly NRT-GUM and vv so in any case I am happy the earlier indications of EWR getting a Dreamliner base is becoming true!


NOTE - yes jaunted you are right - just re-read the post and it just says increased flights GUM-NRT. Mods feel free to change. Sorry!
JFK Friendly
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3807
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: United to operate 787-10 EWR-Europe and GUM-NRT Summer 2019

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:14 am

Ok Newark to EU/UK I can see, but using it only on GUM-NRT is a no go. You have to staff a base and to operate 1 on limited service route at the cost structure that would need to have a pilot & FA crew base in Guam. They have bases in SFO & adding EWR base. Unless GUAm gets a lot of expansion it isn't happening.

Also just be cause you live in NYC and United has not had a 787 base there does not mean they have never operated it! Check a basic fleet list before posting.

Currently listing 37 in fleet. First 787 was in 2012. 6 years ago.
Last edited by rbavfan on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25403
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United to operate 787-10 EWR-Europe and GUM-NRT Summer 2019

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:15 am

The EWR 787-10 news has been out for several months and discussed.

The GUM news announced internally is that GUM 737 base will need more pilots as it will see add'l Japan flying for S19 as the high-density 777s are rotated away again for peak summer Atlantic flying.
This was also posted in the current UA Network thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1383689
Last edited by LAXintl on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
flyguy84
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Re: United to operate 787-10 EWR-Europe and GUM-NRT Summer 2019

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:15 am

The latest crew resources update from Friday stated that Network Planning are expected to announce the specific routes for the 787-10 prior to the next vacancy bid which is due out mid-October...so we should hear more information on the routing of these aircraft around that time.
SFO
 
User avatar
adambrau
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:44 pm

Re: United to operate 787-10 EWR-Europe and GUM-NRT Summer 2019

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:20 am

rbavfan wrote:
Ok Newark to EU/UK I can see, but using it only on GUM-NRT is a no go. You have to staff a base and to operate 1 on limited service route at the cost structure that would need to have a pilot & FA crew base in Guam. They have bases in SFO & adding EWR base. Unless GUAm gets a lot of expansion it isn't happening.

Also just be cause you live in NYC and United has not had a 787 base there does not mean they have never operated it! Check a basic fleet list before posting.


Where did I say United doesn't operate the 787-8 or 787-9? As a GS UA flyer I am aware of the fleets they use on their international flights. I might not be able to list every version of the 777 they fly, but I know the difference between a Dreamliner and a 763, 764, 777, 757, etc. I didn't know I needed to check my enthusiasm at the door...
JFK Friendly
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3852
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: United to operate 787-10 EWR-Europe and GUM-NRT Summer 2019

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:33 am

I suspect that the B78J might also replace the B764 on EWR-HNL, which would then go HNL-GUM-NRT.

As for other markets, I suspect: LHR, BRU, CDG, FRA, and I can't think of 2 others. However, it should also replace a B772 on TLV (UA85/4) as those seats can definitely be filled.
 
CONTACREW
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: United to operate 787-10 EWR-Europe and GUM-NRT Summer 2019

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:46 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I suspect that the B78J might also replace the B764 on EWR-HNL, which would then go HNL-GUM-NRT.

As for other markets, I suspect: LHR, BRU, CDG, FRA, and I can't think of 2 others. However, it should also replace a B772 on TLV (UA85/4) as those seats can definitely be filled.


GUM wont see any 787 flying nor will EWR-HNL
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call
 
wn676
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:33 am

Re: United to operate 787-10 EWR-Europe and GUM-NRT Summer 2019

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:37 am

[twoid]h[/twoid]
aemoreira1981 wrote:
I suspect that the B78J might also replace the B764 on EWR-HNL, which would then go HNL-GUM-NRT.

As for other markets, I suspect: LHR, BRU, CDG, FRA, and I can't think of 2 others. However, it should also replace a B772 on TLV (UA85/4) as those seats can definitely be filled.


If there are any equipment changes with TLV it will probably be an upgauge to the 77W, not the 78J. Could it even handle a meaningful payload? I would also expect to see the 78J limited to EWR-Europe initially.

These aircraft are coming soon, and I’m kind of surprised we haven’t seen them in the winter schedule yet.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.
 
tpaewr
Posts: 726
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 9:01 am

Re: UA to Initially Base 787-10 at EWR

Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:25 am

I doubt we will see the equipment moving around as much in Oct as some think. The CO 777 and UA 777 will still tend to stay on their legacy hubs due to MX parts and support; even after the F/A groups are merged.
 
User avatar
seabosdca
Posts: 6607
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:33 am

Re: UA to Initially Base 787-10 at EWR

Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:52 am

The 787-10 is going to be quite the competitive advantage in the New York TATL market, especially on routes with high Y demand elasticity. A bunch of Y seats filled at low fares will more than cover the trip cost difference between a 78J and a 764.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos