klm617
Topic Author

Detroit ranked best connection hub in America by J. D. Power

Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:29 am

Detroit has taken 3rd place this year in the J . D. Power customer satisfaction survey behind Las Vegas and Orlando making it the best hub for connections in the USA being Las Vegas and Orlando have no hub operation. Detroit is home to the nub of America's best on time airline with the least amount of canceled flights Delta. Detroit is set up for the most part with on long concourse and nice wide open walk ways with moving sidewalks for hassle free connections. Detroit is also unique in the way it's set up for international to domestic connection. All onward connections are under the same roof no change of terminals or security rescreening if you are connecting from international to domestic. Detroit is a hassle and stress free environment as a hub because of the one long main concourse you don't have to stress about navigating through a terminal with and endless labyrinth of concourses to get to you onward connection. While there is a second concourse most flights operate out of A but even if you depart out of B it's very simple to navigate through this amazing hub. Remember next time you are choosing Delta chose Detroit for you connection as it is number one as far as customer satisfaction. Congrats to Detroit and keep up the good work.

https://www.freep.com/story/travel/mich ... new-cookie
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

TVNWZ

Re: Detroit ranked best connection hub in America by J. D. Power

Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:56 am

I buy this. It’s very easy to change gates via the moving walkways or the Skytrain

ericm2031

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:25 am

I personally love DEN. Although the concourses are long (and getting longer), you can definitely move quickly and even between EVERY airline, it's very easy.

RamblinMan

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:26 am

I believe you're incorrect about no security rescreening when connecting international to domestic, unless you're talking about a flight which precleared at its origin (DUB for instance).

MaverickM11

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:32 am

Uh...who connects in LAS or MCO?
E pur si muove -Galileo

alfa164

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:48 am

RamblinMan wrote:
I believe you're incorrect about no security rescreening when connecting international to domestic, unless you're talking about a flight which precleared at its origin (DUB for instance).

You are correct; no airport in the USA can allow passengers to connect from international flights - unless they pre-cleared - to domestic. It is embarrassing that someone who claims to be DTW's biggest mouthpiece doesn't know this.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

klm617
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:50 am

RamblinMan wrote:

I was talking about TSA screening after you clear customs. Once you clear customs you are cleared onto your connecting flight.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

TonyBurr

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:03 am

klm617 wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:

I was talking about TSA screening after you clear customs. Once you clear customs you are cleared onto your connecting flight.

At IAD when I come from an international flight, I clear Immigration and Customs, and then go right into the TSA screening there. You do not go to the main terminal TSA clearance, it is right after customs. Are you saying this is the only airport which requires re-screening going from International to Domestic?

tlecam

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:18 am

I don't disagree with this. DTW is a great airport to connect through; the trains make it easy to get from gate to gate. I also like the Westin hotel attached to the airport with its own security entrance, and I've used it many times.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

Jshank83

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:26 am

klm617 wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:

I flew AMS-DTW-STL just a few months ago and I had to go through TSA after customs. It was a separate one from other passengers being dropped off at the airport but it still was a TSA screening just the same.

That said DTW is my preference of connecting airport when going to Europe.

NickolayAv

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:27 am

Very deserving! I've only connected there once, but it was a very smooth experience. Very clean and organized terminal as well. Hope they keep it that way.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

ATLFlyer323

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:27 am

I agree with this. As someone now in the midwest I will connect in the winter at DTW ANY DAY over ORD! Overall a better and smoother winter op than I've found at ORD. Anyways congrats DTW, so sad Delta is dropping the direct flight from my town to DTW. :(
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

CapitalAvGeek

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:29 am

I think naming Detroit the best connecting hub from this study is a bit of a stretch. I'm not saying that Detroit is not a good connecting hub, but this study was not ranking best airports to connect in. The study was ranking airports by passenger satisfaction. The six criteria included "terminal facilities; airport accessibility; security check; baggage claim; check-in/baggage check; and food, beverage and retail.." If a study was done ranking connecting hubs, check-in and baggage claim would not been included factors. This might change the ranking of airports compared to this study.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... tion-study
Last edited by CapitalAvGeek on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

RetiredWeasel

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:31 am

Have flow on ICN to DTW many times. Always, always after clearing customs/immigration, I've had to go through another TSA screening to get upstairs to the domestic gates. It is a special screening area for connecting pax, but the damn lines can still get long if you're tail end charlie.

michman

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:02 am

RetiredWeasel wrote:
Have flow on ICN to DTW many times. Always, always after clearing customs/immigration, I've had to go through another TSA screening to get upstairs to the domestic gates. It is a special screening area for connecting pax, but the damn lines can still get long if you're tail end charlie.

You don't have to go through the TSA lines in the customs/immigration area. If it's backed up, just exit the area (follow sign for Detroit bound passengers) and head upstairs (the elevator will be quickest) to the mezzanine or check-in level TSA checkpoints. The check-in level has Clear and TSA Pre-check lanes. There's also the Westin TSA checkpoint which is rarely backed up outside of the mornings.

Cactusjuba

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:13 am

Flew SLC to DTW today. What a terminal! Delta will have some nice terminals in their hubs going forward. Once the new SLC airport is complete in 2024, it will look nearly identical in layout to DTW (Minus the Skytrain). There will be 2 underground tunnels connecting the A & B concourses, compared to the single central tunnel at DTW. Like DTW, SLC will be another DL hub with high amounts of connecting passengers put through a modern, efficient, comfortable airport infrastructure. It'd be nice if more airports followed suit.

Noise

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:25 am

LAS and MCO are definitely connecting hubs. See WN in LAS, B6 in MCO, etc.

ericm2031

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:39 am

I'm not sure if there's confusion or not, but you ALWAYS have to clear TSA after customs if you are connecting...otherwise you'd have a huge breach of security.

jetero

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:47 am

RetiredWeasel wrote:

Of course you do! Because that’s the law at any airport in the U.S.!

Interesting that others think otherwise.

n2dru

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:47 am

Funny DTW McNamara terminal is modeled after an airport the OP despise. A design that has been replicated at DEN and other airports. If it ain't broke don't fix it...hmm?

jetero

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:52 am

n2dru wrote:
Funny DTW McNamara terminal is modeled after an airport the OP despise. A design that has been replicated at DEN and other airports. If it ain't broke don't fix it...hmm?

That’s really a stretch. McNamara was an improvement over the ATL design in many ways, although that’s not a fault of ATL. McNamara did not have the same geographical constraints.

If the competitive landscape at DTW changes quickly, which it did at ATL, DTW’s design is not nearly as accommodating thanks to the 2 separate terminal sites.

n2dru

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:01 am

Ppl tend to hate on ATL however its a design that has proven very efficient for a hub airport and has been replicated at several airports since. Don't get me wrong DTW is a nice airport particularly the McNamara terminal however we can't ignore the fact its a design based on said airport.

jetero

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:09 am

n2dru wrote:
Ppl tend to hate on ATL however its a design that has proven very efficient for a hub airport and has been replicated at several airports since. Don't get me wrong DTW is a nice airport particularly the McNamara terminal however we can't ignore the fact its a design based on said airport.

Sure. It’s an inspired concept that is as much about the runways and the aprons between them as it is the terminal complex. The productivity from that acreage will probably never be replicated again.

But ATL, as it exists today, would never be built again without fitting the existing terminal site on a site 5 times as big, which actually would ruin it. That’s not a bad thing, actually. DEN was ATL on steroids (the state of the art wasn’t advanced nearly as much with DEN as it was ATL) and I’d take ATL over DEN any day.

But calling DTW ATL? Meh. It’s a linear concourse between runways, with a bridge, not train, connection to the terminal and a satellite terminal. If anything it’s a supersized ORD T1.

CFM565A1

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:34 am

I went through there on DL for the first time this July; very impressive and nice!
Flown: C172-M/N/P/R/S , P2006T, PA-34-200T, DH8A/C Been on: B1900D, DH8A/C ERJ-145, CRJ-100/200, DH8D, CRJ-700/705/900, E-175/190, A319/320/321, 737-200/300/400/600/700/800/900ER/M8, MD-82/83, 757-200/300, 767-300, A330-300, 787-9, 777-300ER, F28-4000.

compensateme

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:51 am

n2dru wrote:

Uh, the McNamara Terminal was modeled after (primarily) KIX and ORD T1. The linear design was choosen primarily because of the constraints of the midfield location it was built within. Not that ATL was the first airport to choose a linear design... the design UA conceived at ORD was choosen independently of ATL, based upon the constraints of the field, even though the terminal opened up several years later...

Sometimes facts help.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

usflyer msp

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:10 am

CapitalAvGeek wrote:
I think naming Detroit the best connecting hub from this study is a bit of a stretch. I'm not saying that Detroit is not a good connecting hub, but this study was not ranking best airports to connect in. The study was ranking airports by passenger satisfaction. The six criteria included "terminal facilities; airport accessibility; security check; baggage claim; check-in/baggage check; and food, beverage and retail.." If a study was done ranking connecting hubs, check-in and baggage claim would not been included factors. This might change the ranking of airports compared to this study.

I have to agree with this. DTW is a nice airport but reading "best connecting hub" into the results of this study is a stretch IMHO.

TTailedTiger

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:15 am

jetero wrote:
n2dru wrote:

That’s really a stretch. McNamara was an improvement over the ATL design in many ways, although that’s not a fault of ATL. McNamara did not have the same geographical constraints.

If the competitive landscape at DTW changes quickly, which it did at ATL, DTW’s design is not nearly as accommodating thanks to the 2 separate terminal sites.

While DTW is aesthetically pleasing I would never say it is more functional than ATL. Quite the opposite. ATL has all airlines under the same roof and there are no long walks. You can get from one end of the airport to the other in about ten minutes. Why they didn't connect the A and B/C concourses at DTW by train is a real mystery. But as DL moves more and more flights to larger equipment I could see them consolidating everything to concourse A at DTW. They have already shuttered part of the B/C concourse.

jetero

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:43 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
jetero wrote:
n2dru wrote:

While DTW is aesthetically pleasing I would never say it is more functional than ATL. Quite the opposite. ATL has all airlines under the same roof and there are no long walks. You can get from one end of the airport to the other in about ten minutes. Why they didn't connect the A and B/C concourses at DTW by train is a real mystery. But as DL moves more and more flights to larger equipment I could see them consolidating everything to concourse A at DTW. They have already shuttered part of the B/C concourse.

KLM617, quite ironically, has used the same "under the same roof" label.

ATL does have that simplicity, but the international terminal (not Concourse F alone) ruined that. Why was it ruined? Because the FIS was in Concourse E. And passengers had to recheck their bags.

The concourses in ATL aren't wide enough, they can't accommodate moving walkways, every time you get off a plane you walk into a sea of people, it's just not a great experience.

That said, it's impressive a mid-1970s design still holds up and accommodates way (like, by a factor of 2) more people than it was designed for. It'd never be built again, though.

TTailedTiger wrote:
Why they didn't connect the A and B/C concourses at DTW by train is a real mystery.

It's a mystery to just you! It was a deliberate decision. How many airports have you been to where you get a single-purpose train to carry you 1500 feet? Please list.

It was modeled on ORD, not ATL.

intotheair

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:18 am

usflyer msp wrote:
CapitalAvGeek wrote:

I have to agree with this. DTW is a nice airport but reading "best connecting hub" into the results of this study is a stretch IMHO.

I agree as well. Plus, DEN, DFW, ATL, IAH, and MSP are all within four points of one another in a scale out of 1,000, and DEN is only four points behind DTW. And that's just of the "mega airports." Plenty of airports in the medium and large category exceed the scores of MCO, LAS, and DTW.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

neomax

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:25 am

Yeah ATL is a joke compared to DTW. I'm not even a DTW fan or an ATL hater. There really is nothing to debate here.

axiom

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:40 am

CapitalAvGeek wrote:

I agree. The headline of this thread is not what the study concludes. This is not a factual statement, period. Instead, the results of the survey have been cherry picked to support a claim which boosts the OP'a ego.

That said, I -would- support the claim that DTW is the best connecting airport in the US, based on my personal experience.

RamblinMan

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:50 pm

klm617 wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:

I know precisely what you're talking about and no, you're not correct. Once you clear customs you must also go through TSA screening before going to your connecting flight. You've got your checked luggage in hand during customs, how on earth would you be allowed back into the sterile area without going through security? It's nice that DTW has a separate checkpoint for travelers exiting customs which tends to not have a wait, so its a relatively painless part of the process compared to places like CLT which dump you into the normal queue along with originating pax, but it's TSA screening nonetheless. And DTW is not the only airport to have this feature.

I agree with the earlier post that it's astonishing you don't know this.

*CLT may have changed, I haven't been through there since before the merger.

klm617
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:07 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
klm617 wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:

I know precisely what you're talking about and no, you're not correct. Once you clear customs you must also go through TSA screening before going to your connecting flight. You've got your checked luggage in hand during customs, how on earth would you be allowed back into the sterile area without going through security? It's nice that DTW has a separate checkpoint for travelers exiting customs which tends to not have a wait, so its a relatively painless part of the process compared to places like CLT which dump you into the normal queue along with originating pax, but it's TSA screening nonetheless. And DTW is not the only airport to have this feature.

Thank you very much for this clarification I stand corrected for that error.

micstatic

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:30 pm

I personally think DTW is one of the best looking terminals in the US. I enjoy flying there. The only knock against it is that it doesn't have the same frequency and wealth of destinations as places like ATL.
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90

MIflyer12

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:58 pm

Noise wrote:
LAS and MCO are definitely connecting hubs. See WN in LAS, B6 in MCO, etc.

They are incidental connecting hubs, more reliant on O&D. Compare how many passengers B6 connects at FLL vs. what DL connects at DTW. Not even close...

Yossarian22

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:03 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
klm617 wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:

At CVG you have to clear TSA and recheck you bag post-customs, even if CVG is your final destination!

ual763

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:08 pm

These JD Power awards are way too hard to follow. For example, this year, ORD was ranked the #1 best Connect”ed” hub in America...
From flying to the NOTAM office

FSDan

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:35 pm

ual763 wrote:
These JD Power awards are way too hard to follow. For example, this year, ORD was ranked the #1 best Connect”ed” hub in America...

"Best connected" meaning that ORD has the most different domestic connections possible within a 3-hour window of any airport in the country. I'm understanding that as how many different XXX-ORD-YYY itineraries are possible. Not hard to believe given the number of domestic destinations served by UA and AA from ORD.

I'll agree with others here that while this thread is a pretty significant extrapolation of the survey results, I don't disagree that DTW is a very pleasant place to connect. I just wish there were better views of the runway action from within the terminal!
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

slider

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Can't argue with DTW being near atop this list.

But let's reflect for a minute here: remember when DTW would finish at the bottom of most desirable connect airports? God, old Metro before Midfield was so horrible. They've come a long way. And now it really is wonderful.

One other thing too--since DL has a 20 minute guarantee for bag claim, every time I've checked a bag locally, it's already been waiting by the time I got to claim. And dare I say it (since I loathe the TSA otherwise) I'll give them some credit--the TSA folks there are reasonably polite and checkpoint lines smooth. At least for PreCheck.
Last edited by slider on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LupineChemist

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:00 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
klm617 wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:

CLT has not changed. It's pretty awful.

MaksFly

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:08 pm

Completely agree with DTW. My favorite airport to connect through. Everything is easy and the Sky Club is quite nice.

sinr

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:57 pm

I too agree 100% that DTW is the best connecting hub in the US. I didn't always feel this way back in the NW days before McNamara was built. It was my least favorite hub then. Also, the merger with DL took a lot of the pressure off DTW, making it an even more pleasant facility to connect.

rbavfan

Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:32 pm

klm617 wrote:
Detroit has taken 3rd place this year in the J . D. Power customer satisfaction survey behind Las Vegas and Orlando making it the best hub for connections in the USA being Las Vegas and Orlando have no hub operation. Detroit is home to the nub of America's best on time airline with the least amount of canceled flights Delta. Detroit is set up for the most part with on long concourse and nice wide open walk ways with moving sidewalks for hassle free connections. Detroit is also unique in the way it's set up for international to domestic connection. All onward connections are under the same roof no change of terminals or security rescreening if you are connecting from international to domestic. Detroit is a hassle and stress free environment as a hub because of the one long main concourse you don't have to stress about navigating through a terminal with and endless labyrinth of concourses to get to you onward connection. While there is a second concourse most flights operate out of A but even if you depart out of B it's very simple to navigate through this amazing hub. Remember next time you are choosing Delta chose Detroit for you connection as it is number one as far as customer satisfaction. Congrats to Detroit and keep up the good work.

https://www.freep.com/story/travel/mich ... new-cookie

The servey was done for customer satisfaction overall. You cannot correlate it is ranked the best connection hub when that was not the point of the survey. It could rank 3rd in customer satisfaction which it did & in a questionare about best hubs rank 5th for all you know. You cannot correlate the 2 in any manor. If you knew how suveys were done you would not be tooting this horn of praise.

N649DL

Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:48 pm

DL's DTW hub really is amazing. The terminal hasn't aged at all since 2002.

bhxdtw

Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:57 pm

Used to work at DTW mcnamara..

As stated earlier and just for absolute clarification, once you have your bag and clear customs, general exit is to the left while connections are ahead, you have desks for people requiring to check bags in again, then a TSA line and then the steps upstairs to the terminal.

For the B/C concourse there is the much liked moving walkway connecting them to A with the lighted walls which , to me at least, are rather nice, no need for a train. The walk with the walkway is minimal.

Flighty

Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:11 pm

N649DL wrote:
DL's DTW hub really is amazing. The terminal hasn't aged at all since 2002.

They were really smart to build it when they did. Detroit still has some semblance of being a world class city, which is largely due to the airport.

adambrau

Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:31 pm

CapitalAvGeek wrote:

Agree that the award is of somewhat dubious nature. I am not trying to rile Delta fans but let's face it, America's airports are generally poor on a global level. I've never been to Detroit but I hear good things in general. Let's just not fool ourselves, we don't have any Amsterdam's, Zurich's, Munich's, Singapore's et al in this country. We have more airports that foreigners shudder over having to connect in, like my home airport Newark, and then LaGuardia, JFK, Miami, Dulles in C/D terminals, SFO for it's chronic delays, LAX is like musical chairs and ORD is at best OK. I could go on and on. The couple of times I've been through Atlanta I was amazed at how they process the mass of humanity in a usually efficient way. What else is good? DIA, MSP? IAH has been fine for me. DFW? YVR in Canada is great. SEA I have not been their since my UA LAX to HKG flight had a medical emergency and we diverted there overnight, so I haven't been there in a while! OK rant off.

Congratulations to Detroit!!

Adam
Let's keep the skies friendly.

N292UX

Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:52 pm

Am I the only one here who doesn't mind connecting through IAH? Sure the terminals are somewhat spread out, but they seemed to have pretty good transit systems to get from one to the other. I've connected there 6 times and haven't had a really bad experience yet.

N649DL

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:29 am

N292UX wrote:
Am I the only one here who doesn't mind connecting through IAH? Sure the terminals are somewhat spread out, but they seemed to have pretty good transit systems to get from one to the other. I've connected there 6 times and haven't had a really bad experience yet.

IAH is a very "Blah" airport. Lot's of white walls, lots of corners with few gate areas, a bit of a confusing layout to me. They do have a very nice UA club there though.

Nomadd

Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:33 am

I've parked long term at DTW a few times and they have the best shuttle service I've ever seen. There seems to be a basic attitude of doing things right that's lacking in most U. S. airports.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos