Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcajet
Topic Author

Emirates shelves plans to fly to MEX

Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:10 pm

According to sources in Mexico, the lack of suitable daily slots at MEX have made EK abandon plans to operate a daily DXB-BCN-MEX rotation. Shame; not good news for some competition @ MEX.

http://enelaire.mx/emirates-abandona-pl ... -a-mexico/
Keep calm and wash your hands.

EddieDude

Re: Emirates shelves plans to fly to MEX

Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:46 pm

It was reported yesterday or so by Mexico's Expansión. Apparently three weekly service (which is what the slots they were able to obtain would allow) would result in an unprofitable operation for EK, so they decided to not launch DXB-BCN-MEX.

I wonder if AM will relaunch this flight or not.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

dcajet
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:24 am

EddieDude wrote:
It was reported yesterday or so by Mexico's Expansión. Apparently three weekly service (which is what the slots they were able to obtain would allow) would result in an unprofitable operation for EK, so they decided to not launch DXB-BCN-MEX.

It will be interesting to see what AM's reaction will be. Now, Interjet is said to be in dire financial straits. How about selling a few slots to EK and everyone happy (except AM)? Are airlines able to trade slots at MEX?

klm617

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:56 am

I wonder how much of a role the AM/DL JV had in the Mexican authorities not giving EK what they wanted.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

FA9295

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:02 am

klm617 wrote:
I wonder how much of a role the AM/DL JV had in the Mexican authorities not giving EK what they wanted.

If the media were to question EK about this, they would vehemently deny it, but I have a feeling that DL/AM may have something to do with it...

TheRedBaron

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:12 am

Its a Pity, because I would have changed the Market to Spain forever.... weird enough Turkish just announced Cargo flights to México ... Some things do not add up, but It´s México so anything can happen for no reason at all.

Best Regards
TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

LatinPlane

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:24 am

dcajet wrote:
EddieDude wrote:

It will be interesting to see what AM's reaction will be. Now, Interjet is said to be in dire financial straits. How about selling a few slots to EK and everyone happy (except AM)? Are airlines able to trade slots at MEX?

That's exactly how IB was able to get its 3x daily slot into MEX (on certain days of the week), so it is certainly possible. Don't know why EK didn't go that route if they really wanted to start service to MEX. God knows Interjet is willing due to its poor financial state.
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

RWA380

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:50 am

TheRedBaron wrote:
Its a Pity, because I would have changed the Market to Spain forever.... weird enough Turkish just announced Cargo flights to México ... Some things do not add up, but It´s México so anything can happen for no reason at all.

Best Regards
TRB

Maybe the fact that the Spain market would be changed, is why EK can't get reasonable slot timings from MEX.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

Etheereal

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:24 am

TheRedBaron wrote:

Best Regards
TRB

Of course. Being able to have a great flight experience on an outstanding 77W, and not having to deal with a cramped 346 from iberia? or a hit or mostly miss bad cabin experience on AM? count me in!

santi319

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:56 am

Well a subsidized airline should do the flight from their subsidized country to the other one. It is not a fair practice for airlines that respect their employees and actually have to pay for fuel. Good for MEX and specially AM. They better launch that BCN flight now though...

Etheereal

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:14 am

santi319 wrote:
Well a subsidized airline should do the flight from their subsidized country to the other one. It is not a fair practice for airlines that respect their employees and actually have to pay for fuel. Good for MEX and specially AM. They better launch that BCN flight now though...

?? Do you even know why they're doing the stop on BCN of all places?

santi319

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:20 am

Etheereal wrote:
santi319 wrote:

I understand the flight cannot operate nonstop, so heres an idea, stop in another subsidized country and then it is fair war. Hint: there arent any on the way from DXB to MEX.

Spiderguy252

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:33 am

Etheereal wrote:
Of course. Being able to have a great flight experience on an outstanding 77W, and not having to deal with a cramped 346 from iberia? or a hit or mostly miss bad cabin experience on AM? count me in!

Between a Boeing 777-300ER and an A340-600, I know which one I will choose. Especially if I'm flying Y!
Vahroone

emiratesdriver

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:46 am

As I’ve continued to say, expect plans on new routes to continue to be put on hold or cancelled as the pilot shortage/resignations continues.
Several A380 Captains I know have been rostered in excess of 115hrs flight time for the month of October.

LAXLHR

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:26 am

santi319 wrote:
Etheereal wrote:
santi319 wrote:

I understand the flight cannot operate nonstop, so heres an idea, stop in another subsidized country and then it is fair war. Hint: there arent any on the way from DXB to MEX.

SMH!
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 330s 340s 350 380

Kadish

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:33 am

Etheereal wrote:
TheRedBaron wrote:

Best Regards
TRB

Maybe u should fly again in those 346...totally different from what it was

SCQ83

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:37 am

LAXLHR wrote:
santi319 wrote:
Etheereal wrote:

SMH!

I recall Emirates had rights to fly Dubai-Geneva-Mexico from both the Mexican and Swiss authorities. That would be a completely new route and a new country pair (Mexico-Switzerland) which is currently not operated. Yet they insisted in this BCN thing.

Redwood839

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:36 pm

Kadish wrote:
Etheereal wrote:
TheRedBaron wrote:

Best Regards
TRB

Iberia is still Iberia. Changing your interior doesn't make a difference when your service is still poor (in my opinion). Happily would take EK over IB any day.

DL747400

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:57 pm

klm617 wrote:

FA9295 wrote:
If the media were to question EK about this, they would vehemently deny it, but I have a feeling that DL/AM may have something to do with it...

Hopefully, AM/DL did have something to do with it. I say forget rolling out the proverbial red carpet and instead focus in making life difficult for EK. I would wonder how EK likes a little taste of their own medicine?
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

klm617

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:05 pm

DL747400 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

FA9295 wrote:

Hopefully, AM/DL did have something to do with it. I say forget rolling out the proverbial red carpet and instead focus in making life difficult for EK. I would wonder how EK likes a little taste of their own medicine?

Nothing like killing competition. Where has EK ever made it difficult for DL to enter the UAE market. I'd say Delta should start DXB, AUH and SHJ from ATL, JFK, BOS, LAX and SEA don't think they'd have an issue getting routes to fly there from the UAE government.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

KrustyTheKlown

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:22 pm

No doubt Interjet was willing to sell slots to Emirates, after all they just announced a codeshare partnership.

But the actual transfer of slots may have been blocked by anyone from MEX administrators (with AM/DL influence), EK (reconsidering the route due to pilot shortage) to Interjet's rumored buyer (they announced a few months back they were looking to a investor and their recent move to get rid of their SSJ100 fleet may signal that they are shedding 'troublesome' assets before selling the company).

Kadish

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:21 pm

Redwood839 wrote:
Kadish wrote:
Etheereal wrote:

Iberia is still Iberia. Changing your interior doesn't make a difference when your service is still poor (in my opinion). Happily would take EK over IB any day.

As i said u wud be surprised...nevertheless everybody would take EK over any other airline....

ojjunior

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:34 pm

I'm sorry but slot related or not who in sane mind would fly to that bus station which is MEX?
Did any of you fly to/from MEX airport in recent times?
If EK had a choice and was looking for reasons not to fly somewhere, a single visit to that place would answer it.

dodgers702

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Well lets see what happens. Really taking this with a grain of salt. Remember how first Mexican authorities had denied 5th freedom rights to EK only to know it wasn't not true. It would not surprise me if a couple of days later we see headlines of EK announcing flights to MEX. If not then EK may just wait for the new MEX to open where airport will not be slot restricted.

enilria

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:05 pm

klm617 wrote:
DL747400 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

FA9295 wrote:

Nothing like killing competition. Where has EK ever made it difficult for DL to enter the UAE market. I'd say Delta should start DXB, AUH and SHJ from ATL, JFK, BOS, LAX and SEA don't think they'd have an issue getting routes to fly there from the UAE government.

I think EK is the most laissez faire about competition at its hub of all airlines. I saw somewhere DXB has more airlines than all or nearly all other airports in the world. Meanwhile, ATL has among the least for its size.

santi319

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:37 pm

ojjunior wrote:
I'm sorry but slot related or not who in sane mind would fly to that bus station which is MEX?
If EK had a choice and was looking for reasons not to fly somewhere, a single visit to that place would answer it.

Its still waay better than the likes of EWR or BOS or FLL and MIA......

LatinPlane

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 pm

ojjunior wrote:

The kettle calling to pot black! :point: :rotfl:

dcajet
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:13 pm

ojjunior wrote:

Emirates does not care whether the airports are aesthetically pleasing - or not when they decide where to fly to. They decide based on revenue potential. It is truly a shame that a world class city as Mexico will end up with no direct service to both BCN and DXB - with all the connections that the latter affords.

dz09

Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:40 am

DL747400 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

FA9295 wrote:

what medicine is that? How has EK prevented any airline from operating to the UAE?

dz09

Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:46 am

santi319 wrote:
ojjunior wrote:

Its still waay better than the likes of EWR or BOS or FLL and MIA......

are you serious? EWR is one of the best airports in the world. Very easy airport to get to. very simple and quick security process and you don't have to walk a mile to get to your gate. It is not the fanciest airport for sure and not a mall like many famous airport but it is a very practical airport and you can fly to almost any destination in the world except for Australia directly.

PerfectGriffin

Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:01 am

emiratesdriver wrote:
As I’ve continued to say, expect plans on new routes to continue to be put on hold or cancelled as the pilot shortage/resignations continues.
Several A380 Captains I know have been rostered in excess of 115hrs flight time for the month of October.

This is most likely the reason. EK is even transferring more and more routes to FZ.

dz09

Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:20 am

emiratesdriver wrote:

115 hrs/month? seriously? there isn't a single captain on the planet willing or actually allowed to do that kind of flying time in a month. Pilot shortage/resignations? your post appears to be a subtle hit piece against EK

santi319

Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:05 am

dz09 wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:

115 hrs/month? seriously? there isn't a single captain on the planet willing or actually allowed to do that kind of flying time in a month. Pilot shortage/resignations? your post appears to be a subtle hit piece against EK

Well duh, its slave work, talk to people that fled DXB, are we all gonna also ignore FZ accident a few years ago due to PILOT FATIGUE.

Sometimes the grass looks greener because its FAKE.

LAX772LR

Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:52 am

Spiderguy252 wrote:
Between a Boeing 777-300ER and an A340-600, I know which one I will choose.

"Us too!"

~signed,
the airlines who choose one over the other by a factor of 9-to-1 :razz:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

ghost77

Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:10 am

Everyone here is forgetting the whole picture.

Earlier this year EK had 30 planes grounded, by mid 2018, they had 50 planes grounded, what's the current status?

EK doesn't have pilots!! All are going back home or some others to China!!!

g77

Etheereal

Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:13 pm

Redwood839 wrote:
Kadish wrote:
Etheereal wrote:

Thank god you did get my point. I appreciate it. Iberia will always be iberia, even with their new 359

dz09

Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:24 pm

santi319 wrote:
dz09 wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:

Well duh, its slave work, talk to people that fled DXB, are we all gonna also ignore FZ accident a few years ago due to PILOT FATIGUE.

You're not making any sense!

a BCN-MEX with EK would have been a nice option for the flying public despite all the beef from Delta fanboys against EK (a subject that's been debated to death).

TedToToe

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:13 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

"Uas too!"

~signed,

You've compared airline preferences to passenger preferences. Apples to oranges!

LatinPlane

Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Me thinks AM will have to announce the route now for resumption either early 2019 or Summer at the latest. Otherwise, it does face the risk of another airline more amenable to a 3x per week offer (such as Turkish) to try to swoop in and take the 5th freedom option. AM did leave BCN at the height of the Spanish economic crisis, but times have changed completely. Not only was it hard times, but the flight was operated with restricted 763 aircraft. AM will also get another 789 early next year giving it the flexibility to continue offering 3x daily to MAD in the summer without having to sacrifice its premium business route.

LAX772LR

Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:37 pm

TedToToe wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

"Uas too!"

~signed,

You've compared airline preferences to passenger preferences. Apples to oranges!

Perhaps... but guess which one actually MATTERS. ;)
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

xdlx

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:48 pm

I am not a fanboy for anything, but I saw last SATURDAY while staying at HILTON in TERM 1 BA, AF, KL, IBx2 in addition to all the AM Int'l departures there was plenty of seats to EU, just saying. And if Interjet is running into problems, I have to say no wonder. That SAT more than 20 airplanes where all over the airport not flying anywhere. Perhaps their slow day but it appeared like a lot of hardware not producing anything.

klm617

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:05 pm

dz09 wrote:
santi319 wrote:
dz09 wrote:

You're not making any sense!

a BCN-MEX with EK would have been a nice option for the flying public despite all the beef from Delta fanboys against EK (a subject that's been debated to death).

But you see the market place is no longer about customer choice it's about if you want to fly you fly us and pay our prices or stay home.

worldranger

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:37 pm

dz09 wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:

What you fail to understand is that a recurrent PPC at EK is a total of 18hrs on top of the flying schedule. The legal max per month is 100 then add recurrent which is not legally flying for FDP purposes and hey bingo you can ‘fly’ up to 118 pm. While it’s not all technically flying, the sim is far mosre exhausting, can take place at 3am, lasts 6 hours and for the purposes of safety should be considered as flying.

The regulator however, is run by the same people who run everything. I’ll leave it at that.

What Emirasdriver is stating is inside knowledge and widely practiced at EK -

Further for legal purposes the Co can factor the Augmenting segment of a ULR @ 50% which although flying - considers the bunk time non flying for legal purposes. For 380 guys who fly lots of ULRs - 115 happens regularly due factoring.

EK pilots are flat out and fed up - and leaving in numbers

So you were saying dz09?

dz09

Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:08 am

worldranger wrote:
dz09 wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:

What you fail to understand is that a recurrent PPC at EK is a total of 18hrs on top of the flying schedule. The legal max per month is 100 then add recurrent which is not legally flying for FDP purposes and hey bingo you can ‘fly’ up to 118 pm. While it’s not all technically flying, the sim is far mosre exhausting, can take place at 3am, lasts 6 hours and for the purposes of safety should be considered as flying.

The regulator however, is run by the same people who run everything. I’ll leave it at that.

Further for legal purposes the Co can factor the Augmenting segment of a ULR @ 50% which although flying - considers the bunk time non flying for legal purposes. For 380 guys who fly lots of ULRs - 115 happens regularly due factoring.

So you were saying dz09?

what I was saying is that all what you and your buddy are saying is BS. Emirates, and I'm not a big fan of EK, is a major airline and is not going to subvert international rules and regulations and not even try to play around them. any statistics can be packaged and presented to be purposely misleading. just assume for a minute that EK did not exist. where would that leave consumers flying to that part of the world? like it or not, EK and other middle eastern airlines play an important part in a global network. I am very pro-competition and I can't stand crybabies like Delta and its fanboys. Mexican travelers and even Spanish ones would welcome EK on the BCN-MAD route, I am sure.

eta unknown

Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:11 am

Oh dear... you don't appear to be familiar with how things work in that part of the world (by the way, for the purpose of this response, EK does, in fact, exist). And it's not just flight ops either- the financial line between EK and DNATA is a constantly shifting one.

emiratesdriver

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:29 am

dz09 wrote:
worldranger wrote:
dz09 wrote:

So you were saying dz09?

what I was saying is that all what you and your buddy are saying is BS. Emirates, and I'm not a big fan of EK, is a major airline and is not going to subvert international rules and regulations and not even try to play around them. any statistics can be packaged and presented to be purposely misleading. just assume for a minute that EK did not exist. where would that leave consumers flying to that part of the world? like it or not, EK and other middle eastern airlines play an important part in a global network. I am very pro-competition and I can't stand crybabies like Delta and its fanboys. Mexican travelers and even Spanish ones would welcome EK on the BCN-MAD route, I am sure.

Daz, dont try to pretend to know whats going on at EK, you are merely showing yourself to be ignorant.
For the benefit of the readers here is a de-identified recent A380 Cpts roster.

01 DXB-LGW
02 LGW-DXB
03 Rest Day
04 Day Off
05 DXB-LHR
06 LHR-DXB
07 Day Off
08 Day Off
09 STBY- ULR
10 DXB-AKL
11 Rest Day
13 Rest Day
14 AKL-DXB
15 Day Off
16 Day Off
17 DXB-BOM-DXB
18 DXB-PRG
19 PRG-DXB
20 Day Off
21 Rest Day
22 DXB-KUL
23 KUL-DXB
24 Day Off
25 Day Off
27 DXB-IAH
28 Rest Day

114hrs 25 min in a 28 day block, reduced by factoring to now a "legal" 98hrs as bunk time isnt considered to be flight time.
This 28 day period is why people are leaving, its why there is a shortage of new joiners and its why no one has any clue as to the effect on your body until youve flown a 28 day period like this.
Sadly, this is a typical 380 roster at EK these days.

SCQ83

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:12 am

LatinPlane wrote:
AM did leave BCN at the height of the Spanish economic crisis, but times have changed completely. Not only was it hard times, but the flight was operated with restricted 763 aircraft. AM will also get another 789 early next year giving it the flexibility to continue offering 3x daily to MAD in the summer without having to sacrifice its premium business route.

Maybe Aeromexico could make BCN work now but definitely there is a long list of recent failures in the BCN - LatAm market. Even as recent as this year 2018 with Aerolíneas Argentinas leaving the market.

2012: Aeromexico drops MEX-BCN http://www.europapress.es/economia/noti ... 12345.html

2012: Iberia drops BCN-GRU https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2012/

2016: Singapore Airlines drops BCN-GRU https://elpais.com/ccaa/2016/06/16/cata ... 19928.html

2018: LEVEL drops BCN-PUJ https://www.arecoa.com/aerolineas/2017/ ... barcelona/

2018: Aerolineas drops EZE-BCN https://elpais.com/ccaa/2017/11/30/cata ... 70538.html

abrelosojos

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:15 pm

If the AM management is as good as I think it is, it will announce BCN soon again. They took a hard line against government subsidies of EK, and now it will be seem what they do.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

Kadish

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:53 pm

abrelosojos wrote:
If the AM management is as good as I think it is, it will announce BCN soon again. They took a hard line against government subsidies of EK, and now it will be seem what they do.

Saludos,
Alex

Saying a wish or are just facts that u want to share...
I dont have a clue but im sure that it the route hasnt been opened already it is because the dont believe they will make any profit..On the contrary MÁD has been increased despite of IB flying17 weekly

PerfectGriffin

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:57 pm

Kadish wrote:
abrelosojos wrote:

Saludos,
Alex

Saying a wish or are just facts that u want to share...
I dont have a clue but im sure that it the route hasnt been opened already it is because the dont believe they will make any profit..On the contrary MÁD has been increased despite of IB flying17 weekly

I'm not aware of the dynamics and economics of Spain, but I find it astonishing that MAD has so much demand and yet airlines can't make BCN work... Having been to Barcelona before, surely tourist demand is enough to sustain one daily flight?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos