gaystudpilot
Topic Author

$10 Billion JFK Airport Renovation

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:30 pm

Light on details, apparently forthcoming “in the coming weeks.”

From the article:

The plan is expected to provide upgrades to John F. Kennedy International Airport, in Queens, including new roads for motorists, improved taxiways for aircraft and a modern, more consolidated terminal layout.

But it won’t include one element that planners say is essential to handling rising demand in the coming decades: a new runway.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/10-billion ... listb_pos4

questions

Re: $10 Billion JFK Airport Renovation

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:05 pm

This article is from Jan 2017. Not sure what has transpired since.

https://www.archdaily.com/803063/new-yo ... fk-airport

The illustrations in the above link depict an addition to T1; a new terminal between the current T5 and T8; and re-designed T8 concourses.

RichardWelling

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:19 pm

I tried the usual googling the article trick but it seems to not be working for me. Can anybody copy and paste the article?

rj1385

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:15 am

I googled it and was able to read the entire article from the Wall Street journal that was posted. Said more info will be released in the coming weeks. It is not the same article from post 2. I cannot imagine a rebuild like LGA. I would assume three terminals basically. 1 to 4 will be demolished and rebuilt with exception of head house on 4. Terminal 5 will be built over and 7 demolished and American's terminal 8 will be built out and completed. This will simplify it. I think too much money for and entire rebuild and don't think the airlines will go for it after the investments from American, jetBlue and Delta.

Begues

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:03 am

The Second Avenue Subway in its complete extension will be opend before a new runway is built anywhere in New York, in fact planes will probably have been replaced by vertical take off and landing crafts by the time a new runway is politically possible.

idlewild

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:34 am

From what I understand, all of JFK would have to be leveled and a clean sheet design implemented. Otherwise, and I'm no urban planner, I would fill in Thurston Basin/Head of Bay and lay down a runway from Rockaway Blvd barreling through Meadowmere to Bayswater. Or, at least the general area. The state & fed can claim that a bigger tax role will supplement the 'poorer' areas of Long Island and the Rockaways.

questions

Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:08 pm

rj1385 wrote:
I googled it and was able to read the entire article from the Wall Street journal that was posted. Said more info will be released in the coming weeks. It is not the same article from post 2. I cannot imagine a rebuild like LGA. I would assume three terminals basically. 1 to 4 will be demolished and rebuilt with exception of head house on 4. Terminal 5 will be built over and 7 demolished and American's terminal 8 will be built out and completed. This will simplify it. I think too much money for and entire rebuild and don't think the airlines will go for it after the investments from American, jetBlue and Delta.

I doubt T1-T4 will be demolished. More likely, T4A will be extended as originally planned. This will be the new Terminal Two.

T2 will be demolished. T1 will be reconfigured and a new concourse will be added. This will be the new Terminal One.

T5 will be renamed Terminal Three.

T7 will be demolished and a new terminal built. This will be the new Terminal Four.

The build out of T8, informed by the original plan, will be completed. This will be the new Terminal Five.

New roads to facilitate the flow of traffic. New taxiways to align with the new terminal layouts. This sounds like $10B in New York dollars.

I agree that it will not be a rebuild. Evolutionary not revolutionary.

william

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:47 pm

william

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:50 pm

jfklganyc

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:58 pm

Is it lost on anyone over 25 yo that the last $10 billion dollar JFK redo only ended with the completion of the T4 Delta expansion less than a decade ago?

That 20 year program included a new tower, airtrain (maxed out), new roadway system (maxed out), T1 (maxed out), T5, expanded T7 (beyond maxed out) and and unfinished PAAlace at T8 and a bunch of new garages

airliner371

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:04 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Is it lost on anyone over 25 yo that the last $10 billion dollar JFK redo only ended with the completion of the T4 Delta expansion less than a decade ago?

That 20 year program included a new tower, airtrain (maxed out), new roadway system (maxed out), T1 (maxed out), T5, expanded T7 (beyond maxed out) and and unfinished PAAlace at T8 and a bunch of new garages

And where would we be without that $10 billion expansion?

questions

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:46 pm

airliner371 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Still dodging birds and rain buckets in T3...

tphuang

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:55 pm

that air train got be the greatest thing for air travelers out of NYC.

Bradin

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:29 am

william wrote:
https://www.6sqft.com/despite-growing-demand-the-10b-overhaul-of-jfk-airport-does-not-include-a-new-runway/

Not sure what terminal this is

Great find. Based on the rendering and in my humble opinion, it does not solve a lot of the issues such as space inefficiencies and movement restrictions. If they are going to be spending that much money to just build out existing architecture, they may as well raze the buildings and install a DFW, or ATL terminal and movement pattern to maximize traffic moving from point A to point B in an efficient and effective manner.

JFK is in a similar position as LHR was a few years ago. They may have to take a LHR approach and build in multiple efficient phases to maintain operations and push the airport towards the future.

RichardWelling

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:45 am

I believe the intial plan is to build this in phases. The PA are definitely learning from the LGA redevelopement project on how to build an airport while its fully operational.

I am interested to see how this will pan out amongst the various airlines. I also expect to see some terminals to be full at the gils while the first terminal will be rebuilt.

questions

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:32 am

Bradin wrote:
Great find.

The illustration is from the Jan 2017 article linked in post #2 and reused in the Sep 2018 article.

The five terminal layout makes sense. The complete rebuild of T8 concourses makes less sense. Why redesign and rebuild vs finish what was started and perhaps slightly modify based on what’s now known about future needs?

Bradin

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:35 am

questions wrote:
Bradin wrote:
Great find.

The illustration is from the Jan 2017 article linked in post #2 and reused in the Sep 2018 article.

The five terminal layout makes sense. The complete rebuild of T8 concourses makes less sense. Why redesign and rebuild vs finish what was started and perhaps slightly modify based on what’s now known about future needs?

I was aware it was from 2017 because I looked at the URL of the image when I first considered it. To that end, it was why I said based on that rendering, and not based on the current plan.

The five terminal plan makes sense on paper and from an accounting perspective, but operationally, it doesn't make sense. It doesn't address constraints on traffic patterns such as the ones we hear when Kennedy Steve was running ground at JFK playing shuffling my planes all over the place trying to get planes in and out or the extremely painful long trips around the airport trying to queue for certain runways..

questions

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:56 am

Bradin wrote:
I was aware it was from 2017 because I looked at the URL of the image when I first considered it. To that end, it was why I said based on that rendering, and not based on the current plan.

Sorry that was meant to be a general clarification for all not an attack on you. :)

Geoff1947

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:21 am

More state aid for the US aviation sector then !!

jfklganyc

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:44 am

Bradin wrote:
william wrote:
https://www.6sqft.com/despite-growing-demand-the-10b-overhaul-of-jfk-airport-does-not-include-a-new-runway/

Great find. Based on the rendering and in my humble opinion, it does not solve a lot of the issues such as space inefficiencies and movement restrictions. If they are going to be spending that much money to just build out existing architecture, they may as well raze the buildings and install a DFW, or ATL terminal and movement pattern to maximize traffic moving from point A to point B in an efficient and effective manner.

JFK is in a similar position as LHR was a few years ago. They may have to take a LHR approach and build in multiple efficient phases to maintain operations and push the airport towards the future.

Atlanta terminal okay.

DFW has been trying to get past the shortfalls of the horseshoe terminals for decades...that layout isnt the envy of anyone...not even MCI!

evank516

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:21 pm

Could they please just stay focused on LaGuardia before they start butchering JFK? Please?

washingtonflyer

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:28 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

DFW has been trying to get past the shortfalls of the horseshoe terminals for decades...that layout isnt the envy of anyone...not even MCI!

Luckily unlike MCI the DFW terminals are wide enough such that you can have a security check point that serves the entire terminal as opposed to four gates at MCI. The skylink moves you around pretty quickly to boot!

idlewild

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:53 pm

evank516 wrote:
Could they please just stay focused on LaGuardia before they start butchering JFK? Please?

JFK was butchered in '85 when Gov. MARIO Cuomo brown nosed the construction unions and not only destroyed a lovely small meadow with the three cathedrals, but laid down that awful, awful, tangled spaghetti plate of new roadways to the terminals to replace said meadow and cathedrals. Now, I'm no urban planner, but something tells me that maybe an elevated roadway hugging the terminals, along with a parallel light roadway, would have been more effective and preserve the beautiful meadow. Just sayin'.

evank516

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:07 pm

idlewild wrote:
evank516 wrote:

JFK was butchered in '85 when Gov. MARIO Cuomo brown nosed the construction unions and not only destroyed a lovely small meadow with the three cathedrals, but laid down that awful, awful, tangled spaghetti plate of new roadways to the terminals to replace said meadow and cathedrals. Now, I'm no urban planner, but something tells me that maybe an elevated roadway hugging the terminals, along with a parallel light roadway, would have been more effective and preserve the beautiful meadow. Just sayin'.

Sure, do whatever you want. Just finish LaGuardia first.

PHLCVGAMTK

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:50 pm

questions wrote:
Bradin wrote:
Great find.

At some point, the Oneworld alliance needs multiple A380-compatible gates, whether that's at today's T7 or T8. Even if IAG decides that the 777X is BA's longhaul Plane of the Future to replace the 744 fleet, that probably means the A380s cascading down to shorter routes like LHR-JFK to take maximum advantage of the 777X's presumptively-better fuel efficiency, in much the same way that BA's 744s today are concentrated on US East Coast routes. In the specific case of JFK, that's constrained by gates, and the overall inefficiency to the JV by having BA and AA in separate, albeit adjacent, terminals.

dfdubflyer

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:50 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Bradin wrote:
william wrote:

Atlanta terminal okay.

I absolutely adore our horseshoe terminals. I can be from my car through security and at the gate in less than five minutes reliably. ATL is great for connections but their security lines suck for O&D passengers.

Airlinerdude

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:36 pm

PHLCVGAMTK wrote:
questions wrote:
Bradin wrote:
Great find.

At some point, the Oneworld alliance needs multiple A380-compatible gates, whether that's at today's T7 or T8. Even if IAG decides that the 777X is BA's longhaul Plane of the Future to replace the 744 fleet, that probably means the A380s cascading down to shorter routes like LHR-JFK to take maximum advantage of the 777X's presumptively-better fuel efficiency, in much the same way that BA's 744s today are concentrated on US East Coast routes. In the specific case of JFK, that's constrained by gates, and the overall inefficiency to the JV by having BA and AA in separate, albeit adjacent, terminals.

I've only flown out of JFK a handful of times, so pardon my ignorance, but how come T7 can't be made to accommodate the 380? It looks like a little big of jigging with gates 9, 10, 11, and 12 would be easy enough to fit in a few A380 gates. Perhaps that would mean getting rid of one of the gates, but surely it would be worth it to enable 380 operations to replace the 747s.

I don't buy that BA will simply replace the 747s on this route with 350s or 777-9s given that it would mean decreasing the number of seats on offer on this route.

Revelation

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:08 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:
I don't buy that BA will simply replace the 747s on this route with 350s or 777-9s given that it would mean decreasing the number of seats on offer on this route.

BA makes money on LHR-JFK from its premium customers, not by adding seats.

Right now the 744s are great for the route because they have room for big premium cabins and because they're paid for.

I think A3510 or 779 would be great replacements.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

MIflyer12

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:09 pm

RichardWelling wrote:
I tried the usual googling the article trick but it seems to not be working for me. Can anybody copy and paste the article?

Not lawfully under U.S. copyright law, no.

Airlinerdude

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:25 pm

Revelation wrote:
Airlinerdude wrote:

BA makes money on LHR-JFK from its premium customers, not by adding seats.

Right now the 744s are great for the route because they have room for big premium cabins and because they're paid for.

I think A3510 or 779 would be great replacements.

Exactly - so down gauging to a 35K or 779 will only lead to a reduction in premium seats. That is unless we see a sub-fleet of very low density 35Ks and 779s which is not something I've heard.

danj555

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:36 pm

What if an airport just shut down during construction. Like LGA. If you look at the construction calendar through all the different phases it extends to a decade. Thats 10 years and hundreds of millions of passengers negatively impacted over that span.

Why not shut the airport entirely for 2 years and let the construction teams go mad taking over the airport doing everything as efficiently as possible. Then by 2020 on the dot we get an amazing facility that the other two NYC airports wish they had.

Revelation

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:42 pm

danj555 wrote:
What if an airport just shut down during construction. Like LGA. If you look at the construction calendar through all the different phases it extends to a decade. Thats 10 years and hundreds of millions of passengers negatively impacted over that span.

Why not shut the airport entirely for 2 years and let the construction teams go mad taking over the airport doing everything as efficiently as possible. Then by 2020 on the dot we get an amazing facility that the other two NYC airports wish they had.

Not necessarily -- see BER for an example of what can go wrong.

Besides, the other area airports could not handle the additional traffic.

neomax

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:43 pm

questions wrote:
airliner371 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Still dodging birds and rain buckets in T3...

I laughed way too hard at this

Bradin

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:41 am

danj555 wrote:

There are always delays, unexpected issues, litigation, etc. Life happens and things become complicated. Too many things that can and will go wrong.

fraspotter

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:09 am

washingtonflyer wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Luckily unlike MCI the DFW terminals are wide enough such that you can have a security check point that serves the entire terminal as opposed to four gates at MCI. The skylink moves you around pretty quickly to boot!

I agree. I flew into MCI for the first time last month on WN and was far from impressed. No where else have I seen a post security setup like MCI with that ridiculously cramped area with walkways and gate waiting areas all crammed together.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

jfklganyc

B6 selected to rebuilt T6/T7 at JFK

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:08 pm

Press Release coming...

JetBlue will develop a new terminal at the T6/T7 site with 19 narrow body gates (12 widebody)

Complex will be connected to T5

evank516

Re: B6 selected to rebuilt T6/T7 at JFK

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Not surprised. Especially after they seem to be renewing their commitment to growth at JFK. Still think slots are going away there?

UAEflyer

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:15 pm

Wouldn’t be surprised if they will do with association with EK and make 2 gates A380 compatible

tinpusher007

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:37 pm

Hmmm....what will BA have to say about this since they have plans to modernize T7???
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

sargester

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:38 pm

tinpusher007 wrote:
Hmmm....what will BA have to say about this since they have plans to modernize T7???

"knock knock AA, got room on the couch in Terminal 8?"

tinpusher007

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:47 pm

sargester wrote:
tinpusher007 wrote:

Im aware of that but my point is that BA has already announced plans for T7 and to my knowledge has not announced any plans to move into T8 with AA.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

casinterest

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:49 pm

tinpusher007 wrote:

I don' think T7 is involved. I think they are using the space between 7 and 5.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Kno

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:53 pm

Good riddence T7 is disgusting and a sorry excuse for a terminal. I’d literally prefer the port authority bus station and it is no place to spend your time before a flight considering most departing from there are 6-16 hours long.

Forget the renovations that place is beyound repair tear it down ASAP and build something new.

evanb

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:55 pm

tinpusher007 wrote:

BA's lease expires in 2022. If B6 made a more competitive bid then so be it. They'll have to find space elsewhere for their operations like anyone else.

sargester

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:02 pm

tinpusher007 wrote:
sargester wrote:
tinpusher007 wrote:

Im aware of that but my point is that BA has already announced plans for T7 and to my knowledge has not announced any plans to move into T8 with AA.

Cuomo sees it a bit differently than how the airlines want it, he just wants a more simplified version of JFK... Oneworld under one roof should be how it is

tphuang

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:03 pm

not a surprise that AA's late and weak T7 + T8 proposal didn't get picked. JetBlue is the big winner here. AA will be stuck with T8. They can always build out more if they want to. I wonder how the rest of the airport will look like.

jfklganyc

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:10 pm

BA/AA put in a T7 bid. B6 won. This is for both T6 and T7.

Obviously, with NYS governor picking, he gives preference to B6 and DL because of their commitments to NYS.

AA has been shrinking their NYS footprint in recent years.

BA will become a B6 tenant in new T7 or look elsewhere.

There is plenty of room in T8 even without a full build out.

AA is down to 80 or so flights for 36 gates.

A good chunk of those are Eagle flights in the RJ area.

BA can move their 10 flights over tomorrow with minimal movement of planes to hardstands while not boarding

Revelation

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:12 pm

sargester wrote:
tinpusher007 wrote:
sargester wrote:

Cuomo sees it a bit differently than how the airlines want it, he just wants a more simplified version of JFK... Oneworld under one roof should be how it is

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/3946 ... k-airport/ (from July 2017) says:

JetBlue’s new Terminal 6 would connect to its existing space at Terminal 5 and is slated to open in 2020, according to Crain’s New York. According to a statement, the airline is also looking to expand into Terminal 7, which currently houses British Airways, in the future.

so it seems T7 is at least penciled into the plans.

EDIT: https://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/2 ... -of-the-ai (also from 2017) says:

Steve Priest, the chief financial officer for the Long Island City-based carrier, raised the possibility of an additional expansion phase with Crain’s that could see the $7.7 billion company redeveloping Terminal 7, currently occupied by British Airways. The lease for that facility expires in 2022, and could give JetBlue the option to hold a third terminal space around 2025. The Terminal 7 redevelopment was speculative and would depend on upcoming negotiations with British Airways and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the airport, Priest said.

So maybe those negotiations have concluded?

fbgdavidson

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:16 pm

My view on this is fairly straightforward and unchanged since they announced the big JFK plan last year. Build out T8 to its original, planned size. (see below and you'll see that T8 is only half the size). Then move all the T7 tenants over to T8, knock down T7 and rebuild it with this plan.

"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

superjeff

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:35 pm

is there a way to build an airside tunnel (maybe with moving walkways, like at United's facility at ORD) between T-7 and T-8?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos