Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
evank516
Topic Author
Posts: 2194
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

AA Announces PHL-MLB

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:29 pm

Looks like AA's starting PHL-MLB on February 16, 2019. Aircraft is the E175 and will operate Saturday only:

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news ... 384524002/

Surprised not to see PHL-DAB added with it.
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Really aggressive expansion from AA and the ULCC (NK, F9) to Florida recently also a flight PHL-MBJ from F9. Interesting if to seethe ULCC can beat out AA.
 
evank516
Topic Author
Posts: 2194
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:59 pm

Yeah, lots of new Philly flights lately. Hopefully they all perform well.
 
Gsasala
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:51 pm

evank516 wrote:
Looks like AA's starting PHL-MLB on February 16, 2019. Aircraft is the E175 and will operate Saturday only:

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news ... 384524002/

Surprised not to see PHL-DAB added with it.

I hope they add DAB, since it seems like Orlando is a hot spot for them since they operate an A330 somedays, I also hate going through Charlotte
 
evank516
Topic Author
Posts: 2194
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Gsasala wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Looks like AA's starting PHL-MLB on February 16, 2019. Aircraft is the E175 and will operate Saturday only:

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news ... 384524002/

Surprised not to see PHL-DAB added with it.

I hope they add DAB, since it seems like Orlando is a hot spot for them since they operate an A330 somedays, I also hate going through Charlotte


It wouldn't surprise me to see PHL-DAB. US flew it in the 90s: http://www.departedflights.com/DAB95p1.html

The only argument against PHL-DAB is the fact that they have JFK-DAB on B6 while MLB has nothing to the Northeast. PHL isn't as high demand as NYC or BOS, but I think it's up there and considering the amount of connections available I would consider it viable.
 
USPIT10L
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:24 am

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:44 pm

Don't forget CO flew EWRDAB and EWRMLB with 735s until 9/11, so there is a steady history of service to the Northeast outside of US Airways or Delta.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!
 
MIAFLLPBIFlyer
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:48 pm

USPIT10L wrote:
Don't forget CO flew EWRDAB and EWRMLB with 735s until 9/11, so there is a steady history of service to the Northeast outside of US Airways or Delta.

MLB also briefly had service to DCA on NK either prior to 9/11 or just after.
I also think going way back NA and then PA had a MLB-JFK or LGA flight.
 
User avatar
PKK33316
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:19 am

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:10 pm

evank516 wrote:
Yeah, lots of new Philly flights lately. Hopefully they all perform well.



AA has gotten much better, both in terms of service and routes, in the past 18 months.

I.hold 1K and Executive Platinum and IMHO AA has eclipsed UAin both regards.

Neither airline offer International Service on par with BA, Cathay, ANA, JAL, Quantas etc. but on domestic they both seem to be improving.

As far as PHL is concerned it’s functional but not passenger friendly especially terminals A (international) B and C (both are overly crowded)

Baggage claim has to be one of the worst in USA.
 
USPIT10L
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:24 am

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:28 pm

Probably JFK, knowing PanAm....was probably a 72S.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!
 
User avatar
September11
Posts: 3687
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 12:49 am

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:28 pm

EA flew MLB-DAB, DAB-MLB (nonstop, daily) -- on a mainline
Airliners.net of the Future
 
panam330
Posts: 2173
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:58 am

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:47 pm

USPIT10L wrote:
Don't forget CO flew EWRDAB and EWRMLB with 735s until 9/11, so there is a steady history of service to the Northeast outside of US Airways or Delta.

CO flew EWR-DAB well past 9/11, with everything from a 145 to a 753, to a 764 during race weeks. I did it on a 145 in January 2007, right after the tornado that tore through DAB and the ERAU campus.
 
SurfandSnow
Posts: 1616
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:09 am

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:04 am

I have to think it makes sense for UA to at least consider resuming DAB. Ditto for MLB and TLH. Maybe UA could even give APF a try.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!
 
FlyingSicilian
Posts: 1639
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:37 am

In the late 07 early 08 timeframe I flew an outfit called USA3000 IIRC MLB-BWI. barebones from what I recall but cheap. MLB and PBI were my airports of choice when I was at VRB. MLB was very easy to navigate. Glad to see it doing well.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"
 
evank516
Topic Author
Posts: 2194
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:37 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
I have to think it makes sense for UA to at least consider resuming DAB. Ditto for MLB and TLH. Maybe UA could even give APF a try.


UA left DAB over a subsidy spat when AirTran got money to fly to BWI but UA didn't get it to fly to IAD. The two did not part amicably so I'm guessing we won't see it happen any time soon. DL tried ATL-APF last decade and it didn't go well. AA axed MIA-APF shortly after 9/11. If any airline were going to fly to APF, it would be DL or AA and since they both already cut the market, I doubt it'll happen again.

panam330 wrote:
USPIT10L wrote:
Don't forget CO flew EWRDAB and EWRMLB with 735s until 9/11, so there is a steady history of service to the Northeast outside of US Airways or Delta.

CO flew EWR-DAB well past 9/11, with everything from a 145 to a 753, to a 764 during race weeks. I did it on a 145 in January 2007, right after the tornado that tore through DAB and the ERAU campus.


EWR-DAB operated until September of 2008. It was a mix of E145s and 737s depending on the season and it fluctuated between 1 and 2 flights. The amount of passenger traffic CO attracted with EWR-DAB averaged about 75,000 pax per year, and it was part of the argument to lure B6. B6 surpassed that 75,000 passenger mark during it's first year of service by almost 10,000 pax, and the following year B6 carried more than 90,000 pax on JFK-DAB. Despite their size and relative proximity to MCO, it is definitely proven that these airports can support flights to the Northeast. CO left MLB right after 9/11 and I think NK operated LGA-MLB during the 2000s. DL also flew MLB-JFK/LGA during the mid-late 2000s time frame as well and the service lasted for a few years until the recession.

September11 wrote:
EA flew MLB-DAB, DAB-MLB (nonstop, daily) -- on a mainline

They also flew LGA-DAB daily in the 1970s on a 727.
 
Kronesian
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:26 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing AA fly to DCA from MLB. It makes sense, we had Eastern/Delta/USA3000/Direct Air/Presidential Airways all in the past fly to the Washington area. There has been an explosion in population here with the addition of all these engineering companies lately.
KMLB
 
evank516
Topic Author
Posts: 2194
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:35 pm

Kronesian wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing AA fly to DCA from MLB. It makes sense, we had Eastern/Delta/USA3000/Direct Air/Presidential Airways all in the past fly to the Washington area. There has been an explosion in population here with the addition of all these engineering companies lately.


I think it would certainly be viable. It's probably more of a slot issue than anything else.
 
freakyrat
Posts: 2128
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:50 pm

evank516 wrote:
Yeah, lots of new Philly flights lately. Hopefully they all perform well.


PHL-SBN is coming within the next 18 months. Hope it does as well as DFW and CLT
 
SurfandSnow
Posts: 1616
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:09 am

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:54 pm

evank516 wrote:
DL tried ATL-APF last decade and it didn't go well. AA axed MIA-APF shortly after 9/11. If any airline were going to fly to APF, it would be DL or AA and since they both already cut the market, I doubt it'll happen again.


Back in those days, MIA was often said to be the worst airport in the country. Even 5-10 years ago, it was an awful experience connecting between AA mainline and Eagle's ATR 72s at MIA. While filing my delayed checked baggage report at RSW, the employee rolled her eyes and said that checked bags missed the connection from LAX to RSW via MIA all too often. It was no wonder that flight got cut! The experience left a lot to be desired, even after the fancy new MIA terminal opened.

DL didn't do much better. Asking people to connect through the zoo that is ATL to/from a cramped CRJ-200 was never a winning formula. If you had to endure an ATL connection, why wouldn't you opt for the superior schedules and mainline product available from nearby RSW?

IMO, the E-175 is a game changer. It's such a quiet, capable aircraft. Call me crazy, but UA(X) could start nonstop service from APF to Chicagoland (ORD) and the Tri-State Area (EWR) with these jets. After all, if the wealthy Southwest Florida snowbirds and other visitors aren't frequently coming down from and going back to the Midwest they're probably doing so from the East Coast. Forget about trying to serve APF through nearby hubs on puddlejumpers. These very well traveled folks shudder at the mere sight of a propeller plane or small regional jet!
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!
 
evank516
Topic Author
Posts: 2194
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: AA Announces PHL-MLB

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:07 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
evank516 wrote:
DL tried ATL-APF last decade and it didn't go well. AA axed MIA-APF shortly after 9/11. If any airline were going to fly to APF, it would be DL or AA and since they both already cut the market, I doubt it'll happen again.


Back in those days, MIA was often said to be the worst airport in the country. Even 5-10 years ago, it was an awful experience connecting between AA mainline and Eagle's ATR 72s at MIA. While filing my delayed checked baggage report at RSW, the employee rolled her eyes and said that checked bags missed the connection from LAX to RSW via MIA all too often. It was no wonder that flight got cut! The experience left a lot to be desired, even after the fancy new MIA terminal opened.

DL didn't do much better. Asking people to connect through the zoo that is ATL to/from a cramped CRJ-200 was never a winning formula. If you had to endure an ATL connection, why wouldn't you opt for the superior schedules and mainline product available from nearby RSW?

IMO, the E-175 is a game changer. It's such a quiet, capable aircraft. Call me crazy, but UA(X) could start nonstop service from APF to Chicagoland (ORD) and the Tri-State Area (EWR) with these jets. After all, if the wealthy Southwest Florida snowbirds and other visitors aren't frequently coming down from and going back to the Midwest they're probably doing so from the East Coast. Forget about trying to serve APF through nearby hubs on puddlejumpers. These very well traveled folks shudder at the mere sight of a propeller plane or small regional jet!


There was talk about B6 trying to fly to APF but I think the NIMBYs shut it down.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos