Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LondonXtreme
Topic Author

Why no US carriers fly to BNE from mainland?

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:08 pm

Considering AC offers nonstop service from YVR and the market between US and Australia is way bigger. Is it possible for UA to start BNE from either SFO or LAX? or DL and AA from LAX?
Last edited by LondonXtreme on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RushmoreAir

Re: Why no US carriers in BNE?

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:13 pm

Not to be pedantic, but HA does offer 3x weekly service on HNL-BNE. [edit - title fixed to reflect mainland focus]. But the point largely stands ... BNE is not well served by U.S. carriers in general.

I would imagine it's not as much of a tourist destination as MEL/SYD for U.S. point of origin traffic, so for carriers with the J.V. (DL/VA and AA/QF) it would make more sense for the Australian operator to handle BNE-US flights if they skew towards Australia point of origin.
Last edited by RushmoreAir on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NW UA DL F9 CO WN LO QF FI AC MU CA EU LH LX DY B6 AA HA NZ MW HU U2 SK AF EK IB HX WS G4 AZ IG 4B

The views and opinions as expressed in this post are entirely my own and are not those of my employer, Hawaiian Airlines, Inc

smi0006

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:17 pm

QF will fly 11 times per week with a 789 to LAX, 7 services continue on to JFK, four turning around. I could see AA in BNE along with even MEL, if the JV is approved with QF. AA would take over the four QF flights, and QF would launch BNE-ORD, or SYD-ORD, and if AA take over the 787 on MEL-LAX QF could then launch MEL-DFW.

UA I can’t see in BNE they don’t have any feed from the AU end. AC have a codeshare with VA which helps them, and no competition to Canada direct ex-BNE. Also Brisbane airport is rumoured to heavily sponsor AC. But never say never, UA may want to get the jump on any QF service to SFO ex-BNE, as many thought UA would launch MEL-SFO before QF.

As for DL they have a JV with VA who have a daily 77W, they don’t seem interested in AU beyond SYD. But they would have feed at both ends, but can the market support another DL/VA route? I’d be doubtful?
Last edited by smi0006 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LondonXtreme
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 pm

RushmoreAir wrote:
Not to be pedantic, but HA does offer 3x weekly service on HNL-BNE. But the point largely stands ... BNE is not well served by U.S. carriers in general.

I would imagine it's not as much of a tourist destination as MEL/SYD for U.S. point of origin traffic, so for carriers with the J.V. (DL/VA and AA/QF) it would make more sense for the Australian operator to handle BNE-US flights if they skew towards Australia point of origin.

Does anyone know how QF and VA doing on BNE-LAX?

BoeingGuy

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:20 pm

RushmoreAir wrote:
Not to be pedantic, but HA does offer 3x weekly service on HNL-BNE. But the point largely stands ... BNE is not well served by U.S. carriers in general.

The title says "mainland" so I assume the OP knew about HA and was excluding that from this topic. It's a valid question.

Actually I would think that BNE is in fact a bigger tourist destination than MEL is for US travelers. BNE is close to the Great Barrier Reef and some warmer weather destinations that are popular. MEL has the Great Ocean Road and a good jumping off point to Tasmania, which is awesome but a bit unknown to US travelers.

My suspicion is that MEL can attract more high yielding business traffic than BNE can.

smi0006

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:22 pm

RushmoreAir wrote:

Not to be picky, but the AA QF JV hasn’t been approved by the DOT yet, first round was knocked back, second round they wanted more info- no idea where it’s currently at. QF and AA I believe stopped codesharing on the AA LAX-SYD flight and altered FF redemption and collection to prove a point to the DOT the route wouldn’t be as viable without the JV and it was downgauged to a 787 from a 77W.

BNE is a tricky one for QF due to their premium heavy 789s, I’ll be interested how they go filling up the front and with such a small economy. But QLD is changing and Brisbane is an up and coming city.

NTLDaz

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:26 pm

RushmoreAir wrote:

Brisbane itself is not much of a tourist destination is true - I spent a week there one day :)

However it has quite a few Americans transiting through there on the way to Cairns for the Great Barrier Reef. I fly BNE - CNS fortnightly and there are always a stack of Americans on the plane. UA not having a true feeder airline in BNE restricts their chances of starting the route.

I wonder if we'll ever see a resumption of CNS - LAX.

janders

Re: Why no US carriers fly to BNE from mainland?

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:33 pm

Well United did fly to Brisbane (and Cairns as well).
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

B747forever

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:42 pm

janders wrote:

What was the routing to those cities?
Work Hard, Fly Right

tpaewr

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:52 pm

janders wrote:

Where did UA fly from? I know CNS was inherited from CO from GUM. Years prior in the days of Continental HNL hub both BNE & CNS has service XXX-HNL but I wasn’t aware of old UA flying there. Was it nonstop or a tag?

If BNE returns I would expect SFO with a 788

MIflyer12

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:41 pm

NTLDaz wrote:
RushmoreAir wrote:

Brisbane itself is not much of a tourist destination is true - I spent a week there one day :)

However it has quite a few Americans transiting through there on the way to Cairns for the Great Barrier Reef.

How many Americans visit CNS without going to MEL or SYD? Not many, I would guess.

NTLDaz

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:48 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
RushmoreAir wrote:

However it has quite a few Americans transiting through there on the way to Cairns for the Great Barrier Reef.

How many Americans visit CNS without going to MEL or SYD? Not many, I would guess.

Just a guess as well but I'd think not many don't visit Sydney as well as Cairns but a lot less would do Melbourne. I would think a lot would do US - SYD - CNS - BNE ( transit ) - US.

LAXintl

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:49 pm

BNE on UA was a tag on the 744 from SYD. Might also have been a tag from AKL briefly at one time but I can't recall for sure.

CNS was inherited from the merger via GUM and ended in 2015.

As others mentioned CO had their own service to BNE/CNS during DC-10 days via HNL.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

NTLDaz

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:51 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
RushmoreAir wrote:

From memory ( and could be wrong) UA ran SFO - SYD- BNE and LAX - SYD- MEL with SYD a bit of a scissor hub. I could have LAX and SFO wrong way round.

CNS was from Guam.

NTLDaz

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:52 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
RushmoreAir wrote:

From memory ( and could be wrong) UA ran SFO - SYD- BNE and LAX - SYD- MEL with SYD a bit of a scissor hub. I could have LAX and SFO wrong way round.

CNS was from Guam.

LondonXtreme
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:57 pm

How about SFO-AKL-BNE? Maybe SFO-BNE-MEL-SFO also work

NTLDaz

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:06 pm

LondonXtreme wrote:

BNE to SFO via MEL ? Wouldn't be very enticing for BNE passenger. Flying a couple of hours south west to head north east. Would add 5 hours to the trip . May as well go via LAX

eta unknown

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:10 pm

The UA SYD-BNE tag lasted only about 6 months in the 90's.

VA now operates BNE-LAX 6x/week (5 daylight, 1 evening)... the 7th weekly flight was cancelled in order to resume MEL-LAX due to limited 77W availability.

QF 789 currently daily BNE-LAX-JFK with 744 operating the new additional LAX turnaround services. When route fully transitions to 789 soon, the extra flights will operate 2-4x/week depending on season.

HA 332 operates BNE-HNL 3x/week with extra flights in peak season. At one time operated 5x/week with 763, but when route transitioned to 332 it was too difficult to fill down the back. JQ also operated BNE-HNL but the service was short-lived due dame reason.

BNE versus SYD/MEL challenges... as discussed several times before in these threads:
a) BNE population (includes Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast/Toowoomba catchment area) is smaller;
b) Significantly less personal wealth compared to SYD/MEL;
c) Limited corporate business ("branch office city" was an old nickname) as little headquartered here compared to SYD/MEL.
While filling economy is no problem, filling the premium cabins year round are a challenge (see B&C above)

LondonXtreme
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:10 pm

NTLDaz wrote:
LondonXtreme wrote:

BNE to SFO via MEL ? Wouldn't be very enticing for BNE passenger. Flying a couple of hours south west to head north east. Would add 5 hours to the trip . May as well go via LAX

Seems like the flying distance to North America from BNE is slightly less than SYD and MEL, it has to be a nonstop, otherwise it's pointless. I have heard that NZ flight from SFO carries a lot of passengers to BNE and MEL via AKL.

bzcat

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:26 pm

AA is the only US airline that may service BNE from mainland. And only if the AA-QF JV is approved.

ZK-NBT

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:22 am

NTLDaz wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:

CNS was from Guam.

Not at the same time afaik, UA flew LAX-AKL-MEL for years with 744’s from around 1991-2002, LAX-SYD-BNE was from 1991-1994 iirc.

LondonXtreme wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
LondonXtreme wrote:

Seems like the flying distance to North America from BNE is slightly less than SYD and MEL, it has to be a nonstop, otherwise it's pointless. I have heard that NZ flight from SFO carries a lot of passengers to BNE and MEL via AKL.

NZ carry about a 777 load of pax daily from Australia to North America.

zeke

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:25 am

BNE is like a large country town that shuts down at 9pm.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Velocity7

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:39 am

eta unknown wrote:
The UA SYD-BNE tag lasted only about 6 months in the 90's.

VA now operates BNE-LAX 6x/week (5 daylight, 1 evening)... the 7th weekly flight was cancelled in order to resume MEL-LAX due to limited 77W availability.

QF 789 currently daily BNE-LAX-JFK with 744 operating the new additional LAX turnaround services. When route fully transitions to 789 soon, the extra flights will operate 2-4x/week depending on season.

HA 332 operates BNE-HNL 3x/week with extra flights in peak season. At one time operated 5x/week with 763, but when route transitioned to 332 it was too difficult to fill down the back. JQ also operated BNE-HNL but the service was short-lived due dame reason.

BNE versus SYD/MEL challenges... as discussed several times before in these threads:
a) BNE population (includes Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast/Toowoomba catchment area) is smaller;
b) Significantly less personal wealth compared to SYD/MEL;
c) Limited corporate business ("branch office city" was an old nickname) as little headquartered here compared to SYD/MEL.
While filling economy is no problem, filling the premium cabins year round are a challenge (see B&C above)

Re the last comment: I have travelled BNE-JFK 4 times per year for the last 5 years. Whilst I can't speak to yields, the Business and PE cabins on VA7/8 are always full and it is nigh impossible to get a FF awards ticket on them. On all of my trips I reckon I've only seen empty seats in J a few times. Ironically, on the 3 or 4 occasions I've had to come out come of SYD or MEL (VA1 and VA23 respectively), the Business class cabins where <60% full

I wouldn't assume BNE struggles to support the Premium cabins to the USA - there is a lot less competition with only VA and QF direct on the route to a singular designation, LAX. By nature, this may bode well for both VA and QF and the market may very well be 'right sized' hence the lack of any other US carriers on the route. Apply the same capacity as SYD and to multiple US cities though and it would all change very quickly!

EvanWSFO

Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:38 am

Sooner or later, we'll see BNE/-USA service. Likely from SFO. The facts don't lie, MEL is and always will be more or a money maker than BNE, regardless where the route comes from. The Australian carriers, for now have this market very well covered.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

gatibosgru

Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:43 am

smi0006 wrote:
RushmoreAir wrote:
Not to be pedantic, but HA does offer 3x weekly service on HNL-BNE.

Not to be picky, but the AA QF JV hasn’t been approved by the DOT yet

I love this forum
@DadCelo

eta unknown

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:39 am

zeke wrote:

What an utter insensitive and inaccurate post. Get your facts straight before you start insulting a major metropolis... BNE only closes down at 9PM on Fridays.... it's 7PM all other days.

StudiodeKadent

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:04 am

Qantas and Virgin Australia have the market basically sewn up. UA doesn't have a domestic Australian partner either.

The two mainland US carriers with a chance are AA (due to Qantas feed as well as having 787-8s and 787-9s), and Delta (due to VA feed). However, VA already has "too much airplane" with its 777-300ERs, and Delta doesn't have the jet for the job. At best, I could see Delta maybe sending an A330neo to Brisbane ex. Los Angeles, but they don't have the jets yet and I'd think VA needs to get more appropriate jets of their own (most likely A350-900s) before such a situation could be viable.

So basically, the market is QF's bitch, VA have too much airplane currently so Delta is a non-starter, and UA has no feed on the BNE end.

On the other hand though, BNE makes a reasonably good connecting hub for US flyers visiting Australia for the most part.

If United flew to BNE from SFO they'd have the advantage of a monopoly route, as well as appropriate metal for the route (the 788 would work well), but unless they have some sort of domestic partner they're going to have problems, and Air New Zealand may get a little grumpy since a lot of their customers are Australians connecting via Auckland.

smi0006

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:00 am

gatibosgru wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
RushmoreAir wrote:
Not to be pedantic, but HA does offer 3x weekly service on HNL-BNE.

I love this forum

Ha this forums gotten so cold and brutal recently I was trying to be polite, but highlight things may change when the approval comes through. Hope I didn’t come off flippant.

VirginFlyer

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:10 am

eta unknown wrote:
zeke wrote:

What an utter insensitive and inaccurate post. Get your facts straight before you start insulting a major metropolis... BNE only closes down at 9PM on Fridays.... it's 7PM all other days.

:lol: Wait till you see Perth...

In fairness, during the time I lived there last decade, Brisbane seemed to grow up a lot and was moving beyond the big country town mentality. Sure it’s no Sydney or Melbourne, but it was definitely developing.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

RushmoreAir

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:15 am

smi0006 wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

I love this forum

Ha this forums gotten so cold and brutal recently I was trying to be polite, but highlight things may change when the approval comes through. Hope I didn’t come off flippant.

Fair dinkum! Originally the title was just U.S. carriers, leaving out the mainland bit, so wanted to make sure we didn’t forget our ‘ohana in the 50th state.

I forget sometimes the AA/QF JV hasn’t gone through (but given this administration, it’s probably only a matter of time)
NW UA DL F9 CO WN LO QF FI AC MU CA EU LH LX DY B6 AA HA NZ MW HU U2 SK AF EK IB HX WS G4 AZ IG 4B

The views and opinions as expressed in this post are entirely my own and are not those of my employer, Hawaiian Airlines, Inc

SeaEagle8

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:55 am

BNE-USA will always be an adequate volume route but it definitely lacks the premium required for a significant increase.
I am sure there will be additional flights added, but I wouldn’t expect too much more to be honest.
NSW based avgeek

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos